A mixture of Virginias, Oriental tobaccos and Syrian Latakia. A hearty blend which is easy on the toungue.

BrandSolani
Blended ByR.L. Will
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Many have compared this to Sobranie (which I have never smoked) and if this is a replica of it, I am glad this is available. This is a sleeper of an "English" blend. Visually, this blend is a beauty. There is partially-rubbed Virginia flake, Syrian Latakia and Turkish ribbons in abundance. The tin aroma is delicious, forget the pipe! Let's start chewing! Just kidding, of course. Moisture is perfect, packing is easy, let's go! Upon lighting you taste the mature virginia with the Syrian Latakia coming in about the second or third puff. About mid-bowl, you get a delicious flavor that has it all: sweet, smoky, bottom, highs, etc.. This is right there with Margate IMO with the difference being this has Syrian vs. Margate's Cyprian Latakia. Bottom of the bowl builds strength that is just right and ends with a fine, dry, grey ash. While this blend is not as full as my beloved "Balkan" blends, when in the mood for an English, this will be in my top 5. Rating 5 out of 5 points, a true Reformer Blend, Enjoy...

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (24)

I was very excited to try this for many reasons: Solani makes high quality products, the usage of Syrian Latakia and it was considered to be a "tribute" to Sobranie.

Moisture level of the tin is very good. With just a little drying I think you could pack it with just 5 minutes of patience. The ribbon cut is very uniform and there weren't many stems or stalks in it. Every Solani tobacco has been up to this par (I guess that's why they cost a bit more, huh). I don't know if it's the Syrian Latakia or what, but this just smells like a Balkan Blend to my nose when taking a whiff of the tin.

I would go ahead and say that if you're looking for a heavier fuller flavored English, this is probably not going to be enough for you. If you want a Latakia bomb, check out Star of the East Flake or even a G.L. Pease blend like Odyssey.

This blend has a very mild yet consistent variety of flavors. The VAs are there but they just kind of support the Orientals and the Latakia. The interplay between the former two is what makes this blend interesting. Some puffs and you're getting the fragrant Turkish and behind it comes the Syrian Lat. What's nice about this blend is that it's just like they advertise it, easy on the tongue. This tobacco can be an all day smoke because it doesn't leave your mouth raw like some Lat bombs do. It's a nice smooth smoke that some may find boring, but I would call it refreshingly consistent and smooth.

I know the components are different and this is considered an "English" blend, but Peter Stokebbye's Balkan Supreme and this are very similar. Both of them, in some circles, are compared to the infamous Balkan Sobranie.

My one complain with Solani is that they don't sell in bulk and you're always paying for their quality tobacco, plus the price of the tin : (

Age When Smoked: 3

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Balkan Supreme.

Let me first say that my experience with #779 is based on a full tin from 2005 so it will have had some changes over the years. Solani makes some high quality blends IMO so I jumped on the chance to sample an aged tin of #779. At first light, #779 was off to a great start, offering smoky, musty and slightly sweet flavors. Unfortunately as each bowl progressed, the flavor for me went downhill. As result, I messed around with this tin for nearly a year before getting through it. The Syrian does add a nice component, but not enough to overcome the overall flavor. I think there is a casing added that while not dominate, made for a poor smoking experience and for me that was the difference. I can see why it seems to be a love or hate blend for folks, I find myself in the latter group so there won’t be a second tin in my future.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Delicious. Leaves a coating of cloves on my lips, I could smoke this at any time of day, including first thing. A mild-ish but flavoursome English, not as punchy as MM965, but far more flavour than any Rattray's I've tried, for example.

Was a little moist in the tin at first, but smokes very smooth and easily, it has intriguing, complex, subtle flavours that make me crave it.

Contains Vitamin N and is well behaved when tamping out and relighting an hour later - never bitter. I can imagine stocking up on this.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I opened the tin I had purchased in August 2008. I opened it right after the spine surgery I had on November 2010. And it was a very nice present to myself right when I got back home. Once you open the tin you are not able to detect the existence of the Latakia. It has the ideal moisture so it can be smoked right away (maybe because of the aging). The ribbon cut tobacco easily fills the bowl and it lights up in a snap, so that it can offer you a perfect taste and an ideal combination of Virginia, Oriental and Syrian Latakia. No matter how intense is your smoking it will not choke you, nor will it bite your tongue. If you smoke it calmly though, you will discover the sweetness of the Virginia and the taste of the Latakia which binds with spicy flavor of the Oriental. And all this, while smoking comfortably up until the end of the bowl, no matter how big it is.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)

I love this tobacco. I'm not an expert. I've smoked maybe 20 or 25 blends. Only 5 or 6 with much Latakia, but this one really stands out for me. I don't think I'm wrong to think that it will for some others as well. About two thirds through my first pipe of this I had a little mini enlightenment. So this is how good it can get right. I've smoked quite a few more since and my view hasn't wavered.

