Vanilla flavored Cavendish, very mild.

BrandSmoker's Pride
Taste
1.8
Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

Commonly referred to as a drugstore blend because of it's cheap price Smokers Pride Vanilla Cavendish is ok as an aro but not great. If you're nearly broke then go for it, otherwise look for a different brand if you can. There are other cheap brands that are better. If you want to try it then buy a pouch, not a 12 oz bag. Like many aromatics it does not cellar all that well beyond one year.

Chad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chad (2)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is my first review. And I will first say that I have simple tastes for the most part. I enjoy unassuming tobacco and my favorite so far has been of the codger burley variety...you guessed it, the famous prince. I do, however, enjoy a nice aromatic from time to time as a "snack". There are MUCH BETTER blends out there just from Lane LTD (who makes this also). This is by far one of their worst IMHO. If you want a cheap drug store/ wal-mart aromatic, try the captain black royal or white, but don't waste your beer money on this. How could they call it Vanilla? The stuff does not even smell like vanilla. It smelled like cheap perfume and the taste was nothing but chemical. I even have this stuff for about 6 months hoping it would get better, but it's actually getting worse. Don't waste your money. That's just my 2 cents.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

If I could give a blend a -10 stars...I would do that with this blend. Please take into account that I HATE this blend. I am not a hater of aromatics...infact I lean heavily with aromatics than any other blend. Maybe that is why I dislike this blend so much. There are so called " drug store tobaccos " but this takes the cake as the worst. This vanilla is a mockery of what vanilla tobacco should be. If I had nothing other than this tobacco to smoke...I would quit. The only savind factor of this blend is that it smells great in the package. The tounge bite is unbearable...the smoke lingers on this cheaply designed room note and the nasty ash-tray taste that lingers in your mouth for days. Take this review with a grain of salt people...cause I loath this blend...it is the bane of all tobacco blends...Happy puffing --Eric--

Bugenhagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bugenhagen (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

My brother smokes this stuff by the bagful. He gave me about half a pound for Christmas (I gave him half a pound of Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake. Who do YOU think came out on top?!)

It reminded me of Captain Black White. The strong black cavendish was rough on my throat. And it made the rim of my pipe bowl shiny and sticky with sugar and goo. It's rougher than Captain Black.

I wanted to like this, because I have so much of it. But, alas, I don't. I'll stick it away in a closet for emergencies, but I won't buy any more.

Bugenhagen

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (19)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Ok, this stuff is simply bad. I purchased a bag (12 ounces) since several trusted friends had told me that it was a "decent enough cheap smoke." No. It has a very strong chemical taste, which simply overwhelms anything good. I tried baking the P&G off, with lukewarm success. That did make my house smell like roasting marshmellows for a few hours and thet is about the best I can say for this stuff. It is still strongly chemical tasting. I would try to use it for compost but I am scared that it will hurt my plants. Looks like this just gets thrown out.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I suppose this is on par with Captain Black White, but that's not saying much, unless you really that kind of tobacco. Dry it first and smoke slowly or risk the dreaded tongue bite. I find it a rather harsh smoke and there's not that much vanilla as I expected or wanted. Buy SP's BC for a more pleasing experience. The best thing I can say about this is that it's a cheap smoke that warms you up for smoking better blends.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

i purchased this tobacco in 12 oz bag on hopes of vanilla taste and aroma. i cant say i was very disappointed. the room note is acceptable to many and the vanilla taste fades in and out throughout the smoke. the tobacco humidity out of the pouch want as many describe (gooey) it burns easily and leave very few dottles (common problem with cavendish blends). it burns a bit on the harsh side so one have to be careful taming this blend. acceptable mass produced blend on an acceptable price, not the fancy stuff but it just might be that pouch you keep in the glove box!

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

OK, first let me say this is not top shelf tobacco but it isn't God-awful either. The trick is to dry it well. I prefer to stove it in my oven in a clean brown paper grocery bag at 170 degrees for about 30-40 min. Leave the bag open at the top. When you take it out, immediately begin turning it in the bag with your fingers. You will see vapors of what appears to be smoke coming off of the tobacco. It is not. It is the ppg or other humicant on the tobacco rapidly evaporating off. Do this until it is only slightly warm and feels dry. put it in an air tight container for a few days. This process not only makes this tobacco easier to smoke, it also tones down the vanilla taste and eliminates most of the chemical ppg taste/odor. I sometimes add some MacB Virginia to this about 50-50. It gives it more character and a fuller, rounder taste.

