Iwan Ries

Paladin is an aromatic blend of flue cured and burley tobaccos.

BrandPaladin
Blended ByLane Limited (previously, Pinkerton Tobacco)
Manufactured ByLane Limited
1.8
Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Very Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

For some reason, my dad loved this and it smelled "pipey" when I was a kid. Smoking it for myself was completely different.

I tried this in 1999 and it nearly turned me off of pipe-smoking completely. It was about the third or fourth blend I tried. Take some tobacco and dip it in a cherry Icee or Slush Puppy and you will get the same taste. I tried it again recently and it is more mild, but similar taste.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Spectator Diplomat

Purchased From: Ingles

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I try to never throw away tobacco but I made an exception with this blend. If this were the first tobacco I tried with a pipe I would not be smoking a pipe today. No taste and burns hot. Picked it up a a local store because I ran out of tobacco while out. Should have waited till I got home. Taste of a cherry lifesaver.

Pipe Used: basket briar

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (25)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ok, let's get some things straight. This is not the same cough medicine tasting tobacco it was was a few years ago when Pinkerton made it. Most blends that Lane took over the recently they ruined. Borkum riff being one of them ! But that's another review. This tobacco actually got better. It has a light cherry flavor now and a good old fashioned American burley taste. Actually, it tastes like the Pinkerton version of Half and Half with a mild, juicy cherry flavor !! I'm beside myself, can't believe it, this is actually good ! It has a mild reserved cherry burley aroma. Its good in a briar, and spectacular in a cob ! Its a cherry burley , finally ! A straight up cherry burley that's real burley, and real cherry ! Its mild, cool, and dry I can't believe it? Its not fancy, super sweet, elegant, or gourmet in anyway, shape or form. Its just a good honest smoke ! This is a good old American smoke through and through. Try it, you won't be disappointed and you may find a new go to smoke as well !

Pipe Used: leonessa billiard, country gentleman cob.

Similar Blends: Old Half and Half Pinkerton and American Tobbaco version..

Oom Paul 73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oom Paul 73 (4)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I must say I was very surprised with blend after reading some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The aroma was quite pleasant and the flavor was bold and full but not overwhelming, the down side is that it was a hit an miss at times in the aroma and flavor department not to say one could not enjoy this blend, still well worth the smoke enjoy.

MrOwl81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrOwl81 (1)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was fairly pleasant smoke. The taste was a little more than I cared for, as being an aromatic smoker. If I buy a drugstore blend, it tends to be one i am more familiar with. it was not a terrible smoke, and the ambiance was decent. it is a good choice for beginners desiring aromatics.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

...While I prefer strong Virginia Plug/Flake tobaccos and have for the past 46 years...I am reacquainting myself with many of the old "drug store" tobaccos, and as in some cases, I very much like what I have found...

I smoked Paladin back in the early-mid 1960's and didn't care for overly sweet flavored tobaccos...that said, I recently purchased a pouch of Paladin and this version is produced by Lane, not Pinkerton...The Pinkerton version was a rough cut similar to Granger/Half & Half with a strong cherry flavoring...I find the Lane version "rounder", appropriate moisture, more of a "crimp" type cut, and while still sweet and flavor laden, not so much as it used to be... Frankly, I like it.

While it will not be in my top 15 tobaccos in rotation, I believe I'll keep a tub of it around, as I do with many of the old burley tobaccos..Perhaps worthy of another trial for those wishing to judge differences in this version vs Pinkerton's.

enjoyed in a group 4 or larger size pipe...

...a pipe is to be savored...

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

First of all, if you are a new pipe smoker never don't try a baccy baseb on some other person's opinion. When I first stsrted smoking many pipe smokers warned against Balkan Sobranie. I scoffed at them and went ahead. Basically it was all I could afford at the time.

First and foremost Paladin's Black Cherry is affordable which should not be under rated.

I like to smoke it after smoking too many saddles and horse blankets. The sheer in your face blast of cherries helps restore my tastebuds. By the way, if you think this blend will ghost a pipe, you should try some of the latakias I've been smoking.

Tonalsmoker was dead on in his description of this tobacco, but I would like to add this would be a great tobacco for a new smoker. First, if you smoke Paladin slowly it will not bite. Second, it generally stays lit and smokes a long time. Third, you can get a little nic-kick from this. If you are an experienced smoker, then this would go under my heading of fun tobaccos. They are different and help wake up my taste buds. Find what you like & smoke it all up. It is an easy 2.5.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Since I have no idea what pink urinal cakes taste like I won't comment on that. But I will say that I recently tried this tobacco and was pleasantly surprised! Yes, it's cased and has a very pronounced black cherry aroma in the pouch. But once lit it gradually transforms into a very nice burley smoke with only hints of the cherry note wafting in and out. The bottom third of the bowl is a delight. Don't be put of by some of the negative reviews. Give this a try and judge for yourself. Oh, and the room note? Many compliments from everyone who smells this.

TheGreatPawnHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheGreatPawnHunter (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like this Black Cherry blend when mixed 50/50 with Prince Albert. The 50/50 combination was recommended on alt.smokers.pipes newsgroup. The mix I call "Papal". It is an all day smoke and is very forgiving on the tongue.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (14)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I bought some Paladin during my vacation trip in Vermont. We have the typical OTC cut that packs very easily and lights up without any issues. But the taste is chemical, confirming first impressions at pouch opening, and does not make it an interesting experience. I can understand it's very inexpensive - about three dollars for 1.5oz. I understand, also, that some people will smoke, on a regular basis, and sometimes only that, tobaccos like Paladin, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half and Half, etc, in a cob because they are inexpensive. My opinion, honestly, is that even if Paladin was the only tobacco available for a short period of time - a couple days - I would rather abstain than smoking this. My conclusion: life is short; enjoy it; smoke good tobaccos and stay away from Paladin and its counterparts. Don't do this to yourself.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I personally enjoy this blend. Just because some brands are inexpensive or readily available at your local pharmacy does not mean they are all poor in quality. Though I won't claim it is the absolute best I've had either. Still, I found this particular cherry flavor much better than the average shelf brand. I keep it in my rotation along side my Cornel & Diehl aromatics and my 1776 Old Dominion.

