Double fermented black cavendish combined with broad bright and ripe red Virginias produce a cool smoke. A touch of apple flavor is added. Nice mild blend.

BrandSolani

2.3
Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Now this one is especially for the aromatic lovers around the world even though there have been some less than complimentary reviews by some members earlier, but I guess its a matter of personal choice. As you open the tin, one is able to immediately discern a distinct fruitiness. Enclosed within lies a blend of High class Virgina and Black Cavendish cased with the bouquet of apples, cinnamon and perhaps a hint of cherry. The fruitiness spreads evenly in the room and perpetuates one of the finest room notes. Pace this one slowly as it does carry a bite.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I gave this Solani a try recently, and also Sweet Mystery. I was nostalgic of the nice, yummy smell of the aromatic tobaccos with which I started my pipe smoking career. Also, I smoked the Luxury English blend and liked it, so I was curious about Solani's aromatic blends.

I very rarely have little obsessions about aromatic blends; the last crisis happened 3 or 4 years ago before I tried Solani Green Label. I usually smoke the VAs/Périque mixtures since quite a while.

Upon opening the tin, a marvelous sweet apple smell welcomed my senses. I just stood there sniffing it and enjoying myself. The tobacco is a mixture of ready-rubbed red virginia, loose golden Virginia and black Cavendish. I must say, this looks like very good quality tobacco. My other half, upon smelling the tin, took it away from me, went to sit down in the living-room and just smelled it for a while, a big smile on her face.

When I started smoking this blend, the taste wasn't too overwhelming for an aromatic, but pretty mild. My wife was walking around in the smoke and just ecstasic(...)

The thing is, after a couple weeks, the nice sweet smell and taste of the apple is tossed away by the more brute smell and taste of the golden Virginia, which breaks a bit the magic of the aromatic. Surprisingly, for an aromatic, the bowl is left rather dry at the end.

I would definitely recommend this tobacco to those who enjoy aromatics. This is a very good quality for an aromatic tobacco. For my own taste, too aromatic and way too mild - that's the problem with aromatics, they quickly become tasteless, which is not the case with more natural tobaccos, all depending of the blends, of course. This is definitely not a drugstore blend, it's aromatics with class!

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this based on the reviews that claimed this tobacco to be 'heavily cased'. I thought I was going to get an apple tobacco in which I could taste some apple.

What I ended up with was a shadow of a memory of a hint of a whisper of apple. I can hardly taste apple (or tobacco for that matter) at all. There is not even a room note of apple. The predominant flavor in this tobacco is WAX PAPER.

I guess Solani has joined the long list of other tobacco companies in pandering to the people who want their aromatics to taste like squadron leader (i.e. hot air - no taste at all - not even tobacco).

Solani, please put the flavor back in and stop using wax paper in your tins.

This is what seems to be a disturbing trend. If you dont want to taste apple/vanilla/cherry/orange then dont buy apple/vanilla/cherry/orange tobacco DUH!

If you only buy aromatics to draw attention to yourself then complain that you can taste apple/vanilla/cherry/orange, well - grow up and stop ruining it for everyone else, and tobacco companies, stop listening to them.

UPDATE: 23/07/2013 - After removing the wax paper and letting it rest, the apple flavours are coming through, actually not a bad smoke, but still needs more flavour - I guess the wax paper got the balance of it. Upgrading to 3 stars.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend is going to take a place in my rotation. The leaf is "wild cut" and irregular with riff, crumbled cake, cavendish, etc. The color is mottled with black and shades of brown. The tin smell is pleasant and it's like a tart apple. There is a taste of apple the whole duration of the smoke but it's a natural rather than artificial or chemical taste. It smokes cool, dry and slow. Good stuff!

matjasko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matjasko (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

This is one for the aromatic tobaccos lovers. Fine taste, sweet aroma, packs fine, burns nice, has fine room note. In taste/aroma somewhat resembles the Sweet Vanilla Honeydew or Blue Note. Fine occasional treat.

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I don't get the tongue bite other reviewers noted, but then again, I don't smoke like a train. However, I can see this being a biter if you do, as it's bone dry in the tin. Hydrate it first and it's not likely to give you tongue bite. Very sweet and rather pleasant if you don't mind not tasting the tobacco. Heavily cased, I can taste the black cavendish and the apple note is obvious. The red Virginia is good, but somewhat overwhelmed by the other flavors, which includes a slight perfume essence. If you like sweet aros, you'll like this, but for the money, you'll be just as happy with other tobaccos if all you want is something sweet to smoke. And at a cheaper price.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The casing level of this tobacco is too much for me.

The quality is obvious, but I do not like overcased tobaccos.

Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Yeeooww!

This is one hot apple turnover.

Sweet apple odor upon opening the tin. Almost juicy, thick cut black and Virginia leaf. Packed well but was a bugger to light and keep lit. After 1/4 bowl I decided I didn't want to keep it lit anyway.

If you enjoy aromatics that'll keep your tongue bandaged for a week, here you go pardner.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Extra Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The cut on this quite unique and the tin aroma is that of a very heavily cased tobacco. The casing is so heavy and overwhelming that it reminds of cologne or parfume'. It was very astringant when smoking with a cloying aftertaste and no tobacco flavor at all. Yuck!

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice looking tin with fancy shape; upon opening the tin the tobacco is in a gold pouch, the aroma was that of an apple orchard with very fresh tobacco. The cut(s) of the blend were ribbon Cavendish, and broad cuts of Virginias

Packing the pipe was very easy and to my surprize the tobacco took to a mitch and stayed lit. This tobacco can get a bowl very hot very fast and may even nip your tongue a little as this is a Virginia blend with an aromatic flvoring with ribbon cuts of Cavendish all blended together. I did notice once the tobacco started burning down there was a coolness about the smoke as a sweetness of the Fermented Apple Cavendish was very easily detected.

