Springwater is a blend of Golden sun-cured
Virginia ready rubbed flakes and Black, shiny Cavendish. This fine
exotic and cool burning tobacco gets its irresistable note from
Manilla fruit aroma.

BrandVon Eicken
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
Packaging50 g pouch, 100 g tin
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

The "VANILLA fruit" in the description above is a slip-of-the-finger. The tin says "MANILLA fruit", and the German in DAN's famous catalogue says "MANILLAFRUCHT AROMA". This is a DAN Tobacco selection, from Germany. "Manilla" is the German spelling of Manila, the capital of the Philippines, on Luzón island.

Manila fruit aroma refers to MANILA ELEMI, the soft, colourless resin of CANARIUM INDICUM, or Java Almond (also known as Luzón Almond), one of 14 genera of tropical balsameaceous trees yielding a variety of commercial gums, balsamic resins and oils. (I found all this in my trusty old Britannica, under the article NUT.) Sehr exotisch, as DAN would say.

The blend does smell and taste vaguely of almond paste, or rather almond-flavoured praline, the kind of confection the French call frangipane; not excessively, though: this is not a savagely cased tobacco.

The basic mélange is some "wild-cut" (large) bright Virginia, some tan, broken-flake Cav leaf, and a lot of black Cavendish. The result is light but still tasting of tobacco, airily spicy, clean-burning and decidedly agreeable. Though this kind of Cavendish-dominated mixture is simply too lightweight for my taste, I think that aficionados of mild aromatics will love SPRINGWATER.

It comes in a vacuum-sealed goldfoil pouch tied with a ribbon, like candy, ensconced in a large, handsomely illustrated 100g étui?très de luxe!

Think of it as an exotic, nut-rich twinky.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

By far this is not a good tobacco. It's not "high quality selected leaf" or something like the aromatic Larsen, Peterson et al. I got it for a fairly cheap price from an e-tailer and having a puff of it right now. My pouch indeed says "VANILLA" fruit aroma, but also mentions to be hand blended. What ever this means. The tobacco consists of broken and rubbed VA flakes, and a high amount of Black Cavendish. All in all it is rather too dry than too moist. Smell reminds me of fondant and dark chocolate - quite strange because I expected "Exotic" (for example pineapple, mango, banana, ...) and didn't detect anything fruity. Filled an inexpensive Kansas pipe using the Frank method. Quite easy to light and stay lit. Puffs away cool and tastes more and more like coconut with chocolate and roasted almonds. Not too high on Vitamin N, and surprisingly no bite at all. Very cool smoke, indeed resembling flavoured cigarettes. No gurgle, though towards the end of the bowl it tastes more and more like cigarettes. The aroma stays throughout the bowl, likely to leave a ghost in the pipe. This is the only thing to criticize about the baccy. Room note is exceptionally pleasant, and considering its uncomplicated and smooth smoking properties and the price (!!!) I dare recommend this mixture, scoring 2.5 of 5 stars. Don't expect wonders!

MobinS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MobinS (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

it is a strong blend. meduim flacoring. it tastes and smells like cigarettes. it is an OK blend.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A friend gave me a pouch of this, when i opened the smell was like aged dried prune and plums. it tasted like cigarettes and burned hot,the last quarter of the bowl had too much tar in it and was hard to light up. the nicotine content was at the low side, my girlfriend said the room note is good but feels artificial and has a hint of cigarette smell in it.

pros: no tongue bite, acceptable room note, cigarette taste(some people like it)

cons: does not burn cool as the description promises, high tar, cigarette taste(I don't like it)

there are much better aromatics, there is no point in smoking a cigarette tasting aromatic with no special taste in it.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Strong Very Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I did not expect too much when I purchased this blend. But wow, it is a very good aromatic blend. I enjoyed it first with my aromatic-dedicated pipe. The taste it nice but it may be polluted with the residue inside the cake. One week ago, I started smoking it with my meerschaum and the taste just boomed. Yes, the few mudly-liked elements from this blend matched perfectly with the marine smell of the meerschaum. It would be definitely one of the blends in my permanent rotations. Hightly recommended!

Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

When this blend first hit the market in the early 1990s, Von Eicken kept their involvement a tight secret, which was a good thing, because I might otherwise not have tried it after having been strongly disappointed by their other tobaccos -- Von Eicken are based in my home town and even local patriotism could not get me to try any of their other blends more than once.

I was on an aromatics binge back then, and amid a lot of disappointments, this (at the time) rather expensive blend managed to hook me for a while, and I still do smoke a pouch or so of it per year. The price has become much more moderate during the last decade and a half.

Heavily aromatic with not vanilla, but some sort of exotic, almond-ish fruit, the flavouring is not too strong. The tin aroma makes you want to keep the tobacco around without smoking it, it's delicious. The cut is wild, with big ribbons of VA and a goodly amount of sweet Black Cavendish.

One for the bigger bowls, this blend burns astonishingly coolly and smoothly for a strong aromatic, with very little to no bite even without a filter, and the room note is beautiful; a Ladies' favourite. I would describe the overall taste experience as creamily fruity throughout, with only a very slight hint of tar at the very end of the bowl.

For the aromatics afficionados, this may be a must-try. For the friends of the Naturals, strongly avoid. For the cross-style smokers like me, it's a beautiful change of pace.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (11)

I bought this from a Duty-Free shop in an airport in Thailand as a souvenir, and wasn't sure I would like it, as it was an unabashed "Vanilla" aromatic, and I generally smoke English blends. But my 6-year old daughter egged me to stuff it in my pipe and smoke it.. so I did.. and I was pleasantly surprised! It smokes dry, and cool; it has a pleasant fruity aroma, and has good tobacco taste. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! And I think my little daughter did too! Lol! It's become a favorite... Highly recommended!

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

This is an interesting aromatic I dare say. Upon opening the pouch I actually did not want to smoke this. It reminded me of a terrible experience with Petersons's 140 years Special Reserve (the most savagely cased tobacco in the history of tobacco consumption). I then decided to eventually just go for it in order to put it to rest and write my report, I was pleasantly surprised I must say. The tobacco is not as heavily cased as the aroma would suggest and actually enjoyable. One of the better aromatics for sure, it did burn slightly wet though but not bad enough to make a fuss about. I would smoke this as a change of pace I guess, once in a while I do smoke aromatics to remind me of how I started this great pastime of smoking pipes, not a bad smoke, lots of cavendish. Mo, South Africa

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

One of the nicest aromatics that came to me over the festive season last year. I am not sure if the aroma is of vanilla or something else, nor am I sure of what the exotic cut is, but the tobacco is dry burning and reasonably cool smoking. I will smoke it again happily if it came my way but would not go out in search of it. Springwater would make an excellent introduction to aromatics.

Mobious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mobious (2)

I did smoke this regularly and found it to be a very 'tasty' and pleasant smoke. However, I found that old stocks of this tobacco dry out quickly and it looses the better qualities.

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Springwater has a good name and good pack but not a good taste. Although I really prefer to smoke aromatic ones I don?t like this one.

Did I smoke same tobacco that already was mentioned here? I don?t think so.

Sousa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sousa (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a fantstic tobacco indeed, I'm afraid I am repeating what has been said about this tobacco, it is indeed a choice one may take as a "life tobacco".It has very little tong bite, and the rich flavour of this tobacco makes it. It is a very pleasent smoke, at the first pouffs of smoke you can tase the richness of aromas, while beign cool and not very strong in nicotine.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a aromatic who remembers me the AC Peterson`s Kentucky bird. In the tin you can find some "not tobacco" pieces. Springwaters burns easy, with a great aroma for your "audience", very low in nicotine, but a lot of flavor. If you are a aromatic`s fan this is you blend, but if you not... stay away!

Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Since my son tried Springwater cigarettes and liked them, I decided to try this aromatic which represented quite a departure from my usual VA & Va/Perique flakes. It wasn't a bad trip. I'd classify this blend as a coarse cut of golden VAs and deep black cavendish with some brown, broken flakes included in smaller measure. I had to adjust my packing technique to avoid numerous relights and even @ my best, they were more frequent that with my flakes. The pouch aroma was artificailly sweet and reminded me of a Hershey chocolate with almonds candy bar. Even though the original moisture content was satisfactory, a wet smoke resulted but I find this typical of many heavy aromatics. However, even as the pouch tobacco dried out, a cool smoke without bite was enjoyed and the room aroma accepted by non-smokers. This is one of the better aromatics I've tried and the Germans certainly generally beat out the US drug store blends in this category. However, if you want tobacco taste and a stronger smoke, you might want to skip this blend. I'll just reserve it for a change of pace or when in company.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of my favorite aromatics -- if not the one -- and one I often use to break-in my pipes.

When you open the green and gold foil pouch, the rich chocolatey, almondy, slightly vanillaish aroma envelops your nose instantly. Mmmm. Almost like candy. A lovely introduction.

Packs well, lights well. The caramel-aroma comes nicely through in the smoke. A very good experience.

The chocolate confectionery feel drops from the foreground somewhere around the last third of the bowl. After that, it's just rich and tasty - with a nutty, almondy, chocolate feel in the back of your throat.

Burns well all the way to the bottom. Smokes wonderfully cool. No tongue-bite in normal smoking conditions. Keeps lit pretty easy, though a few re-lights are unavoidable, as this sometime tends to smoke a bit wet esp. outdoors, when it can even gurgle at times. (Mind your tongue at these times).

This isn't as light as it seems tastewise or residue-wise, either. You'll note that when cleaning. For a seemingly light aromatic this one's a pretty strong blend. "An aromatic with a backbone". Another thumbs-up to this blend.

Room note is well-liked, by passers-by and kin alike.

Most people probably will find this to their liking, whether they smoke orientals, va's or aromatics.

[update] After half a year I gotta say that the more I smoke this, the more I like it. After a month's break, I noticed the Virginias very distinctly. Aromatic and straight va. notes alternating...

[update] A year in rotation, and still keeps me happy. The chocolatey taste works in marvellous ways, and even gives new taste-sensations every now and then. From a jazz bar to a cruiseliner, from sun-shiny garden to a bat-watching night by the lakeside, a most versatile tobacco.

Note: Don't let this one dry out much, it won't benefit from it (rather the opposite, it becomes a thin-tasting tongue-scorcher).

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I thought it was high time I move away from my beloved oldstyle American blends for a time and expand my venues. The best way to do so, I surmised, was to pick up a pouch of something totaly off of the beaten pipe path as far as my smoking ventures are concerned. This should be about as far off as I could get, but this is not to say that I did not like it, quite the oppisite. I was amazed at how good a heavy aromatic blend such as this could be simply by having a virginia base as opposed to the low grade burley so often employed in such mixtures.

With that Virginia base supporting the high grade black cavendish, a winning combination and full complexity were established from the start and remained throughout the bowlfull. The sauce that was liberally doused over the blend(Lord only knows what 'manilla' is supposed to refer to)was not at all cloying, acrid, or overtly artificial tasting to my palate. Be assured it was bright and fruity and thuroughly pleasent throughout. Even better, though I suspected from the very beginning that Springwater would contain a more than generous dose of glycol, within but a few days of opening the pouch I found the contents had gone bone dry. It would seem that even preservative additives had been put on with a light hand.

All in all, Springwater has served to cement a precept that I have had for some years with my occasional ventures into German tobacco: there's aromatics, and then there's German aromatics.

Regards, A. Morley Jaques

Hesam1980 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hesam1980 (5)
Mild Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

like springwater cigarettes a great taste & a great smell when you smoke it,vanilla's magic!

seems mild when you smoke it but if you notice your pipe's filter,you'll understand it's not that mild....very good for aromatic smokers like me.