Everything about it just works. Sweet, smoky, nutty, a little fruity tang, all the flavors come together very nicely. The Latakia never dominates but gives just enough to surround and accent all of the other flavors. Really exceptional. Packs and smokes as well or better than anything I've tried, straight out of the tin. Produces a nice thick comforting cool smoke. No issues. All the way through the burn it just keeps building.

This tobacco stands very high on it's own without a comparison to the classic. I haven't tried the blend that this is compared to. But I wonder why they would try to latch on to old fame. This is a terrific tobacco. It seems to me more than capable of creating it's own reputation.

4 stars for being something I need to have on hand

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

English Luxury Mixture #779 is described as a medium strength English blend and that it is, but not just another in the pack. This blend stands out for a lot of reasons. When you open the tin you are greeted by an aroma that is so inviting that you know this tobacco has to be something special. The color is light brown mixed with black, but overall it is lighter shades than you expect to find in an English mixture. The cut is a beautifully even ribbon. The taste right from the start is very smooth and it builds in strength as you smoke toward the middle of the bowl. This is delicious stuff and the Syrian latakia is wonderful. The Virginias are light and bright and of the highest quality. The tobacco stayed lit all the way to the bottom of the bowl and the flavor remained sweet and smooth. There was no bottom of the bowl bitterness often experienced with other English blends touted to be excellent. ELM #779 may initially strike you as pretentious, but it lives up to it's number and the associations made to a past blend of #759. This is not a replacement for the mythic Sobranie, but it is outstanding and deserves your close inspection.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

779 is a good, honest, medium to full English blend. For once, a tin description has it right: "A hearty blend which is easy on the tongue". The tin aroma is rich and wonderful. The tobacco was a bit too dry for my preferences, but nothing on the scale of some newer American blenders who shall remain nameless. Burning too fast, just when we were getting started, the trip was over. It doesn't have the time to develop something wonderful, which would give it the 4th star. For drier tobacco enthusiasts looking for a good honest English, this would be a fine place to start. Slightly fuller than Squadron Leader and King Charles, but in the same vain, save for the dryness. The strength is perfect for an after-meal smoke. 779 contains none of the harshness associated with the more robust Balkan blends. Decidedly English.

It is also relatively expensive, which will likely have an impact on it's popularity.

The Latakia is a bit weak but adequate. The Virginias are a bit weak but adequate. The Orientals are exceedingly sharp. If you can make it to the 3/4 point the sharpness rounds off and it becomes a decent smoke. The problem I have with that is I paid for the whole bowl, not just the last one quarter. Not recommended.

Pipe Used: MM General

Vladlon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vladlon (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

One of the best tobaccos I've ever sampled. All components are fused in incredible sense of perfection. You not feel it one by one , you not smoke this,you drink the the taste.It's very well balanced mixture. Just don't be a rush - a taste is gone as you speeding up....

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Smells like cinnamon, nutmeg, carnation and pepper.You will discover more as you go.Tastes fantastic.Won't bite.I strongly recommend to cellar at least 2 tins ,i have saved five for myself. Great tobacco!

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

When I first started smoking English blends I loved this blend. However its been several years since I've smoked some so I decided to grab a tin a few weeks ago.

The first thing I noticed was the strong berry topping ( very similar to Peterson University Flake). If I were to guess, I'd say it was a black currant flavoring. This is a great tobacco and the Syrian Latakia is great but the topping is just too much. My tin has been opened for a couple weeks and the topping seems to be increasing in strength. This would be a 4 star blend if it wasn't for the topping.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

I totally agree with you PersianBaccy, a pale imitation of the English mixture. Like so many imitations that are oggi.direi. There's much, much better in the international market to try. But this I would say no!

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)

A flat tasting cased English mixture, who needs this? I wonder. Not enough latakia taste, it tastes of everything and nothing. The artificial tasting casing puts me off too, when I smoked an english mixture with syrian latakia I'm not looking for candy in it. This is one of the bland, flat tasting and cased english blends to avoid. Maybe this one is blended for aromatic smokers, I don't know.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This has to be scented. Can't put my finger on what it is, but I've smelled it in another tobacco before. When first opening the tin, I wasn't sure I liked the smell. But now that it's been opened a week or so, it's actually very nice. Maybe just sugar, but I can't describe. But, definatly not just Syrian Latakia, Va and oriental weeds.

