PipesAndCigars

Notes: This fine tobacco originally had no name. It was blended before the first World War especially for the Very Rev. Dr. John White, sometime minister of the Barony Kirk in Glasgow and Moderator of the General Assembly in Scotland in 1929. He introduced it to Stanley Baldwin, later Earl Baldwin, Prime Minister in 1923, 1924 and 1935. He liked it so much that regular supplies were sent
down to him and it was he who suggested that it be called "Presbyterian Mixture". As there continues to be controversy over the question of whether Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia, the following quote from page six of the blender's 2008 catalogue should leave the matter settled: "Extraordinarily soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia
leaf tips. Ideal mixture also for beginners with English tobaccos." Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee.

BrandWilliam P. Solomon
Blended ByPlanta
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

3.2

I got two tins of this in a firesale from someone reducing inventory in the cellar. This tobacco had been recommended to me by several people.

I enjoyed this a lot. It is a tasty Virginia-forward blend with orientals that raise the bar but do not dominate. It is sweet and savory. It is a great smoke and has a lot of balanced flavor. Like others I taste a little latakia, but it is a condiment and not the point of the blend. The smoking experience is subtle and not a sledge hammer.

Pipe Used: Peterson African meer, several briars

Age When Smoked: tins bought from someone divesting

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This may have latakia in it, but I don't think so. I think some are tasting the nuances of the Orientals. Who knows, blenders don't always reveal all their secrets. The tin description does not mention latakia, yet it does the Macedonian. If there is latakia then there is not much. The aroma from the tin is delightfully sweet and sour with a touch of smokiness.

After 10 minutes or so of dry time, this packed quite well and took to the flame nicely. Good volume of smoke and greatly appreciated.

I taste a wonderful interplay of Virginia and the Orientals, this is approaching heavenly. The smoke is dense and heady. Not a strong nicotine hit, but there doesn't have to be. Not stout and strong, but gently assertive and definitely very full. This is just what I have been looking for. Highest recommendation!!

Smoke in peace, all.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)

I have heard about Presbyterian for some time and have wanted to try it. I finally found a tin, picked it up and placed into my rotation. When it came up I approached it carefully and tried not to get too worked up over it as I have been disappointed, over anticipated blends, before. Upon opening the tin I noted a pleasant, earthy aroma of Virginia tobacco. The color was very bright, contrasted by the dark Latakia tips. Very pleasing to the eye and nose. The tobacco seemed very moist and I had trouble keeping my first bowl lit. I also did not get a very good taste from it. I found that first bowl to be rather bland. Based on past experience, I tried pre-packing a bowl for the next day and let it sit overnight. I smoked it on my way to work the next morning and, to be honest, was stunned by the difference! After my first false, or charring, light, the bowl stayed lit and burned all the way through. I found the taste to have the sweetness of a good Virginia yet a sort of butter-creaminess also. I did not get, and have not gotten, the "saltiness" nor the "sourness" which others speak of. It is a unique flavor, all of its own. The Latakia lends a earthy, smokey touch but is not overpowering by anymeans. The flavors continue to develope the more I smoke Presbyterian and this has earned a regular spot in my rotation. I am a Frog Morton lover but I think this has now ranked alongside my favorite FM blends.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (24)

Upon the opening of the tin, I was greeted by the aroma of rotting fruit, vinegar and figs or raisins perhaps, with a slight hay or straw smell present. It was quite unpleasant whilst placing my nose directly above the tin, but somehow seemed to meld together into a pleasant fermented tobacco, hay type smell if wafted toward the nose from a distance.

Oddly enough, the tobacco was packaged in plastic, covered by a piece of paper with some form of a description I'm guessing, which was written in German. I found this quite odd, as the sticker on the top of the tin was written in English and French. Perhaps they should have covered the gamut of major languages and placed a sticker on the bottom written in Spanish. At any rate, back to the task at hand...

The tobacco was a bit moist out of the tin and required a slight air drying of about 15 minutes prior to entering the pipe. It packed easily and took light nicely after a charring burn. I experienced no tongue bite, and the tobacco burned quite cool in the bowl. I detected no casing or topping, but picked up on some Latakia type smoky flavors mid bowl on down to the finish. It was very slight and quite pleasant! The rest of the flavors were somewhat of leathery sweetness and the raisins or figs detected in the tin note. None of the vinegar I first smelled in the tin came through in the smoke. She was mellow and smooth throughout the entire bowl, but I did get a slight nicotine hit at the bottom, which I found to be quite pleasing.

I have since smoked this Presbyterian delight alongside a spot of Earl Grey with cream in the morning, and a single malt Scotch whiskey in the evening. Both of which were quite blissful! The evening smoke allowing the contemplation of things more complicated, punctuating the important details by pointing my pipe as we pipers so often do.

A wonderful smoke, this. 5 out of 4 stars!

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (15)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

As a Catholic, I know that I will burn in the fiery pits of hell for all eternity for smoking this heretical weed, but, hey, you only die once.

On the can it says it's Virginias and Macedonians. George Washington was from Virginia and Alexander the Great was from Macedonia, so it has that going for it. I can't tell if it has Latakia in it or not. Some people say it does and some people say it doesn't. You know, I bet they're both wrong somehow.

The wife says the room note is nice, which means she can stay indoors while I smoke it. Togetherness, as everyone knows, is so important in a marriage.

The smell from the can is delightful, a sour, manure-y, farm-y-ness you city slickers wouldn't understand. I love it. If it was a deodorant, I'd be rubbing it into my armpits right now.

Smoking it is a subtle, nuanced, fragrant, somewhat spicy adventure. It's an adult tobacco and not for the Captain Black kids--easy going enough to smoke all day, but complex enough to make it well worth it. If I could say anything bad about it, it would be that I wish, perhaps, that it was a hair spicier.

The three main tobaccos in my current rotation are Presbyterian Mixture, Frog Morton's Cellar, and Balkan Sasieni. Presby is my favorite of the three and I reach for it most often.

Now, about handing out stars (this, by the way, is my first review)...

Do I give it four stars because I really, really like it, and, yes, I do highly recommend it? Or do I keep the four star rating for something really face-melting, really off-your-meds good? No idea, but I sure can't see myself sitting down and writing a review for a crappy tobacco--and believe you me I have smoked my share of those over the years.

So I guess expect a lot of glowing reviews. That is, until I get bored with reviewing pipe tobacco and vanish into the mists of the internet.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

You would think that after all my years of smoking I would have gotten around to this blend sooner—well that just didn't happen until recently. I have avoided this tobacco blend for a very long time! The reason is pretty simple--I prejudged the blend--I thought that even though it had been around for something like a century it was going to be just another average light English blend. But this is NOT an AVERAGE blend!! It is just too refined and sophisticated to overlook and it belongs on every pipe smoker’s “bucket list” of tobaccos. 3-stars+.

Immediately upon opening the tin I knew with absolute certainty that there was Latakia in the blend. I can perhaps understand, in a way, the confusion about whether Latakia was a component tobacco in this blend or not. The aroma and taste of the Latakia is quite different—not as pungent, dark, forthright and domineering as in many English blends, even light English blends.

I can taste the individual tobacco components upon lighting, but these components lose their identities as you progress into the bowl. This is a blend in its purest sense; it seems to go together so well, every component working in tandem and the tobacco blend components proportioned properly. The taste is uniform, integrated and consistent with just a hint of sweetness and the suggestion of Latakia character.

I would have no difficulty recommending “Prebyterian Mixture” to anyone beginning their adventure with Latakia blends. I now completely understand why this blend has been around for as long as it has. I have some regret that I didn’t find it sooner.

One of the surprises with this blend has been the discovery of its nicotine potency--it's fairly substantial!

NOTE: I recommend smoking this blend in a big-bowled pipe, something on the order of a Group 5 or ODA/B, to completely appreciate all of its flavor nuances.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Flame Grain Blowfish (Shape 186)

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I first bought a tin of Presbyterian yesterday afternoon. A day later, it's more than half gone. I haven't been this excited about a tobacco since I first sampled 965, which I devoured just as quickly. I've heard blends described as creamy, 965 was the only experience I'd describe as such, until I managed to get a hold of Presbyterian.

I opened the tin in the shop, and was greeted with such a wonderful scent, one that I have difficulty describing, and have only come so close as to compare it to that of cured olives. The scent is infectious, and I've been quick to close the lid for fear that it might drift away for good.

The thin, stringy tobacco comes tucked away in a plastic bag, nested inside the tin. Presbyterian is very moist as a consequence, and my first experiments with packing and lighting proved disastrous. One early attempt came in a cob, which I must have fired with my lighter for a good minute without any sort of draw. Confused, I gave the cob a thorough look, and realized I had cracked the shank with the heat! I've taken to filling the chamber of a pipe just after finishing a smoke with another pipe, and returning in an hour or two to a perfect match.

The taste is wonderful, sweet and rich, a strength that builds nicely throughout the smoke yet never overpowers. I crave rough smokes, and strangely not found myself wanting of more nicotine. My compulsive need to apply Perique has been derailed, for the short term. There is a bit of Latakia in this, yet it's subtle enough to confuse some into believing it's not there, very much like Early Morning Pipe, though stronger in body. In all the desire my cigarettes have found solitary company, oddly.

You find a tobacco you like, and it shortly disappears. For the first time, I've been thinking of building a cellar.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Presbyterian Mixture . I have wanted to try this one for a while now and am glad I have ! Upon opening it one is greeted by a splendid earth-like aroma and the cut is fabulously even with a great amount of moisture (not too wet nor too dry) . If you "dry draw" pre light you will get a really scintillating flavour of the tobaccos used , dominantly Virginia albeit you can detect with ease the Orientals and Latakia . Once lit the equilibrium of tobaccos in it is just right ,giving a truly auspicious smoke that does not bite . Like the un-lit aroma the smoke has a splendid earthy quality to it . A good level of Nicotine also as its just the right strength . Very pleasing indeed !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

BrantlyMedders Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrantlyMedders (7)

Even halfway into my second tin of Presyberian, this blend remains something of an enigma to me. This tin aroma is rich, earthy, and sweet. Even though it smells _very_ faintly of Latakia, none of that unique smokiness can be detected in the actual smoke. It smokes quite cooly, burning to a fine grey-white ash at the bottom of the bowl.

I've really begun to enjoy the interplay of the fully mature Virginia and buttery Oriental flavors that this historic blend offers. This is an excellent hot weather blend and something I will most definately keep in my rotation.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

My first love in pipe smoking. The macedonians are just great, the virginias first quality, and the latakia mmmm to add some controversy i dont think its latakia at all, maybe some sort of smoked turkish, but just a pinch. This is a must for every pipe smoker, since the first moment you open the tin and smell like a dirty barn coming out (no kidding) till you left gray ashes at the bottom of your pipe.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)

Visually, a striking mixture of tobacco ranging from blonde through to almost black.

The tin note is sweet and savoury. Pine notes predominate but there is a full earthiness redolent of leather and stables. Latakia is obviously here.

Lights easily with a single match and burns without need for relights or tamping to the very bottom of the bowl. An absolute delight.

The latakia is centre stage for the first third or so and then settles down. The latakia is not particularly aggressive however. I did not feel that I had been sitting alongside a campfire all night. As the bowl progresses the flavours marry and settle. It is sweet, subtle and soft. I did however detect some ammonia, though not enough to cause concern.

I could not pick out orientals apart from the latakia specifically. I really do think some delicate virginias bring much of the magic here. Whatever, the blend is a delight however it is made.

BriarRabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarRabbit (1)

Being a Presbyterian myself, this blend had my immediate curiosity and desire to try it upon seeing it listed at P&C. Providence afforded me the opportunity to try some a couple weeks ago while visiting a friend (while BBQ'ing). I took notes during my smoke so I could post my thoughts here.

That said, my friend stated it was a new tin he was saving for our 'que knowing I'd probably be interested in trying it. I cracked the tin and found a piece of cardboard covering the goods. The smell was wonderful and like no other tobacco I have tried before or since. First and foremost was the plum/raisin, followed by the Virginia's with their familiar sweet hay aroma. I was about to move pull it away from my nose to remove the cardboard when I got a hint of leather and/or earthy aroma with floral-ish notes. OOoo, wait; was that Latakia? Intriguing. Cardboard out, interesting plastic bag opened ... and wow ... now the aroma's are even more powerful but with that moistness that's hard to describe. I just sat there and took it in. Blissful is all I can say. My wife even liked it(!!).

The cut as y'all know is a fine ribbon which I don't usually like as I prefer flake. I have to admit, I was disappointed with this facet of the blend. It is my only point of contention with it; in fact, if it came in flake: I'd be broke. If anybody reading this knows of a flake that is similar to PM, please let me know. Because it seemed moist, I pulled out a couple bowls worth out of the tin and let it sit about 20 minutes before loading. The rest sat till 2nd bowl (see further down).

It packs easily enough into the bowl and doesn't "rise up" afterwards before lighting. I drew a couple of times just to see if it changed profile at all. Only a bit in that it was mainly the leather tones coming through.

Char light revealed the hay and leather first and forward followed by some floral. Very pleasant and only served to pique my interest further. 2nd light was easy and it stayed lit till I was done. PM is a cool smoke; I've since tried freight training with it and my pipe(s) only ever get warm, never hot. Very forgiving. The Virgina was there instantly. Perhaps that's because I'm a huge VaPer fan and detect my beloved Va's quickly. However, the sweetness was accompanied quickly with the floral and then rounded out with what appeared to be a Lat. Incredible.

Mid-bowl the tastes are melded together perfectly and last to the end of the bowl. It remains consistent and satisfying throughout. If any flavor moves forward, it is the Lat - but only a touch forward.

If there is a lingering taste, it's mildly sweet and smokey. I've only had one bowl where there was a bit more than ash at the bottom.

Bottom line: It is in my rotation always as I consider it 5 out of 4 stars. If you are looking for an introduction to English blends, PM is where I'd recommend you start. However, true to its name: be warned, it's stubborn and won't like leave your rotation.

As I said above, I had a 2nd bowl shortly after the first (and finishing my Shiner beer). Short version: it was good or better having been aired out for about an hour. Lighting was even easier was probably the main difference.

Pipe Used: Billiard

Age When Smoked: 47

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Nothing I've ever had before..

I noticed that one of the reviewers wondered why the reviews of this blend are so varied and contradictory. Maxim Engel of pipes2smoke (and quite an authority on tobacco types), cleared that up by telling me that Presbyterian Mixture has had three blenders since its inception many moons ago. It was first produced in England, then Denmark and now Germany. My review below is from the German made variety:

Here's my Reader's Digest version of impressions regarding Prez Mixture (which obviously has fooled a lot of taste buds into believing there is Latakia in the mix.) Still, there are many examples of Virginia leaf, in particular, cured in a manner that will fool the taste buds into believing it is Latakia (Condor, McClelland's Black Shag and the English version of Walnut are prime examples). It is a blend that is unique and unwavering as you work your way down the bowl. It smells like Latakia in the tin--although there isn't any. It has somewhat of a Latakia taste when puffing--although there isn't any. It packs more wallop (i.e. nicotine) than most Latakia blends though, and that is probably because there is no Latakia in Presbyterian Mixture.

It smokes cool, burns evenly and even has an okay scent when whiffed by those you love.

Wīglāf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wīglāf (1)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Presbyterian Mixture was the second blend I ever smoked. My first (purchased in complete ignorance of tobacco blends, of course) was a 2oz bag of black cavendish from a local tobacconist. Needless to say, I was impressionable and had nothing to which I could compare Presbyterian. I was impressed.

Since those early days, Presbyterian has become a favorite blend. It is complex, heady and balanced. Each smoke is consistent. I used to think that this blend smoked a little hot and bit, but I chalk that up to inexperience early on. You really cannot have a bad smoke when Presbyterian is in the bowl.

Presbyterian's tin note and smoking experience are very unique. There are a lot of "Balkan" blends (an ambiguous misnomer for a VA+Latakia+Orientals blend) out there, and it is a challenge to find any that diverge from the hackneyed formula. Presbyterian successfully breaks free, and is memorable and enjoyable every time. I highly recommend this classic blend!

Pipe Used: Savinellis: Duca Carlo & Trevi 114 KS

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (90)

This is a superb classic blend. The tobacco is an amalgamation of thinly cut, brightly colored ribbons, mixed with chunky bits of brown and black leaf. Fresh from the tin, the moisture content is perfect and it requires little dry time. The tin note smells of rotting fruit laced with a touch of spice and a trace of wood smoke.

