Sail Aromatic combines the mystique of the Orient with bright, clear Virginia leaf. The result is a pleasant blend that never offends nor tires. A few latakia leaves add to the lasting charm of the recipe.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Taste

2.6
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Sail Green is a nice Danish aromatic with Anise topping. Typical of the Sail tobaccos of today, the added flavoring is more pronounced and there is a lack of depth to the tobacco leaf (aged quality leaf was employed when Sail was among the highlight "drugstore" blends of yesteryear).

No tongue bite and a thoroughly pleasant smoking experience for those who enjoy lighter fare.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Haven't tried Sail for 30 years! As others have said, this is definitely not the Sail Green of yesteryear, which I remember as an over-flavoured, rather sticky straight Cavendish. This is a much more balanced mix.

The pouch aroma has the characteristic Sail anise topnote, but much more subdued than I remember. The cut is quite fine ribbon, almost shag, & in the pouch, it is very firmly packed, so I advise a little rubbing. With this cut, I find my "standard" pipe holds less than with other tobaccos: about 1.6 g, versus Amphora 2 g and dense cuts like Broken Flake 3g.

The first half of the smoke is pleasant & light. Towards the end it becomes stronger, with a tarry taste. The last quarter is definitely harsh. It smokes down to the bottom of the pipe (if you wish) but requires several relights. The orientals are not obtrusive, but significant, making this more of an "English" mix than a typical Dutch Cavendish. If I could, I would give it 2 1/2 stars; better than the average "drug-store" tobacco, but not quite up to the standard of a really select blend. For the price, a good smoke.

Re tongue bite, my impression is that it depends on how you smoke it. My first couple of pipes had little or no bite. I then went on a bit of a "binge" and smoked 5 pipes close together for 2 or 3 days. After that, the tongue bite became severe & it took a couple of days for my mouth to recover. Another factor may be whether you leave some dottle in the pipe, or smoke to the bitter end, and how firmly you fill your pipe.

Pipe Used: Carey, Falcon

Purchased From: Save-on-Foods, Victoria, Canada

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Got a free pouch in the mail. Very light pouch aroma for me, slight licorice, burley base. Very long shag must be packed carefully or it simply will not stay lit. I ended up manicuring it with some scissors after several relights and reloads. Very light aroma- I would hardly call this an aromatic, it's mostly a standard 'drugstore' burley smell. Taste is the same, very mild. Room note is ok, cigarette-y. I like it better than other otc's like PA and H&H, except for the cut. Would recommend as a cheap daily smoke for when you want a quick puff between classes or on a break from work- I can dump 3/4 of a bowl and not feel bad (I absolutely hate wasting anything, especially tobacco!)

Edit to add: I get zero tongue bite with this, IDK what everyone is doing wrong when smoking this blend.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Another lightweight. I couldn't really place the topping so I'll go with aniseseed, close as anything I can come up with. Burns well, not much going for it in my book but tolerable and allows you to focus on other tasks at hand.

Purchased From: pandc

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As I am a devotee of SAIL REGULAR (Yellow Pouch), I thought I would refresh my mind about this mix. In the sachet, it smells exactly like the Regular; but this is a ribbon-cut, typical Dutch Cavendish: it fills and fires easily, and burns cool and dry. A most well-behaved blend.

Whereas the Yellow is sweet and surprisingly intense, and the Natural [Ivory] clean but bland, this one is quite deliciously Oriental, nutty, velvety?a kind of featherweight Sobranie. The emphasis is on featherweight, for, if there be indeed "a few Latakia leaves" in this mix, I certainly cannot either taste or see them. But the result is not bland; it is quite delightfully delicate.

Undoubtedly there is a topping here, but this is not a heavily cased mix; for one thing Virginia cannot be heavily cased, for another, I cannot taste any gunk in the smoke, which is as cool and dry as anything I have ever burnt in a pipe.

I normally prefer lusher fare, but this is unmistakably wonderful, all in all.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked this blend more than I thought I would. I'm not blown away by it, but I like it just fine.

