Smooth and satisfying Cavendish pipe tobacco.

BrandSavinelli

3.2
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A light, sweet honey casing, fantastic tin note, and a room note that always draws compliments. More importantly, this tobacco burns dry and leaves no goop in the bowl. It actually tastes like tobacco. A very pleasant, mild smoke. I smoke this when I have non-smoking family over, or when I want something of a change. An excellent choice for occasions that call for an aromatic.

Can smoke a bit hot so sip this one slowly to enjoy the honey and vanilla notes without the leftover goop of so many other choices. [edit: age improves this one and diminishes the bite. When aged for a year and dried, this smokes smooth as silk.]

* It should be noted that while the description above indicates contents as black Cavendish, this is nothing like what most Americans would associate with black Cavendish -- no goop, it's not black, it's not sticky. This is a gorgeous, light brown ribbon.

Edit: after living with this blend for a few years, I am raising my review to four stars. For an aromatic, this blend is top notch. For what it is: highly recommended. Improves with age. When on the dry side, this smokes smoothly with no bite, no goop, no nonsense. Delicious honey and brown sugar notes both in flavor and in the room note. A superior, rarely discussed, and under-rated aromatic.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)

It has been my good fortune to have swapped a tin of ghastly Squadron for this tobacco.

Delighfully sweet tin aroma. A little dry perhaps, but then this tin has crossed the Atlantic.

The tin aroma lasts well into the smoke, which is unusual. Usually (particularly with Peterson's) the tin aroma has little bearing on the lit contents.

Takes a few lights to get the core going and seems to be better smoked at one sitting rather than several. I came back to a half smoked pipe straddling dinner and found it burnt hot, still flavoursome but verging on the bitey.

If you like mild aromatics you'll enjoy this one. Reminds me very much of Davidoff's Blue Mix.

You can't buy this in the UK. If you can I've never seen it, which is a shame as I'd happily include this in my rotation.

hunterPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hunterPiper (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Right off, this is my favorite of any tobacco labelled "Cavendish" that I've ever smoked. It has a tin note that is mildly sweet (maybe honey?), with nutty hints. The room note is highly pleasant - reminiscent of autumn evenings when fireplaces are in the air.

I smoke the occasional aromatic (IRC blends and Nording blends) which can often be overly flavored for my tastes. I use the Savinelli Cavendish to cut them and it works very well.

I find that it smokes dryly with a deep, nutty flavor to the end. As with any Cavendish, you want to be careful not to chug on this like a locomotive or you might get a bit of bite - I've not experienced any but the potential seems to lurk in the background.

Four stars for this one!!

Pipe Used: Karl Erik, Savinelli

Purchased From: Bull & Bear, St. Charles, IL - recently closed

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Very good band balanced blend. Easy to smoke and burns well, at any time of day.

My rate: 4.6

arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arbor (9)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really was excited to try this one, but right out of the tin this tobacco was super dry and crumbly. It burned really hot and nothing about it really blew my mind. Not recommended.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (26)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite good for an old style tobacco... but... it doesn't have anything particular attractive for me. Anyway if you are in an old style library or mansion is very compatible with the atmosphere. Recommended, but not for usual consumption, only in a particular context. And one more thing, it has an relaxing mist (but that's all)