When lit, I get a hint of sweet clove and a subtle sensation of pepper on the tongue. Light in body, smooth in texture with flavors that are far from bold, the smoke is still somehow delicious and extraordinarily fragrant. That said, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the highlight of this blend is the rousing perfume of Presbyterian’s pungent Macedonian leaf. When put to flame, it reveals a deep musty, slightly sour and almost medicinal scent that is delicately offset by a sweet ambrosial trail of fine latakia. The Virginia provides good structure but the interplay between the Oriental and Latakia leaf, (the aromatic facets of Presbyterian if you will), is what makes this product so exquisite. Not since Margate have I come across a more exotic and intoxicating tobacco aroma. Presbyterian stays nicely lit and has a delightful mid to end bowl flavor that is very well balanced. It is best enjoyed in still air and it would be a waste to smoke this outdoors on a breezy day.

In today’s world of powerfully complex & densely flavored tobacco mixtures, Presbyterian continues to be a refreshing reminder of how tasteful milder blends can be. A piper looking for a strong statement in Latakia will most likely pass this over, but if you’re seeking that special Oriental/VA forward smoke with a just a touch of Latakia, Presbyterian might fit nicely in your rotation.

Simply elegant and highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum and Briar

petrisz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petrisz (2)

I was completely blown away by this. Last time I was so excited about a blend was when I smelled Balkan Sobranie :)

Smell-wise it is like a basket of smokey figs and dates and plums and almonds plus some pepper and pine tree.

Out of the tin it seemed OK but in the pipe proven to be just a bit to moist. It burned a bit hot and had a very-very-tiny tongue bite. I recommend giving it a little time to dry.

The smoke was just wonderful. It is rich and spicy. The tin suggests that it does not contain latakia but it tastes like it contains a very little. The Macedonian tobacco is a delight to taste and is complemented by a virginia that has more of the mature earthy notes than straight honey and vanilla notes.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Ecume Rusticata 626

Age When Smoked: freshly bought

Purchased From: www.4noggins.com

Jdor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jdor (13)

Everything I heard from this tobacco is true. It's a one in a kind experience for everyone, from experienced pipe smokers to the english-type novices as well!

Upon lighting i could taste the sweet virginias and the spicy orientals. I know there is a neverending discussion about the latakia content, but I find hard to say that I'm only tasting orientals here.

Whatever the case might be, I got from this blend exactly what I was looking for, a great and smooth english experience. 4 stars!

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Plumcake.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice picture of a cathedral on the banal tin sticker, as opposed to the painted blue lid of old. Old fashioned words like 'Presbyterian' and the all inclusive puffers favourite adjective 'mixture'. A marketing man's dream!

All in all a very decent mild/medium, creamy English blend. Will join my other favourites such as Peterson's Old Dublin, MM 965, 'And so to bed' and Penzance!

Good luck getting the latter!!

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

The tin said "Made in EU." Before I opened the tin, which was marked "Air Tight," a wonderful aroma emanated from the sealed tin - not sure exactly how to describe it. Pungent. Earthy. Tobaccoey. Leather. When I opened the tin and started to break up the compressed strands, the aroma intensified. Added to the above descriptive words, it reminded me of the smell of fresh mowed hay and dairy cows. The tobacco inside was moist, and I wondered how well it would take to a match and stay lit. I gravity fed it into a new meerschaum and very lightly tamped it. Took to a match perfectly after two charring lights. Billowy puffs of smoke, no bite. The taste was reminicscent of a mild cigar or a cigarette. Disappointing. If I want to smoke a cigar, I'll smoke a cigar. Well, I was determined to discover how it would finish out, and after getting about halfway down, the flavor became more nuanced and enjoyable. Burned clean to the end, just gray ash at the bottom of the bowl, no dottle or goop. Left a pleasant aftertaste. I suppose I will eventually finish the tin, but I am not sure if I'll buy another.

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I read some of the reviews before purchasing a tin. I'm not a constant smoker of Latakia blends because I find them...eventually to be too much to take.

I'm on my second day with this and I'm really enjoying it and it's not fighting back. I'm not getting all of those supposed nuances of flavoring and complexity, just a real nice Latakia blened smoke. To put those who say there is no Latikia in this, there is. End of story. If you think you can't taste any, go to a neurologist because you occipital nerve complex has failed you. This is a nice, nice choice for the occasional Latakia smoker or the one who wants to stay with it for a while and not get beat up.

Pipe Used: briar and corncob

Age When Smoked: new after opening

Purchased From: Havana House E. Rochester, NY

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Allright. I've tried several times to be kind with this blend. There was a time when I tasted something spicy, there was a time when I tasted the pure, smooth flavour of orientals. There was a time that I thought why should I smoke this thing...To be honest, it is a nice english blend, decent enough. However I think that if Presbyterian EM was a person, his name would be John Doe: it lacks a strong identity, it lacks a distinctive feature and seems at times that someone just threw the tobacco in and sealed the tin. Pretty bad for a blend that, at first, seemed promising enough.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got a tin of this through a random blind tin exchange that we included in a PSF get together. I consider myself fortunate to pick this one after smoking it as it is an excellent English blend. I can see where there is controversy as to whether there is any Latakia in this blend as the dominance of this blend lies in the sour orientals that are elevated by a sweet Virginia. This is a great blend.

Also notable on this is the sidestream aroma. It is fantastic. I highly recommend this to the English smoker.

Anglesey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anglesey (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing in particular jumps through about this blend, though I will say there is latakia present. Despite nothing overwhelming, everything is blended well and in moderation. A very well rounded tobacco. Just fits the dreary era it comes from, and seems to have a very English demeanor.

Comes in a plastic bag in the tin, which I liked, as the crimped paper on other blends always annoys me after a while. Contrary to what others think, I preferred this fresh, I wasn't really as bothered with it after it had dried out a bit more. A staple in anyone's collection.

Pipe Used: Clays, Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin.

Purchased From: pipeshop.co.uk

woodworker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodworker (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco smells good and earthy in the tin. As a Smoke I found it without any particular flavor. The nicotine was a little strong for me. I normally smoke English blends with a decent amount of latakia. This by comparison was surprisingly bland. On the plus side, the room smelled better afterward. On the negative side, I found it dull. So, with respect to other reviewers who liked it, I give it two stars but can't find a compelling reason to give it more.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: new tin

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

As I am not only a proud Red Sea pedestrian but I am also an ordained congregational Rabbi it is quite amusing to me that this blend created for an esteemed member of the Presbyterian clergy should be my current favorite tobacco. Here's the story: I first tried this blend some five years ago. I disliked it. The tin ended up being stored in a Ziplock bag along with other pipe stuff in a plastic storage bin in anticipation of a move. Recently while searching for some old pipe stands I discovered the tin and decided to give the stuff another try. Opening the tin I found the tobacco still moist, the inside of the top of the tin had even rusted a bit. The dark tobacco had a nice slightly musty sweet and sour aroma with a bit of smokiness. I loaded up an old CBP Westminster London made pipe and sparked it up. I was very pleasantly surprised. The smoke was both full bodied and gentle. I usually am not a huge fan of either Virginia or Oriental tobacco but this blend has a marvelous sweet and sour flavor. Yes, there is Latakia, just a bit to season this delicious blend adding a slight a bit of a sweet smokiness, somewhat like what smoked paprika adds to a dish. When I had first tried this years past I was on a heavy Latakia binge so perhaps that is why it was forgotten for so long. As for nicotine content, the dose in this aged tin was quite mild, something that to me is a plus. The tin is now almost empty after numerous bowls. I can't say for sure if the aging had altered the flavor. A new tin is on the way so I'll soon find out. As for this tin, it's a favorite and highly recommended. 5/27/2013 Update: I finished my archaeological discovery tin and popped open a new one. Surprise! A much milder, brighter tasting, less smokey and less savory experience. More of a Virginia forward taste it was still very enjoyable but the aging on the first tin really improved this classic mixture. I'll enjoy this tin but a suppose I must cellar a few and get back to them in the future to enjoy it as much a the first I tried. It still rings up four stars though.

silvatorres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvatorres (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I came across a tin of this tobacco by luck. I was just buying some pipe cleaners at a shop in oPorto when i noticed they had a nice collection and variety of tobaccos for sale. I was surprised because i hadn't until then found a place where i could buy unusual brands and blends.

When i saw this tin, i remembered someone's advice to make my debut on english tobaccos via Presbyterian Mixture. I have never before tried Latakia, therefore i can't really tell if you taste it here, or not. What i know is that i just love smoking this tobacco for now. I've been smoking it everyday for the last two weeks, and each bowl i smoke seems to taste better than the last.

I've dedicated a brand new pipe to this tobacco, with a large bowl, and to which i removed the stain, leaving it unstained and unwaxed, the pure touch of briar in my hand. The tobacco burns cool, and tastes great, in my opinion. I've found it a good company when walking by the riverside or at the beach. I also enjoy it after lunch with a good cup of coffee, taking some sun, preparing for the afternoon.

Some people have complained of its room note, not that it isn't tolerable, but because they didn't particularly enjoy its smell.

When smoking i tend to feel the taste of wood in my mouth, can't really specify how, but it sometimes does taste like oak to me. The taste varies during the bowl, but i consistently enjoy it during the hole smoke.

I found it very easy to lit and keep lit. Burns evenly and like i said before, burns cool. I've never had tongue bite and i can assure you, being a "newbie" to pipe smoking i tend to puff a bit hard sometimes. Nevertheless i've taken this tobacco as a good chance to become a calm, relaxed and slow smoker. I've had a few bowls burning consistently from top to bottom, never needing to be relit.

I can't tell what other people preferences are when it comes to taste, but if like myself you are discovering the pipe tobacco world, you should give Presbyterian Mixture a try - Even if you don't like it, you'll have a nicely conceived tin of tobacco with a nice look - You could sacralize it as if it was an artistic artifact, in my opinion.

I gave it 4 stars - i don't know if i'll change my mind in the future, but for now, it seems ti fit just right.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

In the tin there a description of the tobacco written in German. The tobacco is wrapped in a plactic bag, like those from Wellauer in Switzerland. Difficult to know where a tobacco comes from these days! That said, I had a tin of Royalty from Davidoff at the same time. The smell in the tin was almost identical with something stronger for Presbiterian. Smoke is really first-class, satisfaying with a good balance and a nice addition of Latakia. A tobacco to recommend. Perhaps difficult to buy in continental Europe : I bought the tin St James's street London at the cigar shop where Churchill was a customer, so that was keeping in the circle of British prime ministers!

Maccas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maccas (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Did not like the plastic wrapping that the tobacco came in. For me, this detracts from the authenticity of the product. Liked the smell of the tinned raw tobacco - fruity with depth of character. The baccy packed well - certain amount of moisture and pliability in there, the moisture came back later to gurgle a bit and steam on the tongue. However, there is an usual taste and aroma in there that is out of the ordinary. I like it! She who must be obeyed does not like the room note - so generally smoke this outside - no great hardship. This obviously has great heritage and in these days of econimic un-certainty it is nice to draw on the politicians of the past. I have smoked this with a good glass of scotch running alongside it and it is loveley. This, in my opinion, should be sipped gently and allow the smoke to come to the nose - it's double the pleasure. Very good gentle smoke - unusual aroma - like wet leather. Only drawback is that my baccy is moist and as such gurgles and steams a bit - some tongue bite in there but not bad. I have taken the baccy out of the plastic and hopefully this will help with moisture. Good smoke, would buy it again. I think there is world of pipe smokes out there so may try something else and come back to it. Try it!

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I always wanted to try this because, well, I am Presbyterian!!! Not BAD by any stretch, but, considering I can get numerous bulk baccy's much cheaper, not worth the cost. Nothing great. Nothing distinctive. Certainly nothing worth paying $15 for 1 3/4 oz when I can get bulks I like better for $3 - $3.50 per oz! I'll keep the tin as a conversation piece, but I doubt I'll ever buy any more!

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tin I purchased about a year ago, smoked a few bowls , was unimpressed, sealed the tin and cellared it away . I decided to give this another try, it was a pleasant surprise. The smoke is creamy maybe even buttery and sour . I'm not really sure what constitutes a Macedonian tobacco ( called out on the tin) but it sure smokes nice. No real spice, no cheese flavor ( that I get from other Orientals and like) , no real sweetness from the Virginias, this is hard to classify and describe. the taste reminds me of a hint of Deer tongue , no real heavy dose of Latakia (London blend ?, does it or doesn't it have lat.)? I could learn to like this as a change of pace, but it has a strange aftertaste that I can't identify and I'm not really sure I like. If you buy this,just don't expect "fireworks". Have the time to sit and savor this one as it can bite. I'll give this 2 stars but I can't disagree with those that give it four. It's just not for me and I won't buy again

Agree with reviwer Kokinhenik below

jediokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jediokie (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I really, really wanted to love this blend. It's been highly recommended by several long time smokers whom I look to for tobacco advise. It has been reviewed well on this site.

It was horrible. I opened then tin and the product was really dry. The orientals overpowered the Latakia and changed the complexity of what should have been an English into something unpalatable.

It may just be my taste buds, but after half a bowl I was done. I traded it as soon as I found someone who wanted it.

The experience almost ruined me on orientals for ever but several months later another tobacco came along to save the day.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

"It's a classic English blend" they told me, so I bought a tin. Opening which, a rather noticeable topping accosts my nose; something fruit-ish. Does not clash with the tobacco, but IMHO a topping--any topping--is rather misplaced on an English blend.

The leaf looks pretty normal: bright (Orient!), yellow/red and black. Classical English ribbon cut, stuffs easily, lights easily and burns... er, a little too easily; this blend, unlike any other English I have had so far, actually burns hot. The taste, nevertheless, is mild, with very little sweetness (where's the VA when you need it?), some toast from the Latakia, and the good, clean (if weak) taste of the Orientals.

The room note is nothing to write home about; pretty much typical English, not very strong, but certainly not conducive to social networking either. Throughout the smoke, I get a slight sour note that I attribute mostly to the topping.

Burns down well, but for me leaves some dottle (I'm not used to that); I can see how people may like this blend and because of its mildness would recommend for beginners or Latakia newbies. For me, there is far too little oomph in there (the Latakia content is OK; I want more nicotine) and suggest gentle sipping. It might, IMHO, be better without the topping; I shall persevere throughout the second half of my tin, but won't buy again.

Addendum 2012-02-28: I have to say that this blend grows on me a little. I had originally underestimated the Nic content; it is mild-to-medium for me. The taste is still OK, making it a candidate for an all-day smoke. Just not what my particular doctor ordered, but take your time with this leaf -- as said, it may grow on you. At the price it has where I live, it may be a bit of a sleeper. Not bad at all, just not what rocks my boat at this time... if you like gentle, sweet English blends, try it.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Tolerable

The only thing I do not like about this blend is the plastic bag inside the tin. It isolates the breath of the tobacco with the air. About the blend itself, it is a little dry and difficult to pack. It lights well however. The first puff shows the nice mixture of virginia and oriental. Regarding latakia, I prefer to say there is few: shows some existance but hardly noticable. It is a blend I would care not much when owning it, but will sometimes miss it when there is none left. Recommended.

HunterTRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HunterTRW (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

To paraphrase "The Most Interesting Man in the World" who appears occasionally in television commercials for a certain brand of beer, "I don't often smoke English blends, but when I do I prefer Presbyterian Mixture!" To me, it epitomizes the phrase "classic English pipe-tobacco."

The aroma in the tin is delicious: wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone.

Presbyterian Mixture's appearance is pleasing, too. Remove the cardboard cover beneath the lid, peel back the clear plastic inner wrap, and you will find substantial strands together with ponderous pieces of light-to-dark brown Virginia leaf, intermixed with Latakia tips that are almost black. It's typically moist, not overly so, but does benefit from some drying prior to use. This is a hefty-looking amalgam that promises solid smoking pleasure.

It does not disappoint. Using the Frank method to fill the bowl of a favorite Savinelli Oscar, it provides me with a good hour of English ecstasy. I find that this tobacco is at its best when smoked SLOWLY, but then aren't they all? I don't mean that you should sip it. Rather, take a deep draught every minute or two and let it drizzle out of your mouth. Take your time as you contemplate its manifold charms and it will reward you. Become distracted (or simply give in to gluttony) and puff too fast, and it will both bite and kick. Nicotine is here in abundance, but will behave if you treat this mixture with gentleness and respect.

Without drying I typically need only two pipe-cleaners per bowl; with drying only one. This tobacco reduces to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle. The room note is comforting in the same manor (pun intended) as that of an old, familiar, and favorite hunting lodge, cabin, or library.

This is a fine English tobacco mixture, and I give it my highest benediction. Amen.

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is the german variety (kopp and kohlhaase?) that's being reviewed.

Opened the tin for airing out and drying and the smell is like barnyard, cows and ducklings. My girlfriend said "what the hell is that smell" so I guess that's a bad thing. Opened it up side by side with Gawith's Skiff and skiff has a cleaner, crisper and more attractive smell.