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash, Dr. Grabow Duke

Age When Smoked: 40

Grumpynuts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpynuts (4)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

On a whim I thought I'd give it a try. Although people around me enjoy the aroma it is one that I can't wait to finish the pouch only because I don't like throwing away tobacco. Sickly sweet, cherry medicine flavored in my opinion, so if you're looking for something along those lines pick yourself up a pouch. It was pretty cheap, too.

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Age When Smoked: As old as my tongue but older than my teeth

Purchased From: Grocery Store, Omaha

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Paladin Black Cherry is the poster child for goopy aromatics.

The stoved cavendish tobacco presumably is some sort of mixture between burley and Virginia, but there is no way of telling. There is no tobacco flavor to be found.

The taste is a strongly artificial cherry, quite similar to Robitussin cough medicine. That is a prescription only cough medicine because it contains codeine. It would be better if this stuff actually were flavored with Robitussin. A little narcotic would improve the smoking experience.

There may be some pipesters who enjoy a very strong cherry flavor who might find this to their liking, in spite of its artificiality, but even so they will find Paladin goes bitter and goopy half way down the smoke.

Yes, you can make this smokable. Cut it with at least 50% Prince Albert. But with that much of another tobacco it is a totally different mixture.

Do I have anything positive to say about Paladin? Yep. The room note is OK.

ZenForest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenForest (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I had not smoked in awhile, so perhaps my pipe needed a cleaning or something, but I was not crazy about this tobacco. I was looking for a STRONG flavor of Cherry. It seemed bland to me.....not much taste to it. The aroma out of the tin was ok, but the taste was not nearly strong enough for me.

Batman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Batman (3)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A pretty decent aromatic. If you want an English blend or anything heavy, go elsewhere, but if you like cherries, this may be the tobacco for you. A bit wet and hot if smoked too fast. A very smooth, sweet smoke. A bit of tongue bite too. Not nearly as bad as say Captain Black Royal.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

A very cherry aro. Smells like a mix between playdough and robotussin. But tastes a bit better. Gives me quite a bit of bite, but worth a try.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

well i took the dive and went for the tub..i cannot say i am very dissappointed but at that price tag you might as well score your self some macbaren,peter stockkeby or lane bulk. the flavoring is strong and it does taste as it smells indeed.the room note is accepted to some degree although it might be a little stale sweet if that makes any sense(smoking it outdoors brought more complements). the tobcco cut is fine chops very similar to half and half (go figure its the same comany), it burns well and even and the casing makes it one of the sweetest tobaccos i tried so if you are looking for strong cherry then by all means there you have it.

eaglessj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eaglessj (5)
Medium Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

I bought this because I was looking for an in your face wham bam "hello, Im Mr. Explosive cherry flavor how are you?" and I got just that. This blend smells great in the pouch and taste just like it smells.

If you want a mild light smoke then this is not for you. But if you want a face smashing cherry bomb then you will like it. I wanted something to change up the routine of my boswells blends. (raspberry cream being my favorite)

If you dont like aromatics, dont buy it (and please dont give it a bad review knowing you dont like aromatics) All in all Im probably gonna buy a tin to have around. If nothing else just so it makes the cabin smell nice!

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I would give this 3.5 stars. But, we can't do that.

First of all, any experienced pipe smoker knows that you can't judge a tobacco according to the first smell upon opening a package, but according to how it smokes.

Does this tobacco smell like "Play-Doh" upon opening a pouch? Yes.

But, so what?

It has enough cherry flavor to tell you that it is a cherry flavored aromatic, and enough flavoring beasties to beat down any misbehaving bites. It is also a full bodied smoke.

Quality control is great with this blend. If you smoked it five years ago and bought a pouch, today, it will still be the same blend. It delivers faithfully.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is really no good at all, I got blown away by its strength almost instantly. It tastes very strong, and unpleasant, also it makes my garage smell terrible. I have never felt so ill after smoking any pipe tobacco at all except for this one. It is a waste of money, even though a local tobacconist said it was great. Moral of the story dont buy this one unless you like feeling sick.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)
Mild Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Picked up a pouch at one of the local beverage centers. Upon opening the pouch I immediately was hit with a cough syrup, cherry lollipop something or other smell!

After a few bowls, I decided this wasn't for me. I had recently picked up a pouch of Carter Hall (very, very dry and older than me I think!)at a local grocery that I had only smoked several bowls from. I mixed the two in a roughly 50/50 blend and placed in one of my jars.

