A light english blend of bright and dark Virginias, Burley, Black Cavendish and a hint of Latakia. A mild smoke.

BrandReiner
2.2
tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tina Aroma: Very dusky, a sweet undertone which cn only be the Cavendish.

Physical Characteristics: Light brown dominates, but not by much. The dark brown/black makes up about 40% of the blend. Some tendency towards clumping up in the tin, as well as during packing.

First Light: They call this a light english, but I believe I would place it in a medium English category, owing to the latakia and cavendish conmspiring to give this blend a bit more body and robustness than I was expecting from it.

Notes: This is a very rich and dark tasting blend, equally suited to a wake up call, or as an after-dinner smoke. However, the robustness of it comes mostly from the Cavendish, not form Orientals or Latakia, hence the 'Light English' moniker. I enjoyed the tin of it that I smoked, but doubt that I will purchase more. Though I do need a couple of light Latakia blends in my cellar, and my rotation, there is just too much Cavendish here for me.

ScottishPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottishPiper (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The first thing I noticed is the tin aroma is certainly not your typical English...smells very sweet, maybe a maple casing. I see some rubbed Virginia's, what I think is rough cut Kentucky, and a splash a latakia. The tobacco is nice and dry, and was packaged in the "muffin cup" wrapping. Despite what the package says this is a straight aromatic, and at that, it succeeds.

I recommend this to the aromatic smoker who wants his friends to think he has stepped it up to English...

This tobacco is loaded with Cavendish and light on the Latakia. Still, it does have some flavor and is pretty smooth. I can see where latakia fans might wonder "where's the beef?"

The leaf is rather chunky and the Burley element gives this one some American English charm. A cool blend that is unique in flavor. I rather liked it.

anon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anon (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this to be a fair tobacco. I must say that I normally smoke traditional full Englishes and Balkan mixtures.

This tobacco is clearly cased a bit. The cut is a little chunky, put packs easily enough and lights fine. Doesn't burn quite to the fine ash that I like, but is acceptable. The taste is good - clearly the Cavendish is present, and the latakia is just hanging around in the background. This would be a decent smoke for those starting to get a taste for latakia, but I think better latakia intro tobacccos are around.

What I smoked was fairly dry, about my ideal smoking humidity. It still smoked a little wet, and had more tongue bite than I am used to.

In short, I did not mind this tobacco. It is tasty, but if I want something with latakia in it, I usually go for something a little more "no nonsense," and if I want to smoke something lighter and sweeter, I usually would go for something further in that direction.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)

Aside from Long Golden Flake, I've never been all that excited about Reiner products. As has already been stated, this stuff is heavy on the cavendish, light on the latakia. If I was trying to introduce a rooky to latakia, I might recommend a tin of this, because there's really nothing wrong with it. It's just not that good.