Onto the smoking. This is a moderate English in my opinion and the leaf is of high quality. If you are wanting a full, smoky Cyprian type blend you are going to find this flat. If you would like a blend that allows the Va and orientals to let themselves be known, and like Syrians lighter and spicy quality I think you'll like this one. But, don't get me wrong, you can taste Syrian in all its beauty just not a sledgehammer. I find the Latakia more prevalent in the mid-bowl phase to be more precise. But this is fine, very flavorful weed that will be in my cellar always.

Why three instead of four stars? I think McClelland's "Three Oaks Syrian" has this one beat and what I will judge all Syrian blends against. I'll keep this around because the taste/scent is different enough to make this Syrian blend unique. Recommended!

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Update jan 2011: After smoking a lot of Dunhill's, Synjeco's and Sam Gawith, the Solani casing has become a little bit off putting for me, still a good tobacco, still recommended, but knocked of one star. Have 4 tins aging, will report how they fare after they have some years on them.

Update: In january /february this became my favourite after-dinner smoke. However since the good weather started in june, I have not touched it. Now I smoke mostly Virginia flakes, plugs and twists. I start to discover that my taste changes with the seasons... Anyone else has that as well?

Original test:

Nice looking gold coloured tin. Alas, here in Holland half of the beautifull "Sobranie" style engraving stamped on the lid disappears under a very ugly anti- smoking slogan. Do sticky labels really improve public health?

The tobacco is pleasantly clean to the touch although the tinnote is a bit too syruppy for me. The smooth salty tobacco taste lingers on in a nice way after smoking.

Being a lover of Latakia I like the roomnote, but as ever my girlfriend hates it :)

This Solani offering has become one of my favourite Latakia tobacco's.

Rodrigo de Xerez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodrigo de Xerez (16)

Golden Label is certainly a very good Medium English made in Germany. Recommended for a trip to English Medium Mixtures before facing heavier weights.

Great quality leafs, but in the lighter side. Delicious and sweet Virginia, balanced spicey Orientals and a Syrian Latakia a little bit shy.

I agree with respected previous reviewers in the dryness and fast burning, which prevents it from deserving a better score. I experience the dryness in the mouth aftertaste as well. My favourite ones leave me an enticing chewing sensation in mouth, not this dryness (Skiff, 965 and even Balkan Sasieni and Squadron Leader)

Rdx score (10 different pipes): 89.40

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

This is a so-so English/Balkan mixture, if you can classify it as such, because none of the constituent tobaccos shine through. Many of the EU mixtures blur together in their sameness to me, and 779 is no exception. As with the others, the casing used is subtle and sweet, but it imparts an artificiality I find off-putting. Age typically improves this. I wouldn't call it hearty, per the tin description, but it is tasty in a pouch tobacco sort of way, and I suppose it's balanced. To each his own.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

i love english blends and this is a very fine mild english blend.if you are into latakia like me, get it.you wont regret it.

This is absolutely the smoothest latakia blend I have ever smoked. That may be an overbaked statement for this tobacco, but it's true. In fact, I found that I could puff a little more vigorously than I usually do and not make this stuff bite or go bitter. Doing so actually brought out some additional flavors, although it did rough up the smoothness a little.

I like the term "English Luxury Mixture" because that's a good description of how I felt while smoking this. It's very luxurious and relaxing. Sometimes I found myself craving a little more flavor and robustness but then I have other blends to satisfy those needs. This one I think I'll keep around as a blend to kick back with and relax. It doesn't call much attention to itself - just a nice, smooth light latakia and oriental blend. Recommended for those who wear smoking jackets - it just seems to fit the profile. :)

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)

This blend produces a mild & smooth smoke without bite. I'm mainly a VA blend person but this is a pretty good English. This mix represents a good marriage of quality tobaccos and the Latakia is not overwhelming as in some stronger English blends. This mix is so mild, if not for the smoke and Latakia smell, you'd think you were just pulling on an unlit pipe. A little too bland to suit me.

Room note is fairly pleasant, not extremely noticeable and doesn't stink up the place like some stronger Latakia-dominant blends. I didn't get any sweetness from the Virginias and the mild, aromatic Orientals were almost as tasteless as the Latakia. Burn rate was fast but smoked relatively cool. If a cool, & very mild smoke with a touch of Latakia is what you're after, well, here you go! Therefore, IMHO, Solani's 779 Golden Label merits three *s!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Again an old tin to clear off the cabinet.