The CH has taken some of the moisture from the overly moist PBC and the overwhelming cherry of the PBC has mellowed. All in all, this mixture isn't a horrible smoke now!

vandiabolus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vandiabolus (7)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Only negatives I have to say about this, is I smoked a bowl 2 hours ago, and I still have a headache and I'm pretty sure it gave me cavities! A bit sweeter than I had bargained for I'm sure. Other than that, great price. Terrific pouch aroma. Made my apartment smell great. But nonetheless it feels as if i snorted a pixie stick. I will assume it's meant to be blended down a bit, and will definitely give that a shot. All in all the Black Cherry flavoring itself is great, I would just prefer a bit more subtle. I think I paid $2.39 for the 1.5 ounce pouch. I paid almost 4x that amount for the CB cherry pouch I have yet to finish an entire bowl of and is still sitting inside the drawer in my toolbox at work.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I'm somewhat dismayed by all the negative reviews. The pouch smells amazing. Smoke wise, its one of the few aromatics that actually tastes the way it smells and the room note is wonderful. It lit easily and burned smoothly.

Overall Paladin Black Cherry has become one of my "go to" aromatics. Its far better than its price (or negative reviews) would have you believe. Give it a try!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The cherry of the pouch aroma of this crimp-cut mixture is reminiscent of Baskin Robbins black cherry whilst behind it is the distinct amaretto-like aroma of Half & Half. The husky scent of burley remains in the back seat.

The basic tobacco flavor is good. The burleys are adequately husky though the virginias may seem a bit anemic. Throughout the bowl, the distinct flavoring of Half & Half is present, though the presence of cherry is more minimal than might be expected.

Masquerading as a completely separate brand, Paladin Black Cherry is nothing more than Half & Half sprayed with a black cherry topping. Half & Half devotees might enjoy this as a change-up.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

Maybe I don't like cherry flavors.. Maybe the tongue bite was what kept me back... Might have been the pipe gurgle, chemical cough syrup taste, hot smoke or near pipe destroying ghost it left in my pipe. This tobacco might be good blended again 1part to 3 parts Cavendish or Virginia.

ClintAR91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ClintAR91 (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Tolerable

I was in my local tobacco store and seen the package on the nearby shelf. I am always up for trying new brands and thought what could it hurt. First off the fragrance is somewhat alluring, but almost fake. It is strongly flavored but not like any other cherry flavor pipe tobacco I have smoked. It has a strong chemical taste right out of the freshly opened pouch, I aged it over 6 months and to me it made it worse. I am a big fan of cherry flavored pipe tobacco, and this has to be the first time I have disliked one this much.

IMA_Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IMA_Redneck (7)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tried this as I was looking for a cherry that was smokable after trying Captain Black Cherry which I thought was horrid. This is somewhat better but still has a chemical taste. Also it was a bit wet out of the pouch. After a bit of drying it was better. Finally mixed it 50/50 with Prince Albert and its not bad at all.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I really want to like this blend. The packaging is attractive, the pouch fragrance is alluring, it delivers a heckuva nicotine hit, and the room note is wonderful. However, it's the only blend I've ever found to be worse than Captain Black - gold label. It really does have all the terrible characteristics noted in past reviews below. If you feel you must try it, remember, you have been warned. You could likely duplicate this blend by soaking some Prince Albert with cherry cough syrup.

UPDATE Although I don't like to mix my own blends, I mixed this stuff 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh. It is an improvement over either blend smoked separately but it is still not worthwhile.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

I hadn't smoked in blend in twenty or more years until I saw a pouch in an Indian smokeshop a few weeks ago. I decided to revist the "Black Cherry" for old times sake. BIG MISTAKE! The revolting biomass found inside the pouch was even worse than I remembered! I can't find the words to describe the taste of these floor sweepings. I honestly believe this is the worst tobacco I've ever tasted and can't understand how it has remained on the market seemingly unchanged all these years. I'm equally surprised Pinkerton Tobacco has not been charged with crimes against humanity for producing this swill.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

I do not mind a good aromatic tobacco, but this one is over the top... Not at all recommended. One star...

Revisited 3/11 … As I can usually find something good in most blends; I went back for a retry on Paladin. Smoked very slowly it not all that bad. The cherry taste drops off as you burn down the bowl, and the burleys gradually takes over, with no goop or tongue bite. I went another step, and took the suggestions of several other reviewers and mixed it 50/50 with PA, and found this unlikely combination very worthwhile, in fact I bought another pouch of this stuff, just for that purpose. So for that reason I added a star.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

If you're a fan of non-sweet aromatics just avoid this blend and save the anguish. But for me inexpensive and relatively plentiful Paladin from Pinkerton is just the "nutz on the sundae." Especially if you: a) desire your cherry blend on the sweeter side and/or b) want a tobac you can mix with genetic burley or non-aromatic leaf to give it just the bit of cherry flavour you crave.

For all intents and purposes Paladin is most useful as a condiment type cherry flavour additive tobacco. A previous reviewer suggested mixing it with Prince Albert or other burleys and that's an excellent alternative; I've done the same with Carter Hall and Mixture 79 to great satisfaction. Even mixed it with Red Cap, a coarsely flavored tobac concoction that tastes more like cigarette than pipe tobacco. For me it managed to make the rest of the Red Cap pouch smokable.

So I puff Paladin straight as I am right now in a Great Dane Bent cob reserved especially for cherry blends. Or, keep it around as a trouble shooter mixer just like you would Tabasco or Frank's RedHot Sauce on the kitchen table.

Some of our purist non-aromatic reviewers rate Paladin as a pouch of "glop" but for we lovers of sweet aromatics its a cheap, pleasurable if not versatile date. Happy hunting.

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

While I don't usually like flavored tobaccos, this is one of the few that's I've actually enjoyed. This was a good, solid everyday smoke when I was just staring out, and when I went back to it in recent years, I still found it decent, and a step above many of its competitors.

Tastes good, burns well, good room note, inexpensive and readily available... not a bad choice.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Very Mild Extra Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Ugh...