The pouch note and the taste line up pretty well, being equal parts mild aromatic and English. The overall smoke I get is medium in flavor, splitting down the middle between basic aromatic and a really tasty English. Sometimes one takes the forefront, but overall it's a balanced smoke.

The only gripe I have is that occasionally a "kinda-cheap" tobacco taste comes through, mostly as an aftertaste but never lasting long. I only had it bite a little once, but that can probably be attributed to the fact I was smoking in a strong wind.

A darned good smoke for the price, but I don't see myself going out of my way to buy it again. If you can get it where you live though, you should give it a try.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Straight from the pouch this one bit me often and required many re-lights. Experimented at several moisture levels and had the best luck when it was very dry, but not bone dry. Then I got a pleasant smoke, but a good bit of the topping disappeared as well. The anise flavor was pretty much cut in half. Still it was a mild, pleasant smoke that no longer bit. Can only go 2 stars here.

Mild in body and flavor. Only burns well when dry.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have smoked Sail Green on and off for almost a decade and in that time it has gone from finding very dry and dusty pouches in midtown Manhattan (probably late 90's pouches) to fresh, newly manufactured pouches made by Orlick. I have both an old pouch that has been in my humidor and a new one side by side. The new pouches I got from Pipes and Cigars have a much milder Cocoa aroma with the leaf looking like it is consisted of better quality Virginia and Burley. Either way I enjoyed my new pouch and will purchase more. This is not an aromatic in the American sense, it is a Dutch Cavendish so it is not sticky or goopy and will dry out if left on a plate. DGT's very well and I truly enjoy the aroma both lit and unlit. Remember though that just like Macbaren's blends these are made for Europeans that almost exclusively employ filters so if you find this bites or burns try using a filter. Try some its pretty good!

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Similar Blends: Macbaren Virginia #1 , Van Rossems - Troost Special Cavendish, Skandinavik - Skandinavik Regular.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, it says original Dutch Cavendish on the pouch. The pouch aroma is nice, a licorice topping that does not transpire into the smoke. I get a very mild cigarette like Virginia taste with some very mild Burley. Nice combustion, no bite, no pipe gurgling and it burns to a white ash.

I bought this pouch as I forgot to bring tobacco with my pipe and it was the only baccy that I deemed decent from the very poor store selection. I was not disappointed, even if it says Aromatic on the pouch, the taste is more towards natural than towards a topping. Of course a very light tobacco by my standards but I expected worse. Overall a very light aromatic that offers cigarette Virginia tobacco taste with some Burley to settle the topping.

The Virginia is citrus and grass, and forms the base of the blend. In support, the burleys are a little nutty with not much molasses. The buttery sweet and lightly sour, woody Orientals are in the background. There's just enough smoky woody Cyprian latakia to give this a slight flavor push. The anise topping sublimates some of the tobacco taste. There are a few fruity notes and at the beginning, I get a few notes of cocoa. The nic-hit is mild. Burns slightly warm at a slightly more than moderate pace, but doesn't bite. Leaves a little dampness in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. I can't give it more than two stars because it's inconsistently made. I smoked one pouch that was just as I described it earlier. Then, I smoked another pouch that I had bought at the same time from the same place, and it was bland, boring, and missing much of the flavors. Then, recently, I smoked another pouch, and it was very much like my first description. Not sure what I'll get when I buy it makes it hard to rate, but even at its best, I would only give it two and a half stars, one at its worst.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of my favorites. Great pouch aroma; not goopy or overwhelmingly aromatic--just right in my book. Essence of baby powder, cream, butter and caramel greet the nose, if you get a good batch. No Latakia noted.

Smoked it back in the 60's in college (Seton Hall University in NJ)--back then you could roll your own in class & smoke, as long as you brought your own ashtray. I used to roll up a big Sail Green blunt in pink strawberry flavored rolling papers!

Too bad that smokers are now second class citizens and huddle in the shadows, compared to the glory days when you could smoke in your hospital bed as long as there was no O2 being used!

The sense of smell is the only sense connected directly to the brain, unfiltered by any other organ, and is a powerful memory- evoking sensation.