So, pulled up a pipe thinking that I would probably dislike this blend and whoah I was SO wrong!

Tasty leathery "English" blend with a small amount of latakia thrown in. Dried charcoaled firewood-sy like flavor that sometimes goes into the area of catholic church incense.

When the bowl is done you are going to wish you had more!

This tobacco is on the same level as Squadron Leader for me. A real interesting english smoke that really stands above the competition.

My Ranking: #1 Presbyterian 2 Northwoods 3 Squadron Leader 4 Skiff 5 Dunhill 965

Early Morning Pipe does not even make the list. I don't understand that really, but EMP is just revolting and stinks up your skin, breath and smoking paraphernalia. My girlfriend shunned me half the day after smoking EMP.

...But Presbyterian is World Class! 5 pluses and then a couple of geese thrown in as bonus points! :D

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A quintessential, quality all-day medium High English in the same family as Squadron Leader, Margate, Artisan's Blend & Blackpoint. Like the others of its ilk it has its own nuances, but there's nothing extraordinary to make it stand out from a crowded field. Worth trying if you like the others as this one may be the one that perfectly tickles your tastebuds.

UPDATE 9/25/13

Was gifted a tin of this recently and cracked it. There can be no doubt that this contains latakia. People must be confusing the latakia for straight oriental here. The taste and aroma make the inclusion of latakia rather obvious to me, although it's a subtle amount. The orientals are much more prominent, as is the virginia. Still good stuff, just not a world beater.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I bought a tin of this because I'm currently experimenting with oriental blends without latakia. So I was a bit surprised to smell a light amount of latakia in the tin aroma. So as not to ghost the pipes I have reserved for oriental-no-latakia, I smoked this in a brand new IMP meerschaum pipe. As is the custom, the pipe is now ghosted with the aroma of latakia. How disappointing! For those who feel there is no latakia in this, all I can say is that it fits much better in my Balkan blend pipes and not at all in my oriental pipes. If it's not latakia, it's doing an incredibly believable impersonation, both in taste and room aroma. In my consternation, I checked with a reputable tobacco etailer as well as a tobacco expert mentioned in a review below, and they both felt there was latakia in this mix. So if you're looking for a true oriental without latakia, buy this one at your own risk, as there seems to be dissension in the ranks.

But I tried to view this objectively as a lighter bodied Balkan blend rather than allow my disappointment to bias my findings. This is a very decent smoke with a mild-to-medium flavor. It does develop a bit down the bowl but I would classify this as a "steady eddie" - not many surprises here. Nothing at all wrong with a lack of surprise, but on the flip side there is some depth and nuance here. Just not a bunch. I think it's a perfectly fine blend. I smoked the entire tin but I found it ordinary enough that I won't buy any more. As always, your mileage may vary.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

How do I love thee, Presbyterian, let me count the ways: the tin with its old church floating in the clouds. That stodgy, Protestant appellation given to a pipe tobacco, no less. And yes, even its unremarkable but charming history and endurance. This is a blend that has been around a long time, and for very good reason. A homage to the Very Rev. William White of Barony Kirk, Glasgow and Earl Baldwin. I can almost hear the glorious musical strains of H. Walford Davies or Sir Charles H. Hubert Parry as the Earl made his way through some pompous national affair. While the Earl may no longer be remembered by modern day Scotsmen, happily for us, his favorite tobacco is!

The aroma is positively wonderful in the tin, with its plum/prune bouquet. And yes, one could easily be fooled that there is latakia in the mixture and not just stoved dark Virginias. Critics find the flavor bland, but I don?t feel that way at all. Though now made in Germany, this is Scotland in a can, and it brings wonderful memories of that delightful and rugged place to mind. The colors of the tobacco are an uncomplicated burnished black and white. The aroma is salty, earthy and briny, like the Isle of Skye. It has a hint of peaty smokiness, like a fine Islay malt. This is an excellent accompaniment to Laphroig or Lagavullin. The texture is fine ribbon cut and its long, moist strings pack beautifully into any number of bowls. I take mine in a small full bent Dunhill. This is truly an evening smoke, though I?ve cheated, and had some during the day. I also appreciate that this is packed in a plastic bag inside the tin and not just paper, which can cause quicker drying. Pipes magazine aptly called it ?belt and suspenders? packaging.

The light is easy, usually no more than one or two matches is required to keep this going for a long, contemplative smoke. Though perhaps not as deep and spicy as Durbar or as exotic as Frog Morton On the Town, Presbyterian is in a class by itself, and there?s nothing else quite like it. It leaves a beautiful, puffy white ash and raises a lovely crown upon lighting. Never any wet dottle in the bowl, and I?m generally a salivating, chewy smoker. However, unlike Dunhill, which generally gets better as it dries out, Presbyterian is more robust when it?s new and moist.

Though a bit pricey, Presbyterian is a rare and joyous find. It?s a polished blend that shall always find a place in my collection and that I can always turn to for its simple, distinguished elegance. I hope to smoke it on a future trip to Scotland, when my heart shall once again be in the highlands.

Five of five stars ------------------ aug 2006 update

This might be the wrong time of the year for this stuff, though something tells me it's more than that. This is really a cool weather blend. Still, it's my third tin, and each time, it gets a bit worse. This is no longer a Scottish blend. It's made by that damnable German/EU company to which Dunhill, Rattray and other once great blending houses have outsourced their wares. This is still good on the nose and keen on the palate, but it's a raging firebrand on the tongue. They must be spiking this with Zyklon B. This blend has certainly changed like so many others. None of the Dunhills are good anymore. Rattray is pedestrian, and this is not far behind. Too bad that even a venerable blend as Presby has gone the way of all flesh.

Two of five stars

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

"A mellow blend of US Virginia tobaccos and high quality Macedonian grades."

That is how this old blend is usually described?a little more useful, I'd say, that all that piffle about Stanley Baldwin. Do even the oldest smokers remember who he was? [The original appeaser, he was British prime minister on three occasions, 1923-24, 1924-29, and 1935-37.]

This is a virginia-oriental blend, and there is no latakia here, although some of the stoved Virginia might fool you. It is subtle, smooth, slightly bland, not exactly memorable?just like the 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley.

Pease's CAIRO, for example, is really the better mixture. And, of course, Fox' CAMPANILE is my absolute favourite for a Virginia-Oriental.

Yet I kind of enjoy this, even if it really lacks colour and piquancy to my old Episcopalian palate.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Mostly medium orange and tan leaf with a few darker ribbons. The aroma is rich with Orientals, and sweet with Virginias, but little Latakia smokiness get up my chimney. Packs nicely int all size pipes, and take flame readily. The initial flavors are the Virginias first and the Orientals right after them. There is an immediate layering of tastes, quite charming, and totally British, right-o. As the smoke progresses, the Latakia reminds you that it's there. Burns well, right to the bottom of the bowl, exceptionally dry and usually cool (unless you overpuff). I will get more of this.

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (8)

Why didn't they Just call it Martin luther and cut out some of the BS? Instead Planta (D) give us a load of marketing garbage about a Very Rev. Dr. John White (GB) who supposedly smoked this exact blend over 100 years ago. I also like how its been placed before WW1 to make us romanticise of how things could have been.

About the tobacco itself, it is excellent and worth trying. Nice and mild with just the right amount of Latakia to give it a noticeable but soft smokiness.

Pipe Used: Caminetto

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think this is a very good tobacco, in order to understand all its component you’ve to smoke more than a tin! It’s a pleasant everyday smoke but, for me, with a nicotine kick if you smoke it in large pipes. Nevertheless the roomnote is tollarable, my wife said it’s a bit strong but still less than other latakia blends.

Pre Republic Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pre Republic Peterson (9)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really wanted to try this, exciting history and was relatively hard for me to find a tin. Opened it to see German label inside and a plastic bag, a disappointing start. My tobacco was not coarse, more like tiny wood chippings found on the floor. Dry tobacco. Easy to light due to dryness from can. Huge nicotine hit, the biggest hit I have had for some time, I love Vitamin N, but wow! A double whammy and then some. Aroma reminds me of Dunhill Royal Yacht. I guess I should try another can, but will save it for some time in the future, too many good smokes out there to enjoy.

Having read the other reviews, I think mine has serious quality control issues, the cut is terrible, tiny. :(

EDIT…On thinking, I would have said this is Royal Yacht is blind tasting. This is not what I expected

Pipe Used: Pre-Republic Peterson House Pipe

Similar Blends: Dunhill Royal Yacht.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Finally got to this classic. I can see why it has lasted the test of time. Loved the colorful variation to this blend. Just the right moisture from the tin so it's ready to smoke. This is a nice English blend that smells and acts like the usual suspects of Skiff Mixture, Squarden Leader and Peterson's Old Dublin. However, there is a twist, a unique smell that defines Presbyterian Mixture. There is a tangy tart smell that also translates to the taste of each bowl and last throughout the smoke. Which ever tobacco this is in the blend that is lending this flavour, is quite dry and gives the blend a flat musky taste. I assume its the smoky flat taste of the Latakia tips. Every single bowl has left my mouth extremely dry with a lingering flat aftertaste. Other than that, I find no fault with this great blend. I do recommend it.

You can expect a musky room note that is not bad but won't be celebrated by a spouse.

Purchased From: Tinderbox Raleigh.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

This is one of those blends that, for a while, has just barely and perceptibly registered on my consciousness. However, a few folk on a forum I frequent have been smoking this recently so it managed to register a little louder within the merry confines of my ill-used cranium and, after a little inquiry, I decided to purchase a tin.

The smell of mild creosote confirms this definitely has latakia in it. The fine ribbons were easy to pack and light. The first few smokes were a little rough, might have been me smoking it too quick or not giving it time to ghost my pipe. In later smokes though, it did calm down and settled into a pleasant, relatively mild latakia taste with a hint of sweetness. It does require taking slowly though, a little too quick and it can get quite rough.

A quite pleasant, sweet smoke then that does require a little care in smoking slowly. I am surprised there seems to be some debate as the lat content as, to me anyway, it's patently obvious that it's in there even if it is far from being a lat bomb. Could be, of course, that I've got sensitive tastebuds and probably why I got a little roughness too but don't worry folks, it's in there. Anyway, on the whole, a decent smoke that isn't wildly exciting but earns itself a nice three stars.

Pipe Used: Straight Falcon with Algiers Bowl

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: Tree Mixture.

A pleasant smoking experience. A nice amount of spice from the Orientals and Virginias and a dose of sweetness as well. A touch of butter could be discerned as well as a light incense quality to the smoke. The smokiness of the Latakia is light but always present. Toward the end the sweetness fades replaced by the woody notes of the Latakia. All in all an enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bulldog, MM General

Similar Blends: Nothing comes to mind..

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (24)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

An easy go tobacco and yet a complicated character to it. Latakia is definitely there. At times it leaves off an aromatic taste. Also has a "livani" roomnote, smell.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

It's a classic that's the best thing I could say about it

Malus Rex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Malus Rex (9)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Strong

Soft blend? Ideal mixture? To date, this is the only mixture that has made me feel nauseated. I really wanted to like this blend given it's reputation, history, and noted quality. Unfortunately in the end I was forced to mix the last portion of the tin with my beloved Nightcap to make it tolerable enough to avoid wasting it & tossing it in the trash bin. Sour, harsh, and biting. A nicotine punch in the unmentionables.

Short & sweet: If I could find the sadists responsible for this blend, I'd burn down their offices and salt the earth like the Romans at Carthage. Vae Victis.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I remember when the tin of this was painted . The tin I get nowadays has a sticker of the product for the American Market. Underneath the lid it's still a fine pipe tobacco. It's strange to me that an English blend like this gets so many compliments in the aroma department but it certainly does.

The spicey macedonian leaf is amazing next to the sweet virginia. With the smokey Latikia this almost turns into a BBq of flavour.

If I had to pick my favorite english mixture that I would want on that island, this is my Choice.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

This really is a Prince amongst tobacco blends. It manages to mix bright and dark attractively to the eye, sweet and sour pleasantly to the nose and fruit and salt deliciously to the taste buds. Complex, yet easy to light and maintain, it has everything going for it. If I were to be condemned to only one tobacco for the rest of my days, this would probably be it.

Highly recommended.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)

Found my favorite blend so far. I like strong blends, finding straight Virginias way too bland (almost tasteless). I want to know that I am smoking tobacco and this delivers. Not only does it deliver a fantastic flavor, but it is such smooth robust taste. I can not say enough of this blend. If your looking for a smooth pop of Latakia, this is it.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Where should I start on this? The tin has a very noticeable Virginia smell that is one of the best I have ever smelled. It was as if though there was honey added. The Orientals give it a very fragrant and peppery smell, smoky and smoked!

Once lit, this mixture is pure ecstasy. The balance between the Virginia and the Orientals is I have to say, perfect. This is the best Oriental mixture I have ever smoked.

The blend and balance gives this mixture such a full taste, that is difficult to describe. I would dare say, "smoked honey goodness with a kick in the taste buds". Buy this, buy this!

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

`Good stuff right out of a new tin. The aroma reminded me of sweet feed and distillers grain, which is very pleasant to me being a farm boy. Stayed lit after the initial false light. Tasted sweet with a bit of saltiness, then I had the sensation in my mouth I get from a fine brewed cup of Irish tea. Almost a numbing effect. This is how I judge tea and it also has appeal to me in my smoking tobacco. the nicotine punch was not overwhelming but still there. I would tell anyone who wishes to try an English type tobacco that their experience would be greatly highlighted with Presbyterian Mixture.

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (7)

I really like this tobacco. It became one of my favorite companions on recent winter walks through the snow with my aging hound and trusted sandblasted billiards (Balkans taste best in sandblasted pipes don't you know!).

Popping a new tin, I was very disappointed with the lack of Latakia, and during my first few bowls, was preoccupied with trying to detect it in the smoke, which I'm sure hampered my enjoyment of this blend. Once I gave up looking for the Latakia I really started to enjoy what was there, Orientals of exceptional quality, married beautifully with good Virginias... and a very light, smooth and constant dose of Latakia. It's no lat-bomb, but it's a great tasting and consistent smoke from start to finish Its wonderful stuff and I shall be buying some for the cellar.

Quincy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quincy (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this solely because I am a Presbyterian Minister and well, it would have been heresy not to try. I love it. I love, love, love, love it. I'm mainly an aromatic smoker but holy smokes. Something about the taste reminds me of my undergraduate days studying theology in Vermont. It's a leafy, Fall smell and taste. After a rough Session meeting or Presbytery meeting, I'll pack this up on my way home and just relax. It's heavenly. I can see how, just like our denomination, it isn't for everyone. However, it certainly is for me. I never want to be without it. The only downside is my wife doesn't like this one smoked in the house. I wait until she's asleep or not at home on cold days when I don't want to sit in the garage.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

I love the aroma out of the tin and enjoy very much smoking it. What else can I say great tobacco.

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (7)

Tin had about a year and a half on it before I popped it. No reason other than I got distracted by other blends and found this in the stash sitting as pretty as a picture. Open it up, and it's sweet and sour all at once. No expert by any means - I can't say what leaves are doing what. Whatever is happening, I like it. I love the sweet and sour combination that plays back and forth in the nose and on the palate. Can have a tendency to burn a little hot and scorch the tongue. That's about the only thing that I can think of as a drawback. My tin needs just a bit of air before burning properly, but nothing too drastic. Not an amazing tobacco for me - but definitely not bad. I'll keep a tin around for a change of pace.

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Having smoked aromatics before, it took me a few days or weeks to become acquainted with this beautiful beast, and it is a good idea to try in in different pipes. It gave me a tongue burn in a small Medico pipe, it behaved well in a Ukrainian pear root, and it gave off a nice cool smoke and a scrumptious flavour in a Denicotea. Now that I've finished the tin and am smoking an ARO again, I feel like missing a friend.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

When you open the tin you are greeted by a heavenly whiff but don't put your nose too far in as it can be overpowering. I could just sit with the tin open sometimes.

The VA gives this a nice sweetness on the tongue. If there is latakia in it then it is a different kind of latakia, I am thinking this is not cased there is just some fermentation of one of the tobaccos ( I like to think that anyway!).

It finishes with a nice spicy sensation all over the tongue.

This is my favourite so far!; I'm a Nightcap and Squadron Leader lover and I would place this on top because it tastes good, satisfies my nicotine habit, smells great unlit, has a very pleasant room note and I can imagine I'm way back when being the Prime Minister of our wonderful UK - I can't give her up lord. It's unholily good!