It came about '98/'99. The friend who brought me from Switzerland said: "this is the continuation of Balkan Sobranie no 759 which is no longer produced". Oh yes, the tin shows the famous picture (not the wording Balkan which is nowadays so abused...) but the contents is visually something of the like of Standard Mixture Mild and the tin aroma also reflects a mild english mixture.

I don't know how long it will take to smoke the remainder, approximately 2/3 of the tin, not if I even will finish or throw it into the garbage (or may I bake it?)

It smokes hot and wet, bites the tongue, and poorly delivers anything worth to smoke.

I will have still a couple of bowls more, but I'm just feeling this is not for me.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

I have recently purchased a couple tins of this tobacco, following a hiatus of 3 years with Golden label, and was extremely disappointed after realizing that this tobacco is radically different than what is was!

As where the leaf was in an almost rubbed-out flake state, composed of mostly medium brown, black and some golden brown leaf, this tobacco is loose cut, with a lot more golden brown and green leaf than it used to be. Also, on the tin aroma side,it used to be the smell of pure slighly sweet tobacco that was a delight to smoke despite the lack of strength; now, it is an acrid tin aroma and taste.

As where I consider Black and White to be an exceptional tobacco, Golden Label has strongly disapointted me. I don't know who modified the recipe at Solani, but it was a poor idea.

This is truly a pity!

Not recommended

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Updated on 4/21/08

I recently opened a new tin of this and immediately smoked a bowl and at first was dismayed - I couldn't taste the Syrian. I thought the quality was down hill. It tasted like an orange that had no sugar content. I was so dismayed that I wrote Steve Monjure and asked if the blend had changed. He said it hadn't. Then, out of curiosity, I tried it again and it was better. I noticed it had dried a bit, hmmm, Thag's got an idea forming in his head. I dried it for almost a day and this stuff was back to sublime! It was just amazing, the stuff was too wet. That is a first for me, because usually I find that a dry tobacco loses it's flavor. Not so with this one. This stuff is now my hands down favorite and I prefer it a bit over Balkan Sobranie. It's that good!

Original Review Follows

Picked this up at the pipe shop and was pleasantly suprised by this one. Smoked three bowls in a row and each one tasted great and competed well with the other guys smoking cigars. This packs, lights and smokes easily. No re-lighting necessary at all and it gives up big puffs of fairly dense smoke most of the way. Burns fairly quickly and tastes great. Most tobaccos I taste one day and not the next. It's hard to imagine that I would ever not taste this one. I'm not sure if the extra kick is from the orientals or not but this one seems loaded with Syrian to me, a good thing indeed. At least it seems to have more than the HH Vintage Syrian that I have on hand now. I like that one too but this is definitely the stronger of the two and that earns it an extra star in my book. In short, this smoke is mesmerizing and just flat awesome!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Very Full Pleasant

I am a novice to english blends, but I have to say this a top quality baccy, period, english, mild or not, the fruity (apple/apicote sauce) and edible qualities just goes so well with the latakia in this blend. I find it almost amazing that it works so well. The fruitiness begins to fade at the end leaving a lovely slightly bitter sweet latakia. Top marks, this will be a favorite for a long, long time.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

After retrying this mixture 2 years after, I have noticed a significant difference in the cut and composition of this blend. And a negative one, I am afraid.

From a cut similar to the White & Black, but definitely more rubbed out, a nice mostly medium brown and black leaf,a tin aroma closer to natural tobacco combined with some Latakia and oriental; a slightly sweet taste combined with bolder VA/LA taste and an agreeable room note, this blend has evolved in an acrid, somewhat low quality smoke combined with a disastrous, very acrid room note.

I opened 3 tins in the hope of realizing I just had one bad tin but alas! all three were similar.

I do not know who made those changes. All I can say is: please, give us back to older recipe which was fantastic!

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

779 appears to be another good tobak in the Solani line. The smell of orientals and latakia are welcomed upon opening the tin. Packs and lights with ease. If too aggressive, can be acidic. Sit back and enjoy at a smooth speed. You do not have to be above mach 1 to have your hair on fire! Will only improve with time. Still my favorite birds of the Solani lines are; 633 and 763.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This blend is extremely good, it tastes like good tobacco, you can barely make out the Latakia despite the fact that there is a fair proportion of it. This is natural tobacco at its best!!! Solani has pulled a brilliant performance with this blend.

