A blend of Bright flake, Red Virginia, Burley cube cut, Latakia and Perique with a mild fruit flavor.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Blended ByHouse of Windsor
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Packaging1.25oz Pouch, 2oz. Tin, 4oz Tin, 10 oz tin
Strength
Taste

I've smoked this a few times, always hoping to change my mind and like it. It has all the elements of a good blend. The fruity toppings tasted a little artificial, and the rum was weak. The perique was very mild as was the smoky, woody Cyprian latakia. I hardly noticed the spice or raisins from the perique. The rest of the ingredients never seemed to be of high quality. The Virginia, lightly woody Kentucky, and burley were less sweeter than expected, with very little nuttiness and earth, though the Va. was a kind of grassy. Very dull and boring, though it burned well enough. It tended to smoke hot and harsh near the finish with a cardboard hit. Left little moisture in the bowl, and needed few relights. Had a mild nic-hit. Maybe the Philip Morris version that Albert Einstein smoked was better, but I never tried it, and can only go by what I smoked.

Edit 10-14-2015: Recently, I was fortunate enough to try the 1950s Philip Morris version, and another batch of the HoW version from the 1980s. The '50s version had most of the virtues and fewer of the drawbacks of my original review, though the topping and latakia had faded some with time. Even still, it was better than the HoW versions I cited, and I give that three stars. You can see that review here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10578/philip-morris-revelation

However, the HoW version I was gifted is a big improvement from the earlier HoW versions I have smoked. The Cyprian latakia had some smoky woody strength in a supporting role, and was not dulled by time. The perique was a minor player, with spice and plum. The Virginia was grassy, citrus sweet. The burley was nutty, and a little earthy as it competed and complimented the Virginia. The Kentucky was lightly woody in the background. The fruity topping is pleasantly sweet, slightly tangy; the rum was just noticeable. There's some spice here that I have noticed in other HoW products that doesn't come from perique, so it must be the way one of the components was manufactured. Had a mild nic-hit. Burned well, reasonably cool, though it needed to be sipped a little, and left a dry bowl. Needed few relights. Had a decent after taste, and was an all day smoke.

It is common knowledge that HoW had severe quality control problems by the end of the 1990s, and into the 2000s before they ceased production in 2004. This version I have been smoking obviously came from one of the good batches, and I award it three stars. I'm leaving my overall rating at two stars because with HoW, you never know what you will get when you find a vintage tin.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another winner from the House of Windsor. This is another Virginia/Burley/Latakia/Perique mixture that circled the bases for me. I never tasted the Perique and the Latakia raised its head just once in awhile. There is a substantial top coating in this stuff, and it smelled and tasted very nice indeed. Revelation is regarded as the blend of choice by Albert Einstein. I think his palate also had a high IQ. This stuff is light, tasty,nicotine laden and doesn't bite a bit. What's not to like?

Update 5/15/05=

A fellow http://www.tobaccoreviews.com member recently was kind enough to send me a tin and several packs of Revelation. I have not opened the tin yet, so I don't know whether the tinned version is any different than the pouch version. (Although I'm not sure why, a blend sometimes tastes "different" when coming from a pouch rather than a tin and vice versa.) Anyway, it remains delicious. (IMO, of course)

Thankfully the topping scent doesn't translate exactly to the taste! I can taste extremely mild fruit but it blends in with the tobacco itself and actually makes this one better than I think it would be without the topping.

This has everything but the kitchen sink in it but it seems to work well. The latakia is noticeable but not overpowering. The taste is dominated by the virginias and the perique taste seems to "wander", showing up occasionally. After smoking and loving Cornell & Diehl's Epiphany and being told it was modeled after Revelation, I came into this with some bias. However, this doesn't smoke much like Epiphany at all, and I was told E was blended to taste like the old Philip Morris Revelation. At any rate, this is a worthy replacement, even though it is not as perfectly harmonious and flavorful as Epiphany.

If you can find this, give it a spin. It's a very congenial blend with a lot of flavor and no bite. It's just fun to smoke!

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This review is of the Philip Morris version of Revelation. I purchased a tin that I can only guess came from the 50's. The tin was sealed shut as it had a piano hinge on it and was taped with red tape around the top. Inside the tobacco was within a paper enclosure and was very dry when I first opened it.