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)

Beautiful tin, the tobacco inside is covered by a plastic bag in place of regular paper. Strange presentation, but maybe it dries slower this way. Nice smell, a mix of Virginia and Orientals. Latakia? Not sure, but the smoke is exceptionally cool. Albeit it's on the damp side, no drying needed, it is still good right out of the tin. It produces very full-bodied, rich smoke. Interesting and really original taste, do not know to what to compare it. Reminiscent of EMP - but in a nobler version. Aftertaste is peppery - salty – sweet.

Don't know if it worth conversion to Presbyterianism, but I'll definitely order more tins. This tobacco is unique, out of the common.

Scot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scot (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The aroma of opening the tin... rotting fruit, raisins, figs, a barnyard ripeness? However you describe it, anything that smells like this has to smoke like a champ and I wasn't disappointed. It is a blend that deserves all of your attention while sitting in a big leather chair or the porch on a calm day. The leathery/smokey room note is actually appreciated by the domestic commandant and she never complains when it's time to buy more... how great is that?

It seems to work in all my pipes anytime of day or night. The kick is smooth and makes the back of your eyes warm, provides a gentle spin and makes the world seem a lot better than it probably is. There is a reason this is a hall of fame inductee...I will never run out of this.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This a good mixture, cool taste and flavour, but it lacks of some "complexity".

Over the controversy about the presence of Latakia. In the newer cans, tins of this tobacco,the manufacturer said that is an:

"Mellow blend of US-Virgina tobaccos and hight quality Macedonian grades - exclusive,aristocratic pipe mixture."

Therefore,based on this description,it is not a true, or is not a complete "English" mixture, because it not have Oriental tobaccos or Latakia, only Virginia and Macedonian.

However,based on their flavour and taste, for me, Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia! But I remember that the Macedonian Tobacco is a kind of Greek Latakia.

I have in Mind that this Tobacco can be smoked very slowly and only in small quantities, not full bowl, since seems that is very strong and it contains a very large ammount of Nicotine.

an excelent mixture, fully recommended. Also, Presbyterian is now a benchmark between the English Mixtures and is classic, Legendary

Over the years, I've written many harsh words about Stanley Baldwin the politician. I must say, however, he smoked a very nice mixture in his cherrywood pipe if this was his every day blend (or at least what he smoked when posing with his pipe). I prefer just a touch of Latakia when it's present at all, and in a wide bowl there is just a tad too much for me, but in taller bowls the orientals really take center stage, with the Latakia providing just the right amount of support. A nice contemplative smoke outside on a cool day.

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I have a theory about this blend, to explain the disparity in reviews and the great Latakia schism in our congregation.

When this blend is mixed, the Latakia, being somewhat heavier, sinks to the bottom, leaving the lighter Orientals on top. When tinned, some cans will have almost no Latakia, and the cans from the bottom of the batch will have a fair amount.

Despite the occasional inconsistency from tin-to-tin, I love this stuff, especially on a sunny day on the boat. I smoke it all day long. Presby is good with Scotch or beer. Some folks even smoke it sober. I don't recommend that.

Sometimes I go a little overboard on it, but the ladies do love the smell of Presby!

Stagecoach Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stagecoach (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

They say this is one of the benchmarks of a classic English blend. I find it a great mild,contemplative smoke. Upon opening the tin your greeted by a plastic bag which has the tobacco inside, the sweetness of Virginias,tempered by a nice dash of Orientals and a smidgen of Latakia,it is a tad damp so I recommend you dry it a while and use a pipe fitted with a 9mm filter system. This is an easy to pack,light and smoke baccy that doesn't burn the tonge.if you take it easy. Not that easy to get hold of,so let's hope it doesn't go the way of Balkan Sobranie. O highly reccomend this blend as I think its quite true to the original blend.

palm springs piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
palm springs piper (12)

Nice English, with nice virginias, nice orientals, latakia (really?). Starts mild and procedes to moderate inoffensively. Others have said the room note is similar to incense, but I don't get it. If you are looking for a doctinal statement or firm conviction look elsewhere. Perhaps it should be called Unitarian Mitxure. Pleasant enough for the work day, but not for a contemplative smoke. No revelations will be forthcoming, the age of miracles is past. This Episcopalian likes to get a chance to smoke a Presbyterian from time to time.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium Mild Medium Strong

An average English-type blend. I find it very dry with a rough edge to it. The flavour is a bit harsh and doesn't make for a cool good smoke. Not one of my favorites.

I'm always looking to hearing from other pipe-smokers, so pop me a mail and we can share our experiences.

dickerjason@gmail.com

South Africa

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An absolute favorite. Medium-full english with a beautiful balance of all the components. Nothing vies for attention, but everything adds. I have a stack of tins in the cellar. Probably oughtta get more...

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

I've smoked loads of Balkans and love the blend genera. It's hard to pinpoint how, but Presbyterian has a subtle flavor, though not unique in a Balkan, somehow smokes uniquely. Though it is similar to many of the other blends, it consistently delivers just the right amount, of one particular note from the Balkan taste profile, that appeals to me (the front note of olive/smokey butter). It doesn't dry your mouth out due to the Latakia, as some of the really tasty Balkans can. It bites a bit if you are on a short pipe and/or puffing hard. The nicotine is medium and I have it marked as a daytime Balkan. I enjoy the fact that it's a classic and if treated right, has a very satisfying taste.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Hi all,

I have been smoking this blend for the last few weeks and have to say i enjoy it. I find it easy on the palette and very easy to smoke.

Never before have i ever experienced a blend where the Latakia is so muted. This confused me greatly as i do not know what to compare it to nor how to class it.

Whatever it is, i do enjoy it as a change of pace, all day smoke. It behaves very well in the pipe after lots of drying and the base tobaccos are of good quality.

EDIT. Never before has a blend grown on me like this blend has. I have grown to really really enjoy it and find myself smoking this all day, everyday. I would go as far as saying that 8 out of 10 bowls i smoke these days is Presbyterian.

This blend is the least pipe picky of any blend i have smoked. Its always consistently brilliant.

As the day goes on, i get pipes with wider bowls. This gets the strength up.

Ok, after many many bowls in many different pipes, i am confident that there is no Latakia in this mix. The Orientals and High Quality Virginias are masterfully blended, my highest compliments to the blender. The marriage of these tobaccos in this blend makes for a delicious mixture.

This blend reminds me of the real Balkan Sobranie in that it leaves a scent in the room that is incense like. Fantastic stuff.

Bumped from 3 to 4 stars.

Mo, South Africa Helderberg40@gmail.com

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The problem with reviewing this tobacco is that if you have had Red Rapparee from Rattrays, you will be disappointed with Pesby. The flavors here are all subtle and smoking slowly is the best way to achieve satisfaction. The blend tends to be understated in that the component tobaccos do not weave in and out as gracefully as they could. I believe that the strength of the blend takes away from the whole. If more substantive and character driven tobaccos were used, it would be terrific. As it is, there is no reason to smoke this if RRR is available to you.

On the other hand, if you are a smoker who prefers the light blends that have some nice flavor, and you are not a fan of nicotine, then you are in business. This would fit the bill for beginners in the english genre as well. The blend should be respected though, so do not smoke quickly, or hot. This will bite like a pit bull if you abuse it. Not to mention that it will lose all character if smoked hot.

Cheers!

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)

Opened the tin with the usual hiss of air going into the vaccum but the contents were dryer than the Simpson desert. How could the moisture escape if the seal was still good? The plastic bag inside was not sealed so it wouldnt do much. Must have been sealed ultra dry. Couldnt really taste much of the pipe i smoked. Will rehydrate some and hopefully up the score (minus 10 for quality control though). Very disappointed. Would return to retailer if they werent on the other side of the planet. This is in the hall of fame???

I'm assuming that the german writing inside the tin says something along the lines of that i'm a dumb foriegner and not worthy of such good tobacco so we took it out, laughed as we smoked it and then put this rubbish in instead. Enjoy! My tin says made in the EU.

Update: rehydrating and then siting for several months has brought this back. My opinion now is that of an reasonable balkan but not as good as many such as GLP Kensington. I would probably rate this three stars normally but due to the completely dry nature from the tin i'll give it two.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I really wanted to like this blend! It lacks in complexity, it's too wet even after sitting months in an unsealed tin. It's only claim to fame is that it fools a lot of folks into thinking there is Latakia in the blend. There's nothing wrong with an English blend lacking Latakia, but the rest of the tobaccos need to really stand out and that just doesn't happen in PM. Two stars for historical relevance .

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)

I find this to be a very good blend. It lights well, stays lit easily enough and burns down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl. I find this has a very nice room note. It doesn't knock you on your behind with too much Vitamin N, but is just right. Highly recommended.

bish777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bish777 (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Mild, sweet virginia with a hint of tart latakia, very pleasant tobacco, easy to light, easy to keep lit and no bite at all.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a wonderful blend and it is obvious why it has stood the test of time. Very similar to Dunhills EMP but I find this smoother with the orientals a shade less prominent.Unusual presentation in a plastic bag in the tin- I found this really helped keep the moisture level perfect. Room note is not unpleasant. I could smoke this all day very easily. I can see that it may not be strong enough for some people and the flavour is pretty uniform throughout but this is not trying to be an overly complex blend. It leaves a delicious taste on tongue and always leaves me wanting more at the end of the bowl. Perfect with a glass of cold beer when watching newsnight and contemplating issues of state ! Highly recommended.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Each to his own; I see that some people love Presbyterian Mixture. Personally, I can't see much in it. It's a very bland English mixture, and I found that it burned hot and quickly: the flavour is so bodiless that you can't help puffing hard to try to find some substance in it. I'm not a Latakia freak by any means, but a decent English mixture ought to have more in it than this. Tobaccos are sometimes described in these reviews as one dimensional. This one doesn't have any dimensions at all to speak of. Stanley Baldwin smoked it? Yes: it sort of puts me in mind of the dull, dreary and respectable 1930s. I guess I'm just not a Conservative. If our American friends don't quite get what I mean, think Calvin Coolidge: ordinary and incurably bourgeois. It's an old blend that has survived the horrors of extermination to which so many old blends have succumbed. If only for that reason, it must be worth a try, and palates more subtle than mine clearly enjoy it. Not for me, but I'll give it two stars. It's not horrible; just rather dull.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

Didn't care for this at all. Harsh, hot and what little flavor I found reminded me of smoldering rubber. I know many love this blend and I'm sorry to trash it but these are my honest impressions of this one. Horrid.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

This is a good one. The orientals are spicy and delicate, if smoked too fast you miss out on the 'niceness'. There is a perfect level of nicotine, but I did notice it seems to burn a little faster than everything else. I couldn't taste any latakia, but the virginias seem to compliment the rest of it.

This gives me the impression of a posh smoke, like what the queen's husband would smoke with a white glove and a top hat. I had 'one of those smokes' with Presbyterian on my back verandah..... I like this and I will buy more.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I"ll get to the point quick since this blend has been reviewed extensively, the latakia and virginias inter play almost on every puff the orientals provide a little bit of spice more towards the last third of the pipe, the nicotine is about right on this one for me, the room note is tolerable, in the latakia spectrum this is almost to me a morning mix by this I mean do not expect a latakia bomb, subtlety is the intention on this one, probably created originally to be smoked all day without distracting the smoker. Would I buy Presbyterian yes...but is not something that I would actively try to stock it in the cellar, there's nothing in it that makes it stand out from the competition. (My tin has been sitting on the cellar since Oct. 2003)

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)

Being a staunch Lutheran, I was a bit cautious to try such a Calvinistic blend. :) However, I find I like it a great deal. The Latakia is there but not overly pronounced. I tasted very little sweetness in it, but there is a bit of spice which causes tingling on the tongue. It isn't very complex and the flavor is consistent throughout the bowl. It is a comfortable smoke overall and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. An old classic that I recommend--but not to the novice.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Got this one because of the history of it. I've had my original tin I bought a couple years ago and it isn't any better now than when I first smoked it. It has a unique taste that I just can't get my head around. Nah.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

A mild/medium english blend that produces a creamy not in your face smoke. I too found that this blend does better if you give it time to breathe fresh air for about 10mins or so before packing. After reading some of the reviews here I was a little timid to give this blend a smell out of the tin, but can now share that its not an aweful smell just one that its either a win or lose depending on who you are. (Reminded me of high grade cattle feed) and thats not a bad thing, so to each their own in that department. Overall its a cool smoking medium to light English that will make a nice change up if your looking to mix things up from your everyday.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Excellent blend and exactly what I expected: A mixture with orientals front and center, good Virginia influence, and a wisp, just a barely detectable wisp of Latakia.

I would not smoke this every day, it might get boring, but perfect for a bowl or two a week. Now, if you are a fan of Virginia based blends you should definitely give this a try. I mainly smoke Balkans with a lot of oriental and Latakia, but I wanted to try something with just a wisp of Latakia, this fit the bill perfectly.

I did not have any issues with moisture content though this blend will definitely benefit from a few minutes of air time.

While I would not buy this again it is still an excellent blend not to be missed, it's just not completely suitable to my palate like, say, GL Pease Abingdon (my all time favorite) is.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The tin aroma here is overripe fruit and warm cereal grains, baked goodies, raw pineapple, rubber, hard cider, leather, Japanese plum wine and a faded specters of the scents of camphor and sulfur. Interesting scents, all muddled with the nearly lost Virginia and the more present Macedonian Turkish tobaccos. Not the most typical tin aroma for a traditional Oriental blend, but that is what we have here. Sweet, salt-air freshness of the Turkish is easily distinguished through it all,

No trouble packing, lights ok. Nice burn, no worries.

Tin description says “Mellow blend of US-Virginia tobaccos and high-quality Macedonian grades - exclusive, aristocratic pipe mixture.”. I agree with most of that, I'm not sure what they mean by “exclusive” and I find it more quaint than “aristocratic”. But it IS a mellow-ish blend of Virginia and Macedonian Oriental tobaccos. (no Latakia)

Virginias add mellow cured grains, dusty hayloft tones, saddle leather and muted sweetness as a toasty background. But the Oriental leaf steals the show. Sweet, sour, peppery spice, sea salt, and raw green olives - all these Oriental flavors take their turn floating through the Virginia's sweet atmosphere. Descent nicotine, cool smoking, mellow but full favored. There are better straight Oriental blends out there, but I like this stuff. I'd like to try this blend with a healthy dose of Xanthi added for a little more sweetness and complexity.

Still, this blend is smooth and very pleasant, I could easily smoke this stuff all day. More like “comfort food” than a gourmet meal - which is just fine with me. Easy to smoke, easy to enjoy - 4 Stars.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My preference is for Virginias and VaPers. I am quite picky about English blends. So it has taken me a long time to get around to this one.

I understand that PM is now blended by Planta in Berlin. It is only this most recent incarnation that I have the pleasure of knowing. It is so well-crafted, I can not imagine that the original was this good.

The Latakia is evident, though applied with a light touch. The Oriental leaf defines the blend and gives it a unique character. Although it has a strong floral taste, the Macedonian is included in just the right amounts. I suspect that this Oriental leaf is what many mistake for a casing. But any added flavoring is so subtle that it escapes my unsophisticated palate.

Nicotine is on the high side of medium. When dry, it burns faster and gives a bigger nic hit, and tastes just as good.

This is a great every-day Oriental!

This blend, concocted for a Presbyterian and named by a Conservative, is equally at home in the pipe of this Anglo-Catholic Socialist.

Addendum: I've had the pleasure of smoking some 10-years-old tins, also made in Germany. Either the Orientals lose some flavor with aging, or the recipe has changed. The new tins are more sweet and floral. The older stuff is more smokey, and seems heavier with Latakia. I prefer the new stuff.

It may be heresy, but I believe that this Mixture is at least the equal of Penzance, and certainly easier to come by.

I don't believe in Predestination, but I do believe it is the Grace of God that has led me to this Epiphany.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

I just had to try this because, well, I am a Presbyterian.

I wish I had liked it more. Awesome fragrance out of the tin - figgy and dark fruit, but overly moist - wouldn't stay lit and just tasted strong with no particular flavor dimension. The burning qualities improved after drying a bit and with that slightly more flavor came through, but still pretty one-dimensional to my taste - mostly just strong and ashy. Perhaps an earlier version of this blend was better, but the tin I got was not worth the trouble or the price.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This might be the blend that converts me from aromatics to English baccy. The taste is exotic and yet not harsh. It leaves a nice after taste (wine connoisseurs would say it "finishes well"). My wife didn't particularly like the room note but she didn't find it terribly objectionable. Everyone ought to try this blend at least once. Even if it isn't loved by everyone it is hated by very few.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Works for me. A slightly sweet, mild English is how I categorise it, spicyness from the latakia, a little sweetness from something else in there. Tingly or nippy rather than bitey, it contains the all important (for me) Vitamin N in decent amounts. Can be puffed into oblivion pretty quickly in a small bowl.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm smoking it as I write this: So what can I say about it? It's really wet in the tin but a few minutes drying time solves any problems with it going out. In the tin it smells like old dung - thankfully it does not taste like old dung, not that I have ever tasted dung. Instead it tastes of Latakia and that is the problem with this tobacco: It's one dimensional. The Latakia dominates the Virginia and Orientals, and sadly that is it right down to the bottom of the bowl. It's also high on nicotine, too high for the first smoke of the day. So it's not an everyday smoke for me, it's just something for an occasional change and nicotine blast.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Sometimes, only a dark, smoky, spicy, deeply satisfying blend will do. Woodsy, smoky, like a campfire in your pipe! Very rich, very full. I love Presbyterian blend!

