A traditional blend of Burley tobaccos made in Kentucky.

Notes: This blend is currently produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane, LTD

Taste

2.6
Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (8)

Sir Walter Raleigh (SWR) is my go to tobacco, and I guess I smoke at least three bowls of it per day in my trusty Falcon or a cob. Why? Cuz I prefer burley blends, I can walk right down the road to my local grocery store an pick up a pouch or about $5USD, and it is pleasantly simple smoke.

It's been around since 1927 for good reason - it's a good burley blend. If you're a Latakia or Lakelands fiend then you're probably not gonna like it cuz it will be way too tame for you. If you fancy yourself a discriminating pipe smoker and only go for expensive tinned blends, then you won't like it cuz it's not pedigreed enough. But if all you want is an honest bowl of tobacco, then I think you might just like it.

When you open the pouch, you'll be greeted by a kind of funky cut of tobacco. It's oft described as looking like granola, and I think that is an apt enough description. Your nose will be greeted with a hint of chocolate, but that's just the burley tobaccos used in the blend. When you light up, you'll be greeted with a nutty, chocolate flavor - again, that's just the burley. There is a slight sour note to it, and also anise and molasis well, that's what I get)... that's the flavoring, which is applied with a very light hand. The room note is, well, pipe-like.

Sir Walter Raleigh is an old school American burley blend, or OTC. It is not complicated. Just scoop your pipe in the pouch, fill, tamp, char, tamp again, and then light. Do not puff on it light a freight train when lighting, because that will cause it to taste acrid for a few seconds. Just softly puff when lighting, then sip on it the rest of the time. Also, don't strain to find the flavor - let it come to you. OTC's were blended to just casually enjoy without embarking on a nuance trek. If you just let the flavor come on it's own, you will be rewarded with the flavor previously described.

To me, a pipe is meant to be savored and enjoyed. I want nothing more than just a relaxing bowl of tobacco. No nuance, no explosion of flavors, and no epiphany causing journey - just a nice smoke. For me, SWR delivers the goods. If all you want is just an honest bowl of burley, then there are few blends that can beat it.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Having tried several "classic" dime-store blends over the years, SWR is one of the best, middle-of-the-road Burley blends available. You can never go wrong picking up a pouch of this. SWR is a great all-day smoke with no bite, and pleasing room note. Slightly nutty and sweet, the actual tobacco flavor really shines through, which explains the longevity of this blend. SWR is basically the comfortable old slippers of pipe tobacco.

Def621 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Def621 (2)

My father-in-law is 101 years old, lives by himself and is on local bank and hospital boards. He has smoked Sir Walter Raleigh since 1933. He smokes a 14 oz. tin every two weeks, and attributes his long life and independence to the brand.

After nearly 40 years of pipe smoking, I finally decided to try this blend. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs was hard to break. I like the slightly nutty, very slight chocolate taste, more than I had expected. By the time I finished the first pouch, I found I liked it more each time I smoked a bowl. It burns evenly, doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, with a pleasing sweetness and aftertaste. It goes well with any drink you choose. It will never be more than a change of pace smoke for me, but sometimes I need a break from heavier, fuller blends. This is a good choice for that. Don't expect more than it's meant to be, and you will enjoy it.

Edit: Recently, I had the opportunity to smoke SWR made in the 1940s, '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s. I was struck by the fact that only in the 1940s version was there a difference in taste. Even then, the difference was only that the '40s sample was just a little deeper in flavor. I find it amazing how consistent the taste is from World War Two until now.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I was stuck in the bayous of southern Louisiana last year for 5 months. The availability of pipe tobacco was meager to say the least. I did run into a canister of SWR and although I smoke mainly Va/Pers and straight Virginias, I went with it. I'm glad that I did. Tasty, no bite, soothing and satisfying. I smoked this exclusively for many weeks and never tired of it. I'm home now with access to any blend that I may want but when others aren't doing it for me, Sir Walter Raleigh never lets me down. I often run into problems with consistency with other blends but not with SWR. It's not just a great old codger OTC blend but just a great tobacco PERIOD!

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the can

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

SWR

Presentation is crimped cut - what I refer to as "OTC cut": somewhere between a true cube-cut and a ribbon. Pouch note is nearly imperceptible with a very slight hint of aniseed.

Like all OTCs, Sir Walter takes a light well. There's barely a need for charring followed by a "true" light: just strike a match, light, and smoke.  Sir Walter, like most OTCs, burns fast. But it doesn't burn hot.

The initial draws reveal more aniseed flavor along with a slightly tangy, sour taste reminiscent of Carter Hall but milder. The initial spike up in flavor dissipates quickly however, and the first third of the bowl is a very mild smoke.

I don't get the soft cocoa burley flavors that one might expect from something like Mac Baren's Burley London Blend. But by mid-bowl there's a hint of dark chocolate that becomes more prominent by the final third. There's a typical OTC topping here, but it's applied with a very gentle hand. The aniseed flavoring is similar to that of Half and Half in some slight regard, but far less intense and without the candied Christmas fruit flavors. The aniseed is always there, but it's a background player. Sir Walter has an ashiness to it but, interestingly, that aspect is not altogether unpleasant. By the bottom of the bowl, there is a distinct salted nuttiness (rather than the sweet nuttiness typically associated with burley) that may be the result of most of the flavoring agent had burned off.

Overall this is a very uncomplicated blend, though not entirely one-dimensional. While not one I would stockpile, I certainly enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to pick it up at the drugstore in a pinch.

I appreciated the burning characteristics of this blend: it was relatively light on propylene glycol and fairly dry in the pouch. It took a match well and burned all the way through with only one relight. The flavorings are very mild, and the room note is the stereotype of "Grandpa's pipe", which Mrs Perique enjoyed. I would recommend this blend for a new pipesmoker looking for an easy-to-smoke, non-aromatic blend, and for an experienced pipesmoker looking for an easy, daytime, yard-work type of blend. This also might be a good choice for cigarette smokers looking to quit (based on burn rate, lack of bite, and ashiness). If I had to choose an OTC, Sir Walter would probably be my second choice behind Carter Hall. Those seeking tobacco nirvana will be disappointed.

J.G. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.G. (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I have smoked it as part of my tobacco rotation for the last six months, but I'm going to look for something different. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

Basics: Sir Walter Raleigh is a burley blend of pipe tobacco. It's an OTC (over the counter) blend which is widely available in the US. It has been around for a long time. Also, it's inexpensive. A 1.5 ounce sack costs about $3.50 - $5. A 14 ounce tub costs about $25-$30. The cut is a mix of cube cut and coarse cut, that resembles granola. It loads easily into a pipe by scooping it with the bowl. It sometimes needs a relight, but not often. The nicotine content is mild to medium.

Good: The taste. The basic flavor is tobacco. There is also a light nuttiness, a light sweetness, and a light toasted flavor. The casing is light and sometimes undetectable. The taste is consistent throughout the bowl.

Better: It makes a good mixer. Because it's burley, it has a mild flavor and it can take on the flavor of whatever else that it's mixed with. I have used it to stretch some of my more expensive tobaccos. I have also used it to give body to cheaper tobaccos (like Smoker's Pride blends, when my sweet tooth craves an aromatic). I have blended it in 1:1 or 1:2 and 1:3 ratios.

Bad: The humectant in it sometimes leaves a soapy or slimy aftertaste in my mouth. Also, it is a simple blend; and I find that I'm getting bored with it.

Conclusion: I give Sir Walter Raleigh 2 stars out 4. Again, it's not bad, and it can be useful as a mixer, but it's not great either.

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

On a recent trip to the US I decided to try some of the typical "drugstore" tobaccos. I bought a 14 oz. tin of SWR. Upon popping the top I found the tobacco to be too moist to smoke, much in contrast to what others have stated about it being too dry. So I left the tin open for a few days, till the tobacco felt about right. The tobacco is cube cut, dark mocca brown to black in color. The tin note is one of subtle nuttiness.

This tobacco packs well due to the cut, lights well, and stays lit throughout the bowl. The taste is less pronounced than that of PA, which surprised me a bit. I detect a slight hint of licorice under the typical burley nutty flavor. This tobacco smokes cool right down to the bottom of the bowl, leaving no dottle.

I don't like this as much as PA, but it's definitely better than Carter Hall. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a mild, straightforward smoke.

Revised review: I have smoked about half of the 14 oz. tin, and I must say that my original review was a bit too positive. Other than a RARE hint of typical burley nuttiness, SWR is rather bland. I am currently using it as a filler to stretch more expensive and flavorful tobaccos. SWR is well suited to this purpose, as it seems to take on the aroma of the better tobacco.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

Great OTC Burley experience. Good balanced nuttiness all the way through. Perhaps my smoking style, but my old favorite Carter Hall tends to go into a burning overdrive mid bowl, and dottle at the end. This matches my rhythm and burns perfectly. The coarse cubes are granola like as others mention. All pouches I've sampled have been perfect moisture for smoking right away and the cut has been consistent. I detect minimal flavoring or additives. I am left with a fine ash. I don't know any other tobacco I've encountered that has great flavor and smoking characteristics at this price point. I feel like I tried every burley out there, but wondering how I missed trying this great one. 4 stars

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (33)

The pouch proclaims that Sir Walter Raleigh is "a classic burley smoking tobacco savored by pipe tobacco smokers for 75 years." It has said that for years. SWR has been around since 1927. The heading still identifies this as a product of Brown & Williamson, but it has been produced by Lane Ltd. for a long time, Lane Ltd. now being a subsidiary of the Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

This indeed is a classic burley blend, an over the counter offering that is comparatively cheap and, aside from those pipe smokers who just don't like burley, a pleasant but not complex smoke. SWR is one of those tobaccos that has a good many fans who smoke it exclusively. I knew one multimillionaire in that category.

The cut is a sort of chopped ribbon, fairly fine. It lights easily and stays lit. The taste is burley plus some licorice or anise and has a notable sweetness, probably from sugar water. Lurking somewhere in there is a faint fruity note (apple?). The Lane pouch identifies SWR as a "mildly aromatic blend." I would rate it as semi-aromatic myself. The taste is mild. Unless you puff with extreme vigor there is no bite.

The room note is more natural tobacco than aromatic. Unlike the taste, which is mild, the room note is fairly strong, although not unpleasant.

SWR when smoked in a large pipe can exhibit the burley curse, tending to go bitter toward the bottom of the bowl. What I do is break out one of my small bowled Dr. Grabow pipes, and with the small bowl I do not experience a bitter ending. (I do not use a filter with a Dr. Grabow.)

I am giving SWR the two star "somewhat recommended" rating, but for those who smoke burley or burley forward blends exclusively or primarily I would add another star.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)

Shame on you aromatic blends for making us forget what straightforward good ol' fashioned pipe tobacco taste like. I've seen it written in a review or two on other sites, that SWR is too often forgotten when it comes to OTC blends. That's unfortunate because this has a lot to offer. This blend, however, is not one to be rushed. So pack well and take it slow. Don't expect fireworks, just pipe smoking the way it use to be. SWR Regular has a nice cocoa note, maybe a hint of brown sugar fused with a delightful nutiness. There is a slight saltiness, but this keeps the smoke in check and well balanced. A non-aromatic that behaves like an aromatic (with only a hint of Virginia). Doesn't need that much attention, just the occasional tamper or two. Don't dismiss SWR Regular. It takes a little getting use to, but every time you'll find something new to brag to your fellow pipers about. Works well in a cob or briar. A new and permanent addition to my rotation.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking SWR for almost 50 years it's time for a review. It's a solid old time burley with some flavorings added probably some chocolate and some other secrets. It was the first pipe tobacco that I ever smoked. At age 14 I snuck out behind the shed with my dad's cob pipe and an old dried out pouch of SWR. I fell in love. I got bold enough a couple of times to fill the pipe and puff and read a book. Nirvana! Eventually got caught and had to return the goods and few years later in college seriously got pipe tobacco happy. Funny, always had a pouch or can of this and burned a few bowls every week. Even when I was smoking some of those other effete blends from North Carolina, Chicago and Denmark. Always had some this each week. Why? It's just a smooth straight burley with that nuttiness that is just right and unique. One of my favorite SWR stories (and there are many) is when I walked into David Barnes shop puffing on my pipe when a couple were shopping for pipes and tobacco. The lady looked over at me and asked what delightful blend I was smoking. I told her and David frowned cause he didn't carry SWR. Anyway, throw some of this in your cob, briar or meerschaum. It's just good smokin'.

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (4)

A nice burley blend ,nutty with a sweet taste ,it burns cool and doesnt bite.Smoke's great in a corncob!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

The general consensus around here seems to be that this is not such a bad tobacco, but it is perhaps not quite up to the standard of its historic competitor in the Anglo-named American Burley department--the venerable Prince Albert. I concur.

I've been smoking the Prince and the Sir for the last few days and find the Prince's flavors brighter, the burn cleaner, the tobacco less apt to bite and get bitter. SWR has a top-dressing from the roasted or charred spectrum--coffee, chocolate, rum, something like that. Whatever it is, it makes a gentle companion to the essentially nutty Burley that forms the backbone of the blend.

