Crimp-cut, mild smoking mixture. Made in the USA.

Notes: Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee. The Prince Albert Blends were introduced by R.J Reynolds in 1907. R.J. Reynolds sold the brand to the John Middleton Tobacco Company, Limerick, PA, in 1987, who has been producing it ever since.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Blended ByJohn Middleton, Inc
Manufactured ByJohn Middleton, Inc.
Blend TypeBurley Based
Taste

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (26)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'll admit, for many years I was too much of a tobacco snob to try PA. I mean, come on, my grandpa smoked this stuff. But wait! I always loved going to visit Grandpa; I loved the scent of his pipe. So, I checked out the reviews here on this page, and they encouraged me to give PA a try. I had to wait till I was back in the States, though, since I cannot buy it here in Germany. Finally, in 2011, I had a chance. Well, I was pleasantly surprised...

Packaging: old-fashioned, but nostalgic, although I wish that the description on the pouch were better. Whether you buy the cellophane wrapped box with "luxury" pouch or the tub, both will have kept your PA from drying out. The "luxury" pouch is somewhat awkward and doesn't close well, making it difficult to keep the tobacco moist. The tub does a fantastic job of keeping the tobacco just right, even over a long period of time (right now, I am finishing a tub I opened 14 months ago, and the moisture content is just fine. Contrary to several other reviewers, I do not detect any traces of propylene glycol.

Pouch/tub note: typical nutty Burley aroma; I detect no additional flavoring.

Room note: pleasant, sweet, crowd pleasing, commonly draws remarks like: "Mmm! My grandpa used to smoke something that smelled like that!"

Smoke: PA has a fine cut, which allows for an initial gravity filling of the bowl. It packs well and lights up easily. The burn is cool and even. It is possible to rush this and get "tobacco juice" and tongue bite, but you really have to try hard. The taste is pleasant, ranging from coffee and chocolate to nuts and licorice.

As many have remarked, this is not a gourmet meal, but rather meat-n-potatoes. I would recommend this to any pipe smoker, expert or novice, fan of English or aromatic. It is a good smoke any time of day.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)

What can I say that hasn't been said already? For an Over the Counter (OTC) blend, Prince Albert really has no counterpart. I rate it that high. Although switching hands several times, and perhaps tweaking the recipe along the way, this blend has been in continuous production since 1856. And that's all you need to know. It was there during the Civil War! PA has always been a very versatile tobacco, used not only for pipe smoking, but for roll your own cigarettes, as well as a chew. It has a tremendous history, and was a mainstay for generations of smokers, throughout the later part of the 19th Century, and all of the 20th Century as well. Now its still here as we begin the 21st Century. Something obviously must be right with this blend to have lasted so long.

It's primarily a burley blend, with a Virginia base, although I think the Virginias are less than 15%. There is a slight casing reminding me of anise or faint vanilla / chocolate.It's a crimp ribbon cut and packs by gravitation quite readily. Don't tamp too hard however as its a bit moist out of the tin and needs a light packing. It's easy to light and the whole bowl will burn on a single initial post-charring light. The blend smokes very smoothly and very cool. No tongue bite here, even if you pull forcefully. Smokes down to a pearly white ash, with nary a dottle remaining.

I use PA in my pipe tobacco rotations, and it is never far from reach. It's also an ideal blend to use for home blending. Try adding 15% Latakia to PA for a real nice smoke. I haven't tried adding Perique, but I know some pipe smokers that swear by it: a Burley / Perique blend. Also, what I really like about PA, is that it serves as an excellent palate cleanser. I am a Latakia hound and will consume Lat blends up to 50% (like Star of the East) with relish, bowl after bowl. However, it can produce a sensory overload, and a good way to clean the slate so to speak is to down a few bowls of PA. Then upon returning to the Lat blends, they taste a new and the palate is refreshed. A pipe smokers mouthwash if you will.

So, give the old PA a go, and as you smoke think of the countless number of grandfathers who lived off of the stuff. It'll bring a smile to your face, as the wisdom of the ages awashes your senses. I rate it four out of four stars!

Smoke in Health & Happiness,

Kashmir

After nearly 40 years of pipe smoking, I finally decided to try this blend. I was initially put off by the chemical taste, but after dedicating one briar and one corncob to it, PA has a mild chocolate and molasses taste along with some nuttiness and earth. Has a little bourbon in the topping. Burns at a reasonable rate to ash with little trouble. There is an inconsistency in the flavor because the topping will flash off a bit in the last quarter of the experience, and you'll get both a mild harshness and some cigarette notes if you are a fast puffer. Your taste buds will also get more of the tobacco themselves. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite. Doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Easily an all day smoke. One of the few tobaccos I have smoked that m'lady commented favorably on when she smelled it. I give it two and half stars mostly because of aforementioned drawbacks.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Random smallish pieces, uniform medium brown

Aroma: Smells like just a plain burley, possibly a trace of top dressing. I can?t identify it, nor am I positive it?s even here.

Packing: Can be packed into any size bowl just by putting the pipe into the pouch and feeding with one finger. It is possible to pack a pipe in your car, with one hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road. However, see warning below

Lighting: Classic one-match light is the rule.

Initial flavor: Just Burley, nothing else. Nutty, and just a little bitter.

Mid-bowl: Nice cool dry smoke. You have to like Burley to enjoy this. There is a fairly good jolt of nicotine in it, so it MAY NOT be the best thing to smoke while driving.

Finish: A bit more harsh at the bottom, but not a problem.

Summary: An excellent choice in a cob. A good change of pace if you get tired of blends, or matured Virginias

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Allright you lot, you've picked on a good pal of mine for far too long now and it's high time I come to the aid good Prince with my own personal songs of praise. That's right, praise, and praise of the highest kind that I can here muster.

A little history here before we begin. For years I was a devoted English blend smoker, and the more Latakia, the better. If ever I would venture into any other sort of blend styles, you could bet that there would still be a good portion of condimental leaf to back them up. Sweet Mamma Latakia was my main squeeze, and Papa Perique was her Pimp Daddy. Gags and wheezes from all within a hundred yards of me be damned. Who needs friends when you have Pirate Kake?

One day, oh, about five years ago, I did something unexpected: I bought a pouch of Prince Albert. I cannot say just why. In my initial pipe smoking of the early years I had tried nearly all that my local drug store had to offer in the way of tobacco and, as far as I was concerned, I could go to the grave without ever tearing open a foil package again. I was amused by the voluptuous red envelope within the carton, how the supple, synthetic material would have made the tobacco inside feel fresh no matter how long it had been on the shelf. Upon opening, I was greeted with the sort of smell that was far from what I was accustomed to with the sort of blends I usually kept on hand; musty, nutty, but with a fresh sweetness. No great contrasts between brights and blacks here, just on uniform, friendly, woody brown. Phu...child's play. I supposed that I may as well smoke some all the same. With packing, I encountered not the cracking, dust dry tinder I had expected, nor the finger-sticking glycol goop that is the other much bemoaned end of the drug store spectrum. This felt like all blends should feel, fluffy, yet substantial. It packed well, then again, I almost always pack well, more me than the tobacco, I was sure. Well then, time to light up. 'Sweet mother of all that is good and pure!'

That's right. I was from that moment hooked. It was burley. It was the kind of burley that I had sometimes heard of, a cool, creamy, nutty leaf that is always there when you need a friend. It was the kind of burley that made me realize why this crop mutation from the eighteen sixties was kept around at all. Today and ever after Prince Albert is with me always. This is not to say that I have forsaken all other blends--I hate people who do that--just that I now have a standard against which all other tobacco is judged. Keep them coming you Pease's and Tarler's and Books' of the world, I'll gladly load up on anything you put out there, be assured though with them, as with all others, I am bold to say- 'Yes, it's good, but it's not PA.' (Please note that this review was written and posted some time ago and has merely been edited to remove simple errors. My opinion of Prince Albert as given here still holds, however)

Regards, A. Morley Jaques

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

As a dedicated English blend smoker for forty plus years who has fairly recently been taken with C&D's Burley flakes and especially Old Joe Krantz, I gave into the temptation to pick up a pouch of this a couple of days ago. In general I have enjoyed no codger blend with only Carter Hall getting a "dire emergency" pass. And I mean dire. But I had never tasted PA and it was time. Unlike everyone else here, my pouch must have languished on the shelf for quite some time. The dark, broken ribbons were dry. No evidence of PG ever being in it either - THAT dry. Pouch note was pure tobacco - no toppings/casings could I detect, just a dry grassy, musty, tobacco aroma. This was good news for me. I can't take flavorings in general.

Loading a corncob was easy, instant ignition with no relight necessary. Initial hit of flavor, just plain good burley. I debated with myself to rate it as "Extremely mild" in ratings as many have here. But honestly I could not place the flavor as added, just "seasoned" a tad. This means to me that the cavendish denotes slightly sweetened, not otherwise flavored. By the same token I don't consider sugar a flavoring in my cooking, just an enhancer like salt. Hence, seasoning. Same here.

I am smoking a cob right now as I type and thoroughly enjoying it. It's very mild, no Nic bomb here. It seems mostly dark burley which I like. Effortless smoking with only a too quick burn for disappointment, even after I added moisture. I thought adding some moisture would bring to the fore any casings; no, I can't find any.

Pleasant aftertaste, no bite to write about. I cannot liken it to any prepared blend, just my home mixes of Burley/Virginias - this better than mine. Effortless pleasure. I cannot see how this is compared to Carter Hall in the least except sitting on the same shelf at the retailer.

I thought I was buying a pouch destined to occupy my Jeep console for the times when I forget to pack a favorite blend. What I found was a keeper. No surprise it's in the Hall of Fame.

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Cigar Express, McKees Rocks, PA

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Oh yeah baby! I have purchased pouches of the Prince many times over the years and smoke the stuff up just for the fun and nostalgia. Pure burley, cool and pleasant. The room note sends the ladies running--in your direction!

If cheap and tasty rings your bell, then ding-a-ling, grab a pouch of the Prince!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

"Cheap, sour burley" was my initial reaction to this old drugstore blend. Then it occurred to me that people who like bitter Dutch beer or black, unsugared coffee might enjoy the initial astringency of this otherwise mild burley cavendish. It is just the taste of Burley tobacco. And after I tried it in a small-bowled pipe and got it to smolder smooth and quiet, the cashew-nut gentleness kind of appealed to me. Nice, smokey after-taste. I managed the whole pipe with just one match. Considering that the pouch cost a couple of bucks (1 ½ ounce) members of the brotherhood on a fixed income might enjoy Prince Albert quite a bit, especially if they are slow-puffers. Overheat this and it will get sour and bite like hell.

I am not sure what "crimp cut" means, as it refers to some older American description. In the pouch, this looks, smells and is cut like a typical Cavendish burley blend. I don't quite see how one could roll it into a cigarette. Too thick.

Mind you, I am talking about the straight PA in the red-coloured pouch or can. AVOID the cased versions, they are AWFUL.

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)

The Prince Albert in the can joke is older than I am. OTC blends are held in such distain that I avoided them, until now. Curiosity finally got the better of me.

The good: It's cheap, I mean - really cheap. It is readily available at almost any drug or grocery store. It comes in either a handy size 1.5 oz. pouch or the large jar. Perfect moisture right out of the pouch. To say that this blend lights easily would be an understatement. One simply has to touch the flame to the tobacco, and it lights instantly and fully. Burns superbly, almost no relights are necessary. Lots of smoke. Pleasant aroma. Burns COOL. Delicate taste. No bite. Zero dottle.

The bad: Very mild monochromatic taste. Must be sipped for maximum enjoyment. Puffing can and will cause the burley to become harsh, and the taste can erode quickly mid-bowl if this happens. Burns so easily that the bowl doesn't last all that long.

Recommendations: Gravity pack VERY loosely. Light touch with the tamper. Gentle light. Always sip.

I can see now why this blend has been around for decades, and why it was a staple of our grandfathers. For the money, it isn't half bad - a pleasant surprise. A nice change of pace from smoking Latakia bombs, Balkan's, aromatics, straight Virginia's, flakes, and the dreaded tongue burners.

joeyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeyB (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been smoking pipes for about 10 years. Based on everything I've read, I was expecting PA to be a very low quality smoke. One of those 'last resort' burleys that is either going to be as flat as a cigarette or as chock full of chemicals as cotton candy, or both. I've tried samples of some of the other OTC stuff that people have gifted to me (Half & Half, Carter Hall, Walnut), and came to the conclusion that I probably wasn't a burley fan. Those experiences were enough to reassure me that I was doing the right thing shelling out the big bucks for the high end Dunhill classics, pricey VaPers, quality aged virginias, and of course the powerful new english blends that today's master blenders are expertly cranking out. All of that stuff is great.

Then I recently bought a new pipe and had been thinking all week about what I might want to break it in with. I happened to be standing in line at the grocery store, and saw the familiar large tubs of PA, as well as the pouches. Just for the heck of it, I decided to pick up a pouch for $4. I'd always heard PA was great for breaking in pipes, so I figured, what the heck, I'd try a few bowls and if I liked it well enough I may break in the new Sav with it. Opening the pouch, the ribbons seemed to be of a basically perfect consistency and moisture. I'm not sure how long the pouch had been sitting on the shelf, but there was no trace of the dreaded crystalline goop that is expected with most OTC blends. It loaded in the bowl very nicely, and then I learned the first lesson: yes, as many here have said, it really is a "light it and forget it" tobacco. It is very easy to smoke the entire bowl on one light, without it ever getting hot or gurgley, or threatening to go out. The taste was very nice, cool and creamy. The smoke had body and flavor, but it wasn't overwhelming at all. One of the things I like about smoking lat blends is the nice, cool, thick creamy satisfying smoke on every draw, without ever burning too hot or biting. PA definitely has some of those qualities, but without the ashy-mouth charred-throat feeling that you sometimes get with a large bowl of a heavy duty english. Don't get me wrong, at certain times I like a bowl that will make your eyes water as much as the next guy. But PA is the first blend I've tried where I felt a very satisfying draw (unlike the empty hot-air feel that you can get from aros or even some great VAs), but then afterwards my mouth felt and tasted fresh, and the room note was really pretty pleasant. And I can see why people say it is a good break-in tobacco: the bowl just always seems to effortlessly burn down evenly with hardly a relight, and for me every single time the bowl is burned down 100% to a fine white ash. I can definitely see how this was kind of a "standard" blend for many, many years. Nothing about it is outstanding, but it doesn't have any real flaws either, and is pretty satisfying all the way around. I'm definitely not about to go toss out all of my wonderful fancy blends. But I probably will always keep a tub of PA around as a regular part of my rotation. And I will also keep around a tub of grains of salt for use when listening to the conventional wisdom and herd mentality regarding some of the fads that go around. I've paid many times this for tins that come highly recommended from websites and blogs and have ended up with blends far more disappointing than PA. I get the feeling that, if this tobacco had been discontinued for a few decades, people would probably be ranting and raving about how excellent it was and paying exorbitant rates for it in online auctions (like with, say, Edgeworth Sliced). A lot of pipe smokers seems to let the availability of a blend affect its perceived value. Don't let the fact that it is abundant and cheap lead you to miss out on this great tobacco.

For the record, my current top blends are: Frog Morton's Cellar, Dunhill My Mixture, FVF, Escudo

EDIT: It's almost a year since I've written this review, and I've kept PA as part of my regular rotation since then. I work it in every 3 or 4 bowls or so, and enjoy it thoroughly. I bought a couple of the big tubs very cheap at the grocery store and put it in some large mason jars, and I'm sure I'll be smoking that for a long time.

Pipe Used: MM cob, new Savinelli BIlliard

Age When Smoked: New pouch...may have been on shelf for a while!

Purchased From: Grocery store

JosephJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JosephJames (12)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, this is an absurdly cheap tobacco. I bought the pouch at my local grocer for $3.

The pouch note reminds me of chewing tobacco.

I don't find this as good as SWR, but it is a very good burley based tobacco. Plenty of flavor and not likely to offend many bystanders as the odor is fairly pleasant. I did find this to be better than Carter Hall or Half and Half.

The old tins of this state "pipe and cigarette" tobacco; however, the cut of this is not what I would call a ribbon and must have changed over the years. Very easy to pack and light. No extra lighting needed. I didn't find this to burn fast or hot, but I got more flavor from it by sipping versus going steam train with it. No issues with it making my pipe wet. No real negatives, no super positives. This is about as plain Jane as it gets with tobacco.

If you do not have a huge budget for tobacco and lack a cellar stockpile, this is an inexpensive and decent tobacco that I would recommend as an all day smoke.

Edit: I like it so much I keep a can in the floorboard of my car now. It has become my most frequent smoke of late.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Purchased From: Ingles supermarket

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

10/22/2008 Can't complain a lot about this baccy but can't get excited either. It is near the top of the heap for a drug store blend but I have to say that I think Carter Hall has it beat hands down.

PA comes in about as perfect a form as possible. Just the right amount of moisture and a perfect cut with no chunks or sticks. The pouch aroma is very pleasant. It packs easily, lights easily, stays lit well, puts out clouds of smoke without having to suck up and has an acceptable room aroma. One problem I experienced was that from a full bowl, at about 2/3 down in the bowl, it started to get stronger and stronger until I had to dump it because of the foul taste it was putting out. Cutting the bowl pack to about 2/3 or smoking it in a wide bowl alleviates this. The only other problem, which I consider the worst, is that it leaves a really bad after odor in the pipe that lingers a long, long time.

If this were just a so,so blend, I would give it three stars but because it has some shortcomings that I cannot live with for continued use, I give it 2 stars.

Update 1/26/2010 Have learned by experience that this baccy has to be dried a bit to keep it from becoming overpowering in smoking it and from leaving bad after taste and odors in the pipe while smoking a full bowl. Upgrading to 3 stars and will continue to work with it.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I just let Prince Albert out of the can today! Actually, this is nothing new to me...

I'd mostly recommend this to those new to the pipe, as it is a nice cool mellow nutty sweetish smoke. It needs no drying time out of the can. Even if you're learning to pack a pipe, you'd have little trouble with PA, and it would still burn well; stay lite, and burn cool for you, even if your pack were a bit uneven.

If your gal is one that doesn't cotton to the smell of smoke, she'd more likely tolerate PA because it's pretty darn pleasant, providing you don't pull on the pipe like a freight-train.

PA is not a gooey blend that will gum-up your pipe like some of the heavily cased cavs, and the scent that's left in the pipe is not too bad either, IF you stay on top of maintenance as anyone should if they want a good clean smoke each time.

I used to keep in on hand years ago, but lost interest as I progressed to higher end blends. But, today while shopping, I thought to give it another shot...it had been quite a while, and I'm glad I did. It's cheap, convenient, and I seem to like it more now than I did years ago. So there `ya go.

smoke65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke65 (4)

With age comes wisdom. I just discovered PA a couple of years ago and I wish I had sooner. It's a simple burley that is truly as reliable as a friend. The cost doesn't hurt the wallet.

For me it's premium smoke at a working man's price. Love it

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (25)

I bought a tin at some sort of tobacco outlet in Kentucky - yeah, a burley in Kentucky. I had tried Sir Walter Raleigh and Half&Half. I was wanting to try another of the classic American burleys, and of course there's the joke. That sealed it. I gave it a try, and boy, am I glad I did.

On opening the tin, I got a whiff of burley. The aroma takes me back to the smell of a Kentucky tobacco barn in the late fall when the tobacco is curing. The cut is described as a crimp cut. It looks sort of like someone took a ribbon-cut and sliced the ribbons into shorter pieces. Maybe that's what other crimp cuts look like. I know of one or two B&M stores that do their own blending that offer crimp cut tobaccos, but I've never tried for comparison.

On lighting, I got the flavor of a mellow burley - nutty and tasty, not overwhelming. I don't taste a casing, but others have described one and have guessed at what it might be. As just about every tobacco - even English blends - have some sort of casing, I will buy that it's there, but it's so light that I didn't notice. What I get is a smooth, mellow burley without any bite. It's not overly strong, yet it still has enough nicotine to have it in a small-bowled pipe.

The tobacco in the tin was sufficiently dry, so I doubt it is treated with PG. If so, it is with a very light hand, not like some that are goopy and never dry out. That said, it has maintained its freshness in the tin and my fold-over pouch for quite some time.

My tastes run from a good English to straight VA and VAPER blends and even the occasional light aromatic. But, sometimes I just feel like an old-fashioned burley blend. PA has become my go-to for burley. While it is sufficiently strong enough to enjoy in a small pipe for a short smoke, I can go back to it over and over during the day without fear of tongue bite. I also agree with the reviewer who said it is a good palate cleanser. It has a great flavor, but it doesn't rob your ability to taste other tobaccos - or anything else for that matter.

To me, the room note smells of burley tobacco after I've left and come back with a little sweetness. That might be the casing others have detected. Whatever it is, the smell is burley to me.

Bottom line, if you like burley or want to try one out, then give this a try.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, GBD, Ben Wade, Peterson

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased.

Purchased From: A B&M Tobacco outlet in eastern Kentucky

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

PA in my opinion is the oatmeal of the tobacco world. There are no frills here, no subtle nuances, no changing a half, quarter or third of the way through the bowl. Maybe some cocoa, but very little, and good ole burley. In my experience, the best way to smoke the old drugstore blends is to not think about them very much. Its hard to pack it bad or wrong in any pipe and they stay lit exceptionally well. It doesn't bite or leave a nasty aftertaste. Good straightforward tobacco.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: aged and fresh

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I've been smoking PA for over 40 years. As others have said, there is a reason it's been in contentious production for over 100 years. It's not fancy, it's not complex...just a good burley smoke. No pretensions, no big claims...just a good, honest smoke for a very reasonable price. For the person who has nothing to prove.

I've never had PA bite or gurgle in any pipe I've ever smoked. The falvor is just good, nutty, slightly sweet burley. The subtle chocolate notes in the background are, I am sure, just from the burley, and not from junky casings. I've never tasted any glycol or preservatives.

You can smoke it straight, blend it with other tobaccos, flavor it with spirits or extracts, and you can even do what I used to do in my younger days. I spent a lot of time in the woods, so to keep my PA from drying out in the Texas heat, I would eat an apple, and throw a chunk of it in my pouch with the tobacco. This kept it at the perfect moisture, and gave it a very suble fresh apple top note. After a day or so, when the apple turns brown, (if there is any PA left), just toss it, and drop in ma new chunk. It doesn't get any simpler than this.

PA is like an old friend, always there when you need it, and always dependable. Prince Albert will never let you down.

Pipe Used: cob, briar, and pearwood

Purchased From: drug stores, tobacco stores,grocery stores, and even a hardware store.

