Classical English mixture with plenty of syrian Latakia, blended with Virginia, Orientals and a pinch of Perique.

BrandWellauer & Co
Taste

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

My first latakia blend. Fully aromatic, marvelous sent and full of spicy aroma.

(Please correct the following problems: my review must be at least 25 words long)

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stumbled upon an aged tin of this at a reasonable price and jumped on it. This is a chunky ribbon of mostly light to dark brown, with a tin aroma that reminded me of some of the old Dunhills - a richly pungent sour aroma that was very enticing. This burned a little unevenly at first but after a few extra relights, it got into a groove.

The flavor started out with the Syrian latakia front and center, which offered its usual smokey, outdoorsy-type notes. The perique was noticeable but not potent and it took a backseat to the orientals about mid-bowl, when the blend's lightly pepper/sweet hints gave way to a slightly sour flavor. The Virginia was of the grassy variety which only a hint of added sweetness that offset the orientals in excellent fashion. Too sweet and the two may have fought, and I think the choice of Virginia was the right one. This was a subtly complex mixture that really only changed at mid-bowl. It was almost like smoking two different simpler blends. Kind of intriguing. I should point out that I did not have the opportunity to smoke this fresh, so I don't know what factor age played. I enjoyed it but I have no plans to cellar this one, even if I could find it easily. Recommended as a very fine representation of what Syrian latakia brings to a standard English blend, but not a reference for me.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Expected a more rich flavor. It becomes a bit harsh when not carefully smoked. A spicy character giving off a spicy, smoky note. A tobacco that needs some work and thinking in order to define accurately its contents, properties.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

“Hetfield” persisted and prompt me to ask from a friend to bring me this blend. He wasn't wrong. Finally, a Planta mixture that is close enough to my own preferences. It is quite coarse cut and maybe that is the reason it is a bit difficult to light it up. On the other hand, its cutting assists it to smoke very slowly. Other than that, it has enough sweet and flavorful Syrian Latakia. It also contains Virginia which might cause a slight tongue bite, if smoked nervously. It is stated on the box, after all, «mild on the tongue». Perique didn't trouble me much, like in other blends. It so happens, that after a good meal…it really fits. So, it is not an all day smoke. It is quite moist, thus I had to dry it out for 2 whole days. It has that distinct aroma, almost all Planta blends contain.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

It is difficult to obtain Wellauer's English Blend. And, it is not worth the effort. I was able to procure the 50g pouch--a poor presentation in itself. The cut of the tobacco is like miniature corn flakes. There is a mild, foul casing in the smell that does not improve when smoked. This is harsh, disgusting stuff. Do not waste the effort or the funds on this rubbish.

LarryF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarryF (4)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried this after it was recommended to me by the man behind the counter at my favorite pipe shop. I had never heard of Wellauer's before. I bought a 100-gram tin, which was very reasonably priced at $11.00, I think. It's a solid, quality English blend. At different times, you can taste the various tobaccos; the latakia does not overwhelm you. I can think of better English blends, but this one is pretty good. Tastes differ, so this could be someone else's favorite. By the way, the tin says it contains perique, which is not listed in the ingredients at the top of this page. There doesn't seem to be very much, though, probably just a pinch.

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A decent english blend, though posed me a series of problems. I wasn't able to light it properly, I never found the Perique it claims to contain, which was the actual reason that I bought this tobacco. My last bowl was a nightmare-if ever existed a last bowl, for I never managed to light it up and smoke it. Am I too amateur for that kind of cut? Did I forgot how to fill my pipe? No matter what, I will try it again after a (very long) while....

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I had run out of regular, all-day English mixtures, so I visited my trusted tobacconist's a bit off-schedule to find what he had to offer at this time. This blend was in there, and when asked for a description, he just shrugged. I looked up Wellauer's English Blend in Pipe Tool (though the database is a bit out of date, still a great app, highly recommended!) and found it recommended, so I bought the tin.

In the tin, there is a very wide cut of mostly bright VA with some Oriental in evidence, and a small but noticeable amount of Latakia. The tin note is of generic cosmetics, but not in too bad a way: there is a heavy topping on there.

With this sort of leaf, you have to use your widest bowls, so that's what I did. Lights up OK straight out of the tin; a little wait after stuffing lets some of the topping evaporate making for a better smoke IMHO. The burn is even, but needs a little experience, and in the end, there is some dottle left, but not all that much for such a wide cut.

The taste is sweet and gently spicy, the topping does not make it into the taste to any large extent, and I get large plumes of smoke out of this blend without it burning hot. Not too much strength in there. The room note is OK, though not exactly brilliant. I get a slight, lingering aftertaste, which is not bad at all.

From what I can find out, it seems that this blend is still being produced by Wellauer's for Switzerland only, and Planta of Germany are producing it for the rest of (at least) Europe; given the different laws on tobacco in Switzerland, the Swiss version may be quite different.

Overall, not a bad blend. It does not really compare favourably with some other broad cuts like e.g. 34th Mixture, but for the price asked, it is definitely recommendable. I'd recommend a good Bourbon to go along, or a strong black tea.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

This mixture is not bad, a very good Virginia, which is what predominates in all directions. But call it the mixture, it would be incorrect, missing a piece in my opinion, that the Latakia!

I wanted to try with an addition of 40% CIPRIAN LATAKIA............. and great great surprise! A wonderful smoky taste, sweet and smoky, easy to smoke, with a pleasant aftertaste so I never tried! What a wonderful discovery!

Therefore, all evaluations will be for my composition, not to blend the original!

If someone wants to try .........not regret it!

Brutos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brutos (11)

I like this blend a lot and have only tried the tinned version; a medium fine ribbon cut. A great all day English type along the lines of sqaudron leader. This tobacco burns well to a fine ash at the bottom, is easy on the tongue and does not dry out my mouth. It has enough complexity in the flavor and aroma to maintain interest and does so bowl after bowl. The Syrian Latakia is smooth and creamy. It's a little amusing reading these reviews where tobaccos are put to the test of satisfying a very narrow set of criteria. Having been in the wine and restaurant business for many years, such a parallel exists where good, bad and so on become absolutes. As I enjoy blends like GLP Odyssey, Charing Cross and Abingdon, and Penzance, Margate and Pelikan from others, it's nice to smoke an English or Balkan that goes well with your morning Latte. I have tried several tins of this Swiss mixture and keep it in my rotation mixed with some very big reds and some Grignolinos, Barbarescos and Beaujolais. Give Wellauer's a try to expand the range of your English/Balkans.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Strong

Wow! This is far and away the worst tobacco I've ever stuck in a pipe! When you open the pouch you're greeted with a strong and offensive odor which reminds me of warm beer past it's experation date cooking in the sun!The presentation is horrible both in it's cheezy packaging and the tobacco's own clumpy little mounds of brights and darks.The flavor was putrid as well and it's casing stayed right with me right to the bitter end of the bowl!This stuff makes Erinmore and Royal Yacht look palatable! Pass this by and run the other way! SIMPLY AWFUL!!! prep 10-7-05

UPDATE I realized what the topping is on this vile tobacco! Cheap Champagne! It smells so strongly of it that I can't believe this was'nt apparet to me quicker.I have four full 50g pouches of this stuff that I'd love to trade someone who appreciates it more than I....

Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Maybe I picked up the wrong pouch, but this tobacco seemed almost too young to be smoked. The smell in the pouch was of fresh grass, earthy, raw; and the same during the smoke. It's no smoky at all, nothing like any english blend smoked before, and I didn't like it.

Update September, 12, 2005:

this is the pouch:

I see where most of the esteemed reviewers here believe Wellauer's English Blend to be an outstanding tobacco and I heartily concur. I have never seen this tobacco presented in a pouch, it has always been in tinned form as far as I know. I received several well aged tins a couple of years ago and smoked them all over the course of a year.

Like the esteemed Jakob K., I found the visual presentation to be somewhat unusual for an English type tobacco. The cut is wide and even chunky. The Latakia presence is there in droves, and at the match I detected an unusual "spice" that bordered on an acidic taste - similar to a strong French coffee.

If you like semi-heavy English flavor and don't mind an unusually slow burning blend, then this tobacco will probably please. It is cool and dry with a fresh and clean taste.

It is also hard to find.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

This one is a stouter version of Wellauer's "Best" My tin was from '87 with vacuum seal intact. Upon opening the tin I was greeted with a quite unusual flavouring - very German as in many Torben Dansk products, but also very discreet. The Syrian Latakia smells very different from the Cyprian used nowadays, and it tends to be somewhat more rounded and mild.

WEB is cross-cut, which is rather unusual for an English blend, but it works fine and relights will not be necessary. The orientals are very present thoughout the bowl, and they make WEB a very pungent, but at the same time also a very cool affair.

I like it as a change of pace to many of the traditional English blends since it tastes more "fresh"; recommended for a sunny day on the porch.

Only downside is that WEB sometimes leaves an alkaline taste on the back of your tongue if smoked to hard. Handle with care!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a real sleeper blend. Quality leaf here with nice complexity in flavor. Very well balanced as an English should be! Along with their Syrian blend, Wellauer & Co. have some keepers. I just wish this stuff was easier to find.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)

This is a sleeper blend. While it does not have extensive distribution, it is a blend that contains quality components, good smoking experience, and is reasonably priced.

Appearance: The blend is a shorter ribbon cut that is primarily medium brownish red of various shades. There is no blond nor black leaf in this mix. I found it to be overly wet when it arrived, but it aired out nicely.

The tin aroma has the somewhat sour smell that I associate with Dunhill tinned blends.

Bowl preparation qualities are very good. It fills the bowl nicely without overpacking. It is easy to get a bowl set up with a light touch to the bottom potion, but firmly packed toward the top without plugging.

The blend develops nicely through the course of the bowl, a characteristic that I value highly; I don?t want to experience the same flavor from top to bottom. Sweetness is a bit on the low end of the scale, while the spice and astringency is at the higher end. There is an elusive floral sense early in the bowl that settles down into a deep, robust spiciness later.

This is a real winner. As far as I have seen, it is available in 100g tins only, which I find unfortunate. I would prefer 50g tins, but this is a minor point. I wish that it were more readily available, as I have rarely seen it.

Rated 85/100 for flavor, 80/100 for burning characteristics, and 85/100 overall. An excellent smoke.

March, 2005

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a northern european attempt at making an "english" blend and IMO they have done very well, indeed. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by an aroma and appearance very similar to Dunhill's nightcap, but you will discern the Syrian latakia as opposed to the Dunhill's Cyprian offerring. Moisture seems a little high, but does not seem to affect burn which is about two relights to get going. The initial flavor is wonderful with a distinct pungency common to this type of blend. The perique is noticable but not in your face and settles down about mid-bowl to let the other leaves shine. The interplay between the virginia and syrian latakia is wonderful. The turkish is there, but only as support.Toward the end of the bowl, strength builds, but not in an overpowering way. The ash that is left is dry and you are ready for more. This blend is not as full as nightcap despite the likenesses previously stated, so that this can be an all-day smoke. Pricewise, this is very affordable. A 100g tin only cost $12.00 U.S. Give this one a whirl, I believe you will enjoy it thoroughly. Rating 4.5 out of 5 points