The scent whisks me back to the turbulent mid to late 60's, when I first fell in love. Who among us will forget our first love, when the intensity of youth, hormones, and and a beautiful, vibrant young woman blended to create an irreplaceable life experience that I recall as if it were yesterday. First kiss--on her front porch in the dark. She had butterscotch flavoured lipstick. I was enthralled by the wonder of it all. And this was nearly half a century ago...

Alas, it was not to be. But it was an unforgettable time and a wild ride! Newark summer race riots in '67 (I was right in the middle of that, as I worked at a slum housing project), campus riots (SHU ROTC building set afire, horseback mounted Police with batons cracking heads), RFK, Malcolm X & MLK assassinations, Viet Nam War, Nixon, Woodstock, Cape Cod, CB radio, The Last Whole Earth Catalog, Zap Comics (R. Crumb), the East Village with hippies in Washington Square Park, Fillmore East, McSorley's Tavern (no women allowed at the time), the Electric Circus, the Psychedelicatessen, the Hip Bagel, Third Eye bookstore, Jimi Hendrix at the Cafe Wha, CCR at Madison Square Garden, David Peel and the Lower East Side, the Doors in Asbury Park, rock concerts at South Mountain Arena, Firesign Theater, rose agarbatti incense from India, love beads, vinyl record albums, Zacherley Disc-O- Teen, miniskirts with white Go Go boots.

All this and more from a bowl of Sail Green...

Update: Very poor quality control, though. I recently bought a batch of 5 pouches from the same lot, and they were TERRIBLE-- harsh, sour-smelling and nothing like Sail Green. This may be the reason for the rash of bad reviews...

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Sail Green … It's called an aromatic by the manufacture, so I'll review it as such. The pouch aroma is a typical Danish aroma, no obvious Latalia noted. Unlike Sail yellow this tobacco is almost fully rubbed out, so it can be loaded into a pipe bowl very easily, even while driving. Never liked the pouch / shipping container looks nice, but is not air tight after opening, and I found things dry up way to fast, especially in my truck.

What I like about this stuff is, I believe a great portion of its aromatic qualities come from the clever use of various tobaccos, and not so much on a added topping. A blend of Burley, bright Virginia's and just enough Latakia to add some creaminess and licorice like sweetness, but not enough to taste on its own, just like the pouch description. The final result is a medium bodied smoke, with a typical Danish lightly sweet licorice like flavor, with a mild unknown but complementary topping. Personally I prefer Sail yellow over Green, but many will disagree with my choice, so I guess you'll have to try both and decide for yourself, they're both worth the effort (IMO). To me I get hints of burley throughout the bowl, and believe there is some in this stuff, but overall it's difficult to figure what dominates, if anything. I found no true tongue bit, but a clear tongue tingle, common with most aromatics, for that reason, and others, I would say smoking this concoction slowly is a good idea. My taste for Danish aromatics in general runs hot and cold, I find they will quickly overwhelm my pallet with their strangeness, and I'll happily go back to my straight regulars. But before long when that aromatic craving returns, this stuff is one of 2 or 3 blends I reach for. Well worth a try. As a aromatic, 3 stars. My personal rate 3/5.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Been smoking this blend for a month as my first pipe on the ride to work with morning coffee. Its a winner in my book.

Smell in the pouch is a grassy Virginia with anise. Pouch description mentions 'mystique of the orient' and 'with a few Latakia leaves'. Couldn't see or smell. Looks like a typical flavored Danish, and a decent quality rubbed out flake.

Its a very balanced blend. Upon light, I found the first part of the bowl sweet and comparable to Hamborger Veermaster. I found this tobacco then settles down to a creamier less sweet flavor. Burn characteristics are well behaved in all pipes. Smokes almost totally down to the bottom of the bowl. Very little dottle.

I give this 4 stars because the flavor I find unique and sometimes find myself craving it. Not replicated in any other blend. Mild but keeps your interest. Hay, cream, anise? Don't know and cant put a finger on it. Really enjoyable.

