Mild Black Cavendish pipe smoking tobacco.

BrandSmoker's Pride

3.2
CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Finally found a bag of this stuff in a tobacco store in the next town. My only other experience with Smokers Pride is a very old bag of Whiskey which isn't to bad at all considering the price.

Taste: Could not really detect much taste at all. It is ultra mild in my opinion. I like to have a good tobacco flavor and this did not deliver. I did not really detect much change as the smoke progressed either. I did start to get a dry and sore throat though. More on that later.

Room Note: Vanilla, as the Mrs describes it. It does smell very nice.

Final Thoughts: I sincerely hope this isn't a fairly decent introduction to cavendish tobaccos. This isn't a terrible tobacco at all. In favor of it, it is very smooth. Did not bite at all. What doomed this tobacco for me is my body rejects it completely. I.E, allergic reaction. My tongue swells up like a balloon, my throat turns raw, and my mouth feels sore. No doubt I'm having a reaction to something in the casing, but I'm not sure what it is. I know that only this tobacco has done this to me thus far, fortunately. If not for the bad reaction I would use this to blend with other tobaccos.

UPDATE 09/30/2012 I've found the perfect use for this pipe tobacco. I've discovered that if I buy some traditional twist tobacco and cut it up into fine slices and mix an equal portion of this cavandish with it the result is an incredibly good smoke. Twist tobacco straight in the pipe is very very strong and not for the weak of heart. However, mixing this stuff with it will produce a simply fantastic smoke unlike anything else out there I've tried.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

...Normally not a smoke I would care for, as a lot of these tobaccos are far too sweet, too much casing/topping, and, too much PPG...

However, this Black Cavendish does not have the "over-the-top" additives as many like it do. Several times a year I get a desire to smoke this type tobacco and this fulfills my need adequately.

Certainly the price is reasonable and it smokes well in any size pipe...although I prefer a group 4 size or larger. Could be an all-day smoke as well.

Definitely worth a try if you're a fan of Black Cavendish or for those wishing to experiment a bit.

...a pipe is to be savored...

UPDATE: Frankly, this tobacco is almost an exact copy of BCA...

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

All-in-all, a darn fine tobacco for what you pay. Very similar to BCA, at about half the price.

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (4)

I thoroughly enjoy this blend from the first puff to the last. Very nice tin (bag) note and incredible room note. My wife hates tobacco smell and actually said she liked the smell of this and sat outside with me as I smoked it! Can burn hot if smoked quickly and at times leaves a wetter residue in the bottom of the bowl, but I wouldn't pass on this based on that since they do not frequent every smoking occasion. Extremely affordable ($2.99) and is cheaper at my local shop than online. If you buy it in bulk you get a steal of a deal on it.

I have everything from Frog Morton (3 different blends) to Mississippi River to G.L. Pease Gaslight on hand and i still love smoking the Smokers Pride Black Cavendish as well! I always make sure that I have some on hand because I enjoy it that much. I urge you to try it before judging it and at $3 for a 1.25 ounce bag, you can't go wrong. I would love to read some more reviews on it so please review when you try. Enjoy and happy puffing :)

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Amigo 51, MM Corn Cob and a $30 briar

Age When Smoked: 2 months and also from a freshly opened package

Purchased From: A Local Tobacco Shop

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q ( I like Smokers Pride BETTER than this!) and Captain Black "Dark".

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

This is the best of the Smokers Pride lineup . It looks and feels moist but it burns fine , smooth and cool . You couldn't get this to bite if you tried . It has the typical vanilla type Black Cavendish flavor that isn't way overdone and it does get better if ya leave the bag open for a few days right after you pop it . There are a few Black cavendishes I like better but not many . The roomnote is very good too ! If you like black Cavendish , it's a must try and it will give you a reason to stop by whatever place carries it around your town , as it is quite big in the market , you can probably find it locally

Agentorange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Agentorange (2)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have come to actually really enjoy this brand but this specific flavor takes the top of my list for my local brands.

