Iwan Ries

Paladin is an aromatic blend of flue cured and burley tobaccos.

Notes: Previously manufactured by Pinkerton.

BrandLane Limited
1.9
RondyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RondyR (4)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Shame that one cannot give negative stars. This is the exact brand of tobacco that Lucifer gives people in Hades to smoke. If you made the terrorists smoke this godawful mess, they'd gladly turn in their own mothers. I believe that I would enjoy smoking fresh cow dung more than this crap. I hate this blend so very much that I created an account here primarily to review this atrosicity and to let you all know just how much that I abhor it. It is bland, boring, cough syrup nonsense. If you put it into a briar, you will quickly discover that you need to call a Pastor, a Priest, or a member of clergy to perform an exorcism of your pipe; your average cleaning and salt-and-Everclear cleansing will need help of a divine nature.

If someone offers you a bowl or a pouch of Paladin Black Cherry, know that they are doing so because they hate you. Run fast, run far, just run.

Pipe Used: MM Legend Cob, Various Briar

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: A slow and painful death..

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I picked this up on a whim the other day at the local B&M. I'm pretty particular about cherry blends, as most of them bite like hell and taste acrid. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but I figured if I didn't like it I'd either give it to my brother or mix it with Lane BCA until it was all gone. Upon opening the pouch the tangy cherry aroma was very present, as well as a soft vanilla scent. It was sopping wet, so I knew I'd have to let it dry. I left the pouch open over night and it was nearly to the proper moisture level by morning. It packed well into my cob and took a flame fairly well after 2 false lights. The blast of cherry flavor was definitely there! I was surprised to find out that it wasn't biting me, even after giving it a good ol' strong puff. It burnt hot though, and I slowed down my puffing out of fear of a burn through. I never did get bit though, which is odd. Half way through the bowl the cherry backs off and the toasty tobacco flavor comes through, giving it that old school pipe tobacco taste and smell. I must admit: I'm really liking this stuff right now. It isn't Cult Blood Red Moon, but it isn't suppose to be. It's a drug store burley blend. It is MUCH better than Borkum Riff Cherry, Captain Black Cherry, and Middleton's Cherry - all of which bite and taste like cough syrup. I give this a solid 2.5. It isn't something I'd recommend to those who dislike cherry or fruity blends. I wouldn't recommend it to a new pipe smoker, because I'm sure there is some bite in there somewhere. I also don't think that a lot of smokers will find this enjoyable because it burns hot (due to the amount of moisture in it, I'm sure). It's a good workshop tobacco, and I appreciated it for the change-of-pace it provides.

Pipe Used: Cob, Dr. Grabow

Age When Smoked: Fresh, after airing overnight

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Smoke and Vapor, Wytheville, VA

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (24)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

First of all, if you are a new pipe smoker never don't try a baccy baseb on some other person's opinion. When I first stsrted smoking many pipe smokers warned against Balkan Sobranie. I scoffed at them and went ahead. Basically it was all I could afford at the time.

First and foremost Paladin's Black Cherry is affordable which should not be under rated.

I like to smoke it after smoking too many saddles and horse blankets. The sheer in your face blast of cherries helps restore my tastebuds. By the way, if you think this blend will ghost a pipe, you should try some of the latakias I've been smoking.

Tonalsmoker was dead on in his description of this tobacco, but I would like to add this would be a great tobacco for a new smoker. First, if you smoke Paladin slowly it will not bite. Second, it generally stays lit and smokes a long time. Third, you can get a little nic-kick from this. If you are an experienced smoker, then this would go under my heading of fun tobaccos. They are different and help wake up my taste buds. Find what you like & smoke it all up. It is an easy 2.5.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is without equal. It is my baseline smoke for 0.0. Soggy, chemical tasting and, for my money, the worst tobacco I ever had the misfortune to smoke. But, like Mixture 79 and Captain Black, somebody must like it a lot. Just not me. Paladin rates a "minus" star rating.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: Tobacco retailer

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Mixture No.79.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Very Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

For some reason, my dad loved this and it smelled "pipey" when I was a kid. Smoking it for myself was completely different.