Don't get me wrong...I think SWR is a decent blend, especially for the price. Then again, I'm more than willing to pay the premiums needed to acquire better Burleys from the likes of Wessex, Solani, or C&D. So smoke it if ya' gotta.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (22)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

My grandfather smoked this, and it smelled so good. It was part of the pure magic of visiting his house.

I have tried several pouches over the years and always regretted it. Tongue bite, chemical aftertaste, and a ruined pipe were the result every time.

I guess sometimes childhood memories should just be left alone, without an attempt to revisit them.

This is one of those tobaccos I have smoked and have open. I am not sure why I never reviewed it. It is an unassuming basic burley and does not get a lot of love on TR. I find it satisfying and a solid blend. In an OTC, I like this more than PA. Locally, SWR is more expensive than CH, and if they are both in stock and I am picking up a pouch for the truck, I am more likely to get the CH.

It is slightly sweet and delivers a mild burley smoke. It has a granola cut and always seems a little dry in the pouch. I have never tried hydrating it, and have just smoked it as delivered. It is slightly nutty and tastes slightly toasted. The sweet is more of a molasses and not honey.

It is easy for me to recommend. If you like burley, you will like this.

Mark Andrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Andrew (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Initially I was scared off from trying SWR, because all the negative reviews I read. From what I gather, folks either love it or hate it. I am one who loves it! However, when I smoked the first bowl I was kinda put off by the room note and taste because up until that point my palate was accustomed to sweeter blends like Middleton's Cherry Blend, SWRA and Carter Hall (as my first non-aromatic). I loved Carter Hall, but I was left wanting something more. SWR definitely has a more distinct flavor apart from other OTCs, so my palate didn't know what to think the first time around. After a few more bowls, I was hooked! SWR is a simple, straight forward burley and if you hope for this grand tobacco experience then you will be let down. I am a guy who appreciates the simple things, so when it comes to this blend I find it satisfying as a cheap, accessible OTC pipe tobacco. I am sure that there are many more blends out there that are way more complex, but if you accept the blend for what it is, you will enjoy it.

UPDATE 10/15/14

How else can I say it!? SWR is the only OTC that is worth your time and money. Since my last review, I've become a Latakia convert and I've really enjoyed C&D's Billy Bud and Pirate Kake. With that said, I wanted to go back and try some OTCs I started with. Prince Albert just disgusts me now. It burns way too hot and fast, and leaves those nasty metallic/chemical nuances on your palate. Carter Hall is okay, but again: metallic/chemical taste, burns hot, etc.

I went back to SWR to see if that would also disappoint, and I am happy to say it didn't! Obviously it is a completely different smoke than the Latakia-heavy blends I mentioned above, but in my humble opinion, it still holds it's own. It has a good nutty burley taste, cool/slow burn, and doesn't leave you with those disgusting aftertastes like it's "rivals" (even though there really is no comparison).

To all you Latakia/English blend snobs: Don't write off Sir Walter just yet! He's an oldie AND a goodie!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentlemen, MM Legend, MM Ozark Hardwood

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 3-4 weeks old

Purchased From: Local tobacco shop, smokingpipes.com

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (8)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I saw several reviews recommending SRW so i thought that I would give it a shot in hopes that it would be better than Captain Black. Long story short, it wasnt. I ended up blending this tobacco into my better tobacco to stretch the good stuff a little further. Dry out of the pouch, and not very flavorful.

Pipe Used: MM

Purchased From: Local gas station

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (40)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has got to be one of my favorite tobaccos, not just of the OTC tobaccos. The smell out of the pouch is of chocolate and (strangely) marinara sauce. Kind of like the "McClelland ketchup" only a little more savory. The flavor is very pleasant, ranging from a almond nuttiness to a tomato soup with potatoes. That is one of the things that makes it stand out from other OTC blends, the fact that the flavor is not as simple and demands a little more interest. I can definitely see why this is always out of stock in my local stores and maybe I'll become a part of that issue!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

bostonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bostonsmoker (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch says its aromatic but its just straight tobacco with no casing. From the pouch it was bone dry so i had to revive it over night. It has an earthy taste and a slightly sweet aroma but not pleasing to everyone. I personally like this blend as an afternoon smoke. I prefer Carter Hall over this blend any day however.

mjcruiser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mjcruiser (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I first tried SWR in a Peterson 69 and my experience was like some others where it started out very good but went downhill midway through. I also noticed that about midway through SWR started to burn very hot as well. I later tried SWR in a prince style pipe and the smoke was very good from start to finish running much cooler, so it seems to me that a pipe with a lower chamber hight to width ratio does much better with SWR. SWR is a very pleasant smoke with a mild sweetness and nuttiness that is consistent from start to finish in the right pipe. There was also a hint of sourness as well that complimented the sweetness. If smoked too hot the sourness became more dominant. SWR is not a complex bacci, but there are times I don't want something complex and SWR hits the mark there for me. Very mild, consistent, and does not want bite even when it burns hot. I like it.

SWR is a good OTC tobacco. Much has been said about it, so I will be brief.

I was slightly put off, at first, by the light vinegar smell but that did not prevent me from trying it.

I only smoked it in Cob.

A good, nutty, straight BU tobacco. I am rebuying some of it.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Hello guys so todays review is an american classic sir walter raleigh

Opening the pouch the cut reminded me of another classic otc available in england..condor and the aromas make me think it is laced with alcohol particularly mulled wine Fed into my cob it packs very well And smoking it tastes not to dissimilar to carter hall a good nutty chocolately burley that i could smoke all day long It is a beautiful smoke and just a good honest bowl of tobacco which leads me to wonder why it isnt imported to england but ce la vie

Highly recommended for anyone looking for something straight foreward and simple I can see why it has such a loyal following

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

SWR gravity fed into a cob is one of life's simple pleasures. Starts off slightly sweet kind of chocolaty. The sweetness burns off pretty quick and it turns into a pretty good mild straight burley smoke.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Probably the best Drug Store blend i have tried from the United States.CH,PA and Granger are all top smokes in my humble opinion but SWR is a cut above with the exception of Sugar Barrel which i would place on the same level. A great pity its not available here in Australia as its become a firm favourite.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (12)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I now know why my Grandfather smoked SWR his whole adult life. This is just a damn good, yet simple burly blend. SWR smokes clean, dry and without any bite. Yes it's a tad sweet but it burns off quickly and your off to burly land. I like my burlies BLB, Age Burly Flake just to name a few. But for the $$ SWR cant be beat IMHO. I've been smoking out of a 14oz tin for the past week and have enjoyed every bowl that I packed. So if you like burly like I do dont turn your nose up the next time your at the drug store or the local pump-and-munch and see SWR sitting on the self like some kind of Red-Headed Step-Child. Pick up a pouch or a tin and just sit back & relax. This is just a good unpretentious no-brainer tobacco that has stood the test of time.

Your Brother In Smoke

5/5

athurber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
athurber (1)

When I first opened a pouch of this stuff I had thought I received a dried-out, bad batch. When I went online to see other reviews talk about the cut of the tobacco I just said alright and went with it. Very interesting granola-like cut that feels and seems like it would be too dry to do anything with. Very wrong!

This has now become my absolute favorite OTC pipe tobacco! And here's why: Easy to pack (I use the scoop and pack method on this stuff.) Nice nutty/sweet flavor The aroma is pleasant, sweet, and reminds me of fresh baked cookies. This is also a crowd-pleaser because of this aroma. Creates a lot of smoke (which I like.) It burns all the way down to a nice grey ash with just one light. It's just a plain old good tasting, good smelling, good burning tobacco.

I don't go through too much tobacco. I've been at this for a little over a year and have collected many quality blends and have yet to actually finish an entire tin/pouch of tobacco (I smoke maybe 1-2 bowls per week) but I've been smoking SWR every morning on my way to work so far to keep my cold hands warm and I absolutely love the stuff. The cut makes it such an easy tobacco when I'm on the go because I can simply scoop a pipe into the pouch, tamp a little bit, scoop again and tamp just slightly harder and be set.

Highly recommend this.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

In the OTC category of tobaccos I always preferred Prince Albert to the others such as Carter Hall and Half&Half. Thats all changed now that I've smoked Sir Walter Raleigh.

I've always seen Sir Walter on the shelf next to the others but never bothered to try it. The package looked outdated and in my neck of the woods, didn't seem to have the same pedigree as Prince Albert. I finally decided to stop judging a book by it cover and bought a pouch.

Holy hell I'm glad I did!!! I like Prince Albert. I LOVE Sir Walter Raleigh! Its very similar to PA but slightly sweeter and nuttier. Not a fake sweetness mind you, but its definitely noticeable. Its extremely dry in the pouch and has the feel of crunchy granola, but it didnt seem to affect anything and burned well in the bowel.

This isn't going to replace any of my tinned tobaccos anytime soon. Nor will I be smoking this with any regularity. But I will be keeping a pouch in truck as a "stuck in traffic" smoke or when the mood strikes while I'm working in the yard and want to puff on something.

RipePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RipePipe (2)

It is the standard pipe tobacco but when you smoke it you do not feel cheap. A sweetness that keeps you smoking and a somewhat pleasant room note. if you need a cheap tobacco, this is the exception. This is a pipe tobacco that is always reliable.

Calam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calam (5)

For all the OTC's I've tried, this is my favorite. It's a very simple, pleasant tobacco taste--nothing complicated. Some people find it boring, but most of the time I find the simplicity comforting. It's the 'go to' when I don't really know what I want. It's mildly sweet and nutty, and doesn't leave that ashy taste or smell that Carter Hall does. It's just good plain tobacco.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)

This is burley tobacco with a light casing of some kind of general sweetness. Pouch smells nutty and maybe some chocolate notes, but very subtle. The room note is good and the blend goes great with morning coffee. It is also good to bring a pipe back to neutral after smoking aromatics or heavy latakia blends in it.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)

Why as it taken me so long to try this tobacco, i have put it of for yrs thinking because it was a over the counter blend it would be poor,How wrong can one be, this will be in my rotation from now on, great all day smoke at a very good price 14oz tin and im ordering more right now, 5= from me.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

SWR:

Aroma in bag: Not bad, nutty/coffee. Super bone dry, despite the cello-wrapped pouch. Loaded easily into my Peterson blast bulldog.

Lit up fast, copious clouds of smoke, burned fast, possibly due to dryness.

Cool, creamy, nutty, no bite. Stayed lit, stayed dry. Would be perfect for the beginner, or in a cob.

Not as cased as PA, not as flowery as Kentucky Club Mild. Not as monochromatic as Granger, not as boring as Carter Hall. Doesn't bite like a steel trap, as does MacBaren London Burley. Doesn't kick like a mule, as does Old Joe Krantz.

I'm hesitant to give this blend a full four stars, but a STRONG three stars for this tasty, smooth, nutty blend.

Oh, heck. I'll give it a fourth star for the low price. Get yourself some.

PremiumAlexander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PremiumAlexander (1)

In the few 2-3 years that I have been a fan of most tobacco products, such as cigarettes and chews, pipe smoking is my most favorite, and since I have not been a pipe smoker for very long, I can't give much of a professional input, but I can say, if you are in an area of knowledge like me, this pipe tobacco has a slightly heavier than mild strength it gives off to the senses, from flavoring to the smell. Out of all the tobaccos I have tasted over the few years from cigarettes to chews, this one is definitely the most pleasant I have had.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I really like this tobacco. When I picked it up I expected this to be another chapter in the book of Uncle Sam's, good old american pie hard workin' blue collar tobacco blends. Blends like Carter Hall, Velvet, and Prince Albert are all blends in this category. In the end they are good no nonsense blends but nothing to really get excited about.

Surprisingly Sir Walter Raleigh got me excited. There is a topping here, I think it is licorice/Anise. Whatever it is it is very subtle on the smoke. Its almost like the pipe you are using has been used to smoke licorice blends for years. Its just in the background, and has just enough presence to keep me interested. I find myself chasing that taste, and every once in a while it will really come through and scratch that proverbial itch, then it is gone again.

This is a usual burley blend. It has a nice nutty taste and it pairs beautifully with coffee.

The cut of this tobacco perplexes me. It reminds me of mulch, or that gunpowder green tea, or those rocks you put in the bottom of a fish tank. There are some small tobacco "pellets" that are hard to break up and kinda make this blend an annoying one to pack. I think this may affect the burn too as sometimes this stuff needs the gentle reminder of a lit match.

If you really want this blend to shine devote a pipe to it, even just a cob. The flavors develop when the tobacco has its own natural habitat.

