Sail Natural is a sophisticated blend of easy burning, rich Burley and mellow Virginia to which smooth tobaccos from Latakia, India amd Indonesia are added.

Notes: Also known as "Ivory"

Historically, Sail was elaborated by the Koninklijke ["Royal"] Theodorus Niemeyer B.V., Groningen, The Netherlands-a company founded in 1819 and purchased by Rothmans International Group in 1990.

On June 7, 1999, Rothmans became a subsidiary of British American Tobacco Industries, p.l.c..

BrandSail
Blended ByRoyal Theodorus Niemeyer B.V.
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
2.4
Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What a difference the tweaking of a blend makes! Much,much smoother than its counterpart Sail Regular and no watery aftertaste. Very well balanced with a hint of cherry(?), hay-like note, subtle nuttiness and just a pinch of smokeiness (the Latakia disguises itself well here). Best of all, these elements stay consistent in the smoke. Here's a helfpul hint when working with SN. Pack light due to the thick tobacco texture and tamper the bowl after a few seconds of being lit. This will garauntee a very rewarding experience, as well as eliminate that dreadful hot air effect. Versatile- behaves well in a briar or a cob. Not very sweet, but very flavorful without the bite. There's seems to be a certain air of mystery to this blend, which makes it that much more fun to smoke. Not to mention a delightful room note, mocha/cherry cordial-like. A nice change of pace and a definite addition my rotation from now on.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)

I don't taste the Oriental or Latakia that Sail's label claim to be in the blend so if you are looking for an English/Balkan blend you will be disappointed. This stuff tastes very much like the Amphora Brown Label that was available in the states 40 years ago. It has a crumble cake and/or broken flake texture. It doesn't bite and it smokes down to a dry white ash.If you like pressed Virginia or Virginia/burley flakes with no chemicals or additives you will likely love this blend. I would prefer something a bit more complex and rich for after dinner or as a nightcap but this blend is great when I'm fishing, hunting, sailing, etc.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I have wanted to try this blend for years being a fan of the Sail Green of the 1970's from curiosity mostly, I guess. The pouch describes a blend of Burley, Virginias, Latakia, Indian, and Indonesian tobaccos. I will assume the last two qualify as "Oriental". Like Sail Green, the Latakia is not discernible or apparent in the smoke. It may well be in there and be missed were it eliminated, but I cannot tell it readily. the same is true of the Virginias.

At first light the impression is a very burley forward blend, the Virginias virtually non-detectable to my palate. Sipped lightly there are some new flavors in there that I assume are from the "Orientals" but it is hard to tell. If there is such a thing as, a paradox, ephemeral smoke, this is it. This first light is pleasant enough but then I fall victim to increasingly pulling on the pipe to coax more flavor from it, to get more smoke to taste. I fail in producing more smoke and invariably scorch my tongue as a reward for my bad form. An interesting note from my perspective is that this reminds me in a way of OLD Sail Green without its topping. The current sail green, while pleasant, was quite different in appearance and taste from the old. It's not a bad smoke; glad I finally tried it.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

When I first started pipe smoking this was a fairly common pouch blend. It is a straight-forward, no nonsense experience for the pipester who wants something that smokes clean and dry. (Unlike Captain Black!)

It is plain tobacco, with the emphasis on plain, and while it isn't exciting, I would be glad to see this behind the counter again.

But those days are long gone...

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Just smoked a bowl of this for breakfast. It's very good and I always enjoy, particularly, for some reason, in the morning.

It's mellow tobacco with a subtle sweetness that dances around with a subtle spiciness. Great aroma and excellent blowing through the nose.

Many have complained that this is harsh or that it can bite, but such is the nature of Dutch and Danish style cavendish. Sorry, but you're simply smoking it wrong.

Go slow, keep it on the verge of going out. It is tobacco to relax with, savor, sip, not to puff away on.

It's not a "complex" tobacco and those that like the cacophony of English blends will be bored with it. To me, it's perfect. Sometimes, complex is just....complex. Complex just to be complex.

A pleasant, natural, simple tobacco and very rewarding if smoked correctly.

UPDATE: Well I ran out of my stash of older Sail Natural and bought a replacement pouch. Very different stuff. The tobacco looks different, plus ANISE! All anise, all the time. Anise, anise, anise. This is the new stuff from British Tobacco and is clearly a completely new recipe. In a word, it's GROSS. Three times I've tried to smoke it and dumped it out every time. If you like licorice or anise, go for it. This has anise out the ying yang. From fourstars down to one. Yuck.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff gets a bad rap from a lot of reviewers. I kind of disagree with the designation "Natural" because there is a noticeable casing on it. It is not the same stuff I used to smoke in the 60's. Latakia? If there is any it is undetectable. Oriental? I can't detect it either. The taste has a chocolate nuance but I can't recognize the flavoring agent which is there despite it being a "Natural" blend. It does seem to be just a bit peppery but it doesn't bite. The main thing is not to over pack it because it has a cut similar to a broken flake. All in all this is just a burley blend with some Virginia in the background. I like it and smoke it once in awhile.