The blend has tones of medium brown and black, with occasional shades of golden brown. It smells like rich, good yummy natural tobacco and the Latakia smell is not predominant. The cut is average, it packs very well and burns extremely well. I still remember the first time I smoked this I just said to myself "Wow! So this is what real tobacco tastes like!" There is this little sweet tone that lasts for a while, then slowly fades away.

This is not a strong blend, for an English blend, but as I just mentioned, you understand that it's not too flat like a blend like Rattray's no 7 would be (a great blend, but it's a light English blend, so perfect for anyone who wants to start venturing into English blends). 779 blend is fit for beginners in the English blends and represents a nice change of pace for the experienced smoker, never strong like My mixture 965 or Nightcap ( those blends are gorgeous, but I just can't smoke them, the strongness just cuts off my fun, I can barely finish my pipe full so I'm staying away from those blends now).

779 Blend would compare, in terms of strength, to Sasieni Balkan Mixture, but in way less dark in terms of tobacco colour.

I highly recommend Solani Luxury English, it is luxurious and tastes like good, natural tobacco. It's great!

stoic066 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoic066 (7)

It is a fantastic tobacco!

I love virginia tobaccos but cannot smoke them regularly because they rough up my tongue. This one has great virginia and just enough other tobaccos to smooth it out.

779 is my number one blend at the moment although the quest for a holly grail of pipe tobaccos is not over yet.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great blend that will only get better with age. Very smooth English blend.

01/25/206- Opened a tin that I had celled since January 2004. Well I was right . 2 Yrs. age on it and it tasted great.

After opening my tin of Solani 779 and loading up and lighting my pipe, it didn't take so long to figure out why most of our esteemed reviewers here enjoyed it. This is good stuff!

The smell in the tin is deep, dark and musty (in fact, the odor was much darker and compelling than the visual of the blend itself which was rather light.) The moisture content was perfect and the leaf needed just a very short whirl in my one speed food processor to be perfect for packing.

The latakia won't hit you like a sledgehammer but it won't feather slap your palate either. This is just a nice, bitter sweet and musty Latakia blend that stays lit well and burns evenly down to nothing but a fine gray ash. Highly recommended!

Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Just the fact that the tin resembles the Balkan 759 one can be considered quite offensive. The blend itself is an abuse to the word "English mixture". Syrian latakia? Sure, but after a bleach treatment. It burns too hot and the taste lasts for a few puffs, then disappears making place to a sour taste. Not for me.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

For some reason I expected this blend to be darker in the tin than it turned out to be. Expecting a higher proportion of dark Latakia, I instead found a lighter, golden blend heavy on Virginias and Orientals. It is a beautiful mixture, with black and varying shades of brown and gold and the occasional sighting of an almost olive drab-colored leaf, presumably an oriental varietal.

The tin aroma is heavy with Orientals and Latakia. The moisture was great and the cut, well the cut was one of those that makes you pause and realize the inferiority of the cut in so many other blends you?ve been smoking. It packed nicely and burned great all the way down with nary a relight. Given the high proportion of Virginias in the blend, I braced myself for some biting. But the bites never came. 779 turned out to be a very smooth and rich smoke. That richness, or complexity, was also a surprise. From its tin appearance I expected this to be pretty standard Virginia-with-a-little-latakia-thrown-in-for-body blends like Peterson?s Old Dublin, Pease's Piccadilly, or Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. As I smoked 779, however, I realized its superiority to any of those mixtures, owing largely to the great Orientals in this blend and the use of Syrian as opposed to Cyprian Latakia.

I can't comment on the whole Balkan Sobranie comparison issue, since I never had the pleasure of the old favorite, but I can say that I find this balkan/oriental blend much superior to the current Balkan Sasieni. If this is, indeed, similar to the old BS, then I can see how that venerable blend gained such a following.

779 is a bit pricey, though, which means that before I would purchase another tin of it, I would more likely spend the same amount of money (or less) and pick up a tin of GLP Renaissance or my beloved Robert Lewis Tree Mix.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I won't downgrade this blend because I don't smoke it every day. I am going easy on the English-type blends these days so I can better appreciate all the teriffic Virginnia Flake types. I find that if you smoke any English (Latakia, Perique, or Oriental) before the lighter, sweeter types you can't savor the milder tobaccos as well. When I get back into the English types, this will most likely be right up there with 965, Presbyterian, Squadron Leader, Pelican, Blackpoint, and many others. Among all the fine English blends the 779 does stand out as somewhat unique. I also agree that moisture content has a good deal to do with the enjoyment of this and many other tobacco mixtures. I smoked some Dunhill Med. English that had become quite dry a while back and it became quite acrid due to faster burning. Since it burns faster, the percieved strength is much greater. I will go along with a 9 out of 10 rating. The only real downside is many good competitors and a bit hard to find compared to Dunhill, C&D, G.L. Pease, and McClelland.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

No way this can be considered an homage to Balkan Sobranie 759... The name would suggest so, and the colors on the tin too: Solani should be tortured for such a shameless trick!