My first (I think) Aro. Wow. Strong, yicky Sucrets flavor. I actually smoked through my first pouch on ignorance alone. My old lady bought me another, apparently as a tactic to help collect on life insurance. If I ever smoke another bowl, she'll probably cash in. Yes. THAT bad. Is it even tobacco? I'm too scared to find out.

Not Recommended, at all.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

If you never tryed this I would recomend you don't. Horrid casing to say the lest, not wasting time on my reiew, I'v found cherry to be a very difficult casing, harsh, soppy, hot and nasty. If your looking for cherry, may I suggest Half and Half, I think its in there, much better and a classic OTC. no stars here.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I usually like blends with a good strong taste. This stuff is like putting fifty cherry cough drops in your mouth at once. It also bit the heck out of me. I smoked one bowl of this crap in a cob and had to throw the cob away because that's all I could taste out of it afterwords.

If you like cherry find something else. Anything else.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

I would consider Paladin Black Cherry to be a "fun" tobacco, but not a "serious" one. It is cased so heavily in cherry flavoring that you might as well be smoking candy. It's sweet as heck and fun to try, but one mustn't try it in a good pipe or he would ruin it for good. If candy is what you're looking for, candy is what you'll get. If you're looking for meat. This isn't it.

Also, it doesn't cellar well. The casing goes stale and the flavor flatlines.

Dewey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dewey (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Today I officially converted from cigarettes to pipe. I went to the local tobacco shop and spent about 20 minutes just browsing around. I decided on a pouch that the clerk said was a popular seller (Carter Hall) and a pouch of this Paladin Black Cherry. I'm still a little confused about the types of tobaccos, the packaging says this is has flue cured and burley tobaccos, but the site says cavendish, ah well it will make sense one day I'm sure. So far these two tobaccos are all I have to go on, but after smoking a bowl of both, and then mixing a bowl of the two brands I've decided to keep the Paladin as a mixer for later tobacco experiments. My advice to beginner smokers don't buy this tobacco alone if you haven't tried pipe tobacco yet. It's a little harsh for lack of better words. On the plus side it smells really good and like some other reviews I read will likely make a really good mixer with quality tobaccos, maybe a 20% mix or less.

Sperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sperry (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this was my first tobacco and i thought it was a wonderful introduction to the world of pipe smoking. the pleasant aroma quickly filled the air and everyone in the room was drawn in by the smell. the taste was mild but not a great one. it bites extremely easy if you dont take care. i probably wont buy it again, however i do recommend it to first time/novice smokers like myself because of the great room note and mild flavor. also use on a pipe that you dont care for much, it will change the taste of your pipe.

Tripp_655321 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripp_655321 (6)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is heavily cased with a cherry flavor that tastes like couph syrup. Not a good smoke.... but if you dry it a bit, and mix it it can be. I dried this a bit, mixed it with a little PA Vanilla, PA, and Skandinavik full aroma and it was great. It tasted great and smelled like a baked good consisting of chocolate, vanilla, and cherry. My girlfriend really appriciated the smell. You have to rub out the Skandinavik alot to make this work as it burns way different.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the first tobaccos I have ever tried. I was caught by the name and price of the tin.

The casing is a bit strong on this one, and it is pretty strong right out of the tin. I would like to point out that if you are a fan of cherry flavoring, this one is for you. It reminded me of a cheap, off-brand black cherry cola that RC puts out, both in smell and taste. If you can get past the chemically taste, and have a sweet tooth, it's actually not that bad.

It also tends to smoke a bit hot, and will bite if you don't take care.

If you are trying this for the first time, put it in a pipe that you don't care much for, as the flavoring on this one will pervade a pipe for years to come.

I'm currently aging my tin to see just what effect that has on it; I suspect that the chemical taste will probably subside.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My wife really enjoys the times I smoke this, and thats the only reason I'll smoke it. It smells great when opened but I'm not a fan of cherry flavoring, and it's rather overwhelming.

I rarely have to worry about bite most of the time, but this stuff I have to puff very gently, if a strongly flavored blend is your cup of tea then you might enjoy it.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Every time I see a pipe tobacco at the store that I don't know, I've got the impulse for trying it and this happened to me with this blackcherry, long history short, disappointment because is a mild to weak strength tobacco without a good flavor and tastes like smoking tobacco with mold, yuck. I have the feeling that I have to thoroughly clean my pipe, I mean at the Bio-Hazard level, You know what I mean?

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

You get what the package says - "Black Cherry." I smoked quite a bit of this during my early piper days and always found it a pleasant smoke. I enjoy cherry flavoring and the beautiful room note a good cherry blend can produce. Long gone are the days I would choose a pipe tobacco based on its flavoring, since I now enjoy the taste of good tobacco first, and any added flavoring has to play second fiddle. I never found it to be medicinal, nor did I find it harsh or bitter. A bit gurgly, yes. Dottle, some. Inexpensive, you bet! All in all 3 stars for those starting out, but only 2 stars for those who have developed a taste for fine tobacco.