Don't be afraid to try it cause it a reliable smoke that isn't all that bad.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Somewhat bland and inoffensive, but slightly bitey. If it doesn't bite you, it would be good for a light smoke.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

A whole lot of hot air. I get a little nuttiness near the end of the bowl but by then my tongue's burning. Really, why bother.

Toddian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toddian (5)

Good taste, great room note, but far far to harsh, I get wicked tongue bite!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I,d rate this just under the yellow, but equally a very nice surprise, easy smoking dutch blend, still with a slight hint of licorice.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

Smoked a lot of this back in college in the early 70's. Thought I'd try a newer incarnation to see how it was holding up. My opinion is: not bad at all.

I love the broken flake, packs easily and once lit stays that way. In the pack its well....musty...no hint of anything resembling "flavoring". Kept at a slow pace it's a nice smoke. I agree with my pipe smoking colleagues, this seems like mostly a good burley. There is a little "something" that adds a spicy edge, possibly the nearly nondetectable other stuff though I couldn't find anything resembling latakia. Orientals maybe? I forgot how nice the typical dutch cavendish smokes. This is, for want of a better description, the Sir Walter version of dutch tobacco, plain jane, simple and minimal flavor other than real tobacco. Smooth and no bite. Lots of smoke. Nice inoffensive room note. This is one I think I'd like to have around for when I want a milder essentially nonaromatic smoke. And, for whats it worth, it does seem to resemble the 70's blend I smoked back when Nixon was president and I had friends going off to war in the RVN. If you like burley but want to try something a little different, give it a whirl.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

almost flat tasting tobacco, with natural little sweetness tobacco taste, although if i would not be able to get sail green i would choose this one as a daily smoke. no tonguebite, cool smoke, recommanded if you like natural flavor. EDIT i cant find the anise or licorice flavours talked about. and the latakia and orientals are their to add some depth in the blend, you are hardly able to taste them, but im sure without it would taste very different.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Different than Sail Green, the leaf is darker and more of a partially rubbed out flake.

There is a hint of something close to anisette, very faint.

It has to be smoked slowly because it has a tendency to bite.

Otherwise, it is enjoyable and a great change of pace.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I recently came across 1/2 pouch of this which I bought while on vacation in Amsterdam 10 years ago. I haven't smoked any in many years, but the pouch has been properly stored and the tobacco is in good condition, so I'm smoking it right now. It brings back fond memories of the city in which I purchased it. This pouch was manufactured by Theodorus Niemeyer; I don't know who might be making it now. It is a very pleasant VA/Burley/Cavendish mixture with the traditional slightly chocolate aromatic essence. It lights and burns nicely. Unfortunately, as with most Dutch cavendish blends I have tried, it gets a bit caustic half way through a medium sized bowl. It doesn't burn overly hot, it is just abrasive. The flavor is pretty consistent although it gets a bit more flavorful towards the bottom. I will not purchase this tobacco again as it is just too sharp for my palate, but fans of traditional European cavendish blends will probably enjoy it.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is another classic in the pipe smoking world despite the simple presentation in a pouch, without any pretense. But this, as well as Green and Yellow, cannot be considered as drugstore tobaccos; the high quality of the leaf and smoking properties cannot be associated to blends as Borkumm Riff or Captain Black.

As described, the uniqueness of Sail Natural is the addition of tobaccos from India and Indonesia. I will be damned if I can identify those tobaccos against the Burley and Virginias. The pouch aroma is of natural tobaccos. A pleasant background of natural almonds is identifiable as well as a faint sweetness that could be characteristic of a well aged virginia. However, the result is a semi-rich and tasty experience if a minimal attention is dedicated on the smoker's part.

The taste is of pure tobacco which alternates between a subtle sweetness, some smokiness (the Latakia, I would guess but it is difficult to identify any significant proportion)and the nuttiness of the burley. The intensity will increase slightly as the bowl progresses and the nicotine level is satisfying at a minimal level for my own liking. Considering the competitive price, it is hard not to like it very much.

SN smokes well all the way and leaves a nice dry bowl at the end. This will become part of my regular rotation along with S Green and my other favorites.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

Colleagues, this tobacco came as a complete, unexpected, pleasant surprise. This is my first venture with Sail Natural.

SN is more of a ready rubbed mixture than a broken flake. Medium brown leaves with some golden tones. This mixture is definitively one of natural tobaccos. But it is rich, tasty, unveiling a discreet sweet undertone and a decent nicotine level. It burns nicely and dry.

I am not convinced that the burley is the major component because it does not taste like so. And it does not matter. This is a very nice blend, different and unique.

