Typical full French air cured flavour. France.

Packaging50g Pouch
CountryFR
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Strong, Very Strong
1.5
DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

A friend gave me a packet of this tobacco - as smoked, I'm told, by Inspector Maigret, of whom I'm an admirer (though I notice that Georges Simenon himself, who made a sort of second career of pipe smoking, liked Dunhill Royal Yacht).

Maigret or no Maigret, I have to admit that this is not my kind of thing at all. I'm not all that fussy, and I don't like fancy "boutique" tobaccos, but this is in a class of its own. It's as rough as a badger's ear and completely without frills or pretension: rather like smoking one of those infamous French cigarettes in a pipe. I'm inclined to recommend it somewhat because, for what it is - a rough-and-ready, cheap-and-cheerful "peasant" tobacco - it's a classic, and if you like that kind of thing you'll like this. It comes rather dry in its paper package, and burns away quickly. It doesn't bite you, and it isn't as strong as you might expect, but it certainly isn't for the fastidious palate.

I think French intellectuals of the Sartre/Camus era smoked stuff like this as a matter of principle. It was an experience worth having, but I won't be repeating it. If you like roughing it occasionally, have a go. The room note won't win you any friends.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

The original GRIS GRIS,very French and like Gitanes an aquired taste. A tobacco with few saving graces . Thinking back it was very like Roll Your own tobacco a sort of fine cub cut . In fact i think a made a couple of roll ups with it .But if instant mental transportation to a cafe in say , Lille is what you need then nothing can touch it. Probaley the cheapest stuff you can put in your pipe and with good reason .