BriarChild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChild (11)
Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking a pipe for quite a long time and have always thought that I could smoke just about anything. This I could not smoke. I should say that I am not a huge fan of cherry flavoring to begin with, so that needs to be taken into account. Even still, I felt like I was getting repeatedly pummelled over the head with a bag of rocks soaked in Cherry cough syrup. That said, the price is good, and I have read and heard that it becomes much nicer when cut with Prince Albert or Carter Hall. So I will give it another shot that way when the desire strikes me.

appy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
appy (7)

Greetings brothers and sisters of the briar. My daughter purchased 2 pouches of this stuff as part of a birthday gift for dear ole dad. I just chuckled and tossed it into my desk drawer. 6 months later, and a family dinner she inquired as to the tobac she had gotten me. Not to hurt her feelings I dug it out and in a grabow i fired up. WOW. the aging did wonders!! The drying removed most of the preservatives. Bare in mind that OTC tobaccos are treated to withstand long shelf lives. Nice cut, not sticky as when new, the strong aroma deminished. First lighting, cherry aroma but not strong. Mid bowl, nice smooth burly. Bottom of bowl, still flavorful but not wet goopy or bitter. The room note is very nice. All in company loved it. All I can say is get a pouch and let it age in its opened pouch, you will be in for a treat. I have 5 pouches brewing away in its mason jar. I have tried much higher priced aromatics that I didnt enjoy nearly as much. I will report back when a year or so aging is completed.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I remembered this from many years ago and decided to try it again for the review. I could not find it locally and had to wait for an order of it to arrive. It came today and I wish the mail man had lost it.

I did not like it years ago but tastes change as you get older. To be completely fair I had to try it again. It was like someone had tried to shove a cherry tree up my nose. I see another poster has mixed it with PA and I find it slightly tolerable that way. I have serious doubts it will cellar very well and I'm thankful I only ordered a pouch of it. 3/4 of the way through the first bowl it bit my tongue like a dull chain saw.

Like any new tobacco I try I used it in a cob just in case it was really bad. I'm glad I did. Once the mixture is finally gone I'll be tossing the cob. I can't recommend this even to the very poor. Being cheap is it's only saving grace. If you are desperate enough to buy it try mixing in some saw dust. It can't hurt.

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

wow, this stuff is potent. The smell is of some type of cherry chemical that is unbelievably strong. I agree with most of the reviews on here. This stuff smokes hot and taste like cherry scented cleaning chemicals.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Typical mass produced sticky tobacco. You'll see what I mean if you try it.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Mild Extra Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Before you even light it, your pipe tastes like a cough drop. Took a few bowls before I could get the taste out of it. I don't reccomend it at all. Unless you REALLY like blends where all you taste is the aromatic (and really like cherry cough drops), don't waste your money.

DrugStorePuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrugStorePuffer (6)

I guess this is my first choice in a ready to smoke tobacco. Good taste, pleasant room note, burns well and has a good price. I have taken to my own blend and have yet to find a "ready to smoke tobacco" that I like as much. Taste could be a little better but there is no bite and I have not noticed any excessive puddles in the bottom of my pipe.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Pouch smells like bing cherries. Judging from previous reviews I'm lucky I bought an old, dried out pouch from a shop that doesn't sell much pipe tobacco. I haven't experienced wetness or goop at bottom of bowl. So, like with many other moist tobaccos, a good drying might be a good thing. I found it to be an "ok" smoke. Not ever going to make it as one of my favorites. Too harsh for my taste. On the plus side, it leaves a rather pleasant room note. Sweet and rich tobacco smell. I could see how it would mix well with Prince Albert.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Mild Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant

Not sure why I bought this. Curiosity I guess. Absolutely horrible chemical cherry taste. Smoked 1/4 of a bowl and couldn't smoke any more. After wards I packed my pipe with another tobacco but still can't get rid of that faint cough drop taste from my pipe. Don't do it.

bjshouma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bjshouma (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I actually liked this blend about halfway through the bowl, i guess it settles into the wood and lets the taste come out a bit. i tried to mix some half and half with Prince Albert and the taste was incredible, i loved it. I think that Palladin needs to go ahead and pre-mix some and I'll be sure and buy it! Also, i find that the room note, while not in my top ten, is a close top 14 or 15.

tycobby2003 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tycobby2003 (4)
Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the worst tobacco ever if you don't know it taste like pink urinal cakes there I said it

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is actually a re-write of my original review on Paladin Black Cherry.I've been off imports for a long time..my return to american burley blends made a permanant comeback,especially Paladin.When I think of aromatics I think of pipe clogging,chemical flavor,overly-moist,quick burning tobaccos with not enough flavor to enjoy past the few puffs.Paladin is consisted of Cavendish and Burley and the pouch aroma has a cherry smell that will make your mouth water.Upon your first and only lighting the hearty cherry casing is very evident but not in a bad way,after several puffs the cherry flavor mellows out letting the burley/cavendish tobaccos get it's share of flavor.once you get to probably the lower 1/2 of the bowl the cherry dissapears and burley shines through with a smooth nutty flavor that lasts through the rest of the bowl.In my opinion I think the cavendish is cased and the burley is non-cased, and this is one of the few aromatics that doesn't burn my tongue(aromatics tend to make pipesmokers 'puff happy' or as a result of the casing).A highly underrated blend I highly recommend!

Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

I had previoulsy made reference to this tobacco in my review of Gawith's Grousemoor, but had not dared review it as such. Well, here's my relative opinion.

Within the universe of heavily cased over-the-counter tobaccos, this one is on the verge of a cosmic explosion: the deliquescent chemical cherry sauce highly concentrated in the core of the mixture breaks lose at the touch of the flame and, very much like the Big Bang theory, takes you to the farthest confines of an unexplained time-space continuum, leaving you, your palate, and your pipe in a point of no return.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

The first time I smoked this was years ago when experimenting with aromatics. It was the worst. The taste was like nasty plastic. Even though I didn't know anything other than aromatics, this had to be the worst, right from the first puff, and had to force myself to finish the bowl, then the rest of the pouch. The wretched plastic taste seemed diminished in later bowls, but I have never forgot it and have never bought it since.