I've tried several different Black Cavendish blends locally but Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish has been my favorite for years now. I've never gotten a bad batch from my local smoke shop the taste is fair and so is the price. I pay 12 bucks for a 12 oz bag at my favorite shop which is actually a great price for my location based on the many smoke shops I've been to.

Flavor is sweet but not too sweet. It's not harsh on my throat. It produces semi-thick smoke and the smell in the area is like honey. It's very balanced and actually better than what I'd expect for the price tag.

This is just my own personal opinion however based on what I've been sampled locally in Washington State it's been a step above the rest.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is pretty fair BC smoke, especially for the money. Dry it some first and you'll like it better. It gives you the vanilla flavor you expect and want from BC. No complexity, but you're not buying this for that anyway. It may also be the only SP tobacco that doesn't bite your tongue when you dry it. I consider this the best of the Smoker's Pride blends. Even though there are much better BC mixtures available, the cheap price makes this worth your time, which is also why it gets three stars, even though it's not quite a three star blend.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If you are not blessed with a higher quality tobacconist in your locale, this is a satisfactory blend for those of you that like a sweet, simple smoke with absolutely no bite. I was puffing on this stuff like a chimney and it never burned me. However, it does contain propylene-glycol, a common preservative and moistening agent in cheaper tobaccos. This substance, although inert and harmless, is the substance most responsible for gooping up a pipe. It is sticky and difficult to clean out of a good Briar piece, and seemingly more stubborn when it's an expensive one. That being said, when smoked out of a decent corn cob pipe that will keep up with moisture absorption, Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is very good tobacco. Smooth, mild, creamy, and absolutely fantastic for smoke rings. Beautiful white thick smoke. The taste is pretty simple. Sweet, and that's about it. The more experienced smoker might detect subtle things like raisins or brown sugar, or even things like chocolate and coffee, but it's basically just plain, sweet, and simple. Personally, I'd recommend a straight black Cavendish from a real tobacconist and not Walgreen's because it'll have all the sweetness and smoothness, without the goop. But if that's not an option for you, this will do. Dry it out a bit before smoking it though or you'll be gurgling pipe syrup the whole time. I'd recommend this to any beginning pipe smoker looking for something sweet and pleasing both to themselves and those around him. It's also good for the novice pipe smoker because it does not bite at all. In addition, you can't beat the price. 12 ounces for fifteen bucks is a steal any way you look at it.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Not a bad smoke. It's very moist and sticky due to the casing or whatever they add to it. It is very sweet; I like to mix it with Carter Hall which makes it a little less sweet. I always taste raisins, especially towards the end of the bowl. The price is quite economical; I would recommend picking up a bag if you're into aromatics as this would be a great everyday cheap smoke.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this blend is like the other sisters from the same line, comes in 12 oz bag at an affordable price. however, it is the most enjoyable! it is an all jet black cavendish with less flavoring so you can get the natural cavendish sweetness which is a consistence taste throughout the smoke. burn clean with few dottles in the bowl. puffing slowly might reduce/prevent the accumulation of goop in the bottom of the bowl. the room note is acceptable to many. i find it an easy to be an all day smoke, or a blending tobacco to lighten up some of the heavy stuff or add a sweetness to straight baccy.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Black Cavendish … The first thought that I have when somebody mentions Smokers Pride tobacco, is this stuff is just for those that want a cheap smoke. Its cost is sure enough low (cheap) but IMO this blend is also quit good, it reminds me of Lanes BCA and I enjoy a occasional smoke of several Lane blends including BCA.

I find this blend (SP/BC) both mild and bite free. For what I would call a (lite) aromatic, it sure is easy to manage, none of my usual ARO objections here. IMO this blend could easily be an all day smoke for those that enjoy lighter fare. As we all know, not all bargains end up a bargain, but for my taste this one sure did.

