A blend of Latakia, cavendish, perique, burley and some kentucky leaf make this a rich and full flavored blend.

BrandSillem's

3.7
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (23)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

Well, you never know what you're going to get in an english blend these days as the field is very crowded and everyone is trying to get your attention. No problem here; this tobacco blend is wonderful and it comes through loud and clear!

First off, some observations based on prior reviews. Mr. Big - we've done it again. I'm first to review this blend after you just as in our reviews of C&D Crooked Lane, however, I seem to like this one more than you do. Jacques 1960 - I agree; the blond bits in this blend are very big and flag-like and must be torn down into smaller pieces. FFDan - I had the same reaction you did on opening the tin. I pulled the paper disc out and thought "what, another rough-cut english". I sniffed it and said to myself "this blend has the same sweetish aroma of the lightly cased Peter Heinrichs english blend #39 that I'm smoking".
Since the're both German-tinned it makes me wonder. Steel Cowboy - this slightly sweet and faint casing must be what you were reacting to in your review. Brother K - I agree, this tobacco blend rocketed right up to the top of my favorites list.

As you can tell, I really like this blend. It smokes wonderfully, thick and creamy and very varigated in its aromas and tastes. It is a delight to look at with its color range from extremely light blond ranging down-scale to very dark brown. I rank it right up there with the likes of Wilderness, Blue Mountain, Ambassador's Blend and Black House. I highly recommend it to all english smokers and rate it a very solid four stars.

Pipe Used: charatan and ashton

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

Purchased From: internet - tsmwhite

Similar Blends: wilderness, blue mountain and black house.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sillim's London Mixture is one of those overlooked gems. I can't but help think that some of the reviews mistook the rich flavor of the blend for “flavoring” as this is not an aromatic tobacco. Either that, or London is being mistaken for Sillim's Black as both tins are black. London is an extremely lightly cased English blend is has very deep rich flavors. I agree with longlost100 that this is a “kitchen sink “blend that offers a lot of complex flavors. I find some bowls to be showing deep Latakia flavor and others the Orientals seem to lead. London can be puffed fairly hard with no tongue bite. I prefer it in a wide bowl and dried out some prior to lighting up. There is an underlying sweetness to London Blend that I find very enjoyable. I think that lovers of McClelland style English blends should have this on the “must try” list. Highly Recommended!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

When selecting this tobacco I just gave a quick look at all the 4 star reviews and made a purchase. This was a mistake on my part, as I now see the Burley/Kentucky components ( I'm not a fan). This results in a very nutty blend, void of all sweetness, and a blend that I find bland and boring. As I puff at this to get some flavor, the Perique starts to "Pepper" my tongue. I'm afraid this will be another tin for the back of my cellar

This was quite tasty. Had it dried out to nearly bone-dry and it loaded and lit well. Plumes of smoke, nice gentle peppery, nutty smoke (slightly salty too). This is a great medium English and I'd like to get my hands on some more of it. Good job fellas!

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (31)

Nothing tricky, weird or even remotely dangerous going on in this round can 'o ribbon, and precious little in the way of fermentation. In other words, Sillem's London Blend is NOT a more approachable version of Sillem's prodigal Commodore Flake (more's the pity...). Instead, LB smokes like a well done but garden variety, lat-forward, medium English blend. The Burley is tamed here, and the Perique and Cavendish manage to soften the Latakia while calling little attention to themselves. Either that or the Latakia makes the other tobaccos "smoky" enough to obscure them. One does get a certain roundness from the Burly that is not often gotten from Virginias. The taste has the requisite "smoke", and there are "nuts", but the thing I like most about this blend is the sour note that starts past 1/2 way and goes on to create a smoke/sour aftertaste that lingers a l-o-n-g time and winds up making me want another bowl, not because I'm not satisfied, but... just because more "sounds good". As far as the quantity of smoke delivered, it is a ribbon, and you will have to figure out how to keep it burning...

Basically, there's little to not like here, as long as you're good with the genre, and you might even like it a lot if the profile alone gets you going. Like I said in my review of COG's Yorke Full Mixture, the English League is tough these days. As for comparing the LB and YFM, they are two well-formed peas in a fairly crowded pod.

Over time I'll re-visit the LB I put in the cellar.

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

Prior to taking up the pipe, I smoked Partagas cigars, having been attracted to the peppery nature of their taste.

While I typically smoke aros, this was a wonderful reminder of all that is good in a truly good cigar.

Truly wonderful, particularly with caffe normale (or otherwise) on the side.

I did not dry the tobacco, and may well do this next time as two relights were required; might also advise a slight rub as some of the blond bits are rather large.