Definitively recommended

I am smoking Sail Natural as I write this review. I still have some from a 20 year old pouch (when it was still being manufactured by Theodorus Niemeyer). It is very smokeable as I keep all of my tobacco in a controlled climate environment. It is a typical, basic cavendish blend. I do like Dutch cavendish style tobacco and have learned to smoke them properly over the years as they all have a tendency to smoke hot. I always enjoyed Sail Natural since it is a simple, basic tobacco, mild in taste - yet spicy - and leaves that "old world" pipey room note. I will order some to see if the resurrected blend now being produced by Orlik is similar. Unfortunately, many of the older tobaccos now produced by other companies these days bear similarities only with regard to their pouch or tin art and not in the smoke. 3 solid stars for the original Sail Natural.

UPDATE 7-25-11: I finally purchased a 5 pack from JR Cigars. Same presentation as before, however, lighter in color as my original was very well aged, resulting in a darker colored leaf. A mild tobacco aroma from a newly opened pouch. Not damp by any means and easy packing/lighting. The overall verdict is a fairly weak tasting mix with the mildest hint of Latakia. Definitely not a strong blend and very little in the flavor department. I do not like the newer version of this much at all. Excepting for the slight mustiness from the Latakia, this is fairlt tasteless. Since I'm not a big fan of Latakia, I won't be re-visiting and downgrading to 2 stars. I'll try to salvage the remaining 4 pouches with some molasses and see what happens.

Dr. Tongue Bite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Tongue Bite (4)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I bought a pouch and cracked open the seal and ughh!! not the best smell. Should be smoked with a larger bowel as tongue bite is high. (Got scorched a couple of times). Once I did get a good rhythm going it is a nice simple smoke ........ thats about it. Ill try it again soon.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I wanted to try this blend, basically so I could wright how bad it was... but I can not do that after trying it. It has a very nice, yet mild, tobacco taste. It is primarily a burly blend that much like Middleton Walnut has some quality tobaccos added in small amounts to add "value" to consumers. There is no latakia taste and very little Oriental. The VA is questionable. I did like how well this blend burns and the fact that it did not bite my tongue. By the last third of the bowl though there was little taste left, and that really kept me from loving this blend. Well atleast I tried it and hey I did not hate it like I thought I would.

Scotto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotto (1)

I smoked the original Sail Tobacco back in the 70s and started smoking it again about a year ago. However, now that it is manufactured by Orlik, I find it to be nothing close to the original tobacco. I bought three pouches and will be throwing two of them in the trash. It is harsh with no redeeming values. Same goes for the Sail Regular.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sail natural has been in my regular rotation for years. This is definitely not a blend for someone new to pipe smoking. This blend is said to have Burley,Viginia,Oriental and Latakia. I feel the amount Latakia used is very small and only makes itself known in the back round. Sail natural must be sipped slowly like a fine wine. If you push it it will bite!! I guess what I really like about Sail natural is it is not flavored and it is a simple blend. I have smoked this in every size bowl however, I find it better in large bowls. Take your time and give it a try. I give this three stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

If this is a combination of Virginias, Burley, Orientals and Latakia, I must say that I only taste the first two, and then a bit of Cavendish.

For a Burley mixture, tongue bite is high and it isn't as tasty as many tobaccos of the same genre. Not bad, but there are many better.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked up several of the 12 ounce tins of these for five bucks apiece on clearance at a local cigarette store. At that price, it was hard to go wrong, even if just to try the tobacco. I can honestly say that, were it not for the bargain price, I would have never bothered with Sail Natural, as it is normally a far overpriced tobacco in my book.

Opening up the can, one is faced with a plastic bag filled with long, dark strips and pieces of partially rubbed out tobacco. The aroma is dry and musty, reminiscent of the old Drum cigarette tobacco. There is, otherwise, nothing remarkable about the aroma or appearance of this blend. Despite the tin's claim of all the different tobaccos that go into it, it smells pretty monotone.

The tobacco was the right moisture, and it packs and lights easily. I find that, as with many MacBaren tobaccos, I must light carefully to avoid a scorched tongue. However, once lit Sail Natural behaves pretty well. There is a slight pepperiness to the flavor, and ocassionally I can detect a bit of sweetness. But overall, it's just a mild tobacco mustiness, punctuated by the natural spiciness. It's actually rather pleasant, as long as it is puffed at a leisurly rate.

So do I like it? This makes a good morning smoke for me, and I truly like it for a wake up smoke. There is something very 'clean' feeling about the way it smokes, and it has a fair nicotine punch. And this stuff does not interfere with the flavors of my morning coffee, even seems to compliment and heighten the flavors in my Kenya AA. I find that the tobacco is far too monotone for my normal smoke, but for that first morning pipe, it does a good job at waking up my palate.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Update 29 oct 2009

I finally decided to try Sail Natural again. This tobacco is very different than what I remember. I don't know what Orlik changed, but it's working. This is a very nice tobacco and a true natural smoke.