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A wonderful tobacco! Not very strong, but that's the ONLY complaint from me. Tastes wonderful, smells great, and makes the whole room smell of sweet vanilla and hazelnuts. This tobacco couldn't bite if it tried! And the fact that a 1 pound bag of this stuff goes for about $10 is just icing on the cake! Seriously, go out an pick a bag of this stuff up. I am confident that this blend can work its way into anyone's rotation if only as a filler. Cheers!

rgoot01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rgoot01 (5)

I decided to try this blend based on the other reviews and can honestly say that I am very pleased. The cool, sweet smoke and subtle vanilla of this blend result in a smooth and creamy mouth feel. This aromatic, unlike many others, is extremely smooth and bite free. This is the blend I would recommend to those beginning the hobby; unless the person is a cigarette smoker, than I would recommend something else like PA or H&H. The sweet smoke and fantastic room note get a two thumbs up from my better half; she has me smoke in the house occasionally instead of burning her scented candles. Easy to pack, easy to light, burns well, and blowing back into the stem from time to time during my smoke leaves the heel dry and dottle free. I smoke this blend in both my briars and cobs and can say that it is fantastic in either one. This blend has, without a doubt, made it's way into my daily rotation.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is a great smelling weed. It is loaded with humectant, thus the near impossible to dry it out. Very affordable, and available everywhere. I had no ill effects from smoking it straight, its just Extremely Light in Body ( if any at all). Probably a big hit in the Aromatic group, where crowd pleasin is a must,

The best use I have found is as a Mixer, it is great with Walnut, Even some PA. Some heavy Latakia Blends take well to a pinch of this BCA, Mix till you find a good Match Try it!

RC seminarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RC seminarian (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is another blend I decided to try based on the great reviews it has gotten here, and I was not disappointed. I've been smoking it about a year now. Sweet and cool smoking, at a great price. It comes way too moist for my taste, but it is incredibly hard to dry out by exposing it to the air. I have left it out overnight with little difference in moisture, yet it always burns consistently well. Go figure. Little to no tongue bite; if it is burley, I can't tell. Very little bitterness at the bottom of the bowl.

A very nice, basic black cavendish. Makes a good 50/50 mix with Carter Hall, also.

IMA_Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IMA_Redneck (7)

Tried this after getting a bad chemical taste from Captain Black. Found this to be a pleasing smoke with a nice sweetness. The wife finds the aroma to be of vanilla and encourages me to smoke in the house. Coming from cigarettes I don't get the nicotine kick from this I need. I found a blend of 4-1 with Prince Albert kicks it up a notch and counteracts some of the sweetness. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a satisfying sweet smoke.

Update after a few weeks. Towards the middle of the bag this tobacco was much too moist. Hard to keep lit and would get bitter towards the bottom of the bowl. Will have to dry it out a bit. Dropping 1 star as a result.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered this tobacco on the recommendations found here. I did not expect much at all since a 1 pound bag of this was less than $13 (US). I received it today and I am one happy smoker. The odor in the bag was nice but the tobacco looked really wet. It only appeared that way, lit up well with no drying. It stays lit quite well but you must keep dumping your ash otherwise it burns down to the bottom of the bowl with no relights. I truly enjoyed this blend, no chemical taste or the like just wonderful smoking. Its a bit harsh right near the bottom of the bowl when inhaled but no tongue bite even with big pulls on the pipe. I highly recommend this for novice smokers especially if you are switching from cigarettes to pipes and wish to inhale a bit. A very good value!

Added Note: I have been smoking this now for a while, I use it to blend with other tobaccos and also to mix with other pricier black cavendish tobaccos to extend my money a bit. The taste is mild enough not to overpower and the price is good enough to make it a guilt free everyday smoke. A real bargain, a must try for sure!

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Very good, no nonsence, old fashioned black cavendish. If one were to put this in a tin with a fancy(somtimes silly, name), you who like black cavendish most proberly woud pay more. I say that because it is true bc, easy, smooth smoke, better than many other bc, this has no artifcial casing that I can detect. The price on this is so friendly that I must applaud Lane Limited. If you like plain bc, then by George, get some of this stuff, put it in a mason jar, smoke it like it is, or blend it. An easy smoke to sip, roll, inhale( YES MUST OF US DO INHALE A FEW TIMES DURING OUR SMOKE). Enjoy, bc fans. 3 stars

iron4125 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iron4125 (1)

my ideal is smooth, relaxing and nicely aromatic, something that this tobacco covers very well. this is the type of tobacco that is nice to have at the end of a day of hard work with a glass of whiskey. relax and ease into the evening. it also keeps well, i have been smoking the same 12 oz bag for about a year and a half, and is also decent as hand rolled cigarette adds to its value. this is my favorite pipe tobacco. That being said i have only had occasion to sample four different types.