Similar Blends: Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, P & C Midtown Series Prince Andrew.

sjdugi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sjdugi (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've heard so much about this blend and I'm glad I've finally had the opportunity to try it. Right out of the pouch the scent is quite enjoyable; I picked up a lot of the cocoa smell. Once lit, the smell is much more faint. PA has a great burley flavor and I can see now why it's so highly regarded, especially for an OTC blend. Tobacco burns nice and needs minimal tamping and relighting. I think that everyone should try this blend at least once; I'll certainly be smoking more of it myself!

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a call the other day asking if I had Prince albert In a box. "Not anymore" says I. Click. This stuff is Very good. I'll give this the best bang for the buck I've yet tried. Hesitant at first because of some other "tobaccos" at the gas station, I read a bunch of reviews and decided to give Old Al a shot. Excellent pouch note. Some Va/Bur with brownie backbone. Light and springy, perfect moisture, packs and burns very well. Consistent flavor through the bowl, nose and palate agree, mostly burley nut with hints of Va. and chocolate and vanilla. Smokes nice and cool down to the bottom. Light it and forget it if you choose to.

PA is light enough to puff after lunch or when involved in another preoccupation but still complex enough for a thorough examination when a more thought provoking smoke is needed. Well done Prince, yet somehow, not quite King's fare. I hereby bestow upon thee the honor of three and a half stars and a place in the rotation.

5.25.15 update--I'm upgrading the prince to 4 star status and a favorite. I have a couple dozen different tins under my belt now but keep going back to PA. If it had more nic it would be perfect, as is, damn near.

Pipe Used: old cob, grabow briar

Age When Smoked: 0-4 months

Purchased From: C-store

LongJnSilver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LongJnSilver (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Well, laddies, when I was home in the States recently, on the strength of 1. old memories from rolling my own back in the 1980s, and 2. some recommendations here, I brought back (count 'em) TWO HUGE plastic tubs of PA. Eagerly, I went out on the back deck with one of my nice calabashes (a huge 1950s Kaywoodie) and lit up. UGH. I couldn't believe my tastebuds. Awful! But, full-of-faith, I put it off to having had Chinese with a heavy load of garlic. I'd try again later. WORSE! (The garlic had actually helped!) I've managed to give away one "tin" - and will play around with cutting some other blends with a bit of it, but without high hopes. Alas... a severe blow has been dealth to my nostalgia genes. And, I'll not mention here my impressions of the other old standby I returned with, CARTER HALL. Dang. LongJnSilver - London -

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The prince is a nice nutty burley thats pleasent enough but the room note is a bit cigarette like. Yes its better in a cob! Available almost everywhere and priced fairly; I smoke this one on occasion.

In the nearly 10 years since I've reviewed this blend it's seen more and more time in my rotation. Nice.. nutty and slightly sweet, doesn't bite, doesn't care how it's packed and burns cool and dry. A truly wonderful smoke. 3.5 stars for the occasional bitter finish, although that probably has more to do with me over puffing near the end and getting ash. So..rounding up to 4 stars.

...it's been over a decade since I first started here..yikes..time is flying by..

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars, any kind will do with the Prince

Purchased From: all over..from drugstores to online

CR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CR (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I did not really think there was any need to review this tobacco, I merely came to see what was said about the Propylene Glycol or PG content of my daily smoke here, since I can't taste any myself when I smoke it. I inhale a lot of this stuff, and I want to know exactly what I'm putting into my body. I do taste chemical sometimes with the SWR Regular, although nowhere near the levels of the other "blends" sitting right next to it on the shelf, but uncle Albie always gives me that consistent burley taste and relaxing smoke I enjoy throughout the day without breaking my budget, and without the nauseating malaise of chemical goop. Granted, it's not very sophisticated I suppose, but it blends nicely. If you love the burley leaf as much as I do, consider this a highly recommended tobacco choice.

I do have to say that the other reviews here do not necessarily reflect the true room-note of this tobacco. I am often told it smells like a cigarette or that it stinks, so I'm restricted to where I can get away with smoking it in public. I don't enjoy the smell of it in my own home as much as I do some aromatics I smoke either, but it smells better than a regular cigarette or cigar I guess. I would call it tolerable to strong in all sincerity.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 Week

Purchased From: Anywhere That Sells Cigarettes

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Nice cocoa smelling tobacco with a medium cut and some thicker strands. Catches fire easily no need for tamping and the burn is somehow slow. Taste wise, a light nutty, cocoa flavor with some Bourbon and sweet licorice.

The good thing is that the topping and tobacco while light, compliment each other. The bad thing is that if you puff fast, the smoke becomes harsh, ashy and gears towards a cigarette. The aftertaste is an unpleasant cigarette taste. All in all, a good OTC pipe tobacco, cheap and readily available in the U.S. A less topped Carter Hall if you will. I would give it 2.5 stars.

JackalMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackalMike (7)

I'm a former cigarette smoker. So this burley-based blend is pleasing to me. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing fancy about it. It is just a pleasing smoke with enough nicotine to scratch that itch.

If you're seeking gourmet potatoes-au-gratin, this ain't it. If you're seeking tasty McD's french fries, you've found your blend.

I can make this tobacco bite. But you have to chug and work at it to make it happen. Load it in a cob, apply one round of flame and sit back and enjoy the buttery, nutty flavor. It heats up and burns quick so enjoy it while you can.

Happy Puffing,

Mike

Pipe Used: Cob, Briar, Hardwood

Age When Smoked: Unknown. Various tins and pouches

Purchased From: Local B&M

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Prince Albert or Carter Hall? That's the question I asked myself.

And the answer was Prince Albert. Here's why ...

Both blends have a fantastic room note. The essence of classic burley pipe goodness. I give Carter Hall a slight edge here. Whenever I smell someone else smoking it, I can't resist lighting up. To me it's one of the best pipe fragrances out there.

On balance though, I give PA the overall edge. Primarily due to its mellowness (i.e. lack of harshness, especially in the second half of the bowl), and deep rich nutty flavour and aroma. Carter Hall can get a bit ashy toward the end, but not terribly so. Whereas the Prince just gets better and better, particularly the more you smoke it.

And Prince Albert also passes the "road test" without a hitch, where I just load up my pouch and humidor with tons of it and smoke nothing else for weeks. I'm unable to do this with Carter Hall: the temptation to switch over to something else is just too strong.

And PA scratches the itch. It's satisfying. But not too filling, so it's stands up well to repeated bowls. A classic, and deservedly so.

Pipe Used: MM Pride

Purchased From: Online vendor

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

At the time that I tried this I was bit skeptical since most of the inexpensive readily available tobaccos I've found had lived up to their price point. This one was billed as a good classic mainstay and so I was intrigued.

Upon opening the very tiny (and kind of a pain to use) pouch I was happy to find the leaves felt fresh with some moisture and springiness. Packed and burned well and would be a great first time tobacco to try.

The flavor was full, but not overwhelming. It was rich for what it was. Many of the more expensive brands I now use have a fuller complexity, but Prince Albert does fill a good niche.

Does a great job for the cost.

Sometimes you don't always want that top end espresso and just want a cup of joe from the diner. Enter Prince Albert.

Purchased From: Grocery Store

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)

Prince Albert is an old standard Burley-based pipe tobacco. My Dad's favorite pipe tobacco was Sir Walter Raleigh but if he couldn't find it, he would smoke Prince Albert. The appearance is a consistent reddish-brown fine ribbon cut; it is fine enough to roll into cigarettes. Because of its fine cut, it packs into a pipe and is lit easily. The flavor of the tobacco is of typical, unadorned Burley: a bold, nutty and somewhat cocoa taste. It tastes the same throughout the bowl and finishes dry and tasty. The smoke is of medium intensity; you don't have to puff hard to be satisfied. The nicotine strength is mild/medium. This is a simple tasting tobacco, not complex. It is of moderate richness but not sweet at all. I smoked it in a Missouri Meerschaum General, a tall stacked bowl.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum General

Age When Smoked: >10 years

Purchased From: a gift

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first smoked this in an MM Patriot, narrow bowl with medium depth, and noticed that although it began too mild in flavor for me to enjoy it increased in flavor the further down I smoked. About the half bowl mark it had reached mild to medium status and I found myself really liking it. Then it ended too soon. Nutty with a little cocoa-like flavor riding on top. Simple, uncomplicated, but pleasant and satisfying. Next bowl I used an MM General which has a narrow bowl and is much deeper than the Patriot. Got much more time in the sweet spot with that bowl. I like this blend. It's not a blend that knocks my socks off, but it is a blend that I can get a lot of enjoyment from.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor with the right pipe. Burns well. Moisture is perfect for immediate smoking.

Pipe Used: MM Patriot, MM General

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When I first opened this I immediately thought 'Carter Hall' as I had smoked that before and love it. The packaging is almost exactly the same in description as Carter Hall, just arranged differently. Also just a little disappointed that it no longer comes in a tin, making the famous 'Prince Albert in a can' joke a little sad. It has a mildly sweet smell and faint chocolate to it, and that's about it. A very very pleasant smell, just not all that complicated. What did occur to me was that the smell seemed a little forced and unnatural. In smoking this feeling of it being unnatural subsided but did not go away. It has a mainly sweet tobacco taste with a little licorice added to it. Even though I used a filtered cob I still got a little bite but this can likely be attributed to the fact that I rushed a little and was outside in the wind. A firm pack and slow smoke would rectify this easily. Not exactly ground shaking but I can definitely appreciate why people can smoke this all day every day. Personally, I'm gonna stick with Carter Hall.

(Side note) My grandfather and great-grandfather both smoked this in the past (1920s to 1960s). My grandfather is still alive, and when he tried it again he said it was a fair bit sweeter and less nutty than he remembered. He also tried Cater Hall and said that is what he remembered Prince Albert as.

Two years after above posting: I have now tried the original Prince Albert in the form of a tucked away tin from 1950. Having tried it I can honestly say that the modern interpretation, while accurate in some aspects, can't hold a candle to the original. The original has none of the artificial taste, more nuttiness, and a room note that will win over even the most finicky nose. I don't know what Middleton thinks they're making, but it's NOT the original Prince Albert. Carter Hall is DEFINITELY closer to the original.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I wanted to give the Prince every chance of success, so I ordered a fresh can from JR since everyone says the tin is superior to the pouch. It smells, tastes, and burns like cigarette tobacco, because that's what it is. The bottom of the bowl tastes like an ashtray. If you like the idea of smoking a cigarette in your pipe, this is for you. If you are looking for a mild, easy to light, pleasant, economical burley blend, Lane's BLWAB is vastly superior to the Prince.

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (11)

This is the ultimate comfort tobacco. When you need a break from complexity, bite, and nic-hits, this is the place to land. Whatever topping it may have, it is so light as to be virtually nonexistent. I taste burley, which is fine by me. This is just a plain, pleasant smoke, and for me, a great way to start the morning.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: I forget.

Similar Blends: Granger, McClelland X30 Pressed Burley, Carter Hall.

TruckinDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TruckinDan (3)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the OTC brand I buy when Half and Half isn't available. It has a mild taste, delivers a good nicotine punch, and smells decent enough that nobody complains when I smoke it. An excellent "everyman" tobacco. Highly recommended, especially for beginners transitioning from cigarettes.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow, cob.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to nearly stale

Purchased From: Drug store usually

Similar Blends: This is basically Half and Half light..

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert is epic!!! What a awesome smoke straight up hands down no doubt about it. Its been years since I smoked Prince Albert I tried it a few times when I was about 19 years old and back then I did not really care for or appreciate it at all, I tried to smoke the stuff quite a few times and even tried to roll it and then gave up, I passed it up for years. I told my wife " hey I wanna buy some Prince Albert and try it again" and its funny cause I have smoked hundreds of blends including what I blend myself, how did this one slip by me all this time? The way I view tobacco and even taste it is very different now then when I was 19 because back then it was Lucky Strikes Captain Black Gold, White and Royal and Backwoods hell even some Copenhagen snuff when I was in the mood, that was then this is now. Later on down the road I gave up the toxic tobacco habits and became loyal to the pipe and sometimes cigars every now and then because there awesome as well, that's why so many of us love them in our blends as well right? Now on to my review with Prince Albert and I am honored to write out this one on a all American pipe tobacco that has stood the test of time and still stands strong in quality and taste. I was so excited to buy Prince Albert and I bought a pouch went right to my car and opened it up. The smell was one now I could really appreciate a nice burley with a hint and I mean a small hint of anise and chocolate which I thought at first was kinda a trip because my idea expecting a molasses or something like that but nope that's what I smelled. I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed my MM Marcus and packed her up. This was a easy light up job but still gave it a false light, tamped it down with my fingure and lit it up and like I said it lit up super easy. I was so happy with the taste of the burley because it was so smooth and sweet that was velvety, buttery and nutty, that's what I tasted. The taste of the light anise chocolate smell was not in there thank God so I kept on smoking and the more I smoked the more tobacco taste I got that remained nutty and sweet and I was really enjoying it so much. I puffed on it and inhaled it and repeated with great results remaining very smooth, by the time I got half way down the bowl it started to become very robust with depth and weight bit still remained smooth and the light bulb came on and quickly realized why Prince Albert has remained one of America's top pipe tobacco sellers easy. The natural burley taste is awesome and the topping does not get in the way of that and if anything compliments the blend all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I also love Carter Hall and the two are not the same in taste or constinincy but they both have one thing in common BURLEY!!! I think back and the only reason I passed it by for so many years is because I did not appreciate it when I was younger and later on didn't take the time to stop and try smoking it again, I really wish now that I did but hey! I am and have already burned through 12 pouches lol I'm buying a few tubs now. I also already have a few ideas for a couple blends I'm going to play with that will be fun but some deep thought will need to go into that cause this stuff has some serious potential in regards to blending. I would highly recommend this to any pipe smoker that has never smoked the stuff, it does not bite, it is very smooth, it stays lit up very easy and packs with no problem a very unique design in the cut of the tobacco that's for sure. I am smoking some Prince Albert right now to help me close this review that is one thing I love about smoking the pipe is that it really can help one go into deep thought and ponder on something, you cannot do that with a cigarette as that's more of a adult pasifier for nervous disorders known as anxiety. I will relax and continue to reduce the stress of this day with a bowl of Prince Albert and appreciate this fine old school pipe tobacco. I love the thought that our dads, grandpas and great grandpas smoked and we continue to smoke now for 2018. Thank you for taking the time to read this review and I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it out, God bless all my fellow pipe smokers and have a good rest of your evening. - Christopher

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cobs CnS Pipes and Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Barneys in Pinehurst Idaho

Tomasz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomasz (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I knew at some point I'd be reviewing this one. I kept reading about it but it was never available in any of the stores I went to for some reason. If you are familiar with Carter Hall then you already have an idea of what Prince Albert is about. I finally ordered a pouch online and tore into it as soon as the mailman dropped it off. I love the pouch smell. Reminds me of earth and cocoa. Easy pack. Easy light. Produces a lot of smoke. Room note smells like a quality cigarette and dirt. I like the smell though. Taste makes me think of earth, coffee, bitter dark chocolate. I understand why people like this stuff. Smokes cool and easy. I still prefer SWR and Edgeworth(match) as these seem to have more depth but I think I'll have to include a pouch of PA from time to time. I like it. As head to head with Carter Hall, for me I prefer PA. This is a must try, a rite of passage for all pipe smokers.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cobs, Stanwll 86

Age When Smoked: smoked fresh

Similar Blends: Carter Hall..

John Middleton - Prince Albert.

A simple, high quality, blend. Basic, but good.

The appearance isn't anything spectacular, mostly a medium size, brown, ribbon. There's a few leafier pieces, but not enough to warrant the term 'coarse'. This was supplied bulk, so I'm unaware of the dampness/dryness of a sealed pouch. This looked good though.

If you want a rich Burley blend try this! It seems a fairly basic taste whilst lighting and steadying a burn. But in short time a rich chocolate flavour appears, with a slight sweetness. It doesn't taste as rustic, or rugged, as a lot of Burley blends can, the addition of Cavendish abates this side. The temperature from P.A. is amenable, and it gives a splendid burn. The only fluctuation in flavour is depth: as the bowl burns it seems to develop a little more weight.

The nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Not my usual type of thing, but worth three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Dagner Poker

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Goose55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goose55 (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tobaccos like Prince Albert & Sir Walter Raleigh (SWR) saved me from another aborted pipe smoking quest. After I burned out on Captain Black white label, and could not taste it anymore, a bit of dry SWR left over in a pouch someone had sent me, refreshed me. And then I tried Prince Albert, and found it delightful.

I have moved on from Captain Black, and other drug store blends to some great McClelland Virginia-Periques, and Gawith, Hoggarth Virginia Flake tobaccos. But, I still keep a small Kerr jar of Prince Albert handy, because it's just plain good. I'd even consider it one of my desert island tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Old carved half bent Stanwell

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)

Sometimes I think this is better than Carter Hall and sometimes not. It has some off notes to it, and the tobacco doesn't strike me as first tier. But, despite that PA just has something to it. There is more of an artificial cocoa/chocolate note here than in CH. The smoke doesn't develop, it's the same from start to finish.

Sometimes that simplicity is just the thing. I used to always keep CH and PA on hand. I've gotten away from them just because there are tastier alternatives from C&D and H&H that are priced similarly and are much better smokes.

Tburglar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tburglar (7)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Am I being punked? How does this tobacco have any favorable reviews? The best way I can describe Prince Albert's room note and taste is that it was like cleaning out the inside of a Phillies Blunt and dumping it in my pipe. Worse yet... it's loaded with the chemical. It immediately dried out and stuffed up my nose like a 99 cent cigar. I'm not a snob. I like Captain Black and don't mind Half and Half, but Prince Albert doesn't belong in a pipe.

Pipe Used: MM Cob Pipe

Purchased From: Walmart

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, and any of the giant bargain bags of tobacco..

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)

Ah, the ole Prince. Prince Albert holds a special nostalgia for me, since it was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried (save for a brief trial with some cherry stuff as a teenager....but that doesn't really count).

Simple? If you take it at face value, yeah. You can mindlessly puff PA, and just get that mild straight tobacco taste. If you pay attention, though, there really is a lot going on flavor wise. There's the nutty burley flavor. There's the sort of raisin-y pouch note that carries over to the smoke. There's an almost chocolate-esque flavor to the finish. There's some sweetness in there. And I get something else, too - a soft creamy flavor, sort of a butter-vanilla-butterscotch, but not really close enough to any of those to say "that's what it tastes like"....it's a very pleasant flavor, I assume must be from the topping. Perhaps I'm over analyzing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with just puffing away on PA and not picking apart the minutia of flavorings - that's the way I smoke it most of the time. But I figured the prince deserved a bit more than that in my review

If a newbie ever asks for a pipe baccy recommendation, PA is the first one I mention. It's the easiest to smoke blend I've found. It's never too moist, it's so easy to pack, and it takes a flame effortlessly. There aren't many blends that I could confidently claim to be able to finish a bowl with a single paper match, but I definitely could with PA, straight out of the pouch or tub.

Which brings up another point - pouch vs tub. Yes, they are the exact same blend. And there's nothing inherently wrong with PA in a pouch. But I've found the quality of the pouches to be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes you get one that tastes just like the stuff from a tub...but sometimes it's a little drier, and sometimes the flavor is a little muted. I assume this is due to the packaging not being able to keep it as fresh as long. It's not a huge difference, honestly...and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 14 ounce tub as their first trial run with any tobacco. But if you smoke PA regularly and usually buy pouches, you'd definitely be well served to buy yourself a tub next time.

Great tobacco, a staple in my cellar. Nothing pairs better with my morning coffee. Highly recommended!

(originally reviewed 9/9/2012)

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my dad's pipe tobacco, always Prince Albert and always in a Missouri meerschaum. I too prefer the corncobs but differ in that I sample as many tobacco blends as I can, classic or new, OTC or small batch I will give it a try. Most of the time I come away happy but very few blends occupy a permanent place in my rotation, but Prince Albert is one I never run out of. Sometimes I go weeks without loading up a pipe full of Prince Albert, other times I smoke it every day for a week or more. It is consistently mild and comforting. Doesn't bite, doesn't have a heavy flavoring or aroma. It just is, someone on here said PA is like a cup of coffee at the diner and that is a perfect description. It is timeless and just about every pipe smoker has sampled this simple burley at one time or another. I do have one cob dedicated to only PA, I have found having a set pipe for this tobacco allows the simple flavor to shine (nutty is the best way to describe the flavor, with a hint of vanilla maybe? These are not added flavors, just the natural taste of the burley) the Prince will be in my tobacco rotation for good, just asithas been for so many pipe smokers over the decades

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Nothing is really similar to this one.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I've spent only a week with the Prince but having had about 14 bowls of it in 7 days I am a believer! It's charm is its simplicity. It's not much more than just some bitter Burley. There's sourness almost like Izmir going on. Occasionally there's some sweet chocolatey notes but they sure are subtle. PA is incredibly easy to pack, burns beautifully with one light, and is the definition of an all day smoke.

bigd1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigd1979 (1)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Earthy, light and awesome. Bought this tobacco because I heard it was great for building good cake. Fell in love. The first half isn't always great but after you pack it and dump it once, it comes alive. The second half of the bowl is where this tobacco shines. I smoke this almost exclusively. So good.

Pipe Used: Militia, Savinelli, Sasieni, Peterson.

Age When Smoked: unknown, as bought.

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

W. Carter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
W. Carter (6)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Wow, what can I add that hasn't already be said. Between Carter Hall and Prince Albert it is hard to choose which is better. They both are about the same price. Prince Albert to me seems to be a little stronger and has a tad bit more nicotene. Both are like a taste of OTC heaven. Nice sticky moist ribbon cut that packs easy. Just the right amount of moisture and freshness. Just light up and it's off to the races. All I can say is, after you have wasted your money on all the imported fu fu brands to look cool and feel like you are a connoisseur of fine exotic tobacco, come back down to earth and load your bowl with the lowly Prince. Then just kick back and relax. Very highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Shire Bent with Charcoal Filter

Age When Smoked: new, fresh

Purchased From: smokers outlet online

Similar Blends: Nothing comes close..