Good stuff, highly recommended.

vandiabolus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vandiabolus (7)

A pouch of this should be handed out to anyone who wants to take up pipe smoking. It is as gentle, reliable and predictable as can be. I honestly feel like an idiot for having tried so many others before finally finding that the oldies have survived the test of time for a reason. I thought that tongue bite was absolutely normal and even expected it. I gave up on smoking 8 years ago because a friend of mine turned me on to the soupy goopy junk they sell on shelves right next to this stuff. Passing it by, because anything this inexpensive couldn't be any good. Right? Again, I honestly thought that in order to smoke a pipe I had to settle with having my tongue feel like I'd been licking batteries all day. Thankfully I didn't let my naivety get the better of me for good. I pressed on with it, testing one blend after another. Not entirely sure what I was looking for, but I'm happy I landed here. And luckily for someone like me, who can get bored easily, there are many many more out there to continue sampling. But what I've found here with Sir Walter Raleigh is the comfort of knowing that a delicious, easy basic smoke is never out of reach.

Ichbinmuede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ichbinmuede (4)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well when I got this tobacco I wasn't expecting much. I was expecting to bring a smile to a lady-friend's face because her grandfather smoked it. I did do that but I also found a good friend.

Maybe I'm just an easy dude to please but I can honestly say that I love this tobacco. Nice and mild, tasty, easy to pack, and a pleasure to smoke. A perfect thing for the morning, noon, or night and just the sort of thing I like to have while I sit and ruminate, read, or work.

Like a good dog this one will never bite you and will gladly keep you company. I would recommend this to everyone.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

"Comes meus fuit illo miserrimo tempo"... Or in my native English "It was my companion at that most miserable time." This is what my tobacco was to me.

'Twas many years after my escapades in the Americas, what I hath considered to be the prime of mine own life, that I was sitting in my prison tower, awaiting execution. It wasn't the first time I had been in prison. My first imprisonment came shortly after I broke off my relations with Queen Elizabeth for one of her hand maidens. This enraged the Queen, my backing out of our love affair. I wanted someone new, young and fresh. In the end, I spent the fair Queen for all she was worth in the Bedroom; the woman was experienced, I shall commend her to that. Quite naughty was our affair; many times she wouldsts pleasure me in most the inopportune of places, such as at the royal Banquets. Often during those banquets she would commence to pleasure me beneath the dinner table by giving to me a handeth jobbeth amidst the meal and conversation. The Queen's methods were quite clever in nature, often she would take a pat of butter or grease from a turkey leg in place of lubricant in order to "do her Majesty's work". I would maintain my composure through out, not a one at the dinner parties wouldst be aware of what was occurring beneath the tablecloth, for even at my moment of climax, my face was as solemn as a sailor. She took thrill in the possibility of being caught. Many times I wouldst receive a reacheth aroundeth, or she wouldst ride me as if I were a noble steed. But however pleasurable she may have been, nothing could make up for that foul face which she bore. And her hand maiden was privy to all the same tricks as the Queen, and more refined and well developed tricks of a younger generation. I shouldst mention also that the youth of the bonny lass contributed to the dexterity of her hands and fingers. She was also able to rolleth her tongue. Consequently the Queen, in a Jealous rage, threw us into prison. We stayed there until the Queen needed me to embark on expeditions to the Americas. This only gave me more free time to explore the maiden's "Golden City."

That 'twas the first time. On this second occasion I am accused of espionage, which may or may not be truth. As I sat there I sought back in mine own mind to the prime days. Days when I explored for the city of Gold, and found only jungle and women whom wouldst pleasure me to the extent of which I felt as if I had turned to gold! I think back to the disaster days of Roanoke, that glorious debacle. I lighteth my pipe of tobacco one last time, to enjoy my old friend before death is dealt my way.

I take my last puff of smoke as the guards come take me away to have my head severed. No matter, I hath shared a bed with more women that one couldst count; my life 'tis complete. I am guided to the city square where many hath gathered to watch the Great Sir Walter Raleigh be executed. I look into the executioners eyes as I kneel down before the chopping block. I request to see the blade that will take my life. 'Twas a good blade, indeed. To the executioner I say "Let us dispatch, At this hour my ague comes upon me. I would not have my enemies think I quaked from fear" I lay my head on the block, ready for the death dealing blow of the ax, as I cry out "STRIKE MAN, STRIKE, as I did to thine mother last night!" In blind rage, executioner swings his axe. Darkness.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

A delightfully buxom young lady in a newspaper/candy store gave me a packet of this?and a lovely smile, too?out of sheer gratitude that I was purchasing, for next to nothing, a gorgeous silver-mounted Ardor obviously left over from some previous owner's time. Because I am A PERFECT GENTLEMAN, I graciously accepted it, and even sampled it, though certainly not in my spanking new-old Ardor!

An old piece of Americana, mentioned in literary works of distinction, this is straight, completely undistinguished, sour-mouthed drugstore burley, as dull as grass. And I don't mean THAT grass. I mean the kind that makes cows moo.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (60)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very simple smoke. If you like mild on mild then this is it. Tobacco flavor that burley gives is soft cocoa, a little grassy note here and there and nuttiness all tide into a light topping that has a little sweetness an anise flavoring. It does bite but for me I have noticed that the milder blends typically do that. Big burley blends don't so much but the milder side does. Maybe I push too hard to find the flavor but bite it will. Still not the worst smoke in the world. It is great for just smoking when not wanting to focus on finer nuances of a blend I love. Others don't seem to mind the room note as much as my other blends too. If I were to ever fall on hard times this would be 1 blend that I would come back to.

Pipe Used: cob

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This may be the worst tobacco I have ever tried to smoke. The tobacco was bone-dry in the pouch, and crackled like a bonfire when I lit it. It bit so bad that it felt like someone had scraped my tongue with sandpaper. All I could taste was chemicals (battery acid), and a cigarette-ish tobacco after-taste. The aroma was of stale baked goods.

I was not even able to finish the bowl. Do yourself a favor. Buy something else.....

Pipe Used: Missouri Meershaum 5th Ave. Legend bent

Age When Smoked: 55

Purchased From: Bi-Lo

Similar Blends: Battery Acid and Marlboro.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (12)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I enjoyed this blend off and on for some twenty years. It always provided a nice nutty, earthy, and in some cases a slightly musty taste (depending on the package or tin). At times there were coffee undertones; others times presented hints of molasses. There was always a rich burley taste. It even responded well when I would mix a tad of perique into the blend. This is, sadly, no longer the case.

For the past two or three years I have had more disappointment than pleasure from my purchases. On occasion I would run into some old packages that (mostly) provided past expectations, and I had a couple of tins that were still the old cut (some cube cut among the other shreds) and flavors. Now they are gone and all I can find is what is, I suppose, currently being produced.

My ratings above reflect the current production. The stuff I can get now resembles what I used to get only in the packaging. Perhaps I have been extremely unlucky, but now it is bland, tasteless, and no longer responds to the addition of perique--very disappointing.

I used to look forward to a bowl of this every morning with a cup of coffee, but no longer. I will try a pouch on occasion to see if the new producer can find the wherewithal to return to a semblance of what was produced for the twenty some years I have been familiar with Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, but I'm not going to leave my pipe cold expecting it. Then again, I have been surprised before.

One star for the new production; three for the old (if you can find it).

Pipe Used: Cobs and various briars

Age When Smoked: Off the shelf

Purchased From: Various brick and mortar shops

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

It took some getting used to. When I try an OTC, I usually expect unnaturally moist tobacco and this was bone dry. I thought perhaps the pouch had sat on the shelf for a couple of decades. Though I find most tobaccos to have a pleasant room note, this one was kind of musty. I blended it with some other burleys I had sitting around and found that the blend seemed better than the sum of its parts. After a little time with it, I became a believer. I still use it to blend but I enjoy it alone too. It's a mild, consistent burley. When compared to other straight burley OTCs, I think it rises above the rest.

GeorgeOH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeorgeOH (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a terrific blend. It transcends the mundane category of OTC. Though thinner (less rich) than the McClelland Virginias I put at the top of the heap, Sir Walter Raleigh is pleasant and satisfying all the way around. Let me throw in the word "yummy."

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 65

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

BigChairPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigChairPuffer (11)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A cheap smoke which borders on cigarette tobacco. A good amount of nicotine but not much else to offer. A bit of tongue bite to boot...

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a pretty good OTC burley and I recommend it as such, but it is not a Solani ABF or anything of that caliber. As for the OTC burleys, I prefer Carter Hall (which has a little Virginia), but I prefer this to Prince Albert or even Five Brothers. Although Five Brothers certainly has its own redeeming values as well.

I only smoked a pouch of this. From that I enjoyed a mild and forgiving smoke, like many of its contemporaries it is really magical in a cob pipe, but I enjoyed it in my briars as well. If I had to split hairs for a certain nitpick with this one, it would be that it seems more dottle makes its way up the stem than I am used to with other blends. This is really minor, but I thought I would point it out. As it tended to plug up some of my filtered briars, which was a slight PIA while smoking.

Otherwise a good solid burley.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is going to be short and sweet. It's similar to, but not quite as good as, Capt. Black regular. Causes tongue bite rather easily. I don't know that it needs more of a description than that. For the same price, get CB, Prince Albert or Carter Hall.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

Yup, a burley. A good easy smoke, I can see why it is a classic. It was very light tasting, the greenish (as in plants) burley taste was there and it was a bit sweet on the draw. It burned well in my bowl but I was interrupted. My wife, who tolerates my Latikias and likes a good aromatic, well she usually just leaves the porch when she doesn't like what I am smoking, this time she was across the house and came and shut the windows and said it smelled like cigarette smoke and that I need to stop smoking it now. Wow, that was a reaction. Even my daughter who likes the Latikias hated it. Two stars because it smokes easy, but only two since the house committee has said no sir to the Sir at our home.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Great as a mixer with other drugstore blends. No bite.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Are you like me and wish that the flavor you smell really was the flavor you tasted? Or perhaps, the aroma would be intact and the taste would be from a natural tobacco you love? Yeah...wake up right? This is a classic burley blend and you pretty much hate it or love it, I think. I hate it. Sorry, just do. It does smoke well though, with lots of smoke, for those who love this type of baccy that would definitely be a boon.

Smoke in peace, my brothers and sister of the leaf.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

It's OK, but better options abound. I prefer any of the MacBaren or Cornell & Diehl burleys.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)

This tobacco is the elephant in the room. Everyone looks over it because it's a drugstore blend but most who deride it have never actually tried it. I know, because I was one of them.

Sir Walter was the ONLY tobacco smoked by a dear friend for over 25 years. I always liked the room note but never tried a bowl from his ever present tin in his office. I spent those 25 years smoking 1 tin after another in the quest for the next great tobacco. He just continued to savor his pipe day after day after year and always seemed content.

SWR Smells like a rich chocolate liqueur from the pouch or tin. It seems a little too dry, but it packs and smokes really well. Further, if it is a bit dry verses other drug store blends, then you just get more tobacco and less water per pound so that's another plus.

The taste is very smooth. The chocolate is present with a sort of raisen back flavor. Smokes nicely down with rarely a relight and so far, never a bite. I quit whenever it goes out after I'm past 1/2 bowl. Usually about 1/8th bowl left unsmoked dottle. It just keeps smoking nicely with a rich cloud of smoke and a very pleasant aroma. I wish I had tried this many years ago. I have wasted a lot of time and effort on higher cost, lesser flavor tobaccos. I certainly endores SWR Regular.

Karl Childers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karl Childers (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I like OTC blends, but this one is unsmokable. Literally. It won't burn. I try this tobacco about once every decade and it's always the same. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't have this problem with anything else. After about 40 relights,there is some grey ash, but it's surrounded by black bits that haven't ignited, and the taste becomes a bit nasty, like smoking a cigar butt in your pipe. This has an incredibly bland taste at first, so much so that I can taste the pipe itself more than the tobacco. I don't think I will even use this for cutting too-aromatic blends, as you can do with PA and some others. In short, I'm just gonna toss it. Again.

As a side note, nowhere on the pouch I have does it give the name of the manufacturer. Strange. Beneath the image of Walt it does say "Ever Fresh," which to me means that it's loaded to the gills with propylene glycol. I have had a pouch lying wide open for about three weeks and it shows absolutely no signs of drying out. Maybe that's why it won't burn.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

All I could think about as i worked through the pouch is "why am I still smoking this". Only answer I had was "it is tobacco and I am not wasting money". At least (unlike Sail Green) I did not throw it out. Just seemed like there was nothing there for me. Not much flavor, not much nicotine, not much in the way of aroma for my wife. I can not recommend this to anyone. Sorry to those that enjoy it.

FlyFisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlyFisher (3)

Found the taste somewhat pleasing. Had minor bite, but had to puff like a freight train to keep lit. Has decent aroma. Will have to smoke a few more bowls as I think SWR has potential in my MM corn cob.

frenchdr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frenchdr (2)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

When my Uncle told me that SWR and Half & Half were my Papaw's go to blends I had to try them. Papaw got it right with SWR. The package doesn't say anything about Virginia's in this blend but I think I taste some. I like Virginia's so this is good to me and makes this a sweet, tasty (but mild) smoke. I can't really tell room note while I'm smoking and I haven't smoked this one around my wife to see what she says. I smelled my cousin smoking it outdoors once and it smelled fairly pleasant but it's hard to tell outdoors with a light breeze. I'm a new smoker so I get a mild nicotine kick from this blend. Other smokers may not. Personally I liked this blend quite a bit and at 3 bucks for a pouch I'll probably always keep some on hand. My Papaw gave up pipe smoking years ago but he was excited to see the pouch when I showed him. I would recommend this tobacco, especially to a new smoker like me. It's a good burley/Virginia tobacco. I'd like to try the aromatic version next.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is what my grandfather smoked so of course I had to try it. It behaves very well but burns quickly and is medium-low in nicotine and flavor. It is however quite pleasant and I personally enjoyed the light sweetness.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

For years I have been a tobacco snob ignoring any and all drug store tobaccos. However, SWR was cool, creamy, nutty and an absolute pleasure to smoke. In trying Sir Walter Raleigh I am forced to reevaluate my bias and conclude that some drug store blends are just darn good.

Soli Deo gloria!

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

At first I was put off by how dry this stuff was. I'd never seen anything like it--from a pouch wrapped in plastic. I thought that it may have been too old, or a bad pouch. I loaded it into one of my hardwood pipes and puffed like a man possessed. I was surprised at how long and even it burned after the first tamping. I liked the taste of it down to the bottom of the bowl. No dottle afterwords and a very easy pipe cleaning. One of my favorites.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)

This tobacco is alot like Carter Hall. It is very sweet, and has a nice room note. I just discovered it recently and gave it a try. This is a must buy for anyone who likes sweet burleys.

Phototone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phototone (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I am torn on this old blend. It is very flavorful when you first crack the lid on the can, or pop open the pouch, but it has an essence that seems to evaporate.

I have a 14 oz. tub of this, that I have had for over a year, and after about 6 months it became flavorless, truly flavorless, yet it is not really dry.

Its a peculiar thing, yet if you can smoke the whole tub while it is "fresh" it is a very tasty and satisfaying burley smoke.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't believe I waited so long to try this blend. This is a great tobacco, and comes with a long history and a great price. Upon opening the tin you find this nice burley mulch type tobacco. It does indeed remind me of brownish gun-powdered tea. It has a nice familiar burley scent and looks like yep you guessed it a great burley tobaccy.

It loads great, though I did have to re-light it in the mid-bowl each time I have smoked it. This blend has been around for ages, and now I can see why. Its a no-nonsense burley and doesn't try to be anything else. I could swear I get a sweetness every 5-6 puff though, and I keep trying to find it all the way down.

It doesn't bite, smokes down fairly clean and cleans up nicely. I will always have this on hand from now on, and honestly had put it off for so long in favor of tinned tobacco and now am kicking myself. Get SWR and enjoy!

BrotherMark09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrotherMark09 (2)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

ahhhhhh SWR. My grandfather smoked this almost all of his life. This is a great classic pipe tobacco. If you want something to introduce you to pipes this is a great tobacco to start off with. This is the stuff that beginniers should try when looking for a pipe tobacco not aromatic stuff.

This is a good classic burley tobacco. The smell right ouf the pouch is just straight up burley and while smoking it is is....burley and the room note is....burley. This tobacco is simply all about burley. But it's not to the point ever of over powering. The flavor of this tobacco is one of the reasons I love this blend. When I was just plain tobacco with an awesome room note I go to this. It makes lots of smoke too! :)

I always keep a pouch of SWR on hand in my stash and I encourage all pipe smokers to try it at some point (especially burley lovers! )

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (12)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley as burley can be. A great, venerable old weed. As is typical of straight burleys, it can get bitter on the return trip. I rather like that feature, but for those finding this troublesome, try a loose pack in a cob and slow your cadence and this effect will be minimized. Recommended.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice straightforward and easy smoking (short on matches or lighter fluid? go with this), but rather staid. It does get bitter halfway through even medium-sized pipes for me. Want something easy and relaxing in a small pipe? Try this.

(This review based on a bulk buy)

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Burley goodness, classic American. Very nice, an awesome choice for burley lovers. I can't believe it took me so long to try this little jewel, it's so delicious.

The pouch note is of nice pungent classic tobacco. First light doesn't show much, but it quickly develops a nuttiness and sweetness that I have not found in any other blend. I've been smoking this non stop since I discovered it and intend to do so for a while.

Don't listen to the negative reviews; they either don't like burley or were expecting the complexity of the tinned blends that cost an arm and a leg. If you are a tobacco snob then don't bother telling us what you think of it, we already know. If you want a nice, straight forward and enjoyable smoke and are a burley fan then give it an honest shot, it won't disappoint.

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)

What's wrong with this Tobacco? Absolutely nothing. What's right about it? Not much either. It is a fine, yet nondescript baccy. No real taste. Yet, lights well, burns well, etc. A little bland. Nothing great....nothing awful (see Borkim Riff Whiskey!) When it comes to OTC stuff, I would recommend Prince Albert over this stuff - but that is just me - some may agree some not. Still better than some bulks or other OTC I have had.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm going to give this 3 stars for being what it advertises to be - a true and mild burly. Want strength? Then you should never have bought this. That is not what its made for. For the price, its a winner if you like a mild burly that's not looking for a pretentious soul-searching experience. Its a rather uncomplicated, genuine, widely available, and affordable smoke that I don't have to pay $8.95 shipping for and wait a week to get. Also, it NEVER makes my pipe taste bitter. In fact, I use this stuff to neutralize some of the terrible after effects of some of the high-priced snooty brands I have mistakenly bought in the past.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have always liked the flavour of this tobacco,that is the firts half. The only drawback is the bitterness that develops about halfway thru the bowl. I've known a few that smoked this all their lives. True Kentucky and Tennessee Burley leaf.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Don't listen to all the people saying this is bad. It us great. Nice nuttu flavor easy to pack and burns well. Nothing fancy, but it doesn't have to be. Nice to smoke when you want something light and simple.

Redirish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redirish (4)

Here is another of the old OTC tobaccos that has been changed over the years. I first smoked it in 1955, in a Medico given to me for Christmas. It was my favorite for many years, being at that time pretty strong with lots of flavor. Now it seems to be almost the same as Prince Albert. Best taken from the tub, spread in a baking dish for 24 hours to get rid of the chemical taste. Still a good smoke.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

This is one of the easy blends to light and smoke . It's Burley w/ a very light touch of sweet . If you're a burley smoker you'll at least enjoy it .It shines in a cob with coffee ! This is'nt a super refined blend by any means and it dosent pretend to be . It has enough nic and produces plenty of smoke . If you have a pipe that draws a little tight for most other blends it will probably rock for SWR . It dosent need a lot of draw and if you spazz on it it can get bitter down the bowl a ways . I love SWR in my old Kaywoodie # 39 ... It's the blend that works for me in the morning w/ coffee like no other . I prefer it to PA though they are pretty close . SWR is'nt MacBaren golden extra ... but what is right!? I'd suggest anyone to buy a pouch and give SWR a try . Take your time and get through the pouch . It's possible that afterwards while your back to your regular blends that SWR will creep back into your mind here and there and down the road you'll see a pouch in your cellar all the time ... or not . I was an Edgeworth Junkie for years and the first time I smoked SWR I thought ... hey , another Mans blend . It smokes cool , easy , no bite and packs about as good as it can get . If ya like the flavor ... then whats not to like :]

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

A lot of reviewers here talk about the tin aroma of Sir Walter as fruity, maple, boozy, chocolate, but all I detect is Burley and licorice, I think anise or licorice liqueur has always been the topping in this blend, but I may be mistaken. Anyway that's all I get - licorice, sweetness and Burley. Pleasant and uncomplicated. Cube-ish cut packs easy and lights perfectly.

Smokes cool, the sweetness doesn't last long, the licorice fades a little slower. As the bowl progresses the flavor of the tobacco is warm and nutty. This lasts for about five minutes. Then the fleeting aromas and flavors of burning trash, used coffee grounds, soap and urinal cakes drift in and out of the Burley making any further enjoyment difficult. The smoke is mild, as are the unpleasant notes. No bite - just hard to like.

The bowl finishes with campfire notes, still some soapy taste (that seems to coat the mouth, unpleasantly). Licorice comes back near the end, but scorched and sour.

My apologies to my elders who've smoked Sir Walter Raleigh for years, but I can't recommend this tobacco to anyone. I know it's been around forever but that's no indication of quality tobacco. Cigarettes have been around forever too.

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My cobs have been working overtime lately; for some reason I decided to launch into a mini-tour of drug store blends. I'll start off by saying SWR is not a bad smoke. Compared to PA, SWR shares a bit of that burley chocolate smell in the pouch, although SWR is less sweet, more like bitter cocoa. There's also a note I can't quite put my finger on. Something like a little bit of mint? Cut green wood? I don't know. The cut of SWR is unique, very fine. PA is fine cut as well, but still retains a bit of tuftiness. SWR is just dry, chunky bits of burley kibble. Loading a bowl of this is less packing than pouring. Also unlike PA, there doesn't appear too much added in the way of humectant. The smoke is very mild and tastes almost exactly like it smells. Not a lot of flavor. People throw around the term 'all-day-smoke,' but I think this is a blend you probably actually could smoke for five hours straight and barely notice (flavor-wise, not necessarily nic-wise). If you want to really enjoy a pipe, there are better blends. If you just want to smoke, SWR is a very serviceable background kind of blend. Personally I prefer PA (between the two) and find it more satisfying in the flavor department, but there's certainly nothing wrong with SWR. Indeed I can see why some people might prefer SWR because it seems to be more additive-free. I probably won't buy another pouch unless the whim strikes me or it's the only thing available. It could be used as a blender, but even then I'd probably prefer PA, as PA just has more burley flavor and I like a little more moisture in my blenders (I keep my 'good' tobacco on the dry side). As a final note I'll observe that this was the absolute cheapest pipe tobacco available at my local smoke shop, even cheaper than the Dream Castle generic cherry-bombs (which I will not be visiting during my OTC tour :) ).

gilgawulf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gilgawulf (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Early in my pipe smoking career I purchased a pouch of this on a whim. At the time I regretted it: I had to rehydrate it, it was cut in this wierd 'cube' shape, etc. etc. Those very same things I complained about as an early pipe smoker are now the very things I've gone back to it for. The cube cut is perfect: just gravity fill to the top, press down just a little, and add a few more little 'cubes' and you're good to go. As for the dryness... maybe I'm just still pissed off about having to spend over a month drying all the propelyne glycol out of a tub of Prince Albert, but for me it seems perfect. Obviously, it's not Wessex Burley Slice or Solani Aged Burley, but I'd put it right up there with MacBaren London Burley. I don't see why it lives in Prince Albert's propelyne glycol drenched shadow: things should really be the other way around. My only complaint is that it is a little bit difficult to find in pouch form. Thankfully, the girl at my local B&M (Blue Havana, in Chicago) was kind enough to order me in a bunch of this, as well as crap-ton of Prince Albert pouches. (Now all of you Chicagoans know where to find those two in pouches.)

Thesir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thesir (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Picked this up as a cheaper tobacco to smoke with the guys while having a drink. As a newcomer to pipe smoking, it's a good blend to smoke casually. The sweetness is a bit off-putting at first but now that I'm nearing the bottom of the pouch it's a pleasant thing to come back to. It needed some airing to smoke well but there were few problems with burning out or burning too hot in a well-packed pipe. Not a bad blend to pick up if you're low on money or need something to smoke quick and enjoy on a car ride.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I wanted to like this blend because of nostalgia from 45 years ago of my dad's best friend smoking it. The first thing I noticed when I opened a pouch of SWR was the cut of the tobacco. It almost seemed as though it had been finely ground rather than cut. I suppose it was chopped so finely in order to conceal stems and twigs. It tasted exactly like Prince Albert and it had the same room note. There are better blends available at the same price (SWR aro & Carter Hall) so it couldn't be considered a good value even if it is cheap. Still, it is an honest blend with no awful additives, fillers, artificial flavorings, etc so it is worthy of 2 stars.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Straight, honest burley and nothing more. This drugstore smoke hits the spot everytime I have a taste for it, especially with the morning cup. I was very pleased with this. smoke it in a cob and enjoy the chocolaty and earthy (a little more grassy than chocolaty) notes a good burley naturally has... I can't snub this OTC blend.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Non aromatic SWR. A nice smooth, satisfying and easy to control OT American Burley tobacco. A bowl of this in a MM cob, and you're all set. As a side note, I use a half of a Dr.Grabow filter in my MM cob. This works for me. This tobacco seems to improve with some drying time, also ending the smoke before the last bit of tobacco is consumed, is my SOP when smoking OT burleys. They could lower the PC level in this blend, but all in all a very wothwhile smoke, no bite and well suited to a busy smokers life. My personal rating 4.5/5

Addendum...Some tubs need more dry/airing time than others, but properly done SWR is a first class all day smoke. Either as a blender to tame stronger mixtures or straight, I‘ve enjoyed more than a few tubs.

