Iwan Ries

Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Sail Green is a nice Danish aromatic with Anise topping. Typical of the Sail tobaccos of today, the added flavoring is more pronounced and there is a lack of depth to the tobacco leaf (aged quality leaf was employed when Sail was among the highlight "drugstore" blends of yesteryear).

No tongue bite and a thoroughly pleasant smoking experience for those who enjoy lighter fare.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Haven't tried Sail for 30 years! As others have said, this is definitely not the Sail Green of yesteryear, which I remember as an over-flavoured, rather sticky straight Cavendish. This is a much more balanced mix.

The pouch aroma has the characteristic Sail anise topnote, but much more subdued than I remember. The cut is quite fine ribbon, almost shag, & in the pouch, it is very firmly packed, so I advise a little rubbing. With this cut, I find my "standard" pipe holds less than with other tobaccos: about 1.6 g, versus Amphora 2 g and dense cuts like Broken Flake 3g.

The first half of the smoke is pleasant & light. Towards the end it becomes stronger, with a tarry taste. The last quarter is definitely harsh. It smokes down to the bottom of the pipe (if you wish) but requires several relights. The orientals are not obtrusive, but significant, making this more of an "English" mix than a typical Dutch Cavendish. If I could, I would give it 2 1/2 stars; better than the average "drug-store" tobacco, but not quite up to the standard of a really select blend. For the price, a good smoke.

Re tongue bite, my impression is that it depends on how you smoke it. My first couple of pipes had little or no bite. I then went on a bit of a "binge" and smoked 5 pipes close together for 2 or 3 days. After that, the tongue bite became severe & it took a couple of days for my mouth to recover. Another factor may be whether you leave some dottle in the pipe, or smoke to the bitter end, and how firmly you fill your pipe.

Pipe Used: Carey, Falcon

Purchased From: Save-on-Foods, Victoria, Canada

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Got a free pouch in the mail. Very light pouch aroma for me, slight licorice, burley base. Very long shag must be packed carefully or it simply will not stay lit. I ended up manicuring it with some scissors after several relights and reloads. Very light aroma- I would hardly call this an aromatic, it's mostly a standard 'drugstore' burley smell. Taste is the same, very mild. Room note is ok, cigarette-y. I like it better than other otc's like PA and H&H, except for the cut. Would recommend as a cheap daily smoke for when you want a quick puff between classes or on a break from work- I can dump 3/4 of a bowl and not feel bad (I absolutely hate wasting anything, especially tobacco!)

Edit to add: I get zero tongue bite with this, IDK what everyone is doing wrong when smoking this blend.

Nova Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nova Smoker (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Strong

First off, very ugly pouch art/design, I realize that its a classic that has been around for years but a very dull looking pouch.

In the pouch there is scents of pepper, anise, and fruit, very plummy. This is a very lightly topped smelling and tasting tobacco. Compared to many other aromatics this blend is very lightly flavoured with a predominant tobacco smell/taste complimented by the flavours listed above. A very heavy nicotine punch also, compared to many of the others I have smoked. Smokes very easily down to a fine powder, least dottle of many blends, a faster smoke than I am used to.

Update: This is very 'ghosty' be careful what you smoke this in, because it will be there in the future for some time. Not a bad blend, but an aquired taste I think, its like keiths beer 'those who like it, like it alot' but otherwise stear clear.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Sail Green … It's called an aromatic by the manufacture, so I'll review it as such. The pouch aroma is a typical Danish aroma, no obvious Latalia noted. Unlike Sail yellow this tobacco is almost fully rubbed out, so it can be loaded into a pipe bowl very easily, even while driving. Never liked the pouch / shipping container looks nice, but is not air tight after opening, and I found things dry up way to fast, especially in my truck.

What I like about this stuff is, I believe a great portion of its aromatic qualities come from the clever use of various tobaccos, and not so much on a added topping. A blend of Burley, bright Virginia's and just enough Latakia to add some creaminess and licorice like sweetness, but not enough to taste on its own, just like the pouch description. The final result is a medium bodied smoke, with a typical Danish lightly sweet licorice like flavor, with a mild unknown but complementary topping. Personally I prefer Sail yellow over Green, but many will disagree with my choice, so I guess you'll have to try both and decide for yourself, they're both worth the effort (IMO). To me I get hints of burley throughout the bowl, and believe there is some in this stuff, but overall it's difficult to figure what dominates, if anything. I found no true tongue bit, but a clear tongue tingle, common with most aromatics, for that reason, and others, I would say smoking this concoction slowly is a good idea. My taste for Danish aromatics in general runs hot and cold, I find they will quickly overwhelm my pallet with their strangeness, and I'll happily go back to my straight regulars. But before long when that aromatic craving returns, this stuff is one of 2 or 3 blends I reach for. Well worth a try. As a aromatic, 3 stars. My personal rate 3/5.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Very mild tobacco its don't make a tong bit, may its good for beginner who like something neutral aromatic and mild tobacco its cheap and good but its not a number one tobacco ;)

Pipe Used: Alpascia

Age When Smoked: 38

Purchased From: Holland

Similar Blends: Captain Black regular, Amphora Full Aroma.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a freebie from an online site. Once I could keep it lit, this is not a bad aromatic. Not stellar, but a decent smoke. Mild flavor and strength. Would be a decent beginner smoke as well as a light and easy smoke for the experienced.

Spinerazor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spinerazor (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

i picked up a pouch of this because of the decent reviews, what a mistake... this stuff smells very strong of those tree air fresheners! like a pine smell, really up front, it masks any real tobacco taste. it burns half decent tho and i didnt experience any bite with it. i do not like this stuff at all and the pouch is going into a drawer for a look sometime in the future when i'm out of everything else.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, it says original Dutch Cavendish on the pouch. The pouch aroma is nice, a licorice topping that does not transpire into the smoke. I get a very mild cigarette like Virginia taste with some very mild Burley. Nice combustion, no bite, no pipe gurgling and it burns to a white ash.