Kaywoodie Collector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaywoodie Collector (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ah The Prince. Subjected to so much opinions. I dare to say,that there are soooo many (experiancied) Pipers here. I feel inferior posting my thoughts. Being a pipe smoker for 40 years, I still dont have the experiance and palate to disinguish the fine hey grassy note of Virginia ,the so sublte notes of a fine macidonia leaf, the prized Syran or Cyeran latikia ,not to mention....ROSE of latikia. What ever that is. I never had Balken Sobranie, and from the really honest revewiers , Im glad I didnt. English/Balken.... well Stinks. Im a pure tobac lover and I for myself anyways, have taken The Prince arm and arm. Nice soft tobacco, easy to light, in a dedicated pipe, (which is key here).. simply down home to real life. A supreme all day smoke. Granted, there are soooo many boutique blends that are fabulous,and VERY expensive, and have tried many upon many, including the release of Balken Sobrainie, in which,I have 8 sealed tins, Prince calls me back on a daily basis. Take a hint GL Pease, and Craig Tarlor.....The 100+ years of PA still stands as a land mark.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie natural burl, circa 050s

Age When Smoked: always fresh, it doesent last long around me

Purchased From: from my dad to any store

Similar Blends: There is no equal.

StageCarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StageCarp (8)

Well.... had to try it. Picked up a pouch while on a road trip... Figured it's been around so long, it must have some positive attributes. This was a pleasant surprise for me. I smoke all sorts of blends, and appreciate most. This has a mild simplicity of flavor and aroma I've come to enjoy. While taste is very subjective, I get a very lightly sweet, nutty burley & a coffee-ish - cocoa-ish scent & flavor from this.. and not heavy flavors either.. hence my across the board "Mild" ratings. It has joined my Morning Pipe rotation. If one were to equate the McClellans, Gawiths, and other top brands of the pipe world with the Starbucks and such of the Coffee world, Prince Albert would be the Folgers or Maxwell house with cream & sugar in the morning...( it even sorta looks like coffee in the tub) nothing wrong with it at all, especially when not on the mood for heavier offerings. It also costs little to try.

Pipe Used: Big Ben full bent

Purchased From: some nameless store front cigarette shop in Indiana

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Brisk morning and I decided to pull out a small pouch of PA. It is not the world's greatest tobacco but a very basic burley mixture. Easy to pack, light and smoke. Taste can get bitter very quick if you smoke to fast. Good room note and cheap. Watching football with this brings back memories of old. Guess that's why I picked it today. Try not to let it go out and relight. Flavor always goes to hell as an aftertaste. Enjoyed with Miller beer. kiss applys here.

Pipe Used: cobb

Age When Smoked: New Pouch

Purchased From: TRO

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My wife picked up a bag of this for me from a Native American tobacco outlet that was shutting down. Although my bag was a little dry(easily remedied by humidifying of course) I found it to be a very nice mild Burley blend, don't think there is any Virginia in there, ranged from red to brown in colour. The strength was moderate, smoked rather quickly but left no tongue bite nor was it particularly hot. It turned to ash quickly but burned evenly to the bottom. It is a great Burley nut taste to it that definately grew sweet for the last half of the bowl. Goes great with coffee. I'm actually quite impressed for the money my wife threw down for it. My wife did not pay much for it so it was a nice surprise, she picked it up knowing I was out of my favourite blend and others I have in the mail so it was a welcomed and new blend to try. My grandfather used to buy this by the larger jar and many "oldtimers" puff this blend and only this blend so it is worth the moderate price and is easy to find. I do recommend it for Burley lovers for sure. I'm also getting into Aromatics and Prince Albert offers Cherry and Vanilla/Cherry cased blends I'm curious to try.

Pipe Used: Keywoodie Drinkless Billiard Style

Age When Smoked: Opened from new pouch

Purchased From: Native American tobacco outlet but can be found in Drug Stores and just about anywhere

Similar Blends: Other medium to high grade Burleys.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (15)

A sweet/nutty pouch aroma. Slight creamy/wheat taste with a pleasant room note. If you're ever in need of a quick cheap purchase this is a safe choice. I found it best when smoked in a cob as the cob seemed to bring out more flavor.

Pipe Used: Cob/Briar

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)

I was reluctant to spend a portion of my limited free time smoking a tobacco that has all the mystique of an inexpensive hand rolled cigarette tobacco, and had this particular brand tasted like a combination of dried leaves, cigarettes, and lawn clippings, I was prepared to author a witty one-star review. But that is not what happened. I enjoyed PA. It is mild and does not provide a tremendous amount of flavor, but it is far from bad. PA is certainly no masterpiece, but it smells and tastes like a pipe tobacco worthy of the title. The ribbon cut burly tobacco also burns quite well.

Pipe Used: Invicta Briar, Billiard

Age When Smoked: New, and then repeatedly for about six months

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (138)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say, this was my great grandfather's blend. One of my earliest memories is of him smoking this CH, and Cherry Blend. Smoking it reminds me of him. As far as OTC blends go this is a very good one. The burley is a little sweet, which suggests that it is topped/cased with something. I could also get a note of coffee and maybe licorice as a top note as well. All very mild and adds to rather than takes away from the earthy nuttiness of the burley. Nothing special and it will not break into my rotation other than on occasion when I am feeling nostalgic. Still a good blend and it should be tried by all pipe smokers not overlooked as a drugstore blend.

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent OTC burley. Great as a palate cleanser, handy to keep a pouch on hand. And it's what, 3 bucks for an ounce and a half? There's a reason this is a hall of fame blend although, personally, I reach for Carter Hall first when I want a nice cool easy smoking otc blend. I've smoked the snob blends and still do, but it's easy to see the attraction here and I really doubt the Prince will ever be fully out of my rotation. Yet to meet anyone who doesn't get a spark of pleasant nostalgia at the room note, either.

Pipe Used: Briar, cob, meerschaum

Prince Albert is a basic mild burley smoke with a slight topping I can't identify and a chemical note when first lit. There is a little cocoa in there and some nuttiness. It is reliable and easily found. I have smoked pounds of this over the years, so I am not basing this review on a single bowl or anything. I found some other options and moved on.

I am not likely to buy this again unless it is the only option. I think Carter Hall and Granger are better OTC smokes. Having said all this, PA is a decent OTC, and it is one I think all pipe smokers should try. It works well for some smokers, and I get that. I am just not one of the fans.

Edit 2017: Thanks to a generous sample of PA from the 80's, I have had a recent chance to taste some of this from 30 or so years ago. I found the tobacco itself to be softer to the touch and slightly darker in color. There was no chemical note when lighting. In terms of flavor, Prince Andrew nails it.

Edit 2018: The Prince has new packaging, and I have smoked a few pouches and am finding I like it more than I thought. It does not give me the chemical note on lighting, and seems to have a slightly better flavor. Perhaps I am the one who has changed?

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

I hate to insult the OTC lovers here, but this is not your Grand Father's PA. Just as the ingredients in cigarettes have changed dramatically over the years in favor of sheet tobacco and chemicals, I fear similar tampering with the PA formula. This is nasty tobacco. Little flavor, full of PG, and drying/aging makes it worse, not better. After a few months jarring it smelled like a cigarette ashtray. Flat, nasty.

If Burley is what you're after, there are much better choices made with real, unadulterated tobacco.

Update June 2014: I left the house on some errands with a couple of cobs, but forgot the tobacco. In a panic, I pulled into a gas station that offered a choice of RYO "pipe tobacco" or Prince Albert. I bought the Prince. Same lovely pouch note: so much promise. Delicate cocoa flavors caused me to doubt my long-held destain for the Prince. Then I smoked a bowl....

The charring light was quite good. Then the flavoring agent burned off to reveal the same ashiness, harsh chemical flavors, and hot burn. My opinion remains unchanged.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

It's all been said...I love the stuff...I'm amazed I hadn't reviewed this already. It's hard to find in the Eurozone, but if you like Burley....it's worth looking for. My wife loves it too, what more can a man say.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This is one of a handful of tobaccos which smokes way beyond its price-point. I picked up a pouch of this and and one of Sir Walter Raleigh when I stopped into a little place to pick up some cobs. Total price for the two pouches and a trio of cobs? $14.20. Twenty minutes earlier I'd bought four tins of various things at a fancier (and cob-less) shop. Total price? $57 and change. (Which, as a northerner, is about half what I would pay in the land of Maple Leafs and Blue Jays, so I'm not complaining.)

If someone were to draw up a big price/quality ratio chart for all of the tobaccos on this board, this may well come out as the king of tobaccos. (The name change to 'King Albert' would, of course, cause an immediate decline in sales as reviewers would complain about how their unpretentious little Prince had changed somehow.)

I'd pretty much sworn off the cheap and cheerful blends of the past after trying vile Half & Half and viler still Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, but there was the Prince and the noble knight and I thought, ahhh what the heck.

I'm kind of glad the fancy place had no cobs because Prince Albert is a thoroughly decent Burley. Sure it's plain, short on intensity, and a little lacking in vigor. But it is also pleasant. There is a vaguely fruity topnote to the tobacco in the pouch, but the star here is the clean burning, mildly hazelnutty Burley.

I'm sure that this would bore me all the way down to my socks if it was all that was available. But it isn't all that's available. It makes a nice little change of pace from all that porn star intensity I normally crave. It's kind of like making out under the covers, gentle, tender, quiet, familiar.

My one complaint: I'm not much of a fan of the thoroughly cigarette-ish room note, I have to say.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like to have PA in a corncob or in my quick smoke breaks as it hits the spot as far as nicotime urge and it's mild enough to smoke fast and not scorch the tongue. I find myself going to it att least once a day, generally at bedtime. It has a sweet not aromatic smell in the bag and once lit, it stays lit all the way to the bottom. It also burns very well and leaves a nice peppery ash in the bottom of the bowl. I tend towards burleys in my tobacco and this one just satisfys. While too basic to be my all the time smoke, it deserves and has a place among my tobacco shelf and it is in my opinion the best emergncy stock for when one finds themsleves out of tobacco both because of availability and the fact it makes a great mixer with other tobaccos. Not to mention the price!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Remember the old joke, "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" Well, if you do, keep him there. Do not, under any circumstances let him out. Of course, these days Al comes in a foil pouch. But, I think the same would apply.

Out of cigarette rolling tobacco, and remembering that this stuff was supposed to be cut to smoke both in ryo and pipes, I picked up a pouch at the local supermarket (only thing they had that would make cigarettes). It was terrible as a cigarette, so I thought maybe it would be better suited for the pipe afterall. The human mouth cannot properly form the words that I would use to describe the taste of this stuff.

The pouch smell was bland. It packed with difficulty; constantly springing up over the top of the bowl no matter how I tamped it. I can only be thankful that I did not light this stuff up in my own house. First light elicited an odor not completely unlike what I imagine a fireman's dirty socks to smell like. And it tasted just as bad as it smelled; maybe worse. The first thing that came to mind when I tasted this stuff was "urine soaked cardboard".

I have never had the occasion of putting a urine soaked piece of cardboard in my mouth, but there are some things that one can just imagine how they must smell and taste. And after smoking Prince Albert, I found myself imagining just how good a piece of pee stained cardboard must taste. It really is that bad.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

I had to buy this because it is a classic. I admit, I was curious, and seeing the many number of people that recommended this as a straight burley tobacco, I had to see what it was about.

I purchased a pouch for four dollars at the local drug store and walking out, I immediately opened it up to be greeted by the wonderful aroma of chocolate that typifies a good burley. I couldn't wait to get home and smoke this..but upon that first puff I was just disgusted.

To me, it's like smoking cigarette tobacco out of a pipe. Big disappointment.

When I think of Prince Albert in a can, I want to light a match--for other reasons.

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

Well, I finally found myself breaking down and trying this stuff. I actually got it from a friend who wanted to see my reaction. Well I was sorry to disappoint, but this stuff wasn't too bad for a cheap burley. I have certainly had worse. It has little to bring me back, but I would be perfectly content smoking it in a corn cob castin' for some lazy fish. It certainly has its place in the hierarchy.

Chili guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chili guy (1)

My grandfathers favorite and an annual Christmas gift to him by me since the 1940’s. First time ive smoked it in years...good stuff, easy packing, easy lighting, easy burn, no relights to the bottom of the bowl, dry cool smoke. No bite. Light nicotine kick near the end. All around good tobacco.

Pipe Used: John Bertram Bulldog

Purchased From: Stag, Santa Fe, NM

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Prince Albert.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Ring, Ring. Drugstore employee answering, hello may I help you? Phone caller, yes, do you have Prince Albert in a can? Why yes, we do sir. Phone caller, well you had better let him out he is suffocating. Click. I actually remember seeing the small tin cans around when I was a kid. To me this is one of the better Over the Counter blends I have tried. I also get a kick out of reading the box. “Soft Luxury Pouch Inside” (Aluminum Foil). And then all the reasons why smokers like Prince Albert, i.e. “Taste, Aroma, Cool, Mild, No Bite, Slow Burning, The Cut, Priced Right, Best There Is”. I found this very mild, tasted great in my corn cobs and would recommend trying it. This one surprised me with well over 400 reviews, so it indeed must be popular.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Maybe Carter Hall, which I also like but it has been awhile since I have had it..

Davetopay2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay2 (16)

I tried it ages ago and wasn't a fan. Trying it again, and I'm still not a fan. This was an older pouch I had laying around and thought I'd give it a shot. I tend to be a Va, VaBur, VaPer, and higher end aro piper. I also like aged burley flake tobaccos. This is just a cheap smoking experience. It will get the job done if you want to Puff mindlessly and need to get some nic to fight off the beast. It burns a little hot in the bowl, but won't burn your tongue unless you freight train this stuff. I need to watch my pace as I keep trying to get it to taste like something with some depth, and it just doesn't. It reminds me of a cheap cigarette with a bit of scent added to it. It will get ashy and taste like pencils as you get down towards the bottom of the bowl. On the plus side, it doesn't get as bitter as some burleys can.

All that said, it isn't BAD tobacco, just not something I'd seek out. If I HAD to choose between one of those giant bags of drugstore goo, Carter Hall, this stuff, or god forbid, Borkum Riff.....Carter Hall, then the Prince, the goo...I'll walk away from the BR all together. Two stars even.

Pipe Used: Big Ben fantasia billiard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (37)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this PA several months ago along with a couple other codger blends (Carter Hall & Sir Walter Raleigh). I immediately opened it, performed the sniff test, and loaded up a pipe for the first smoke. Not bad stuff, monochromatic and cool smoking as others have noted. With plenty of other blends available, I then socked away the remainder of the pouch into a mason jar. After several months I came back to the jar & decided to give it another whirl (after smoking many more so-called "complex" blends). Here is what I've found ... there are times when less is actually better ... and this is one of those times. PA is just a good, clean, nutty, lightly sweet, primarily good ole Burley blend. Nothing complex ... just a good cool smoking tobacco taste & aroma. This is certainly an all day smoke if one so desires. It's understandable why this one has withstood the test of time. IMHO it truly smokes & tastes best out of a cob pipe.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaums & Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh & Aged Several Months

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Another oldie but a goodie! Wish I had a dollar for every ounce of this stuff that has been smoked over the last century. Burley and Cavendish at its simplistic best. Everyday smoke for me st dome point during my day, always have done in a jar somewhere on the property. Often overlooked because it is not trendy enough for some. That's a shame, cause they don't know the simple pleasure they are missing. PA is not a heavy or even a medium nicotine blend, just mild and smooth. Really good with some black coffee at 3 or 4 in the a.m. Will continue to smoke this in my regular rotation for years to come

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: New, well aged and somewhere in between

Purchased From: Local smoke shop/ drug store/ supermarket

Raizel_234 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raizel_234 (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another classic OTC blend. This stuff is unassuming and straight forward. The notes say there's Burley and Cavendish in there but all I get is the the Burley. It's nutty with the occasional hint of coco making the way to the front. It's not particularly sweet, but neither is it bitter. It's very one dimensional, but that's the appeal. There was a time when this was my go to tobacco, but it's been supplanted by Carter Hall. This is a very close second however. I can understand why this isn't everyone's cup of tea b t if you've never had it you should definitely try it! If for no other reason than its a classic for a reason and its cheap!

Pipe Used: Various cobs and briars over the years

Purchased From: Local Super market and general stores.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

After smoking so many things, I still come back to this. This differs in taste and Style from, say Escudo. This is a smooth, clean bring burley blend that has a hint of cocoa in the mix. A class ribbon cut, it always light easily. I still smoke it from time to time.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Burley at its simplest, once someone told me that there was a minute amount of oriental in the original version but I doubt it, this I the kinda tobacco that doesn't call attention to itself but could keep you happy forever, easy to pack and easy to light, notes of cocoa, nuts and tobacco and tobacco it's the important key grandpa had no other intention than to get his nicotine fix quick. I think if you are a American pipe smoker you should smoke all the classics before you attempt to make more "refine" blends, (know you past so you can understand the present). So would I buy this again... absolutely as matter of fact I have a 2 8zn tins stashed away.

Pipe Used: Brebbia , Kirsten, Missouri meerschaum diplomat

Purchased From: Winn Dixie

Similar Blends: In it own class..

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

Not much to add to this classic Burley blend. Packs and smokes well right out of the pouch. Simple Burley blend with simple Burley taste. I will say that there are better and tastier Burley blends out there (check out Cornell & Diehl's Burleys), but for the price point, rock and smoke on! Had no need to relight most of the time. No tongue bite (and I smoke like a coal locomotive). Wife enjoyed the room note which is always a plus. If you are a fan of Burkeys, set your expectations lower than usual, and you will be pleasantly surprised with this one.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

Xortex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xortex (6)

It's the Prince. Even nonsmokers know the Prince. My all day, no BS, bystander approved tobacco. You can even pack it while driving. I love the fine fancy tobaccos, but as others have said, there's a reason it's still around. Two generations of my family have smoked the Prince. May he live on when I am gone.

Pipe Used: mm cob, czech seconds

Purchased From: custom blends, York pa

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

If your looking for a complex blend to impress your friends then I suggest you look elsewhere. However, if your looking for a mild and smooth (and inexpensive to boot) all day everyday smoke then Albert's your man. I like to smoke this easy burn tobacco in the morning.

Pipe Used: Neerup

Purchased From: The corner store

Mos6502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mos6502 (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I'll have to judge Prince Albert relative to its OTC peers; Carter Hall, Captain Black, Half and Half, and Sir Walter Raleigh.

To be honest there's not much to write about here. Out of the pouch it has a sweet licorice/anise smell, but this is not detectable once smoked. You get tobacco flavor, and it burns all the way down to white ash. It will tolerate careless puffing without biting or turning overly bitter. So if you just want "a tobacco" this will suffice. That's what it is, a tobacco.

It's not as sweet as Captain Black or Sir Walter Raleigh. It's not as bitter as Half and Half. It's not as light as Carter Hall. It is really a neutral tobacco, a yardstick by which other OTC brands may be measured. Unassuming, unadventurous, reliable, available.

I tend to mix a pouch of PA into a pouch of Captain Black, which helps the CB burn more completely, and lends it a little bit more of a kick.

Trivia: Early cans of PA have a patent date on them of July 30th 1907. This relates to a patent (US 862115 A) for killing the microorganisms living on tobacco by exposing them to formaldehyde. Then the tobacco would be exposed to microorganisms that grow on "good" tobacco (for according to the patent, good tobacco tastes good because of the microorganisms which grow on it) and allowed to ferment/cure, or be treated with licorice. Given the anise smell of PA, I suppose it was/is treated with licorice rather than additional microorganisms.

Pipe Used: CC

Age When Smoked: right out of the pouch

Clinthulhu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clinthulhu (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Over the last few months I've been working my way through some of the classic "Drug Store" brands of tobacco. Of course in doing so I was bound to run into Prince Albert at some point. Years ago I was given a few pouches of OTC tobacco for Christmas as a joke and Prince Albert was one of them but I honestly don't remember if I even smoked it. In any event, every week or so I visit the tobacco shop and pick up a different OTC tobacco and take it for a spin.

When you open the little foil pouch the first thing you will notice is that there isn't anything fancy here just the mild smell of straight tobacco. It would put you in the mind of a RYO tobacco like Bugler cigarette tobacco. Over all the moisture wasn't too bad, I did notice that the little foil pouch wasn't "sealed" and I don't know if it is supposed to be that way or if it was a mistake. I fluffed it up a little bit and then filled my bowl.

Packing and lighting was fine and once it was going I didn't need to relight it.

Now comes the bad part... This just doesn't taste like pipe tobacco. It has a sharp almost cigarette like quality to it that doesn't smoke well in a pipe. It actually tastes like wet mulch or straw. I'm usually a fan of non-aromatic blends but I don't even know if I can call Prince Albert that. I try not to review tobacco based on 1 bowl or even 2 bowls so I've smoked about 3/4 of the pouch before writing this review. Strong points here are that the smoke was dry I didn't get any gurgle but it wasn't cool by any means. I took my time and smoked it slow and still found that it was hot. I didn't burn my mouth but it wasn't pleasant by any means. As far as the "Room Note" I honestly think it smells like a cigarette in that department as well.

At the end of the day I would probably avoid Prince Albert. I can put it in my tobacco journal as something I have tried but just don't think I will be revisiting. As this is the tobacco that my Grandfather smoked I'm a little disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more.

UPDATE 9/28/2015 - I'm going to give Prince Albert 1 additional star. I'm still not sold that it is any better than that however I dedicated myself to finishing a pouch of this because I hate to see tobacco go to waste. It takes a little getting used to the simple flavors that are present in PA and until I dedicated one of my Cobs to smoking it I wasn't too impressed. Once it is smoked without the ghost of other "stronger" tobaccos present however the subtle flavors of the tobacco are far more noticeable and pleasing. It still might not be fore everyone but I would give it a fair go before you make the same mistake I did and judge it too soon.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: Cheap Tobacco

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Back in the mid- to late-60's I used to smoke Prince Albert. Our maid, an older African-American lady, smoked PA in RYO form and nothing but. She could roll up a PA cig in no time; nice rolls, too. I used to buy her a tin every now and then because I would make RYO cigs and sometimes smoke it in a cob. Of course, it was never aged. Miss Ruby and I smoked it too fast for that. I have very definite memories of that tobacco and the odor. It was not noticeably sweet and was a classic nutty burley, with maybe the faintest overtone of chocolate but not enough to suggest it might be chocolate flavored; such a thing would never have occurred to me, who only smoked PA then and had no experience with flavored tobaccos. I would give that old RJ Reynolds PA three stars, maybe a little more, but not four.

The modern PA is not the same. I agree with PhillyB's review about the modern PA. It is sweeter and less nutty than the old PA. Of course, blends change for reasons various, and it is what it is. Maybe it is just my memory at issue, but I don't think so. I also agree that modern Carter Hall tastes and smells closer to the old PA than the modern PA. I can smoke the modern, although it is wetter and goopier than the old (I had little pipe-smoking experience but it always smoked down to ash back then). It is hardly enjoyable and I wouldn't buy it. If you think it's not goopy and chemical-laden, jar some of it for a few months and then try it. The people raving about modern PA would go apeshit over the old blend! I also find the modern PA to be rather bitey, even if smoked indolently.

