A blend of flue and fire cured tobaccos pressed and baked into a glossy black bar. Favoured by experienced pipesmokers who demand a strong cool satisfying smoke.

Notes: For a long time this blend has been listed under the brand 'Manchester Tobacco'; however, the package I have makes no mention of any company other than Gawith Hoggarth & Co. I believe that this has been the case for some years now.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
CutPlug
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

3.6
PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Very Strong Medium Full Strong

Here's a tobacco that deserves just about every accolade I can give it. What a treat! It has been a while since I last had any and I had forgotten just how darned good it is.

The presentation is enticing if somewhat intimidating - a large, black bar that is actually quite loosely pressed and thus easy to prepare, although it does have a tendency to crumble and produce too many useless crumbs if it is allowed to dry out too much, which can happen if you cellar it in its cellophane packaging instead of transfering it into something more robust (this is about the only criticism I have and I guess it was my fault for not thinking about it). Still, yet another good reason to start smoking it as soon as you get your hands on it!

Once it is burning in the pipe you are greeted by a powerful and surprisingly sweet smoke. My dear old mother commented that it 'smelled lovely'! I get a hint of barbecue, a hint of salt, a hint of spice and lots of powerful tobacco. It is also slightly floral, but there is nothing of the detergent about this one. The flavours tend to deepen and take on more 'bass' as you progress down the bowl, with the sweetness calming down a little. It sounds silly, but once I am about 2/3 of the way down I could almost believe that there was the tiniest dusting of latakia in there - it certainly has all the presence of a stout English blend.

Burning qualities are superb. Although it can require a few relights, it is one of the coolest and easiest smoking blends I have ever encountered. You probably could get it to bite if you tried really hard, but it would take some doing. Yesterday I finished a bowl, ran a pipe cleaner through and not only was it clean, it wasn't even moist. That is how cleanly this blend smokes.

What more can I say? I would give this fella 5 stars if I could. It is genuinely excellent and surely deserves a place in the tobaccoreviews Hall of Fame as one of the tastiest and most archetypal smokes ever to come out of the North of England, and one of the most impressive offerings to come out of the GH&Co stable (I have requested that the blend details be changed to reflect the fact that they are the blender - I have checked the pack I am currently smoking and there is no mention of Manchester Tobacco anywhere).

If you are a fan of rope tobaccos, lakeland flakes and strong weed in general then Revor Plug is almost guaranteed to put a big grin on your face. Even if you're not then you should still give it a shot, it might very well be the start of your conversion!

Very highly recommended!

Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

From the moment you begin smoke it, you’re keenly made aware that only the choicest Virginias and Kentucky are used in making this plug. There’s a little floral Lakeland essence that never detracts from the heavy richness of smokey, woodsy, dark sweet flavors. There’s hints of dark cocoa, nuts, spice, and some dried fruit notes, the latter most likely provided by the pressing of the plug. The plug itself breaks apart with little effort, and burns cool, dry, slow and smooth from start to finish, though as is often the case with plug tobaccos, it’ll require a little dry time and some relights. Lots of nicotine here, but not enough to make you dizzy. The rich fullness of taste makes this a special treat to smoke any time.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Dark licorice coloured block. I sliced, diced and rubbed, and a small amount turns into a substantial pile in my hands.

The pouch note is of leather, linoleum and wood. I am instantly transported to the shoe stores of half a century ago.

Takes a few attempts to get a good burn going. Even rubbed out this is still a dense, damp tobacco. Once lit there are some floral notes underneath a prominent smokiness. The Kentuckys here are almost latakia like. Better, to my tastes. The fragrance is beautiful. Sweet, smoky, slightly floral, bready; this is a full spectrum tobacco.

Once underway this tobacco burns steady and cool. It has a lovely creamy mouthfeel. The smoke is an odd brown colour in certain lights. Floral notes drift in and out.

A beautifully layered tobacco that has a pretty fragrance sitting on top of some densely structured quality tobacco flavours. A classic.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I don't know if it's just because this is something of a rarity but Revor Plug seems quite a special tobacco. It's simplicity belies a deep and engaging smoke and one that will knock your socks off. Not a beginners choice I wouldn't say.

A long chunky bar in a packet that is quite crumbly once cut into with a knife and breaks down into little chips and chunks with very little effort. Which is perhaps it's one glaring shortcoming - not too easy to make your own flakes to fold with this one I imagine. But let that not put you off.

The Virginias have been cured in a way that makes them very dark and reminds me a bit of some of the black ropes/twists except that here they are beautifully sweet and sugary, not even slightly sour or astringent. But it's not just sweet, there is something else there; a very distinctive aroma, like a resinous wood. I'm guessing that this is something to do with what's been used in the flue/fire curing and as such I'm really not sure if this has flavouring added. Knowing G&H (and this is them, they seem to have dropped the Manchester Tobacco from the packaging) it probably isn't too hazardous to say that there has, but if so it doesn't linger much. I've been rubbing it between my fingers and trying to place the smell and there's a lot of depth too it.