I rehydrated to about where I like my tobaccos and had a go at it. I must say that there is no doubt in my mind that the lack of pleasure I derived from the blend is probably directly correlated to the detrimental effects of too much time in the tin.

The latakia had lost all its punch as very little smokiness remained. Ditto that on the topping and the burley was likewise flat. The smoke was very much of the cardboard variety.

Why do I mention all of this anyway? Well, my only point with this review is to say two things. 1. based on my experience with this sealed tin and the fact that this tobacco has not been produced in so long, I doubt any modern piper will ever know exactly what Einstein liked about this blend as it seems to me impossible to find it intact.

The second point is to advise someone against spending a lot of money to try this should you see an open tin appear on ebay or anywhere else. You will be disappointed.

As for the HOW version, I will take the word of all the experienced pipers I know who have tried it and just trust that I will continue to prefer C&D epiphany over that. :)

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently received a sample of Revelation from a pipe-forum friend and I am very happy that I took him up on his offer for a taste of this.

My sample was cube cut and easy to pack, light and smoke. When lit there’s a subtle fruity plum like flavor that lingers on the tip of the tongue. The latakia plays nicely in the background while a slight sweetness comes through with the pleasant toasty burley flavor. In short time the flavor becomes more complex with a heavy emphasis on musty, tangy & smoky. The mustiness mainly comes through on exhale and reminds me of the note I taste smoking Greg Pease's Barbary Coast.

Revelation produces plumes of cool rich tasting, spicy smoke. The flavors are perfectly balanced and well defined. Frankly, I enjoyed smoking this more than any of the modern day reproduction blends I have tried. There are a couple match blends that I really adore, so that's saying a lot.

If only all remaining samples of this discontinued blend could be this good..

Pipe Used: Briar

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Having finally had the chance to try this, I can see how R Blend and Painter Hills (and Epiphany to a large degree) are matches. The dark fruit is mild and helps meld the flavors, the Latakia, Kentucky, and VA play deep background supporting roles ('ll take their word on the Perique). I found it a bit bitey in the middle of the bowl, but otherwise a very nice, interesting smoke.

Pipe Used: various briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: about 9 years

Similar Blends: R Blend, Painter Hills, Epiphany.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As an OTC blend (although that's really not what it is anymore) this is reasonably good tobacco. It lights and burns easily with little tongue bite. If I have any criticism it's that somewhere in the middle of a bowl the flavors all become muddled. At first light I can distinguish various elements, but as the bowl progresses the various flavors seem to pool together into a relatively non-descript taste. I'm not a connoisseur and I don't always need to analyze each taste in a blend, but somehow this one ends up tasting like wet cardboard. Although burley is a fine tobacco, care must be taken when mixing it with a variety of others as it can flatline the taste. Still I can see where this blend could be a favorite for many.

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I love this stuff. It isn't choosy about its pipe, almost packs by itself,it's easy to keep a smolder going w/out huffing, price is very good and, oh, yes, the taste is terrific.

I bought 10 oz about 18 mos ago, misted it lightly with distilled water and put it away in a Ball jar. The treatment definitely didn't hurt and may have helped.

Couple caveats: my missus, who is usally reasonable about my pipeweed, complained that this one is beyond her tolerance level. Einstein may have liked it, but she doesn't. So I confine Revelation to my No Girls Allowed room.

Personally, I like the aroma a lot when I leave and then return to the room I've been smoking Revelation in. But smell seems to be an especially subjective sense ...

My supply of Revelation seems to have quite a bit of dust -- or small particles -- mixed in it. My packing routine usually deselects them.

Based on smoking Revelation in pipes that have been (mostly) dedicated to pipes used for either Latakia or Virginia blends, I'd say it has some tendency to leave a signature in a briar, although not a permanent one.

If you haven't yet tried Revelation, you certainly owe yourself a sample. Sometimes, in mid-bowl, I ask myself, "Why wouldn't someone like this?" And I haven't come up with an answer, yet.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pretty decent smoke, havent tried the "match", so cant say anything negative about it other that "match" usually means "no match whatsoever." Could smell some latakia along with a fruit-like undertone. It smoked dry, and didnt bite. All in all, a decent blend if you can find it.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've tried a Revelation match, available in the UK from McGahey's in Exeter. I don't know how like the old-time Revelation it is, because I don't have any basis for comparison.