PipeFullof20s Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeFullof20s (1)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Having just tried this tobacco, and comparing it to other OTCs (Prince Albert, Captain Black White) I find SWR extremely lacking in pretty much everything that makes my pipe smoking experience worthwhile. The pouch note is nutty and chocolatey, typical of a Burley, but I detected no flavor, natural or additive. While I respect SWR for its longevity, I'll probably not be picking any more in the near future.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

this was my main blend back in the late '50s and early '60s--

hadn't smoked it in some time--was actually sold a tobacco that posed as SWR, but it clearly wasn't--BUT that's another story--

upon buying the real thing i discovered my old friend once more-- clean, sweet, cool burley--nothin' fancy--easy to light and keep lit--burns cleanly to the bottom of the bowl--if sipped slowly and care exercised while tamping there is no ashy taste or burley sourness--

don't try to compare it to upscale blends--just take it for what it is and enjoy yourself--an old fashioned OTC that just continues to please--

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (34)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked this once because my father liked it,I didn't like the finish, it started out as a good burley smoke but half way down turned rotten, yeah rotten that's the best word for it.Sad to say prince albert was better also the famous writer william faulkner smoked this blend, when he couldn't get his dunhill mixture

I recently purchased a 14 ounce tin of SWR regular and have to say I am quite pleased with this all Burley blend. Upon opening the tin, it was very fresh and springy, but not with excessive moisture. It was identical in appearance to ERR - both not exactly cube cut, but more like a cut plug with some short, broad leaf. The 14 ounce tin of ERR is nearly full and when placed side by side with SWR, you can't tell them apart by appearance alone. It is in the tin note where you start discerning the difference. Where ERR is chocolate-like in aroma, with perhaps a touch of the rum that is added, upon opening SWR you get the smell of slightly fermented apples. However, the taste of SWR is more chocolate and fruity-like, and stronger than ERR in taste. When you put your nose into the tin and take a deep smell, SWR smelled just like an Italian spiced rum/chocolate cake, laced with apples - very delicious. This wonderful aroma translates into the taste and remains throughout the entire smoke.

SWR was smoke-able right out of the tin. Filling and lighting were a breeze and few re-lights were required. There was a mild chemical taste after first light, but unlike ERR, this chemical taste never really interfered with the overall smoking experience (my several year-old tin of ERR still has a pronounced chemical presence). In spite of the casing's prominent flavor, I did taste good, honest, Burley leaf throughout the smoke. I personally didn't detect any bitterness with SWR. perhaps the bitterness many have described, in my opinion, is nothing more than the natural bitterness of Burley - and I mean it in a good way. Very much like the bitterness in a fine cigar, but certainly not as pronounced. It probably has to do with the addition of some Kentucky Burley. Some like it and others do not. It produced a beautiful side stream sweetness - always translating to the taste. The room note is good, old-fashioned Burley sweetness. It burned slow and even, always cool, left no dottle, and never produced a bit of moisture. It was a nicely sweet smoke and never harsh.

I can see where some have noticed its smoking similarities to ERR as it tastes similar, but I think SWR is better in every way. So far, for me, the best of the codger Burleys, and I have been an ERR fan (Larus version) for years. SWR is a bit more fuller-bodied than ERR which gives it a slightly spicier taste. According to my family, the room note of the two are not exactly the same but very similar. It is interesting in I read somewhere that Lane Ltd. (who took over the blending of ERR from Larus up until its discontinuance) was licensed to blend this tobacco for Brown & Williamson, perhaps the key to their being so similar. If this is true, I am happy they did a better job than with their own ERR. If you are looking for an affordable, every day good, solid smoke, SWR regular should satisfy. The roomnote is very "old school" sweet smelling pipe tobacco and will get you comments like, "reminds me of what my grandfather used to smoke..." Very comforting all around. The best of the codger Burleys in my opinion.

UPDATE 12-5-11: Buy a tub, open the seal and let it sit with the plastic lid on and age some. For me, after a year and a half, no chemical taste or bitterness whatsoever, and never a bite. If you like Burley, don't pass this up. A very underrated tobacco.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

Easily one of my favorites. Nice strong woody taste to this burley. Pouches tend to be a little less flavorful than the tubs. Lots of smoke and stays lit. No nasty mess in the bottom of the bowl. Best out of a cob or a clay pipe. For some reason briars tend to change it too much.

I remember the first time I tried it I thought it was too strong. It grew on me quickly and now many years later I still smoke it regularly. The folks I get it from think I'm nuts. I go in and buy a dozen tins of high dollar stuff and a couple tubs of SWR at the same time. It's not about price. It's about what you like.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another classical given me by Clarkus, that I thank. SWR is a good tobacco very easy to load and to smoke thanks to the cut (cross cut?) it has a mild flavoring and an unmistakable aroma of Burley. There is some Cavendish here (of good quality) that can somewhat remind Mc Baren style, on briars it tends to get little hot but smoked in a cob (with a bit of pressing) it improves, it doesn't bites at all and leaves a polite aftertaste. I highly recommend it to beginners and for all the others definitely worth a try.

smoke65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke65 (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

i rotate between this blend & PA. It's and reliable smoke-so you know what you're getting without any suprises. Like many OTC blends, it a manly smoke which satisfy you from start to finish. It does have a fruity smell that delights the senses. I give it my recommendation for those who are looking for reliability over some weak, metro-sexual, FOO FOO, expensive crap.

I'm not exactly happy with a two star recommendation on this one but I also don't feel comfortable changing it. Perhaps this is one of those that needs a 2.5 star recom.

The top half of each bowl of this I smoked was wonderful. Nice, mild nutty burley, plain and simple, with a pleasant roasted almond flavor. Mild tasting but good flavor. A very relaxing tobacco. Excellent!

The bottom half is where things went south. That pleasing nut flavor turned bitter rather quickly. It never got harsh but it took on a sour, unfriendly taste. I found this to be consistent in every pipeful. I'm not sure if it needs more drying or what and it was most offputting.

I got the best results from this when I "parfaited" it by putting something like Sugar Barrel on the bottom and SWR on top. The nutlike sweetness then got a bit sweeter as the Sugar Barrel took over and the SWR burned away. That upgraded it to a solid 3 star recommendation. I plan to do more experimentation in this manner. Highly recommended for the top half bowl, not recommended for the bottom.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)

A plain no frills burley blend, not very exciting, but comforting and reliable.

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)

I think it's a good smoke. I have my favorites and try to blend others together but I would not turn this one down.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my quest for good smokes I always seem to shoot for the esoteric and miss the obvious. While I'm a huge fan of Prince Albert I haven't really looked into codger burleys beyond PA. Being thrifty I got the idea to head by the nearby tobacco stop and see if they had any pipe tobacco at all. They had the typical stuff like PA, SWR, Half & Half and Carter Hall. I picked up a pouch of SWR and Half & Half since I've actually never tried them before. I had a newly acquired estate pipe in hand so I figured why not break it in with SWR. Upon opening the pouch I was greeted with the smell of raisins, figs and an ever so slight rum smell. My wife said it smelled like a "fruity granola bar" which I agree is pretty accurate. It's a pretty chunky cut which I can say I'm ambivalent about. Loading up my new Amphora sandblasted bulldog I gravity filled the pipe with an extra pinch on top and gave it a nice charring light. One more match and I was off to the races. SWR struck me as a nice burley with some of the raisin and rum flavor coming through but not as strong as I suspected. There was some burley nuttiness that I enjoy but not as much as PA. The one detraction was that it can turn bitter if you puff a little too hard or it's a bit windy out but it's quite easily controlled as long as you puff slow and steady. It burned fairly fast and even though this is a pretty large pipe I was done in about 40 to 45 minutes. That can be good or bad depending on time constraints or how much free time you have to burn (pun intended!). If you want something simple, not heavy on nicotine, tasty with some burley nuttiness then SWR will certainly fill the bill. It's not a nicotine or flavor blast and it's quite simple from beginning to end but I truely am admiring simplicity both in life and pipe tobacco. SWR is quite simple but still has much to offer in that simplicity.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When I first started smoking the pipe regularly, I got wrapped up on the hype and was a sample whore. I tried every tobacco I could get my hands on, and often found myself to be utterly dissatisfied.

Eventually, I decided it was time to search for the elusive "all day smoke". Many search and never find such a thing. Now, I won't say that this turned out to be it for me, but it is a regular for sure, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

This is a basic blend, simple, no frills. There is no doubt if you have only tried the pouch, do yourself a favor and get a tub, you might find yourself adding one or two stars to your review. The smell out of the tub is enticing to me, chocolate, coffee and spiciness, very rich. A granulated cut burley, it is easy to load and light. Those of you that think this is ribbon need to re-acquaint yourself with tobacco cuts. The flavor is simple, no nonsense. Good nutty burley with hints of chocolate and raisin flavors in the smoke. It can get boring, but it's not meant to be a Pease or C&D blend. As far as bitterness goes, if you puff too hard it will go sour on you. This is mild, so accept that and enjoy the slight soft nuances of this smoke. If you are expecting a flavor punch like from OJK or another boutique burley, you are not going to get it here. Enjoy it for what it is.

When I don't know what to smoke, and my palate is overworked by all the fancy blends, this is what I turn to.

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (5)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tried this one because I wanted to try some different drug store blends, and I can remember my grandfather smoking this stuff years ago. My first thought when I opened the package was that of a weak smell. Maybe a light alcohol smell. The tobacco was very dry. Did not pack well in my pipe at all. Burned very hot, and had the flavour of burnt grass. Gonna throw this one out.

Update: 11/09/2009 I shouldn't be so quick to judge. After smoking a few bowls, it's not as bad as I thought. Still not my fav, but i will add onother star.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

In the tin, this plug-cut burley has a basic burley grassiness topped along with an alcohol and cocoa aroma which smells like a chocolate liqueur.

This is a basic mix of gently sweetened light, brown, and dark burleys with rich flavor and a nice nicotine hit.

SIr Walter Raleigh is unassuming, comfortable, and quite enjoyable. This went well in chambers of any gauge.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sir Walter seems to be a distant cousin of Prince Albert. Both are good burleys. The pouch I tried earlier was a poor example compared to the tub I purchased later. Very strong burley taste. At one time I considered this to be a poor choice for my pipes. I have since changed my mind.

My wife doesn't care for the room note on this one but the taste is worth it to me. I shall be purchasing more in the future. Dry and stays lit in my pipe without a problem. May be too strong for some peoples taste. This goes well on cold winter days.

Unlike some other cheap brands Sir Walter comes in a sealed can with a real metal top instead of just cheap plastic wrap. For a drug store brand I surely can't complain.

Edit: I have to up my recommendation of this. The more of it I smoke the more I like it. My biggest complaint was the burley bitters at the bottom of the bowl. I've solved that by filling my bowls only half way. While being rather one dimensional it is still a pleasant smoke. It will remain in my rotation and I will store away several cans of this.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One of my favorite all day smokes. It's cheap and is much better quality than most of the cheap drugstore blends. It has a decent flavor and smokes easy. Just one light is all you need. I always have a pouch handy.

As we all know this is a straight burley with some sweetish topping. It is chopped into inconsistently sized pieces and was on the dry side when I purchased the 1.5 oz pouch. Still in the pouch, it smells also of chocolate and slightly of alcohol. Packing and lighting was easy...to keep this lit longer I fill a bowl, false light and tamp and then refill and light...burley flecks burn quickly so this works well. The aroma was very nice...a little sweet and buttery-nutty, no real sour taste on the palate. I'll definitely buy this again since it is on the lighter side of the "topping" spectrum, which I prefer, a nice drug-store blend. I have spent countless hundreds of dollars on high dollar tobacco, been disappointed and found this simple, inexpensive burley eclipses quite a few of them.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (135)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I must give this another star. I seem to have written off SWR too quickly on my original review below (which is untouched). I must put it in the same ring as those which I single out in my original review. It is very easy to light and keep lit and is very unpretentious. Simple is sometimes what one needs. I indeed did finish off the small sample that I had and can now recommend it.