With the economy the way it is, I'm not going to be smoking $50 a pound tobacco all day, everyday. Sorry, I need to feed my family and put gas in the vehicles, and pay the utilities! Sometime you just got to find tricks to maintain your pipe smoking pleasure. This works for me.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

It' not the most fancy tobacco out there but it's certainly not the worst. It smokes cool and mild if treated well. Not a particularly complex flavor, or even a prominent one for that matter. But I'll tell you... you will not find one person who does not like the vanilla roomnote. This tobacco is to be enjoyed during times when you just want something quick and cheap while in a hurry, mowing the lawn or whatever. I smoke this on a regular basis and save the fancier tobaccs for special occations or when I have time to really sit and enjoy myself.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

It tastes better than Captain Black and it is cheaper. If you are desperate for a vanilla blend, this is the stuff for you.

Papercutpostman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papercutpostman (7)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I purchased a bag of 'Smoker's Pride' (if you could really call it that!) in 2009. Residing in South Korea, I thought that I had scored some good baccy considering how hard it is to find quality stuff here.

Initially, it had some aroma to it but lacked any depth/tone to the overall flavor. Yes, there was a hint of Vanilla but it was rather in passing and one cannot enjoy a good smoke based on aroma alone. I am glad that I did not smoke this stuff in my Stanwell pipe! It tends to leave goop at the bottom... even after a year of sitting in the bag! It has now, sadly, soured my Benton Churchwarden pipe (but I am willing to part with it anyways)

I had thought that after having given this baccy a year that it would turn into something worth going back to. Sadly, it has left nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth.

I would not recommend this to those considering this as a starter. If you're really on a budget, hit the Captain Black's or Alsbo gold (now this one's a treat!).

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Nothing impressive with this tobacco. I did not hate it, just found nothing really good about it either. I did not notice any "chemically" taste, just bland tobacco with no taste of vanilla (hardly any odor of it either). The only things I find notable about it is its very cheap price and the ability to blend it with other more tasty tobaccos and you don't notice it even there. Smoker's Pride makes a cherry that is horrible HOWEVER I found that by mixing three parts of this blend with one part of the cherry flavored, it turns something unsmokeable into something I actually can tolerate. I will not buy this product again but if given to me as a gift I would use it unlike the cherry which I can only recommend for use as a bug killer or plant fertilizer.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

Okay...this is certainly not a gourmet, tight tin connoisseur's tobac. Is what it is, a mild, lightly cased vanilla aro blend whose best utility is as a mixer with a higher quality vanilla item, or fruity flavoured aro. Nor is it so marginal that reviewer Ricochet, below, also found it enjoyable with a cherry cavendish poly bulk blend. In this way a budgetary challenged smoker can stretch the pleasure and not have to deplete the debit card balance.

I've mixed this with E.A. Carey's "Light Vanilla" and "Argosy Match" from pipesandcigars.com and created a more pleasurable, sweeter smoke. This also mixes well with any of the Altadis or Milan vanilla blends. Paladin's "Black Cherry" or Admiral's Choice "Cherry Cavendish" by Dream Castle are also viable blending options.

Sure, smoking it solitary is a two star endeavor but I raise it to = three stars as a worthy, cost effective if not frugal blending alternative. Happy hunting...

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I love vanilla blends and I've wanted to try this one out for a while, just to see mainly what the fuss was about.

As to the fuss, I still don't know. It doesn't smell like vanilla that much, and any smell you get is very, very chemical. Tastes boring, very one dimensional.

Though not terrible, there are much better vanilla mixtures out there, as I'm sure almost everyone is aware. But still, let it be said.

I think I'll stick to Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream for my vanilla fix.

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Update: Even at $9.98 for 12 oz, it ain't worth the money.

This not a bad tobacco, it's just very far from being anything good.

It looks like Cavendish. It feels like Cavendish. But, it ain't Cavendish.

It's bland, it's low in nicotine, and quite frankly, it does little more than produce smoke.

It's kind of like drinking Diet Caffeine Free Coke. What's the point? Why not simply drink colored water?

But, if you like the process of smoking, and want a pipe in your mouth while you piddle in the garage or work in the yard, this ain't bad for $9.98 for a 12 oz. bag, tax free, at the Navy Exchange.

Sometimes I feel like I waste my money on somewhat exclusive blends when I'm piddling, because I don't get the chance to savor all their qualities, but there's no risk in squandering this tobacco.