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Strong

I know that this blend has been around for a while and has its devotees... but I frankly do not enjoy it. I feel like it's trying to do and be too many things at once and falling short on all fronts. I expected for it to be perhaps a bit more of a "traditional" danish and that expectation may have tripped me up. The addition of latakia as well as the anise top-flavoring really crush the bright, sweet virginias and mellow burleys that one generally expects from a danish aromatic. There are far better expressions of the style available.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Very mild tobacco its don't make a tong bit, may its good for beginner who like something neutral aromatic and mild tobacco its cheap and good but its not a number one tobacco ;)

Pipe Used: Alpascia

Age When Smoked: 38

Purchased From: Holland

Similar Blends: Captain Black regular, Amphora Full Aroma.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a freebie from an online site. Once I could keep it lit, this is not a bad aromatic. Not stellar, but a decent smoke. Mild flavor and strength. Would be a decent beginner smoke as well as a light and easy smoke for the experienced.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

I could not get past the tongue bite from this tobacco. As far as aromatics go, I kept asking myself why am I not smoking Captain Black White. I ended up throwing this out (the first pouch of tobacco I ever threw out). Wife barely enjoyed the smell and even asked if it was supposed to be an aromatic.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Strong

Wicked and nasty tongue bite, burns way too hot. Like a grumpy old Badger who's been smoking straight Deertongue . . . a torturing taste-bud scorcher.

Tastes too much like cigarettes, not my preference at all. The room note is quite cigarette-ish as well, with very faint sweetness.

Overall a pipe experience I choose to forget as soon as possible. Only for those with asbestos tongues.

This one shall be swiftly gifted-out to an acquaintance who enjoys rolling his smokes with pipe tobacco.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The best I can say about this stuff is that it will not aggravate the people around you when you light it. Latikia? If there is any it would be 1 leaf per ton. Orientals? I can't taste them. There is a fair amount of flavoring in this concoction which kind of reminds me of coco and anise mixed with a lot of Splendia. It is kind of a mix of Burly and cheap Virgina. It burns well with no goop or syrup. I personally prefer the Sail Natural to this stuff. That said, all of the Sail blends are a shadow of what they were in the '60's. I have one pouch of Sail Green left. I will probably croak before I smoke it.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend tastes the same as it did 35 years ago. It's very similar to the old Amphora brown label. It has decent quality leaf and it behaves well in the pipe. Unlike Borkum Riff, the blending house has not starting using inferior leaf. One of its best traits is that it is not loaded with propylene glycol as most American OTCs are. There are very subtle hints of Latakia, Oriental and Licorice. The combination sounds bizarre but the blender somehow makes it work.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

I know, I know, I am an English blend fan who also smokes VaPers, and so what am I going reviewing a blend out or my comfort zone? Answer: nostalgia.

Back in 1965 I began smoking my pipes with old Rum and Maple. After exhausting my father's ignored tin of that I tried a few pouches of John Rolfe before settling on Sail Green for a year or so. After that I began with the Dunhill English blends and stayed English thereafter. But for a few years I did keep a pouch of Sail Green around as an alternative smoke. Back then I could never identify the flavoring of Sail Green. Around the mid 80's it all but disappeared from any source here. I could not even get it when I owned my own supermarket. Reading the reviews here over the past few years piqued my curiosity however and I kept an eye open for some, never finding any locally (and I was not going to do an online purchase of it alone). On vacation in Virginia early this month I found a pouch in, of all places, a "head shop" masquerading as a tobacco shop in my hometown. Over-priced I bought a pouch anyway. The review now commences:

Upon opening my pouch the aroma seemed a little sweet. If there is any Latakia in this, it is well hidden. Turkish may well lurk in it, however, a little at least. The cut is wider than the original I smoked 40 years ago, about twice the width in fact. The tobacco itself is a lot darker as well. The original was more straw colored and in a Margate-like shag cut. This packed easily and lit readily despite the moisture. The burn was surprisingly clean. It does smoke sweeter than that of decades past too. Flavoring....well, the mention of anise here finally struck me as the flavor I could not identify in the past. BUT, despite helping me pick out the flavor of my old smoke, I cannot identify what THIS one is now. No matter, however, I like both. Don't be fooled by that photo above with the tobacco shown about a tin...it is not look at all like that, btw. The pouch says Cavendished Virginias. I believe it - both in cut and in true cavendish processing. The Dutch are masters of that art, IMO. I liked that old Sail Green. And although different, I like the current one as well. The best aromatic OTC blend I know.

