A very traditional style of pipe tobacco presentation providing a link with established craftsmanship of Irish tobacco blenders. Expensive top quality heavy bodied flue cured Virginias are purchased from established leaf auctions in Africa and Brazil. To this full natural flavoured tobacco is added aromatic Burley to balance and smooth the blend. Conditioned with water, the blend is slowly pressed in large steam presses for several days to meld the rich and varied aromas. The cakes are then divided into plug form, allowing the smoker to cut it and rub it out to his own preference.

BrandMurray Sons & Co, Ltd
CutPlug
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In terms of the tobacco, a moderate, darkish flavor, rather more burley-like than VA. The casing defeated me for a while, as this seems to pick up ghosts more easily than most, so I finally tried a new clay and got a very light berry flavor.

The plug is fairly easy to carve up and cut down. Once done, it takes a light about the same as the average plug, and stays lit very well although often as a low smoulder. Not an amazing plug, but well worth trying if you come across it.

Pipe Used: briars, meerschaums, a cob and a clay

Age When Smoked: just after arrival

Purchased From: James Fox

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I never had the chance to get hold of this plug before. I love flakes and plugs, my big favorite at the moment is PPP. This is why I have my problems with this tobacco now. Compared to PPP this is an old fashioned tobacco, but not in a bad way. It is heavy and bold. No problem smoking it - this is very easily ongoing smoking experince no matter which bowl I´m using. The quality of leaf is very good, handling of the chunk is as always with plugs a question of experience and preferences, whether you fold it or rub it out completely. So there is no diffenrence. The differnce comes up with mouthfeel, the reaction of your nosedrills - i definitely love va tobaccos, I also like the heavy englisch mixtures with bright latakia in it - maybe it is the burley I dislike in this mixture. Not bad at all - but not right for me at the moment. If you don´t have already tasted Mick or PPP this is propably the best choice to start with smoking plug tobacco. So recommended for experienced smokers, not for newbies.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

3 stars for this. It was very pleasant but not up in the heavens like the truly wonderful Mick Mcquaid plug. It was discontinued for a while but thankfully it is now available again. James Fox has them on their web site in Ireland. It's a rich, very traditional plug, in the navy tradition of British tobacco. It lacks any top flavouring and doesn't suffer either. Not as strong in my opinion as Warrior plug. Goes well with a morning coffee whilst perusing this site.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I came upon this plug and the Tobacconist James Barber via the Internet.

A more refined plug than say, Cob or Cannon. It could be mistaken for a fudge brownie by a small child, except for the rich tobacco aroma and there are no walnuts. It is dense and moist so whittling isn't what you do, but it cuts with a utility knife. Not gooey, but close to that. Rubbing out seemed a daunting task, so I teased it to a reasonable texture. I didn't dry it and, no, it doesn't stain the fingers.

Sweet tobacco. I detected no Lakeland essence. The burn is cool and dry. Some plugs and twists turn hard, almost charcoal-like in the bowl. This stayed spongy as I tamped the powdery ash on my way down. Here is just the right blend of burley and African and Brasilian virginias to create a naturally sweet and flavorful smoke. Delicious. No bite potential. In no way harsh. A pleasant smoke as only plugs can deliver.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Yachtsman Plug to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

slightly edited review, based on smoking it back-to-back with warrior plug:

this, on the whole, is very similar to warrior plug. they're so close that i suspect the blends in themselves are almost identical with the only real difference being the light flavouring. like warrior plug, this is first of all baked, fermented virginia with perhaps a bit less burley added, and a bit more pronounced berry (plus a smidgen tonquin-) flavour.

it is good! smokes slow and cool, with deep fermented virginia notes and a little sweetness peeping through.

i find it rather strange that warrior plug is described by the manufacturer as being more flavoured than this. perhaps the blends are different from what they used to be in their murray days, as they're now both probably made by orlik.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It's a plug! A very dense, dark, moist block of solid tobacco - not an aromatic but there's a rich and very pleasing caramel/toffee/butterscotch smell with a background of - something like - cooked black cherries. You do need a sharp knife but once sliced I found it rubbed out rather easily into moist tangled strands. It would probably benefit from a bit of time to dry - but I just stuff it in and spark up (& it burns fine). There's not much of the fruit note in the pipe, something of a (what I'm learning to describe as) Lakeland soapy floral beginning - but it's not like smoking a bar of Imperial Leather - and this fades at once. I'd agree with the noted similarity to Peterson's Irish Flake. There's no bite; there are no complicated aromatic arabesques - it's a fine straightforward tobacco; there's a healthy dose of vitamin N and the smoke is cool and plentiful. It's not, to my mind, quite as yummy and powerful as Irish Flake but it's a perfectly fine alternative to it.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Murray's. Yachtsman. Navy Plug.

True to its Navy roots, this plug refuses to cooperate in rubbing out to anything closely resembling a ribbon or shag when sliced thinly and aggressively rubbed out. You get chunks, and by God you will like these chunks. Period. No debate.

This one also has its Irish roots hard wired into its DNA.

Somewhat akin to Peterson's Irish Flake in strength, density and composition. A wee bit of flavoring not apparent in Pete's offering, but not an intense "granny's panties" topping (not that I'd know anything about that comparison from personal experience).

A nice, pleasant addition to very good tobacco, very compressed in texture. Lights well, burns very slowly. No bite.

A nautical bit of weed if there ever was one. Aptly named. With its coarse texture, perfect seasoning and impeccable breeding, this is THE tobacco for smoking while pursuing an afternoon's relaxation on the water...

...or sitting on your ass reviewing pipe tobacco while sipping a lovely beverage. Once this weed reaches cruising altitude, it produces huge clouds of wonderful smoke. Just don't attempt to tame this beast with a dull knife, a shortage of matches or a bad attitude.

Very nice plug offering.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

UPDATE

I used the Stein Method on this tobacco, ie chopping it up really fine, and just gravity fill the pipe, gently tapping the bowl for the tobacco to settle.

alot of more flavor is now apparent, even though the pipe gets a bit hotter. Taste is now at medium, and I have to up it to *

ORIGINAL review follows:

Me and Pipestud must have gotten completely different tobaccos.

The one I recieved is a mild, slightly sweet VA/Bur. A bit dissapointing since I got this entierly on the review submitted here ;)

The burn characteristics of this tobacco is truly outstanding. The room note is quite nice.

A sharp knife is needed to cut the plug, since it is quite stubborn.

I bought two plugs, I have smoked one of them, and I will gladly smoke the other one. Don't know if I will buy another though. Not because of this being bad in any way, just not my cup of tea.

Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This plug was from a tin that had to be 30 years or so old. I snatched it off Ebay and while the tin was very rusted, the tobacco within was in good shape.

I'm not sure I would recommend this to anyone other than those here who enjoy a powerful Virginia/Burley blend with plenty of extra flavoring added. And frankly, whatever casing was added to this stuff has fermented or something, because I smelled a true rotten fruit odor when the lid was lifted.

I needed a power saw for this Carroll Plug. Once loaded in a very small bowled Ruthenberg, I lit up and was immediately socked in the face by a strength of leaf and fullness of flavor I have seldom encountered. Overwhelming on both counts. I tasted a somewhat burnt toast type of flavor with an extremely ripe and fruity sort of aftertaste.

Although not certain, I think I may have managed a full bowl before sliding off the couch onto the floor. My oldest son (twice my size) said he then carted me off to my bedroom after wiping sweat off my forehead and drool from my mouth.