UPDATE: I recently bought another tin of Presby Blend because I enjoyed the first one so much. Maybe I got a bad tin, or maybe my body chemistry has changed, but I didn't enjoy this second tin nearly as much as the first. What once seemed leathery, spicy and complex now seems bland, flat, almost cigarette-like. I may try another tin just to see if the problem is with me or the blend, but there are lots of other great English blends out there for less money. Reducing review to three stars.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)

Quaintessential typically delicious English blend.

I think of it as, "High Class Walnut". Room Note: Light, warm, and spicy. Flavor is Virginia prominent, peppery Perique noticable, and Oriental/Macedonian spicy. I taste honey tones of Greek Barsa. Strength is mild. My opinion, as this was fresh, that it would be considerably nicer when cellared and aged, to a dry product. Sipping is the way to bring out the sweet and mild tones. Absolutely zero tongue bite.

To start the New Year off correctly for 2011, I smoked Presbyterian Mixture in a 1959 Pre-Comoy Archer's #9438 Rhodesian in Brown "Blonde" Ebony. Superb!

My spirit was immediately uplifted and my morale brought high. I had even contemplated having my wife for breakfast, but she was too busy making prune faces and complaining. The mellow richness of smoke, in my mouth, refused to permit my good mood to be rendered low.

The very first time I smoked Presbyterian Mixture was in 1978, after a dinner of mutton, at Keen's Steakhouse in New York City (Manhattan, E.36 Street off of 6th Avenue?) and the memory of an expensive but delicious and filling dinner, returned. A clay Churchwarden was the instrument of choice at Keen's.

I like dark Burley tobacco, or full bodied Balkan blends, so I rate Presbyterian Mixture at 3-stars. You certainly will not be disappointed.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Presbytarian has a plum-like aroma to it. is there some Perique added?

I am not sure, however, that there is Latakia...But this debate has been going on for a while about this tobacco.

This mixture is not strong by all means, is tasty and rich, and is another great option with Rattray's 7 reserve for anyone wishing to venture into English Blends.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I am a novice pipe smoker & prefer aromatics but bought a tin of this because of the recommendations here & of other pipe smokers. The smell of this tobacco in the tin is one every horse owner recognizes, its the smell of urine soaked hay like when you are mucking out a stall, just no ammonia. I was a bit hesitant but went ahead and loaded up my pipe. Its a bit wet but nothing an aromatic smoker isn't used to. Can be a bother to keep lit, drying it out a bit would surely help. The taste of this tobacco is wonderful, it is very "woodsie" like everyone says, almost like smoking a forest floor. I liked it very much. No tongue bite and a decent room note. Not sure what perique or oriental tastes like but I really really enjoyed the flavor of this blend. Probably not something I will smoke all the time but will definitely keep it on hand. For novice smokers or "aromatic only" peoples, this is a fun blend and well worth the money. One warning though, like most tobaccos this leaves it's "scent" in a pipe but this one is VERY STRONG. You might wanna make sure you can dedicate a pipe to Presbyterian if you plan on smoking much of this.

firelightguitarist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firelightguitarist (4)

This was my first aromatic blend, and it was a little overpowering at first. I'm getting used to it, though, and it may become one of my favorites. Excellent with lemonade and/or dark chocolate (in my opinion).

Mackle R Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mackle R (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin 2 days ago. Im nearly through the whole tin now. Very unique note in the tin. Reminds me of peat moss or old wet mulch. Some have said wet leather. Seems a touch wet in the tin, yet I dont have any trouble with it in the bowl. Tried it after drying a bit and it seems very close to the same experience right out of the tin. The first bowl didnt grab my attention to be honest. The second bowl exposed a very interesting dusty sour taste. Then the sweetness comes in and balances the sour. I love this stuff. It doesnt remind me of an English blend. Its just very unique. It will grow on some people and Im sure some will hate it.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a lesser version of Early Morning Pipe. By lesser I mean less flavorful, and milder. Also, despite its name, I felt neither virtuous nor thrifty while smoking it.

Perhaps I judged this too harshly at first, and this could be due to the fact that the tobacco arrives wet. Not damp, wet. The tin encloses a clear plastic bag of tobacco rather than the customary paper lining, and perhaps this keeps the tobacco overmoist.

The tin note is delicious: it smells of damp, and of dark fruit, and that sort of musty Oriental-ness. I detect no Latakia in the tin note, but some dark strands are visible among the lighter melange of beiges and browns. Whether these dark strands are stoved Virginias or the Latakia which some detect I just don't know.

Damp and straight from the tin, the tobacco provided a singularly unrewarding experience. On some drying out, I found the rough edges smoothed out, and the flavor perked up a bit. Some drying out caused this to burn cooler, and revealed a mellow, musty smoke that, if unremarkable, is also agreeable.

Pleasantly unremarkable after drying. Straight from the tin, less pleasantly unremarkable.

ewlewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlewis (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has become my go to blend for quite some time now. Many may complain of the weak nature that it holds, which is accurate, however, if you take your time this blend will spill its enjoyment right onto your palette.

If you are looking for a big hitting Latakia baccy, then you should look elsewhere. This is much more of an all day smoker. The type that you can smoke as you work and you will be pleased, but if you slow down you enjoy it even more.

Out of the tin the Latakia and Orientals do hit you, but in a good way. The pack is wonderful and the lighting can be tough at times. I do not allow it to dry, but others may prefer to. Overall, if you have not tried this blend you must do so immediately.

8.16.2011: Just wanted to add at this time that now my rotation of Presby is at 18 months of age. At this point I can say that the tobacco has improved. The VA's have matured and their sweetness compliments the Orientals quite nicely.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is mostly virginia/ burley with a fleating amount of latakia and touch of orientals. This can be nice at times. When smoked very slowly, it is very sweet and delectable. The flavor can be fleeting, however, and many a time a grew disapointed with it.

jymevans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jymevans (2)

[This is my first review so go easy on me.. lol] I am used to aromatic tobaccos, so this was my first venture out to the English blends. I saw the name and wanted to get it since I myself am Presbyterian (Christian).

I thought it was out of my price range, but after I logged on here and read some of these reviews I was sold.

So when I opened it for the first time, [I had never smelled this kind of tobacco before].. it instantly made my mouth water. It was a Gentle light and never went out. The taste really took a few puffs but then I was introduced to a full woodsey flavor that I have been reading about. This is my new favorite tobacco and will be smoked on special occasion (like every Sunday!)

I was predestinated to smoke this tobacco. (Reformed Presbyterians will get the joke)

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Presbyterian Mixture that I purchased is blended in Germany for William P. Solomon of London. I found it a little unusual that it was wrapped in plastic inside the tin, but this did not seem to affect the taste or texture. Tobacco was moist and fresh upon opening – just the way I like it. Wish I knew what it said on the cover note – but I don't read (or speak) German. The aroma upon opening the tin is slightly musty with smells of leather and hay. I cannot tell if Latakia is included or not – I just know that I like this tobacco! The cut of the tobacco is a long, thin, and stringy ribbon cut. I came across several stems in my tin. The blend packs well without any difficulties. The first light was quick and even. This tobacco burned sort of medium fast and left a fine gray ash. Burns cool and I did not experience any bite. I had to do the typical slight pack and relight after the first lighting. The room note is similar to other mild English blends and is tolerable to pleasant. The flavor of Presbyterian Mixture is nutty, dusty, and leather-like, a good balance between sweet and the sour. While not overly characteristic, this tobacco is a smooth and relaxing smoke that qualifies as an all day mild English smoke. I liked the mildness of this smoke as a break from other tobaccos that I smoke. I put this one on my “Morning Smoke” list with “Good Morning” and “Chelsea Morning”. I plan to keep this in my rotation!

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As stated Presbyterian is very moist out of the tin and hard to keep lit. No surprise here as many tobacs are as such. The smoke was pleasant but not note worthy. This blend is one that I might say "hey, I haven't had that in a long time, think I'll order some" but that is the extent of it. It is, however, nice to smoke and especially when you think about the story behind the blend. Nice tobac but nothing to rave about.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

What we have here is definitely nothing to write home about. I was very disappointed with this one, maybe I got a bad batch? Upon opening, the tobacco was way to moist for my liking and I had trouble keeping it lit, even when airing it out. The flavor is not bad but at the same time it's not anything special and I would recommend Balkan Sasieni or Proper English for your full bodied needs before you go putting faith into this blend. For the price, this one is a dud!

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

I saw this in a local shop and grabbed it out of curiosity. Upon opening the tin you get a very strong earthy/leathery smell it instantly reminded me of Squadron Leader but stronger.

It lights very easy and smokes fantastic. It has a very cool taste with hints of sweetness which is great for sitting back and relaxing.

The downside ... After lighting this my wife promply said.. 'What in gods name are you smoking? That stinks!' Some of my work colleagues gave the same reaction at break times.

This really is a nice smoke and I would recommend it but be warned about the room note.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Mine says : "Mellow blend of US-Virginia tobaccos and high-quality Macedonian grades-exclusive, aristocratic pipe mixture." I smelled Latakia when I opened the tin, though I left it to dry on the balcony with the window open over night and smoke it in the morning. It is indeed a mellow tobacco with a balanced taste, not too punchy and not to shabby. I recommend it, but not over Dunhill Mixtures.

gj Michelob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gj Michelob (4)

I have been inevitably intrigued by the description of this blend claiming ancient and noble roots. I finally received a tin a few days ago.

I was disappointed that the tin's graphics are no longer printed on the metal but attached as a more banal adhesive label. It is the inexorable symptom of the tobacco's market's pains and uncertainties.

I have been smoking three bowls a day of Balkan Sansieni –which I love-. Hence, I expected a more defined and fragrant flavor form the Presbyterian Mixture. In fact, I am not pleased with the two bowls I tried. However, I recognize the compromising danger of laying the heavy burden of “expectation” on anything, and the distorted perception it may cause. I will leave the tin stored properly for a few more weeks and try it with a more earth-bound spirit. However, I can report that it is milder and lighter than Balkan Sansieni –a good comparative measure I would reckon given how ubiquitous it is-. I mean milder in strength, flavor, nicotine, room note and aftertaste, in a fashion which does not allow me to recommend it, particularly as I realize many will, as I did, fall for the intriguing presentation and blend "name", so handsomely suited for a pipe tobacco. Great marketing in itself, really... however, so far, it seems to me that is all there is to it.

I will report further, in due course.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

Presby is tasty, nicely balanced, and fairly complex, and while it's light in Latakia, it's full of flavor, with the core Oriental the key ingredient and supported nicely by the aged Virginias. This is in the same ballpark as SG's Skiff and EMP, although a bit creamier than the latter.

The tin reads "Air Tight" on the side, and when you pop it open, you'll see the tobacco wrapped in a clear plastic baggy of sorts -- an unusual presentation, but very effective, because this is the moistest stuff I have yet to receive. And that's fine by me.

Highly recommended and worthy of its higher price.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)

i love to smoke english mixtures! Sometimes I am in a mood to have a long and gentle smoke in a xl bowl, while I work or when I just sit on my porch. Old Dublin is my standard on this occasion but PM comes in very frequently now because the nicotine in this tobacco is not as heavy as in OD or 965. There is nothing to say about quality standards, always top notch. Latakia is there but this is more or less a good va tobacco with a good kick of latakia in it, that makes the working man happy. This said, I recommend it to everybody who likes to taste an english mixture for the first time.

Jevanf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevanf (1)

It's unfortunate that this is billed as a blend for "beginners with English tobaccos", as it sort of implies only beginners can enjoy it. I find this to be a very tasty blend that I have been returning to as my first choice since opening, competing with a wide range highly regarded tobaccos on the shelf.

This blend contains a hefty amount of oriental tobacco, and I find it similar in some ways to the Pease blends Cairo and Chelsea Morning, which I like for their oriental content. There is a fullness in Presbyterian that is lacking from Cairo, and the Latakia in CM shifts the taste to something different, something more artificial like incense. I like all three blends, but it's remarkable that Presbyterian (in my opinion) beats them at their own games. Both Cairo and CM are very highly rated on this board, so very low marks appearing for Presbyterian I think should be perhaps ignored if you like Cairo and CM.

I find myself wanting to ask Greg Pease what he thinks of Presbyterian, as it seems he's aiming in this direction with a number of his blends.

People say this is too moist as received. I have smoked it as received and dried, and I actually had slightly easier time packing and keeping it lit in the moist condition.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)

Interesting mixture that I would consider an Oriental if it wasn't for the small amount of Latakia being present. Nice flavor, not pretentious by any means. Good for a change of pace or an all day tobacco.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I recently picked up a tin at a little over $16.00 for 50 grams. Not worth the price. Nothing special about it to make me fall in love with it. It's a bland English, maybe that's what appeals to some. We all have different tastes, and since tobacco is a very objective thing I can't say the other reviews are wrong. I guess it's in the Hall of Fame because it's been around for a very long time with some history. For the price I can pick up 10oz of Northwoods and enjoy myself for a long time.

Square Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Square (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was long a standby smoke for me, but the last tin I popped, which also happened to be my first tin which identified itself as blended by Kohlhase & Kopp, was nothing like my dear old Presbyie. It had none of the oriental complexity - my old friend had been kidnapped and replaced by a bland, Danish-style Cavendish. I'm still trying to get the traces of the impostor out of that pipe. Someone please tell me I'm wrong - surely K-und-K haven't ruined a venerable old blend??

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I'm afraid I'm with DeadMensPipes on this one. Tin aroma promised more than the pipe delivers. This may be a good beginner's English, but I would not a good judge of that. Not that there is anything wrong with this blend; I just prefer more punch in my pipe. As evidence of this, Presbyterian Mixture is the first blend in a LONG time to sear my tongue as I pulled far too much trying to coax more from the smoke. More than it has to give, I'm sorry to say. My tin will not go to waste. My father prefers lighter English than I..a perfect gift. For a beginner's English I prefer Cornell and Diehl's Stratfordshire.

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that hasn't been said about this wonderful mixture? I have been smoking pipes seriously for around ten years now and have usually had a tin of this laying around. I love it. It is not for those who dislike English blends however....the tin note will scare off aromatic fans I'm afraid. But, if you like a sophisticated smoke....give this one a try.

I'm Presbyterian, and I approve of this blend :O)

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This famous tobacco I think deserves its repute. This is a great oriental and virginia blend with a nice strength, sweet, cool, comfortably and very tasty smoke.

The Latakia like flavor adds it also a mistery and makes from this blend a different experience for the smoker. I highly recommend it especially for the beginners who searches for an effortless English mixture smoke.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)

Now that I've gotten through half of my tin, I think I can make an OK review of Presbyterian Mixture. This is probably the most "nuanced" tobacco that I have smoked to date, so here it goes...

I bought the tin because I couldn't resist the name, and the picture. No, I'm not a Presbyterian. I'm a solid Reformed Baptist, but I appreciate good Christian tradition, which includes both doctrine and tobacco. Upon opening the tin I was greeting by a delightful aroma. It's strong, earthy, hay-like, musty, and smells faintly of latakia (I'll address that later). The tobacco was slightly moist to touch, but that seems normal for virginia-based tobaccos that are tinned. So I let mine dry for about 15-20 minutes before smoking.

Packing this stuff is a dream, as its a nice long ribbon cut. The Frank Method works well too with this stuff (just make sure you resist the urge to tamp!). I can get through an entire bowl of PM with just one pipe cleaner, so it smokes fairly dry. It smokes very cool too, as long as you don't treat it like a cigarette.

Now to the flavor. I'll be honest here, I wish the flavor was stronger, they're way too subtle for me. The aroma of the tin was so strong, and then you light it up, and the flavor is nuanced and subtle. It isn't bland or mild by any stretch of the imagination, it just isn't very strong. The virginias are top notch, and the tasty orientals definitely make their presence known. As to whether or not there's latakia in this blend, well, I honestly don't know. It smells like there is, but I don't taste it, I really don't. And if pipestud says it isn't there, then I trust it isn't there ;0)

I'm going to buy another tin of PM eventually and age it for a few years, to see if I enjoy the blend more that way. Otherwise, I don't think it will stay in my regular rotation. In my opinion, PM would taste even better if the virginias were a little more dominant, so I think some aging should help out in that area, we'll see...