Affton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Affton (3)

The buck stops here. In my humble opinion this is the standard by which all other tobacco is to be judged. It packs well, it lights well, it stays lit with little effort. Those are the mechanics of it. The flavor is sweet and mild and it will not bite you. Have I left anything out? Oh yes, the price is just right.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with most of the positive things said about this blend.I will sometimes smoke this straight up---although it is way to mild. Still it is a very nice smoke.It really shines as a cheap way to fix and smooth out a harsh ,or bland mix.Any blend that needs just a little sweet or a little smooth,can usually be helped out with a touch of Black Cavendish,IMO.For an OTC bag tobacco I think it is pretty solid.But if you smoke it straight remember---slow puffs-try to keep the bowl cool- bring a pipe cleaner or two-and don't expect a flavor explosion---it's just a mild black Cavendish and nothing wrong with that.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (63)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lovely!It really doesnt get much better than this for the price. The pouch arouma is smooth and sweet with notes of vanilla and sweet cream butter. The cut is consistant and easy to pack, but its a little damp out of the bag, so it will need to air out for a bit. It took the match well and stayed lit the whole way down. Upon lighting the aroma and taste might remind one of heavey cream, honey and bread pudding. This one has just the right amount of sweetness without masking the tobacco's natural flavour. This stuff blends well with pretty much anything but is just fine on its own. I could see this being an everyday smoke for some, although not myself. A must try for any budget pipe smoker and fan of aromatics

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this on the recommendation of my fellow smokers. It is the perfect smoke when you just need something sweet and neutral, no heavy english, no cloying strange concoction in a small tin, no virginia, nothing but a sweet smoke.

It leaves no aftertaste, actually no indication you smoked anything at all, just a mild rise from the nicotine. While each draw is pleasurable, there is nothing to remember 10 minutes after you are done.

It blends well, but acts like a blanket for other tobaccos, completely smothering other flavors. Use it sparingly.

I would guess it is about the same as other vanilla black cavendish offerings. But I see no reason to waste time or money to find out. Just another can of beans.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not a bad thing to say about this tobacco! I was a bit nervous at first because the whiskey blend gave me aweful toungebite. This blend though, burns cool, smells good and tastes marvelous! It is a good all day smoked with a good vanilla flavour. Its a bit moist but doesn't seem too "goopy" to me. It could probably stand to be dried but I think it smokes very well as is. I tried to entice this blend to bite but it just wouldn't do it!

I can say this makes a good all day smoke, because its casing can compliment anything from my morning black coffee, to my evening bourbon and soda. If you are evn thinking about trying this blend, DO IT! You won't be sorry!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

Not as strong as their vanilla cavendish in the vanilla department. The vanilla taste in this one is milder and easier to take. I think this one like the other is capable of ghosting a pipe so use your cobs. Overall not unpleasant to smoke. A bit too sticky and needs to be dried out for a few days before you smoke it. Very useful in mixing into other bland tobaccos to liven them up. Very sweet. Can bite you if you smoke it too fast.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (14)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good and inexpensive smoke. It has become my go-to daily smoke. Generates great clouds of smoke. It will bite if you work at. I find it a little too damp when first opened, making it hard to keep lit and generating some gurgle. Given a few hours exposure to the air, and it improves all the way around. Good flavor, and the room note is very nice--wife has approved it. Getting to the end of the first 12 oz bag, but have another one ready to go.