Frankly, PA ain't cheap (about $40 for 1 lb.); for the cost of PA I can get much better tobacco. Two stars.

Pipe Used: Cob used for Burleys

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (121)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The experience of Prince Albert consists of worry-free smoking with casual convenience. Pick up a packet -- or the "Prince Albert in a can" of telephone prank lore -- and stuff some in a pipe, light and go. It smolders for almost an hour in the average pipe, delivering consistently flavorful burley smoke with overtones of cocoa and vanilla. The flavors complement each other, and unlike with an aromatic, the user tastes mostly tobacco and the added tastes fade in after that. It is mild in every sense, both smoke and nicotine, and leaves behind a pipe smoke smell that is inoffensive and sometimes pleasurable. If you are a tobacco snob, content yourself with the knowledge that this over-the-counter (OTC) blend has satisfied many for whom the candied aromatics further down the counter proved unworkable, and that the majority of its appeal is a seasoned burley which delivers the warm nutty flavor typical of that variety. While I may not be a snob, but prefer the term "elitist" or one who favors quality over novelty or popularity, I hope that I never fail to recognize a quality tobacco like this one, which joins Five Brothers on my OTC shelf as a good all-day smoke for casual social events and solitary work.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pretty straightforward tobacco. You cant go wrong with this stuff. You can smoke it all day, and it wont bite the hell out of your tounge. This stuff is a no-nonsense blend that you don't have to think about, or hit it, and forget it. If you cant find a blend that does it for you, try this, you will be glad you did.

Pipe Used: Chapius Chacom

Purchased From: Pipes and Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Carter Hall with less of a topping..

Tank Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tank Man (10)

Pouch note- Vanilla, Slight grass smell. Placed in jar to keep fresh. Moisture content good. Packs easily. Burns easily with infrequent lights. Can get little harsh if pushed too fast. Otherwise cool mild smoke. Decent flavors. Little dry and slightly nutty. Every day smoker. Not great but not horrible.

Pipe Used: Kay Woodie

Age When Smoked: Pouch New Some aging

Purchased From: Local Tobacco Stores

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Sometimes you want a gourmet meal accompanied by the finest wine you can afford. Sometimes you want mac & cheese washed down with a Pepsi.

Prince Albert is mac & cheese, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It's your basic American burley blend, hints of chocolate and some fruity sweetness and of course the nuttiness from the burley. I like it better than Sir Walter I think, and it's much better imho than Half & Half. Good, basic, all day smoke. 2.5 stars

Pipe Used: Briars and Cobs

Age When Smoked: Pouch fresh

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is an American classic for good reason. I've always loved this tobacco, as it was one of the first pipe tobaccos that I ever smoked. I remember my grandfather smoking this from time to time (he was never a long-time pipe smoker), and I loved the smell when I was young. If you don't like burley, you won't like this blend! It is a burley mixture through and through. I honestly can't taste any other tobaccos in the mix. It has a sweet, somewhat fruity pouch note, but once in the pipe it changes to a soft, sweet, almost "toasted vanilla" aroma.

It packs well into anything you stuff it into, and it always lights on one light. The taste seems to vary for me depending on when I smoke it and what I smoke it in; I have got everything from toffee, coffee, toasted grains, vanilla, chocolate, pepper, cream...it's all over the place. I think this blend is best enjoyed, however, early in the morning in a cob with a cup of coffee. Nothing else wakes you up quite like that combo!

I suppose the only down side to this tobacco is that - being a burley-based blend - it tends to burn pretty fast. It can bite you as well if you aren't careful. I like it much better than Carter Hall, but not as much as Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (my go-to drugstore blend). It's a great smoke any time of day in any pipe. If you've been wary of this blend, just pick up a pack and try it...but only if you're a burley fan!

Pipe Used: MM cobs, various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged 6+ months

Purchased From: Local gas station

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a mostly Virginia smoker, why in the hell did I try this drug store Burley? Mainly for some historical perspective, as it is one of those tobaccos that have been around forever and all of the old boys smoked this.

What it God's name was I thinking? Horrible chemical taste, with an underlying Burley-esque tobacco flavor.

Bottom line- if tobacco was a black market product, this is the stuff they would use to "cut" more premium blends to increase their profits. Spare yourself the misery. Gross!

If it's Burley you're looking for, there are plenty of offerings that blow this out of the water for the same price. Lane's BL/WB comes to mind.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

RJ Beattie Jr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJ Beattie Jr (4)

What can you say about a smoke that's been around for over 100 years, that speaks volumes. This is my all day, everyday tobacco. I just think its great, but I'm not a flavoured tobacco smoker, I like tobacco to taste like tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM hardwood

Purchased From: pipes and cigars. com

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I would love to put this stuff in a fancy pants tin with some really pro looking artwork under a different name and charge boutique prices for it. My guess is that snobby puffers that wouldn't likely be caught dead with a bag of PA would rave. They'd probably talk about it's superior coco richness on the front, with a light tobacco earthiness on the back of the palate. And how it smokes so easily and to almost no dottle. I'd double down that they'd completely coo over the aroma and how meditative a smoke this has been. But that will never happen. Too bad for them- more for me.

Pipe Used: just put it in something and smoke it

Purchased From: Wally World

Similar Blends: This has no equal..

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Gurgle-free smoke! Classic example of how my taste buds have changed in my 16 years of pipe-smoking. The first time around, I thought this blend was pretty boring. Perhaps I had yet to acquire a decent taste-testing pipe. I bought a pouch last week and what a difference time makes!

In the pouch, the aroma smelled like a cross between Carter Hall and MacBaren Honey and Chocolate. The aroma did not translate into taste. I can't put my finger on the exact taste, but somewhat like burley with a light coffee and hazelnut flavor. That is probably the natural flavor of the tobacco as no flavorings are listed on the pouch The overall flavor leans more to a Virginia mellowed by burley. The room aroma has no equal, giving off a pleasant burnt caramel scent.

I highly recommend this for VA lovers who want a change of pace or Aromatic lovers who need a break between overly-sweet blends. I can think of several so-called premium blends that have been beaten by the Prince.

I wish I had tried this earlier. It keeps fresh in a tub for many months and never loses flavor or goes stale.

Update 11/29/25

I have smoked many blends including English and VAs. I used to smoke mostly aromatics. However, I found that this was the perfect all day smoke. I then smoked an aromatic. Now I can taste the PG in all of them whereas I never noticed before. I think Prince Albert is the only thing I'll ever be smoking again because there are no chemicals.

Pipe Used: Roma-bent billiard

Purchased From: Rite Aid

JtotheCtotheL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JtotheCtotheL (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Love it or hate it, but at $4 a pouch everyone should try it.

I personally love it. I'm a pipe-smoking newb though-- 10 years on and off. Finally gave up the cigarettes and went full time.

I wish this had been the first tobacco I'd tried. And I wish I'd just bought a cheap MM cob instead of fancy Briars. These burleys are just as good or better in a cob. Cobs don't impress anyone but the smoker, and that's all that matters.

PA has a very light flavor, no heavy casing. Maybe a touch of mint or menthol at the very start. After that it's straight up with a mild toasted-almond taste. Pack light, keep the fire stoked, and it doesn't burn the tongue.

Pipe Used: MM eaton cob

Purchased From: P&C

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (16)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Every time I smoke "The Prince" I find myself bemused: "Why do I like this stuff so much?" I continually ask myself. The flavor is extremely mild with just a hint of sweetness augmenting the basic burley nuttiness. The nicotine level is modest. The room note is inoffensive but certainly not in the category of the mouth-watering aromatics. While there's nothing bad or off-putting about this most classic of the classics, neither is there anything that I can point to and say "_that_ is why I have several pounds of this stashed in my cellar!" And yet, time and again, I find myself reaching for the big red tub and truly enjoying a pipe or three of it. And that may be the key to its attractiveness: Prince Albert is a simple and very comfortable tobacco. It is unchallenging and dependably pleasant. At less than two dollars per ounce (if you shop carefully), the economics of each fill are of little importance (compare this with, say, Solani's "Aged Burley Flake," which makes me feel as though I need to be extracting some minor epiphany with each puff in order to get my money's worth--fortunately, that blend in fact delivers, but that's another review). With The Prince, I know I can expect a decent half hour out of each fill, not feel wobbly from the nicotine but still get a pleasant perk-up, not worry excessively about overpuffing and getting my tongue bit, and not drive the neighbors to take up a petition against me.

Prince Albert is a blend that every pipe smoker should at least try, and try with a mind freed from the very high expectations that we bring to the "boutique" artisanal blends. It is a simple, straightforward, and, under the right circumstances, immensely satisfying blend.

El Blue Mule Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
El Blue Mule (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Yes, I've read most of the reviews for Prince Albert. I like this tobacco. The trick to smoking this tobacco is to take the time to slowly experience it. It takes soft, gentle draws to keep the pipe from heating up. When drawn properly, the flavors do present themselves. The flavors are nutty and mildly sweet. I'm not intending to sound negative or sarcastic, but the best description of the flavor reminds me of walking into the shower and smelling scented soap. Women love those little decorative balls of soap that give off that musty sweet scent. That's the flavor I'm reminded of with Prince Albert. The entire time of smoking is to keep a careful draw so as not to over-heat the pipe--that's the trick.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Royal Duke Billiard 1980's

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: The shop is closed now in Dekalb, Illinois

Similar Blends: sweet scented decorative bath soap.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Cheap, smells good in the pouch, burns well and has a good room note. However, I used an unfiltered pipe and the smoke didn't do anything but burn the back of my throat, even though the smoke itself seemed mild in strength and taste. 28 hours later and my tonsils are still raw and I can taste the tobacco in my mouth after a half dozen brushings. Maybe there's some chemical casing on it or something that I am allergic to.

I guess the true value of this tobacco is in the amount of pain and suffering you can inflict upon yourself for only a few bucks. This is terrible.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: From drugstore shelf

Similar Blends: Shredded cardboard, Carter Hall, Half and Half, Sail, Top.

Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Prince Albert is a burley blend that every pipe smoker should try at least once. It has a straight ahead spicy, nutty, burley flavor with a pleasant room note that's not fruity or sickly sweet. It's doesn't taste as sweet at Carter Hall and doesn't have the chemical overtones of Half and Half. It burns great....won't go out.....and requires little attention when smoking making it a perfect smoke for working or driving. PA is an American classic and should be in everyone's rotation. PA also is a great smoke between aromatics to put your pipe back on an even keel.....

Pipe Used: I'll smoke this in anything.....

JimpBarber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JimpBarber (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have enjoyed pipe smoking off and on over the last 30 years. I live in a small community where good tobacco is hard to find, not impossible just hard. I have tried several different brands of tobacco over the years. Most over the counter prepackaged stuff is awful. Acrid, biting, and oh boy WET. I have been really going through the tobaccos here lately, mostly trying them and throwing them out. But, I was looking for a new Czech tool and spotted PA. I thought, my Great Grandfather smoked it. I should give it a try. Wow, my first bowl took me back to 1968 sitting on my Grandfathers knee. The aroma was not over powering, the taste was mild, the smoke was full and immediate. It packed well, lit right up, no need to false light. Now mind you, it is strong, so if you are not used to a light buzz, then sit down! I love it, it is now my daily go to tobacco. I love it! The burly leaves a nice aftertaste, fine ash, and of course that old time pleasant aroma. I would recommend to anyone that wants a great in the middle price and smoke. Not to mention a little nostalgia!

Pipe Used: Med burl bowl, filtered.

Age When Smoked: unknown, fresh from pouch.

Purchased From: Scapoose Cigars and Tobacco - Scapoose Oregon

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, not fantastic. A plain burley that I could suck on all day, but not really much in the taste department, and I do love burelys. Burns great right down to ashes. I will say it has a very full feeling in the mouth, very pleasant. I have ended up using it regularly to mellow out sharper aromatics as well as give them some body. Think of it as a mellow bass note under the symphony. So only somewhat recommended as a regular smoke, though for the sake of a classic it is worth a try, and like a classic it is dependable, it might be just the thing to light up your pipe. Highly recommended as a blending burley, it has proved fantastic in that department.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of packet

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This was my very very first tobacco to try pipe smoking with last month. I thought it tasted and smelled like...cigarettes to be honest. The pouch smells better - slightly chocolatey and nutty. I felt it was slightly harsh and slightly bitter. I have tried 2 more bowls since, and it may have improved a smidgen, but I'll come back to this one when I've sampled more tobacco and perhaps l can appreciate this one more.

--UPDATE-- have since smoked quite a bit of blends in albeit a short amount of time. This morning in an Eaton cob, for the first time again, enjoyed this blend and moved it up a notch. I can see how this is enjoyed at all times any day. It is a smokier smoke, but def has a slight sweetness to it like cocoa. Goes well in the morning with coffee. Will be coming back to it again in a few months!

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum mini corn cob

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars online.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This is, by far, my favorite of the OTC tobaccos. It is not something you want to sit around and ponder over life’s problems. It is far too one dimensional for that. It is; however, something you want when you are taking a walk with the dog, working on a fence, or fishing. Easy to smoke, satisfying and inexpensive. A good ol burley without any frills. Reminds me of my grandfather and his friends.

Pipe Used: various, does better in a straight

Gosmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gosmoke (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I still think the best part of this hobby is the endless tobaccos you find to try. Even the ones I may not like, somebody else does so getting too specific on pipe tobacco is in my mind...redundant. I'm in sales and travel for a living, mostly driving with a territory that covers New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana and straight up to Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota. Don't have the wherewithal to pack a boatload of different tobacco so this is my go to. Love it. Just plain and simple good pipe smoking. I use it to mix with the experimental ones that I try that knock me off the porch!

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)

If people can get past the pretentious notion that they'd be smoking an OTC like some pauper, you will find PA to be a rather pleasant smoke. It's not going to dazzle you with complex flavor; it's just a simple, straightforward, all day smoke. It hasn't been around for so long for no good reason. Keep a pouch for camping or fishing. If you drop it off the boat by accident, it's no big deal. It cost $2.50 a pouch in my neck of the woods, and there's nothing wrong with that for sure. I keep this on hand for days when a simple smoke is all I want/need. A real working man's tobacco. It doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this many years ago (around 35 years ago). Back then, I liked Captain Black and similar blends, and disliked this. Having tried it again, I found I rather like it. Basic, mild, straightforward, perhaps even generic, I still found this slightly nutty/not too sweet OTC to be a surprisingly pleasant smoke. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is yes.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)

This is my "Sat./Sun. morning read the paper and have coffee outside" tobacco. It is perfect for that as this stuff is as easy as a Sunday morning.

It sours towards the bottom but I just dump it out about half way and pack another one. With the cost and availablilty who cares, right?

I have recommended this to friends who want to start smoking pipes. It is good in this regard because it is impossible to get this stuff to bite, it lights without a fuss, it is mild with a natural burley taste and a subtle chocolate/caramel topping that is tough to beat and it is so inexpensive and readily available that if you don't like it you can toss it.

It's faults are that there are some major humidicants placed on this which can result in a "chemical" smell when first lit, but in a way that is good because if you have a whole tub of this it won't go bad and you can let it sit for a while for when you want it. Also, PA is very, very light...think ultra light. This is good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the better over the counter US blends with a nice nutty flavor and a little kick from Lady N. It burns quickly and can bite if pushed hard. Like many others have said, every pipe smoker should they this and the other OTC blends. Pipestud recommended a fifty-fifty mixture of this and Five Brothers and I love it. Each blend is just ok, but when paired together, magic happens. Two and a half stars for the Prince.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

My reviews show I enjoy everything from Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic to Rattray's Old Gowrie to Iwan Ries 3 Star Banner Light to Frog Morton....I'm across the board. That being said Prince Albert is delightful. I love straight burley and this hits the mark. Others can coin the words that I can't type, but this is well worth a try. Its part of my stable.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Age When Smoked: Fresh....

Purchased From: Anywhere I can find it

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I have never been one to buy drugstore blends. I was a seasoned smoker before I moved to the pipe, and was accustomed to better quality tobacco from the start having smoked cigarettes rolled from quality Dutch tobaccos and of course, fine cigars from Davidoff.

That being said, I think the flavor profiles that I am used to have prejudiced me because I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would smoke Prince Albert.

The tobacco is cased with something harsh and chemical tasting. The predominate flavor is akin to the odor of 'Playdough'. The tobaccos used are of inferior quality and would not be good even if the topping were not used. I can't even begin to describe how nasty this weed is. And 'weed' is the proper word for this stuff. You might as well go out in the yard and scrap some grass clippings off the bottom of your lawnmower, I'm positive that more satisfaction would result.

If this is one of the best drugstore blends out there, then I can forego any further experimentation on this level. It would only be a waste of money and time.

Nostalgia can be a tricky thing for people. Memories are often more about the details one cannot remember than the things one does remember. This is a prime example of that. Grandpa may have smoked this, but your love and respect of him does not make this tobacco any better than what it is in reality.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was great, but not as great as the man himself.

I remember the great Prince. He was a tall, slender man of a gentle age. His attitude was that of a jolly fat man, however he wasnt large at all. Because of all the tobacco he consumed and occupied his time with, his appetite was rather stunted. The great Prince always found himself with a cane and many times fashioned his top hat and a large flower on his breast pocket. The combination of these three aesthetic apparel items, always attracted to him female attention. What can be said? The man had a weakness for women. Which is why he expressed his reasons for never marrying; he never wanted to disappoint a wife and child with the unpleasantness of infidelity. Constantly the man would bring me along on many of his hazy, smoke filled adventures amongst the brothels. Albert had a way with the women, even at such a gentle age. He was just as successful in bed as he was in business.

He had been able to use his status a handsome young prince, to gain notoriety amongst not only the nobility, but also amongst the common folk. He loved women of the common folk, especially women with large posteriors, this led him through forbidden doors to promiscuous ventures with women of the darker complexion. To interracial scandal. Oh, Albert, You really were disheveled fox when it came to women.

At one point, Albert had become so enthralled in one woman, hailing from the Caribbeans. She was a practiced witch in the religion of voodoo. (He had planted his seed within her, hence producing a baby. They named him Middleton.) Their practices were rather uncouth, and quite frankly shocking. One day, Albert had disclosed, in confidence to me some of the rituals of the voodoo practice he had become wrapped up in. One of the rituals he had discussed with me had involved 2 slaughtered swine and an artificial phallus to say the least.

Albert's behavior became quite unorthodox until he reached his death bed 16 years later. Yet despite his sporadic behavior, he managed to maintain his image amongst the people, surprisingly enough, the upper class nobility of the very judgmental Victorian era people. On his death bed, he expressed to me his wishes to maintain the company's image and dedication to premium pipe tobacco. Yet, upon his death, his company was handed over to his milano, half-breed, muggle son. The son would later ruin the company by changing the name from "Prince Albert", a name of dignity and honor, to "Middleton" a name of disgust and of low character. He would also ruin the company by replacing the eloquent pipe tobacco with cheap fluted tip cigars. Just like his uncircumcised phallitic manhood.

What happened to this man was a travesty, when they released his old recipe back onto the market, I was enthused to see it once again. Yet the taste was forever tainted by a past full of bitter memories. Now all will know how one man had it all and lost it all. Rest in Peace, Mighty Prince Albert.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok I have primarily become a drugstore blend smoker because there is no tobacconist within a 150+ mile radius,so here is the famous and classic Prince Albert at RiteAid. Tried a bowl, and like all other drugstore smokes it has the harsh bite when lighting it, and it lit and stayed lit very easily. but the worst for me was the taste. I was smoking a beefed up cig in a pouch, what the hell? I hate the taste of cigarettes, i don't mind burley tobacco but this was just disappointing to me. the room note was good, at least it didn't smell like a cancer stick so i guess there is a plus, but i don't really recommend it all that much, I would say its better than Half$Half but not by much, i would honestly rather smoke Captain Black.

I mean this is a good smoke to those who likes this, but it just doesn't do it for me.

(6/14/10) ok this is a review edit, so I've been smokin Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe for the past 6 months now, and i love it. Then all the sudden it got really hot outside and now i can only enjoy this tobacco literally in the morning. I have been telling my friends i wanted a new tobacco that i could smoke all day. Low and Behold i received that huge red tub of burley as a gift. I was going to throw up!! then i opened it and took a wiff and... was impressed. I had first only tried the pouches and the tub is 100 times different. Smelled very nutty with a hint of whiskey. tasted very mild, not much bite. i was actually okay with it. blew me away. PA is okay!

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Good solid basic Burley, a mild nuttiness but little flavour to the smoke...think I prefer Carter Hall with it's sweetness to this but I am happy to work my way through my tub. Seems very good to break in a new pipe with and I've already used it to add to some of my own blends. A good solid 3 stars.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

It's taken me six months to finish a 2 oz or so sample that was gifted to me. I first smoked it in a briar but I kept tasting it when I was smoking other blends in that briar so I dedicated a cob to this blend. The tobacco was kept in a mason jar - not to age it but to keep it fresh and out of the plastic baggie it came to me in.

Ok, the quality of the tobacco is suspect, the room note made my kids think I had switched to cigarettes, and it pales in comparison to top-notch burleys but, you know what? This stuff tastes pretty decent! On top of that, it's fun to smoke! I enjoy nostalgic things and still own a slew of 78 RPM records. As the 78 is the ONLY way to listen to old Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington tunes, so too is PA the only pipe tobacco for the corncob pipe. Or is it, the corncob pipe is the only pipe for PA? Whatever - each brings out the best in the other.

This stuff is a half-step up from Carter Hall, a full step up from my memory of Granger and 10,000 light years ahead of Half & Half. No, it's not the best burley blend but will I buy it again? Well... I just might! I enjoyed this on rare occasions when I was feeling nostalgic, and that's a good feeling! The other test for a tobacco is the question of would I continue to smoke the pipe if this was all that was available? Unlike my impressions of Half & Half and Erinmore Mixture, with PA, the answer is yes I would. I'd be a little crankier but still puffing!

KevinV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KevinV (1)

It's been about 2 1/2 decades since I smoked my first pipe. Since that time I've tried many blends, both foreign and domestic. Although I love the aroma of a good aromatic, I'm not a fan of smoking them all that much. I prefer a straight tobacco flavor and my friends, Prince Albert delivers. It is a consistent, tasty, wonderfully smelling, bite free tobacco that meets my needs. After trying several blends from the biggest names in pipe tobacco, and some not so well known, my loyalty remains with Prince Albert. I have my favorite, and it's PA all the way.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

One of the nice things about drug store blends is typically, they are great for inattentive smoking. They pack and light effortlessly straight out of the pouch and stay lit. The challenging part for me is finding a blend that doesn't taste raspy and chemically or dry out my mouth.