TylerAddisonJ13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TylerAddisonJ13 (1)

My all-time favorite "go-to" blend. Presbyterian is a nice mixture of virginias and oriental. Its smell hints at Latakia, but as I've heard, there isn't actually any in it. It smokes dry and long. Not too strong (I don't feel the nicotine at all), and it's perfect for any time of day. It's a bit moist, so setting it out for 10 minutes prior to smoking would be a wise decision.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Chronologically, I am not sure which incarnation of the original blends came first, Balkan Sobranie white or Presbyterian. Leading towards the modern day versions of both one would guess that they are somewhat similar, perhaps a distant relation. This is not to say that Presbyterian is a Sobranie take or vice vera; however, they are both in the same ballpark. Which is rather pleasing at least compared to the so-call Sobranie replacements. Balkan Sasieni comes to mind which is not even close to Sobranie in my view, despite the Sobraniesque packaging.

Presbyterian stands firmly on its own as an excellent tobacco, blended to perfection. One would think that this would burn a tad hot due to the cut and the quite visible Virginia, not so at all. Upon opening one is greeting with a very heady aroma slightly compost, which I really like. A tad on the moist side, but nothing a bit of fluff and waiting 10 minutes cannot fix.

Most tins are on the moist side. The blending houses are wise to do so, otherwise the oleoresins would dry out and the tobacco could easily be kaput. Best to leave the moisture management up to the individual doing the combustion.

Presbyterian packs very well, needing a bit more of a gentle touch. No Latakia which makes this quite interesting. The expert blending of the orientals yield a very distinctive and unique smoky flavour and a slight smoky aroma too. As you work your way down the bowl the notes get a tad deeper and the flavours a bit more intricate. It never turns on you as some other orientals tend to do, likely a symptom of inferior leaves or non-diligent blenders.

All in all, a very complex smoke that evolves quite nicely, yet not too demanding. For folks who care about the strength category, it does have a respectable nicotine content, but not a Saturn V booster.

Highly recommended, might be every ones cup of tea, but for those whom are Balkan or English devotees, have a bowl of peaceable pleasure. Please do feel the guilt about enjoying this. Also no music allowed, just reverent silence.

Lex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lex (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Greetings,

1 I tried Presbyterian Mixture 13 years ago when i first took up pipe smoking.

1.5 I did not care for it at all it was much too strong.

2 Well I ordered another can of it and it came in last week and I really enjoyed the flavors and the room note is very nice also.

3 Anyway I guess that my tastes must be changing I really love a great "people pleaser"aromatic however this will remain in my tobacco collection.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has a pleasant aroma in the tin but doesn't quite deliver in the flavor department for me. I find this similar to Smokers' Haven In-B-Tween mixture and SG Skiff mixture, both of which have a little Latakia and a little more flavor. A quality blend, just not my bowl of weed. 6 of 10 stars.

Drlawgr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drlawgr (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

IMO this smoke is bad. I just bought it because I saw the reviews here, but it's disgusting... when I opened the tin, the smell was that of a leather shop, but I said ok, maybe when you smoke it, it becomes much better... I smoked 2 bowls, I felt no taste, and an extremely light "leathery" taste... after the second bowl, I had a headache! When my woman got in, I asked her about the room's smell, and she told me she doesn't smell anything, but thought I had all our leather jackets out of the closet for some reason! I find it really bad! Grade:F

kdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kdsmith (2)

I gave a half tin of this to an old friend passing though my town on a cross country motorcycle ride. This was the first "English" blend he'd smoked, and I feel it is an excellent choice for someone who is used to smoking aromatics and wants to take a walk on the "dark side". And though I'm not one to spend a lot on tobaccos, I wasted no time buying a replacement.

I'm not one who can find the flavor of Granny's pecan pie in a pouch of Carter Hall or the taste of a 2005 Bordeaux in the latest rendition of Christmas Cheer, so I won't say what flavor is in this. It's not "in your face" with flavor. It's not strong enough to wake the dead. It's just a good, honest smoke. What I like to call conversation tobacco. That is, enough flavor to find enjoyable, but not so overbearing that it distracts you from your conversation.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm smoking a pipeful of this stuff as I write. This is a blend I will pick up to smoke every-once-in-a-while. I wonder why though, because when I light it up I always enjoy the smoke. Even though mine got quite dry, it packed and lit as well as a fresh tin: superb. It smokes with a minimum of fuss. The smell in the tin has been aptly describes as leathery. It smokes just a tad on the sweet side, which I ascribe to the excellent virginias and the oriental tobac provides a bit of mystery. Not overly complex by any means, but neither just one note boring either. I think anyone venturing out of aromatics and burley based stuff should try a few pipefuls of this. Pleasant, smooth almost soft and never hot or bitter. A definite 3 stars.

Carrot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carrot (13)

I love this tobacco and it has become my first choice of smoke. I'm quite a new smoker and the first time I opened a tin, filled my pipe and lit it I was in pipe smokers heaven. I sat back in my chair and had the most pleasurable smoke. My mind wandered off and I was in the zone. I'm always happy to smoke this stuff and I really enjoy it very much. I feel it's worth spending a few extra pennies to get such pleasure. If you've not tried it you should give it a go. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I couldn't tell you what kind of tobaccos are in this but they taste pretty fine to me. I come from a Presbyterian back ground which first made me curious about Presbyterian mixture. I am really glad i tried it out. I find this stuff to be very subtle and easy going, I smoke it all day long. Recommended.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

Presbyterian Mixture is a good full bodied English blend oriental/Virginia tobacco. A down to earth no nonsense tobacco. Does better if dried out for 5 to 10 minutes out of the tin. Gives a good billow of smoke and burns very well. I like this one.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Top notch Virginias and Orientals in near perfect proportions. Packs and lights easily using Frank's or layered methods. Yes, we have no Latakia today.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (37)

This was one of the first "High Dollar" tins that I ever bought. I was used to aromatics and this was a total departure for me. Like others, I bought it because of the church I attend. Anyway, the aroma is like wet leather when it is first opened. It packs easily and lights easily, also. The flavor is tangy and rich. My wife says that the room aroma is that of burnt toast. I still like the room note, though. The flavor does not change throughout the bowl. The ash is not as fine as one would like, but that does not detract from the over-all smoke. The other thing that I'd mention is that this will flavor your pipe. So, set a pipe aside to devote to this blend and only clean it when you move on to something else. I'll jump in and say that there is no Latakia in here! I have some experience with English and I don't taste any. I can also point to my wife; she won't be around any Latakia that is being smoked in the room. She will, however, be near a lighted pipe full of this. That should settle that! This has a special place in my heart for being my first real tin. I buy it when I can and have set aside a meerschaum just for this blue can. I have also encountered the problem with the tins not sealing well after opening. I hope they fix this soon. Otherwise, a jar may have to be set aside as well. Special treatment for a special tobacco.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I ordered a couple of tins of this after reading the generally positive reviews here on tobacco reviews, & I'm glad I did! This tobacco is very enjoyable & easy to smoke. On opening, the tin gives off a not unpleasant aroma of damp velvet, a very unique but quite addictive smell. Upon lighting, the flavour floods the senses, a powerful musty dark flavour - in a similair vein to a strong coffee or very dark chocolate - which typifies any quality oriental, with occasional bursts of light, spicy, tangy notes not unlike cloves & citrus. The smell of the smoke itself is, again, very pleasant & not overpowering in any way. Towards the end of the bowl, I found the flavour became slightly more mild & generally lighter, with less depth & body. This tobacco will rarely go out, it it quite easy to smoke all the way down to the bottom without any trouble. Unlike some other reviewers, I found no bite whatsoever. My one criticism is one which I have to give to a lot of blends which would otherwise get 4 stars - I like nicotine! I enjoy this smoke immensely, but it lacks just that one essential element that stops it from getting 4 stars. I also don't like the fact that the tobacco is wrapped in plastic in the tin, I prefer the more traditional paper. Nonetheless, I have cellared some & will make sure that I always have some around. Recommended.

P.S. Call me a coward if you like, but I'm staying out of the debate as to whether or not it contains latakia. If I had to take sides I would say that it does not, but I prefer not express an opinion on this issue as I think that one could get quite heated!

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Forgive me pastor....I do rather like this blend and perhaps the marketing gimmick plays a hand in that, (as I am of your flock :) ). And forgive me pipestud but I do taste syrian latakia in this blend, (three producers over). I still like it and have a few tins on hand at any given time. The pastors reference to "bite" I think is the syrian as that pepper does show up in several blends that suppose that addition. I do miss GLP's rennaisance. The Vintage Syrian out now is a great representation. Perhaps this is not what the old Earl actually smoked....still good though

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm a Presbyterian pastor and I must protest! This tobacco that bears our name is bland, bland! John Knox would be ashamed...

RCUS Elder pegged this one: it's a liberal blend in the worst sense of the word--expensive, pretentious and with little substance and a bad bite.

A very uninteresting smoke to my palate and it costs an arm and a leg: hardly Scottish.

Presbyterian pipe smokers--let's find a better blend for our name! How about Pease's Westminster? Makes sense to me...

Accompaniment: The Young Messiah.

kenneth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kenneth (15)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having read comments about PM I decided to give it a try and I whole heartedly agree that this is a very even tempered all day smoke with just this right amount of flavour to warrant daily use. I was a big fan of Dunhill 965 but A Dunhill in their wisdom decided to cease production, in the UK, so I have been looking around for a regular smoke. I tried Rattray's 7 Reserve, also Old Gowrie and Black Mallory but they did not quite hit the mark and lacked that oriental tang which I enjoy so much. I also tried Squadron Leader from our local Cumbrian blender Samuel Gawith but I found it a little harsh. I also like the packaging of this tobacco with it's plastic bag inner and push fit card seal but sadly, like all tobaccos produced for sale in the UK the lovely artwork on the tin is ruined by the Government health warning plastered across the front warning that Smoking Kills. Why do they feel it necessary to do that. Britain is becoming such a politically correct nanny state. It would be a bit like stamping Driving Kills on the bonnets of motor cars. Anyway, a fine tobacco with an esteemed and well documented history, a credit to our late Prime Ministers good taste

Regards Kenneth- West Yorkshire- UK

Counselor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Counselor (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is good stuff. I received compliments on the aroma of this belnd when I was still allowed to smoke in bars in Illinois. I do not detect any latakia in this mixture: simply goood virginia and tasty orientals. Also, this tin does not re-seal well, fyi. For my money, it beats Dunhill's English blends hands-down. Three-and-a-half stars for pipers who want to try an Oriental/English blend; four stars for the true oriental afficianado pipers.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

update: along the way through my tin, i've grown weary of this tobacco. i can't say exactly why, but it may have to do with the somewhat artificial plum/fruit note. downgraded.

original review: presentation: well, i'm not sure i'd dare to let this one store for long, as the tobacco is wrapped in plastic inside the tin. (on the other hand, why would one wish to age it further, as it's a very smooth smoke)

tin aroma: oh, there's no doubt, it contains latakia. not much, but it's there, for sure. how it could be overlooked by anyone is beyond my comprehension. but then, i'm very sensitive to latakia. apart from that, a slightly sweet smell of the 'ginny, and a plum/fruit-smell that might be topping or perhaps perique. there must be a good dose of orientals, too, given the slightly musty smell.

it pack and lights easily, perfect humidity imo. as mentioned above, a smoooooth smoke; with, again, the latakia in moderation, and a discreet virginia sweetness. the orientals play the role of tying together it all. and that plum note could very well be perique, as it seems to me to be a quite strong tobacco. but there may be some topping, too. the jury is still out on that one.

somehow, it's not a complex tobacco: the aromas unite in a very pleasant smoke, much as sugar unites with espresso...

this is the first time i smoke presbyterian, and it must have been fantastic in its english version if it was even better then. for once (at least in my experience), kohlhase & kopp have produced a first-class tobacco.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

Even though this venerable old blend has been around for a long time, I only recently tried Presbyterian Mixture for the first time. I like it a lot-- it could almost be said to be the definitive medium English mixture. I had hesitated to try it because it had been described as an English mixture without Latakia; I had to wonder what the point was of that. After smoking Presbyterian Mixture, I'm convinced that it does contain some Latakia though; as RMBittner observed in the review below, Latakia is technically an Oriental tobacco and may be so described in P.M.; the blender's description doesn't specify which Oriental tobaccos are used. If it's not Latakia, there's something here that does a convincing imitation of it. It's here in a moderate amount, as befits a medium English. The other Orientals add pleasing notes of smoke and spice and other flavors that are difficult to describe; they combine nicely with high-quality Virginias for a complex but well-balanced smoke. The tin aroma is smoky, earthy, leathery, slightly sour and musty-- typically English, in other words, and very inviting. Room note isn't overwhelming and isn't likely to drive people from the room like some stronger English mixtures might. P.M. lights well and isn't inclined to bite. It should please veteran smokers of English mixtures, and might also be a good door- opener for those looking to try their first English blend. It won't replace my other favorite English mixtures like Dunhill Nightcap, but it will be added to them in my regular rotation. P.M. is a good one!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

When I think of all the money I wasted on useless aromatic blends when I could have been smoking this excellent mixture!! I have not much to add to what already has been said about Prebyterian, it really is a good Va/oriental blend that might contain a modicum of Perique. It is intriguing to note a Latakia smell from the tin but not in the smoke itself, leaving the question again unanswered as to whether there is any in it. There is a little bit of casing in this blend and it is none the worse for it. A silky smooth smoke this! Rob

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)

EDIT: 12/12/07 I am upgrading my star rating to 4 for the simple reason that I keep ordering and smoking this stuff, preferentially to many other things. Therefor, I like it better. Therefore, it is 4 star, not three. More complicated than Campanile, and less peppery than many hopeful English mixes.

I think Presbyterian is just a touch thinner than it used to be, but it is still a very enjoyable smoke. King of the no-latakia English crowd, this one smells like a leather sock on opening the tin. There is a vague clove/plum smell to be dug out as well.

In the pipe, this is one perfectly behaved tobacco. It lights beautifully, smokes cool right to the bottom. The smell is not bad when fresh, in fact people have complimented me on it. After a day or so, though, it leaves kind of a funk.

In the tin, this stuff would seem very strong indeed, but it isn't. Nicotine is present but not overwhelming. The smoke is thick and luxurious, and never bitter. There is a sweet undercurrent of plums that I only get out of certain pipes, which compliments the base flavours (kind of flat Va/oriental - think black tea).

I like this stuff as I like most oriental-heavy mixes, and this is another tobacco that shows you can have real beef without a fistful of latakia. Very enjoyable stuff.

dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Presbyterian Mixture is the quintessential Oriental blend. Anyone who decides they want to start collecting different types of oriental blends, this is a top-shelf classic original. It should be your first choice. So the recipe has been passed around a bit, who cares? I think they make a fine rendition of the old treasure in West Germany. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the germans deserve more credit. This is an oriental- not an english blend. It smells like an oriental, it looks like an oriental, it tastes like an oriental and it smokes like an oriental. I have never seen any evidence to suggest that it is manufactured by Kolhase & Kopp, but even if it were, that would be no reason to discredit it. They are fine blenders, and even though I felt a little decieved when I popped open my first tin of James J. Fox "of London" to find the K & K insert, it has never taken away from the enjoyment I derive from smoking their products. If this were still made by the danish, chances are the virginias would have proven too sweet and overpowering for the orientals therein. The virginias here are quite possibly african. They are subtle and smooth. I suspect the "macedonian grades" mentioned on the back of the tin are actually some form of the Katerini leaf, which is famous in that region. If you enjoy this blend as much as I do, and you don't mind McClelland virginias, I suggest you try their version of this, called Katerini Classic. I find the smoking properties of PM to be sublime. Truly the champagne of orientals. The unwavering flavor continues uniformly from beginning to end without yielding any undesirable traits. The bowl of the pipe is left without gunk or glop. This is all natural tobacco as far as I can tell, and those who think otherwise might want to consider what they smoked out of their chosen pipes previously. I don't mean to sling mud in anyones eye, but I do find myself standing up for blends worth defending, such as this one. Oddly enough, my tin does not seal right either. I wanted to keep it in the lovely tin, so I compress the tobacco as best I can into a thick-walled and well sealed ziplock bag. I then proceed to crush it back into its original container. A lot of trouble perhaps, but a product like this which is worthy of the highest praise, deserves to be represented by its own label. Like Escudo, it has no relatives and stands alone on a shelf among hundreds of others. Please buy some yourself and see why I think it merits such high esteem.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)

With the exception of my tin not sealing after opening I have lil negative to say of this blend. It comes a perfectly moist blend of browns and tans with a smell in the tin that to me seems rather enlgish in nature (like latakia). Tin scent aside I doubt there is any latakia in this blend for I do not taste or smell any upon lighting. It does light up well and tastes like a great mellow tobacco blend. This comes across as very much a blend with not too much emphasis from the Virginias and or other tobacco but a melding of all the components with no casing that I could discern.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a heady, medium to full mixture of Virginia and Turkish (or some other Oriental leaf). Being a full English, it nevertheless is at the opposite end of Dunhill's London Mixture or Standard Mixture Medium. Where these two are eloquently austere and sober in their components, with a slightly toasted undertone, Presbyterian is almost floral and baroque. Very pungent and moist, the tobacco packs easily but if not previously aired it can be difficult to light.