It takes the light great and the woody flavour comes through in a powerful sensuous smoke. This isn't a new fangled aromatic at all, it is proper Old Skool; the sort of tobacco that would not be at all out of place in a low beamed tavern from yesteryear and there's very little gurgle, no cloying residue, dry and no bite at all. I can't write a review of a Lakeland tobacco without mentioning the 'S' word (can I?) other than to say that it isn't here.

I can't see this being an all day smoke for anyone, too strong, but I don't think that anyone with a penchant for the products of quality craftsmanship will want to pass this by should they get chance to procure a modest quantity.

A very characterful tobacco full of personality that will not fail to impress you and at a good price too.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Very Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Relatively easy to prepare, something like GH black rope combined with dark plug but with all the motor oil taste and cigarish overtones gone, all hints of harshness gone, with a very pleasing topping which is similar to SG Bracken Flake, yet more subdued and natural. Almost refreshing and not overbearing if smoked correctly.

Really a top notch smoke that also reminds me slightly of 1792, but rounder, less intrusive topping, total absence of bite or "edges".

Slightly better than Condor, which God smokes, similar in strength and mouthfeel, but with less floral and clingy qualities than Condor L/C, and better underlying tobacco taste. Less likely to put a ghost in your pipe relative to Condor too. Perhaps the best of its kind.

Pipe Used: small bowl

Similar Blends: Condor, Bracken Flake, etc..

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Acquired a pouch in a trade with a UK forum buddy. This comes in a long, narrow bar of black tobacco, but it's easily crumbled for pipe loading. I liked it best dried a bit from pouch moisture level which made breaking off pieces slightly more difficult. But not overmuch.

This is one tobacco that I would recommend to folks who want simply the taste of tobacco. The Lakeland scent was barely noticeable in the pouch and barely noticeable in the taste/room note. No pipe ghosting, at least not my meerschaums. It is a rich and robust taste and the nicotine is a velvet hammer... it snuck up on me towards the end. The flavor never altered from beginning to end... a nice full-flavored. leathery "meaty" smoke. Very nuance-free, and that is what keeps it from a 4th star for me. I enjoy a lot of monodimensional tobaccos for their flavor, and this is one of them, but complexity is often the key to that 4th star. This is one fine tasting natural tobacco and if I can get my hands on more, I certainly will. Recommended for those who don't need Grandma's spice rack or citrus flavors, but only want a beautifully heavy tobacco taste.

Scottish Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Steve (14)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Extra Full Tolerable

My only previous experience of this strength of tobacco has been Peterson's Irish Flake, which I quite liked, but found too strong at the time. This was about a year ago, and I've once again started looking for a full Va to make a more robust, personal blend with. I was intrigued both by plugs and by the reviews of Revor and quite unexpectedly found it in a local newsagent/tobacconist last night. I couldn't wait to try it. It's quite clear as soon as you open the pack that this is a very different product from most other tobaccos. Jet-black, solid plug, smells divine, mysterious and just a bit dangerous. I was very sensible with my first taste of this...a half-bowl in the Falcon I keep for trying new blends. First things first, no soap- thank God! To get things somewhat back to front, I have to say the most distinctive thing about this blend is the wonderful aftertaste, which is quite different from the actual smoking. Rich, "fermented toffee" flavour, bourbon-like and extremely satisfying. It lasts for hours, but this might be because my taste-buds are still in shock. To me, this tastes both darker and more natural than the Irish FLake, which might have some kind of casing to it, in retrospect. The "stickiness" of Irish Flake is missing here, leaving an extremely powerful, yet manageable smoke. It stays lit easily and has no problems with wetness. I did get that alkali-burn, but given the power of the tobacco, I knew this was going to happen and it wasn't bad enough to mar the experience. Lets be honest, the room-note would have you believe I was a 70yr old horse trainer, but I can handle that. The nicotine-hit got me stoned and my friends had to tell me to stop shouting and calm down (seriously). To blending:- I used a 65%/35% mix of Scottish Flake/Revor and had a full-sized briar a couple of hours after my first tiny taste. In these proportions, it probably overwhelms the Flake a little, but this is still in the "normal" range of strength, tho still I think, officially strong. I had been puffing heavily all last week, in an effort to tease out more flavour from the Sc Flake, but with this mix, I settled down, drew very slowly and kind of melted into the smoke, the way you're meant to. This lasted an hour of contemplative, easy richness. A very successful experiment, still dark, but not some kind of "test of manhood", as the pure Revor had been. This would be Highly Recommended if it wasn't such a specialist product, and I wasn't keenly aware that my palate is so unaccustomed to this style of smoke- perhaps a little one-dimensional compared to some other blends? It has introduced me to a new paradigm in tobacco and i suppose the most telling thing is, I plan to stroll down to that shop on my way home and get some more in.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Very Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Crikey! This is a - literally and metaphorically - stunning plug tobacco! Sniffing the sliced - slightly gooey and very, very dark - tobacco while it dried I found myself in a pleasurable hunt for what exactly it was that it reminded me of - quite distinct from any aroma that I've come across before from any kind of tobacco: something like a faint caraway or aniseed maybe? Certainty I found myself in an imaginary, old-fashioned confectioners shop. Lighting up and this speculative reverie intensifies: subtle, delicious and interestingly unplaceable. After a bit of this - a few puffs only in my smallest briar - I realise that I am in full-blown, smashed-on-a-lovely-baccy heaven - wow! The strongest tobacco I've ever smoked - and I'm a Peterson's Irish Flake devotee - but also very smooth and approachable; plentiful smoke and a shifting palette of pleasant associations through the bowl.