I tried this in 1999 and it nearly turned me off of pipe-smoking completely. It was about the third or fourth blend I tried. Take some tobacco and dip it in a cherry Icee or Slush Puppy and you will get the same taste. I tried it again recently and it is more mild, but similar taste.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Spectator Diplomat

Purchased From: Ingles

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ok, let's get some things straight. This is not the same cough medicine tasting tobacco it was was a few years ago when Pinkerton made it. Most blends that Lane took over the recently they ruined. Borkum riff being one of them ! But that's another review. This tobacco actually got better. It has a light cherry flavor now and a good old fashioned American burley taste. Actually, it tastes like the Pinkerton version of Half and Half with a mild, juicy cherry flavor !! I'm beside myself, can't believe it, this is actually good ! It has a mild reserved cherry burley aroma. Its good in a briar, and spectacular in a cob ! Its a cherry burley , finally ! A straight up cherry burley that's real burley, and real cherry ! Its mild, cool, and dry I can't believe it? Its not fancy, super sweet, elegant, or gourmet in anyway, shape or form. Its just a good honest smoke ! This is a good old American smoke through and through. Try it, you won't be disappointed and you may find a new go to smoke as well !

Pipe Used: leonessa billiard, country gentleman cob.

Similar Blends: Old Half and Half Pinkerton and American Tobbaco version..

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

I do not mind a good aromatic tobacco, but this one is over the top... Not at all recommended. One star...

Revisited 3/11 … As I can usually find something good in most blends; I went back for a retry on Paladin. Smoked very slowly it not all that bad. The cherry taste drops off as you burn down the bowl, and the burleys gradually takes over, with no goop or tongue bite. I went another step, and took the suggestions of several other reviewers and mixed it 50/50 with PA, and found this unlikely combination very worthwhile, in fact I bought another pouch of this stuff, just for that purpose. So for that reason I added a star.

LongRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LongRider (3)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Greetings Friends. I thought I would offer my comments on this obviously quite "underrated" blend. I actually think it's pretty good for a "fruity aromatic." To me it tastes like Half & Half only with the cherry top flavor increased exponentially. I guess I would include two caveats: (1) Avoid it if you don't like cherry flavoring in general and, (2) definitely open the pouch and let it dry over night. STG uses too much moister in their packaging with both this and H & H.

Pipe Used: MM "Country Gentleman" cob

Age When Smoked: Allowed to dry overnight in the pouch

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Similar Blends: Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Half & Half.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I try to never throw away tobacco but I made an exception with this blend. If this was the first tobacco I tried I would not be smoking a pipe today. No taste and burns hot. Picked it up a a local store because I ran out of tobacco while out. Should have waited till I got home. Smell of a cherry lifesaver.

Pipe Used: basket briar

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)

This was better that expected. Better in a cob or meer (quite nice in fact in the meer) than briar. Tends to be hot if puffed too fast but there is a nice cherry LifeSaver flavor. It fades in and out (possibly due to my smoking technique). However, the underlying tobacco is not bad at all. No off tastes. Not sure I would buy it again, but it was not a bad experience.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: fresh pouch

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Paladin Black Cherry is the poster child for goopy aromatics.

The stoved cavendish tobacco presumably is some sort of mixture between burley and Virginia, but there is no way of telling. There is no tobacco flavor to be found.

The taste is a strongly artificial cherry, quite similar to Robitussin cough medicine. That is a prescription only cough medicine because it contains codeine. It would be better if this stuff actually were flavored with Robitussin. A little narcotic would improve the smoking experience.

There may be some pipesters who enjoy a very strong cherry flavor who might find this to their liking, in spite of its artificiality, but even so they will find Paladin goes bitter and goopy half way down the smoke.