Einstein liked it, apparently. Well, each to his own. Personally, I thought it rather insipid. Several flavours are there, but there is always the feeling that they could be stronger and more defined. Too many flavours, perhaps: a tobacco that tries to be too many things at once. All right, but … meh: a bit like drinking watered beer, I thought.

Somewhat recommended, for people who like ‘American' tobaccos, but I wouldn't buy it again. Not easy to come by in the UK anyway.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Revelation is another old House of Windsor offering that's a little different than their others like Union Leader, etc. Those who have smoked Country Doctor will see the similarity of these tobaccos. A motley combination of cubed white burley, darl cavendish like flakes and light flakes which are quite dry in consistency and idnicative of a possible tongue burner. Suprisingly, it is rather mild on the tongue with a slightly nutty flavour with a hint of latakia - though I could not detect any Perique as such. Revelation is better than most of the othe HOW offerings, but as I'm no latakia fan, it's not bad, but not one I'd wish for my desert island collection.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Getting hard to find, isn't it? Maybe that's why we've seen the major tobacco suppliers blending knock-offs of these old-timey blends. I found a couple of 10 oz. cannisters of the "real" Revelation (like that pictured above) at a nearby tobacconist and bought them both.

Why? Because this tobacco, to me anyway, is a rather mild English-like concoction that produces a room note like a downtown men's club and a comfortable aroma that one can enjoy all day long. It's easy to pack in the pipe and there's virtually none of the tongue bite often associated with many Latakia/Perique blends. There are more expensive and fuller, more rounded English blends to be sure, but I keep on coming back to this old standby. It's not as suffocating as some of the really strong English blends can be.

Forget about the "drug store" variety of this tobacco; don't try to figure out what the flavoring is. Just sit back and enjoy a blend that grows on you with time. For some reason you'll find yourself coming back to it again and again...if you can find it.

I first smoked Revelation back in the late 70's, early 80's, and recall it being my first tobacco with Latakia that I could tolerate on a regular basis. I loved the packaging - a nice little box with the sealed foil packet. I distinctly remember the packaging saying, "a fruity, nutty blend." Well, I never really tasted anything that reminded me of fruit, and as for nutty, well, not really. Mind you, I was new to the game and couldn't taste much beyond the Latakia. I still have another box - well over 25 years old (the quoted description now saying, "it's mild and mellow"). From time to time, I smoke a half-bowl in a very small-bowled pipe just for old times sake and find it quite enjoyable. It is not the HOW version (I never had that version), as my package says it is made under authority of Philip Morris by United States Tobacco Co. What a shame it is no longer being produced as what little I have still delivers true tobacco taste and enjoyment.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This Tobacco is a BEAUTY!!!The only Tobacco i can take..CLOSE MY EYES AND LITTERALLY,Fill "ANY"one of my pipes(Calabash,Briar,Corn Cob,Clay,Ch'Wrdn,Meer..Big,Small,Medium)...smoke it Fast-or-Slow...ALL GOOD,ANYTIME! Just Fill,Light,and...GO,GO,GO!!! :+)

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)

This has been one of my all time favorite blends for almost 40 years. I smoked this on occasion years ago when it was a Phillip Morris product, back in the day we used to consider this a ?very strong? blend. Ten or so years ago when House of Windsor brought it back I was ecstatic and it became my ?go to? tobacco for a number of years. This appears to me to be predominately burley with a seasoning of more flavorful condiment tobaccos, topped with a very light flavoring which some have described as almost ?fruity or citrus? in nature. I certainly no longer consider this as a ?strong? blend simply flavorful for an over the counter burley. Burns cool with not a hint of bite. I am carefully hoarding my remaining supply of Revelation and will definitely seek out one of the ?matches? currently available.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Invariably dry in the pouch as I have purchased it, this is one of those strange tobaccos which I like, but can't quite bing myself to smoke continuously. I'll start thinking about Revelation, I'll go out and buy a package, dump its crunchy contents into a ziplock and spray with distilled H2o to rehydrate, then I'll get on a "Revelation kick", I'll revel in the complexity of the 5 tobaccos, drink like mead the smooth pepper/campfire notes, I'll marvel at the discreet topdresing and I'll fall in love with the way my dank old Volvo smells after I smoke it with the windows closed. I almost completely abandon my usual daytime burleys, burn through about 1.5 packages in a week and all of a sudden I loose my taste for it all of a sudden it seems flat and harsh...then in about a month or two, the same thing happens again...this has been going on for at least a year now...I suspect that it was better in the olden days and came across as something more along the lines of a Fox and Hound or other mild mild english. The top dressing is berryish, similar in some ways to that of Kentucky Club (different blender) and I can't seem to notice any perique at all, although I certainly can smell the latakia in the mixture and it probably would smoke alot hotter without it in the mix. The room note has recieved the typical unfavorable commentary from the female but I can't imagine it's any worse than any other tobacco. Try mixing this 2:1 with Middletons Cherry blend,the combination is pretty damn good as an all day smoke if you are a lover of "industrialized tobacco" like I am...