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I guess this one is for the old timers that has'nt had the pleasure of a quality european blend. I'm lucky to have started out smoking the good stuff years ago. I like to experiment and while I've stayed away from grocery store tobacco I tried this awhile back and can honestly say, never again!!I'll leave this for those who grew up with it or just plain got used to it!

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Extremely Mild Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming

This stuff is just awfull. I really don't know why I bought it, Hope fully I have not ruined a good pipe.

If ever approached by a pouch of this, just run the other way.

Eng3ine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eng3ine (1)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I understand that this is a drugstore tobacco. Even still, it is not one that I will be purchasing again. The cherry smell from the pouch can be pleasing. It actually starts off nice, with the first few draws being fairly tasty. However The first quarter/third of the bowl tend to give false hope for what is to come. This blend tends to turn wet very easily, and once it does it becomes sour beyond belief. The horrible tatse stays in your mouth, and can even set into the pipe itself if you are not careful. And tongue bite? Burns and stings horribly. Buy a candle if you want a cherry smell in the room.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the worst blends I've ever smoked. If I want cherry, I'll stick with Middletons. Smells and tastes like Robitussin! At least Middletons Cherry is taste good and for an aromatic, doesn't ruin your pipe. I don't know how a blend like this stayed on the market, and a blend like Sensation was discontiued? Go Figure!

ABSSiegel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABSSiegel (21)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

What a waste of money! One of the worst OTC tobaccos I've ever smoked! If you could smoke cough syrup, this would be it.The only redeeming factor was the price. That should have been my clue that this was a terrible pipe tobacco. What garbage!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Chemo-Cherry-Toxic-Sludge.

YUM!.............NOT!

smallshinythings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smallshinythings (4)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I admit this guilty pleasure. No, not a favorite. No, not admired, but, like a fast food hamburger it's always exactly what I expect. I tend away from aromatics, but the smell in the bag is just too good not to open it and stick your nose in a few times a day.

The down side, I have to keep it on it's own and not let it play with other tobaccos or it's all I can smell in the cabinet. It makes my throat hurt. I taste chemicals and it wrecks pipes.

Nevertheless, I have a friend and this is all he smokes, so when I have the Grabow on the boat, I let him fill the bowl and it's as good as a hot dog at a ball game.

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Medium Extra Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Like others, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the chemical cherry smell. After lighting, I couldn't smoke more than a couple bowls before I was ready to go back to a straight burley. If you cut it with a black cav and/or a burley, it's just tolerable.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Recently, I've been retrying tobaccos that I did not like years ago. A fellow that I was stationed with in Fort Knox 35 years ago positively thought this tobacco was great. I did not share his opinion back then.

Unfortunately, I bought a pack of this again. It's just as awful as it was years ago. Strong, imitation flavor, almost like Captain Black Cherry.

Middleton's Cherry Blend is an better smoke, less cherry, and much better quality.

Zahdio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zahdio (4)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this because someone recommended it to me. It had an intense, but pleasing smell when I opened the pouch. I enjoyed smoking it, although it did have a bit of a bite on it. It seemed hotter than I expected. All of the characteristics seem exaggerated.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To begin with this blend is good for a drugstore tobac.I got pouch cause my order of the finer stuff is not here. This smells like black cherry soda when lit but smell like cherry cough syrup in the pouch. The blend has some moisture and it packs well, at first light the cherry is a little strong and starts to mellow out. I only smoked two thirds of the bowl and that was well enough to quit while its good any further will lead to bitter bad tastes and sour mouth syndrome. I recommend trying on a cob before you use your favorite pipe ,but it is not bad drugstore brand but it not great .

I gave three stars because of it being a drugstore blend.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Extremely Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This is another one of those tobacco's I tried in my broke/early years of pipesmoking. I don't know which one is worse, this or Middleton's Apple! It smells in the pouch like the tobacco has been dipped directly in soda cherry syrup and upon packing and lighting tastes sour, like burned cherry pits the taste stuck to my tongue and after 1/2 a bowl the roof of my mouth was singed beyond belief. Then the flavor stayed for what felt like an eternity in the bowl of the pipe! Awful beyond reproach!!

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Black Cherry Paladin is more of 1.5 stars for me. It is an inexpensive smoke and not bad for price. It is mild in its flavor and wasn't over powering. The taste was more of burrning dried cherry pits rather than black cherries. Anyway, its just ok. But for the low cost tobaccos its good one.

FenderGtrsRock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FenderGtrsRock (3)
Overwhelming Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I really dont care for this blend, It tends to bite quite a bit.. Upon opening the pouch it had an artificial cherry taste, like swedish fish sort of.

After lighting it bascially tasted like if you where to build a tiny campfire out of brown contruction paper and having a lego man cook a swedish fish over said tiny campfire.

Not recommended in the least.

Morax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morax (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

ok after reading some of the reviews on this i figured why not. so i go to local store, drop 1.69 and bring it home.. yeah ok nifty name.. nice price. open the pouch and dont smell nothing.. then it hits me whoa sneaky it does smell and it is strong at first if you are not used to it. I would say over all taste for this is to sit relax forget you are smoking a pipe and just leasurly smoke it. you will enjoy the taste if you like flavored smokes.. tongue bite oh YEAH she will bite if you force it but relax enjoy it and it really is not too bad.. didnt have any of the troubles other have said about it with being wet, and or clumpy or anything after a half bowl.. i didnt mind it too bad over all. usually after lunch i fire a bowl and relax with it for oh 1/2 hour then i am good to go.. the key though is dont hurry it will bite ya

ZionThePissed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZionThePissed (9)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was low on cash, and being a new pipe smoker at the time, the name appealed to me. I bought a large 12 oz. tin because it was slashed at 60% off. I think I payed about 5 to 8 pounds. Not a bad price. I opened the tin and it gave off a pleasant aroma, as one of you before mentioned that it smelled like shasta black cherry soda. I lit it up and it had a strong cherry flavour, and a pleasing aroma to those who happened to pass by. Though it smokes quite hot and can burn the mouth of an inexperienced smoker, it still can yeild a pleasant an inexpensive novelty smoke. I would recommend it to an intermediate smoker. I tried a pouch version of this years later in the states and I found it to be extremely disappointing. Goopy, awful tasting and just about clogged up my pipe....I would recommend the tin.