I bought this pouch as I forgot to bring tobacco with my pipe and it was the only baccy that I deemed decent from the very poor store selection. I was not disappointed, even if it says Aromatic on the pouch, the taste is more towards natural than towards a topping. Of course a very light tobacco by my standards but I expected worse. Overall a very light aromatic that offers cigarette Virginia tobacco taste with some Burley to settle the topping.

I guess I'm one of few smokers who hasn't experienced tongue bite with this tobacco. The Virginia is grassy and the burleys are a little nutty with not much sweetness. The Orientals are very light and I hardly notice any latakia beyond it giving the slightest flavor push. The anise topping sublimates some of the tobacco taste. There are a few fruity notes and at the beginning, I get some cocoa, too. Overall, it seems to burn okay and does what a pipe tobacco mixture is supposed to do: make smoke. I can't give it more than two stars because it's inconsistently made. I smoked one pouch that was just as I described it earlier. Then, I smoked another pouch that I had bought at the same time from the same place, and it was bland, boring, and missing much of the flavors. Then, recently, I smoked it again and it was very much like my first description. Not sure what I'll get when I buy it makes it hard to rate, but even at its best, I would only give it two and a half stars, one at its worst.

Starbase3055 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Starbase3055 (8)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I am in full agreement with recent posters...the tongue bite is awful. I too tossed this pouch into the trash.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)

I could not get past the tongue bite from this tobacco. As far as aromatics go, I kept asking myself why am I not smoking Captain Black White. I ended up throwing this out (the first pouch of tobacco I ever threw out). Wife barely enjoyed the smell and even asked if it was supposed to be an aromatic.

Barkar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barkar (3)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has very little flavouring, tastes like cigarettes, burns easily, stays lit, tongue bite was terrible. I tried this twice and threw the whole thing in garbage.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Tongue bite, wicked wicked tongue bite. the chemical sweetener used drys my mouth. pretty decent flavor but, please, Olick- lay off those damn low quality toppings.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Strong

Wicked and nasty tongue bite, burns way too hot. Like a grumpy old Badger who's been smoking straight Deertongue . . . a torturing taste-bud scorcher.

Tastes too much like cigarettes, not my preference at all. The room note is quite cigarette-ish as well, with very faint sweetness.

Overall a pipe experience I choose to forget as soon as possible. Only for those with asbestos tongues.

This one shall be swiftly gifted-out to an acquaintance who enjoys rolling his smokes with pipe tobacco.

bearsy87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearsy87 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A reasonably priced "aromatic" that should be tried at least once. It is mild enough to be smoked daily but I think I'll stay away for awhile.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance is a medium to light ribbon. Pouch smells of the confections of yesteryear, allsorts and chocolate covered fruit. Tastes medium sweet and quite tangy.

I would like to ask why buy crap drugstore burleys when there is Sail Green? Sadly, however, this seems to no longer be available in drugstores. It is also now made by Orlik, so that may be why it is not common any longer.

I cannot smoke this more than once a day as it is somewhat sharp on the tongue, not bite exactly but a small nip combined with a flavouring that also causes sensitivity.

All said a nice smoke if you are in the States and there is no tobacconist in town (and you are lucky enough to have found this in a supermarket or drugstore). Recommended!

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (20)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The best I can say about this stuff is that it will not aggravate the people around you when you light it. Latikia? If there is any it would be 1 leaf per ton. Orientals? I can't taste them. There is a fair amount of flavoring in this concoction which kind of reminds me of coco and anise mixed with a lot of Splendia. It is kind of a mix of Burly and cheap Virgina. It burns well with no goop or syrup. I personally prefer the Sail Natural to this stuff. That said, all of the Sail blends are a shadow of what they were in the '60's. I have one pouch of Sail Green left. I will probably croak before I smoke it.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of my favorites. Great pouch aroma; not goopy or overwhelmingly aromatic--just right in my book. Essence of baby powder, cream, butter and caramel greet the nose, if you get a good batch. No Latakia noted.

Smoked it back in the 60's in college (Seton Hall University in NJ)--back then you could roll your own in class & smoke, as long as you brought your own ashtray. I used to roll up a big Sail Green blunt in pink strawberry flavored rolling papers!

Too bad that smokers are now second class citizens and huddle in the shadows, compared to the glory days when you could smoke in your hospital bed as long as there was no O2 being used!

The sense of smell is the only sense connected directly to the brain, unfiltered by any other organ, and is a powerful memory- evoking sensation.

The scent whisks me back to the turbulent mid to late 60's, when I first fell in love. Who among us will forget our first love, when the intensity of youth, hormones, and and a beautiful, vibrant young woman blended to create an irreplaceable life experience that I recall as if it were yesterday. First kiss--on her front porch in the dark. She had butterscotch flavoured lipstick. I was enthralled by the wonder of it all. And this was nearly half a century ago...

Alas, it was not to be. But it was an unforgettable time and a wild ride! Newark summer race riots in '67 (I was right in the middle of that, as I worked at a slum housing project), campus riots (SHU ROTC building set afire, horseback mounted Police with batons cracking heads), RFK, Malcolm X & MLK assassinations, Viet Nam War, Nixon, Woodstock, Cape Cod, CB radio, The Last Whole Earth Catalog, Zap Comics (R. Crumb), the East Village with hippies in Washington Square Park, Fillmore East, McSorley's Tavern (no women allowed at the time), the Electric Circus, the Psychedelicatessen, the Hip Bagel, Third Eye bookstore, Jimi Hendrix at the Cafe Wha, CCR at Madison Square Garden, David Peel and the Lower East Side, the Doors in Asbury Park, rock concerts at South Mountain Arena, Firesign Theater, rose agarbatti incense from India, love beads, vinyl record albums, Zacherley Disc-O- Teen, miniskirts with white Go Go boots.

All this and more from a bowl of Sail Green...