More than smooth, the taste is fresh and musk, but I wouldn't say Presbyterian is a cool smoke in the same sense that My Mixture 965 or Commonwealth Mixture are. In fact, after the second half of the bowl it starts smoking hot, and it can produce an astringent and piquant effect on the palate. I believe this is on account of the Orientals.

Presbyterian is a mixture along the same lines of Davidoff's English or Dobbie's Original. I have smoked at least three tins of Presbyterian, and I find it very good and pleasing, even though it leaves me thirsty. IMO its only drawback is the acute pungency of the mixture?akin to that of Red Rappary?and though quite strong (let's say slightly above the medium strength region), I find it lacks in depth and roundness of flavour. I miss the more earthy tones and temperance I always find in 965 or London Mixture.

(NB I was one of those fooled in believing this mix had some Latakia leaf!)

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

This blend might not need another review, especially given that the reviews seem a bit contradictory. I?m not going to clear anything up, just throw my two match sticks on the fire. Nice tin, nice presentation, the plastics a little different but it doesn?t seem to affect the mix. It seems a little weird, like serving good coffee in a plastic cup; you?d expect it to detract from the flavor somehow. It doesn?t, in fact if concerned about losing moisture it seems like a good packaging idea, though I?m a sucker for the bakery connotation of sculpted wax paper in a tin. So, yeah, there?s that fruit nose in the tin, something plumy, something figgy, something a little fermented. Reminded a little bit of the scent from a fresh opened tin of Rattray?s Hal of the Wynd, the scent being very naturally sweet and figgy and not like a casing but a quality of the curing.

I really want to say there is no casing or aromatic flavoring to Presbyterian Mixture, though I say it with hesitation, with trepidation. My first bowl of this was in a Karl Erik Freehand that isn?t a stranger to aromatics. It was one of my first pipes and was broken in with a sophomoric palate and though I?ve cleaned it with the fervor of an OCD delinquent, it may make things lean towards a bit of a fruity flavor. In the Karl Erik Presbyterian mixture reminded me of a less playful, more serious version of Esoterica?s And So to Bed ? similar spiciness from the Orientals and whatever honeyish raiseny casing is in And So to Bed. And So to Bed is one of the few aromatic I can still stand to smoke so I didn?t toss the Presbyterian mixture out the window.

The next bowlful was in a Pete Silver Spigot that is a bit of a snob, not only has it never even spoken to an aromatic, it?s almost exclusively smoked Esoterica?s Penzance and Germains Special Latakia Flake. It thinks Dunhill mixtures are beneath it (of course you know how the Irish and the English get along). In the Pete the Presbyterian Mixture blossomed in complexity and flavor, a delicate mixture of a variety of Orientals and Virginians, no hint or suggestion of casing, and despite the Pete?s propensity to bring out the latakia there was no suggestion of latakia either or as a reviewer suggested perique.

Perhaps it?s still just a question of mine own palate which might no longer be sophomoric but is definitely still an undergrad. So I?m not really shining any light into the mystery here, but, for what it?s worth, I really recommend this smoke, for me it?s a pleasant distraction from my usual latakia heavy brands without having to backslide into anything sticky sweet or drop the Orientals for a straight VA or VA/PER. The mixture stays interesting through the bowl and burns to a dry white ash. Has a nice nicotine kick too without being brutal about it.

Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

A complex blend that developes through the bowl, from a subtle aromatic to a spicy Oriental.

Upon opening the tin, it smells of fruits. Not what one would expect from an English mixture.

First third of the bowl: not much to enjoy, other than a topping (sometimes subtle, sometimes annoying) that's a mix of dates and prunes. But don't despair.

Second third of the bowl: the topping is all gone, and now you have a very rich Oriental with just a touch of Latakia (I don't care what you say) and less-than-outstanding Virginias. The mix is very enjoyable.

Last third of the bowl: spiciness. The Orientals take over definitely and you end up wondering if there isn't some Perique in there (I don't think there is, but they sure taste alike).

All comes down to pure ash and you end up wondering why you didn't fill a bigger pipe. Very tasty.

One less star for being a tongue scorcher and for the unnecessary topping.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

You know what I like the most from this blend? It is an oriental mixture, with no Latakia but yet is satisfying! The absence of Latakia makes it tolerable to non - smokers; you don't have that strong burning wood smell a lot of non-smokers despise - too bad for them , they cannot know, these poor fools! Despite the fact that the room aroma sticks out upon lighting, it slowly attenuates.

Upon opening, you are welcomed by a mostly golden and brownish mixture with a bit of dark leaves. The cut is long. The tin aroma is definitely oriental, thus spicy. I haven't detected anything alike fruity like some other reviewers mentioned. But that spicy arome is far from overwhelming, it's just spicy, a tiny bit of that firecamp smell...

The packing is easy and if filled in properly, you will not spend your time relighting all the time.

The smoke gets progressively stronger throughout the smoking, but not too much. The smoke is satisfying, tasty and surprisingly sweet, like a casing was added but there is none, it's just the natural sweetness of what I suspect to be Greek Basma grades in fair presence in the mixture. And this tobacco smokes dry all the way down.

My Lads, the first Earl Baldwin most certainly knew about good tobaccos! Do not let you religious preferences interfere with what could transform into a delicious smoking experience!

For anyone who wants to venture into natural tobaccos, specifically english/ oriental mixtures, this is a good start to get accustomed to this next step in your pipe smoking carreer; and for anyone already into english mixtures but wanting something different, give it a try.

Only one thing, though, that annoys me a bit: the last three tins I've opened, for some reason the tin does not close back on properly... A pity!

Highly recommended!

Update 19 JUne 2007

This afternoon, for some reason, I was finding this blend too bright and not enough dark, lacking a bit of flavour and becoming rather tongue - biting. Later, I smoked some oriental no 14 ( McClelland)and found it too dark, slow burning, and having a tendency to leave the bottom of the pipe rather wet/oily, I don't know why. Somehow, something clicked and: Guess what I did? Yes, absolutely, I mixed the 2 together, half and half and, until now, the result is quite surprising!

It burns better, and the black VA combined with the Greek Basma grades gives it a pleasant,distinctive, slightly sweet flavor, as where the Latakia and Orientals give it a more silky, smokey taste; and I find the room aroma to be very discreet and pleasant...

If you do smoke both of these blends, or something similar, and experience the same problems, you might want to give this a try. I guess it will take a couple days before the different tobaccos melt properly together but, until now it's a delightful surprise, the best of both worlds!

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Upgrade to 4 stars. Definitely improves vastly with age in the tin.

Indescribably different and most likely a love or hate kind of prospect for most; there is a light-toned but constant nicotine kick associated with this blend that I enjoyed without ever feeling overwhelmed.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is one of my absolute favorite pipe tobaccos. From the plum smell as I open the tin, to the fine white ash that remains after the treat. I find this blend to be intriguing too because of its lack of latakia. If you are put off by a blend that does not have latakia in it do your self a favor TRY IT, you might just surprise your self. The tobacco seems to burn at an average rate, but absolutely burns cool and dry (the dry part possibly because like with all tins I leave the tobacco on a newspaper for an hour or so after initially opening it). The room note is in my mind mild but my wife thinks that it ?smells as bad as any other English you smoke?. But in my opinion the smell dissipates faster than an English tobacco. In conclusion this is a special tobacco that with a few others I consider to be a classic, if I was told that I could only smoke one blend of tobacco for the rest of my life, this would be on the short list to choose from.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)

3/10/07

This is an excellent ribbon cut English blend. Curious recipe though......no latikia? This blend is so well proportioned that it doesn't need the smokey overtones of latikia. Latikia would over complicate this smoke and take away from the simple qualities that make this blend so appealing.

P.M packs well and lights evenly. This is a very satisfying tobacco and never cloying like more traditional latikia blends. Nice somewhat sweet nutty flavor from light-up to knock out.

The room note of P.M. brings me back to my child hood it has that clean old fashioned aroma I associated with the gentlemen pipe smokers that would come to my mom and dads house for dinner or card parties.

I will be sure to keep a tin of this handy and a continued part of my tobacco rotation.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Presbyterian Mixture.23/02/07. In its class this blend is excellent,easy to light and extremely enjoyable all the way to the bottom of the bowl. A near perfect smoke for me.Yes,I would definitely purchase more tins without hesitation.Four stars from me.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

I don't think I've ever had to experiment quite so much in order to bring out the true character of a blend. Maybe it won't require so much effort for you. But if it does, I think your attention will be rewarded.

I want to say two things right off the bat, because there's been a lot of debate. I'm not an expert, but I definitely detect (by eye and nose) a whisper of latakia here (which, of course, is an oriental, so the above description doesn't lie). But, surprisingly, I also detect a tiny pinch of perique. A little perique goes a very long way with me, so I feel certain it's here. Contributing the tiniest bit of pepper to the blend, the leaf here is truly condimental. It's perfectly enjoyable by someone with a low threshold for the leaf. And I think it's far more noticeable in the tin aroma than it is in the pipe.

Initial flame brings wafting dark orientals to the fore, with a toasted kind of tangy bitterness that I happen to really enjoy. Midway through, the equally toasty-tasting Virginias duck in and out, never overtaking the orientals completely but sometimes melding with them. Near the end, the orientals again dominate, with a slightly bitter, slightly sooty finish. That latakia is in such small quantities that it never stands out; the perique simply adds a touch of spice.

As for that "effort" I mentioned at the beginning . . .

As tinned, this blend is quite moist; it benefits from 15-20 minutes of drying before loading in the pipe. It's also very particular about how it's packed. Recent Pease blends have gotten me packing pretty tightly, but that didn't work here. Even with a lighter-than-usual hand, this one refused to be a 3-match smoke -- requiring up to 5 matches to finish off the bowl.

Based on Serad's review in "Pipes and Tobaccos" magazine, I'd approached this one initially as a Balkan. But the latakia is present in such tiny quantities as to really make this, as many others have noted, a Virginia/oriental blend, with a dash of perique. While I favor the kind of creamy interaction that comes when orientals work together seamlessly with a large quantitiy of latakia in a true Balkan -- where the Virginias are much more of an afterthought -- Presbyterian is very much worth exploring on its own terms. Not to put too much pressure on its name, but: For me, this one is all dark walnut pews, dusty burgundy curtains, and deep shadows. And it's quite enjoyable.

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an enigmatic but dependable English blend with a good whack of latakia (which I love) and undertones of rich fruits, chiefly plum. This would be a great Christmas/winter smoke by the fireside to accompany a seafresh islay malt whiskey. This could become my all-day blend for the latakia because I find Commonwealth Mixture a little too buzzy for heavy consumption and Squadron Leader too uniform and dry for puffing all the time. A good one to put in your latakia rotation: I can well see why the Earl was so partial to a bowl!

Tyler Addison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tyler Addison (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My room mate bought a tin of this and we both loved it right from the beginning. The tin aroma is very good, very natural, and lets you know you're in for a good, dry smoke.

It has a nice nutty taste throughout, and smokes cool and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Easy to light, tamp, relight, etc.

Presbyterian is going in my permanent rotation.

I'd reccomend it to anyone. Ever.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

I can't figure this blend out. I have smoked it about eight times, and it keeps changing. Also, I can't believe nobody on this page mentions perique. Sure, it does not say there's perique, but I think there's some good evidence that it has some. The last time I smoked it, I found a chunk of some leaf in the tin, and put it on top so I could notice what flavor came out at the beginning. I was perique, I'd wager. That explains some of the flavor. By the way, that was the best time I've smoked it, so what this may need is some more perique. It's worth a try if you think this is good but missing something. If this blend was sweeter it would also be better. A fake English.

Update: This tobacco just grew on me the more I smoked it, and I realized that it deserves a better rating than I first gave it. I think it was a bit too humid when I first started smoking it. The humidity is high where I live during the summer months, which means tobacco does not dry out as quickly as it should. This one is worth trying.

Castro Spendlove Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Castro Spendlove (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just got a tin, loaded up my Pete and bin-go! A very, very cool smoke and perhaps a good alternative for anyone who may find Squadron Leader a little oily. And a painted tin lid has to be a bonus doesn't it.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

This is great stuff....This is quickly becoming one of my three go to english blends. While this reads for Virginia and Orientals- it tastes like far more....Flavor profile has sweet virginias, with a touch of latakia, and exotic orientals....Never bitter, in fact for me it gets better as the bowl progresses...Comes moist out of the tin, sealed in a plastic bag inside of the tin. My only negative is the tin. Doesn't close back up for anything. Might be why its in a food grade plastic bag in there.

Great blend- Worth the purchase.

AngusMacNab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AngusMacNab (1)

Given that we have had a "cold front" here in South Florida of late, I opted to open one of my old tins of this mixture. I have quite a few of them, that have probably been in the cool confines of a darkened storage compartment for the last couple of years. So, insert coin, twist, remove cardboard placard, unwrap plastic and inhale. Beautiful. Still extremely moist, so I let it sit for a bit. Even though this tin is the "outsourced" tin that is, admittedly, somewhat worthy of shame in comparison to the days gone by, it is still one of my favorites, if, for nothing else, the memories this blend evokes.

After a little while (really, about ten minutes as I was eager to get out to the balcony to light up), I poured some Laphroaig 30 year (an extremely prized bottle of mine), gently packed some of this mix into an old Shamrock Peterson, and headed outside. Lighting up...memories of what this mix once was came flooding back. It hasn't lived up to that in years now, but it's not altogether a completely lost cause. It's flavors are there...but not quite. It's aromas are not room-emptying...even out on the balcony, my wife came out and remarked how pleasing this one was. But, it's definitely not on par with say...well, anything in the Gawith line for instance. Just to give an idea anyway. Why the English lines continually think it's a good idea to sell out and send blending and mixing Eastwards is beyond me. But, alas it happens.

If you do enjoy where this has been, and where it's at now, you can still not go wrong with picking some up and forever keeping some on hand. If you're starting out with it...well, you have nothing to compare it to. If you like a generally mild, calming, pleasing blend...this is right up your alley.

Churchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Churchwarden (4)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When you´ve had a bad day at the office, problems start to pile up at your door or you´re feeling stressed-out, take this honourable but naughty mixture and light it, preferably outdoors. After few minutes, you will be on the top of things again. Pure medicin, cool and exciting, yet still relaxing, but just for special occasions.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't feel completely qualified to give any tobacco 4 stars, however this is pretty close to brilliant in the English-style department. The tin smells delish. But at first light I thought I was in for the usual leather fist you get from comparable Dunhill mixtures. After only a few minites the cow hide mellows out and the plummy goodness starts to drift up through the smoke. Even lighting half a bowl,(to see just how much time you squeeze out of a little bit) this mixture stays quietly well lit and very consistant to the bowl's bottom. Only delicate ash remains. A very smooth ride, altogether.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (78)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco... Not as simplistic as some would believe, I find the subtleties a bit more complex and the smoke offers some wonderful room notes normally not associated with this type mixture.

Predominantely, a Virginia Plug smoker, I rotate in and out of Balkan Flakes and heavy English blends/mixtures and particularly like the Virginia/Oriental tobaccos. I think this mixture has been put together well and has been one of the few European tobaccos that has been able to keep its basic character. I smoked this first back in the early 1960's and have always kept it around.

I tend to smoke this in one of several Dunhill group 5 straight billiards.

Definitely worth a good try! Goes great with a good cup of tea, coffee, or a fine brandy.

Regards,

Peter

...A pipe is to be savored

Cosmoline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cosmoline (13)

This is a very nice Virginia/Oriental mix. It smokes smooth and has a lovely array of subtle tastes. Nothing extraordinary, but a great easy baccy to smoke.

Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the one I go to in the pinch, my go-to. Delicious stuff. I have been smoking pipes for nearly two years, and have gone through 4 tins of this.