If you haven't tried it, go ahead and grab a pouch just to see what all the hoopla is about. I concur with the folks who have mentioned that if it came in a fancier tin with a heftier pricetag it would probably get better reviews for it is a strangely engaging kind of a smoke.

Recommended

P.S By the way...Did you know Einstein smoked this?...;)

UPDATE 1/15/09: Took a year long hiatus from this and started back in on some pouches I purchased about two years ago. I seem to have gotten what might have been the last of the production run. Very "quality uncontrolled" from pouch to pouchwith a ton of casing on one pouch, almost none on the others, just seemed like a different blend of tobacco too. Unfortunately this tobacco is apparently completely out of production now. Just the other day I picked up a sealed plastic tub that had beeen lurking on the bottom shelf of my tobacconist for at least 5 years for HALF of it's sticker price (total cost about $12). I figure MAYBE it is still the quality stuff I remember. I'll probably hold onto it for a while before opening it...

what a shame...

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this in a sampler pack of House of Windsor tins. Revelation was several cuts above the rest of them. I have no way to compare to the old blend, but from the old Life magazine ads I've seen, it looked to be a very popular and easily obtainable brand, economically priced.

The cut of the tobacco was rather short and chunky, and it loaded easily. The aroma in the tin was hard to pin down, very pleasant and spicy. When I first smoked this, it seemed very strong to me as a very new pipe smoker. It stayed lit well even with a laid back puffing speed, and didn't taste like it smelled, just a fairly full tobacco flavor. I burned through this quicker than any of the other tins, but was discouraged from grabbing a large tin of this by strangely high prices of these blends.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now, I understand the popularity of this blend years ago. This is a Latakia blend with a pinch of perique and a very light fruity topping. Never mind Enistien the guy had five of the same suits what dose that tell you about the guy? The guys who made this popular are your grandfather's. Now it is best to smoke this in a smaller bowl or the flavor will die out in a larger pipe. Burns well packs easy smokes good fresh or dry. To bad they make it near impossible to find today. The best of the House Of Windsor Blends. I also would recommend JUNKYARD DAWG if you like Revelation. Here is a tip you can mix both and make the Revelation go a lot further. JUNKYARD is nearly the same but without the topping & perique. As one of the other reviewers said."There is somthing to please everyone with this blend."

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

HoW blends are pretty good. They are like good otc blends, but they sell at a premium price. Coupled with sporadic availability, they seem to be doomed.

I like Revelation. It is a classic American blend. It may not be like the original, but that doesn't really matter these days. There aren't too many pipesters who remember the original anyway.

Taken on its own terms it is good. However, it is not worth what it is usually priced at on the net. If you can find it locally, and the price is right, I heartily recommend it. Otherwise, there are many, better quality blends in a similar vein.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is one of those blends that I remember my Dad smoking back in the sixties. So many have reviewed this blend that I will keep my comments short. The blend is easy to pack, seldom needs a re-light and burns down to a grey/white ash. I find this smoke experience very pleasant and a nice chance of pace from my usual heavy English blends. On the initial light one does need to take care so as not to develop tongue-bite from the get-go. This can be an easy blend to overheat due to the type of cut. The virginia and burley seem to be the main components with the other tobaccos dancing in and around them. A nice change of pace.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

This is a difficult tobacco to rate. Compared to others of its kind, this is the Bentley of drugstore blends. The problem, though, is that this stuff can barely be found at any drugstore these days. You'll most likely find it amongst the many premium blends at some of the more popular online tobacco shops. So, in that sense, it's not as readily accessible as something like Captain Black, Half & Half, or Prince Albert--which are its more natural peers.