I did not expect much from this blend. I had a forum buddy send me a very large bag of this and as always, I will try anything. Well, was I surprised! I liked this. It is not MacBarons Vanilla Creme nor is it Lanes BCA, but it is very tasty mild and smooth in it's own right. I could smoke this as an all day blend if money became short for me. it has a great vanilla sweet pouch aroma and it is a mixed of black with some brown thrown in. It is wet, so I dried some out before smoking it, but as it takes forever to dry, I did load the pipe with it still being too wet. But it packed easily and lit easily and it stayed lit well. It imparts a soft mild vanilla flavor with a burley base shining through. It was surprisingly mild for a cheap aromatic and the vanilla flavor was quite good and not chemical tasting. it smoked all the way down without relights and while it did leave moisture and dottle at the bottom of my pipe, I found I enjoyed it enough to reload another pipe and repeat. It was great with coffee. So to sum it up, this is one of the best of the cheap drugstore blend aromatics I have ever smoked. Will it be a regular of mine, no, but I would have no problem smoking it if tobacco gets scarce on us.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Ok, this was the first tobacco I tried back in college and it's the same one that got me back to pipe smoking. It's sweet, mellow, smells good, and well, cheap. I don't think I'd buy a lot of it because the preservatives kind of weird me out. But, if I was somewhere where this was all there was, I'd get it again. I would recommend it to a new smoker though.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like the majority of my fellow reviewers, I liked this aromatic... a lot! When my sweet tooth starts acting up in the future this could well be my "go to" aromatic. Smoker's Pride tobaccos are quite popular with the "OTC" crowd for good reason, they put out a quality and inexpensive product and Black Cavendish is no exception.

The added flavoring is tasty and hinted of Vanilla and Cherry to me. The strength of the blend was surprising in that it was a little more powerful than what I am used to getting from cased Black Cavendish tobaccos. It burned mostly dry and stayed lit easily... Dirt cheap, too!

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Garden mulch. Like all heavily PG laden Smoker's Pride blends, it isn't fit for a pipe.

j4nier38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j4nier38 (9)

All things considered this is a fine aromatic. It comes pretty moist sticky but Ive never had a problem with it gooping up the pipe too bad or gurgling. I like the taste and room note and it doesn't bite. Ive been pipe smoking for almost two years now and although Ive been smoking aromatics less and less when Im in the mood this does the trick. Plus its dirt cheap, nothing wrong with that.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)

Out of the bag it's a bit sticky and moist but actually takes a light and smokes very nice with NO bite. It has a rasin-like/vanilla smell in the bag and tastes about the same...the room note is fine and pleasant with a little more twang than others but still nothing offensive. It's a drugstore tobacco so of course it's going to be a little wet and goopy but I've had worse...A little time drying out might help. It won't kill your tongue or your wallet...you can't go wrong. If you Take it for what it is you will be impressed. It's a simple, mild, cool and satisfying smoke that is WAY better than the usual cheap stuff, although it is pretty one dimentional. It's nothing special, there is nothing about it that will jump out at you. It's very mild, maybe even too mild. But Most of all I was shocked how well it smoked and it has zero bite. Not bad at all. It just sucks that they sell such giant bags of this stuff or other buget brands, I won't smoke it regularly but I won't toss it in the can either...I'll have this bag for a long, long time...lol. If your limited to drugstore tobaccos or on a tight budget, this may be a good blend for you to have around or even for the first time pipe smoker.

Brother Liberty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Liberty (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

For the price this is a very nice tobacco. The closest tobacco on the market in the same venue would be BCA. I have found the tobacco to be of a sticky nature, but does not overly goop up my pipe. Furthermore, I did not experience tongue bite or burn with this aromatic.

I generally do not like aromatics, but I found this a nice indoor tobacco for cold winter days. (Translation - I do not get an ear full from the Lady of the House!) =)