Smoking this, I turned into Gollum at once: 'If I review this favourably, then maybe there's a chance that more people will buy it - and if they do, then there might be less for me! No! No! The Precious! Can't tell anyone about it!

No: it's splendid stuff; you really should try it (and you won't need a lot).

Update: Another block of this stuff (Phew! is it strong!) and this time fired up after using the Stein Method. This method with Revor - after the initial 'well, this is silly, it's never going to work' - works a treat: dense, sweet white clouds and bingo: nicotine nirvana.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Can you say delicious? I knew you could.

A nicely crafted jet-black stick of dark Virginia. Easy to shave into shag with a sharp knife. A wee bit of drying time, a light fill, two vestas, your steel belted panty hose and you're off to the races.

Strong stuff. I don't advise smoking this in the morning after a few cups of coffee and a bran muffin if there is any chance you're going to get stuck in traffic. This is wonderful tobacco, but it does carry an *SPF 5,000 rating.

*(Sphincter Pucker Factor)

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Oh yes. We likes it. It takes the nozzle of a harrier jump jet to get it going, but then it just burns and burns. It is the coolest smoke ever experienced, so much so that I believe this plug is cursed in some way. Smoke it and a natural disaster happens on the other side of the world.

Nice nicotine hit, mainly due to the fact you will not believe how cool a smoke it is. You immediately turn into a steam train, pulling huge clouds of smoke with every inhale, thinking 'my god this is cool' and then you get that feeling at the bottom of your throat where it goes all jittery, threatening hiccups.

You know what it looks like from all the other reviews, so now I shall attempt to describe its taste. Here are my thoughts -or a mood board let's call it. Some descriptions have been stolen from others

Rump steak - aniseed - cinder toffee - treacle - peat - salt - pepper - asphalt

So there it is. I did also think of latakia when I first lit it, but this is some other tobacco pretending to be latakia.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a plug that I can crumble with my fingers, which makes it way more portable and easier to deal with than Peterson's Perfect Plug. Like most plugs, lacking moisture, it burns evenly and consistently. A very dry smoke, but cool enough that I've never been bitten despite a wet summer's worth of trying.

The four stars come from: 1: ease of burn 2: lightly floral smell and aftertaste 3: more than enough nicotine to make me a little unbalanced after a medium bowl 4: it is different enough from my usual 'English' blends and latakias that I feel like I always need to have something like this around.

It is just a really nice smoke, the sort that I can enjoy 'after hours', when everyone is asleep and there are no calls on my time; just me, my pipe and the promise of bed shortly thereafter.

Markw4mms Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Markw4mms (2)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I acquired a pouch of Revor from a forum buddy after reading so many good things about it, and let's just say that this is one tobacco blend that lives up to the hype. The plug is a dark brown, almost black bar that breaks up easily enough so prep isn't a big issue. Revor Plug takes to the flame very well, with just one relight after the initial char light.

As for taste, Revor Plug delivers nothing more than good, strong, but sweet at the same time tobacco flavor, with a liberal dose of nicotine to boot. I would liken the mouthfeel of this to be almost like what you experience when eating a very good steak, with lots of rich,creamy smoke that is cool, and wouldn't bite if you begged it to.

I really can't think of anything bad to say about Revor Plug except that it is really hard to get in the US, and that is a shame, because it could easily be an all day smoke for me, and one I would have pounds of in my cellar otherwise. This is one blend that a 4 star rating just isn't good enough. Needless to say I'm impressed, and highly recommend it!

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance out the pouch:a very dark matt almost black crumbly block(looks like a segment of chocolate browny)

Feels moist and breaks easily,quite crumbly,,;texture in rubbing out feels powdery,,i wonder wether coco powder is put between the leaves before pressing and firing?

A slightly soapy taste on lighting,but this goes and you get a mocca coffe taste,muscovado sugar,chickory,dark woody flavour(but not in the burning smoked wood sence),cool,dark chocolatey,mildly floral sometimes.

I basically taste a slightly sweet dark tobacco with a hint of coco/dark chocolate(no milk).I wouldn't class this as aromatic though(its borderline because its flavouring if its got any is mild)

Tastes better than it smells:i went for a walk in my factory and left my pipe on the bench,,and when i came back i could smell the room note like a pedestrian..

Room Note:of smouldering burn't tire rubber at a traffic light and coco powder - also it reminded me slightly of "condor ready rubbed",which is surprising because "condor" is one tobacco which i disliked...Maybe this is simular tobacco without the "condor" soapy lavender casing?

A very cooperative tobacco - it stays lit,burns cool,and lasts forever..Burns to the best pure white fluff dust ash,which seems satisfying because you feel there is no wastage..