(At least I don't anticipate retracting this review)

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

A nice warm weather blend . The package says a few leaves of latakia . mildly aromatic . cleanburn . A little spicy . a touch warm but no big deal .Theres enough nicotine so that when you finish a bowl youre good to go . The spicy thing is the best part of it . There's not alot out there that has a true spicy flavor but this does ... It's in my rotation all the time anymore . Update: NOV.6 2010 ... Turns out this is a good winter blend . An all year blend . It holds it's own in the cold very nicely

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

I wanted to like this blend in the worst way. Being a Canadian, our tobacco selection is limited to sail green(sometimes yellow)captain black white and borkum riff whiskey and the odd Brigham blend pops up now and again, even amphora is getting scarce. that being said, ive since ordered most of my daily's from online retailers and take the duty hit at the border. Upon opening the pouch the aroma was mildly sweet, but reminds me of wet leather and white rum. The cut was perfect, consistant while the moisture content was a little too damp for me, but nothing a little "airing out" wont fix. Upon lighting i was hit by a fierce force of heat and spice that was very unsavoury and quite unwelcome. i couldnt detect any Latakia or Orientals, or any casings or toppings either the heat took the lime light and masked all flavour and tobacco taste. The room note was equisite and divinly sweet, but i couldnt make any connnection with that and the vile weed i had packed in my pipe. The flavour was that of Mesquite and aromatic cedar not quite what i had bargained for, this blend actually reminds me of Troost special cavendish(which is not a compliment)another hot as hell blend. So I sat on it over night and figured i had smoked it too fast(which i tend to do)the next day i packed it into a bent billiard Danish largo, which i thought was fitting due to this blends origins........the same result, possibly worse. Third times the charm they say so i decieded to rub some out in my palms and stuffed it in a Diplomat cob with a charcoal filtre. The rubbing flattened out the heat a bit, but it was still awfully hot, and the nicotine hit left me with one hell of a headache. I may have got that "bad batch" that some smokers describe probably to defend those tried and true OTC blends, but i truly think this is just junk. Being a very young man in the pipe smoking world, i never had the opportunity to smoke the original, but i hope it was better than this crap. At 21.50 a pouch here in Canada i dont think i will visit this one again, but i will try the other sail blends just so i can put this one to bed. This stuff may be heaven for a leather tounged old timer but not for me.

My last smoke of sail Green was about 3 months ago when I smoked the last remaining pipeful from a 20 year old pouch. It was quite pleasnt. Although mild, there was a subtle taste of Latakia and what also seemed to be a chocolate flavor. It seemed to smoke less hot than both Sail Regular and Sail Natural. It was also darker in color and a finer cut than the other two. As stated in my recent reviews of Sail Regular and Natural, I will have to smoke the newer Orlik version and take it from there. My order of preference for the original 3 Sails is the Natural, followed by the Regular, and then the Green. 3 stars for the Green original.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had pretty bad experiences with drugstore brands. I once bought a pouch of Backwoods; a soggy heavily cased tobacco that will ruin any pipe, quite an unpleasant experience. I tried Amphora original and it tasted and smelled like cigarettes with a nasty bite. So I abandoned this variety and moved on to enjoy the higher quality brands, particularly english and balkan blends.

Recently however, my curiosity lead me to purchase a pouch of Sail Aromatic (Green Pouch)And to my surprise, this stuff was quite good. It had a perfect moisture level and burned nicely. When I oppened the pouch, the first aroma that hit me was of anise. As it cleared, the scent seemed to be mostly of chocolate and raisins, Glosette Raisinettes Candy? The taste resembled the aroma with a little musky nuttiness. The room note is pleasant and not overwhelming. Oh and did I mention that it's inexpensive?

