Smoker’s Pride Black Cavendish is a slowly steam processed form of burley with a warm, sweet flavor and outstanding vanilla aroma.

BrandSmoker's Pride
Strength
Taste

3.4
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a pretty fair BC smoke, especially for the money. Dry it some first and you'll like it better. It gives you the vanilla flavor you expect and want from BC. No complexity, but you're not buying this for that anyway. Makes a decent mixer or a plain, all day unobtrusive sweet smoke that your friends will enjoy smelling. It burns decently with a little dry time, won't bite or get harsh, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Needs few relights. Even though there are better BC mixtures available, the cheap price makes this worth your time, which is also why it gets three stars, even though it's not quite a three star blend.

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the wearisome issues of being a pipesmoker is that well-wishing but utterly clueless neighbors and friends always want to give you tobaccos to try. Things can get really interesting when they want to hang out with you while you smoke it to see how much you love it. Enter Smokers Pride Black Cavendish. "Oh, Goodness!", thought I in despair, but bravely putting on an "I just sucked a lemon" smile... a bagged black Cavendish gooper! What's next, dirty socks rolled in chocolate???

I was concerned over nothing. I smoke an oz or two a year of Lane's BCA, not because I love it but because it brings back memories of when I was a beginner. I've started many a new smoker on this tobacco to give them a start towards better blends in the future. BCA holds a special place in my heart, and this Smokers Pride, also made by Lane's, is the spitting image of BCA. It's not goopier or different in taste. It's vanilla bag aroma is no different. Granted, it needs a little bit of drying time or it'll smoke too wet - same as BCA. Even dried, it leaves some goop in the pipe and will ghost a pipe faster than a snake can eat a mouse. But if you enjoy Lane's BCA and like to stock up on tobacco to save a few bucks, you can buy this instead. I would have no prayer on my best day of discerning this from BCA in a blind test. I intend to steer all newbie smokers to this one unless they're cigarette or cigar smokers. It's a very nice inoffensive lightly flavored vanilla blend that is lower in goop than many aromatics. It won't set the world on fire but there are other blends for that purpose. This is just to get you started on your journey, and you might find yourself smoking an oz or two each year even when you've graduated to higher quality tobaccos. Oh, and this is based on 3 bowls worth... it's not like you need to dissect this to figure it out.

thousmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thousmoke (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

∆ A pleasant smoking tobacco, with an excellent price point ∆

Upon opening this 12oz bag, strong notes of english prune, vanilla, and chocolate fudge emerge. Such scents are pleasing to the nose, and smells rather edible. The tobacco flakes are quite moist, and consistently black in colour. I loaded my new, long-stemmed pipe with this mix, and packed it down with one firm push of the thumb. The first lighting gave me a surge of cool, simple, and tasty plumes. After six Sea Dog matches were spent, the pipe remained lit for the rest of the session. I am in agreement with others that a gentle drying is required. All of the said scent profile is dialed back and combined into a medium taste. Ciao.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo Cha-Cha Walnut Churchwarden

Purchased From: B&M

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

...Normally not a smoke I would care for, as a lot of these tobaccos are far too sweet, too much casing/topping, and, too much PPG...

However, this Black Cavendish does not have the "over-the-top" additives as many like it do. Several times a year I get a desire to smoke this type tobacco and this fulfills my need adequately.

Certainly the price is reasonable and it smokes well in any size pipe...although I prefer a group 4 size or larger. Could be an all-day smoke as well.

Definitely worth a try if you're a fan of Black Cavendish or for those wishing to experiment a bit.

...a pipe is to be savored...

UPDATE: Frankly, this tobacco is almost an exact copy of BCA...