I got a pouch of PA this morning at Wally World for $3.45 and puffed it all day in a starter pipe as I putzed around the yard. It is a very mellow and pleasant tobacco. There is not one thing I do not like about it. There is just a hint of sweetness to it along with a slightly sweet after taste. The flavor doesn't come ravishing through and leave your lips smacking like some of the more exotic English Balkan blends but that is OK. Too much of a good thing can be bad. PA is something I can indulge in without moderation. I like it better than many of the local B&M aromatic bulk blends I've tried.

I doubt this pouch will last long and I'll probably order a tub for as enjoyable and inexpensive as it is.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I recommend this for breaking in pipes and a now and again easy smoke. It is mild, doesn't burn your mouth off your face, it's easy to get and fairly cheap. Best drugstore blend I have had. (only one I smoke!) It has very little nicotine and doesn't seem to turn people off by the smell. Seems OK in public.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Strong

I tried a 20 year old, unopened, perfectly sealed, pouch of PA the other day. So this is not a current review of course and should not be taken as such. The tobacco was moist and not dry or crumbly so I was convinced the seal had not been breached.

I had bought the pouch/paper box 20 years ago myself and found it recently in a coffee table compartment where I had forgotten it.

Jealous that I had such a aged sample cellared away to try?

Don't be.

After 1/3 of the bowl, I became nauseous and the after taste was terrible. I could taste/smell it, off and on, for the next 18 hrs.

My pipe has NEVER made me sick before.

Don't cellar this stuff, smoke it quick.

No offense to you fans of PA, I used to like it fine back in the day when I always smoked it fresh - I'll remember that next time I find an old pouch.

Old PA - 0 Stars

Fresh PA - 2 Stars

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Though definitely a drug store blend, with an acute ?industrialised? taste, Prince Albert is not that bad. For one thing it is not cased or doused with sauces of any kind. Secondly, it is cheap, and easy to pack and light. Sour? Only if smoked very quickly. It is not as tongue biting as Sir Walter Raleigh and it has a straightforward, unmistakeable Burley flavour and aroma. Not at all a great tobacco, in the sense that it is not elegant, refined or complex (compared to PA, Orlik Golden Sliced is majestic and imperial!). But compared to any drug store blend (save perhaps Capt. Black white label) it is very good and enjoyable. It can be smoked practically anywhere, anytime, and if you have to put out the pipe for whatever reason, there is no sorrow or regret. Simplicity at its best.

Best kept in an emergency kit in the cellar, together with a battery lantern, a knife, a couple of corn cob pipes, matches, and a flask of Jack Daniels.

Addendum (January 2007) It may be that I'm getting old, or maybe the fact that I can find this blend virtually anywhere (and always at an afforadable price)but somehow the Prince has really grown on me. It may be a bit monotonous after a while, but, hey, as a simple every day smoke this stuff is very good. A nice companion (and I still go for the Jack Daniels)!

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Unlike so many oldtime blends, Prince Albert has gotten better since I first tried it 35 years ago. I am no fan of Middleton, but this, along with the Kentucky Club blends, proves the exception.

My grandfather was a pipe smoker, and it was he who first put the notion in my head. He usually smoked Half & Half, which is noxious in ANY decade, but occasionally he would buy a tin (yes, a TIN) of Prince Albert. Not a can, but a 2-ounce tin that collapsed as the contents dwindled...just as H & H once did.

When I first tried P. A., it was just about as bad. But in its current iteration, it is a delightful, comforting smoke that is available anywhere.

There is no bite at all; the nicotine content will satisfy anyone; the taste and side-stream aroma are that of homemade bread.

A great "go-to" smoke for any but the tobacco "snob" when you all you want is the pleasure that only a pipe can provide.

It is dry, cool, politically correct, and will do for anyone in a pinch.

If only it were a bit "nuttier," I would give it four stars.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

What was I thinking I bought this at some corner store and for a burley it kind of threw me off, but in a way sweet in its natural way maybe some cheap wine helps this stuff to burn very good. I smoke this in my corncob. I know there is better smoke to be smoked.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a young man, I find I have Dunhill tastes and a Dr. Grabow pocketbook. Believe it or not, I like this smoke--it's cheap, lights well, lets the tobacco speak for itself and doesn't gunk up your pipe (I didn't like to have to throw any of mine out at all).

It doesn't bite or leave an overwhelming taste--but to my experience it can burn quite hot so be careful. That said, I like it, and whenever I am broke or breaking in a new pipe, I use Prince Albert.

BlueTomorrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlueTomorrow (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Strong

This is a very simple burley blend with no added flavors that I can detect. It's toasty and nutty like burleys should be but it just didn't do much for this smoker. Maybe I'm just not a guy for straight burleys.

Prince Albert was really dry straight from the "luxury pouch" which I found odd given the plastic wrap outside the box--maybe I got an old pack. The pouch note was light and very unremarkable to me, but perhaps it's more enjoyable for tried and true burley fans.

PA smoked a little too hot for my comfort which surprised me because it was so dry. It does pack and light very well, but I got a little tongue bite smoking this each time I tried it.

If you're looking for a burley OTC this may well fit the bill for you, but my personal recommendation is to give Granger a try: it does everything PA does but, in my opinion, just a little bit better.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Age When Smoked: pouch

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Granger.

slithery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slithery (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

While not readily available in Canada and, like all tobacco here, certainly not cheap, I imported a tub of this and even with customs, did not pay that much. I will be reviewing based off my personal preference. I like this. It is a bit nutty, with what I can only guesstimately describe to be unsalted cashews, easy to pack and light, and quite good. I will try not to let the cheap price cloud my judgment but I am glad I have 14oz. of this and will be purchasing more when my supply runs low. It's average tobacco, yes, but that is the beauty of it, is it not? Simple burley, I can't detect any casing or toppings though I remember a slight scent of anise when first opening the tub. None in the flavour though and that anise is either gone or my nostrils have adjusted and just ignore it now. Good quality, cheap, easy to import and damn pleasant. Now wow, but pleasant. I have a Missouri Meerschaum 'second' cob which I believe to be of the Cobbit line, but with a shorter stem, which thus far has been my dedicated Prince Albert pipe. Smokes well in my estate Turkish meerschaum as well. When my new pear wood churchwarden pipe had a bit of ghost, I smoked some Prince Albert through it as a reviewer on here mentioned this tobacco is good for getting rid of ghosts and it seem to be working after a few bowls. Don't let my 2 star review fool you. It is honestly more 2.5/5 but I view this tobacco as average thus it gets the middle star. Trust me, I believe there needs to be a 0 star option as well. I know this is sold almost everywhere in the U.S. for just a hair above pocket change and while some here claim the pouch is of inferior quality to the tub, for that price is it really much of a loss? Worth trying once at the very least and don't let the codger reputation nor the budget cost fool you. This has been around for, what, since the American civil war era? If it were bad it would have not stood the test of time. An average every day simple smoke. 2.5/5 stars. Oh, one thing. I am Canadian and while I no longer smoke cigarettes, when I did Canadian cigarettes I remember reading Virginia tobacco on them while American cigarettes are made of burley. Now I do not know what kind of Virginia's they use in cigarettes as none have the pipe tobacco flavour, but I will be unable to say if this smells, tastes, or has the room note of cigarettes as I am ignorant on cigarettes made with burley tobacco.

Pipe Used: corn cob, Turkish meerschaum, pear wood

Age When Smoked: Immediately

Similar Blends: Granger.

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Not as good as Carter Hall. Prince Albert reminded me of cigarettes which I detest. Overall, not a very pleasant smoke for me. It was the second pipe tobacco that I tried after using Captain Black exclusively, and it seemed overly harsh to me at the time. I will go back and try it again eventually.

Pipe Used: Medico Zulu Crest #47

Purchased From: Truck Stop in Oklahoma

Similar Blends: Camel non-filtered..

taima Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taima (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I got some in a pouch at the drugstore once. Cheap and good from the get-go, burns evenly to the bottom with a "classic" tobacco taste. It's a bit like cigarettes but the nutty flavor is very pleasant. Solid and simple.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A nutty, cocoa-full scent straight of the pouch greets you to a nicely presented tobacco that packs easily, burns cool and fast, and is very friendly to people around you. For the smoker however, a dominant burley flavor reminiscent of Marlboro cigarettes with a faint hint of plum is all the blend offers in terms of flavor.

Reliable, fast, cheap, and friendly. For the price, I can only highly recommend it.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (18)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Among my earliest memories of my father are those of him sitting by the radio, listening to some SW foreign station, reading a book and smoking a pipe. The ubiquitous flat red can was the first tobacco I have a memory of.

I've been smoking pipes for 50 years, with the exception of a few years I quitted tobacco. Prince Albert, naturally was one of my first staples, in a time when a cellar or a rotation were unheard of, at least among my acquaintances. It was then a matter of what you smoked.

As I grew older and somewhat savvier tobacco-wise, I managed to keep a few blends at hand and P.A. recessed, until for the better part of twenty years I hadn't tasted it again. Recently, looking for what I described as the equivalent of a lemon sherbet between courses in a banquet, somebody said "Burley! get P.A. or Carter Hall" so I did. I'm now angry that I neglected this simple but excellent blend for so many years.

My regular smokes are upper echelon Balkan/English blends, VaPers and the occasional Cavendish for a break in the routine. Prince Albert was both a revelation as a rediscovery, like an encounter with an old flame. Not enough to tempt you to divorce but something that cartainly stirrs up your heart rate.

The characteristics are well described by the other reviewers, so I won't go there save to say that the ease of packing, lighting and smoking are still there. The cool burn to the very bottom of the pipe leaving only gray-white ash, the zero tongue bite, the simple sweet and nutty flavor, the nice aroma that almost no one will object, plus the workingman price for the huge 400g plastic tin, have made this the prodigal son of my cellar, and gave it a prominent place in my rotation.

It's also probably one of the best blends for a beginner. No wonder it's still going strong after 100 years.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Calabash, MM Cob, Briar Billiard, etc.

Age When Smoked: A few months.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Carter Hall..

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A no nonsense old codger blend that is a monument in the pipe tobacco world.

The cut is very coarse, and I like that. It's dry out of the pouch and packs and burns easily. You may even be able to get this to the bottom in one light with concious puffing and gentle tamping. It almost always burns to a fine white ash with little to no dottle.

No flavor surprised here, it's a burley. I find it to have a very earthy and mossy flavor profile with subtle hints of nuttiness and a slight cocoa flavor (not that anything like has been added). I wouldn't be surprised if sugar or something like that was used to case this but I highly doubt there is any topping. Just a nice natural burley flavor throughout the smoke.

I will admit I was grazed by the N train sometimes. Didn't knock me on my ass but you can feel it if you haven't eaten anything or aren't hydrated.

While I prefer the sweetness of Carter Hall over PA, it's still a great smoke, especially in a cob. This is a great tobacco used to break in a pipe as it doesn't ghost and will form a nice cake. For the OTC burleys I list them as 1. Carter Hall 2. SWR/PA 3. Half and Half. Still gotta get some granger one of these days...

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: Was definetly an old pouch in my tobacconist.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Simple!! And in its simplicity I find a rich nutty consistency which never fails to deliver when I'm n the mood. There is a peculiar aftertaste when finishing a few bowls, but I care not. This is a staple, a classic, a truly American weed that brings back memories of seeing it in its box or jar as a kid and wondering what lie therein. Thanks PA, for the memories gone by and the new ones yet to come. MJCABY

Pipe Used: All of them

Age When Smoked: 6 months old

Purchased From: CVS

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)

I keep coming back to PA with the hope of finding it to be more than semi-tolerable pipe fodder. It is readily available and I like the option of picking this up whenever I want it, but I have failed to come to terms with this blend.

Some things recommend this age-old blend. PA is well behaved in the bowl, smokes quickly, and leaves very little dottle. Others write of the hints of cocoa and other flavors in this blend. I get much more of that from Sutliff's Edgeworth Ready Rub match, which I find to be a superior blend when I want a burley blast. I used to get good flavors from Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, but that's another story.

However, PA has some kind of a whang in it that doesn't appeal to me. Some have suggested that this is a chemical in the blend. I don't know what it is, but I seem to fixate on it every time I smoke PA.

I can only recommend this somewhat.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from tub

Purchased From: Local b&m

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

How can you go wrong with this tobacco? It's just good ol' basic burley. Not too much to go wrong here. Remember, reviews are nothing more than opinions and well you know what they liken them to; Yep, a______s! For the price you cannot go wrong. Don't like it, gift it away and then choose another to try.

Pipe Used: No name briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After dragging my feet I finally bought a few ounces of PA to try, if nothing else I thought it would be good to break in new pipes with. I was pleasantly surprised by PA slightly sweet, nutty smoke. Not my favorite, but a great go fart around in the garage type of smoke. =Updated 7-3-15= There is something about the Prince that just keeps me coming back. I was primarily using it for breaking in new pipes, but those new pipes are broken in and I continue to grab the PA jar more frequently than any of my other high end blends. It is just a great smoke. Relaxing, tastes good, and smells great, I can use it any of my pipes without fear of ghosting. I absolutely love everything about it. PA is firmly set in my rotation and I'm not embarrassed a bit to say it.

Pipe Used: various

all.day.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
all.day.smoker (7)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is delicious! It's a very mild and gentle burley. I smoked it in a 9mm filterpipe and there was still enough flavour. This was one of the best burleys (burley-based) i tried so far.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes bent bulldog

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I can't believe I haven't gotten around to reviewing this yet. Next to half and bald or capt black. The prince is the best known pipe tobacco in the us. It's tobacco royalty nonetheless. Even now, while smoking some rattrays highland targe I can bring to mind it's well rounded flavor. I still use it to break in new pipes that are being stubborn.

It burns nice and cool and stays lit very well. It also has a fairly tolerable room note that at least doesn't offend cig smokers. It's flavor is predominantly nutty burley goodness. It has hints at times of baking choc, coffee and something else I can't place. Maybe black licorice. It can get a little sloppy towards the end if you burn it too hot, but it's lack of bite prevents you knowing that until it's nearly too late.

This is the one to grab if you have to get it from a drugstore. Or maybe a gas station in the middle of nowhere. It's sold almost everywhere you can buy tobacco. It's a good solid, uncomplicated smoke for any time of day. It goes well with coffee in the morning, or beer at night. And it's cheap haha. So if it's not for you, you're not out that much money.

Pipe Used: Various Grabows, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouches

Purchased From: Just about anywhere

Similar Blends: Most drugstore burley blends.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this before! I started smoking PA when I was a teenager because my Uncle who visited from Ireland smoked it and 'forgot' a small pouch and a Corn Cob when he left. I really liked it then and over the years I tried dozens of different tobacco's and have liked many of them yet I keep coming back to good old reliable Prince Albert. Cool, consistent smoke with no bite, pleasant taste and smokes well in all kinds of pipes. I smoke about 5 pipes in an average day and at least 2 are PA

Pipe Used: Corn Cob; Sasieni; Dr. Grabow; Comoy's; Peterson

old biker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
old biker (4)

Ahhhh! Prince Albert! For me it don't get no better than this. Smooth, mild, consistent flavor, NO tongue bite, NO aftertaste. A real pleasure to smoke! I have been buying this steady for 3 years online from Smoker's Outlet. Great price- great service- great smoke.

Pipe Used: corn cob/hardwood

Purchased From: smokers outlet

Paul S. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul S. (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A smoke that's been around forever and has found it's way into the hearts of many. A pleasant tobacco, the dominant flavours being cocoa-like and nutty. I also get a slight marzipan note. Burns consistently, though a tad hot, but doesn't bite. Overall a very nice experience!

Pipe Used: Nording Sandblasted Dublin

BullseyeNat93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BullseyeNat93 (1)
Extremely Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

When I'm enjoying Price Albert pipe tobacco I get aromas and flavors like apples, cherries, chocolate, cinnamon, sweet hay and licorice also when I'm at the local tobacco shop buying Prince Albert pipe tobacco someone will come up to me and ask me why am I buying that cheap low quality pipe tobacco and I'll remember what my great grandfather would always say to me when I would ask him the same thing and my great grandfather would say something like it's not the price of something that tells you and shows you the quality and the value of it it's the way it feels, it's the way it looks, it's the way it smells, it's the way it sounds and it's the way it tastes when you're enjoying it that tells you and shows you the true quality and the true value of it and I would tell them the same thing my great grandfather told me.

Pipe Used: Briar and Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: One Month

Purchased From: Local Tobacco Store

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow how tastes change over the years. PA has become my all day, 5 bowls a day blend. I either smoke small cobs or smoke 3/4's of a large pipe since the last quarter or so of a large bowl doesn't taste nearly as nice. Really sip it and enjoy the chocolaty burley and cedar aroma when blown through the nose and on the tip of your tongue. The Prince really grows on you!

Prince Albert is Carter Halls brother but where Carter Hall has some bright notes ( I think there's a tiny bit of yellow Virginia) the prince has all low bass notes. I do occasionally use some PA in my RYO smokes and it's also a great blend to break in a pipe and will not offend anyone in the room note department as it's just old timey and neutral. Four stars due to it being non offensive and a very good product for the price!

Pipe Used: cob, briar, meerschaum

Purchased From: WV Smokeshop

Highlander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Highlander (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

As a novice pipe smoker, I had been directed to aromatics. The experience was unsettling ... tongue burn, strange chemical tastes, hard to keep lit bowls. I decided to look for what I hoped would be a straightforward, bland, solid tobacco. I thought that an old standard would be a good choice, so I chose Prince Albert.

I was delighted with the choice. It was drier and easier to dry, had a solid consistent flavor -- very woody (a sense of autumn leaves burning), smoked as close to a complete bowl of ash as I had experienced, and was, well, dependable. The bite was much reduced over the aromatics. I smoked about five or six bowls in a row and the experience of being able to know what to expect was comforting.

After moving on and trying other tobaccos, I return to Prince Albert on a regular basis. Frankly, the taste now seems flatter than when I first smoked it, no nuance, at times approaching boring. But it is the one tobacco that I know will deliver a decent, if unexciting, bowl.

Pipe Used: Brindisi

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I picked up the next to the last pouch at Walmart for only $4.73. That's a bargain here in tax heavy Connecticut. Seemed to have been on the shelf awhile as the tobac was dry. Probably why it lit right up and needed minimal relighting. It also burned fast, but did stay cool. No tongue bite. I've been on a tour of all the classic OTC blends, this is the latest stop. Smells sweet in the pouch, but that doesn't transfer to the smoke. Didn't find any nicotine, so I was disappointed. I used most of the pouch to blend with some amaretto tobacco I bought in bulk, and the rest with Altadis Smoker Friendly Jamaican Rum, because neither would stay lit. Both hid the cigarette taste of the PA, but I didn't like either concoction. I gave them both away.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerscham Hardwood

Age When Smoked: new?

AmdisShikariBrone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmdisShikariBrone (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh were to start with this wonderful blend, I picked it up for two reasons, One its said to be the grandfather smoke, and what would one want more than to feel like their grandfather? and secondly I work at walmart [commence the mockery] and they sell it for a rather low price, 1.5 ounce for 5.12 after tax. Its wonderful, it has hints of what I feel to be caramel and a slight nutty taste, it smokes a little too fast for my taste but is quite convenient for a smoke break. It doesnt seem to smoke hot or give any tongue bite. contrary to some reviews on here I found it to be one of the most enjoyable smokes Ive had.

Pipe Used: Wooden

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of pouch, doesnt last long enough to age

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

PA is plain ole and good ole tobacco. Plain and simple ribbon cut burly tobacco grown and processed in the USA. Its smooth and cool burning and has a mild nic hit with a nutty sweet tobacco flavor. Love smoking it in my cobs. I love the aroma it really takes me back to a simpler time. Nothing fancy but something special from the USA.

J.G. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.G. (7)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I tried to like this. I smoked a pouch and a half of Prince Albert (for a total of about 2 ounces of tobacco). Then I threw the rest in the trash.

The Basics: Prince Albert is a burley blend of pipe tobacco. It's an OTC (over the counter) blend which is widely available in the US, at pretty much every grocery store and convenience store. It's been around for a long time. And, it's inexpensive. A 1.5 ounce sack costs about $3.50. A 14 ounce tub costs about $30. The crimp-cut of the tobacco makes it easy to pack and easy to light, and it generally stays lit. The nicotine content is mild to medium.

The Good: The flavor, when I could taste any flavor, was delicious. There was a rich tobacco taste, with moderate sweetness. There was a casing that tasted sometimes like figs and sometimes like chocolate but which was not overpowering.

The Bad: I often could not taste anything at all. Often, it was like smoking hot air. I got the best results in pipes with small, shallow, wide bowls. I got almost no taste in pipes with tall, narrow, or medium sized bowls.

Worse: I always got a nasty, chemical-type burn in my mouth and nose. That was the one consistent "flavor." I might or might not be able to taste the tobacco, but my mouth and nose always felt like they were being singed by chemicals.

Conclusion: I give Prince Albert 2 stars out of 4. One star is for my own disappointing experience. Another star is because many other people have enjoyed it. People's tastes are different. It's worth trying at least once because it has become an American classic. But, you might want to look for something else, too.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

The tobacco in the pouch smells pretty good, like dark chocolate. PA has great burning qualities. Burns cool and clean down to white ash with very few relights. The first half of the bowl is very mildly sweet and nutty. The second half, the mild sweet taste burns off and the nutty tends to bitter. It does have a very pleasant nostalgic room note.

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)

Prince Albert is a classic old time favorite. I can remember as a boy watching old men roll their own cigarettes with this tobacco. My father also smoked it in his pipe and I loved walking into a room where it was being smoked.

I find it tastes a bit like its room aroma for the first half bowl. It is not a complex tobacco and is rather one dimensional in its flavor, as are all the classics - Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh and Half n Half. But unlike the others, the Prince will suddenly drop its flavor about mid way down the bowl. It simply goes flat and if you keep smoking it develops a taste not unlike that of a dirty mop. Still, despite its flaws it is cheap enough that I can smoke it down to the point where the flavor drops out and empty the bowl and have another.