Very high quality stuff, packed tightly with a clear plastic wrap in the tin instead of accordion paper which is prevalent in most other blends. Moist (maybe too damp for some but for me it works), seems to be a straight forward Va/Oriental blend, and that is alright with me. Aroma is musty/woodsy/forrest floor/leather. Burns smooth, one of the few blends that I can puff away like my life depends on it, and not get bitten for it. Packs a nice nicotine level (The Velvet Hammer is my friend), and easy enough on the mouth to smoke multiple bowls in a row. The Orientals really stand out here, Virginia being in the background offering support. I haven't yet come across a blend where the Orientals are so flavorful.

Highly Recommended.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Presbyterian Mixture - Ah, good ole presby...as a Reformed/Presbyterian what else should I smoke? Well, unfortunately the good doctrine I hold to does not translate to this being a good smoke...all we have in common is the name =). Now its not that this is awful weed...its, like others have said, very one-dimensional which is fine but its also bland, pretty darn bland.

For some reason my experience with this six years ago was much better, could be my taste development though. Anyway, it?s a cool tin and neat history behind this blend but I can take it or leave it. Its just ok, sadly so. I will polish off my tin then most likely leave it behind. =(

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

This is a great Virginia & Oriental blend. You get a surprise when you open the tin. The aroma had me convinced it had some sort of blueberry flavoring, however there is no flavor detectable once lit. The taste is sweet and spicy and cool, the VAs and Orientals coming to a perfect balance. This is an excellent, contemplative blend, great as a reading blend.

alabra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alabra (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with Prez mixture (and I was so eager to like it, too!). It has a medium latakia aroma upon opening - ditto on the taste. As one other reviewer mentioned and I agree, it reminded me of Squadron Leader, though I say it was not quite as good as SL. I will say it was a consistent smoke - neither getting better nor worse from top to bottom. Had to re-light more than a few times. To me, it seemed one-dimensional; no bite but a slightly bitter taste at the back sides of my tongue. I have had other English blends that were better - more complex, richer. This was rather flat. I will smoke it again ONLY if I a happen to be out of my regular English blend (which is my own concoction of equal amounts of Margate, And So To Bed, Squadron Leader, Frog Morton, and a Lane bulk English from my local shop).

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Boy, did I want to like this stuff. It's cool. Not a lot of people I know smoke it (or have even tried it), the local shops don't carry it, it has a long (though not very exciting) history, it comes in a beautifull tin, complete with church steeple, and I have a presbyterian heritage. What's not to like?

In truth, I DID like Presby mixture. It has a great taste, though somewhat milder than I expected and burns slow and even. I would probably like it more and be writing a slightly different kind of review if I had not made the mistake of buying a tin of Astley's #99 on the same day. I went right to the PM and smoked it several days before even opening the Astley's. I had left the PM tin in the car and was too lazy to go get it, so I popped open the #99 instead. Right away I knew the Astleys had a stronger, fuller taste. In fact, the main difference is simply that everything I like about Presby Mixture is amplified (to good effect) in the Astley's. So really, nothing wrong with PM. Actually, there's a whole lot right with it and it gets a strong recommendation from me (I still grab it for a change of pace). It's just that Astley's gives me more of what I like about PM. And more is good!

Capulet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capulet (8)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

As someone who's only been smoking pipes for about a year, I was a bit intimidated at first by this blend (my usual staple up until now has been Petersons Sherlock and Sunset Breeze), fearing that it would be very overpowering and a bit too strong - this fear was further compounded when I first opened the tin - having been accoustomed to the fruity smells of the other tobaccos mentioned I found Presbyterian to be very strong on the nose.

The tobacco packs well, burns well and tastes very good. A real satisfying smoke and a change of pace from the more aromatic blends I am used to. My study now has two staple tobaccos - light and airy Sherlock and dour and serious Presbyterian. Thouroughly enjoyable.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

05-19-2005

Appearance and Tin aroma: Fine ribbon cut, smells earthy and deliciously pungent.

Packing and Lighting: Long ribbons make for careful packing. Moisture is perfect, two lights max.

Initial Flavor: Earthy, musty, salty, yumm.

Mid-Bowl: a very ocassional sweet note from the VA, but mostly a round, nutty, buttery flavor.

Bottom of Bowl: a nice increase of strength, some spicy notes develop. Ash is fine and dry, light grey in color (as if that matters!).

Overall: Well, being an ordained reformed Elder, I had to try this blend just because of its name affiliation. This blend seems to be in the saltier end of the "oriental" category, but not bitter. Tongue-bite was definitely not an issue with this blend as it provided enough flavor with normal puffing. Alas, this blend already shows the influence of liberalism by its lack of depth though. Don't get me wrong, it is a good blend, but does not exemplify the depth and complexity of the Westminster Standards that Presbyterians are normally known for. I guess I'll keep a tin or two around just to remind myself to keep vigilant...

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Among all the reviewers here, I probably am the one who enjoyed this tobacco the least. I guess that simple virginia+orientals without latakia is not a combination I love, as I find it a bit cigarettish. There are some exceptions I like (Ashton's Old London Pebblecut, and a couple of McClelland made blends), but usually I think that this simple combination falls quite flat.

The tin aroma was quite promising: moderately sweet, very ripe, with some musty notes... the smoking experience was a disappointment. It is a VERY smooth, non-bitey, refined and delicate blend: never cloying, never a taste out of place... but too dull and monochromatic, IMHO.

While I can't say that the result is disagreeable, the taste is quite dusty, without enough Virginia sweetness or noticeable spiciness. Probably OK for those in search of very unperceivable nuances, or on the other hand as an all day blend... but I seek more excitement.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

When I first read about this some time ago I assumed it was your run of the mill English, 100 year old formula or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

This is the best English blend I have ever smoked. And I like Pease, some Dunhill, Fox, etc. It has the richness and depth of a blend that is much heavier, yet I dare say it is more in the light to medium category, though some will put it a shade past medium.

It is smooth and tasty. It's a shag cut that packs easy, burns steady, tastes uniform bowl after bowl, is cool, and is not a wet smoke by any means. It is rich but not as heavy as a full balkan blend. The P&T reviews were more mixed but I think it is better.

It has quality virginia with no bite, unusual turkish varietals, and a smooth (heat treated?) yet discrete helping of latakia. The latakia is not as dominant as in other English blends with this much richness, so you can enjoy the oriental and virginia flirting. But the coolness, body and depth of that Cyprian leaf is there for sure.

This blend rivals even the inveitable Mr. Pease's offerings but with no need for more aging in my opinion. I can give no higher a compliment.

Sometimes I tire of smoking English blends due to their weight or redundancy, but this one is so tasty that you want another bowl soon after finishing one. I went though a tin in a small Garfinkle of old and in a new bent Ascorti in 10 days (quick for me). I ordered four tins immediately and will help myself to more. Highly Recommended.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is quite possibly the best english on the market today. It is an english of distinctive character in a sea of monotonous english blends. It has got to be those oriental tobaccos of such unique quality and character in a base of naturally sweet virginia ribbon accompanied by latakia. Blended in proportion of a medium blend with excellent ballance in the respective leaf qualities. I am primarily not an english smoker as I used to be but this is something to come back to when one wants to experience a blend o distinctive quality and character in the english genre.

-Thoroughly Recommended

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

I am rather new in the traditional English mixture-department. Presbyterian is the best blend I have tried so far: normally I smoke Dunhill's 965. Well, Presbyterian is a well-rounded, semi-sweet English with only a small amount of smoky leaf in it. The virginia is of very high quality.

Upon opening the tin, I detected something that smelled like Cavendish, VA and oriental. Unlike some of the other reviewers I do not think this one is leathery and dusty. For me, Presbyterian is a sweet, thick, dense and an almost silky smoke.

Compared to other heavier blends, this might be a little bland, but as an everyday smoke, it is just my thing. I have already ordered several tins for cellaring. An all-time classic.

Jakob, Denmark

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Presbyterian Pipe Tobacco Mixture, supposedly formulated before WWI, is blended in Germany for William P. Solomon of London.

The tin aroma of Presbyterian Mixture is unique. The aroma is slightly musty with smells of leather, hay, and undertones of plum. Initially, no substantial Latakia aroma was noticed. The contents of Presbyterian Mixture include U.S. grown Virginia and Macedonian tobaccos. Again, Latakia may be present but in minute amounts only. The color of this blend is composed mostly of lighter yellows, tans, and browns with amounts of dark black to a lesser extent.

The cut of Presbyterian Mixture is a long, thin, and stringy ribbon cut. Several stems were noticed. The blend packs well without any difficulties. The initial moisture is on the high side but the blend tends to dehydrate readily.

The initial light occurs quickly and evenly. The burn progresses at a medium-fast rate. Although Presbyterian Mixture tends to burn completely, the burn does not tend to overheat the pipe bowl. A smooth dark gray ash remains behind the steady burn of the tobacco. The room note is similar to other mild English blends and is tolerable.

The flavor of Presbyterian Mixture is nutty, dusty, and leather-like. The flavor seems to be a good balance between the sweet and the sour. The flavor does have the slightest touch of smokiness. A slight amount of topping may be present. Presbyterian Mixture burns cool and lacks any substantial tongue bite regardless of its higher moisture content. A consistent medium smoke is produced. No nicotine kick was noticed.

Presbyterian Mixture, although not overly characteristic, is a smooth and relaxing smoke that qualifies as an all day mild English smoke. Presbyterian Mixture is a satisfying alternative to the other more heady English blends on the market.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Packaging and Presentation:

PM comes in a "coin twist," printed tin and not the Pringles chips pop-top variety, with the paper label. Tobacco comes in short ribbons (not a shag-cut) of mostly dark browns and black. Moisture was above normal, but airing the mix a few minutes is adequate.

Tin aroma is sweet and floral with Orientals and Virginia tobaccos. Latakia is barely noticeable. This reminds me of Esoterica?s ?And So To Bed,? but less Latakia and without the headache I get just sniffing ASTB. PM is very inviting all the way around.

Packing Qualities:

Packed easily into a variety of group 4 and 5 sized pipes.

Lighting Properties:

One charring light, tamper and relight is usually all that is necessary to finish the bowl.

Burn Aroma:

Burn aroma is spicier and heavier than tin aroma would have me anticipate. The Orientals predominate, but subtle sweetness comes through, as does a touch of smokiness. Very pleasant.

Flavor Notes:

Oriental sweetness and spiciness come through and stay consistent throughout. Certainly not a monochromatic blend, PM is complex and acceptably rounded in flavor. There is a touch of bitterness, but I like it. Not heavy or thin. I smoke this throughout the day. I did not notice much in the way of changes from first to last third of the smoke.

Miscellaneous Smoking Sensations: Smoke volume: (Moderate) Moisture: (Somewhat wet; a one-pipe cleaner smoke) Mouth feel: (You have to work at tongue bite) Burn rate: (Fairly slow)

Overall Impressions:

PM had me at ?Hello.? It was what I was looking for in an all-day, before dinner smoke. Substantial flavor and rich aroma demanded that I keep puffing and reloading the empty bowl. PM burned to fine ash and no dottle. If you like Orientals blends with a touch of natural, sweetness and spice (and subtle smokiness), here you go. Like many old blends, it has survived for good reason. Try it and give your aromatic-bound pipesters a bowlful. They just might like it.

Update September 2004: While I remain a Presbyterian by affiliation, PM and I have drifted apart. Perhaps we will once again fraternize.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Very good smoke. I truly enjoy this blend. It's sweet enough to be a morning smoke but strong enough to be a late evening smoke, too. It reminds me slightly of a Dunhill mixture (maybe Durbar or My Mix 965) but it's a true original on it's own. I'm almost certain there is a pinch of latakia in there but it is barely detectable when smoking; and I'm not sure but I think I detect a citrus flavor in there somewhere, too. Again, very good change of pace. I only had one tin of this one and haven't gotten enother one yet but, maybe I will if I want a change of pace.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

If I were an English mixture regular, this would be one of my favorites. It is a very tasty English but not so different from some of Dunhills' offerings.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Presbyterian Mixture is highly overlooked when it comes to masterful, tasty and full English blends. The Virginia here is top rate and while some may believe that this concoction contains latakia, my taste buds tell me that there is some stoved tobaccos, not latakia in the mixture. Perhaps it is the Macedonian leaf? Whatever it is, it works in spades.

Full, round and consistent throughout the bowl. Presbyterian reminds me of the Original Balkan Sobranie White more than any blend that I've smoked. Do yourself a favor and try this one.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

There is nothing extraordinary about this blend, but nonetheless I find myself drawn to it frequently. Given the name, perhaps it?s an ?effectual calling.? Whatever it is, I highly recommend that both English and Virginia lovers try this light- to mid-weight English/oriental blend. After opening my first tin, I tried a few bowls then set it aside for about two months. When I came back to it I found both the aroma and taste much richer and captivating than it had been initially. If, like me, you enjoy old-style English blends that have withstood the test of time, you really must give Presbyterian a try.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have waded through a few tins of Presbyterian, and have become quite comfortable with its singularity and strength. I do not detect latakia in here, just alot of oriental, cut with a smattering of virginias. Pres packs a solid punch, perhaps in an attempt on the blenders part to compensate for a perceived lack of depth or character. It smokes cool and has an interesting plum nose upon opening the tin. A good, steady middle of the road english pipe tobacco and likely the most oft recommended blend by myself to those looking for a portal into the somewhat mysterious and looming world of non-cased leaf. 08/03-I have taken to adding some latakia Flake to my jar of Pres--now the smoke is complete.

Meriadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meriadoc (5)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Having usually smoked cavendish and other sweet stuff, the first time I opened a can of Presbyterian I nearly fell over. It has a strong, almost musty aroma that is not unpleasant but is an aquired taste. Smoking it was a chore at first, as the nicotine kick would bother me if I hadn't smoked at all for the previous three or four days. I mostly kept smoking it just to use it up and, well, I had paid for it. Having said that, I'm glad I kept trying it, because after awhile one can appreciate the full tobacco flavor, with a hearty tang, devoid of added flavors and processing agents. I have never experienced tongue bite, even when puffing rapidly, and the full taste is a good counterpart to fine coffee or strong ale. All in all a satisfying smoke.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I found this blend highly satisfactory in all technical respects: smells good in the tin, packs easily, stays lit, doesn't bite etc. As with most english blends, your room will smell like ye olde mouldy english haystack, so don't try to smoke it where it's not welcome. The flavor is rich with enough play of spicy orientals and latakia to keep you going, but it misses in the complexity department, likely on account of the virginia never really shows up. Ultimately this mix left me wishing it were something else (dare I say 965...) but I don't regret giving it a spin. It's a tasty, reliable, non-tempermental, easy-smoking English. Not bad!

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I found this one a bit fruity, for an English. In fact I suspected some form of casing which may be present. A really enjoyable smoke really much nicer than many on the market. Rich and dark.

The only thing that bother's me about this blend is the Baldwin thing. I bet if is Earlness tried this blend it would be a very different dog to the one they made 70 odd years ago. Yet another example of firms trading on past glories.

TDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TDE (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This venerable old tobacco was first blended prior to World War I and is now manufactured in Germany for William P. Solomon of London, Presbyterian is not cased (flavoured) and consists of Virginias, Orientals and Latakia in good measure. It is available in a 50g round tin.

Sight, Touch & Aroma: Upon opening the tin. Presbyterian offered up the dusty, faintly sweet and smoky aroma of horse hide that is indicative of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos. The tobacco is a course shag that is medium brown and black in colour. It is moist to the touch but not wet or sticky.

Preparation & Smoking: Out of can, Presbyterian packs very well in two or three lifts but can smoke erratically. You can fix this on the next bowl by taking a small amount of tobacco out of the tin and airing it 5-10 minutes before packing it in your bowl. This works splendidly and only two matches are required to set-up a durable burn. This mixture also requires a few tamps before bowl?s end to complete the burn.

Flavours: A very pleasant tobacco with a nutty, slightly dusty and leathery taste of Orientals and Latakia. There is a faint sweetness that changes to a slight sourness that is not at all unpleasant. This blend has a full taste but is very mellow and would seem incapable of tongue-bite unless one smokes it wildly.

Room Note: There is a very brief, incense-like top note that peaks out occasionally from the baseline note of smoked leather and wood. Although my non-smoking but tolerant wife did not find the fragrance one to rave about, she thought the smoke was tolerable in small quantities ? a pretty typical reaction to the room note of mild English mixtures.

Economics: At $15 CDN for 50g, Presbyterian is not a cheap tobacco; and as its burn rate is only average, it is not a very economic smoke. But in relation to English mixtures, it represents an average value.

Last Word: Economic or not, Presbyterian has been one of my favourite all-day tobaccos for some time. Not only for what it does, but for what it doesn?t do ? namely bite your tongue or burn your palate. If you want to try an English mixture but are afraid of their strength, give this one a spin. You won?t go far wrong. I rate Presbyterian at 4 stars out of 5.