I think I will turn to this when I'm in the mood for something a little sweet, or if my favorites are running low.

Update 26/12/02: Well, after 20 bowl fulls or so, my opinion of this tobacco has changed. I find it to be very bland and boring, kinda like smoking paper. I can also sense a chemical like bitter taste that tends to linger after a smoke session, possibly from the humectants. No more OTC tobacco for me.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

After several nights in a row smoking my "heavier" blends, this is one of those blends that can place a "Twinkle" back in my wife's eyes; replacing the "Evil Eye" of the previous evenings. (Although I must admit, I usually try to increase the cloud of smoke as to avoid "Medussa's Glare", just kidding, er, sort of).

A nice mild blend for that change of pace from full-blends. As for the casing, a mild chocolate? Maybe a semi-sweet for that matter. The Latakia is on the light-side, but then again, it does not tout itself as an English.

The tobacco burns clean and is best when smoked slowly. I have several pipes that I devote to this type of blend.

A pleasant change, and as others have said, you can pick up a quick pouch almost anywhere.

Jjgerv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jjgerv (20)

Another Dutch-style cavendish recently discontinued. Sure it must be a style in ways of extinction.

The green Sail is a wonderful tobacco. The dedication in the tobacco process is noted. It is smooth, very easy to smoke, and nevertheless interesting as not to tire. The flavoring is discreet, it lets you notice the taste of good quality tobacco.

It is the kind of mixture that can be recommended to those who have prejudices against aromatics.

taima Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taima (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My grandpa's favorite. I smoked this in one of my smaller briars, as well as one of my larger cobs.

This stuff smells amazing out of the pouch, something like a mix of berries and licorice to me; it's a bit sticky, but not too moist. I almost want to eat it, it smells so good. Anyway, I dried out a bowlful a bit and packed it.

It's a bit hard to get lit well initially. After that, it burns with a very mild flavor; it tastes maybe slightly sweet and a little peppery. Snorking makes the pepper more intense. The first third is a bit airy, incredibly mild. The roomnote is inoffensive.

The second third picks up a bit. Some stronger licorice notes come into play, and the pepper notes become more pronounced. It's easy to keep the bowl lit, and it burns dry with little need for attention here. I began to feel the nicotine about halfway through and it was a nice moderate dose.

Although the tastes are nearly absent in the beginning, the pepper and licorice become very well-pronounced near the end. Unfortunately, I find the taste becomes awful before the bowl becomes mostly dottle, so I have to dump out a little more than I'd like.

All in all, the tobacco burns alright, has some pleasant (but mild) flavor, though unfortunately abbreviated, and has a passable room note. Green Sail is better than Captain Black and Prince Albert, but would perhaps do better if mixed with some English.

Pipe Used: Corncob, brier

Purchased From: Internet

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend isn't bad. I had a pouch lying around in my pile-'o-tobacco, so I figured I'd give it a shot since I hadn't smoked it yet. I loaded up a MM Hardwood with it and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the pouch aroma - Virginias with notes of dark fruit, vanilla, and anise. The cut was odd to me: almost a broken flake, but yet not as coarse. I really don't know how to describe it. At any rate, it packed pretty easily and took flame immediately. The smoke was creamy, yet light. The aroma was pretty good, providing a light room note that was (to my nose) vanilla scented. The taste was of vanilla with a slight anise flavor and a little nuttiness provided by the burley. I have no idea where the Latakia is in this blend, as I haven't noticed even a hint of it. It's a good OTC that I can see keeping around from time to time. It provides a decent nicotine hit and a good flavor that satisfies me. Good workshop tobacco, and a great mild aromatic.