This tobacco is not for those who dislike an aromatic as this presents itself as a fruity aromatic.

I love a good aromatic, but this one is just too sweet for me

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Very Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

A friend of mine came over with a tin of this one day so I figured I might as well give it a shot. I had a bit of trouble packing this properly in one of my corn cobb pipes (which I keep around mostly for occasions like this) due to the odd cut. It's not really a ribbon... I'm not sure what you'd call this. The pieces are like cornflakes only about half to 1/3rd the size. Due to this it was a little hard to get it lit.

To me this seems like just another unremarkable aromatic that looks a little more fancy than average. Despite the claim of "natural sweetness" on the can, it seems that this has a fair amount of Flavoring. Supposedly its apple, though thats not quite what jumped out at me when I opened the can and took a sniff. I remember buying a small bag of some Lane bulk apple aromatic a couple of years ago that seemed more apple-like than this.

Oh well... I doubt I'll ever buy a can of this myself.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Mild Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This has to be one of the worst cased tobaccos I have ever tried. It smelled bad in the tin and tased even worse. It was astringant, and so overwhelming that I couldn't even finish half of the bowl. I am seriously wondering if the pipe will have remnants of this tobacco forever. I can not say strongly enough that NO ONE should EVERY TRY THIS!

Keac241 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Keac241 (8)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Having smoked and loved the X - Sweet mystery, I decided to give this one a go. The scent is promising and very much alike to the sweet mystery, just a little stronger on the casing. The smoke is a bit sweeter than SM and the apple taste is there alright. However after smoking for 20 minutes or so, it implant a strange weird taste in my mouth. I can't describe it but it isn't pleasant. I never had the problem before with any other aromatic blends so perhaps it's my body chemistry conflicting with the tobacco formula. The room note is fantastic just like SM and I'll certainly enjoy this blend had that taste stop plaguing my mouth.

PipeDrummer88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeDrummer88 (12)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

To begin, if there were a rating betweet 2 and 3 stars I'd probably give this about a 2.5. This tobacco has some good things about it. Not that this matters, but this blend looks AMAZING in the tin. The Burley Virginia and Cavendish mix make it very visually appealing. On top of that, the apple scent upon opening the tin makes you (if you like apples and enjoy aromatics) water at the mouth. This tobacco, in my opinion, does have some drawbacks.

First off, the casing is a little too strong for my taste. You do get a bit of that "soapy" taste in your mouth just smelling this tobacco. I'm not talking lakeland, floral soapy. I mean like... strong hand soap/cologne soapy (not that its that strong once packed in the pipe). I also have to let the tobacco dry out quite a bit, as it is packed and shipped pretty moist. The high moisture, heavy casing, as well as a few other things make this tobacco tend to bite a bit. This is true especially if you puff quickly. I find that if you get a bowl of this too hot you will end up with not only a sore tongue, but a horrible aftertaste in your mouth.

I do think that if you smoke this slowly and in small quantities it can be a very pleasant, social tobacco. It has a very pleasant smell (once its burning) and the tobaccos are really top quality. Therefore i'll go ahead and give it three stars instead of two.

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Nice wouldnt smoke it all the time,but worth having around

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)

This blend was recomended to me by Frank at Barclay Rex on Madison Ave. in NYC. This type of Blend can be found under other names Carolina Rose and another Blend sold in Germany called Fancy which is the best of all three but har to find in the USA. This is a very pleasant aromatic smoke for the smoker for a change. It has a bit of a bite. There is a faint Apple & cherry flavor. At the start but just gets smokey later. Like mentioned in previous reviews. The problem with this type of blend is that it is better when dryer. It will then stay lit better. And it softens the bite a bit. Worth a try also try Carolina Rose which is the same blend. You get a little more with Carolina Rose for the price. I have to say I like to keep this around for a departure from the usual blends. Beside the ladies like the aroma. It is a Medium Smoke maybe not for the beginner pipe smoker. Open the tin for a day or two and let it dry out a bit first. CAROLINA ROSE IS A BETTER CHOICE.

alchemyhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alchemyhunter (9)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first tobacco I smoked in a pipe. Now that I have smoked some others, I feel that I can now review this properly. First - Pop the top and you smell the distinct pungent odor of apple flavored tobacco. Visually, it looks nice in the tin...although a touch moist. Best if dried out to prevent steaming of the tounge and gurgling in the pipe. Packs well but need one or two relightings about mid-bowl. It burns hot, but I am a quick puffer. The taste that you get is definately sweet. But you the big draw back is that this tobacco is overly cased. It just was too much. I hate to say that it, but it tasted.....well that chemical taste when there is too much artificial flavor added. I wanted to love it, but I couldn't. If someone offers you some, go a head and try a pipe full....you might like it. It unfortunately will not be something I will buy again. Next time I want an apple, I will just buy a slice of pie.

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)
Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

You have to give this tobacco credit: It delivers what it promises. Both the can description and aroma speak of apple, and this definitely tastes like a Granny Smith -- I can even feel the juice dribble down my chin. But, it is like biting into several apples at once, the taste sensation is so strong it covers up any tobacco flavor which it might otherwise have offered. And the apple tartness carries through the entire smoke. If biting into a fresh-picked apple is your cup of tea, unfortunately not mine, than this is a smoke for you. Easy to light, doesn't bite, stays lit, nice white powdery ash residue. I just found the apple flavoring too much to handle. But, all was not lost. I mixed this with an equal amount of detested Half & Half and came up with not too bad a smoke. Saved having me to throw both of them out.