Update: Very poor quality control, though. I recently bought a batch of 5 pouches from the same lot, and they were TERRIBLE-- harsh, sour-smelling and nothing like Sail Green. This may be the reason for the rash of bad reviews...

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a nice sweetness to it. It's not particularly natural, but it's acceptable enough. Lots of anise with a bit of smokiness. I occasionally get a craving for this stuff but it's rarely enough to make me buy another pouch.

J.Singarti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Singarti (3)

This was the first tobacco i purchased. All in all i found it to be a pleasant experience. The bag said it was an aromatic however i never really noticed anything from either the bag nor smoke.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Been smoking this blend for a month as my first pipe on the ride to work with morning coffee. Its a winner in my book.

Smell in the pouch is a grassy Virginia with anise. Pouch description mentions 'mystique of the orient' and 'with a few Latakia leaves'. Couldn't see or smell. Looks like a typical flavored Danish, and a decent quality rubbed out flake.

Its a very balanced blend. Upon light, I found the first part of the bowl sweet and comparable to Hamborger Veermaster. I found this tobacco then settles down to a creamier less sweet flavor. Burn characteristics are well behaved in all pipes. Smokes almost totally down to the bottom of the bowl. Very little dottle.

I give this 4 stars because the flavor I find unique and sometimes find myself craving it. Not replicated in any other blend. Mild but keeps your interest. Hay, cream, anise? Don't know and cant put a finger on it. Really enjoyable.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend tastes the same as it did 35 years ago. It's very similar to the old Amphora brown label. It has decent quality leaf and it behaves well in the pipe. Unlike Borkum Riff, the blending house has not starting using inferior leaf. One of its best traits is that it is not loaded with propylene glycol as most American OTCs are. There are very subtle hints of Latakia, Oriental and Licorice. The combination sounds bizarre but the blender somehow makes it work.

seabilliau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seabilliau (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I cannot nail down what it is exactly I enjoy so much about Sail Green but I do know that I continually crave it. The only word that comes to mind to describe Sail Green is "Creamy". It goes down like a cream-ale with a bit of "spice" sort of like a spiced beer at Christmas time. It has a wonderful flavour that seems to underlie and support, yet without overpowering, the natural tobacco taste like most good Dutch Cavendishes I have tried. The other reviewers can probably better describe exact flavours as I can never really differentiate them (see Christmas note above). I would highly recommend this if you are looking for a robust tobacco with "soft"/medium aroma on top. This is a top notch OTC that is worth a try if you want to get into the relam of Dutch Cavendish. Also, like Sail Yellow (another favorite of mine) it has what I can only describe as a distinct "snap" to its taste simliar to Sail Yellow. I don't know what it is that gives it that snap, orientals maybe, but it definately adds a layer to the spectrum of flavor. Like Sail Yellow, this defniately is not a forgiving tobacco if smoked too hot, for me at least, so watch out. If you try it and don't like it, try slowing down and see what happens. I give it Three Stars and fully recommend. I love Sail Green!

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

as i am looking for a daily smoke.. i might have found it with this sail green,lightly sweet, way way in the background some latakia. no tongue bite can not really say what i taste in the tobacco but i like it very much.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I know, I know, I am an English blend fan who also smokes VaPers, and so what am I going reviewing a blend out or my comfort zone? Answer: nostalgia.

Back in 1965 I began smoking my pipes with old Rum and Maple. After exhausting my father's ignored tin of that I tried a few pouches of John Rolfe before settling on Sail Green for a year or so. After that I began with the Dunhill English blends and stayed English thereafter. But for a few years I did keep a pouch of Sail Green around as an alternative smoke. Back then I could never identify the flavoring of Sail Green. Around the mid 80's it all but disappeared from any source here. I could not even get it when I owned my own supermarket. Reading the reviews here over the past few years piqued my curiosity however and I kept an eye open for some, never finding any locally (and I was not going to do an online purchase of it alone). On vacation in Virginia early this month I found a pouch in, of all places, a "head shop" masquerading as a tobacco shop in my hometown. Over-priced I bought a pouch anyway. The review now commences:

Upon opening my pouch the aroma seemed a little sweet. If there is any Latakia in this, it is well hidden. Turkish may well lurk in it, however, a little at least. The cut is wider than the original I smoked 40 years ago, about twice the width in fact. The tobacco itself is a lot darker as well. The original was more straw colored and in a Margate-like shag cut. This packed easily and lit readily despite the moisture. The burn was surprisingly clean. It does smoke sweeter than that of decades past too. Flavoring....well, the mention of anise here finally struck me as the flavor I could not identify in the past. BUT, despite helping me pick out the flavor of my old smoke, I cannot identify what THIS one is now. No matter, however, I like both. Don't be fooled by that photo above with the tobacco shown about a tin...it is not look at all like that, btw. The pouch says Cavendished Virginias. I believe it - both in cut and in true cavendish processing. The Dutch are masters of that art, IMO. I liked that old Sail Green. And although different, I like the current one as well. The best aromatic OTC blend I know.

(At least I don't anticipate retracting this review)

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

I enjoy Sail green very much.

The pouch aroma and taste makes it unique. And the price is a steal.

This may be considered a drugstore blend but the quality makes it a reliable tobacco which is consistent from one pouch to the other.

I love it.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A nice, reliable and consistant mixture. The partially rubbed-out flakes are medium brown in colour with some streaks of golden brown.

The pouch aroma is hard to define...but pleasant. Not quite exclusively of a casing and not quite exclusively of tobacco.

Labelled as a "drugstore blend" because it is readily available anywhere, I believe this is, despite the negative connotation associated with this class, a very good quality tobacco.

Smokes nicely, releasing something very subtle, similar to a bitterweet chocolate and/or licorice taste with the taste of tobacco.