With that said, based on some reviews in this forum, coupled with price, I will be trying Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)

Smoker's pride is a cheap end blend but their Vanilla is worth while. It's not as tasty as other Cavendish based Vanilla blends but I do buy it now and then in bulk as a quick fire side smoke or when I'm mowin' the yard. It's very mild with a respectable room note. I don't really take pride in it and I hide it from my picky pipe smoking friends but I do find myself dipping out of the bag a couple times a month. But since I go for high end blends and only puff on my day off(sunday) now it sits there on the shelf most the time. It has a slightly bitter taste but the casing is pretty good for such a cheap blend. Not a bad bet but you will upgrade to a higher end Vanilla Cavendish soon. Tastes the best in a long stemmed pipe to mellow out the bitter bit.

Ricochet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ricochet (7)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smooth mild Cavendish with a good dose of vanilla. Smells and tastes great. Not much more expensive than potting soil. What's not to like about this? Great stuff!

I think it'll be great blended with the cherry cavendish. I just mixed some to try out.

Yep! It makes a great blend! Neither overpowers the other. You can smell and taste both in a nicely balanced mix. Great stuff! A terrific "dessert aromatic." I love it! Be aware that any pipe you try cherry in will taste and smell like cherry for a good while if you switch back to other stuff, though.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I confess a fondness for vanilla aromatics, and this blend has vanilla flavor in abundance. The flavor lasts throughout the bowl, and burns to a clean ash. Not a wet or goopy blend, I have gone thru several pounds of this stuff and much enjoy the taste - only problem there is some element of this blend I don?t know if is the flavorings toppings or the base tobaccos that does not agree with my throat and sinuses, too bad as it is truly a bargain and otherwise much to my liking.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I agree with the others that said you could do a lot worse for $1.99. Not great, but a decent smoke that would suffice in a pinch. If price was the only issue as to which tobacco to smoke, this would be a good choice.

I would say this is closer to Captain Black Gold than White. Captain Black White has a much nicer room aroma than Smokers Pride Vanilla.

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Comparable in some respects to Captain Black White, but just a tad weaker. The vanilla wasn't as strong as I would have liked, but I got lots of "Mmmmmm.... that smells good!" from non-smokers who smelled it in the room. No adverse comments at all! Light, relatively pleasant, and certainly inexpensive. I added the rest of the pouch to the blend I'm making, and it smoothed it out pretty good. All in all, an excellent blending bulk, and one I'd like by itself at anytime, but especially for a mild, inoffensive "walking around" tobacco.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)

Nothing memorable here. An okay, inoffensive mixture for the novice piper. Light vanilla flavoring taste either disappoints or relieves the smoker, since the aroma from the (unsmoked) blend itself suggests a stronger flavoring. If one is looking for another inexpensive vanilla 'fix', Captain Black's White would be the one.

I have to agree with Econopipe...This is a good starter. I actually preferred it to Capt. Black (white) when returning to pipes a couple of years ago. At $2 a pop, you could do a lot worse.

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Well, lets see. I find this to be a sour, nasty light vanilla flavored blend of horse manure & sawdust. Out of the pouch it smells pretty much the same as it tastes. The packaging says that it is value priced, but I couldnt see any value in it at all.

elpheasant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elpheasant (6)

My buddy had a HUGE bag of this stuff. He offered me a bowlful and I accepted.

My first impression was "Holy vanilla, Batman!" but this burns off a little. It smoked a little damp, but pretty cool. What surprised me more than the nice aroma it gave off was that I could taste the natural tobacco! By no means a memorable smoke, it was still worth a mention.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)

I bought this and a pouch of the Whiskey Smoker?s Pride early into my pipe smoking days. I figured at $1.99 each for a 1.5 oz pouch if I didn?t like it, no huge money loss that might entice me to finish the pouches anyway. I was delightfully surprised. It was very easy to pack, easy to light and gave off a nice aroma. The vanilla notes was not as strong as say, Captain black white, or Prince Albert?s Soft Vanilla, but that was actually a welcomed change as early in my pipe smoking days, I really only smoked heavily flavored pipe tobaccos. This was actually my first step into tobaccos that had a more natural flavor without going straight to totally non-flavored. Call this a gateway tobacco if you will. Great for new smokers that want to ease their way into non flavored or lightly flavored tobaccos without the bite of some of the more expensive flavored offerings. Granted, if smoked hard and hot, this will bite a bit, but in a corn cob or Dr. Grabow filtered pipe, this is a nice, relaxing smooth smoke that I still keep in my weekly rotation. When price and availability are factored in, this is definitely one I will always keep even if I smoke a bowl once a week. Reccomened to flavored lovers and newer smokers alike.