Original review: This is the current stop on my trip down OTC lane. I must say that I am not very impressed at all with SWR. Thankfully, I only have a 2 ounce purchase to deal with. The only plus of this blend is that it is a cheap blend and I really can see why it is priced as low as it is. This may indeed end up in the trash bin very shortly. I don't really detect any real taste with this blend at all. I really can't see what all the postive reviewers see in this at all. I find Carter Hall, Prince Albert and a couple of the Captain Black blends far superior in taste and overall quality. I won't be buying this again.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)

When I'm going to cut the grass or work out in the garden, this is what I put in my cob. It's a great outside smoke. It's simple in nature (burley) so you don't have to pay any attention to it. Just puff on it while you putter around in the yard. For that, it's perfect.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

From the can: My dad smoked this exclusively and I know why -the cost!. But actually, I really like this. It's crumbly (but not too dry - out of the can) so you don't want to pack it much. Just let gravity fill your pipe and give it a light finger tamp. It stays lit and has a light flavoring that is addictive in both smell and flavor. I am brought back to my childhood when I bury my nose in the can. Give it a try - you know there is reason the old drugstore brands are still around (and it isn't just the cost). Like PA and CH, SWR is a comfortable and enjoyable experience.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am reviewing this in the pouch version. As expected, the tobacco was very dry, so I humidified it in a small plastic tub with distilled water. The results are as follows: Appearance - Little cubes, almost like Grape Nuts cereal. Color is a warm mahogany brown. Aroma - This smells like molasses, maybe a hint of rum, but primarily of burley. It has a nice earthy smell in my opinion. Here we go - upon lighting, the rum, molasses and bready flavors leap to the pallet.I love Burley tobacco, and have learned to smoke them very slow, just above the point of letting them go out. Smoking this blend in the proper cadance, while exhaling the smoke out of my nose, I find this to be almost exactly like Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. The flavors are simple, with high quality burley, rum and molasses. I find the flavors to be consistant throughout the entire bowl. In my opinion, good Burley can have a hint of a minty, or menthol flavor at times, and these flavors do peek in once in a while. Nicotine is medium, I seem to be almost immune to anything but the very strongest of tobacco, but this satisfies. I will rehydrate my next pouch with dark rum instead of distilled water, and I think it will be a dead ringer for Edgeworth. If you like Burley, I think you will like this. This blend is among my very favorites.

Rebo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rebo (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

My dad was a pipe smoker and SWR was his favorite blend. I guess that's why I wanted to like it so much. But either the recipe has changed over the years or my memories are clouded by my nostalgia. Not entirely bad and I can understand why some people smoke it. It's just that for me, there are better burley blends available.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Echoing the review immediately below, I am fairly ambivalent concerning SWR. As I usually tend to the English side of the tobacco spectrum, this is not a surprise. However in terms of making recommendations I am learning that it is difficult to rate a blend for others to reference as this is such a subjective measure. I'd probably rate this higher if blends of this type were my normal cup of tea. Actually I did like it better than the Edgeworth blend which was decidedly boring and one-dimensional to me. This was a tab more tasty and was the blend I used to wean myself off of cigarettes. I tried a bowl yesterday to renew my impressions and will most likely keep what I have left in the pouch as a rainy day backup. In other words...it's not that bad.

Dr. Grabow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Grabow (4)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I need to start by saying that I recommend all pipe tobacco because I feel everyone is different with different tastes. "To each his/her own". With that I be short in my review. I felt that SWR was mild tasting with an ok room note. Due to the amazing selection of pipe tobaccos these days SWR falls short of living up to anything noble. However, I feel it was never intended to. It's just a good old fashion pipe tobacco from yesteryear and a basic no non-sense blend of burley tobaccos. It is what it is, and you get what you get. Dr. Grabow

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is simply a cased burley cube cut type tobacco that has many loyal, devoted fans. Personally, when I desire this type of smoke, I prefer either Granger or Prince Albert. I find SWR kinda boring and I usually can't finish a bowlful. However, I know several people who smoke only this in their Dr. Grabow pipes and would smoke nothing else. As they say, to each their own and that's why their are thouands of tobacco blends.

tycobby2003 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tycobby2003 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just a good straight tobacco for any one just getting in to pipe smoking also it is good for blending

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is another of those tobaccos you can easily find at the grocery store. I thought it was two dry and every time I have bought this it has been super dry and crunchy sounding when rubbed between the fingers. It burned well and it didn't have a terrible room note, but the lack of freshness makes me think of stale tobacco, it just isn't my cup of tea. There isn't much flavor there. My Private notes have this at a 3.0 out of 10 affordability is the biggest benefit.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

I find Sir Walter Raleigh to be a very original taste for a pipe tobacco blend.The burley in this blend gives a nice flavor of richness and the casing is a touch of chocolate with someone else... maybe a whiskey of some kind.Overall,I enjoy the cut of the tobacco which is similar to Edgeworth RR and the burn on SWR is always nice and slow.Luckily this blend is widely available and it's best fresh from the can:)

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

Once again, we find the details of a listed tobacco in gross error. Sir Walter Raleigh contains no black Cavendish. In fact, no Cavendish of any kind and is not ribbon cut. It is a cube cut Burley blend very similar to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. The only real difference being the flavor. While SWR is not as flavorful as Edgeworth, it is still a smokable product for those who enjoy a mildly topped cubed Burley blend. Like any cubed Burley, it packs easily and lights with minimal effort. It isn't overly moist and burns well with minimal bite if smoked properly. Overall, I would give it three stars. It's not in the league of Edgeworth, but close.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

Despite having sampled most of the rest of the classic American Codger Burlies, it recently came to my attention that I had not sampled SWR Regular. So naturally I had to pick up a pouch and give it a go.

True to the genre, if you're looking for fireworks or a lot of oooooh and aaaah you'd be better off looking elsewhere. SWR is what it is, a old school codger burley and has all the underpinnings thereof. The cut makes it a slow burner and the casing is very reminiscent of Edgeworth RR'd. This is a good old reliable, understated, low maintenance burley. Not many bells and whistles, like most codger burlies this blend is designed to be smoked by the working man while he works. Not a lot of time to fiddle with your pipe when you're working so SWR doesn't require it. The standard one light a tamp and then you're off. SWR will satisfy whether your paying attention or not. Like most codger burlies this is a fantastic "doing something else" tobacco perfect to smoke while working, fishing, mowing the lawn etc. The taste is great, this stuff wouldn't bite if you paid it to and it seems to leave a very subtle but pleasant taste stuck to the inside of your mouth. For the most part it doesn't leave that damp, soupy dottle and can easily and comfortably be smoked to the bottom of the bowl. The room note is somewhere between tolerable and pretty good. I can find no fault with this blend and will probably opt to purchase a tub the next time I buy it. There will obviously never be a replacement for our dearly departed Edgeworth RR'd but this is as close as it gets. If you're a burleyphile this is well worth your time and it's readily available for a very reasonable price. A good value says I. Prince Albert is still king of the codger burley roost but with the demise of ERR'd I would put SWR a close second. Three and a half stars.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

This is an update: for decades my experience with SWR had been the same: I'd get a pack (the older paper fold at the top model) smoke about half of it and then leave it sitting around til it got so dry as to get tossed. I'd smoke it working in the garage, or while riding the lawnmower or out camping. It was rarely better than "OK". This last summer I picked up a newer roll up plastic pouch for something to do (I was going back through the basic OTC burleys). It definitely does not taste the same. Yeah, it could be me, but I'm not so sure. I don't get the blast of casing on lighting up. The flavor is way quieter, smoother. I can smoke it down to the bottom with little to no bitters. Cooler. Kinda fun in a basic sort of way. Smokes slower than say, PA or CH, due to the cut. I'm not saying this is gonna replace MacBaren Navy Flake but I find it more now on par with the other basic burley blends and more acceptable. I'd give it about 2 and 2/3 stars but it comes out three. If you are a basic no bull burley guy you might want to see if your experience agrees. Did I mention cheap?

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am in the process of trying out the great American OTC blends. I tried SWR in a cob and found it virtually tasteless. In a small briar, it is an outstanding burley, with a mysterious yet pleasant taste that does not disapate as one gets nearer the end of the pipe.

The odd thing about SWR is the casing or topping. Open the can and you smell a kind of fermented cough syrup smell, or the sort of smell that you get from the bottom of a glass the morning after the party. Do not be put off by this. It is not present in the smoke -- at least not in my briar -- and I don't know, but aging may reduce it.

Like his estimable cousin, Prince Albert, Sir Walter is an excellent "service" smoke -- a low-maintenance tobacco. It stays lit, is fine if you have to relight it, and does not bite.

And at the price, a bargain. If you are looking for value, flavour and convenience, look no further.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)

I started smoking SWR in 1960 along with a few pouches of Prince Albert. While I am a matured Virginia Plug smoker for the most part, I always keep a tub of SWR handy.

Certainly it is not a complex smoke or taste, and as prior reviewers have noted, it has changed since its introduction in 1884 by the J.G. Flynt Co. to Brown & Williamson who bought the brand in 1925.

However, the "essence" of this tobacco is still there... What I smoked in 1960 is still detectable even with the various manufacturing processes and companies who have been involved with this brand. Perhaps I adjust my expectations for this tobacco or perhaps nostalgia takes over, but I think its worth a try.

UPDATE: Still one of my favorite smokes...even with the changes in companies who manufacturer this tobacco...

...a pipe is to be savored...

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

This tobacco is of good quality, but lacks in the flavor dept. The aroma is superb and that is what made me go out and buy some. It's pebble cut/granulated burley. Fills easy and lights easy. You need two bowls of this to satisfy the nicotine monkey if you don't inhale any. Had this tobacco been aged with slightly more topping, it would rate at three stars. If I couldn't get PA or H & H, I'd settle for this.

After smoking a few bowls of this I updated my review. Yes it is very light but smooth. The flavor is quite earthy and has a grassy note to it. The aroma is smokey with a hickory wood smell. There is no accelerants or preservatives added. It's somewhat dry out of the pouch. Im guessing out of the can, it would be a little moister. This is a very nice clean smoke, with no bull$#!+ added. I still favor PA, H & H, and { Jimmy Carter } Hall to this, but if this was all I could find I'd run with it! This is comparable with Mild Kentucky Club. If you like the lighter burleys, this will scratch the itch.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I can't really find anything at all to like about SWR. This blend is so weak and has so little character I can never seem to finish the bowl.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

Finally got around to trying this after years of reading the reviews. It's not one readily available in Southern California drugstores, but I finally found some in a Culver City Rite-Aid. It's fairly inexpensive, and comes in the fold over pouch like Captain Black. The orange and blue design is beautiful, as it doesn't seem to have changed much over the years.

The scent from the open pouch is pleasant, burley tobacco, with a very light raisin-y booze note. Smelled great to me! Bigger, thicker cut than Middleton tobaccos, but packed easily. Doesn't stay lit quite like the Prince, but burns more slowly and behaves quite well. It smoked nicely almost to the bottom of the bowl, where it tended to get a little acrid and nasty. I can't find much to complain about with this stuff, and it does have much to recommend it. This does have its share of poor reviews, and I just don't see why. 75 years of pipesmokers can't be that far off!

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just plain, simple granulated burley, with a slight top dressing.

It's a cinch to pack. It is very plain, but it burns well and dry all the way down. You gotta sip this, or you will bring the bitterness to the fore.

Otherwise, it is a good smoke for when you want to read the paper with a cup of coffee, pay the bills, etc.

It has a nice, nutty grassy taste.

Lately I prefer this to Prince Albert, as I prefer the chunkier cut. It is much better out of the 14 ounce tin.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I hadn't ever seen this for sale in my area before today and as a fancier of American burley's I just had to give it a try. I've smoked the Aromatic version in the past and found it decent.

Not horrible. I love the dryish granulated cut. Not too much other than "real tobacco" with a bit of molassasy casing in the pouch, somewhat licoricey and "almost" perfumey on first light, settling down to a toasty,"bready" burley smoke with some cigarettish undertones. Somewhat grassy too, at the back of the tongue. I suspect that theres some poor quality virginia leaf in here in addition to the stated burley and "cavendish".

Just not too much flavor, not too much of anything, in fact. Unlike PA, H&H or any of the other drugstore pouch burleys, this one never really hit that awesome nutty "burley groove" for me. The best thing about this stuff is that the great smell of real tobacco does waft nicely into the nose from time to time, I just wish that it tasted as good as it smells.

I originally tried this blend out in a brand new no name cutty that I had previously honey/ash treated and I thought that the pipe might have been to blame, I later tried it in a couple of my "burley cobs" with the same results as my first encounter.

A decent enough experience, but not inspiring, and I could see smoking this if nothing else were available. With all of the other great drugstore blends out there (and falling all over the place in my closet), though ,I doubt I'll be buying another pouch of this.

Perhaps it was better in past years. Maybe the tinned version is better-I doubt I'll ever find out.

I'll give it two stars, 1 star being reserved for awfulness like Mixture No.79 and Kentucky Bird. I'll also rank it last on my list of drugstore burleys.

Sorry Walt...

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

yeah, man, yeah... granulated tobacco, gravity fill, grapenuts texture. Burley, loving it... I am a big burley fan. I used to chew tobacco many many years ago, and I guess logically my first love then was the burley, as that's what they use in chewing tobacco. Moved then to VA's and never really got into them that much, then the Perique blends, I liked the flavors but the damage ratio was a little high for me, then to latakia, and just hated them... Finally, after all the boutique tobaccos and stuff, just started trying these old burleys out, and found out that's my thing... Make me feel so much better than the VA's, the Periques, the latakias, the orientals, because burley is the stuff I originally fell in love with, and just continues to be good to me. SWR is very nutty and nice, burns well, doesn't bite. Really one of the better ones in my opinion.

