A Virginia blend of three different lightly sweet and
very mild tobaccos together with an exceptionally
mild top flavour make this light and mellow tobacco,
which can be smoked throughout the day. When fully
rubbed out this tobacco develops its typical full
bodied sweet aroma.

Taste
3.1
TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Rotary Navy Cut… A large flake, which asks the smoker to tear off what he feels to be a pipe full, from the top layer. Tin aroma is of tobacco with an additional odor of probably evaporated rum, a very familiar aroma. Some would say the moisture content is just right, but for me, I like my flakes to almost crack apart when stuffed, so my flakes were dried before smoking. Flake color runs from yellow to brown, with a few darker specks. Looked interesting.

After a normal bowl load up and first char light, it took the second match nicely, and my first test cruise was underway. Following a few full draws, the first thoughts that came to mind was “mild, if not too mild but very smooth”, thankfully followed by some increase in strength as the bowl burned down, enough to be noticeable and make the event well worthwhile. Flavor wise, very satisfactory, with some sweetness and many of those delicate Virginia notes, we all look for. There is not supposed be any burleys in this blend, but a faint burley taste seemed to be present, probably just my imagination. With all this going on, what part the Rum played in the overall taste, I have no idea. But when all added together, the results were quite satisfying. In spite of my best affords, when I smoke a baccy this mild, I find myself puffing like a old steam engine, looking for some kick. But inspite of this poor technique there still was no bite or harshness, this stuff always remained gentle. No small thing for an all Virginia. The one complaint I do have, and I'm sure shared by many fellow pipe smokers, is this stuffs high cost, this is common Navy Virginia, nothing exotic, so why the almost twelve bucks. Way out of line (IMO) for only (50g) of any tobacco. I would go with PS Luxury Navy, at one third the price and three times the taste. Of course that's only my opinion, and there is always a chance of a difference of opinion on such matters.

Cost aside, I believe this stuff contains some fine tobaccos, and would appeal to many pipesters, those favoring a milder Virginia smoke, that is completely user friendly. For then , 2 stars. Due to it being a bit too mild for my taste and cost prohibitive, my personal rating is 2 out of 5

PS …There seems to have been some changes at Rotary, because my findings are not even close to the others written below. Not to mention the xyz sticker on the tins back calls this stuff “Luxury navy cut” Hmmm.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I had planned on saving my tin for a few more years but got the urge last night to try something new. After rummaging around in my "cellar," I chose Rotary Navy Cut simply because the tin looked pretty.

Nicely presented broken flake with a perfect moisture content. This one has a very typical Virginia tang that I normally don't appreciate. My taste buds prefer a little more natural Virginia sweetness.

If you like a tart Virginia (and, many smokers do), then this one might be a good bet.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I really bought this tobacco on a whim. I had been looking for a navy flake kind of tobacco to smoke for the warmer weather and, though I like Orlik Golden Sliced quite a bit, I wanted to try something different. So, it was between this and Dark Star and I chose the Rotary.

Typical tin presentation of two rows of sliced flakes, just like OGS and others that share that presentation. Smells haylike and grassy, like most Virginias do. It's supposedly comprised of three different Virginias and the colors in the flake range from bright yellow to brown to almost black. Rotary in the tin, actually, looks a lot like OGS does in the tin. Upon lighting, there was nothing to surprise me and I really couldn't taste any rum, which it supposedly contains. Just a typical slightly sweet Virginia.

After smoking this for a while, I actually got to liking it quite a bit. It's a good solid Virginia that has everything one would want from a straight Virginia. Though I didn't find it as good as McClelland's Blackwoods Flake or OGS ( which has Perique), it's still a very good Virginia. It's definitely better than Dunhill Flake or Full Virginia Flake, which fall very flat in my opinion. However, I won't be ordering any more tins, as there are plenty of better (and less costly) Virginias out there, but it's really good.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I bought one tin of this just to try, I wish I'd bought fifty, it seems to be available only in the US and the import tax imposed here make it very expensive, so I'm trying to make this one last as long as I can.

I didn't detect the Rum flavouring, as claimed by the blender, nor any Mahogany, what I did detect was a very good quality virginia flake of medium strength that is a great pleasure to smoke, sweet, without being to sweet, most certainly not "citrus-virginia-tang" an excellent all day working day tobacco that packs and burns well with no bite.

As for aging, it has certainly kept well, I popped the lid a good four or five months ago and it still hasn't turned to dust, or for that matter, showed any signs of needing rehydration.

I'm trying to find a taste comparison, and the best I can come up with is this :- more oomph than Sam Gawiths BB Flake and Rattray's Old Gowrie, and perhaps a little less than Rattray's Marlin Flake. Most probably on par with Sam Gawiths St James flake, but with a flavour and taste all it's own.

Although I would recommend this to a pipe smoker coming over to Flakes, or perhaps even to a new pipe smoker, there are no training wheels on this Tabac.

Well worth a try and worthy of it's 4 Stars.

Old Cremona Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Cremona (3)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is my go-to baccy these days. I was a fan of Orlik Golden Sliced until I was introduced to Rotary Navy. It's got a better flavor and it's less bitey.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very tangy, sweet flake that smokes exceptionally well.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A fine Virginia flake tobacco with just a hint of mild sweetner. The tobaccos here I believe to be golden Va,red Va,and maybe mahogany. The color of the leaf is mostly golden with some brown and darker laced throughout. The thin slices are quite easy to rub out,and pack nicely. I smoked this in my BBB Lovat, and I thought the tobac performed really well. The virginia (IMO) is not tangy, but sweet and I actually taste the tobacco. The flavouring is not overpowering, but is a good marriage with the leaf.The flavouring also does not last in the pipe. I enjoy Rotary Navy flake often and have not been displeased with it. It is an all day smoke that doesn't ware me out,and leaves me wanting more.Good tobacco.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This German tobacco is comprised of golden to darker brown VAs as nicely prepared flakes, in the flat chewing gum style, ~ 1/16" thick. I didn't detect any distinctive aroma or taste from their claimed topping. I did not rub out the flakes. From the start, this blend had just too much Va tang for me. Multiple bowls in the same pipe, without cleaning between, just aggravated this condition. I also found that bowl size had a more apparent influence on the experience with >~DH size 4 becoming soggy and too intense for the last 1/3 of the bowl. I could never smoke this blend throughout the day as their description claims. Although the room aroma was OK'd by the family, I also want to enjoy the smoke. There are much better staight VA flakes available @ much lower unit price.