JulioJustice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JulioJustice (12)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Shopping with a 3 and 5 year old at 8am on a monday morning can lead you to do weird things. Like look seriously at the pipe tobacco section of your local supermarket.

Reef, Capt, and others were there, but Paladin I had never seen before. As a Early Morning Smoke, 965, Royal Yacht, Nightcap rotational (throughout the day)smoker I wanted to throw somthing differant in the mix. I spent the $1.50 and got home. Truth be told I was a bit excited. I hoped I had found the "dimond in the rough". A good base aromatic that I could enjoy. But that was all a Pipe dream.

I got home jumped on here and read what my fellow pipazoids thought. I was dicouraged. But y'all were NOT going to ruin my fun!

I opend the bag and WHAP! Smelled like melted swedish fish and cherry coke syrup. Ugh!

There is no way in hell I'm smokin this stuff alone.

I looked in my baccy drawer and found some Mecclend Perique. mixed em 60-40 and prayed for the best.

Not bad at all. Blended with a stronger spice tobacco to tone down the synthetic casing proved quite satisfying. FOr about 15 minutes then it started to taste like the sole of a landfill workers boot.

This tobacco sucks.

-JJ

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Out of the pouch smells like cherry pie filling with a chemical undertone. Doesnt smoke or taste too bad, although there is still that unnatural chemical tang. On the packaging it says "It only tastes expensive", well, it doesnt. For a drugstore tobacco its not "too" bad, but there are others that are better.

CpnFred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CpnFred (5)
Medium Strong Full Strong

I just bought a pouch of this stuff a few days ago at the supermarket. I was interested to try some tobaccos that are relatively cheap. I had high hopes for Paladin specifically because I like sweet and fruity tasting blends. I opened the pouch and was instantly put off by the smell. The tobacco smelled like candy but in that artificially flavored way. I tried a half bowl of it and then stopped because I got worried it would ruin my pipe. I then promptly threw the stuff away. I could see smoking this stuff if you live in the middle of nowhere and can't get you hands on Captain Black, but other than that, this stuff is nasty.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild Strong Full Strong

As said in my other review today I've been on a cherry tobacco kick lately.It is now over. Of the 2 I tried (tho other being Borkum Reef Cherry Liquor) This one is the worst. In fact I'm not sure if this is tobacco. Now that I think about it I should have just chopped up the money I spent on the 2, soaked it in cherry kool-aid and smoked that. "It only tastes expensive" Who the F*&% do they think their kidding? Rev 1/1/05 Have a great New Year. Just don't spend it with the Paladin

Mild Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

This stuff is fairly common in my part of the world. It is a wonderful smelling blend, particularly suited for residing in my handkerchief drawer. It is not a good smoke. You will have a sticky, gooey mess in your pipe, so take care...

vmalloc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vmalloc (10)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a man who often dabbles in the "drug store" blends, I'm here to stand up for the ridiculed Paladin.

Paladin is the strongest cherry aromatic I've seen, and I appreciate it mainly for that reason. People that are into natural or english blends won't care for this one, because pretty much the only flavor that comes out is the cherry casing. But you know what, you guys aren't buying this stuff to get the natural taste of its drugstore-y mass production tobacco..... right???

The last blend like this I tried was the Middleton Cherry Blend, and I have to say I've enjoyed this much more so far. I never really got into Middleton's, and I think the reason is that the cherry casing was actually kindof dull. I've always hoped for a REALLY STRONG FLAVORED aromatic, and Paladin delivered. If I buy a blend that promises to taste like black cherries, I want somebody to take that flavor and smash it into my mouth with a sludgehammer compared to some of the stuff I've had so far. I don't want a half-assed tobacco -and- a half-assed casing - drop the nuke on me!

To be fair, the flavor does start to go a little bleh halfway through the smoke. The cherry flavor seems to die down a bit, coming back occasionally but never to the strength or consistency of the first half of the bowl.

Paladin also has some applicative positives. It stays lit very well for me, despite being a tad moist. A bowl of this smokes a really long time for some reason, and as a natural result gave me a fair amount of nicotine (maybe I'm just out of practice). It was pretty goopy, but I smoked it in a filter pipe so it wasn't a huge issue. Bowl aftertaste/smell isn't any better/worse than all the other stuff I throw into it. Didn't bite at all.

It's not the "Paladin" of all pipe tobaccos, but it's no loser either. There are things far more worthy of a trash bin. Then again, a lot of the people with the worst words for Paladin also had some of the best words for those hardcore Latakia blends, so maybe there's a bit of partisanship leaking into these reviews. ;-)

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Pouch aroma on this stuff is wonderful. It smells like something you should put over ice cream.

Just don't smoke it. If you look up the term "tongue bite" you find that this blend is synonymous with the term.