If dried out sufficiently to remove most of the moisture, it will still preserve its taste and burn dry.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

A nice warm weather blend . The package says a few leaves of latakia . mildly aromatic . cleanburn . A little spicy . a touch warm but no big deal .Theres enough nicotine so that when you finish a bowl youre good to go . The spicy thing is the best part of it . There's not alot out there that has a true spicy flavor but this does ... It's in my rotation all the time anymore . Update: NOV.6 2010 ... Turns out this is a good winter blend . An all year blend . It holds it's own in the cold very nicely

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

I wanted to like this blend in the worst way. Being a Canadian, our tobacco selection is limited to sail green(sometimes yellow)captain black white and borkum riff whiskey and the odd Brigham blend pops up now and again, even amphora is getting scarce. that being said, ive since ordered most of my daily's from online retailers and take the duty hit at the border. Upon opening the pouch the aroma was mildly sweet, but reminds me of wet leather and white rum. The cut was perfect, consistant while the moisture content was a little too damp for me, but nothing a little "airing out" wont fix. Upon lighting i was hit by a fierce force of heat and spice that was very unsavoury and quite unwelcome. i couldnt detect any Latakia or Orientals, or any casings or toppings either the heat took the lime light and masked all flavour and tobacco taste. The room note was equisite and divinly sweet, but i couldnt make any connnection with that and the vile weed i had packed in my pipe. The flavour was that of Mesquite and aromatic cedar not quite what i had bargained for, this blend actually reminds me of Troost special cavendish(which is not a compliment)another hot as hell blend. So I sat on it over night and figured i had smoked it too fast(which i tend to do)the next day i packed it into a bent billiard Danish largo, which i thought was fitting due to this blends origins........the same result, possibly worse. Third times the charm they say so i decieded to rub some out in my palms and stuffed it in a Diplomat cob with a charcoal filtre. The rubbing flattened out the heat a bit, but it was still awfully hot, and the nicotine hit left me with one hell of a headache. I may have got that "bad batch" that some smokers describe probably to defend those tried and true OTC blends, but i truly think this is just junk. Being a very young man in the pipe smoking world, i never had the opportunity to smoke the original, but i hope it was better than this crap. At 21.50 a pouch here in Canada i dont think i will visit this one again, but i will try the other sail blends just so i can put this one to bed. This stuff may be heaven for a leather tounged old timer but not for me.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)

Sail Green is a classic and reliable "drugstore" blend that is actually of above average quality.

The slight licorice aroma is everpresent and tickles the tongue the first minutes of the bowl, then makes place for a more natural tobacco taste for the remainer of the bowl.

I love the pouch aroma and I buy a couple pouches every once in a while when I want to smoke a good no nonsense tobacco.

My last smoke of sail Green was about 3 months ago when I smoked the last remaining pipeful from a 20 year old pouch. It was quite pleasnt. Although mild, there was a subtle taste of Latakia and what also seemed to be a chocolate flavor. It seemed to smoke less hot than both Sail Regular and Sail Natural. It was also darker in color and a finer cut than the other two. As stated in my recent reviews of Sail Regular and Natural, I will have to smoke the newer Orlik version and take it from there. My order of preference for the original 3 Sails is the Natural, followed by the Regular, and then the Green. 3 stars for the Green original.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Lads, I must say this is one blend, as Johannus Christus puts it, that is always consistent pouch after pouch.

It is also a blend that has come back regularly in my life and has never disapointed me.

After all, what is more relevant for me than the image of a sailboat, even small? It brings back quite some memories of heaving in lines and the fresh, crisp and pure smell of the ocean!

But this review is about this spendid little reliable and so inexpensive blend called Sail Green, not about the sailing souvenirs of my youth, prior to crossing the line (get it?) to the warships.

SG is a nice long cut mixture of virginias, burleys, orientals and, apparently, latakia. The pouch aroma is sweet and the room note Mrs First Sealord friendly. The first minutes might sometimes tickle the tip of my tongue, without biting and the taste, even though mild and subtle at times, is still satisfying.

Yes, this is definitively a classic in our world. A beautiful tobacco.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

Surprisingly, Sail green is one of the rare tobaccos I have smoked consistently over the 21 years that I have been a pipe smoker. Actually, it was the second tobacco I ever tried (Sail was then offering, besides the yellow and ivory pouches, also the blue, brown, red and black pouches).

This tobacco is easily available, from the established tobacconist to the grocery store or convenience store, which is convcenient.

This tobacco expresses my need for simplicity, in its most positive term. Sometimes, I am not in a mood to prepare my flakes, put my hands on a tin, spend any amount of time in preparing my tobacco or feeling "dandy" about it. Sometimes, all I want is a pouch to get a hold of, just like my grandfathers did. Pouches are extremely practical as one can put them anywhere and they are a lot more flexible than tins. And none of the tins have these famous sailboats that give an immediate sense of relaxation and generates a strong desire of being on the sea.

Sail Green's aroma is still quite a little mystery to me. I could never quite attribute a name to it. Its combination of sweetness (honey?),slight spiciness and the good old aroma of tobacco is extremely appealing to me. The room note is never a source of complaint from my better half.

Sail Green never disappoints me. It is always nice and easy to smoke and, despite a little unidimensionality, it is always equal to itself and consistent pouch after pouch. It is an extremely reliable product. It always smokes dry until the end and contributes nicely to bowl caking for new pipes.

Sail Green IS a GREAT classic tobacco that almost every pipe smoker has tried at least once in his (and her, let's not forget Gae) life. For those who haven't tried it yet, all I can say is sometimes, all you need is a pouch of Sail green to be very happy.

Highly recommended!

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

According to the pouch this is made in Denmark by Orlik. Its a coarse cut tobacco with what I perceive is a very mild vanilla scent in the pouch. In the pouch it is quite damp and its easy to clump the tobacco in your hand. In fact when I opened the pouch I had to literally separate the 50g chunk into its coarse shreds just so I could pack my pipe. The majority of the tobacco is Burley with a few bits of dark Virginia. I don't see any orientals nor Latakia. But what I do see is quality.