Artemus_Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Artemus_Ward (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sir Walter Raleigh is my favorite among the OTC burleys. I'll smoke the others, but I always come back to this one. Taste is subjective, but I always seem to get a more consistantly satisfying smoke from SWR compared to the competition. The flavor is nutty, somewhat spicy to my tastes, sometimes a little peppery depending on how I smoke it. I find it a good way to begin my smoking day, and I like it both in a briar as well as in a cob. The room note is warm, pleasant, also kind of spicy, to my nose. It has the nice, straight up, old-fashioned tobacco smell I recall from my childhood visits to my pipe-smoking great-grandfather's house.

I smoke all types of tobacco -- when I want something sweet, I'll go with an aromatic; when I went something more substantial and complex, the English blends fit the bill. When I want a simple, no-frills, but enjoyable smoke, Sir Walter Raleigh works for me.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A lot has changed since I last had this, this tobacco doesn't even seem like it is the same blend. The first time I tried this, the leaf looked like rabbit pellets, tasted sickly sweet, and bit like the devil. This time around, well, its kind of good.

This isn't the nicest cut of tobacco in the world. The "cube cut" for a lack of a better term is somewhat course, but it helps this tobacco burn slower, which is a nice characteristic. Personally, I like the fact that this doesn't spontaneously combust the second you strike a match. It requires a few relights, which is a nice change of pace for a drug store blend.

This has really good burley flavor, buttery and slightly sweet. I don't really notice the casing, but the bit of sweetness might be contributed to it. This smokes rather cool and is a particularly nice blend for all day. The room note is pleasant. An all-tobacco aroma with a bit of sweetness to it.

I don't know why my first pouch of this was terrible a while back and frankly, it doesn't matter. This is on par with Prince Albert as far as OTC blends go. If you like Burley, give Sir Walter Raleigh a try.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Burley and Black Cavendish begin with 'B' and so does Boring. I did not like this. Nutty, black licorice flavor with a sickly faint maple topping. Unpleasant pouch aroma. I'm not against drugstore blends, but I can't understand why anyone would want to smoke this when there are so many other great tobaccos available.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (37)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

As with Prince Albert, there is no nostalgia for me with this tobacco. I tried this stuff 20 years ago and hated it. I have just bought another pouch and I, well, like it somewhat. Upon opening the pouch there is a faint smell of casing and one sees both dark and light leaves. By the way, a hint at the actual topping may be found in an Old Time Radio commercial that I heard claiming that Sir Walter Raleigh is made with a little rum. However, that was a long time ago and the manufacture of it has probably changed since the 40's. Anyway, if someone still claims that the tobacco is topped with rum, I'd not have much grounds to doubt them. The moisture in the pouch was about right for a burley. It was, in my opinion, a bit clumpy for packing and one really had to know what they are doing. Keep your tamper near, you will need it. Lighting was easy and it only required one throughout the entire bowl. The smoke is easy on the tongue and no amount of puffing will make it bite. The flavor was minimal, but not strong at all. This would be a great starter tobacco were it not for the packing issues. The over all experience is nice, but it is no Prince. The topping does do one thing for the tobacco, however. It tends to heat up the bowl. Hold your pipe by the stem!

Karyyk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karyyk (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This isn't the worst smoke in the world, but personally I don't think it holds a candle to the SWR Aromatic. This is a course-cut burley, but honestly, it's a bit too course, and usually very dry. It's not awful and can be rather nice if taken slowly. It seems to burn a bit hot, and there is a slight bitterness to it, although my experience hasn't been as bad as some others. If I was stuck somewhere with nothing else to smoke, I wouldn't turn this down, but it's definitely not my first choice.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Sir Walter Raleigh is just plain crimp cut burley with a light top dressing. It burns slow, cool and has little bite unless you pull on it like a freight train. One of the better OTC burley blends, but not quite as good as Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this years ago and my recent revisit revealed that this blend hasn't changed much. Plain burley with delicate topping that I can't describe and am not particularly fond of. I do like the cut, which reminds me of the crumbles your end up with when trying to rub out 2015. It lights easily and is tolerable for the first half of the bowl....I just dump the rest. Reasonably priced, available everywhere and I still prefer it above the aromatic OTC blends. In an ever-changing world it is nice to know that some things stay the same........

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

OK, so I'm not much of a Burley fan, and after smoking this stuff, I can see why. There's not much flavor in this tobacco, in fact I found it a little bitter. Not much to describe in the room note either. I bought this on a whim, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I'll stick with my Captain Black Royal for my all day smoke, and a nice English Blend to end the day...

Update: I've totally changed my mind about this one. Maybe I got a bad batch for my initial review of this classic tobacco? After several fresh, new pouches of this blend, I have come to the conclusion, that I was wrong. It is now in my current rotation, and will continue to be in my top five Codger Blends...

Gerry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gerry (4)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I have smoked Sir Walter for many years; my experience with this tobacco recently has been disappointing. The strength, and flavor of this tobacco, in my opinion, has been changed or tampered and the processing has also been altered. All of my purchases in the last few months have been lacking the proper moisture content.

The cut has been changed, the quality of the burley have been altered. All these factors combining have caused Sir Walter to burn hot, with a drastic deviation from the orginal formulation that I enjoyed for many years. It could be quite simple as a declining market and demand for this long time brand thus, causing formulation and processing changes.

I just could not recommend to a novice or beginning pipe smoker.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

SWR was the first pipe tobacco I smoked way back in high school. Over the years, I drifted to aromatics. Last year, I tried English and Balkan blends and fell in love. No more aromatics. The other day, on a whim, I picked up a pouch of SWR and truly enjoyed it. This is what my grandfather and my father smoked when I was a boy. This was probably the most popular pipe tobacco then. SWR, IMHO, is a mild, nutty tasting, cool smoking blend. This is burley, burley, burley. Definitely a must try for anyone who likes burley, or is curious about burley blends. This is not the only burley on the market, but it is good. I will not give up my English or Balkan blends, but SWR will be a regular in my list of favorites.

Birddog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Birddog (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I was looking for Edgeworth RR when I picked up a pouch of SWR. While I remember Brown and Williamson owning it when I tried it years ago (when comedian George Burns was its spokesman on TV: "The pouch matches my shower curtains," he'd say in that gravelly voice); the pipe offer on the inside of the glassine package was returnable to Lane Limited. In any event, I found this to be very similar to ERR and what the package advertised: plain burley that's mild, nutty with a pleasant room note. In the pouch it was just less than a cube cut ("granulated," one reviewer noted aptly) and I detected no top dressing. I did detect an off smell when first opening the pouch that went away after a day or two. Its taste varied by pipe. I smoked it in a briar and a clay pipe (which my dad used at his muzzleloaders' rendezvous meetings in the '70s) and it was a bit sharp in the clay. But the room note was pleasant ("Smells like pipe tobacco" my wife said) and it is just what is says - plain burley. I think the ERR was bit milder, but this is an inexpensive, nice smoke. For me, the burleys are a nice change of pace and a good outdoor smoke. Recommended.

Isaiah 53:3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Isaiah 53:3 (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I was pleasantly surprised by SWR. The pouch aroma was a bit unusual (a bit like Bugler cigarette tobacco), but I found the tobacco felt quite natural and not sticky to the touch. It burned quite well and yielded that good old burley flavor.

If smoked gently, it will not bite.

All in all-good stuff. I do however, prefer the cut of Prince Albert.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

You know everytime I buy a box only becuse I the candy store dosen't have anything else. And I want to smoke my pipe but I am out of tobacco. I find myself saying SRW is a really enjoyable tobacco. Then I say to myself "SELF" why I do I smoke all those other fancy tobacco blends Like GL Pease and Cornel & Diehl when I can buy this great pipe tobacco almost anywhere. I think that today pipe smokers has become more pretentous then cigar smokers. Maybe due to all those boutique blends? Like C&D and GL and others? Hey guys pipe smoking was ment to be a simple plaesure and SRW is the Blend for a real pipe smoker. Maybe that is why it was so popular years ago and there were way many more pipe smokers then. Pipe smoking was simple and easy.This is a great simple pipe tobacco Blend of Burley simple and easy on the tongue and the nose . Believe me try it you are not above the enjoyment of this great American Classic tobaaco.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)

If you smoke burley then you've been here. You've smoked it. Its a stand bye now. I dont reach for it unless I cant find anything else...its not exciting, it doesnt deserve platitudes, it is just what it is..Its burley and it is Sir Walter Raleigh and that's it.....

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

A good tobacco for a corncob. I have found it smokes best in a small corn cob with a small bowl. If you move up to bigger pipes, the smoke turns sour half way down the bowl. Great to smoke as an occasional "nostalgic" smoke. Lot's of "blue smoke" as you puff away!

=UPDATE 1-2-07= I must update and upgrade my previous review. Upon hearing of the Death of former President Gerald Ford, I also heard Sir Walter Raleigh was his everyday smoke. So, I pulled the pouch out of my humidor and thought I would have a smoke in his honor. This time I loaded up a vintage Kaywoodie "Fine Line" Bulldog, and lit up. I must say this tobacco is quite simple, yet good in a way I did not previously appreciate. In a briar, I now find this tobacco to be extremely flavorful, with true burley flavor shining through all the way down the bowl. It also no longer turns sour for me towards the bottom of the bowl. My partner, who grew up in "Tobacco Country" says the smell reminds him of the old days, and this is the way a tobacco should smell while being smoked. I can now see why President Ford enjoyed it. I must now upgrade this blend to 4 stars! A true classic!

P.S- I wonder if the few months of aging in my humidor made a difference? You never know how long these blends sit on the shelf at your local drugstore, so who knows? Mybe a little aging made The Great Sir better?

20000wattsRSL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
20000wattsRSL (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Strong

Personally this was a rough one for me, I remembered smoking good old Sir Walter Raleigh up north during the winters and it had a noticeable differnce, less bite, however it really don?t do it for me here during the warmer climates in Texas. Perhaps you may have a better experience with SWR as of today my mind is made.

--That?s my story and Im sticking to it.?

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

My step-father smoked Raleigh. He'd not smoke anything else.

Either Raleigh has changed over the years, or, my step-dad enjoyed hot, biting and acidic tasting pipe tobacco.

Foul stuff. Run like the wind!

If you're out of tobacco and can only rely on Walgreens, grab a pouch of Carter Hall.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must confess that this review is written from and with a healthy dose of nostalgia.

Former President Gerald Ford has just died. I remember precisely where I was when he took office...at Smokers' Haven in Columbus, Ohio...for the first time.

A few years ago, I remember reading that President Ford smoked Field and Stream. Right after he took office, I remember reading in "Newsweek" that he smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. Frankly, I believe both.

When I first started pipesmoking in 1971, the popular blends among college freshmen were Borkum Riff and Flying Dutchman. Both of these burned my tongue like a heaping of flaming coals. Sir Walter was the first tobacco I smoked that gave me any real tobacco satisfaction.

Not long afterward, I was introduced to Balkan Sobranie...and found my "groove." But Sir Walter is still a satisfying a smoke.

There is a lot of mollases included...pure sugar. When you cut the cake out of your pipe, you are advised to use an oyster shucker!

Recommended because it is a classic...and an acceptable smoke.

5/11/13

This world seems to get, as Lewis Carroll wrote, "curiouser and curiouser." SWR has changed manufacturers and manifestations so many times during the past 40 years, it is hard to keep track.

Whilst waiting for my next order of bespoke blend to arrive, I bought a pouch of this venerable blend the other night at Kroger. The package now declares that it is made by "Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd, Tucker, GA." Who knows who or what that is?

But, really, who cares? The smoke is the important thing. And the smoke ain't bad; it ain't great, either. But that is, to me, at least, how SWR has always been.

For Burley fanciers, this old favorite will always make-do in a pinch.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Wandering in Sunnyvale, CA one evening after supper - I had my pipe but no tobacco. Upon stopping off at a newsagent I found myself with this behind the counter pack, probably because of the name and design.. (fickle man !) and thought ... Why not !

OK - not my ususal - it's got a topping and is little moist. I expected gurglings and bite form the pouch aroma ..but pleasantly surprised by it's calm smoke and gentle taste.

Better than many ...worse than some... For a one off pouch on an otherwise tobacco less evening I would plunge again.

No knighthoods this time for Walter but the court was not entirely displeased.

I say keep an open mind and don't be put off by the negative reviews out there and "branding" as often ral-ei-ghed at drugstore tobacco's.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just finished a pouch of SWR. An OK smoke, a little on the harsh side, but smokeable. The cut was very coarse, and the pouch was slightly stale.

I'll buy this again, hopefully getting a fresh pouch will improve the flavor.

Patriot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patriot (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll admit that straight from the tin, SWR is barely okay. Like another reviewer, I smoke it while traveling, hence it stays in my truck. What a wonderful surprise I had when smoking it on a day trip after a few weeks of New Mexico heat had effectively stoved this burley blend! Flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and cinnaminish-spice seeped from the tin, and the smoke itself kept that melding. My suggestion: stove this and try it again--maybe you'll be surpised too!