Pipe Used: MM Hardwood, Cobs

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a decent blend. In the Sail line, this is the full flavor blend. Sail Yellow would be the medium flavor blend, and Sail Natural would be the mild. That said, this is still a decently mild blend. Its sweet, like fruit. The virginias make themselves known. There is a little nuttiness, which comes off more in the room note than anything. There is also a bit of a flavoring that does more to unify the flavors than to add to them. It can bite a bit if its fresh. It should be smoked slow, and could be rubbed out a bit. I like this blend a lot. It is not a aromatic...not really. It tastes like tobacco through and through. If you like Dutch Cavendish, VA/BUR blends, or are just looking for a tasty change-of-pace, I would recommend Sail Green...

Despite its name, Sail Aromatic is an almost natural mixture (mildly cocoa flavored) with no tongue bite. The Latakia is very subtle, with lemmon Virginias dominating the smoke, backed up by sweet Orientals.

Along with Walnut, my favorite "readily available" tobacco.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know if Theodorus Niemeyer Co., the blenders of Sail, issued this line as a direct competition with D&E (the original blenders of the Amphora range), but I was under the impression that Sail was a mirror of some Amphora blends (i.e.: Sail yellow being almost an exact replica of Amphora's Regular, in the brown pouch).

To me, Sail Green was a market response to Amphora's green pouch: a concoction of Burleys, Virginias and Orientals, heavily doused or infused with a chocolate/vanilla sauce. Maybe it was the other way around. In any case, Sail Green while not as strong and aromatic as its Amphora counterpart, was a good, steady and reliable aromatic smoke, very well prepared, with a nice nose. It is also definitley better than Sail's Black Cavendish (which, by the way, has not yet been included under the brand's listings).

There is a certain chocolate undertone to it, that made it palatable, but, at least for me and unlike Sail Yellow, not a regular smoke. The aftertaste was for me somewhat stale and dry. I always found I needed to drink a glass of water after a pipeful of Sail Green.

A good aromatic choice if you find it. Simple, mild to medium, on the dry side, and not too sweet, but sweet enough to remind you this is a full sail aromatic.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)

As aromatics go, this one is rather inoffensive. That is, the aroma will not get you thrown out of the house and the taste will not blow you away. I think that someone looking to try Virginia or Oriental tobacco should give this one a try. For myself, though not an expert, I became very bored with this blend. For the price, it could have been a lot better. And, the traditional tongue-bite associated with aromatics is here, as well. The nicotine level is low and I found myself wishing to have a smoke while still puffing on this stuff. The moisture level in the pouch was perfect and the cut made it easy to fill a medium pipe. I guess I like a little more bang for the buck!

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

I had never seen this anywhere except online,and had always wanted to give it a try. Saw a picture of Walter Cronkite with a pouch. Lo and behold, I found one fluke pouch at the local cig shop. I picked it right up, though it seemed to have been there awhile. On opening, it was a darkish uniform brown, with a stringy shag cut to it. Fairly moist, but not wet or gooey. The aroma was nice, sort of licorice and chocolate. It packed nicely and lit right up. I had to watch it or get a little tongue-bit, but it tasted and smelled wonderful, and only took a few relights. I smoked mine almost exclusively in a well broken-in cob, often in the morning, and it was fine for that time of day. If you're able to find this readily wherever you are, don't hesitate.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)

Back in the 80s, the esteemed journalist Walter Cronkite was interviewed by TV Guide (probably about his retirement). He was pictured with a pipe in his mouth and there was a pouch of Sail Green on his desk. Of course. I had to try it. So I went to the nearby grocery store and puchased a pouch. There was a slight aroma upon opening. Nothing terrible, mind you, maybe it was the anise another reviewer mentioned. It was a pretty decent smoke as far as drug store tobaccos are concerned. My impression was it was a bit flat. However, that may have been because I had been smoking a series of drugstore tobaccos with flavorings; not something on the more natural side. Admittedly, it had been six months or so since latakia had brushed my palate. If you are a beginner wanting to ease your way into trying Balkans/Englishes or if you are visiting friends/relatives and it is looking to get stormy outside and your tobacco supply is nearing its end, by all means go out and buy a pouch of this blend.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As noted by others, this is not an "aromatic" in the standard American sense. Sure, there's some kind of casing, but it isn't heaped on - it's a dab of something extra, and quite pleasant.