Easily an allday smoke (for me atleast) but sometimes i tire of the chocolateness - (i usually smoke a variety of tobacco's a day)Nicoteen is felt but not in the taste and it has a good fix.

You may want to dedicate a pipe to this tobacco,,,;not because it leaves a ghost,but even though it is med to full flavoured;it is mild also in that you could taste possibly whatever was in your pipe before smoking this(especially oriental's like what is in your typical medium english blend)..

No bite whatsoever,,it doesn't even try to...I will definately be making this a part of my in crowd of rotation ,and have bought some more pouches already..

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

If you like your baccy strong and old-fashioned, Revor Plug is just plain wonderful. The plug itself looks delicious enough to be edible. Despite the fact that nothing's done for you, it's easy enough to prepare for the pipe: it cuts and rubs easily (IMO it's better to "shave" the plug lengthways than to cut it across the grain). Then plenty of rich, tasty smoke all the way down, and very cool; though you'll probably need quite a few re-lights until you get the hang of it. The flavour is sweet but very natural: there's no sense that the native qualities of the tobacco have been interfered with or modified.

Revor Plug looks as though it ought to smoke wet. It doesn't, though; not in the least. The room note probably won't please the family (my nearest and dearest weren't ecstatic), and it's probably too strong for an all-day smoke unless you really are an N junkie; but Revor is a great experience if you want to re-live the old days when granddad smoked this kind of stuff and men were men. It's strong, for sure; but it's gentler and more civilized than the Kendal twists and ropes.

Negatives? Availability is a bit patchy sometimes. Also, being idle and no great lover of foreplay, I wish Revor were sold in a cut version, like Gawith & Hoggarth's Bosun Cut Plug, etc. (G & H now make Revor, BTW). Other than that, I can't think of anything unfavourable to say about it. It's too strong to be one of my four-star favourites; but that's just me, of course. This is a very fine offering by anyone's standards, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a traditional kind of smoke.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

This is a really tasty plug. A long bar instead of a little square like some other plugs, this one pulls apart easily. I usually pull a few layers off then clip it into small pieces with scissors. Then a mild rubbing-out and it's ready for packing.

Other reviewers have described it well, but I have to respectfully disagree with those who say there is little or no flavoring. I sense a significant topping, more so in the aroma, but also significantly in the taste. It's definitely in the aromatic category IMHO, and I don't like aromatics, so it's kind of surprising that I like this so much.

But it's not the goopy kind of aro that tastes chemical and cloying. There is a sweetness here, but it's mild and natural. By natural I don't necessarily mean just tobacco-only sweetness, but a topping that enhances the tobacco experience instead of hiding it. It's rich, tasty, definitely unique, and very enjoyable. The flavoring subsides (or changes?) a bit as the bowl progresses and a toastiness comes through which is very nice. Lakeland soap is omnipresent but I actually like that so it's not a problem for me. Once it gets rolling, it provides big clouds of rich smoke and remains cool throughout the bowl.

This is apparently manufactured by Gawith & Hoggarth as it appears on their website. Typical of their fare, it's a quality weed and well worth the effort to acquire a bar or three.

Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm in love! I would do cartwheels if I were physically able to do so! This stuff it great! This is another I was fortunate enough to recieve in a trade from a forum brother on SmokersForums and I don't know whether to be happy or sad. This is so good and so hard to get if at all in the US. But to be able to experience it right now is sublime! This comes in a pouch containing a long rectangular block of very dark, pressed from large flakes non oily tobacco. It has the aroma of 1792 flake and to be honest, it reminds me of a much richer version of 1792 and also reminds me vey much of Irish XX Rope. I like both but this blend seems to combine those two in a perfect combination. It is hard in the block but easy to pel off strips and I let mine set out to dry for a little while. I then rubbed up up and leaded in a Pete 302 Pete System pipe. Once I first lit the pipe, well actually several times as it's hard to light, I was in shere bliss. This blend is sweet as can be, no artificial sweetness either. It has along with the sweetness a kind of sweet and sour tartness I like a lot. The smoke is thick and creamy and it kinda clings to your pallette and facial hair. With the cup of French roast coffee I drank while smoking it, well it just made life perfect for awhile. It does require relights a few times as it burns very slow, and it burns down to a dark grey ash and very little dottle in the bottom of the pipe. This tobacco is so rich and full it's almost like eating a meal of it. This has to be the best of the best from the UK. I highly recommend it and I know would be my regular blend if it were available to me in the US. Did I say I was in love!?

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Oh, my goodness, this plug is clothed in rectitude. Tastewise, a medley of Black Irish X, Stonehaven, Brown Bogie, and St. Bruno. There is a BIXish grilled meat taste upon lighting (maybe not as meaty as the SG Black XX). A fourth of the way down I swear I am smoking Stonehaven as the meaty flavor turns vaguely cocoa, and the tobacco turns nutty. The background is Brown Bogie (without the salt), but sometimes the VA background becomes the foreground. I do not taste the 1792 tonquin, but at times I feel it, sort of. Toward the bottom of the bowl it resembles St. Bruno. The flavors do shift back and forth as Warwick puts it. The finish I liken to undercooked brussel sprouts, not in taste, but texture.