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

One summer at the lake I tried to force myself to get used to this blend , as I had found an abundant supplier of pouches at a super price. (it was a super market on the way home from work) The first couple of pouches went very well however it got very old very quick. The cut of the tobacco is larger then say Prince Albert or Kentucky club however I think it is a lesser grade. It tended to sour the pipe and give me a nasty case of tongue bite as it settled in and I don?t think I?ll smoke it again .

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Similar to Carter Hall, but not as nutty. Easy to smoke but very little flavor, not bad in a pinch, but I would not buy it again. There are other tobaccos that are just as available and provide better taste. Good for the novice pipe smoker or to break in a new pipe.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)

i actually liked this the first few times i smoked it,but as time went on i discoverd it made a even better blending tobacco.the aroma reminded me of pipe tobacco combined with a mild cigar.now this kind of had a whiskey taste to it,which i did like.being straight burly i didn't detect any casing,which surprised me cause like i said it had a whiskey taste to it.i like to keep it around for blending,but every so often i still smoke it straight.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I love a good Burley, but SWR doesn't fill that bill. It's flat and tasteless through the first half of the bowl, and then it becomes a perfect example of the dreaded Burley curse, becoming sour and bitter to the end.

If you're looking for a nice, plain Burley smoke, head over to SWR's old-time competitor Prince Albert instead. It's head and shoulders above SWR.

Or spend a little more money and get Mac Baren's Burley London Blend.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

1-9-2010

Wow! Lane Limited has improved this tobacco since it had taken production over from Brown and Williamson. Still not as good but definately improved. This tobacco was from the pouch and not the the large tin which I would stay away from. From what I can remember their large tin tobacco smell like sweet alcoholic hairspray wether SWR or Captain Black. Anyways, the cut is a finer short, crumbly texture than the previous irregular chunky cake-cube. The B&W version was like small, crumbly cake pellets. This version doesn't quite have the weight of flavor and aroma of the former but again much improved over Lane's original reformulation and more like the older version. The pouch aroma reminds me of chocolate and the spice mace or nutmeg. Very mild to bland tastewise but positive on contemplation I think. I giving this a strong 2 stars and will likely buy it again. For me it beat out the current Granger which isn't quite as good as it used to be years ago. The original SWR in my opinion was the best burley tobaco of all time even though it was a "drugstore blend." This incarnation isn't quite there but pleasureable and reminiscent. Still even better then most Mac Baren burley tobaccos.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This old brand was a rather bland and forgetable stop on my "drugstore blend" road-trip. Even with my soft-spot for old American Burley blends, I just couldn't get into Sir Walter Raleigh.I loved the cut, and the pouch aroma was nice but the first half of the bowl was nothing but slightly fruity tasting "warm air". The pleasant Burley toastiness came out a bit in the last half of the bowl but for the most part, SWR is about as exciting as a snail race. I'll keep trying to get something out of the pouch I purchased, but I fear it might be a futile effort.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

SWR is the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. It was my introduction into the pleasurable and unique world of pipes and pipe smoking. I was just 16 when I picked out my first pouch of SWR at my local Walgreen?s. I remember this experience more than my first kiss, and probably because it was a lot better and involved a lot less hassle & heartache. I remember paying about $3.99 for SWR because it came with a free pipe, a Golden Burl from France and a helpful little guide about pipes and tobacco entitled: A Pipe Smoker?s Guide to Pleasure, to which I still refer when I?m feeling nostalgic. I remember liking SWR then, but being a neophyte, I had no basis of comparison. Almost 30 years later, a friend of mine found a pouch at a hookah shop now located in one of the trendier parts of Chicago?s Ukranian Village. Now that I?ve sampled dozens of different blends, I have a new and profound appreciation for the simple, basic wholesomeness of SWR. This excellent, all American cube cut burley is perhaps the finest commercial tobacco blend you can buy and a real bargain. It?s easily an all day favorite. Though made by cigarette giant Brown & Williamson, there is no skimping on the quality of the leaves, the aroma and burning properties. I don't agree with the other reviews about this being the worst parts of the plant. If so, you've got me fooled. This is not your typical sickening sweet drugstore blend by any means. In fact, it is only slightly aromatic, the natural, sweet burleys always at the forefront. The pouch features the red and black striped necktie design and portrait of our patron saint of tobacco in the western world: Sir Walter Raleigh. The pouch no longer comes wrapped in the small cardboard box of years previous. The pouch aroma is as I remember it: raisiny and nutty with just a hint of spiced fig. The crimp cut allows the tobacco to burn evenly and well, though smokes a little on the fast side. The room note is light, fragrant and always pleasing. The taste is basic, honest and true, with very little complexity. This is a true pipe smoker?s tobacco before all the gourmet blends burst upon the scene. Because there is never any tongue bite, SWR is easier to handle than Wilke?s Nut Brown Burley, which I believe is the finest American all burley tobacco in production. SWR has been around for over 75 years, and for good reason. When the gentle art of pipe smoking has passed into the realm of forgotten pastimes, as I believe one day it will, SWR will be the last of the blends to enter the halls of eternity. It will have its devotees until the end, and I shall count myself among them. Enjoy it and awaken fond memories of when it was hip for a man to smoke a pipe and even be admired for it.

Four of five stars

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Sir Walter Raleigh is a very old American burley tobacco that has filled the pipes of smokers for over seven decades. That said, one wonders how it has managed to endure as long as it has. It has a somewhat chunky cut, which does lend itself to easy lighting, and a weird, unappealing casing. When lit, it tastes like a sort of funky, unflavorful steam. There's really nothing to this tobacco that I like;it's bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. Not for me, thanks.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A classic Burley Tobacco blend that has lasted over 75 years. A tobacco blend lasting 75 years does not do so by being tasteless. This burley tobacco satisfies the same way a good cup of Maxwell House Coffee does. This blend is no blend at all,but actually straight Kentucky and Tennessee white Burley aged and with very little flavouring that does not get in the way of the true tobacco taste. Want true to goodness tobacco that satisfies,and is most economical? Sir Walter Raleigh.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

This is a pretty bad over the counter blend. Only thing I find consistant about it is after half a bowl it tastes bitter.

Everready Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Everready (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

OK, I guess you might be looking at this review and saying to yourself... Mild...Extremely Mild...Pleasant...Flat... but he smokes it regularly. Is this guy nuts?

It's how I smoke it. I like very strong tobaccos, but they are often too strong and need some softening, imagine, if you will, smoking G&H Irish Twist while driving. Sir Walter does that beautifully. My fave tobacco is Condor Original, but too much of a good thing is very expensive. I cut it by 3 parts (SWR) to 1 (Condor) and can smoke with peace of mind all day.

Try mixing with a strong virgina, and you will see what I mean. SWR is so mild, the flavor of the other tobacco still comes thru but somewhat milder. Mix to your comfort level and enjoy.

Someone else try this and let me know.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

An even more boring and bland version of Sir Walter's Aromatic. If I have to say something positive : It's really cheap.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Original Sir Walter Raleigh is an O.K. tobacco but nothing really great just a plain and simple burley that seems to have a faint citrus casing. Overall, I was not highly impressed by this blend but also not totally put off by it. I would buy it again if I forget to take tobacco with my on a trip or for a car ride, as it is easy to find and rather cheap. What really stumps me is how can a company produce this tobacco and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic at almost the same price point. For a 25 cents more in my area for a 1.5 oz pouch, you get a tobacco that is of 10 times better quality leaf plus a flavor that is at least as good if not better than most expensive aromatics. Save yourself the trouble, and skip right over the other cheapies at the store and go right for Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic a true sleeper tobacco blend.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I was given some of this by an older gentleman who smoked nothing but this since he was a teenager. This is one of the few blends that I have tried that I have not been able to finish a bowl. I tried to smoke another bowl of this a few days later and had the same results. Yuck!

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I find this one really dull and somewhat bitter as I work my way through a bowl. I find these simple cheap burley blends good to smoke while working, or while doing something else, but I think the bitterness of this one is a little distracting. I feel it doesn't compare well with some of the other grocery store brands and I much prefer Prince Albert as a cheap burley blend over this one. This tobacco burns well as do many of the simple over the counter blends and has a interesting cube like cut. I mixed it with some over flavored sticky aromatics and it improved their burning and toned down their flavor.

Meriadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meriadoc (5)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This blend has all the excitement of Wonder Bread, or Maxwell House coffee made in a percolator. It starts out bland, and maybe turns a little sour by the bottom of the bowl, bringing with it a bit of a bite to the tongue. The one thing it is lacking is some kind of tobacco-like flavor. I suppose one could smoke this for the nicotine, but if you really want an old fashioned "drug-store" blend, stick to Walnut, Prince Albert, or Barking Dog.

Sir Walter is a dark brown, cubed burley that packs as easily as any pouch of "drug store" tobacco on the market today. It has a very typical burley flavor, but unfortunately, it starts to get bitter as you work your way through a bowlful. It does not bite, and if you smoked just the upper half of each load, then it probably would be an all-day type of smoke. And finally, you can't beat the price!

Now then, if interested in a true story about this tobacco, read on. There was a head football coach at Texas A&M by the name of Emory Bellard back in the 1970's (he's the guy who invented the wishbone formation while an assistant coach under Darrell Royal at The University of Texas in the 60's) who smoked the same pipe everyday for 15 years, and puffed on nothing but Sir Walter. He says he finally gave up smoking because the tobacco just stopped tasting good to him. Hey, if I smoked the same pipe everyday - and all day long - for 15 years loaded with Sir Walter, I'd quit too!!!

ZionThePissed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZionThePissed (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This stuff is just plain nasty. I wouldn't even smoke this in one of those Dr. Grabow filter pipes they sell for 10 or 15 dollars....The only person I can think of who would like this crap is a stingy old man suffering from senile dementia. Enough said.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Exactly what I'm looking for when I need a cheap burley to smoke as a no brainer on a hot summer day. Which is to say I don't see myself smoking this very often. I had too try this just to see what it's like and now that I have I will probably not finish the pouch. It has the typical cheap burley sourness in it but doesn't bite much. The cavendish gives it a little sweetness but not much. If I'm looking for something in this vein in the future I will pick up some velvet, same price but much better.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I found this to be one of the most unremarkable, boring tobaccos that I have ever smoked. This is just a plain, old-fashioned, burley smoke. It has a mild pouch and room aroma. It tastes like a plain old burley but it burned a little hot for me and by the end of the bowl it was a tad bitter and burned my tongue a bit. If all you want is an inexpensive, burley smoke with little flavor and no casing, then this is for you. I'll stick to Prince Albert though.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A brand that I tried several times as a teenager. Now, however, it just doesn't offer anything.

First light produces a straight burley with a slight nutty taste. A little bitter as one approaches mid bowl. Flat, grab and forgetable at/near bottom.

Could be a working/fishing smoke but I have another tobacco for this purpose.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

For many years, Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert, together with Borkum Riff, Captain Black and some of Middleton?s Vanilla tasting blends were about the only pipe tobaccos you could get in Mexico. I tried most of them, and I agree with the esteemed lustra in his perception of SWR. At the time I was trying to kick off my addiction to cigarettes (which I finally managed to do a number of years ago), and I remember that both Prince Albert and SWR seemed very good options, because they very much tasted of cigarettes!

SWR is perhaps closer to cigarette taste than PA; I don?t recall any casing and the flavour seemed rather sweet and sour (probably the cavendished leaf), though very subtle and muted. It is a tobacco easy to pack, easy to light and extremely simple to smoke. There are no complexities, no depth, no magic to it. Pack, light and smoke. Because of it mildness it can burn hot and I remember various cases of tongue bite with this one. Yes: given a situation in which no other brands are available, SWR and PA can do the trick, i.e., an illusion of smoking pipe tobacco.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

A few weeks ago, I noticed that a grocery store in my neighborhood carried a large variety of pipe tobacco. Here in Dallas pipe tobacco is getting harder and harder to find outside specialty shops, so I decided to vote with my dollars and try a pouch of everything the grocery store had to offer. So far, I've tried, or re-tried, many of the Great Drugstore Brands: Carter Hall, Mixture 79, Prince Albert, et. al. All of these blends more or less sucked.

But Sir Walter Raleigh is the best of the lot so far. It is a plain chopped burley that smokes, thank Jah, just like a plain chopped burley. That is, it is simple, not heavily cased, and reasonably toothless. Unlike many of the other GDBs, Sir Walter Raleigh is actually pleasantly smokeable. It has a nutty, slightly bitter taste, but no sourness, even at the end of the bowl, and it's not at all bad as a working or walking smoke. SWR certainly won't replace Durbar or Hamborger Veermaster in my affections, but I feel some relief knowing that if I get stuck in the hinterlands without tobacco, I can buy some Sir Walter Raleigh and survive. I'd rather not smoke than have to duel with some of those other Drugstore Grendels.

smokerami Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokerami (3)

It's not that SW is bad, it's just does not have any quailty that would motivate you to smoke it again ... unless you were out of everything. It's a very dull, mild blend ... enough said.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this tobaccco one year while stranded in the mountains without tobacco , along with some other drug store blends . My memory of it is that it is totally unremarkable . Light , bland and flavorless .