The pouch aroma releases a pure tobacco aroma, a bit of smokiness - the Latakia? with a very, tiny, barely perceptible sweet undertone. There are no orientals in there and I cannot say the proportions for the India and Indonesia tobaccos proportions because it is the first time I smoke such varieties.

The tobacco is a broader cut than Sail Green and darker. Mostly medium brown, brown and some golden shades. People present are not incommodated, as during my first experience,quite the contrary. The taste is never as sweet as my first experience either, it's just pure tobacco taste with a bit of spicey undertone. Even if it reveals a real tobacco taste, Sail Natural is not an unidimensional blend, it is rather rich. And smokes very dry, leaving a nice gray ash.

It could bite if pushed, however. I love my english blends, VA/PE, VA flakes and a few selected aromatics. And I really enjoy Sail Natural. It is at its best when smoked indoors, allowing the smoker to fully appreciate this fine natural blend.

I surprise myself, for I reach more and more for it.

Recommended. 3.25/4

_______________________________________

Original review

Alright, this one is a huge contradiction...

When I opened the pouch, I was surprised bu the weird, kind of sour, rance smell. But attracted by the fine, nice ready rubbed acceptable quality leaf. I said "I bougth it, I will at least give it a try".

When I lit up, I was surprised by the awesome, rich, sweet and mellow taste of the tobacco.

When I saw the people I was with react to the room note, I gave out a shy smile and stopped smoking, because they were obviously incommodated by the overwhelming sour smell, but didn't dare say anything. But we know when to not push it, don't we?

I will retry it, out of curiosity, but alone, of course, with the windows sufficiently opened...because the taste was really interesting.

If you smoke it alone,I recommend it. But don't smoke it in company, you will make enemies. That's why I somehow recommend it.

elpheasant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elpheasant (6)

I was interested in trying out a natural blend, so I picked up a pouch of this stuff at a local cigarette shop on my home. When I got home, I opened up the pouch and a sour, rank odor came out. I thought that maybe the tobacco had gone bad or something, but I was still determined to give it a try. It packed pretty easily and didn't require a charring light. There was an immediate flavor of vanilla, but this burned off pretty quickly and left a smooth, natural taste. I was trying to think of what it reminded me of, when it hit me: Backwoods cigars. The smoke was a thin, bluish-white color that smelled pretty nice, not intolerable like non-smokers say about natural tobaccos. About 1/3 of the way down, I started to notice a chocolate taste, with hints of pepper here and there. Every once in awhile, a sour taste like the pouch aroma comes through. It only lasts for one puff, though. This is kind of fun, because you never know when it's going to poke its head out again. The vanilla taste popped up for a little bit, but it went away pretty quickly. The last 1/3 required a re-light, and was pretty much the same taste as the chocolate-and-pepper, but with more natural tobacco flavor, and without the sour surprises. I was startled when it burned out, sicne I was enjoying myself.

Despite what I had read about the difference between natural blends and aromatics, I wasn't too surprised by the taste of a natrual tobacco. I realize this is no full-blown English blend, but it certainly isn't aromatic either. I guess the main difference is that naturals smoke more like cigars- you've got to go slow, or you'll get a bite (and this stuff is a biter).

I especially liked the woodsy, smokey taste and aroma from this tobacco. I think it would make a nice autumn smoke, or good from around the campfire, since it's pretty relaxing but still packs a little punch.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Cool with a nice aroma but not as tasty as Sail regular.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Sail Natural is, ostensibly, the same blend as Sail Aromatic [green pouch], but omitting all the flavouring agents.

If?heaven forfend?Mr Rodgers were to teach the kiddies in Mr Rodgers' Neighborhood to smoke a pipe, this would be the perfect blend to do it with. Is this a Dutchman's idea of a latakia blend?

There is no oriental leaf of any kind in this? nor does the pouch legend claim any, either. I do not see or smell anything remotely like Latakia within the contents of the sachet. Unlit, Sail Natural looks and smells for all the world like...Sir Walter Raleigh...

Mind you, this is quality burley; it is neither sour nor rank; it tastes as bland and neutral as one might expect unadulterated burley to taste. As the bowl progresses, the merest hint of virginia sweetness appears. That is all.

Recommended only to straight-burley lovers.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Sail Ivory was one of the first tobaccos I tried that was not a heavy aromatic. It is a basic Dutch Cavendish, almost shag cut, medium in color, with no casing. I never found any Oriental leaf in the blend, which smokes somewhat on the bland side with minimal aromatic tendencies. Cool enough, fairly dry, but not compelling. Just anoher mosly Burley Dutch blend, good in a pinch, but never my first choice.