Of all the classics, Carter Hall is the mildest. Half and Half has the fullest flavor, with SWR sitting in the middle. The Prince is second in mildness to CH, but lacking in the flavor the others give you.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

It's an old codger burley. It's an OTC blend. It's cheap. It's ubiquitous. It's pretty damn good. If you love burley, I can't see how you would dislike it. Yeah, it has some PG, but that evaporates rather quickly if you leave it out for a little while (I like my tobaccos a little on the dryer side, anyway). Yeah, PA is a little on the sweet side, when compared with Carter Hall, Granger, and Sir Walter Raleigh. But, there's nothing like it when you're in the mood for it. This tobacco was what your grandfather probably smoked. Enjoy it.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)

I'm one who enjoys a good IPA, or a stout, but sometimes it's nice to have a Budweiser. This is a Budweiser kind of smoke. I just finished my first pouch and I enjoyed every bowl. Because of the price and availability here in the States, this is one comes recommended and is a tobacco I'll keep on hand. The taste and smell do suggest cigarettes (as a former cigarette smoker I am particularly reminded of Camel lights). For those who could do without cigarette analogies, this is a simple burley tobacco with very little casing. If there are chemicals added, they don't show up in the taste. The description says "alcohol" casing, but compared to Half and Half or other drug store blends, this one is au naturale.

Edit 1/25/14

Well, I've had some more experience with burleys since my first review. After trying C&D's dark burley for example, my idea of au naturale has changed a bit. Now, to my palate Prince Albert has some obvious casing, and (as others have noted) it does get bitter and sticky around mid-bowl to bottom. I'm taking away a star, but it's still a good blender.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

...when I started smoking a pipe in 1960, Prince Albert, SWR and Half & Half were my everyday day mixtures...very inexpensive at the time, reasonable smoke and available anywhere.

the last 45 years I have spent smoking strong Virginia Plugs/Flakes and they are still my preference...However, every few years I pull a tub of PA out and smoke a few bowls for the memories...

The last few weeks I have been smoking PA and this time around, I quite like this...and since I'm not a Burley fan...the aroma, taste and smoking characteristics of PA have almost made this a daily go to smoke.

The tub I am smoking out of is about 22 years old but I've also purchased a few pouches over the last two weeks as well...little to no difference, so consistency is there for sure...

I have not yet decided to keep this in my top 15 tobaccos I smoke in rotation, but it is close to being there...a most worthwhile tobacco I think, and one that I have come to appreciate more and more...

Perfect in a larger size pipe , group 4 size or higher...

...a pipe is to be savored...

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This blend smells and tastes like empty smoke. If you want flavor, go somewhere else. Most cigars and regular cigarettes have more flavor than this. Oh well, at least you can't say the smell is offensive. On the flip side, if you just want the act of smoking without having to worry about flavor, this might suit you. Another good thing is that it burns well, even out of the box.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert has become my everyday go to smoke. Nice nutty Burley flavor with very faint cacao notes. Moisture level is always perfect. Just a nice straight up smoke that I can enjoy any time of the day. People can turn up their noses all they want, but there's a reason it's been in production since 1907.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum, Falcon, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tub.

Purchased From: B&M Tobacco Shop

Similar Blends: Prince Albert Choice Blend, Carter Hall, Granger.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)

Well, I never tried this tobacco even though it's been around forever. Much like other smokers maybe I just assumed it can't be good if it's available at Wal-Mart for a decent price. Well, I am not here to tell you it's good, but it's not bad. Not at all.

Bland and mild, with that familiar aroma that you know from your grampa or other old memories, it's just a really simple smoke. Tastes good to me, though nothing special, just kind of a sweetish taste. Burns great from top to bottom, provides the nic that I like. It's a great pouch of tobacco to have on hand for lean times or when you're waiting for an order of high end stuff.

Weird thing about this smoke. This is the coolest pipe tobacco I've ever smoked. I mean, it felt like I was drawing the smoke over ice cubes, compared to other tobaccos. I did not 'feel' this smoke in my mouth the way I do with all other tobacco smoke. Can't really decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. At first I thought I was puffing air when i took the long draw, but sure enough i blew the biggest, fluffiest cloud of pure white smoke ever! Crazy how cool this stuff is, seriously.

Edit 6/5/14 Well, as it turns out I left home on a business trip with a sasieni full of tobacco and completely forgot my bag with all my other pipes and tobacco I planned on taking. If PA is one thing, it is widely available and a gas station on the way had some for sale, so I guess I was destined to give this another shot.

I realized I was a little harsh on this one so I am adding a star. It wasn't as bad as I recall and this most likely has to do with experience and improved technique.

I still prefer CH and SWR to this, but it is not bad and will definitely do in a pinch should the need arise. I still will not purposely buy any more, but I reserve the one star reviews for those I can't stomach.

Original review:

I guess I made the mistake of buying some of this after I had bought a tub of Carter Hall. As I feel these two are similar in what they are meant to accomplish, I can't in good conscience recommend this blend as CH is better and is likely available right next to PA whereever you buy it.

I know, I know, . . . Your Grandfather smoked it, Your great grandfather smoked it . . . I get all of that, but did they have the internet? Did they interact with other smokers from all over the world bringing awareness to several blends previously unknown to these gentlemen.

It is a different time. And there are too many better blends out there. As for the PA itself, I was unable to finish a bowl of PA by itself. I just did not like the taste of it. Fortunately I only bought a two oz. bag. I tried it a few times in a few different bowls and the experience did not change. Ironically enough, I mixed the remainder with a generous portion of the CH from my tub. This made it smokable to me, but I would still have preferred the CH straight. YMMV.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I went through a phase of trying as many of those old US brands as I could - probably because they have been around such a long time and a bit of romantic curiosity. "Prince Albert - In the red packet" was the first. I'd never heard of "crimp" cut before but it sounded mildly exciting. What I found was a light brown tobacco, very finely cut - not a shag - but almost like was shredded and chopped into a fine confetti-like consistency. I believe this tobacco is predominately white burley and flavour was mild with a light but familiar maple scent. It burns well with no tongue bite, but it was aslo very one-dimensional and I knew I'd soon tire of it. In summary, I was a little disappointed with this one but somebody must like it if it's been on the market for so long.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

They should call this stuff KING ALBERT.

How Prince Albert hasn't been elevated to King after all these years is a wonder to me. He deserves it. This stuff is an excellent burley blend. Even more astonishing is that it is a "drugstore" mix. Just a classic, old school smoke.

The smoke experience itself, is smooth, meedium strength burley tobacco taste. This is not a complex blend. Just a nice straight, smooth tobacco taste. I find the Prince to be a non-aromatic. The topping/flavoring/casings in the blend are very mild and I really didn't detect any dominant "flavoring." There is a little sweetness, some of which I'd attribute to the burley.

I plan to keep some of this on hand from here on out. Right next to the big name blends and the tobacco shop mixes. It is that good.

I started smoking pipes several years ago. After smoking close to a hundered blends of every type, I am starting to settle on the blends I want to keep in rotation. Prince Albert will be one of them. I usually smoke expensive, "big name", English blends because I enjoy latakia. I also like to work in some nice virgina or vaper flakes. Less frequently, I like good burley blends now and again. And of course decent aromatics.

Just a well done, consistenly great, burley performer.

Lastly, if you have Prince Albert in a can, please let him out.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

To begin this review I must admit to a bit of a fallacy on my part. In the beginning of my pipe smoking odyssey I fell victim to the ignorant belief that any tobacco you can buy at a drug store or gas station was not worth smoking. My mantra was that any place that I can buy pipe tobacco and Slim jim's, is probably not the place to find decent leaf. As I got older I realized my elitist attitude was false. The truth is the basic principles of economy do not let sub par products last. That is why new coke was gone before most could find it, and Prince Albert has been around for over 100 years.

This may not be the best tobacco you ever smoke but it is a solid product at a very reasonable price. The pouch note suggests some topping, maybe chocolate? but that essence does not come through heavily on the burn. It is a nutty and flavorful smoke and just plain does not bite. A great value and the perfect blend for mowing the lawn or any other activity that does not not allow you to focus solely on whats going on in the pipe. Works beautifully in a cob and every pipe smoker should try it at some point, especially based on the availability and the price (assuming you are in the US).

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Smells chocolatey in the pouch. Packs nice, smokes nice, no muss, no fuss. I thoroughly enjoyed this and will again.

*2nd of the drug store blends

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (8)

Prince Albert...the pipe tobacco guaranteed to make you appreciate the taste of burley.PA isn't really a classic as people make it out to be,just like Half & Half and other burley blends it's on the shelves of every supermarket and drugstore.For some it's a nice starter smoke and a good blender,for others individuals such as myself it's a nice everyday smoke on it's own.The taste of PA is very simplified:it's generally smooth and nutty(like hazelnuts),gets richer towards the bottom of the bowl...and that's it just nature-intended goodness.The burley in PA is what I can best describe as 'clean tasting' being that the taste of PA is very open you get to enjoy all the taste characteristics of burley.Not all burleys are made the same,due to how they're cured the taste characteristics might alter for example,you might try another drugstore burley and find it to have a bolder and richer taste but the nuttyness factor has been turned down several notches,it varies radically on the blend.PA has a nice burn time and leaves a cloud of rich white smoke in the room,as a matter fact it normally leaves your pipe dry and clean.The room note I never notice after all these years,but nothing odd about it just the rich and delicious scent of tobacco.Recommending PA as an everyday smoke I'm neutral on:to me burley is like coffee,it's a one-dimensional taste that appeals to certain people and they stick with it.But no matter how much you enjoy the taste of coffee,some day you may try another brand or desire to have cream(topping) with your coffee as a nice change of pace.Point being PA is good stuff and I've enjoyed it for years and still to this day it's my main smoke but it's not the only drugstore burley with something good to offer.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Prince Albert, as everyone knows, is a classic. The taste walks a fine line between pleasant, nutty burley and cigarette. Fortunately, its more of the former and it always delivers a smooth satisfying smoke.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Every serious pipesmoker has to try a pouch of this at least once in his pipesmoking life. I do prefer Carter Hall over this, but would definitely prefer it over SWR, as I said, you gotta try it at least once.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Amazing that in all the years I've been a brother o' the briar I had never tried this classic until very recently. The reason for that is that several years ago, I bought a pouch of Half and Half and found it very disagreeable. I assumed that Prince Albert was probably just as bad, so I didn't bother to give it a try. I preferred buying my 'baccy in tins or from jars at the tobacconist's. Reading pipe tobacco reviews, however, has made me reconsider the so called "drug store blends" and I have found Carter Hall and now Prince Albert to be very enjoyable.

I purchased my PA in a 1.5 oz. "luxury pouch." This seemed to be a very fresh pouch. The tobacco was not moist, but not dry either--just right. The aroma I got was cocoa. The ribbon cut tobacco packed beautifully. I smoked it in my beloved Peterson Shannon 05 which was ideal. It lit well, burned beautifully right down to the bottom, and never required a relight. I made it a point not to puff hard, and, in fact, I didn't need to. This stuff makes plenty of smoke. The taste was consistent and one dimensional--just a nice smooth mostly burley, nutty smoke with a hint of sweetness. It was a pleasing smoking experience: cool and dry without any foul juice traveling up the stem. No tongue bite. No soapy or chemical taste at all.

I didn't experience the 'cigarettishness' that some reviewers have mentioned. I HATE cigarettes--I've always hated them--so I was worried about that. However, I didn't get that in aroma or flavor. I did smoke this outside on the patio; but there was no breeze and the clouds of smoke hung low in the air, so I think I have a good idea of the room note. To me it was just pipe tobacco plain and simple. Like I said, my pouch was very fresh. There's some N in there-- enough to cause a little buzz, but certainly not enough to knock you down (except maybe on an empty stomach). I really like this old codger blend and I'll always keep some on hand. Definitely recommended!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well I am currently away from the green and pleasant lands of the United Kingdom and holidaying in the sunny climes of Florida U.S.A.

Thought I'd try some of the local 'brews' that are not available in the UK. There are no decent tobacconists at all in the Orlando area so I opted for two OTC blends I've heard loads about on this site.

The first was 'Red - Cap'.......Well that was shite. Smelled nice, but was just fast burning rough cut cigarette baccy made for pipes.

I then tried a pouch of the legendary 'Prince Albert'. And I must say, I was really impressed with this blend. It's a very mild, biteless, with a hint of a somewhat nutty/coffee flavour.

I currently have two pouches that come in what I assume is a standard foil pouch and a little red box which is wrapped in cellophane.

I have been smoking this daily whilst in Florida (obtained from a nearby Walmart). Its been good, no hassle, low maintainence company whilst I fish for 2lb size big mouth bass on the lake next to our holiday villa. My only criticism is that it does tend to burn a little quickly, but it is only $5 for 1.5 oz's and is an OTC blend.

Shame its unavailable in the UK as it'd go down really well, and is far superior to crap like 'Clan' 'Condor' 'Mellow Virgnia' and the new version of 'Gold Block'

I have stocked up with some other higher end blends whilst out here via internet ordering to our holiday villa. Namely some GLP's 'Jack knife Plug', 'Ten Russians' some 'Blue Note' and some Peterson's Perfect Plug which whilst available in the UK, is only $8 dollars out here, compared to £10 in the UK ($15). All of is to be duly smuggled back to the UK with some of this Prince Albert stuff.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A resounding meh. It was a lot liking smoking a cigarette. From time to time I would get a nice taste of something sweet and tobaccoy, but it was merely a fleeting taste and then I would simply get cigarette. Perhaps that's the "pure tobacco" flavor people talk about, but it's not for me.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Open the pouch to a fruity aroma (half berry, half orange), a little nutty burley in the background - comes through the sweet casing as a sort of buttered graham cracker scent. After the pouch has been open a few minutes the fruit seems to evaporate somewhat, bringing the sweet cookie aroma to the foreground a little.

Packs, lights and burns great.

So mild and quite tasty. Cool burley, mildly sweetened. Nuts, cocoa, coffee. Simple, warm burley blend. I was surprised at the natural flavor of this tobacco, it has a little of that American burley blend soapiness, but not as much chemical taste as most of the drugstore blends. The room aroma is a little cigarette-like, and in a close space turns ashy and stale pretty quickly. Great for the porch and rocker - Damn! This stuff is turning me into my grandpa.

Not at all disagreeable, but not exactly exciting either. Plenty of nicotine. A pleasant, easy smoke. Great Price!

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

Old Jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Jack (3)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert is the best tasting burley tobacco I have ever smoked. I have smoked pipes for fifty-four years. For much of that time I used fine British tobaccos and loved them. I have always liked the occasional break provided by burley tobacco. About ten years ago I smoked a bowl of PA and I now smoke it most of the time.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

I would have to say this is probably the best blend to introduce a cigarette smoker to the world of pipe smoking. Everything else has already been said.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I can't tell you how much I detest this tobacco, the flavor would be okay, except every time I smoke it I get this horrible taste of chemicals, I don't know what it is, but I can't stand it. People recommend this to break in a pipe and I've tried several times and never gotten through a bowl. Simply terrible, that's all I can say about it.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It seems foolhardy to try a baccy that has 259 reviews warning me that it is really a cigarette tobacco composed of pure burly rather than a blend. However, I felt I should actually try it first-hand so I could malign it with authority. Also, it seems to be the standard by which all other cheap blends are judged so I needed to know exactly what the benchmark is.

Indoors it does taste like cigarettes but outdoors it does have a mellow quality about it and it is surprisingly good for such a cheap tobacco. It does have a heckuva nicotine hit that will satisfy your need for vitamin N for hours. It is not the sort of baccy that you would want to savor with a tumbler of quality bourbon as you sit in your easy chair in front of the fireplace late evenings. It is more the sort of stuff that you smoke while sprawled under a shade tree and sipping coffee with your bird dog resting his chin on your knee.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Not a bad tobacco in a meershaum, didn't care for it in a briar. You need to try this at least once.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

Not everything old is good, but this old standby certainly is. Prince Albert is not the champagne of pipe tobacco blends. But it is, perhaps, the morning cup of coffee. The taste is mild, not overbearing or cheap, and the nicotine load is light-to-moderate. It is easy to pack and light, and it stays lit to the bottom. I don't tire of it, returning to it again and again.

The taste is burley, even and quite plain. After smoking stronger, more distinctive blends I enjoy coming back to the Prince for a breather.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Prince Albert… First off, you should not judge any blend on one or two bowls smoked with random care. Give this stuff a change, with good technique, deserving any fine tobacco. Once into a solid burn, I find flavor nuances unlike any other so called straight burley. Probably because the Prince is not a straight burley after all. My pallet detects something else, low keyed, but their. Try it real slow and easy and see for yourself. Straight burley, I think not. One of my all time favorite, go to smokes.

jdr2008 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdr2008 (4)

I like PA, For me it packed and smoked well, I do like the taste, For me it has a slight sweet taste and the burley comes through on a good note, It can bite a little if smoked to quickly, the room note is not so bad either, To me it smells better than a cigarette and I smoke those to. If you like burley then Im sure you will like Prince Albert.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)

I like 'friendly' burley. That said PA can reveal a wide range of tastes depending on what bowl one smokes this in. That is my experience. In one pipe I could tast all the artifice and props that conspire to concoct a cobbled up OTC train wreck and in another something really, really good.. a hint of Rich's City of Roses (Sacre Mon Bleu). I'm more than happy to find something I like at an affordable price. That tobacco has stuff added to it to make it smoke better is nothing new. Aged, cased, topped, pickled, herbed, overpriced...pick your battles and enjoy it for what it is.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Awww, I don't know...I'll just say that it's a good thing a pouch of this only costs a couple of bucks. Of course, so does a ticket to the Blah Festival.

A pleasantly inoffensive blend, I'd picture this being a good tobacco for accountants to smoke. Know the difference between an outgoing accountant and an introverted one? The outgoing accountant looks at YOUR shoes when he's talking to you.

(bam!)

Hopefully Prince Albert was a bit more interesting than his tobacco namesake.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first pipe tobacco, and one of my favorites. Definitely one to keep on hand either for everyday smoking or for blending. I smoke PA straight or use it to beef up a very mild smoke. Can be used for cigarettes as well but much prefer this in a pipe. Inexpensive, a decent smoke, and a great blender, it's hard not to like the Prince!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

PA has been around forever--i remember it as a child well over 60 years ago--they must be doing something right--

there are better burlies around, but not at the price that PA commands--

packs and lights easily--burns dry to the bottom--

a good, basic, OTC that can be smoked day in and day out--any burly man will appreciate PA--

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert is heads and shoulders above the likes of Borkum Riff and Captain Black. In an emergency I would buy it and smoke it. It almost deserves three stars, but not quite. There is a cigarettish after-taste which is somewhat bitter and not quite pleasant. Hence two stars.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Have ya tried them all, and not tried this old timey baccy yet? Good Old Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband. Just like him this tobacco dosen't get as much attention as the others. All that said it doesn't mean this is rag weed at all, for this is American White Burley. You've seen it growing thru Kentucky and Tennessee. It's quite simple in nature and taste. It is very rewarding in nicotene, and nutty in flavour. Packs easy and if you have a rolling paper left over from college, roll yourself a cigarette with it. There is no bite, it wll not goop up your pipe, lights easy,and smokes to the bottom leaving a fine grey ask. Great stuff!

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I thought I would add my two cents since I smoke alot of this nowadays. I must say it smokes very well in my Bo Nordh "Ramses" as well as my S. Bang and my Lars Ivarsson pipes. You see, since I insist on purchasing such expensive pipes, I must make up for it by smoking cheap tobacco and living in my van down by the river.

JUST KIDDING......but I do like this on occasion, especially when fishing or just out tramping in the woods. A good tobacco to wean cigarette smokers to the pipe with as well. Great in a cob.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and that was in a corn cob pipe. I don't really like it anymore, there is alot better burleys out there now!

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)

I would look down my nose at the people who smoked PA,CH,et. al. while I was micro-waving my mouth w/B&M aromatics before I learned how to smoke. Tried a pouch last year and was wondering what do people see in this. Mixed some with Paladin Black Cherry and found it agreeable. Finally got a tub & the rest is history. Plain no nonsense everyday,solace smoke. I find it's like your most comfortable pair of broken in jeans or tennis you can't wait to get into after work or for the weekend. This is one of my favorites and I smoke everything. This I would consider plain bottom floor burley before they start adding flavorings,CH,then experimenting with other flavorings and cut of leaf,Butternut and Classic Burley Kake, then adding other tobaccos for interest,Va. Gentleman, et al.After smoking all day and my mouth is tired I always smoke this to remind me of comfort and non-pretentiousness. Tastes and burns great dry or right out of the tub. I would suggest trying the tub. That opened up the flavor for me. I have two empty tubs and whenever I get down to 1/4 tub I get nervous and get another one. Briar, Meer or Cob, makes no difference which to me is the true test of a good tobacco. Love in the mornings on weekends w/tea,during the day,and night. take your time to develop maturationally (Funn Dictionary) to appreciate it. Use of pipe cleaners will eliminate the end of bowl bitterness many people complain about. One of the Classics!!

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

You have to smoke this at least once if you are a pipe smoker, especially an American pipe smoker. It is historic and not all that bad either. It has chemicals to help it burn well, chemical to keep it from drying out and sweetened to help the low grade tobbacos. And even after all that, it still is not a bad smoke. It is a no brainer, a bundle cigar, store brand cola, a car made in India. A problem with this cheap and easy to find "over the counter" brand is that; with all the new state and federal taxes thrown on to the cost, this tobacco costs as much as higher quality tobaccos. At Walgreens in Florida it costs more than Samuel Gawith tobaccos available at most tobacco shops. Also, since the Prince isn't in tins anymore; the old joke doesn't work anymore. You know it. "Do you have Prince Albert in a can"? The new answer would be; "no, but we do have it in Luxury pouches" What...huh...click. Damn.

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (18)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first opened the package, I thought it was cigarette tobacco, but I noticed a nice sweet coffee aroma. I packed it into a no name billard, and fired it up, and was pleasantly suprised. It is a very straightforward and consistant smoke that I got a little kick of nicotine from. Along with coffee flavoring, it has a nice nutty, sweet finish and the roomnote, while reminiscent of a good cigarette is pleasant to tolerable. Plus, I can get a pouch of this for $3.59, plus tax, at my local grocer. It's a great value and it fits right in with the rest of the cellar.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I didn't care much for the Prince beyond the typical chocolaty-burley pouch aroma. I found the smoke bitter and very much like cigarette ash. The room note was all cigarette and very disappointing. For a burley, I've had better and won't be re-visiting PA any time soon. Since there isn't a "Room Note" category for disagreeable, I was forced to rate it "Tolerable." It certainly wasn't "pipey" in my book. I know many find the Prince a pleasant smoke, so out of courtesy I gave it a "Somewhat Recommended" rating.

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I've been smoking this stuff off and on for 30 years. What I do enjoy about it is that I can be driving somewhere and get the urge for some PA. If I don't have some with me, the next gas station or drug store will. This tobacco is an old friend that I can depend on. I do not recollect any change in the formula in all these years. My pallate is a liberal one. With enjoyment of Latakia's to Burleys and things between. And knowing that PA is what it is, it has my loyalty and will continue to enjoy it.

As a nice discovery, I use this in a 3 to 1 ratio to mix with Virginia #1. Try it...