This plug seems huge compared to a Warrior, Yachtsman or McQaid plug. An illusion, of course, but a 50g Revor seems heavier than a 50g Warrior plug (enough of that nonsense). I would not describe it as glossy, but it is very dark, a matte near-black bar, about 1.5 x 2.5 x 13 cm. I slice it thin and smoke it immediately with no drying. I like it in a small, bent egg Ardor that I originally reserved for straight Virginias.

RP burns cool and steady with a wallop less than that of Brown Bogie (more like St. Bruno flake). Yes, we have no bite, gurgle, or dottle. It barely warms the pipe bowl, and just when I am sure it has gone out, I find it hasn't. Righteous burning characteristics, to be certain.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing RP to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first plug, passed on by a season smoker, what an absolute joy, I get a hint of caramel and anise, with a smooth saltiness to it, smokes very cool, top marks, it's listed on Gawith Hoggart's website but says Manchester baccy above, a great not to soapy, strong but not too excessive dark plug...must have more. 5 star.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a wonderful plug by G&H. It is perhaps the coolest tobac I have ever smoked, which can get you in trouble if smoked too fast as it has a good dose of nico. It is my quess that this is a virginia base with oriental and maybe some latakia and kentucky. I get a chocolate note in the background along with a very slight hint of pine?, but, as I am no expert in these matters this should be taken with a grain of salt. No one on earth can do ropes, flakes and plugs like the Brits, lets hope these tobac Masters will be plying their trade for a long time to come.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (22)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

The plug itself is dark?darker than Dark Plug...almost entirely black. It is a somewhat loose brick, with layers more easily pulled apart than DP. The aroma is slightly sweet, but a little odd - not quite a VA sweetness. After some time thinking about it, I think I am -perhaps- detecting a slight tonquin aroma a la 1792.

It cuts easily with a pocketknife, allowing small shavings to be had with little effort. Only a slight drying time was required (in the dry New England winter air). Like many of these plugs, I find they need to dry until almost brittle for good burning properties.

On first light (and most relights) I can detect what seems to be a slight Lakeland floral note. This fades almost immediately.

Room note is...strong and interesting...something like a mix of Brown#4, 1792 and Black XX. Its pretty strong at the bowl (in a good way, if you like the aforementioned blends!), but it doesn't linger or infest the room as badly I thought it might. This one sure won't attract the ladies, though!!

The smoke is smooth, cool, with absolutely no bite. The flavor is, again, something like a mix of Brown Bogie, Black XX, Dark Plug, and Brown#4. The flavors shift back and forth between these various aspects - I would not consider it monochromatic. All strong flavors, but I do not feel they compete; rather, they seem to trade off to each other throughout the bowl. There is also a slightly sweet undertone which increases toward the bottom of the bowl. As a result, this blend doesn't tend to dry the mouth or irritate the throat. Despite the Black XX aspects in room note and flavor, it (thankfully!) does not have any "burnt machine oil" flavor like Black XX. If there are added toppings/casings (such as the tonquin I think I smell in the pouch aroma), I cannot detect them.

Given sufficient drying and rubbed out to smaller-than-usual pieces, it burns well, with a few relights, and leaves a fine grey ash with little or no dottle. As a regular smoker of Dark Flake/Plug and ropes, I find this to be in that same high-end range of nicotine hit.

Despite the strong flavors, there is little or no negative lingering aftertaste. Only a satisfyingly full reminder of the smoke that makes me want another bowl right away.

This is surely not an all-day smoke or one for the meek. This one, as they say, will put hair on your chest. A heady experience, in flavor, room note, and nico-hit. I think this blend is going to interest those who like the company of Brown Bogie, Brown#4, Black XX (again, no "burnt machine oil" flavor like Black XX), 1792, Dark Flake/Plug, and especially those who have sometimes wished some/all of those flavors could be combined in one blend for more interest.

I cannot understand why this isn't (as of this writing) distributed in the USA. It is a quality blend.

Doug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doug (3)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Revor is well described in physical and smoking characters by grimpeur. I will add that this is a superb tobacco for the new pipe smoker, especially if they are giving up cigarettes. I am prescriptive on this on two grounds. 1: There is absolutely no bite whatsoever and the tobacco smokes cool, with plenty of smoke. 2: It is strong and the fullness of flavour will go a long way toward replacing that simple "hit" from cigarettes. However, it is not a cigarette replacement. This is full on pipe smokers tobacco. The plug is a long strip about 1x1/2 inch by 6ins long. If it was a flake it would be a krumble cake, reminiscent of the texture of Penzance. As above that Jack Tar, OOh are Jim lad, Cap'n Hook reflection of most other Brit plugs is completely absent. This is the best plug this Brit has smoked in an age. Great stuff. with the full four stars intact. I could not find a fault big enough to knock a star off.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

With spring seeming as though it will never return, and knowing that St.Bruno Flake will not come to these shores again, I have turned to our friends in Great Britain for the solace to be found in smoking strong, old fashioned tobacco.

Revor plug.