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a nice Black Cav. Toasty and sweet with a nice nuance of vanilla. There is just a hint of a lightly applied chocolate flavor. Not the richest in flavor that I've tried, but it has plenty enough to enjoy. Just a small amount of stickiness. Not enough to cause any trouble. A nice smoke all by itself.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. Flavoring is mild. Needs no drying time. Burns well with no goop.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Patriot

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

This is the best of the Smokers Pride lineup . It looks and feels moist but it burns fine , smooth and cool . If youve never smoked a black Cavendish OTC , you'll probably need to relight cause youre not used to this type blend . You couldn't get this to bite if you tried . It has the typical vanilla/carmel [ ? ] type Black Cavendish flavor that isn't way overdone and it does get better if ya leave the bag open for a few days right after you pop it . There are a few Black cavendishes I like better but not many . The roomnote is very good too ! If you like black Cavendish , it's a must try and it will give you a reason to stop by whatever place carries it around your town , as it is quite big in the market , you can probably find it locally . It is , from what I can tell the same as the new Captain Black dark , though the flavoring is a touch different , it's basically the some stuff

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

All - in - all, a darn fine tobacco for what you pay. Very similar to BCA, at about half the price. One of the few 'true' pipe tobaccos I can find locally.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like the majority of my fellow reviewers, I liked this aromatic... a lot! When my sweet tooth starts acting up in the future this could well be my "go to" aromatic. Smoker's Pride tobaccos are quite popular with the "OTC" crowd for good reason, they put out a quality and inexpensive product and Black Cavendish is no exception.

The added flavoring is tasty and hinted of Vanilla and Cherry to me. The strength of the blend was surprising in that it was a little more powerful than what I am used to getting from cased Black Cavendish tobaccos. It burned mostly dry and stayed lit easily... Dirt cheap, too!

Ste2ph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ste2ph (3)

Im new to smoking pipe tobacco. So far ive tried 2 brands. Criss Cross and Smokers Pride. Between them Ive tried 6 different blends. So far this blend is my absolute favorite. It burns slow, very aromatic compared to the other 3 aromatic blends ive tried with Smokers Pride. I can smell the chocolate in the air. When i first opened the pouch it litterally smelled like chocolate cake. And the aroma, aww man, i cant get enough of it. The texture is moist and it looks like black dirt but its my favorite right now :-)

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I always laugh when I read a review that states the reviewer had received a giant bag of cheap pipe tobacco and was forced to smoke some in the presence of the gift giver out of courtesy, respect etc... Well here I am fatzing around in my office when my girlfriend comes running in, bouncing around the room like she won the lottery saying she had found this giant bag of BC while at the mall and how good it smelled.. Thanks Hunny!!! (rolling my eyes) So here I am with my gallon size bag of BC waiting for her to leave but she won't of course until I pack a bowl so she can see my amazement at her find of the century. She picks out my largest (and most expensive) pipe, an Ardor, and hands it to me. At this point I'm almost convinced this is a joke but I play along since I know the two potential outcomes. 1. I resist and Dr Jekyll transforms from a bubbly 30 year old happy blonde into a crying, angry and resentful Mr Hyde. 2. I swallow my pride, burn my tongue and ensure I "get some" (or at the very least avoid option #1). I pack a bowl and light it, to my amazement BC is a bagged and slightly PG'd BCA which makes sense since Lane manufactures both. Really not bad at all! Marshmallow / Chocolate taste and aroma. No bite! If your girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband etc. brings a bag home, do the right thing and give BC a try, it's not bad at all and I'm sure will make a great mixer.

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Black Vanilla.

Bryan G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bryan G (1)

One of the best Black Cavendish I have tried at any price, a plus that it is so cheap. Mild, No Bite and Burns well, Highly Recommended.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentlemen

Purchased From: p&C

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)

As with some other reviewers, I'm not much of an aromatic smoker. I can't even remember the last time I smoked a bowl of this by itself. I do, however, keep a stock of it on hand at all times. I use it quite frequently to adjust blends that are surprisingly strong or just to add a bit of sweetness to a blend for a one-time smoke or, in some cases (if it improves the flavor for me), each time I smoke that mixture. I have also used it to slow down the burn on some blends.