My first mistake was not allowing the tobacco time to air out and dry up a bit. In my haste to try this blend I went straight from pouch to pipe......it lit easily enough but the last quarter of a bowl would not burn...it was just too wet and I knew it from how smooth it was to smoke to upon reaching the quarter bowl the smoke became a harsh steamy draw.

My second mistake was using a Brylon straight Yello-Bole. This tobacco burns hot, though the smoke drawn was mellow and relatively cool, and surprise, surprise, fairly dry. But burning such a moist bakkie in a straight pipe is just a no-no....all that gurgle and moisture end up in the mouth really fast near that quarter full mark.

I let it breathe and dry out for 6 hours and loaded my favorite full bent Briar. Lit easily and stayed lit with occasional light tamping. The draw fills the mouth with a very mild and dry smoke which I find tastes of nothing, but I don't usually taste anything with just about everything.

This, in my opinion is not an aromatic at all compared to a black Cavendish C.B. Royal. But as I understand it, Europeans view the term aromatic somewhat differently than North Americans.

The room note is not offensive but don't expect sweet odors...to me it simply smells like mild tobacco note with perhaps just a mild wisp of vanilla. My wife thinks it smells great.....its one of her top ten favorite smokes as well....yeah she also smokes pipe.

What I like the most about this blend is how smooth and mild it is. I found no tongue bite and I'm a fairly heavy puffer. I could smoke this stuff all day....and I do except for when I want nice odors where I reach for my C.B. Royal, and at the end of my day when I always reach for my Blatter & Blatter Mild English.

If you like a really mild smooth smoke like I do, you have to give this one a go. Just don't expect much and you'll be rewarded with nice smooth ride. Just be sure to let it dry out first or you'll be very unhappy.

I guess I love this tobacco for what it doesn't have...tongue bite and a rancid room note. Beginners especially should give this a try.

Dr. Tongue Bite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Tongue Bite (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A nice mild aromatic tobacco. Nice once and a while, but I got tired of it easy. Ill recommend it but would choose other readily available ones over this one. Would not recommend for aromatic smokers as the room note is poor.

Rebo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rebo (3)

I picked this up based on the many positive reviews. I didn't really care for it. Not sure why. For a drug store tobacco it's made with quality leaf. I've tried other Danish blends and didn't like them either. It's probably me. That's why I still somewhat recommend it. It's not bad tobacco and a lot of people seem to like it. It's just not my cup of tea.

ACS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACS (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Definately, anise is the major flavouring component. My experience was that it was pretty cool-burning.Not a very full-flavoured tobacco. I DO recall seeing Sail Green pouches as a kid in the late '70s-early '80s. BTW: I enjoyed it smoked in a homebrew corncob/delphinium stem pipe (try this!), in addition to my usual briars and mini meersch.

Despite its name, Sail Aromatic is an almost natural mixture (mildly cocoa flavored) with no tongue bite. The Latakia is very subtle, with lemmon Virginias dominating the smoke, backed up by sweet Orientals.

Along with Walnut, my favorite "readily available" tobacco.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know if Theodorus Niemeyer Co., the blenders of Sail, issued this line as a direct competition with D&E (the original blenders of the Amphora range), but I was under the impression that Sail was a mirror of some Amphora blends (i.e.: Sail yellow being almost an exact replica of Amphora's Regular, in the brown pouch).

To me, Sail Green was a market response to Amphora's green pouch: a concoction of Burleys, Virginias and Orientals, heavily doused or infused with a chocolate/vanilla sauce. Maybe it was the other way around. In any case, Sail Green while not as strong and aromatic as its Amphora counterpart, was a good, steady and reliable aromatic smoke, very well prepared, with a nice nose. It is also definitley better than Sail's Black Cavendish (which, by the way, has not yet been included under the brand's listings).

There is a certain chocolate undertone to it, that made it palatable, but, at least for me and unlike Sail Yellow, not a regular smoke. The aftertaste was for me somewhat stale and dry. I always found I needed to drink a glass of water after a pipeful of Sail Green.

A good aromatic choice if you find it. Simple, mild to medium, on the dry side, and not too sweet, but sweet enough to remind you this is a full sail aromatic.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I'm a fairly new pipe smoker, after years of smoking menthol cigarettes. I'm trying many tobaccos and have found that this one has a place in my tackle box, tool box, truck console...it's a good, cool smoke with a nice taste and aroma. Give it a try and you'll find a mild, inoffensive, (probably a little too bland for the more mature pipe smoker) smoke you will want to keep around for a change of pace.

Samurai Barry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Samurai Barry (6)

Sail green I used to smoke back in the 70s. I enjoyed it then. However, I gave up the pipe when I had a daughter (didn't want to give a bad impression). As my daughter is now on her own, I have resumed the pipe. I tried Sail green recently and it brought back memories of years gone by. However, I had forgotten one negative thing about it...it burns VERY hot. A churchwarden would be the pipe to use for this blend, if not a hooka. If you smoke it slow, it minimizes the bite. Other than that, I found it a very nice readily available blend. The tobacco strength is a good medium which blends the various tobaccos together into a very nice and unique smoke. Like the MacBaren's blends, there's no mistaking what you are smoking. The latakia tends to hide in the other aromas, but every now and then you get a hint of something that MUST be latakia, but that's OK as I enjoy the overall aroma which makes its sum greater than its whole. I recommend it with a caution...it does bite, so smoke it slow.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find Sail Green to be a pleasant smoking mixture.What makes the blend so nice is that you get plenty of tobacco taste from the virginias while the orientals and latakia add their share of taste,they don't dominate.The casing is something special as well,it's has a milk chocolate character to and it,and there's something else in it that reminds of marshmallow in a way.The casing reminds me of those tastey little marshmallow bunnies that come out for sale every easter.The blend is very nice:)

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (37)