This is an OK medium-light English blend, plesant but not memorable. I have never bought I tin but I was offered a bowl in several occasion: it never struck me as flavorful or complex enough to make me wish for a whole 50g...

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is heaven! I tried this tobacco because of the good reviews here. They are right! My tobacco-dealer here in Holland ordered 5 tins for me. He tried one for himself and now he will be ordering it for his shop, for himself and for me! It has it all. It is a delicious marriage of tobacco's. The taste is absolutly not-chemical. The latakia is present but surely not overwhelming. For those who likes the English this is a "must-try".

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)

As I have just realized it, tinned blends tend to become better with both a fair amount of time and drying -- this blend is no exception. I have found that of the three non-aromatic blends from Solani (this one, 633 and Black and White), all need to be smoked almost at the point when the leaves become crunchy and upon first light they are all a bit "sharp" -- I can find no other words to describe the sensation.

Also, these three blends have several characteristics in common: very different tin aroma than any other blends, a great amount of taste, smoothness, and quality through and through (after that first light).

I have read that some think this is a sleeper blend -- great, more for me! I'll stock a dozen or so tins now and let time do the rest. This is definitely not a blend for the first bowl of the day, at least for me, but can be enjoyed two or three bowl in the afternoon or evening without getting boring or overbearing. I really like having this blend around as a change of pace from some of the othe powerhouse English blends.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

December 2003.Solani 779. I fell in love with this tobacco from the very first puff. Not as strong as Balkan Sobranie,Dunhill's Night Cap,Greg Peases Oddysey,Penzance or Balkan Sasieni. It offers all those nice qualities but in a gentler more serene way,but still delivers a depth of flavour. Lights easily and is a real pleasure to the bottom of the bowl where it leaves a nice grey ash.Highly recommended. 9 out of 10.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Although I appreciate the way 779 is balanced as a blend, for me, finally, it is not a top-tier choice for two reasons. First, I dislike the bitter undertaste. Second, this blend smokes too hot for me to compare it with the best Latakia blends I've tried.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

My review is from a sample of 779 provided by my local tobacconist.

This is a no nonsense, full English blend of high quality tobaccos.

Everything about this says expertise: well-aged, slow burn, cool, dry, decent complexity with variation of flavors throughout the smoke, and a nice balance considering the weight the Turkish and Latakia have (which is forward). This ends in white, fine ash.

If you prefer more Virginia sweetness, 779 is not for you, though it is more so than Margate, Crown Achievement or Balkan Sasieni.

I like more of the rich, caramelized flavors from Red Rapparee, 965, Night Cap, Squadron Leader, and Brebbia's Preludio due to the higher proportion of Virginia-type leaf.

The exotic charcoals used to prepare Latakia are evident in 779 and make up its charm. A nice change to my pace.

Stycle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stycle (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The tin artwork,the black and gold color selection and the numbering of the blend all suggest Balkan Sobranie 759. The use of Syrian latakia also recalls the long lost blend.

Like many 759 loyalists I haven't actually smoked any of the stuff for many years and tend to romanticize its qualities just as I romanticize many of the experiences and events of my youth. Nevertheless this blend met all of my expectations. The tobacco evokes rememberances of bowls past and does so quickly. Unlike many of the stronger blends that require a certain forbearance through the first one third of the smoke 779's complexity kicks in early and quite pleasantly. Blender R.L. Will hit it right with this blend and I recommend it highly.

farndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farndog (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Solani 779 is an oft overlooked English blend. The tin aroma is a nice musty English blend, that is about a 50% blend of dark and light tobacco. Good quality tobacco that packs well and lights easily. 779 projects a nice nutty smoky flavour, probably different from the use of Syrian latakia. A truly enjoyable blend that I think compares well to the 759 Balkan Sobraine that is no longer available. This tobacco is one of the best English tobaccos I have smoked recently. The Solani is priced a little steeply to be smoked all day, but it certainly is a special occassion tobacco. A must try from English tobacco lovers.