The topping in this BC is mild so it doesn't overpower whatever it is added to, isn't overly moist, and burns well. I have found that isn't the case with some others brands. Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is a valuable asset for blending and is reasonably priced to boot.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: from bag

Purchased From: Local b&m

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered this tobacco on the recommendations found here. I did not expect much at all since a 1 pound bag of this was less than $13 (US). I received it today and I am one happy smoker. The odor in the bag was nice but the tobacco looked really wet. It only appeared that way, lit up well with no drying. It stays lit quite well but you must keep dumping your ash otherwise it burns down to the bottom of the bowl with no relights. I truly enjoyed this blend, no chemical taste or the like just wonderful smoking. Its a bit harsh right near the bottom of the bowl when inhaled but no tongue bite even with big pulls on the pipe. I highly recommend this for novice smokers especially if you are switching from cigarettes to pipes and wish to inhale a bit. A very good value!

Added Note: I have been smoking this now for a while, I use it to blend with other tobaccos and also to mix with other pricier black cavendish tobaccos to extend my money a bit. The taste is mild enough not to overpower and the price is good enough to make it a guilt free everyday smoke. A real bargain, a must try for sure!

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent black cav, good tobacco flavor, lights and smokes well after some dry time. Put some in a non-plastic bowl and leave on the counter for a few hours. Easily the best of the SP line, black cav done right.

For the price, 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark, PS Dansk Black.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)

Bought a 12 oz bag smoked some today very pleasant vanilla/ toasted marshmallow taste. I enjoyed this black cavendish and would recommend this well balanced aromatic. Also it was not sticky or goopy.

Pipe Used: MM old country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the bag

Similar Blends: Captain Black dark and Lane BCA.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)

On Tuesday at our pipe club meeting this was the mystery tobacco. Thrown in a jar and passed. Everyone in the group misidentified the tobacco. Most thought it was a bulk Snuff lite blend. Some felt it was Lane. A few grabbed to the idea it was a Peterson blend long forgotten. First time I tried it. It packed very nice with a gravity drop. Lit fast and kept going to the end. Little tamper was needed. Smokes very sweet with heavy smoke. We really filled up the room. The ladies all liked the room note. I could not smell any but hey I spend more time smoking than smelling. No moisture to speak of here. In all a very good tobacco. Several members went to the smoke shack were it is sold and bought them out. I guess it was a hit.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Age When Smoked: New in Jar

Purchased From: Pipe Club Meeting

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this blend is like the other sisters from the same line, comes in 12 oz bag at an affordable price. however, it is the most enjoyable! it is an all jet black cavendish with less flavoring so you can get the natural cavendish sweetness which is a consistence taste throughout the smoke. burn clean with few dottles in the bowl. puffing slowly might reduce/prevent the accumulation of goop in the bottom of the bowl. the room note is acceptable to many. i find it an easy to be an all day smoke, or a blending tobacco to lighten up some of the heavy stuff or add a sweetness to straight baccy.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Black Cavendish … The first thought that I have when somebody mentions Smokers Pride tobacco, is this stuff is just for those that want a cheap smoke. Its cost is sure enough low (cheap) but IMO this blend is also quit good, it reminds me of Lanes BCA and I enjoy a occasional smoke of several Lane blends including BCA.

I find this blend (SP/BC) both mild and bite free. For what I would call a (lite) aromatic, it sure is easy to manage, none of my usual ARO objections here. IMO this blend could easily be an all day smoke for those that enjoy lighter fare. As we all know, not all bargains end up a bargain, but for my taste this one sure did.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is a great smelling weed. It is loaded with humectant, thus the near impossible to dry it out. Very affordable, and available everywhere. I had no ill effects from smoking it straight, its just Extremely Light in Body ( if any at all). Probably a big hit in the Aromatic group, where crowd pleasin is a must,

The best use I have found is as a Mixer, it is great with Walnut, Even some PA. Some heavy Latakia Blends take well to a pinch of this BCA, Mix till you find a good Match Try it!