As aromatics go, this one is rather inoffensive. That is, the aroma will not get you thrown out of the house and the taste will not blow you away. I think that someone looking to try Virginia or Oriental tobacco should give this one a try. For myself, though not an expert, I became very bored with this blend. For the price, it could have been a lot better. And, the traditional tongue-bite associated with aromatics is here, as well. The nicotine level is low and I found myself wishing to have a smoke while still puffing on this stuff. The moisture level in the pouch was perfect and the cut made it easy to fill a medium pipe. I guess I like a little more bang for the buck!

mortal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mortal (3)

This is a good basic tobacco.It will not bugger up your pipe with any goo as it burns very well and fairly thoroughly leaving only grey ash once finished.This is a good thing.Packing my pipe was a snap and the only tongue bite was from my own style of smoking.I'm still a noob. I did not notice too much of a room note but what I did smell was pleasant enough. I do find it a bit bland but taste is generally a matter of personal preference.A cup of coffee did bring out a very pleasant chocolatey flavour,however. All in all this is a three star tobacoo for it's quality burn and ease of use.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

As others have stated before: one of the best supermarket blends. It is like an sweet and spicy meal (spice is delivered by the Orientals, and maybe the Latakia - if it is really in there, I can't detect it). By the way, I think the Orlik version is better than the original Niemeyer tobacco.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

The tin of Sail that I tried was 15+ years old, so I am not sure if the recipe has been changed since then or not. The tobacco packs well and smells like a drugstore tobacco with a very small amount of Latakia. There is not much in regards to oriental tang but it does impart a coolness to the blend. I did not notice any tongue bite or other "cheap tobacco" tricks. The blend is not going to be confused with a high quality English blend, but overall is not bad, even if it is a bit one dimensional.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

I had never seen this anywhere except online,and had always wanted to give it a try. Saw a picture of Walter Cronkite with a pouch. Lo and behold, I found one fluke pouch at the local cig shop. I picked it right up, though it seemed to have been there awhile. On opening, it was a darkish uniform brown, with a stringy shag cut to it. Fairly moist, but not wet or gooey. The aroma was nice, sort of licorice and chocolate. It packed nicely and lit right up. I had to watch it or get a little tongue-bit, but it tasted and smelled wonderful, and only took a few relights. I smoked mine almost exclusively in a well broken-in cob, often in the morning, and it was fine for that time of day. If you're able to find this readily wherever you are, don't hesitate.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

This is an update post. I just smoked a couple of pouches of Troost Special and I really enjoyed it. With that in mind, I decided to venture for my favorite Dutch blend, Amphora Red. Turns out the one place you can obtain this stuff if you live in the States only takes PayPal. Since I re-introduced my pallette to Dutch blends I figured I'd give Sail Green another shot, beings I haven't had it in about 12 yrs. To my suprise it is still the best out of the Sail blends. Lightly aromatic, cool, smooth, satisfying, good tasting,and a pleasant room note. The Latakia peeks through here and there and is not present in the aroma, so don't go expecting a Penzance like aroma! The flavoring seems to be anise and cocoa. So I ordered a five pack! It's not Amphora Red but it's close to the green. It's better than Flying Dutchman or Sail Natural which I find too bland. The price is right too! I can't afford $40.00 a month for Sam Gawith Kendal Blends, which im tired of anyway. Troost Special and Sail Green hit the spot! Troost slices would be a real treat, but I think im going to be out of luck searching for that as well. I'll be sticking with Sail Green and Troost Special for a long time. Another Update!!! I just got an older batch of Sail Green from the British-American INC. era, and it's a lttle different than the new Orlik version. The Orlik version is actually better! The tobacco is moister, sweeter, richer, and has a better aroma. The B&A version is a bit drier, not much, just a tad, and the flavor is a bit less intense as well as the aroma. For once a company gets bought out by another and actually improves the product! Im Shocked!

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've not had Sail Green in a very long time (15+ years), and it's nice to see that this blend did not change. This is one of the better aromatics, and the Virginia tobacco is of good quality for a bargain blend.

After re-aquainting myself with Sail Green, I will definately keep a pouch around.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

With the exception of Haunted Bookshop, this is the only non-latakia blend I smoke regularly. (OK, the label says there are a few latakia leaves in here, but I can't discern them.) This is the best Dutch cavendish blend I know of and the only thing remotely approaching an "aromatic" that ever fills my pipe.

It's not hot or bitey, smells delicious in the pouch, and packs easily. It has a rather intense scent when burning; sweet, yes, but never cloying. I get hints of nutmeg and vanilla, even of deer tongue, though this blend does not have any of that herb (though I understand Sail Green does contain coumarin, which might explain the similarities). This is drug store tobacco of unusual quality and consistency, rich but mild, satisfying in a way that I rarely find with non-English blends.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)

Back in the 80s, the esteemed journalist Walter Cronkite was interviewed by TV Guide (probably about his retirement). He was pictured with a pipe in his mouth and there was a pouch of Sail Green on his desk. Of course. I had to try it. So I went to the nearby grocery store and puchased a pouch. There was a slight aroma upon opening. Nothing terrible, mind you, maybe it was the anise another reviewer mentioned. It was a pretty decent smoke as far as drug store tobaccos are concerned. My impression was it was a bit flat. However, that may have been because I had been smoking a series of drugstore tobaccos with flavorings; not something on the more natural side. Admittedly, it had been six months or so since latakia had brushed my palate. If you are a beginner wanting to ease your way into trying Balkans/Englishes or if you are visiting friends/relatives and it is looking to get stormy outside and your tobacco supply is nearing its end, by all means go out and buy a pouch of this blend.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Regrettably, I have to downgrade this to two stars. While I still feel that it is a three star in the category-it really pales in compairson to the more natural tobaccos I have been smoking.

Origial Review:

Sail is the finest tobacco that you will ever buy at a gas station or convenience store. It exhibits many qualities of very fine quality tobaccos while having the availability of much letter tobaccos (i.e. Captain Black or Borkum Riff).