Chad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chad (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is THE first tobacco I ever smoked when I started the pipe habit. I loved it. It tasted great, seemed to burn well and smelled divine. It smelled so good I wanted to eat it when I would load my pipe. That was some years ago and have had a real hard time getting my hands on any lately. My loyalty being mostly with the Prince, I know that my tastes have changed. I like a real, simple, unassuming tobacco but if I could get my hands on some of this, I would smoke some at least once a day. I think it was a good one to start myself off with. If you smoked it too hard, it would bite you, but if you puffed gently, it was heavenly. The only complaint I had was that it seemed to be a pretty wet smoke. All-in-all, if I could get this stuff, I would keep some on hand all the time for that occasional sweet tooth I get.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I first started my pipe smoking pleasure over 30+ years ago with black cavendish pipe tobacco. I am sure I haven't sampled them all, but I've smoked many (25 years ago Flying Dutchman had a black cavendish that I enjoyed, but I haven't seen nor heard of it since). Perhaps that I've gravitated toward tobaccos with a more flavorful, tobacco taste, Smoker's Pride doesn't do it for me. It feels like I'm smoking hot air - very flat in taste; except for the chemical aftertaste which is a bit acrid.

On the plus side, it loads well (albeit a bit sticky - even after months in the cellar), and doesn't produce any bite to speak of. It has a tendency to gurgle in the pipe which necessitates the use of several pipe cleaners. Takes anywhere from 3-4 matches to get it going and for me, requires some relighting along the way. The most positive thing going for it is its pouch aroma (vanilla) and room note; although I can't discern the room note while I'm smoking the blend. Unless you light this up in the middle of an anti-smoking league convention, you're likely not to get thrown out. But after all of the time devoted to pipes and tobacco, when I smoke, I do it for me, not for those around me. If I am smoking a blend that I feel would upset the delicate balance of a non-smoker's sense of smell, I respect that and I go off and smoke by my lonesome.

Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is great for the beginner or novice smoker to get their feet wet, but if I desire an aromatic, I need something I can taste as well as smell. I do keep some around, and over the past year or so may have had a half dozen smokes of this. Definitely not a rotation smoke, not even a third string pick; a smoke-it-on-a-whim for me. For these reasons, I can only rate it 2 stars out of 4.

Homeboyd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Homeboyd (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This stuff is great! There is no negatives in my opinion, cheap, tasty and did i say cheap? I found this at a small smoke shop near my house for a whopping 8 bucks for a 12oz bag! At that price and the reviews i found on this site i couldn't turn it down. It has i nice full bodied taste with absolutely no bite, smell good, just a great smoke anytime of the day. I think this may be my favorite just for the fact that its good and very cheap.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)

Now this is a rare treat,the 'secret ingredient' to Captain Black and a whole slew of other aromatics that goop up your pipe.The casing in aromatics is responsible for gooping not the tobaccos really.Black Cavendish from Smoker's Pride(even Walgreens for that matter) is a wonderful smoke,very classic.It smokes very well with a wonderful room note making it a real enjoyment.I wouldn't classify any plain old Black Cavendish as an aromatic..however it has been outdated for many years just like burley lost it's fame because it's simple one type of tobacco and that's it!Makes a nice everyday smoke for a mild,dry, and sweet smoke,especially nice to smoke in the fall or winter as well.Enjoy!

Ricochet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ricochet (7)

I've been comparing this side by side with BCA and smoking them back to back in a large, cool smoking meerschaum. I cannot distinguish them visually or by pouch scents. Smoking's a different matter, though. Whereas BCA is consummately smooth and mild, Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish has a full, robust taste and aroma of fire cured tobacco that I really like! As a beginning smoker I wouldn't have liked the stronger tobacco taste as well, but as a more experienced smoker I now prefer it. BCA has long been my favorite tobacco, but I now have a new favorite!

I asked my lovely wife what she thought about the room note, as she's sometimes said in an uncomplimentary way "You're not smoking your usual stuff!" when I've smoked tobaccos other than BCA. She sniffed this rather closely and thought about it. She said she'd really have to compare them to be sure, but when I said I thought it had a more robust tobacco note to it, she agreed and said she liked it better. So it passes the "wife test" in my house. :-)

In the Smoker's Pride line, I'd probably point a beginner to the Vanilla Cavendish first. But for myself, the Black Cavendish is the stuff!