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lovely!It really doesnt get much better than this for the price. The pouch arouma is smooth and sweet with notes of vanilla and sweet cream butter. The cut is consistant and easy to pack, but its a little damp out of the bag, so it will need to air out for a bit. It took the match well and stayed lit the whole way down. Upon lighting the aroma and taste might remind one of heavey cream, honey and bread pudding. This one has just the right amount of sweetness without masking the tobacco's natural flavour. This stuff blends well with pretty much anything but is just fine on its own. I could see this being an everyday smoke for some, although not myself. A must try for any budget pipe smoker and fan of aromatics

pipewrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewrench (7)

In the pouch: A slight chocolate/vanilla liqueur smell which dissipates with a little dry time. A little on the damp side of normal.

In the bowl: A slightly sweet mild vanilla and caramel flavor. The chocolate is barely noticeable. Surprisingly no bite or harshness. Burns well right out of the bag, but does improve with a little dry time without losing flavor. Leaves a minute amount of moisture/dottle in the bowl. Pleasant aftertaste. Burns well. Flavor remains through the bowl. An all day smoke.

While this blend stands alone very well I find it shines as a mixer. I've tamed some harsh blends, slowed down some fast/hot burners, and mellowed out others without overpowering their flavors. I hadn't tried any black cavs in a very long time because of previous unpleasant experiences, but that has changed now. I'll certainly buy more. 3.5 stars.

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh to1week.

audax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
audax (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great blending tobacco and also a cool and tasty smoke by itself. It has the same taste as Lane BCA but is a rougher cut and a LOT cheaper! Most bags offer a very moist tobacco which needs a relight several times per bowl. Blend it down with other tobacco's and this issue goes away.

I like the McClelland Easy Street walnut flavor but it is usually a strong taste smoked by itself. Mix 3 (SPBC) to 1 (Easy Street) and the BC picks up the walnut taste, smooths it out, and has a nice moisture level, great taste, and a really nice room note.

The same with McCleland UPCA Maple Supreme. a 3 to 1 mixture, great smooth smoke with a very pleasant room note.

Similar Blends: Lane BCA..

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)

I bought this for a cheaper alternative to Lane's BCA. The tobacco is close to Captain Black Dark, Tinder Box Captain spice and it was close to Lane's BCA.I was very happy with my 12 oz bag purchase.I would buy this again very happy!

Pipe Used: morta briar meershaum

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark Lane's BCA and Tinder Box Captain Spice.

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Got a bowl of this from a friend. Since I do smoke aromatics in the morning with coffee, thought I'd give it a try.

Not bad! When one considers the price (around $13 for a 12 oz. bag), this is four star. Cool smoke, pleasant room note, no bite. Who can complain?

That said, it doesn't really ring my bell. I enjoy a bit more complexity and strength, which are absent here. However, if you are a fan of uber mild, simple flavors, this is a great value.

Pipe Used: Unknown briar

Similar Blends: Lane BCA.

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (12)

I thoroughly enjoy this blend from the first puff to the last. Very nice tin (bag) note and incredible room note. My wife hates tobacco smell and actually said she liked the smell of this and sat outside with me as I smoked it! Can burn hot if smoked quickly and at times leaves a wetter residue in the bottom of the bowl, but I wouldn't pass on this based on that since they do not frequent every smoking occasion. Extremely affordable ($2.99) and is cheaper at my local shop than online. If you buy it in bulk you get a steal of a deal on it.

I have everything from Frog Morton (3 different blends) to Mississippi River to G.L. Pease Gaslight on hand and i still love smoking the Smokers Pride Black Cavendish as well! I always make sure that I have some on hand because I enjoy it that much. I urge you to try it before judging it and at $3 for a 1.25 ounce bag, you can't go wrong. I would love to read some more reviews on it so please review when you try. Enjoy and happy puffing :)

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Amigo 51, MM Corn Cob and a $30 briar

Age When Smoked: 2 months and also from a freshly opened package

Purchased From: A Local Tobacco Shop

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q ( I like Smokers Pride BETTER than this!) and Captain Black "Dark".