Though it isn't a standout in any category, with its slow burning broken flakes, a topping that doesn't interfere with the tobacco and a great smell-Sail seems to do everything more than adequately. It isn't wet or goopy, nor does it bite. It stays lit, doesn't burn hot so its good to smoke indoors or out. It isn't overpowering with nicotine, which is a plus in my books.

I taste mostly Virginia tobacco with some Orientals. I cannot detect Latakia or Burley, their presence must be either very small and/or masked by the casing, which smells of anise but does not impart more than a mild flavour on the tobacco.

If you are ever in the market for tobacco and it happens that there is no good tobacconist around, you can always count on Sail to provide a good, cool, reliable smoke!

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

When I have a nostalgic impulse for a nice, no non sense or pretentious tobacco, with a tendency on the mild side, I always turn to Sail green.

A nice drugstore tobacco, available everywhere from the tobaconnist to the supermarket counter, this nice bakkie never disappoints me.

The aroma is distinctive, spicy and sweet, with the undertone of orientals. I cannot detect any Latakia, there is barely any dark leaf in there. It's a nice ready rubbed cut with a fair proportion of long loose cut.

Even if, most of the time, I will not finish the pouch - because thos moods never last long- I thouroughly and happily enjoy Sail green!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

I'm partial to Dutch tobaccos. While Sail Green is no Troost Slices, Green and its sibling, Sail Yellow, are IMHO the finest drugstore blends available in the U.S.

Flavorful, aromatic and well behaved, you'll not do much better than this one when buying in a drugstore setting.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As noted by others, this is not an "aromatic" in the standard American sense. Sure, there's some kind of casing, but it isn't heaped on - it's a dab of something extra, and quite pleasant.

I wouldn't call this a super smooth blend - there's some peppery undertones here, and smoked fast, this blend could bite. I would attribute this possibly to the burley or Va rather than the orientals.

The oriental content of this blend keeps it from being totally mundane... just a slight dark hint all the way through. I suspect further Latakia would be a nice addition. (Think of this as a VERY light English).

Mid bowl, this stuff is at it's best, with the anise just peeking through the Va/Burley sweetness and the oriental depths.

Not bad considering you can pick it up absolutely anywhere. A pleasant and reliable "emergency" tobacco.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Sail Green is, like others here have said, one of the better mass-market ("drugstore") tobaccos available. The casing, which seems to be anise/licorice and honey, isn't overpowering, and the natural tobacco flavors are allowed to come through. The pouch aroma reflects the honey-licorice flavoring. I've never found Sail Green to be overly moist or "goopy" like some cased aromatics; its moisture level is usually close to ideal. It packs easily, and there are no problems firing it up or keeping it lit. The basic flavor is that of a decent mild Virginia, slightly sweet and quite smooth. The Orientals add a subdued smoky, spicy flavor which stays well in the background. The Latakia is barely present, but I suspect I'd miss it if it weren't there. About mid-bowl, the anise flavoring becomes more noticeable, and it does seem to linger in the pipe for a while after a smoke; an inexpensive pipe, like a corncob, is ideal for Sail Green. Room note is quite pleasant and may even earn a few compliments. Sail Green is a good choice to take along on a road trip or just about anywhere when venturing away from home, if it happens to be one of the rare places where smoking is still tolerated. It's reasonably priced, but can be more difficult to find than other mass-market tobaccos like Capt. Black and Borkum Riff.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

I smoked a lot of Sail, mostly the yellow, way back in college. I recently left on a driving trip and picked up a pouch of Sail green. I have to agree with others who have commented that it's one of the nicest "off the shelf" tobaccos around. I loaded up a bowl, lit up and was rewarded with a nice medium bodied/minimally cased smoke. I thought once or twice I may have found the latakia but it's not anywhere near the forefront. Not the usual aromatic. A lot of the tobacco taste comes through augmented by what seems to be a hint of licorice. Nice slow burner for those times when you want your pipe to last. At the end a very dry pipe and little dottle.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

This is a pleasant, quite lightly cased tobacco. I never found the latakia or the orientals others have mentioned, but it was rather tasty for a pouch blend. It reminded me of Kentucky Club, but with an added casing of light vanilla and a fresh, almost grassy flavor similar to fresh cut clover.

Sail Green is a easy going blend for those times when you need a plain simple smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Of the many Dutch and Danish delights that I enjoy (Troost Slices are the supreme exemplars) Sail Green is not amongst the least. I cannot see, smell or taste the latakia in this blend, but the room note has some of the sweet and sour redolence of Oriental leaf. Whatever the constituents, they are very well put together for a delightful smoke.

Smoking this after a long gap I found the tobaccbe a little more moist in the tin than I remember from the pouches, but the cut, taste and flavour were the same. A light weight treat which pleases others as well.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My father smokes this as an every day smoke. I latch onto it for a couple of days here and there and quite enjoy it from time to time. Nice and satisfying, it's just strong enough to be a good outdoor smoke and I find that it definately is something I reach towards during the early spring and late fall when the weather gets a little nippy or windy and I pine for the bracing effect of a bowl of strong tobacco going along with the taste of strong coffee. The "aromatic" moniker should be taken lightly, as this is NOT an "american" aromatic, nor is it a cavendish in the sense of the goop that comes out of a jar somewhere. The flavoring has a touch of liquorice in it, as well as the barest lurkings of some mild latakia which swirl together to make this a very enjoyable smoke. I like this better than the yellow Sail. All in all, the cut is typically skandinavian and I find that this smokes well out of one of my tall straight billiard chimneys.

Slightly better than Stokkebyes Skandinavik, but not as interesting as Troost, this is one of the better of the pouch imports available today.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I always associate Sail Green with an old man sitting alone in a cabin, waiting for trapping season, surrounded by empty tins.