Taking that into consideration, it blows the previous blends away in taste and complexity..but still falls far short of the many premium blends currently on the market. What I can say, though, is that I would smoke a ton of this stuff, and far less of the premium stuff, if it were still available around the corner in a Rite Aid. But it's not. I can buy a pouch of this stuff at Pipesandcigars for a little over three bucks or a tin of Dunhill for less than five dollars at JRcigars--what would you do? It's just bad marketing in my opinion.

Regarding taste, I find that the Burley and Perique are the most dominant elements in the blend. I understand that this contains Latakia, and I would never guess that if I hadn't been informed. The "fruity" topping is barely noticeable, in my opinion. So if you're worried about a strangely aromatic smoke, don't bother to concern yourself. The tobacco is here, far in the front.

It really is a shame I can't buy this stuff in the drugstore. It would make things so much easier.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Albert was a very smart man with good taste in tobacco. Another all day smoke. AAA++++

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Every time I light this up, I wonder why it isn't a regular. Must be the dreaded "cheap smoke" prejudice common to all blends once sold in drugstores. It really is a tasty burley smoke. I try to associate my tobaccos with similar tasting ones, but this one doesn't have a comparison.

It has a very light flavoring that is also hard to define, but I wouldn't classify it as an aromatic. It seems to be indifferent to bowl size, but as with many burley blends, it is best in a cob. Don't pack tightly, light once and you're set.

Definitely a must-try for burley smokers. Like Prince Albert, it needs a higher price, a new name and reintroduced as a boutique blend.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Revised 4.30.05

Yesterday I could not find my open tin of Dunhill's London Mixture so I popped a tin of Revelation open and filled one of my best Latakia pipes.

Granular in texture, Revelation is very easy to fill the pipe with. No 'packing' needed - a gravity fill does the job nicely.

Upon lighting I was surprised that this was not a simple burley and latakia mixture! The VA was there, under the burley and the latakia was there.. and the perique is in the background doing it's own thing. This is a blend with some complexity.

After smoking nearly a full tin, I've adjusted my initial thoughts. The smoke is pleasant all the way down the bowl though at times it can be nippy to the tongue. At the halfway mark the VA's start popping out a bit more as well as the perique. Revelation never does get sour or wet. Harmonious, this is a more complicated little offering than most and does well in smaller bowls for my consumption.

Recommended for those who like a light to medium English with a touch of the Louisiana product. I've got a smaller Castello Sea Rock that loves this blend.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)

I'm sitting here puffing away yet another bowl of this wonderful tobacco. Revelation is a smooth non-biting lightly topped tobacco.I would agree with others that it is some kindy of berry casing. The casing is very light, kinda like an 'essence of berry" not your typical dripping wet, steam producing, tounge biting, horrible stuff that you find in the jars of most 'baccy shops. The bowl is good all the way down with no bitter burley finish. In fact thats how you can tell the bowl is empty, if any bitter taste is detected you know its time for a refill, as there is nothing but ash left. No sloppy dottle. I can't fathom why this blend was discontinued, it is absolutely top notch and just as good as the Dunhill's, C&D's and Pease blends I smoke. It performs well in all pipes I have and the wife likes the room note. I strongly recommend this blend to all pipesters new & old alike. If this is any kind of indication as to what "drug store" blends were like, I was born in the wrong era PS: I've smoked 4 pouches of this and am currently working on a 10 oz can. They are both excellent. 2/16/05

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The dust has long settled on the now defunct House of Windsor. The hype that surrounded the release of a whole bunch of old timey blends is nearly forgotten. But darn, I really miss this blend. I've found, way at the back of one of my tobacco drawers, about 1/3 of a tin and have been smoking this at intervals, knowing that when it's gone, it's REALLY gone. A truly great blend. Real "oomph". Lots of varied tobacco flavors that are not so much a melody, or nuance or any of that, but more of a riot. In your face. Loud and noisy. And yet actually a smooth smoke. Never got bit or jostled by this one. Knowing what I know now and having tried a lot of other tobaccos in the interim, if HOW were still in operation I'd buy up a couple of truckloads of Revelation, Country Doctor and Briggs.