A beautiful smoke.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

Just want to echo all reviews and give this incredible blend some ink. This is what I look for when smoking a "manly" English -- great smell of a European gentlemen's club (that is, the kind without poles on a small stage surrounded by seats of very questionable sanitary condition (not that there's anything at all wrong with that)). Beautifully rich and comforting, but you must like latakia. It's a very crowded space to stand out in but this is one of my top 10s, and top 3 in the English world. Easy light, unrelentingly pleasing smoke and possessed of what seems almost standard-bearing sophistication. That is sure to seem a contrived description, but I can do no better than to say that it's a must have if you like/love, say, Old Dublin, MM 965 or London Blend.

Pipe Used: Guildhall billiard for starters.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com; pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: A few Dunfill Englishes, Peterson's Old Dublin, any number of GLP latakia offerings and H & H Blackhouse/Magnum Opus..

FFDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FFDan (4)

I was a little turned off when I opened this for the first time, but boy what a difference once you smoke it. I am new to the pipe so I still have a lot of learning to do. The initial smell to me was a peppery rubber / tar smell, although I recently bought some Dunhill 965 and it smelled nearly identical, so that must be the Latakia. Anyway, have not tried the 965 so cannot compare the two, but this is a very well balanced english blend that delivers both thick smoke and a good taste. Interestingly enough, the aftertaste is similar to the tin note, despite not smelling or tasting this while it is lit. I recommend giving it a try. I will post an update after I finish the tin.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

My new favorite. Perfection in a pipe. I loaded my first taste into the bowl of my Peterson Kildare and from the moment I lit up I experienced nothing but pleasure. This is an incredibly smooth, flavorful and complex tobacco. Sillem's London blend is perfectly balanced. I love Latakia and this has just the right measure to blend with but not overpower the other tobaccos. The addition of the Cavendish adds a fabulous velvety texture to the smoke. I'm not usually a big fan of Perique but a just enough here is present to add a bit of nice dried fruit essence. I perceived a bit of nuttiness, I believe that must be from the addition of the Burley. No tongue bite, just the right moisture content it burned dry and cool but never acrid. Perhaps it is the Kentucky that helps this blend offer just the right degree of natural sweetness. As for the nicotine content it is not overpowering, something that I appreciated as I don't enjoy tobaccos that are nic-bombs. Most highly recommended. Note: this tobacco is listed here as originating in the UK. It is actually blended in Germany.

gumboman4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gumboman4 (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Love this blend. The latakia takes the center stage in this one giving it a very peppery flavor. The tin I bought was just perfect, not too dry, not too wet. Packed well and took a light right away staying lit through the bowl. Dense cool smoke from start to finish. Will be buying more of this in the future.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)

Objective: This tobacco was still somewhat moist when I got it. This was gifted to me from a friend, and I don't have any idea of availability and/or price since I have not researched it.

Subjective: This packed well, lit easily and stayed lit well through the bowl. Copious amount of cool smoke, which I really appreciated. The Latakia and the Kentucky seemed to be the stars with the perique not really making its presence known, except in the most subtle way. A great tobacco for not having any Orientals, which I favor greatly. Will enjoy the rest of the pouch I have, and may make a purchase for more.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

It's hard to find information on any of Sillem's blends save for 'Black.' I was hesitant to try this one out due to the dearth of informational reviews.

Having said that, this is a great tobacco, albeit one that doesn't have a distinct identity. It has the entire kitchen sink thrown in, so you'll find it showing you different notes during smoking and variations during subsequent smokes.

There's nothing to disappoint here, but little to make it a standout. I compare it to Peter Stokkebye's 'Proper English' save for the Oriental component, which smooths that tobacco out slightly. Nice Latakia component.

Very nice, if not slightly underrated, English blend.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Strong Strong Extra Full Pleasant

This is a very underrated blend, it just goes to show you that people are very influenced by brands and names. I don't know about you but I don't care who's name (brand) is stamped on a tin, if it's good than it's good! What we have here is an excellent English blend that, in my opinion has surpassed Dunhill or any popular blend you have out there. It's complex, full flavored and very satisfying. Go ahead and give this blend a try, if you love your English blends, than you'll love this.

-Essential.

Brother K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother K (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

This is hands down my favorite tobacco. It is my daily tobacco and I always have it on hand when possible. It is the most complex of all the English blends I have tried and found it to be mixed just right, not too strong, not to spicy, but just right. And of course with just the right amount of Nic in it also. This is the tobacco I do not just recommend but I preach.

Try it you will not be disappointed.

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Strong

Very interesting blend. It's like the middle between Old Dublin and Balkan Blend from DTM. more spicy then Dublin and not so spicy like Balkan. A little wet in the tin but it's not problem to smoke it. No bite, nice taste, classical english blend. Burn to white ashes. Room note are not good for non-smokers or danish tobacco lovers. Very nice, i'll put it in my rotation.