I was rather intimidated by the description. The reality has been quite pleasurable. The bar arrived fresh, but not too moist. A sharp knife makes quick work of preparation. Rubbing out the slices for indoor or calm-weather smoking is a doddle.

But what of the taste? Superb. Somewhat smokey, but rather less so than say G&H's Dark Bird's Eye, somewhat spicy, and just discernably sweet. As promised by the description it is remarkably cool to smoke; not just to the tongue, but also in touching the bowl. Strength is below the S.Gawith ropes, and the palate is to be pleased by tobacco taste, and lots of it. It strikes me as a smooth, flavourful treat.

Harry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry (13)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco was introduced to me by a fellow pipe smoker. Prior to this, I had never tried a plug tobacco before and was slightly wary but also willing to give it a try. Boy, is this one strong! The sleek, shiny, heavy black bar is enough to suggest a smoking sensation before you begin. The plug smell is surprisingly sweet and enticing. The press compresses everything so tightly that you feel a single puff of this will blow your head off. Not quite so! When I first tried this, I cut a small chunk off and then rubbed it. Or at least tried to, but the moisture level wouldn't allow for a smooth rub. Nevertheless I packed a pipe and lit up. The smoke was strong, sweet, creamy and billowing. First impressions were strength, high nicotine hit and a very pleasant smoke sensation, earthy, very deep, smooth and robust. This dark blend has a strong flavour, full of body, very complex. The sweetness is not a cloying thing, neither a light aromatic taste. It is simply the pure tobacco taste coming through. I needed several relights to this; it was simply too moist. As it has been stored in a jar since my first trial, it has slightly dried out and my smoke this evening was perfect. Goodness-it hits the back of the throat! It leaves a rich, velvety presence in the mouth, slightly dusty, with a woody, mellow feel. As you smoke down, the taste becomes more mature and rounded. Flavours combine and settle down. There is something very solid, substantial about smoking this tobacco. In one sense, it reminds me of Condor, similar in its dark appearance and heaviness/depth of flavour. The aroma is very pleasing, floral but more like sweetened wood smoke and rounded off. There is more than a hint of dark bittersweet chocolate too. It leaves a lovely room fragrance. This tobacco is a very fine late evening smoke for me and you need to give it some time to appreciate the growing flavours. If you are in a rush, then I suggest that you wait until the right moment. Also, in my opinion, its strength won't allow for more than one pipeful every now and then. Some folk could smoke it every day but I would find it much too strong a dosage in my case. A lighter, sweeter aromatic would be the perfect balance to follow this heavy blend, a bit like a dessert wine to contrast with the main meal choice! Overall, an excellent smoke, rich and full-bodied. Suitable with alcohol (though I am tea-total) and/or a good coffee. As my first experience of plugs, the trial was a success and I will try out several other similar types as I experiment with taste, texture and aromas.

Pipe Used: Rusticated Peterson System

Age When Smoked: About a month old

Purchased From: Smoke-King (Greens of Leeds), UK

Similar Blends: As suggested above, it reminds me of Condor. As I haven't as yet tried any other plugs/twists etc, my experience is rather limited in this area, but it will certainly increase in the future..

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Revor Plug . I find this a really good tobacco albeit not for those favouring a weak smoke ! It could use a little extra drying time but with a little tenacity the bowl is ready to go . It takes to the light with ease and once lit it gives a consistent burn and mine stayed lit well . The smoke is of good strength (maybe too strong for some) and will suit you if you like a good Nicotine hit . On the negative side , if you draw too harsh it will bite but if "sipped"slowly it is a full bodied pleasure . This one delivers a great Virginia flavour and I also get a slightly sweet note in the background . Its not for the "faint of heart"but if you want a real "heavy weight"Tobacco then this will meet your needs !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I bought this one after a recommendation when I once inquired about what good plugs to get. Not having heard of it before, I wasn't sure what to expect but, knowing GH, I knew the odds were I'd get a good one.

The bar of tobacco in the pouch was definitely a change from the normal, almost cube-like, plug that I've had before, it's thinness making it seem more like a fragrant chocolate bar than something smokeable. That note in the pouch, too, was nice, quite floral, smell something of rose perhaps. As noted before, the bar is very crumbly so it's nigh on impossible to cut anything like a flake off it, but it does make it easier to break up. The packing really depends on how you cut it but, for the most part, I had no issue with this. The lighting, however, was an utter pain so it does require some drying out and even then it requires a relight or two, even after some pretty hefty airing. The smoking itself is something else though. The first two or three bowls tend to cycle between a meaty, steak-like taste, which is not too dissimilar to a GH rope I tried (Black Bogie or some such) that was so rank I tossed it, and one of a sweetness and flora, one thinks of some kind of berry sauce on red meat. After that, it settles down into a nice melange of the two. It is quite a queer flavour and fairly heavy as well, not for the faint hearted. The only downside at this point is the strength, this is a potent one and up there with some of the strongest I've had.

On the whole then a cracking tobacco. The flavour is very nice, even with that meatiness, it is cracked down a notch or two from that rope I tried and the addition of the casing is a bonus. I don't know if I'd smoke it without the casing but I'd certainly more likely to stick with it than that rope. That is academic at this point though. The only real downsides are the dampness and the strength. The first, while not stopping the tobacco from being anything like unsmokable, does take the edge off while the latter does make smoking anything afterwards a little difficult, I do feel nicotined to the hilt and have struggled smoking anything afterwards when having this early in the day. It is best enjoyed last thing at night in my book. I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner, if I'd smoked this when I first started it probably would have put me off tobacco for a month, so if you're a newbie, save this one till later. A lot later. Saying that though, still a great tasting tobacco with only a couple of flaws that makes pre-eminently worthy of three stars.

Pipe Used: Straight Adsorba

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

shrimpy jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shrimpy jim (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A fabulous tasting tobacco that is the best plug I have tried and so easy to prepare.Not strong to me being a seasoned piper and I am off to the Pool tomorrow to buy a couple more packs.Cheap stuff too.Possibly the finest tasting baccy of all time and I have tasted loads.

Pipe Used: falcons bewlays petersons ect

Purchased From: liverpool

Similar Blends: no other.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Opening the pouch, a scent of currants, cocoa and other sweet stuff penetrated my nostrils, and it was wonderful. I could also smell the Kentucky miles away. It so very slightly reminded me of SG 1792 Flake's fire cured smell.

Glossy bar as described, easily cut into ribbons or coarse cuts. It needs to be a bit aerated in order to be smoked correctly without having to relight often.

One is welcomed by pure bliss of heavenly smoke, medium to strong N hit and a wonderful special aroma that is so "lakelandy" yet unique.

Recommended!

BeamMeUpScotty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeamMeUpScotty (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Am working my way through samples of Plugs available from On-Line tobacconist here in UK. Have now obtained a 5g sample of Revor and my first pipe of it was of mixed opinion. I had a bad packing and had to empty twice and start again due to too tight. I had cut off flakes with knife and this was difficult due to crumbly nature of plug. It lit easily with Corona Old Boy and needed little coaxing to burn. Was not impressed at all - little flavour - astringent taste (but no bite). Poor nose aroma from bowl. After 10 minutes I emptied pipe and dried it out as it was quite moist at bottom of bowl (Petersons 31). I then read the reviews here and was really surprised to see the high regard so many had for it. Decided to try again within 1 hour of first attempt. Crumbled and rubbed this time and got a better draw on fill. This tobacco is a real Trojan Horse for Nick O'Teen - burns easily and can be relit easily down through a deep ash cap. Comes into its own when 1/2 way point is reached. Certainly much prefer 3P's but will keep some of this 'playground bully' of a plug when I feel like having a smoke reminiscent of the long gone 'thick black' days.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I think Pipester Jim (who's Youtube channel was great, so why stop Jim lad??!!?) summed it up pretty well about 12 posts down.

I can't really add much to what he's mentioned other than to say that personally, I don't find it quite as strong.

This absolutely reminds me of Gawith's 'Dark Flake' without the cigar flavor that that particular blend possess.

Nice old fashioned tobacco tasting smoke. Enjoy!

MartinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MartinK (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Unnoticeable

This is my second pouch of this and the reason for my first ever review on this site (!) is to add a comment of which nobody has seemed to have discovered as yet. My first pouch was amazingly pliant, slightly damp and a very unusual plug-this one is another matter. Its extremely dried out, of which I am slightly disappointed about and very very closely resembles G+H Dark Plud- Unscented. Either way-despite with its obvious age , this is a great and worthy tobacco, fully wealthy and pondering in its full rich black coffee like presense.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

WOW WOW,This stuff isjust out of this world,right from the start easy to light & keep lit,one of the best plug ive tried to date, so gentle and subtle, will be buying more of this in the future 4** from me all the way.

Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Others have commented on the nature of the plug; I found it v easy to get into and break apart. Be certain to do so, otherwise it's like trying to light a folded newspaper from the top -- a few layers burn and then nothing. Properly broken up, it burns nicely, if slowly.

Other than hints of chicory, mostly tastes of plain dark Virgnias. I didn't get any Lakelands in the taste. The N can sneak up on you. Certainly worth trying if the profile is similar to your preferences and you enjoy a slow smoke.

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Like many of us here in the USA, I have been wanting to try Revor Plug for some time now. I managed to purchase 2 pouches from a vendor in Scotland - got them in 3 weeks time which was not bad, considering.