Doesn't hurt that it's cheap, too! :-D

bigpipe61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigpipe61 (6)

Being relatively new to pipe smoking I have already discovered that more expensive tin brands are not what they are cracked up to be. This was the first tobacco I bought for my pipe due partially to the price and partially to the way it smelled in the bag. I hope I'm not alone on this but it reminded me of cheesecake as far as initial aroma in the pouch. The taste was mild and hinted at a sweet natural vanilla flavor without being too heavily cased. For the price this stuff is hard to beat, I would definately recommend it to beginning as well as more experienced smokers for a break in the norm (unless this is your norm in which case there's nothing wrong with that either).

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After reading the other reviews, I went out and bought one of their 12oz bags. One of the best purchases I have made! I smoked a couple bowls of it, then used some to cut a pouch of cherry, rum and other blends. Excellent choice! Packed well, lights really easy, holds the light to the end of the bowl, draws smooth and cool all the way to the end of the bowl, and imparts that cozy, comfy room note. This is one I will keep buying, even though it is a low-end bulk. You just never know when you will find an excellent, tasty, smooth burning black cav that is also a low cost!

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When A local tobacconist (cigarette shop) in the small town in which I reside began stocking some pipe tobaccos, and primarily based upon the reviews of this blend, I purchased a 12 oz. package. I smoke a rather wide variety of tobaccos,(more unflavored over the past 5 years) but still enjoy a good aromatic on occasion. Surprisingly, this blend is not listed among those produced by Lane Limited, although it is clearly displayed on the packaging.

To make a long story short, I found the blend to be a very pleasant smoke and am in agreement with most of what has already been said. But there is one thing I find a bit puzzling. If you read the reviews of Lane BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) they are surprisingly similar to what is written here regarding Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish. It's been a while since I've smoked any BCA which is one of Lane's staples and best sellers, but from what I can recall the tobaccos are very similar, but the price for this blend being well below that of BCA.

Same tobacco? I have no idea, but for the difference in price, the choice between the two is not a difficult one.

F. Prefect

Dog Trainer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dog Trainer (1)

Having smoked a pipe for more than three decades, I've tried many tobaccos. This has been my exclusive favorite for over ten years. I still try new tobaccos of various cuts and composition, but fail to find any better. I have had ladies standing next to me at a street corner make favorable comments about the aroma, and it does not leave an unplesant odor inside. I smoke a 12 ounce package per week, and find that with the moist heel, it benefits by putting it in an uncovered container. The tobacco is best smoked in a filtered pipe. One of the major pleasures of this tobacco is the ability to smoke it outside in windy conditions, and still not get a burned tongue or mouth. The absence of bite, highly acceptable aroma, consistent taste, and excellent value-for-price make this a very much above choice. Strongest recommendation.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like straight black Cavendish this is a good choice. A bite free smoke that would be good for new pipers.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like straight black Cavendish blends, and you are on a tight budget, this is surprisingly good. Mild, sweet, and not particularly wet in the pipe. This would also make a fine beginner's smoke, as it is biteless. It leaves a mildly unpleasant aftertaste to me, and I won't buy more, but I have definitely had worse.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)

Now this I like. Not only does it taste great, smell great and smoke great it?s cheap too! Definitely one of the better budget tobaccos out there. The flavor is not as bitey as Borkum Riff black cavendish or is it as spicy as Captain Black. Just smooth mild black cavendish that smokes cool and does not give you tongue bite. The room not is very pleasant as I have had only compliments about the aroma. Also, this is one of the few I can smell myself as I smoke another added bonus. This blend does need a little drying but that is easy and at the price I an take the time to dry it and it also saves money not needing to add any humidifiers to the pouch. Since it does slighly goop up the bottom of the pipe I would recommend smoking this in a corn cob, Kaywoodie Drinkless or filter pipe because even though I enjoy it, I still would not recommend trying it out in a expensive pipe. But then again I doubt anyone would. I am starting to like the Smoker?s Pride Blends as so far the only one I did not like at all is the Cherry and I might even give that another try as tastes do change.

ZionThePissed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZionThePissed (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of the first pipe tobbacos I ever bought. This is a great low-end black cevendish. The aroma is wonderful and smokes quite dry. It came nice and moist in the package and it lasted me about 3 months. I would recommend this to the beginning pipe smoker. Burns nice and cool and will not damage a pipe by smoking it too hot.