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is another blend I decided to try based on the great reviews it has gotten here, and I was not disappointed. I've been smoking it about a year now. Sweet and cool smoking, at a great price. It comes way too moist for my taste, but it is incredibly hard to dry out by exposing it to the air. I have left it out overnight with little difference in moisture, yet it always burns consistently well. Go figure. Little to no tongue bite; if it is burley, I can't tell. Very little bitterness at the bottom of the bowl.

A very nice, basic black cavendish. Makes a good 50/50 mix with Carter Hall, also.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good and inexpensive smoke. It has become my go-to daily smoke. Generates great clouds of smoke. It will bite if you work at. I find it a little too damp when first opened, making it hard to keep lit and generating some gurgle. Given a few hours exposure to the air, and it improves all the way around. Good flavor, and the room note is very nice--wife has approved it. Getting to the end of the first 12 oz bag, but have another one ready to go.

I did not expect much from this blend. I had a forum buddy send me a very large bag of this and as always, I will try anything. Well, was I surprised! I liked this. It is not MacBarons Vanilla Creme nor is it Lanes BCA, but it is very tasty mild and smooth in it's own right. I could smoke this as an all day blend if money became short for me. it has a great vanilla sweet pouch aroma and it is a mixed of black with some brown thrown in. It is wet, so I dried some out before smoking it, but as it takes forever to dry, I did load the pipe with it still being too wet. But it packed easily and lit easily and it stayed lit well. It imparts a soft mild vanilla flavor with a burley base shining through. It was surprisingly mild for a cheap aromatic and the vanilla flavor was quite good and not chemical tasting. it smoked all the way down without relights and while it did leave moisture and dottle at the bottom of my pipe, I found I enjoyed it enough to reload another pipe and repeat. It was great with coffee. So to sum it up, this is one of the best of the cheap drugstore blend aromatics I have ever smoked. Will it be a regular of mine, no, but I would have no problem smoking it if tobacco gets scarce on us.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Ok, this was the first tobacco I tried back in college and it's the same one that got me back to pipe smoking. It's sweet, mellow, smells good, and well, cheap. I don't think I'd buy a lot of it because the preservatives kind of weird me out. But, if I was somewhere where this was all there was, I'd get it again. I would recommend it to a new smoker though.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I first started my pipe smoking pleasure over 30+ years ago with black cavendish pipe tobacco. I am sure I haven't sampled them all, but I've smoked many (25 years ago Flying Dutchman had a black cavendish that I enjoyed, but I haven't seen nor heard of it since). Perhaps that I've gravitated toward tobaccos with a more flavorful, tobacco taste, Smoker's Pride doesn't do it for me. It feels like I'm smoking hot air - very flat in taste; except for the chemical aftertaste which is a bit acrid.

On the plus side, it loads well (albeit a bit sticky - even after months in the cellar), and doesn't produce any bite to speak of. It has a tendency to gurgle in the pipe which necessitates the use of several pipe cleaners. Takes anywhere from 3-4 matches to get it going and for me, requires some relighting along the way. The most positive thing going for it is its pouch aroma (vanilla) and room note; although I can't discern the room note while I'm smoking the blend. Unless you light this up in the middle of an anti-smoking league convention, you're likely not to get thrown out. But after all of the time devoted to pipes and tobacco, when I smoke, I do it for me, not for those around me. If I am smoking a blend that I feel would upset the delicate balance of a non-smoker's sense of smell, I respect that and I go off and smoke by my lonesome.

Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is great for the beginner or novice smoker to get their feet wet, but if I desire an aromatic, I need something I can taste as well as smell. I do keep some around, and over the past year or so may have had a half dozen smokes of this. Definitely not a rotation smoke, not even a third string pick; a smoke-it-on-a-whim for me. For these reasons, I can only rate it 2 stars out of 4.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like straight black Cavendish blends, and you are on a tight budget, this is surprisingly good. Mild, sweet, and not particularly wet in the pipe. This would also make a fine beginner's smoke, as it is biteless. It leaves a mildly unpleasant aftertaste to me, and I won't buy more, but I have definitely had worse.