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Picked up a tub in the course of accumulating some drugstore brands out of curiosity. Easily lit, easily kept lit, easy to take flavor. Wife complained of the room note. It had a somewhat cigarrette-like room note. All in all, a good no trouble smoke. Handy for those days when you just want to sit back with a bowl full of something that doesn't make any demands. I like it.

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After many years of off and on pipe smoking I recently found this site and picked up the old Dr. Grabow and giving it a whorl again. I have never considered myself a pipe tobacco expert nor have I ever really gotten much flavor out of smoking a pipe although I have always wanted to enjoy it as others do and have on this site. Why I keep coming back to it as I do. I do find the Prince to be a pretty good smoke. A little bitey if pulled on to hard but all in all not bad. The room note is not over whelming to others as are some tobaccos that I've tried in the past. And of course it is sometimes hard for Yourself to tell so You might have to ask others who might be around You when You smoke it. Update: I have gotten better at discerning pipe tobacco over the past couple of months as I've stayed with it this time and not put it away as I have in the past. PA is what it is. I'm not saying its a bad thing. It is just what it is. It is a cheap smoke which You can find just about anywhere. It serves its purpose when Your in a pinch and I do keep it here in the news & traffic center for a quick smoke when I'm hurried.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I hate to do this to a blend, but Prince Albert just didn't sit well with me. I found it to be bland for the most part, and when it did have taste, it tasted like burning peanuts. I still prefer Captain Black as the best drug store blend and I would not recommend Prince Albert to any beginning smoker, as it would put them off the hobby.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Thanks to Clarkus that has given me this excellent tobacco. I'm pleasantly impressed by this classic: PA is a mild and no complex Burley with an uncontrived aroma of chocolate, a gentle nutty flavor and a subtle and very pleasant woodiness never harsh nor tannic. It's easy to fill, smoke smooth and enough cool, it doesn't bites the tongue and leaves only dry ash and a pleasant room note.

For Middleton folks: dear Sirs, I know that PA was available here in Italy up to the sixties, why not again?

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It definitly took me more than one bowl to love this. I am not sure if it was letting it sit up for a few weeks, but I am smoking a bowl of it now and it is wonderful. It gives me a wave of nostalgia of a time that I did not even experience. I spilled the whole damn pouch on my lap though, so I have to buy more.

I am comforted to know that if the 775% tax increase goes through, PA will probably be a reliable source for when we have to spend a weeks pay on tobacco.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Not sure how any burley lover could give less than 3 stars to PA. That said, I have found a very marked difference when smoked in a cob and so it is from this perspective that I assign 3 stars.

I cannot really place to fine a point on this. PA provides one of the best burley flavors I have tasted .... in a cob. Though other burleys do tend to taste better in a cob ... PA and Granger really transform into a better tasting tobacco ... in a cob.

Did I mention the cob? Yes, I believe I did. Smoke it in a cob.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I had been gifted this tobacco recently and had never tried it before. I don't think I will be going back to try it again. When opening the package it smelled and looked a LOT like Bugler roll your own ciggy tobacco...which if I am stuck rolling a cig is a real step up from Top, but not as good as Drum....but I digress. It wasn't goopy, or wet and had a nice clean feel. I drizzled the short shag cut into a brand new Savinelli and it packed quite nicely. The thought of putting it in a brand new pipe was to start breaking it in with an innocuous burley to get a good foundation on a cake for future VA flake use. This didn't happen. I got as far as the charring light, tamp, and relight when I realized what I might be doing. This stuff gave off a horrible soap and "granny flowers" stink which I recognized on the spot. This was the stink I have been working to get out of some estate pipes for YEARS. Here I was with a brand new pipe, and I was about to inflict this horrid floral perfume upon it. I immediately upended the pipe and dumped the contents. This tobacco will NOT be touching any briar pipe in my rack....EVER. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come off as a snob, but this was among the worst thing I have ever put in a pipe. I was going to give Half & Half as well as Grainger and some other American classics a try, but now I am not so sure..........

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A dependable burley that took me a couple of pouched to appreciate. I understand why so many people like this blend. It has been around so long for a few reasons. Dependability, price, access, and no fuss ect.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

There was a time in my life when I was to "good" (perhaps the word should be "arrogant") to ever let PA touch one of my pipes. My father-in-law, whose funeral I am attending this weekend - he was 90, and who I wish I could share this with, smoked PA and I always rolled my eyes about his taste in tobaccos. Often I sent him boutique blends so he could see what he was missing. Youth has a way of making an ass out of one.

Then I read a review of PA in Cigar Magazine that gave it high marks for an old old Burley brand. I saw a tin at our local BX for $15.00 and thought it was time to give it a true testing. I must preface this review by saying I like Burley and Burley blends when I want a change from VA flakes - my normal 'go to' tobaks. I enjoy Edgeworth, G.L. Pease Burley and Hearth and Home Burley Kake. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the Prince.

Relegated to #4 size GBDs and an old Charatan blasted bulldog lovat (a 'go to' for Burley blends) I found the smoke was not harsh and filled with annoying traits. It held 'no surprises' from a Burley stand point. It was earthy and nutty in taste and aroma. It burned well, was not harsh, and did not bite my tongue or coat my palate. In the tin, the tobacco is a crimp cut, and was not filled with dust and stems. It has a top dressing, as most Burleys do, but I did not find it objectionable nor could I tell what it is. I am giving this three stars because true to so many Burley/Burley based blends PA grew somewhat strong and bitter towards the bottom of the bowl.

Balancing everything, PA is a great smoke, especially for Fall and the change of seasons. The price is right, especially for this classic American icon. And if it was good enough for my father-in-law, a veteran of World War II and the Army Air Corp, I am glad to say it is good enough for me.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Along with Half & Half, which I like slightly better, the best of the codger burlies for me. When I am in the mood, hits the spot. I never smoke it in anything but a cob. It could never replace my Virginia flakes, but if I could only get to a drugstore...but still, this is good quality burley at a good honest price. I realize I haven't said anything new in this review, but why not tack one more up for this true classic?

1-24-11 Nothing bad to say about the Prince. Just like the artist...the artist known as...the artist formerly known as..the artist formerly known as the artist known as...oh, blow it, Prince! Yes, that's my analogy! Prince has talent, has been around a long time (translation: from the early 80s) and is not really my cup of tea to listen to all the time, though some people revere him! I have to recognize his singing and songwriting ability, however. Where my analogy fails is that Prince Albert tobacco has been around a lot longer than Prince, and people are still smoking it. Not too bad. Half & Half and Carter Hall are good too. Codger burlies that will still be produced (BRANDED!) when Prince is a codger.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

I don't know why I waited 40 years to try this but it is a favorite now. I prefer burley over all other tobaccos and this is a burley that hasn't been messed around a lot with. I smoke it often and don't get tired of it. The same with another Middleton product, Walnut. Just pretend it costs more and enjoy it.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I'm not in love with this tobacco I'll prolly always have some old dried out PA on the shelf forever. It's a little too "ciggy" flavored for me. Tends to give a harsh bite to the back of the throat. Some like that sting to the back of the throat but I don't care for it. But I gotta admit, after about 7 or 8 beers a gnarly bowl of the Prince does have a certain appeal to me. I like it in my clay pipe. Ouch! watch the fingers, don't get burnt drunk boy!

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Added 12/15/09 - I'm downgrading this to 2 stars, just can't see giving it anything more when there are better buleys out there that aren't treated with proplyene glycol to keep them moist.

Original: Price Albert is the King of all drugstore blends. Whenever my grandfather smoked a pipe it was PA or Edgeworth. There's not much I can add to something that has been reviewed so much except give it a shot, you won't be dissapointed. Also a note on the "Cigarette" smell some have reported. Have you ever seen a vintage tin of PA? On the tin it says "Long burning pipe and cigarette tobacco". Yes back in the days of RYO cigarettes PA was also used for rolling a stick. I have tried this and it's not bad, the smoothest smoke you'll find and it sure beats the heck out of the machine made crap chemical soup that goes into store bought cigarettes these days.

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good smoke, plain but just that kind of smoke you can have all day long. Got kicked our of the house immediately by the wife, but that was expected. By the way having read many of our fellow pipe smokers comment that there's a note of cigarette, so i ask the wife how she liked the smell of my new tobacco and her response was Marlboro red pack (i didn't detect it so still don't care). The room note might smell like cigarette but let me tell you that the taste is no were near that. Had to relight half the time that with captain black white.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I decided to pick up the pouch version of this recently from Wal-Mart. Not sure how long Wally World keeps their tobacco on the shelf, but this is the second brand I purchased from there that was on the dried out side. Even as such, I can see that this is a good steady tobacco with lots of smoke produced along with a very nice taste to it. I can see why this venerable blend is in the hall of fame. If you are looking for something fancy or with frills, then this is not for you. This is probably the least amount I have ever spent on a pouch of tobacco. My next purchase of this will be online to see what difference there is in the moisture content. Definitely worth the nominal fee for the experiment.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

RELIABLE! PA is smooth, nutty, not complex, no bite, just good straight forward burley flavor at a great price. At times I question why I knock my brains out searching for that "holy grail" blend when PA is consistantly satisfying and available anywhere. My father once told me that there are two types of pipe tobacco, good and bad, and PA is very good. So, keep it simple, enjoy the experience, and don't become preoccupied with finding the "perfect" tobacco blend. PA and Mixture 965 (now Altadis 965 match until Dunhill returns) cover my needs! ENJOY

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

I gave this one 4 stars, and with good reason. It's a very smooth Burley, no bite to speak of, and has a really great taste. I've always liked Carter Hall, but CH is definitely sweeter. This stuff just seems to be a straight forward Burley. If it has a casing, it isn't much to speak of. This is the first time I've smoked this blend, and I have been enjoying it immensely. I'd like to see if the tub's flavor is different from the pouch I bought? Nothing goopy, just a fine grey ash. No re-lights either. Maybe our Grandpa's knew a good thing after all!

Here's an update for ya. I bought some G.L. Pease Odyssey and didn't care for the Latakia overkill. But add a pinch to some P.A. and you get a very satisfying smoke

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Price Albert does not pretend to be anything but a nice smoking pipe tobacco, and it is. It is not Gourmet English, Larry's Blend, or Virginia Flake, but it packs well smokes well and taste good. I did not find any bite. To paraphrase one reviewer, PA does not take a lot of concentration. It is a pleasant smoke. If one considers the price it is a great blend. I do indeed remember the pocket tins, they were, I think, better for rolling your own than packing a pipe!

UPDATE: It seems to taste better in the 14oz tub.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The best way to smoke Prince Albert is DRY. Allow it to dry out completely. Smoke it in a corncob. nutty and satisfying flavor.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Wanted to find a go-to drugstore blend for those times when I'm stuck in No-where-land and there's nothing in sight but a gas station and a Walgreens. Prince Albert just seems too one-dimensional and not as flavorful as Carter Hall, so only two stars.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Yes, I too like to stuff my old beat-up pipes with the good Prince and puff away like a freight train until i'm in nicotene heaven. However, i don't consider this pipe tobacco. When did R.J.Reynolds ever make a pipe tobacco? Have you checked the tin lately, it reads "Somking Tobacco" and what is "crimp cut". Look inside a cigarette.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good grade straight quality burley. One of the few that can be satifying straight and excellent as a base for mixing your own burley blend as well. I've enjoyed this both ways for years.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Update A couple of years ago I left a pouch of PA out, during the winter with low indoor humidity, for a week. It never really dried out (as others have noted). Now for the first time since I've been smoking the stuff (at least 30 yrs) I got a tub and after leaving the lid off a bit it actually is dry to the touch. It smokes MUCH better that way. Flavor is enhanced. Smokes slower. The bitter finish is much reduced. Yeah it's a simpler flavor but very satisfying. Reliable and comfortable as an old pair of slippers. And for the first time my SO asked, without prompting, "What was that stuff you were smoking this morning. It smelled good!" I'm bumping this up a star. Previous review follows:

I first smoked this blend in college, a long time ago. All of my dorm mates were from small farming communities in the midwest and nearly everyone I knew then who smoked a pipe had a pouch or tin of this around. Many of them had grandfathers and fathers who also smoked it.

Off and on I've smoked this over the years. And just recently I picked up a pouch at the grocery store to break in my new McArthur cob. I filled the "bowl" up to the brim without any tamping, and just light it up. This is a simple, no frills burley. For the life of me I can't find any topping, just a tobacco smell both in the pouch and when lit. It's not quite as smooth and a little plainer than Kentucky Club. It can smoke a little hot and I've learned to take care with it. When I want something basic for those times when I'm busy puttering, this ain't bad at all. It does take me back to a simpler time.

I had a partner who smoked this exclusively and I can say that the room note is that of the old fashioned burleys, pleasant and inoffensive. One of the better grocery store blends. For lovers of simple burley, this is a must try. And you can't beat the price.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As a number of pipers stated, get the tub. Tastes better than the pouch version. I found the nutty, creamy taste works well in a 13/16" - 7/8" bore chamber. Also, I like it best when sipped slowly in a pipe that has only been used for VA's or mild burley blends. Solid three stars

8/09 update. I'm really enjoying this blend, imho a fine burley taste. Like most tobacco's, fresh taste buds & dedicated pipe a plus

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to admit this is not really bad. I had tried this in the past and really did not care for it, in fact I was opposed to it being allowed into the hall of fame. Recently I decided to give it another shot.

This time around I found the tobacco to be much better, but I did buy the 14oz tub as I've heard they are somehow better. I also have a few thousand bowls of many other blends under my belt since I last tried PA. Don't get me wrong PA will never replace my GL Pease tins for the most part but it will do fine as a fill in blend for a workday smoke. Or when I want something simple

I find the tin aroma to be of apples and maybe a hint of chocolate.

The tobacco itself is not particularly high quality but I have honestly smoked worse that cost quite a bit more.

As far as the smoking goes it was pretty smooth and a bit buttery/creamy tasting. I think this is great with a cup of coffee. As long as you don't rush it there is no bite, although there is a hint of bitterness through the second half of a bowl.

One major point, I can't say there is no PG in this but it is fairly dry in the tub and leaves the pipe dry and burns all the way to the bottom leaving the pipe clean. So if it contains PG, it is very minimal.

I won't be smoking this exclusively by any means but it is nice to have some on hand. Considering I paid less than $14 for a tub I would consider it a good value.

I do regret any negative statements I may have made about PA prior to now. However I do agree with others that you can get a better or worse batch of this. Overall it is smokable, affordable, and obtainable. Therefore I will assign it three stars. It is one of the very few burley blends I can tollerate.

With the way our economy is these days it's nice to know something decent is out there for an affordable price.

Update: Two stars, I can smoke it but it does grow boring rather quickly. It does hit the spot once and a while but I'm neutral on this one. I think it leaves it's character in the pipe a bit too strongly for me. Considering the price, it's not the worst out there.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)

I think as far as run of the mill burleys are concered this is one of the best.I honestly prefer smoking H&H but i like the crimp cut PA has better. One of these things you always have to have on hand, a great all day smoke.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful basic crimp cut burley. Smokes cool without bite. Others have praised it often and better than me, but wanted to register my ** for this much deserved first winner of ?hall of fame? status. It will tell you how long this has been a regular in my rotation when I admit that when I first started smoking this I purchased it in 1.5 oz. ?pocket tins? anyone remember those??

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm upgrading this a star. It's proven to be the most reliable smoke I've ever placed in my pipe. It's my go to blend, all day blend and blend I like when I don't know what I want.

Original Review 2/10/09: This is my first review on here and I don't know if there's a lot I can add to PA but I will do my best. As a pipe smoker with not a whole lot of years under my belt I find it amusing that many of us tend to come back to the favorites of days past. We all look for reliability in some sense whether it's cars, women, friends and even pipe tobacco. PA is just that, reliable. It's an honest reliable smoke that is simple to light, simple to smoke and forgiving if your thoughts push you into puffing harder or softer than normal. I admit my bias since I tend to smoke mostly virginias and VAPERs but as of late the nutty burley in PA has a certain allure that brings me back again and again.

Is it mind blowing? No, but when you look for a reliable smoke then you're not looking for mind blowing. You're looking for comfort in what you know will be waiting for you when you strike that first, and usually only, match.

I got the "Luxury Pouch" at Wal Mart for $2.27. From the pouch I could almost detect what seemed like a faint apple topping. Others have mentioned chocolate and I wouldn't deny that based on their own senses. Upon lighting I was greeted with that familiar nutty taste that I'm quickly growing fond of in burley. My only regret is that is seems to burn much quicker than I am used to but this is based upon smoking a lot of flakes which burn VERY slowly. My pipe got a little warm but nothing I would be worried about. Based on all this I give it a solid 3 stars for being a decent smoke with a VERY decent price.

Our smoking forefathers were no idiots. I think we should take note of their wisdom and never write off "codger burleys."

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert, what can I say? Just smoked a bowl of this from a half pouch I probably opened three months ago. I still have trouble believing that I get this stuff for $2.45 a pouch. Creamy and nutty, with a light topdressing that in no way detracts from the burley flavor. Decent nicotine. Burns well. No distinct change even after 6 months in open package.

I like this better than Granger these days.

This is the real deal, no nonsense american tobacco and must be appreciated as such.

And of course, I always wind up snickering at the "Well, let him out" joke...

(Prince albert in a can...)

UPDATE 1/15/09; The heavyish PG thing gets old after a while, and I'm finding that I want to smoke this less than some of the other burleys these days. Despite what people say, this DOES leave briar pipes "Princed" after smoking a quantity of this (several dozen bowls)--not offensive as with some aromatics, but it definately lingers for a while in the wood/cake, especially if you don't give the pipe an ample rest for drying out.

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A 100% Burley, plain, straight with light touch of top flavoring and casing, simple and extremely easy to pack and smoke. Nutty taste, perfect for happy morning smoke with cup of hot cappuccino. Easy going and Enjoyable smoke in your favorite pipe without complication .

As for the tobacco leaf, Mac baren burley London blend and golden blend seems to be better quality tobacco with better leaf selection and presentation, but they are not better in the smoking quality, taste or flavor, they are just different.

Prince Albert is the best and only. true, straight, natural and neutral burley out there. I smoke this everyday with my morning coffee. Delicious!

earlr1957 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earlr1957 (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

My Great Uncle smoked this over 50 years ago. I used to Love to see him and smell as he was smoking it, and open up his can and smell the aroma. He was the one he got me into pipe smoking. I will always remember him when I smoke this Blend.

Burns straight down to an gray ash, easy to light and stay lit. Lite up and go back in time for a spell.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

PA is an excellent drugstore blend, with little tongue bite and chemical flavor compared to most of its kind. There is a subtle coffee taste over the traditional burley and, unlike other drugstore tobaccos, airing out a while before loading the pipe actually makes a difference.

No quality here, but a good choice for those in a budget or willing to try classical tobaccos.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)

I took a pouch of this to a recent pipe club meeting. Several people filled up and commented on how much they enjoyed the tobacco. In my 27 years of smoking a pipe I'd never tried Prince Albert; I'd always turned my nose up at this pedestrian drugstore blend. There is no complexity here, just good burley taste and no bite.

It's easy to see why Prince Albert has been around for so long.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)

To enjoy Prince Albert is to have a proper perspective. First of all, let me say that my dad doesn't smoke this. My Grandfather didn't smoke and I have no way of knowing what my Great Grandfathers did. however, I am a fan of a lot of things nostalgic like Old Time Radio. I also love this computer age we are in. I feel that this qualifies me to speak on the Prince with very little bias. I tried this blend when I was 18 and hated it. It has been 20 years and I now love it. This is a pure Burley tobacco. Black Cavendish smokers and English smokers must understand that. I am more of a Black Cavendish smoker and I had to come to grips with the above. I mean, when one smokes stuff that is heavily cased, natural tobacco can be hard to take. And, coming from the other direction, an English smoker probably finds the blend to be too simple. Prince Albert is a great all day smoke. It doesn't take all day to finish a bowl and you get a pretty good nicotine charge. The aroma does have a hint of chocolate, but don't think that this is a chocolate blend. It is simple Burley at it's best. The best way to smoke the Prince is in a cob. Most cobs hold just enough for a good smoke. I know that there are many on this site with $300.00 pipes and $50.00 per pound tobacco that will not understand this kind of thing. This tobacco is for the working man and a cob or a small faithful brier that has been propperly seasoned with the little man in the red pouch. There are many other Burley tobaccos that are much higher in price, but the Prince can still stand toe to toe with any of them. I am simply a guy who happened on this brand and I love it. I can understand the passion that one finds on this review page. I have no nostalgia for it. I just love the taste and the honest aroma that seems to speak of simple pleasure rather than bloated complexity. While we're on the subject, some have said that the aroma is like a cigarette. The aroma is nutty and tobacco-filled. Stand next to someone smoking a Marlboro and stand next to a guy with a little Prince in the bowl and you'll not make that same mistake. In short, load up and smoke. You, too, will be a believer and reach for this time and time again. 11/24/08 Well, I finally got myself an actual tub of the Prince. The first thing to note is the lack of topping when you open it. The aroma is of natural Burley. The cut is the same and the moisture level is a bit higher than the pouch. The odd thing is that the tobacco seems to burn a little faster than the pouch, as well. The taste is darker than the pouch and more full of Burley goodness. This is definitely an afternoon smoke while the pouch form is more for the morning. I will definitely buy this one again. I have also been trying a number of Tobacco store Burleys and the tub, for sure, stands toe to toe with any of them. In fact, when price is factored in, Prince Albert in the tub can vanquish most of it's foes. Buy it! Try it! You'll love it!

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

05/23/2008 With over 100 reviews of Prince Albert to date, add my vote to the chorus of recommendations. Nothing in life gets much better than the morning paper, a cup of coffee, and a bowl of P.A.

It has a great, uncomplicated tobacco flavor with a nut-like character and minimal sweetness. It develops a pleasant, very gentle salinity that keeps me coming back for more. It burns cleanly to the bottom of the bowl every time, leaving only dry gray ash ...and a craving for just one more puff.

11/17/2008 FYI: I stumbled upon this tidbit of information and thought you'd like to know...

According to tobacco.org's "Tobacco Timeline -- NOTES" author Gene Borio states, in a news item dated 1913, that Prince Albert is a blend of 3 tobaccos: Piedmont Bright, a flavored and sweetened Burley from Kentucky, and 10% Turkish leaf.