I opened one of the 50g packets and took out a moderately glossy, very dark brown plug of tobacco measuring 5x1x1/2 inches. It had a faint Lakeland-like smell, but not overwhelming at all. The plug appeared dense, but looks can be deceiving as it took to the knife very readily, crumbling as I cut a few slices off of its width end. If you want to slice it into flakes, it won't work that way due to the crumbling nature of this bar. The pre-light draw had a candy dipped medicinal taste to it, perhaps resinous, but only faintly present - Lakeland without being Lakeland forward. Lighting it revealed the chameleon it really was as I swear I tasted smokey, musty Latakia! Its taste profile, to me, was similar in a way to Seattle Club's Plum Pudding and Mississippi River offerings (which I do not care for as I am not a big fan of Latakia). Could it be the addition of Perique and the way it is cured? I don't really know the answer to that one. If there is no Latakia (nor Perique for that matter) in this, I can only attribute the smokiness to the purported Kentucky, but I never experienced Kentucky leaf like this. Nowhere have I ever read where Revor is a Va/Bu mix. GH who manufactures it just describes it with the above listed description under TIN DESCRIPTION. Latakia is cured by fire curing, is it not? I am surprised that there is little mention of this Latakia-like presence in any of the reviews of RP contained on this site and on other pipe smoker/tobacco forums except for PipesterJim's take on it. Well, the hunt for information is one of the things I enjoy about this hobby, hence the diversion. In spite of all this, If there isn't Latakia per se in this blend, the smokiness must be from the curing method which gives a Latakia-like flavor - very skillful indeed! At times I detected a similarity to Stonehaven's musty, bittersweet characteristic minus the treacle topping.

At first, I rated the strength no higher than medium, but this one creeps up on you and can deliver in the nicotine department - quite strong actually. Lighting was easy and could be smoked to the bottom of the bowl only with occasional tamping. It was a cool, bittersweet (not cloying by any means) smoke from beginning to end without gurgle. At times a bit salty and a bit chocolatey. Not monochromatic by any means and only gets tastier as the bowl progresses.

I was totally surprised by Revor Plug, and for the first time ever with a pipe tobacco, my expectations (taste/flavor wise/flake handling were the polar opposite from what I had expected. Lots to be said for this one! I do give it a solid recommended and am very happy I was able to try an old-time classic. However, I much prefer Peterson's Perfect Plug and Irish Flake to Revor Plug. Right now, this plug will only be relegated to an occasional smoke when the muse strikes my fancy. With almost 100g of this, it should last me a while. That said, a solid recommended.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Am very impressed with Revor Plug. Though almost certainly not for first-timers, it's easy to prepare and smokes cool, sweet and full. On reflection, it's number one in my rotation, though Condor Long Cut is a competitor. If you like dark flakes, give this a try, IMO it deserves the praise heaped on it by other reviewers. Update 12.8.13 Two years on, am upgrading this to a solid four stars. After experimenting with a few dark flakes, the contrast with Revor is remarkable. Although it's the only plug I've tried thus far, I get the feeling that nothing could surpass it, certainly if like me you want a strong tobacco that's high in quality and near-as-damn-it unflavoured. This said, the pouch aroma is pretty dark and gorgeous, reminds me of liquorice & molasses somehow. It's no bother to prepare, I shave thin slices off the narrow ends of the bar with a sharp knife and rub them out. It could be smoked straight away, I'm guessing, but drying out the rubbed slices for 30-45min in my airing cupboard works well for me. Am using a small bowl, 'cause it's well punchy N-wise. What a great smoke this is! Easy light, easy burn, easy smoke, lot's of smoke, cool and sweet. Great, full tobacco flavour. Even the aftertaste is pleasant to my mind, I swear I had a chocolate moment. What can I say? Get some!

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I still can't put the taste of Revor into words, it just defies my attempts. If I say as some have said before and call it "ketchuppy" or "barbequed meat" I would do it an injustice. The price is towards the lower end of extortionate, but that's our Government's fault for witch hunting smokers. Preparation of the plug is easy, good light, good burning characteristics. It lasts well and completely smokes out.

What more can be said ? Love it/ hate it .....? I love it and can't leave it alone. It's quite unlike the other faves I have, but who can explain our respective olfactory senses ?

( By the bye, it's now made by Gawith Hoggarth.)

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I was little bite scared about the strength of this tobacco after reading this review, but this tobacco is not "very strong" it dont bit the tong, and the nicotine is not high, it's just a spicy tobacco, with lot of aromes.

viscountlascelles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscountlascelles (3)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Here's a cut-and-paste quote from G&H's website that has a curious Freudian slip that may reveal whether this beloved bar indeed has fLavouring added:

Revor - A blend of flue cured tobaccos pressed and baked into a glossy black bar. Flavoured by experienced pipe smokers who demand a strong, cool, satisfying smoke. Available as either Plug, Sliced or Ready-rubbed

Either way - flavoured or favored - -it is indeed subtle and does not measurably detract from the joy.

Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

After reading all the rave reviews regarding Revor Plug over the years I was finally able to obtain a bar in a swap with a fellow tobaccoreviews.com reviewer. I only wish now that I had swapped for more. One of the easier plugs to work with and exceptional taste with a bit of sweetness in this powerhouse.

Not at all like a McQuad plug, this one is more natural in tobacco flavor with the topping toned way down. The Virginia flavor is deep, dark, sweet and STRONG!

My great grandfather was a notorious pipe smoker and I can just see him working himself into a frenzy of delight if he were around to puff on this bad boy!

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This my friends, is British tobacco blending at it's finest. There is still some good in this art when such a plug is still made and sold.

My fellow reviewers have summed it up perfectly and i can't disagree with a word of it...I particularly like Warwicks and Briarchef's first para:-)

You will not find a more thoughtful, spicy dark and just wonderful plug than Revor even if you spend a lifetime looking...but go ahead anyway!