I wanted to like it. It smelled so good in the pouch. It tasted foul.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I have mixed feelings about most cherry blends. Most cheery blends are horrific and the worst of tobaccos with casings or aromatics. The only cherry blends that I liked were Lane Limited bulk Very Cherry, Captain Black Cherry and Middletons Cherry Blend. I like Paladin a lot. It has a great pouch smell and aroma when smoked. It does taste very similar to Black Cherry Shasta Soda or Cheerwine Soda with a hint of tobacco taste. I happen to like Black Cherry Shasta and Cheerwine so the taste was a great surprise. For a blend that is so heavily cased it is not goopy in the pipe or sticky on the hands. The cherry flavor is very strong and closer in power to Captain Black Cherry or Lane?s Very Cherry but totally unique. This is one to smoke slowly and I would use either a cheap briar or a corncob with this cause even though it does not leave any goop in the pipe the flavor will take over the pipe. If you like a strong cherry flavor that dominates the taste with very little tobacco flavor at all give Paladin a try. If you are looking for more tobacco taste with a good cheery overtone, I would recommend Middleton?s Cherry Blend instead.

scootpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootpipe (9)
Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable

yuck! I gave this stuff a second chance and after 2 bowls of this I threw the package in the trash. I hope I didn't offend my waste basket.?/!

Don't waste $1.99. If you must just give the clerk your 2 dollars and leave.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Very Mild Very Strong Extra Full Pleasant

While I've tasted worse tobaccos than this drugstore blend, I've also tasted much, much better. The name says it all: it is a VERY CHERRY aromatic. If you like cherry flavour, go ahead and give it a whirl. Just be sure to put this goopy mixture in a corn cob so you don't ruin your good briar. I really can't complain too much - the pouch cost me $1.85.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Picked up a pouch of this and apple. Had a nasty sweet tooth one day after work.....

Not goopy in the pouch, but the Shasta taste does get old after a bowlful or two. Good for being out in public, and a nice potpurri on my desk thats about it.

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Very Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco I purchased. The above reviews describe it well as to flavor, burn, moisture content etc...

Learning to pack a pipe and use proper drawing techniques with this blend seems to have given me an advantage when I began to explore other tobaccos.

Within a month of starting to smoke a pipe, I had found a whole world of brands and blends and settled in on primarily full bodied English blends.

Consequently, not wanting to waste what I had of the Paladin, I experimented with blending.

This is my favorite aromatic to take out in public: Blend 3-2-1 Paladin Black Cherry, Blending Latakia, Blending Perique.

The Lane or Consolidated Cherry's work well also, but the topping in Paladin so overpowers the aroma of the latakia and perique that the non-smoking public still turn their noses toward you, while you get a flavorfull smokiness and spiciness from the blend.

No mater what, or how much, I have blended into this however has aleviated the dottle left over.

(I am just resigned to have a Cherry blend of somekind on hand. As a child I was facinated by pipes and the cherry aroma was usually what I encountered when I met a pipe smoker in public.)

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

Pounder 5000 hit the nail on the head. This blend does indeed smell and taste just like Shasta Black Cherry soda. I don't think this is too bad if you know what you are getting. Don?t expect a complex blend of fine tobaccos that will produce a heavenly smoking experience. If you expect a nice aromatic and like cherry than this will do well. I might smoke a pouch on the odd (very odd!) occasion as a little of this goes a long way.

Very Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Pipestud is right! You could do worse if you are looking for a nice aromatic. On the other hand you could do much better. This was the second blend I tried right after Captain Black Royal Blue and it was really cool for about half a packet. Unfortunately, after that the novelty of smoking shasta black cherry soda wears off, it pretty much loses its appeal.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild Medium to Strong Extra Full Strong

Strong Cherry Blast from the very beginning. Turns into a drab cherry taste 1/2 way down.

It is gooey and sticky. It smokes hot. I detected very little tobacco essance. Pure unadulterated cherry.

Paladin- ....Have Cherry will travel.

Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend tastes exactly like it smells, sweet black cherries!

It is extremely mild and cool. The stoving keeps this from biting the tongue, even with the casing. I found a pouch at a drug store a few months ago, and had to revisit this classic old blend. Yes, it is of drug store quality, but should be given a fair shake. If you want a really sweet, light tobacco taste, and don't want to purchase a goop laden aromatic, then take up with Paladin for a nostalgic ride. I smoked it in my 20's, 30's and 40's...and one pouch every ten years seems to be enough for me. Uh oh, I'm getting worried. I turn 50 later this year. Gulp!

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

I first started smoking at the age of 18 , and smoked a long stemmed billard while playing RPG's . What other tobacco would a Palladin smoke I ask you ?What better way to get even with the DM than billowing clouds of cherry smoke ? I had to have it , just for the name . Even today its smell brings back fond memories of hack and slash . Serious pipe smokers beware of this one . Good to send to friends as a gag (!) gift . Yuck!

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Extremely Mild Strong Overwhelming Strong

OK, I must admit to being somewhat bigoted. This isn't the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked (that was Captain Black white label) but it /is/ the first tobacco I ever bought for myself at the ripe old age of 14. Hey, it sounded good at the time.

Sticky, goopy and very moist in the package, this tobacco is fine-cut, dark and packed well. The initial light was filled with an overwhelmingly sweet and heavy petro-cherry flavor that made it completely plausible that there was no actual tobacco involved in its processing.

It tasted like candy until the half-bowl point, when it started tasting like smoking an old cigarette butt with a hard cherry cough drop in my mouth. Ugh. I was left with a sore tongue and a large wet plug of smelly dottle in my pipe.

I could probably get a much better smoke out of it now using better technique and broken-in pipes, but I think I'll pass :)