Things may have changed since 1913, but I doubt it.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)

After its recent induction into the hall of fame, I could not resist buying up a tub of this stuff, along with a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe at the drug store. There was an elderly man in line behind me from the deep south who commented favorably on my purchase, and then decided to buy a tub of his own: he had a pretty trustworthy face so I figured I was in for a treat, but with a bit of trepidation: twenty bucks for a pound of tobacco and a pipe? I fired it up out behind my workplace and I must admit I now understand why this made the hall of fame. Great taste, great burn, medium strength...yum! The pipe was a little harsh as it is brand new and I could taste burning wood towards the bottom, but what the hell, it cost me like a buck...highly recommended, only I'll have to see if this pipe breaks in a bit better before recommending it.

Croaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Croaker (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert comes in either a pouch-in-box or plastic tub. It?s a mild flavored burley tobacco with a sweet topping that seems to effect the smell and add very little to the taste.

Prince Albert has the best burning characteristics of any pipe tobacco that I have smoked. Once lit the tobacco burns without attention and scarcely any puffing. It always reduces to a fine white ash and has never bit my tongue. I suspect that it?s imposable to have this bite ones tongue.

Prince Albert has the nut-type flavor associated with straight burley tobaccos. As I mentioned earlier there is a sweet sugar-water type toping. This topping is not nearly strong enough to compare Prince Albert to an aromatic tobacco. It can get a little sour if puffed really hard; however, I often produce billowing clouds of tobacco smoke without negative effect.

I rolled a cigarette on a hunch. As an occasional cigarette smoker I can write it actually tastes better than many roll-your-own tobacco blends.

I read this family of straight burleys referred to as ?codger burleys,? or the non-pejorative ?American? style. I thought they were too cheep ? or hideous like Captain Black ? and didn?t try them for years. Well, I was wrong. These tobaccos are quite good even if they are mild. Of the ones I?ve tried, Prince Albert is the best. I keep this tobacco around, and smoke it in giant-bowled pipes while watching a movie or playing a video game.

For most of the folks that might read this review, I can?t think of a tobacco I would recommend you try more than Prince Albert. This tobacco is neither sweetly, nor exotically, flavored. It is straight-forward, simple, and very, very inexpensive. Add a pouch to your next internet or tobacco store basket; I all but guarantee you won?t hate it, you might like it, and you won?t spend more than $1.50 an ounce!

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My only concern is that I not sell this wonderfully classic tobacco short in my review. I've smoked a pipe only a few years, and have run the usual gamut of recommendations, typically involving bitey aromatics or Englishes that are just too powerful for a novice. Thank heaven I made it to the Prince!

Along with companion brand Carter Hall, this was where I truly settled into enjoying my daily pipe. This stuff is trouble-free, with rich burley flavor, no-nonsense packing, big creamy plumes of smoke, and no bite issues at all. The taste is,I suppose, enhanced by some kind of light topping, but the flavor is just the tobacco without anything else in the way. The sort of chopped-up ribbon cut gravity-fills nicely, and a bowlful of this is usually a one-match affair. I only wish it still came in the metal "pocket tins," a nice one of which I acquired at a yard sale (it cleaned up beautifully, and stands displayed by my pipe rack). The wisdom seems to be that the tubs are better than the pouches, but I've only had the 1.5 oz. pouch. Hard to imagine it getting much better. Long live Prince Albert. With other brands going by the wayside, may this always be available.

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Picked up the pouch version for a cool $1.85. Opened it up and was greeting with a chewing-tobacco aroma. Loaded it up in a cob and fired away.

The good: Cheap, no-fuss smoking. Almost no relights. Burns completely with little moisture left in the bowl. I don't know what is "luxury" about the luxury pouch, but it's damn useful and puts to shame most tins and especially the bags with the worthless one piece of tape that gets covered in baccy.

The bad: Harsh on my throat. Burley and me do not seem to get along. My empty pipe stank up everything as if I'd left a cheap cigar-butt in a car's ash tray overnight. I have not tried many drugstore brands, but I can say with reasonable certainty that if you put this in a fancy tin and charged $15 bucks for it, I would say the same thing.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Some people on this board claim that this is cigarette tobacco, to those people I ask: have you ever smoked a cigarette? While it may be true that you could probably roll some pretty nice cigarettes out of this stuff (I haven't tried) this is definetely not as harsh.

The blend is very pleasant and it has the right amount of flavor and nicotine. There is definetely some kind of casing but it is very very mild (almost undetectable) and all it does is bring out the tobacco flavor.

Another plus is that it is readily available; I don't have to order it online and wait days to have it delivered, I can simply run to the store and get a 14oz. tub for 20 bucks.

There was one reviewer here who said that if this blend was 10 bucks per oz. it would have a much better audience and I will have to agree. I think there are just too many people who bash it simply because it is cheaper than other blends and sold at grocery stores.

I highly recommend that you at least try a pouch. If some of the bad reviews make you wanna stay away from PA think about this: how many people do you know that smoke this stuff and only this stuff? how long has it been around? would it be around for this long (and everywhere) if it was as bad as some people make it sound?

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Prince Albert is a classic drug-store blend. When examining the package, I think about the days of yore when you could smoke a pipe anywhere you pleased. Oh well, at least I still have the Prince to keep me company.

The cut of this tobacco is a thin crimp cut. Like all tobaccos designed for the pipe and RYO formats, it is a bit thinner than I'd like, but it does make for easy burning. The aroma in the pouch is earthy and of pure tobacco. No noticeable top note here. This tobacco is about as easy to pack as it gets, one match and YOUR OFF!

Unlike Half and Half and Carter Hall, Prince Albert isn't sweet. Where I find most drug-store tobaccos to be cloying and want to dump the bowl, Prince Albert is nutty and robust. It goes excellent with the morning coffee and has no bite. This is just a good, honest, no nonsense burley here. Occasionally, as it heats up it will become a bit bitter, but a couple of seconds without puffing cools it back down. The smoke is creamy and pleasant, with a nutty-sweet taste that reminds me of a fuller, smoother Chesterfield cigarette. Rather delicious, but giving you plenty of room to do other things besides focus on the tobacco.

The room note is pleasant enough, an unoffensive musty tobacco odor. Nice and mild for all day, especially while working on the honey-do list.

This isn't a four-star premium tobacco and doesn't claim to me. It is an old-fashioned burley that is a great companion throughout the day. I plan on keeping this around for my first smoke with a cup of coffee, as well as my excursions out to the lake to catch fish. Better than Carter Hall in every way.

3 stars for a classic American Burley blend.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have purchased maybe countless pouches of this over the years. It holds certain promises: economical, readily available, simple. I can't honestly say that I have finished a single pouch. I'm sure it is fine for some; for me it just doesn't work.

UPDATE:

Well I'm here to eat some crow regarding this blend (something that I am becoming more and more familiar with). This is just plain burley and is really quite enjoyable if puffed moderately. Sometimes I get more enjoyment and relaxation by NOT expecting complexity and worrying about technique. PA is the same all the time.....it tastes the same bowl to bowl....and it delivers exactly what it promises.....a cool, uncomplicated smoke. If you think that this is something you could appreciate; this might be your ticket..

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)

They don't call him the Price for nothing. I like aromatics a lot, but PA is anything but that. This is mild relaxing tobacco. I had smoked many a homemade cigarette in my youth that was 75% PA and 25% Bull Duram. Rolled and smoked 50 a week at least for years. I quit smoking cigarettes or anything else thirty-five years and two wives ago so I forgot all about the Prince. In the last few years have begun enjoying the luxury of smoking a pipe. I finally got around to shaking hands with the Prince again after trying many of the expensive tins and boutique blends. I like a lot of those high dollar tins and boutique blends and will buy and smoke a bunch more, but I really have been relishing my winter evenings in the kingdom of the Prince. This is honest tobacco than doesn't choke you nor tease the palate with subtle flavors. It just tastes good, end of story. I will always keep a tub of the Prince on hand and am looking for just the right pipe to smoke it in. This has been so pleasant I now have Carter Hall in the sights. Dare I hope for two simple basic pleasures? There are those days when the simplest is simply the best. It's good to know that when I'm old and gray and my children have weasled all their in-heritage money out of me I will still have couch change for a satisfying smoke. Four Stars.

"Gentlemen, you may smoke..." Boy will you ever if you fire up Prince Albert! You will get huge, billowing clouds of grey smoke. Perfect for blowing beautiful smoke rings.

The flavor is mild, slightly nutty,grassy with hints of rye toast coming through. I get no sweetness out of this. Just plain, honest tobacco flavor. The room note is just as plain as the taste.

You have to pack this properly. If you give it too much room to roam, it will burn hot and turn acrid and bitter. Sipped slowly, it will give a satisfying smoke.

This has some humectant in it, but certainly not enough to gunk up a pipe. This is a decent mixer, and great for burning out aromatic residues. I have blended it with Carter Hall, and Rum & Maple with good results.

Very masculine and straight forward, this has been the go to blend blend for legions of hard working, American men for decades.

It has been around for over a century, and it will probably be with us long after many boutique blends disappear into oblivion...

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Well this certainly has had its share of reveiws but I had to put my two cents in.

When I first started smoking a pipe the OTC blends is the only ones i knew of. When I found out that you could get expensive quality blends I tried some. WOW I loved them! they were so different and expensive. Like fine wine. After I got some rounded experience built up (VApers, Latakia, Perique, ect...) I decided I would try my palate on some of the OTC blends again.

The Prince is what I went back to first. I got a plastic tub of it and upon opening it, it reminded me of a Herseys bar. Although I didn't notice chocolate in the taste it sure smelled like it in the tub (could it be??)

It packed nice and it smelled great on the char light.

It started off very nice and smooth (I always smoke slow). It didn't bite at all and it was very mild although it was very simple in taste (Burley).

As I got around half way through I really started to enjoy the straight burley taste. It wasn't anymore complex but damn for such a cheap tobacco it was really smooth and cool.

At the end of the bowl I needed to repack some more because I was so amazed at the taste and smoothness that I found with PA when I had run into such harsh blends for three times the money.

SUMMARY: The taste is far from complex but it is a very smooth and straight forward tobacco. I found that the tub is much fresher than the pouch, and fresh is the way to go with this since it doesn't age well (as noted by others). It is a GREAT mix for other more complex blends that fall short on smoothness. It's blendabilty, value, and taste make this a 3 out of 4 stars even though it's not complex.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the summer blend of a family friend in whom I found many good qualities. It was a blend I could always count on in my early pipe smoking days. It was inexpensive and readily available at the drug or grocery store. It had a nut-like flavor that was pretty decent. I did not have a wife at the time, but the room note was not one to drive people to the nearest Army/Navy store to check on their supply of gas masks. My tastes run more to Balkans or Scottish blends these days, but I felt duty-bound to give this blend the respect it is due. Two stars for this one -simply because burleies are not my cup of tea.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)

I think this is one of the better "drug store" blends. But other burley blends are available which clearly surpass this old standard.

The fruit casing is a negative for me. I enjoy natural tobacco, and this casing just gets in the way.

Want a better burley? Try Affordable Pipes' ... "Old Fashioned", "Guy's Favorite", and "Bluegrass Melody." They lack the fruity coating and are excellent as well as reasonably priced. Other suggestions would include MacBaren's "Golden Extra", "Burley London", and "Symphony" (but puff the MacBaren tobaks very slowly, lest your tongue get bitten).

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Old review04/26/2005 ____________________________________________________________ Well this here PA is pretty good stuff, Its just plain ole, slightly sweet tasting, Burley, that wont stink up any of your briars.

It wont cook your tongue if you smoke alot in a day, and on occasion, I do just that.

I buy it in a 14 ounce tub, and pay $19.50 at a local store, that = about $1.40 an ounce, and to tell the truth. I believe it is way underpriced, compared to some "high end" tobacco's that Ive paid 3 times as much for, and enjoyed half as much.

I may not smoke this stuff for a week, than spend a day smoking nothing else

One thing is sure, I will always have some around. Our old Grandads were no fools, this has been around for generations and theres good reason. ________________________________________________________________ 8/5/07 Ive edited my review only to give this wonderful tobacco another star.This is one I never get tired of.I have many tobaccos in the cellar, but only a couple get the bowl time that the Prince gets.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Update 4/17/2007 - This stuff is like moss on a rock in a rain forest: it really grows on you??..and fast! I must upgrade ?Prince Al? with four stars. PA is great by itself but I have also found it an ideal blend with which to cut other, stronger, predominantly burley blends that sometimes have a tendency to grow a little sharp and bitter in the latter third of the smoke. I have added anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 PA to some of these ?offending? blends and it really ?smoothes thing out? and makes for a super great smoke!

And I would be remiss if I did not, once again, extol the outstanding burning qualities of PA. They are, in my opinion, the best, BY FAR, of any tobacco I have smoked! In other reviews at this site regarding the classic drug store and OTC blends, a few reviewers have alluded to the good burning qualities of some of these classic tobaccos making the claim they must contain an ?accelerant.? Who knows for sure but there is something at work here. To wit, I was smoking in my man cave over the weekend when the ?warden,? from the top of the stairs, yelled down wanting my help in rehanging some newly cleaned drapes in our bedroom. At the time, I was smoking one of these ?PA cut? blends. I put my pipe in a rest and when I came back 5 minutes later, there was still a ?fire in the hole? and it was a good one. My first ?repuff? was magical and delightful! PA is quite inexpensive to boot! Most Walmart stores carry the 14 ounce tubs for $17-$18 and this roughly equates to $1.25 an ounce. The real Prince Albert had a premature death in 1861 at the age of 42 but we can be thankful that ?his? tobacco lives on.

10/19/2005 - This blend always reminds me of the childhood prank of an earlier generation when some kid would phone the local drugstore and ask, ?Do you have Prince Albert in a can?? The response (in those days) was inevitably ?Yes, we do? at which point the kid would say ?Then let him out before he suffocates!? (or something along these lines) and hang up. Although PA no longer comes in a can (slender tin) nor is it available at most drug stores, I was pleasantly surprised by ?the Prince? in the pouch.

This is a nice, mild smoke with the classic nutty / grassy burley taste. No frills here. I do believe it is ever so lightly topped or lightly cased with something I can?t identify but it seems to enhance the flavor. It burns cool with no bite and, as others have pointed out, it has excellent burning qualities. This is a good smoke available at a not so ?princely? sum.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.85 out of 10.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

There is a reason this blend has been around for so long..... IT'S GOOD! This is an all-around good smoke, it is not meant to be some high-falootin' upper-calss brandy drinking smoke. It is an everyman smoke. If you are a tobacco snob, leave my friend the Prince alone, and go pay an exponetially higher amount of money for a burley that (if you're lucky) will be as good an all around tobacco as the Prince.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

You have to take PA for what it is, a quintessential American old-fashioned "my grandpa smoked it" inexpensive burley blend. I find it to be a nice filler for those times when I just want an outdoor smoke with no strong flavoring, just a tobacco taste. For me, it tended not to burn too hot nor did it bite much, unlike a virginia. On the same token, it's not all that great when you consider some of the newer, more flavorful blends by the true tobacconists.

I think this is one everybody should have in his or her rotation, as a good cheap standby. I don't think I'd want it full time by any means, but it has it's place.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

For those of us who enjoy unadulterated burlies for "all day" smokes, this is a perfect blend. For the many smokers who dislike burlies, however, this experience is probably reminiscent of a trip through Dante's "Inferno." I go back and forth between PA and Carter Hall on a regular basis. The main difference seems to be: PA bites more than CH, but it's also more flavorful. I've never understood those who claim that burley has little or no taste -- it has a very distinctive flavor to me, although I readily concede that it's a very neutral flavor (absolutely no sweetness here, which is why it blends wonderfully with VAs). It usually doesn't take more than a single light to get a bowl of PA going, but it also burns VERY fast. Smoke this is as slowly as you can (its burning qualities might make this challenging), and you'll be rewarded with a very pleasant experience. My dad smoked this regularly, as did most of the guys who smoked pipes when I was growing up, and despite having gone through about a zillion tins of "premium" tobaccos, I always end up falling back on PA or CH, although I prefer the latter by a nose.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)

ring,ring , Hello, Do you have Prince Albert in a can?, Yes we do. Then you better let him etc. etc. remnember when? This blend brings back Memories of my Father it was his only blend. I always have some on hand and smoke a coupla bowls a week. It is available any where you look. Clouds of smoke not hard on the nose of others easy on the tongue. smoke it slooow. If you haven't tried this blend, where have you been? try it if you like burley . I like it

Toe Bacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toe Bacco (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

If Prince Albert was alive and talking, I would not be friends with him. Just like the real Prince Albert, this tobacco was uncouth, uncomely, and filled the air with bog like musk. (Just like the real guy.)

My first impressions of this manila folder strands was pizza box. That's right...pizza box. I kid you not, wink wink. There was a little bit of good flavor, of course when eating pizza boxes there is the good bit of cheese and sauce fossilized into the corrugation. So, in that sense, I might add, smoking the Prince, is like eating pizza boxes, either way you get fossilized cheese. And that awful taste in your larynx that comes with sighting roadkill of escaped elderly.

My advice: Smoke a pizza box, or you can smoke Prince Albert's cremated remains from a snaz red pouch.

May Giebbelhouse send blessings of fertility and abudance.

Cheers, Toe Bacco

"Creature, Halt, and regard me." --Giant pale head stuck in mud because of his own choice and won't leave the mud, even though he has been offered many attempts of escape. Note: He is very suicidal...wants universe to end because of bad run in with Prince Albert. It's actually from a book "The Courts of Chaos" by Roger Zelazney. I added the bit of Prince Albert.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I decided to make the drugstore-blend tour and began by picking up a "luxury" pouch of plastic (heh heh) of the following blends: Carter, Granger and Prince Albert.

Of the three, I found Prince Albert to have the fullest flavor.

Out of the burley blends I've smoked I am often left with a taste-feeling that something is missing in the mid-range of the tobacco. Like part of the smoke-note is blank waiting to be filled in.

Prince Albert is the only burley that seems to fill that gap with a mildly spicy fuller flavor.

It burns fast, stays lit, smokes pretty dry but can tend to overheat a corncob. Perhaps I just puff too fast. The wife thinks this stuff smells cigarettish.

My favorite way to smoke the Prince (that doesn't sound right) is in a MacArthur corncob in the morning with a cup of coffee and the morning paper.

The nicotine pickup is substantial and, as I've said, the taste is spicier and fuller than other easily-available "drugstore" blends.

I'm normally a VA, VA/Perique or Latakia smoker, but I find PA to be a good daystarter or mid-day pick-me-up.

I highly recommend it. I keep a big red bucket of it on the tobacciana desk in the foyer next to the pipe collection and humidor at all times.

UPDATE: 3/17/06 DOWNGRADE: some months later, I just bought another bucket. Not sure what the deal is but I am overtaken with the taste and smell of ammonia. I am not a roadie on the pro-PrinceA tourbus any longer.

Image evoked: I would cannibalize the other passengers of the plane that had crashed en route to an artic expedition rather than to seek warmth from such putrid tinder.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Boring, this about as plain as tobacco can get. Not necessarily bad but not good either. In the box it smelled odd, kind of like the smell when someone first lights a cigarette. I almost forgot I was smoking at all, as this had no flavor I could detect.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

I find the Prince to have a little more depth of flavor than some of the other 'drugstore' blends. While not exciting, it's an honest tasty and dry smoke, and won't gunk up your pipes. No problems there, and no nasty topping.

I would rate Prince Albert higher, but the burning qualities are not to my liking. The 'crimp cut' incinerates pretty quickly and you have to puff really slow or you'll burn up your pipe.

And I forgot to mention the sparks!!! There is clearly a burning accelerant in here as a previous reviewer mentioned that I both see and hear. Reminded me of those magic relight candles. Obviously, one match is all you need.

Aside from the chemical adulteration, an ok tobacco. Certainly a notch above Half and Half, but Granger is still my #1 in the low-budget tobacco category.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

I waited to long to order my tobacco last week and ran out of the current round of C&D's Berry Good I'd been smoking for a month or so. The new order had not yet arrived and I was in the mood for burley so I bought a pouch of SWR on the way to work the other day. I've had several smokes with this and not one of them has been unpleasant. As a matter of fact I have enjoyed it very much. It's good to know that in a jam almost anywhere in the world there is a sure bet like this one not far away. However the tobbaco did arrive from North Carolina today so I may be saying good bye on this one till next time...and I'm sure there will be a next time!

I don't smoke this regularly. If "drugstore" blends are all you can get and you are o.k. with Burley tobaccos, this one will fill the bill. It is not for your over $25 pipe. It is best in a Grabow or cob. The filter in those cheap pipes removes a good deal of the harsher elements of these pouch tobacs. Also an o.k. roll-your-own cigarette tobac for those who like Pall Mall unfiltered cigs. I prefer the flavor of Carter Hall.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Like many pipe tobaccos, PA has two faces, depending on how fast it's smoked. Except I would say that PA is much less forgiving of impatient puffing than most blends. Slow and nice, PA is as pleasant a Burley as you'll ever need, with a nutty, somewhat distant, ole' fashioned (yet kind of industrial) flavor and pretty good strength. Smoke it fast (or worse, let the pipe go stone cold and relight hours later) and the illusion of gentleness and peace blows apart in a bitter blast of reality. So with all the great tobaccos out there, why waste words on lowly PA ? Well, it can be found anywhere and everywhere, and it's dirt cheap. If this were all that were available (a remote but tangible) possibility, I might still be a pipe smoker. For a little more aroma, slightly less strength, and a hint of sweetness, try PA's equally ubiquitous stablemate, Carter Hall.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

There are reviewers on this list that mainline latakia and try to find methods of intensifying it. There are innumerable straight virginia smokers who consider it perfectly normal. At least one lit up pure perique and survived to report on it. Why is pure burley not afforded equal respect? Yes, PA is as simple as any single type of leaf. Monochromatic? Probably, but so is a single malt scotch. I prefer the term "focused" myself and derive pleasure from PA the same as I do as my six-fold priced Marlin Flake. Why do I have a hunch that if this cost $6 an ounce it would be revered?

Sure, I like wunderkind Pease's artistry with mixtures. Consider the advantage of the pure leaf, though. By smoking and learning the components separately (ahem, not perique), I enjoy mixtures more. Now I especially like Barbary Coast because I can identify how the parts make the whole.

Anyway, PA, puffed slowly, is a joy. I just plain like just plain burley. Cob pipes match the price, smoking characteristics and perceived sofisikation fine. (I don't crap up my good briars with strong latakia blends either). Get over the snobbiness already. More and more I'm realizing the benefits of dedicated pipes to specific types of tobacco.

It may be an acquired taste some will never have (like turkish), but every piper should try it at some point if only for reference. Blow $2 on it, $3 on a new cob, smoke it slowly while fresh and pretend it all cost you much more. BTW, I sip (but not pretentiously!) old single malt scotch with this. Coffee is also a good mate.