Revelation. Einsteins blend. RIP....earlier review follows:

I'll just try to add a few notes here to what the other reviewers have already said. I came to this blend as a smoker of very simple no frills burleys. It has proved to be a delightful change of pace and is one of best of the HOW lineup, IMHO. Yep, it seems dry in the can, but lights easily and needs few relights. I've experience no tongue bite and can smoke it down to the nubs with no backlash. I enjoy the basic burley/ virginia taste which remains in the foreground, and the hint of Latakia which remains in the backround but for me never disappears. In my mind this is several rungs up the ladder from the simple drug store burley blends due to the hint of complexity and richness that you don't see in those others. Especially if smoked very slowly.

Funny thing: my 4 oz. can has held a moderately strong scent of some topping that others have referred to. My 10 oz. can has little to no smell other than that of tobacco, but smokes the same and taste just as great. I rarely go through one day without at least one bowl of this great old blend. Highly recommended, especially for the burley smoker looking for something a little different.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hey?!!! This stuff ain't bad! Another winner brought back from beyond the grave by HOW. They certainly had more winners than losers. This blend is very pleasant in that old school way that you never see anymore. It is very similiar to Country Doc but with more of a berry casing added in. This will be great in the summertime rotation!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first reaction upon opening the can was that compared to most other tins of tobacco, this mix looked too dry. If you tried to fill your pipe in a strong wind most of the tobacco would escape. Someone compared the consistency to flake-type fish food. Pretty close. First sniff of opened container...Smells great. I failed to detect any real topping or casing smell. It just smells like tobacco should. It smokes well requiring few relights. I'm one who avoids smoking into the bitter zone (the bottom 20-30% of the bowl). To me it's like smoking the final inch of a non-filter cigarette. Tastes bad, bad for you too. The only problem I've had with this tobacco is obtaining it! It took me many tries on the internet to actually get some and none of the local suppliers stock it or have had any luck getting it. Bottom line is...where can I buy the 12 oz. can?

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I will be a dissenter on this blend. I gave it a fair chance in five different pipes on five different days and I just didn?t care for it. The first third of the bowl was pleasant enough but it became increasingly harsh and bit me towards the bottom of the bowls. I may not a fan of Latakia or Perique in large doses and it was perhaps these tobaccos that swayed me negatively but I?m not saying this blend contains an over abundance of these tobaccos. Maybe it?s just me but Revelation fell short of what I expected based on previous reviews. As concerns HOW blends and the five I?ve tried, I much prefer Country Doctor and Union Leader.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered this last fall and smoked it for the first time at a highschool football game. The cool air and this blend brought me into some sort of smokers euphoria and took me back in time. For a while I could not get enough, the mixture of burleys, latatkia , perique, and virginas created a much different flavor and experiance than I was used to with english blends. I think I have a hold on my addiction now, however I now seek out blends of this type whenever possible. Keep it comming House of Windsor!

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)

My last few experiences with Burley blends left me unimpressed. After reading the reviews for Revelation and the other House of Windsor blends, I decided to get back in the saddle and try again.

I'm glad that I did. Revelation is a wonderful smoke: cool and mild, perfect for those times when you have a pipe stuck in your face while walking the dog or doing yard work.

The leaf is very, very dry out of the 2 oz. pouch, so smoke it fast or move it into a sealing storage container. The 4 oz. can works better then the pouch for intermediate storage. The cut is mixed, including a few longer ribbons and mostly shorter "chaff", but it packs and lights well.

The casing is somewhat noticeable at first, but it is not unpleasant or offensive. Most of the residual sweetness comes from the topping and not from the Virginia leaf, which seems to be mostly present for color. If there is Latakia and Orientals here, they stay well hidden in the background. This is a Burley blend first and foremost.

The bottom half of the bowl provides a different smoke - the topping is mostly gone and is replaced with a mellow nuttiness that retains a mild sweetness. The leaf is easy to light and burns well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I experienced no excessive moisture in the bowl in any pipe I smoked this in. A good cake builder; I might use this blend to break in new pipes.

This is not a rich or fancy tobacco. Revelation provides a blue collar smoke with a lot of bang for the buck. I don't know how many more Burley blends I will try, but this one goes into the rotation.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable