BrandHouse of Windsor
Strength
Taste
2.7
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am smoking up a pouch of the original US Tobacco Union Leader given to me by a friend. It came very dry and I got some moisture in it before smoking.

This is a basic burley blend with a mild honey topping. I can believe there is a little Virginia in there, but it does not contribute much to the taste as close as I can tell. Occasionally there is a little tart in the flavor profile.

This blend is slower burning than Carter Hall, and I never experienced any of the bitter at the end of the bowl that is often part of a burley blend. It is a pleasant smoke and I would pick up a pouch every now and then if it were available OTC.

Eventually I will get some of the "match" sold at pipesandcigars to compare. I'll update the review when I do.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A true working man's blend. A little maple topping with an apple note that isn't always noticeable. The burley is a little nutty, woody, and earthy, and is the star component with the citrus, honey, and grassy Virginia being in the background. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns well, but don't puff too hard or you'll risk a little bite and/or harshness. The flavor is mostly consistent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a decent after taste. An all day smoke that is really a two and a half star blend when compared to other mixtures in this genre.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Wosbald's review is excellent. I was searching for a descriptor of this blend's tin aroma and he nailed it with "mulled cider". Perfect! And yes, this has a slight taste of honey but is predominantly good old-fashioned codger burley.

Taste-wise, this is a four star blend and I wish it would come back (I smoked from a 2 oz tin). It really wanted to bite, though, and I had to be careful not to allow it. Smoked slowly, this is a wonderful old burley with a pinch of VA. I found this much preferable to PA or CH and even my modified Granger. I can't comment about the overall quality tin-to-tin since I only smoked one but based on it, this is a solid 3 star blend, missing 4 stars based only on that elusive quality called "depth". If this were readily available, it would be in my regular rotation.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This blend is long gone. My Father smoked this stuff exclusively. It was some of the first tobacco I tried many years ago. For me it was the best OTC blend available in it's day. It's long gone, and any attempts at match blends left me disappointed. I was recently gifted a pouch of sealed old stock that I will keep for special days. I have been long out of it, but it brings back so many fond memories of days with my Father. The smell of it burning brings back memories.

Pipe Used: Cobs, and briar

Age When Smoked: Old stock gifted to me.

Purchased From: Gift of new old stock.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

I own an ancient [empty] tin of this, and was quite happy to taste this supposed revival of an old American standard, a pleasant, uneventful, typical non-Cavendish burley/Virginia blend.

It is too bland for me, but it is not bad.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For those of you who subscribe to Pipes & Tobaccos magazine, the Summer 2003 issue contained William Serad's visitation of many ancient blends being re-released by the House of Windsor. Being the tobacco freak that I am, I quickly spent $200 on all the available brands; Briggs, Barking Dog, Revelation, Bourbon Street, Field & Stream, Mapleton, Union Leader and Country Doctor. (I could not locate Model or Argosy).

I chose Union Leader to smoke first. A mostly Burley with a little Virginia combination which is lightly topped by what I believe to be honey. Upon opening the 12 oz can, I noticed a honey essence along with a lovely smell of pure unmolested tobacco. The leaf was very dry, packed very well, and burned cool and easily from top to bottom with just one or two relights. I smoked the stuff almost non-stop all day.

The room note is superb. The experience was "all tobacco" with just a hint of sweetness from the honey topping. While certainly not bland to begin with, the flavor and power increased the more I smoked, and by the time I hit rock bottom, the flavor and nicotine punch was delightful and dizzying.

I am glad this old favorite is back. If you enjoy top-shelf Burley mixed with some fine Virginia and processed in a unique and satisfying way, grab a tin of Union Leader and go to work on it, pardner!

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Union Leader - also in a red tin - has a similar consistency and flavour as Prince Albert and Carter Hall. All are fine or crimp cut white burley with a light sweet maple-line aroma. Strength is mild and one dimensional. I made the mistake of buying the large tin of this, which I never got around to finishing. Possibly a good all dayer for those old timers who were brought up on these blends, but it's efinitely not for me.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I grew up listening to my Dad tell me how he smoked Union Leader and Flying Dutchman mixed. He quit smoking pipes back in the late 70's. In 2000, when I got serious into pipes, he told me that the Union Leader I was smoking was the same as it was back in the 60's-70's, but the Flying Dutchman was horribly different. I sure do wish he was still alive to share a few bowls with.

Anywho, this is a great Burley blend. For reference, a bit stronger than Carter Hall.