Recently I got a hold of an older pouch of Green. I revived its contents with the help of a thin slice of a tart apple, waited a few days, and then smoked a few bowls. The pouch scent suggests licorice, but in a very subtle way. The smoke is plain and simple, and it even gets a bit more bitter toward the second half of the bowl (which should please even diehard 965 fans). It may not sound it, but I really ejoyed this gentle old standard and look forward to it as a standby. Maybe that's what happened to that old man too.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Found this one at a gas station in my small town one summer. Turned out this was the favorite blend of the only other pipe smoker that I know of in my town. They kept in on hand for him so I thought I would give it a try. Really found it quite enjoyable. They say it has Latakia in it and I must say I never could single it out, however the blend is very tasty. It has really good tobacco flavor and some sort of a topping that I could never really identify. I probably smoked three packages of it before I needed a change and now they don?t carry it anymore. Seems my other pipe smoking friend in town kicked the habit (due to his wife?s complaining!) Would certainly like to try the yellow if I ever run across it.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An old blend that seems to have held up very well over the years (heavens, I still remember the TV ad for it!), and as fate would have it, my every day smoke at the moment.

In my circumstances an every day blend must be tasty, but not overpowering, easy on the tongue, easy to smoke, and, certainly not least, easy on the wallet. In my area Sail is the cheapest thing going, by quite a bit. And I quite like it, so I smoke it!

There is a lot of tobacco action going on, Virginias, burleys, some Java (thanks to the former Dutch colonies), and a smidge of Latakia that plays hide-and-seek with one's taste buds. Plus a casing of liquorice, vanillin, and rum. Just a mouthful of flavour that is forever subtly changing, staving off tastebud boredom. So I don't feel hard-done by that this is what I smoke the most of during the week.

By the by, it's not that my tastebuds have become educated; http://www.bat-ingredients.com will reveal all!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Everyone has a certain tobacco that they judge a touch less harshly than all the rest, be it due to a pleasant experience, memory , et al. Green Sail occupies that place for me. It looks odd in company of my old, strong tobaccos, rather like the pizza delivery boy in the biker bar. Its flavour is mild, smoke is gentle and aroma is unique. I like a bowl of it now and then, when my palate has had Latakia overload, or rubbing out isn't so appealing. I suppose the reasons I have kept it around over the years are twofold: its plainess is unobtrusive and when the thought police kick in my door this is most likely the one tabak they'll overlook...

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had pretty bad experiences with drugstore brands. I once bought a pouch of Backwoods; a soggy heavily cased tobacco that will ruin any pipe, quite an unpleasant experience. I tried Amphora original and it tasted and smelled like cigarettes with a nasty bite. So I abandoned this variety and moved on to enjoy the higher quality brands, particularly english and balkan blends.

Recently however, my curiosity lead me to purchase a pouch of Sail Aromatic (Green Pouch)And to my surprise, this stuff was quite good. It had a perfect moisture level and burned nicely. When I oppened the pouch, the first aroma that hit me was of anise. As it cleared, the scent seemed to be mostly of chocolate and raisins, Glosette Raisinettes Candy? The taste resembled the aroma with a little musky nuttiness. The room note is pleasant and not overwhelming. Oh and did I mention that it's inexpensive?

I think I will turn to this when I'm in the mood for something a little sweet, or if my favorites are running low.

Update 26/12/02: Well, after 20 bowl fulls or so, my opinion of this tobacco has changed. I find it to be very bland and boring, kinda like smoking paper. I can also sense a chemical like bitter taste that tends to linger after a smoke session, possibly from the humectants. No more OTC tobacco for me.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

After several nights in a row smoking my "heavier" blends, this is one of those blends that can place a "Twinkle" back in my wife's eyes; replacing the "Evil Eye" of the previous evenings. (Although I must admit, I usually try to increase the cloud of smoke as to avoid "Medussa's Glare", just kidding, er, sort of).

A nice mild blend for that change of pace from full-blends. As for the casing, a mild chocolate? Maybe a semi-sweet for that matter. The Latakia is on the light-side, but then again, it does not tout itself as an English.

The tobacco burns clean and is best when smoked slowly. I have several pipes that I devote to this type of blend.

A pleasant change, and as others have said, you can pick up a quick pouch almost anywhere.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

It's fun to be able to just walk into a grocery store and buy pipe tobacco, isn't it? Don't think I don't relish the exotica of modern pipe smoking, which seems half gourmandizing and half espionage, but buying tobacco with no more effort than a stroll to the corner store is a real treat. Sail Green is not the world's best tobacco--it bites some and the taste, a sort of dusky nuttiness, probably isn't for everyone. But this tobacco is cut well, it won't gum up your pipe, and it smells good to people around you. It's also a bargain, compared against your average fifty-gram tin of perfection. I like the taste, and find this to be a pretty good working tobacco--unobtrusive yet flavorful, and tolerant of careless technique. It's also mild enough that you can smoke it any time, whether or not you've eaten. For those of us who live on deadline, and who often wake to tea and tobacco and an urgent need to write 2000 words before a decent breakfast, easiness on the stomach is a great and good thing. As with any aromatic, I wouldn't smoke this in your best flake pipe, but that caveat aside, I like this stuff and am usually happy to smoke it.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As I am a devotee of SAIL REGULAR (Yellow Pouch), I thought I would refresh my mind about this mix. In the sachet, it smells exactly like the Regular; but this is a ribbon-cut, typical Dutch Cavendish: it fills and fires easily, and burns cool and dry. A most well-behaved blend.

Whereas the Yellow is sweet and surprisingly intense, and the Natural [Ivory] clean but bland, this one is quite deliciously Oriental, nutty, velvety?a kind of featherweight Sobranie. The emphasis is on featherweight, for, if there be indeed "a few Latakia leaves" in this mix, I certainly cannot either taste or see them. But the result is not bland; it is quite delightfully delicate.

Undoubtedly there is a topping here, but this is not a heavily cased mix; for one thing Virginia cannot be heavily cased, for another, I cannot taste any gunk in the smoke, which is as cool and dry as anything I have ever burnt in a pipe.

I normally prefer lusher fare, but this is unmistakably wonderful, all in all.