I wouldn't call this a super smooth blend - there's some peppery undertones here, and smoked fast, this blend could bite. I would attribute this possibly to the burley or Va rather than the orientals.

The oriental content of this blend keeps it from being totally mundane... just a slight dark hint all the way through. I suspect further Latakia would be a nice addition. (Think of this as a VERY light English).

Mid bowl, this stuff is at it's best, with the anise just peeking through the Va/Burley sweetness and the oriental depths.

Not bad considering you can pick it up absolutely anywhere. A pleasant and reliable "emergency" tobacco.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

I smoked a lot of Sail, mostly the yellow, way back in college. I recently left on a driving trip and picked up a pouch of Sail green. I have to agree with others who have commented that it's one of the nicest "off the shelf" tobaccos around. I loaded up a bowl, lit up and was rewarded with a nice medium bodied/minimally cased smoke. I thought once or twice I may have found the latakia but it's not anywhere near the forefront. Not the usual aromatic. A lot of the tobacco taste comes through augmented by what seems to be a hint of licorice. Nice slow burner for those times when you want your pipe to last. At the end a very dry pipe and little dottle.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

This is a pleasant, quite lightly cased tobacco. I never found the latakia or the orientals others have mentioned, but it was rather tasty for a pouch blend. It reminded me of Kentucky Club, but with an added casing of light vanilla and a fresh, almost grassy flavor similar to fresh cut clover.

Sail Green is a easy going blend for those times when you need a plain simple smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Of the many Dutch and Danish delights that I enjoy (Troost Slices are the supreme exemplars) Sail Green is not amongst the least. I cannot see, smell or taste the latakia in this blend, but the room note has some of the sweet and sour redolence of Oriental leaf. Whatever the constituents, they are very well put together for a delightful smoke.

Smoking this after a long gap I found the tobaccbe a little more moist in the tin than I remember from the pouches, but the cut, taste and flavour were the same. A light weight treat which pleases others as well.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My father smokes this as an every day smoke. I latch onto it for a couple of days here and there and quite enjoy it from time to time. Nice and satisfying, it's just strong enough to be a good outdoor smoke and I find that it definately is something I reach towards during the early spring and late fall when the weather gets a little nippy or windy and I pine for the bracing effect of a bowl of strong tobacco going along with the taste of strong coffee. The "aromatic" moniker should be taken lightly, as this is NOT an "american" aromatic, nor is it a cavendish in the sense of the goop that comes out of a jar somewhere. The flavoring has a touch of liquorice in it, as well as the barest lurkings of some mild latakia which swirl together to make this a very enjoyable smoke. I like this better than the yellow Sail. All in all, the cut is typically skandinavian and I find that this smokes well out of one of my tall straight billiard chimneys.

Slightly better than Stokkebyes Skandinavik, but not as interesting as Troost, this is one of the better of the pouch imports available today.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Found this one at a gas station in my small town one summer. Turned out this was the favorite blend of the only other pipe smoker that I know of in my town. They kept in on hand for him so I thought I would give it a try. Really found it quite enjoyable. They say it has Latakia in it and I must say I never could single it out, however the blend is very tasty. It has really good tobacco flavor and some sort of a topping that I could never really identify. I probably smoked three packages of it before I needed a change and now they don?t carry it anymore. Seems my other pipe smoking friend in town kicked the habit (due to his wife?s complaining!) Would certainly like to try the yellow if I ever run across it.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Everyone has a certain tobacco that they judge a touch less harshly than all the rest, be it due to a pleasant experience, memory , et al. Green Sail occupies that place for me. It looks odd in company of my old, strong tobaccos, rather like the pizza delivery boy in the biker bar. Its flavour is mild, smoke is gentle and aroma is unique. I like a bowl of it now and then, when my palate has had Latakia overload, or rubbing out isn't so appealing. I suppose the reasons I have kept it around over the years are twofold: its plainess is unobtrusive and when the thought police kick in my door this is most likely the one tabak they'll overlook...