Pairs well with just about any uncarbonated beverage.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This is one of those 'who cares?' reviews. Union Leader is part of a group of old time blends that House of Windsor revived, kept on life support for a few years, and then snuffed out. I just happened upon a can a few weeks back in a local shop and thought I might as well revisit the blend.

Union Leader is a mildly topped Burley-dominated blend that should recall various other American classics. I find in vaguely apple-ish, but the top note is subtle. I actually preferred that recent tin to either Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Then again, I suspect that the rarity factor made it taste better.

Even if it were widely available again, I can't imagine that I'd be investing in much Union Leader. But it was a nice little diversion when it was around.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have had this tin in my cellar since July of 05. I just now got around to smoking it. I think all of the other reviewer who gave Union Leader favor and recommendations have summed it up nicely. This is just a plain lightly topped predominantly burly blend with a slight hint of honey. The room note brings back memories of times hanging around the old fogies while they puffed away. I now understand why this was such a popular smoke. I am sorry to hear this blend is no longer in production. Hopefully I can find another burly blend that compares.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Update. I've revisited this tobacco recently. It's still a great, mildly flavored and simple burley blend. Still a lot of fun to smoke when I need something basic and undemanding. I think, however, I will rate it at three stars. Original review follows:

Oh yeah! For the burley smoker, this is a must do.

When I first cracked the seal on the can the honey like topping wafted out. I normally would prefer a cube cut, but this packs and lights easily. Once underway, the honey slips back into the backround but is present in just the right amount. I recently order a large cob (direct from the Missouri Meershaum outfit; they have web site on line) and to smoke this in a good cob is to turn back the clock about 50 years. This is my go to smoke when I don't want anything complex. It's a mild, very tasty smoke and at a reasonable price. For something a little more complex I go to Revelation or Country Doctor, for simplicity this is it. (2-10-05)

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to like this, but I have ruined myself by smoking Burley blends from Wilke and Peretti. This stuff is just too harsh for me these days.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

Straight burley leaf, that is all. I tasted an earthy almost soil like flavor. Not bad, but not for me. This is what I would assume tobacco tasted like in the early years of the american colonies.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Heres a great burley blend for you to try. I found Union Leader not to have that usual burley bitter taste at the bottom. A definate step up from the other "drug store" blends. As others have stated its hard to see why this blend was discontinued while others have lasted. This tobacco is a great "working" tobacco. I work outside for a living and this one fits the bill during those hot S. Florida days, as it doesn't require alot of relights or attention. Seems to smoke best in a cob as well. Be warned however: While reading another review of a HoW product the reviewer had mentioned differing quality from pouch to pouch. I too have had this happen with Union Leader. My first can was excellent. Prompting me to buy another. It was not so good. It was bitey and bitter. Wishing to get another can like the first, I purchased again. This 3rd 2oz can was good again. So I promptly returned to the store and bought the large can which now resides unopened in my "cellar". I do hope they are from the same batch. 11/10/04

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Ooomph! I like this one. Since all of you American people have had access to the Danish blends for decades, I figured I had to try some US-weed for a change. Here in Denmark - and the rest of Europe for that matter, US tobaccos are not available. Well ok Edgeworth and Half & Half is, but that is about it.

I'm normally not very much into Burley blends, but this one is damn good! Dark cross-cut Burleys of high quality with a touch of VA. A very delicate and natural honey flavor is added for the sweetnes. The true tobacco taste though, is very much in the foreground.

It burns a little hot on the palate but nothing worth talking about. A very rustic blend which I smoke on daily basis. I will definitely stash some more of this stuff, explore some more from Winsor and soon try some of the McClellands.

Way to go USA and way to go Internet for globalizing the tobacco market!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

As close to a very good "all day smoke" as you will find. Not complicated but tasty and satisfying. Smells pretty good for a mostly real tobacco blend. I have to agree that this blend would be most at home in my long since gone '55 Ford Pickup glove box.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a simple, plain, good old-fashioned, all-American smoke. Nothing fancy in this blend and it does make one wax nostalgic. I found it smoked best for me in bent, stubby, thick-shank pipes. I would not smoke it on a daily basis but I will certainly return to it from time-to-time.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This and Model both really stand out in the Burley crowd. I don't understand why they were discontinued, while dreck such as half-n-half, and other assorted burley nightmares continue to sell like hot cakes. It has a light honey taste that really accentuates the burley nuttiness. This will be a perfect summertime, corn cob smoke. Don't let the cigarette reference scare you. You might detect a small amount of it in the room note, but other than that it doesn't make its presence known.