Yes, you can make this smokable. Cut it with at least 50% Prince Albert. But with that much of another tobacco it is a totally different mixture.

Do I have anything positive to say about Paladin? Yep. The room note is OK.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

...While I prefer strong Virginia Plug/Flake tobaccos and have for the past 46 years...I am reacquainting myself with many of the old "drug store" tobaccos, and as in some cases, I very much like what I have found...

I smoked Paladin back in the early-mid 1960's and didn't care for overly sweet flavored tobaccos...that said, I recently purchased a pouch of Paladin and this version is produced by Lane, not Pinkerton...The Pinkerton version was a rough cut similar to Granger/Half & Half with a strong cherry flavoring...I find the Lane version "rounder", appropriate moisture, more of a "crimp" type cut, and while still sweet and flavor laden, not so much as it used to be... Frankly, I like it.

While it will not be in my top 15 tobaccos in rotation, I believe I'll keep a tub of it around, as I do with many of the old burley tobaccos..Perhaps worthy of another trial for those wishing to judge differences in this version vs Pinkerton's.

enjoyed in a group 4 or larger size pipe...

...a pipe is to be savored...

BlueTomorrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlueTomorrow (15)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff has a ridiculously strong cherry flavor. As soon as I sniffed the pouch, the only thing I could smell was Jolly Rancher candy.

Thankfully in the smoke you can taste a little more than just black cherry. It's a boring flavor however, without a whole lot else going on to back up the cherry flavor except some sweetness. Any pleasant flavors from the burleys or Virginias are lost on me due either to their low quality or because the cherry topping dominates whatever flavors they had.

It's seriously far too moist in the pouch and smokes pretty wet--it will definitely bite if you puff too fast. The room note wasn't as nice as I expected given how strong the cherry flavor is. If you really like cherry candy then this might be up your alley, but it's tough to recommend given how poorly it smokes.

Age When Smoked: pouch

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)

It's not bad, but it's not good either; it's just kind of,"there." The pouch note is pleasant, like Luden's Sore Throat Lozenges. It is described as being Burley and Virginia tobaccos but you will taste neither. The cherry topping is not as strong as STG/Lane LTD's other cherry blends, as a consequence, I think it might have less of a tendency to bite than does Cherry Captian Black or Lane's Very Cherry, both of which can bite if you don't take it easy. Still, I'd take it easy with this one too, it could bite. It is a typical, Burley OTC codger blend but I don't get any acrid hints of cigarettes that I sometimes get with other OTC Burleys such as Prince Albert, Velvet, or Half & Half. If I was driving across the country and ran out of good tobacco, and this was all I could get at some gas-station, I would not be distraught, it would due until I got back to civilization and could get something better.

Purchased From: Some little hole in the wall in Woodward, Oklahoma

Similar Blends: Almost every other Lane LTD Cherry blend.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (25)
Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

OTC review of...Paladin Black Cherry--I felt compelled to do a review on this due to my self proclaimed expertise in OTC cherry blends, skills i learned by smoking pouch after pouch, ounce after ounce of low rated, common cherry blends. It's a really unusable skill like VCR repair but nonetheless i smoke a lot of cherry blends and tried this. Pouch note is an unbearable chemical smell, almost makes you not want to smoke it, but I did and it is actually pretty good. It has a very good taste no chemicals come through no goop like people say either and no bite. However it is what it is, a chemical cherry bland -add to the stock in the garage tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: new, just got

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: Captain Black Cherry.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Lane Limited - Paladin Black Cherry.

Although it's labelled as being coarsely cut, the bottom quarter of my pouch could be called Dust. And the rest isn't exactly 'coarse'. The smell from it's a strong cherry one, and as this was supplied in a loose pouch, not factory sealed, it's done a bit of breathing and has an acceptable amount of moisture.

The smoke would make a pleasant change for a few folks, from the usual heavy black Cavendish cherry blends: Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry, Samuel Gawith Black Cherry, etc. There's lots of cherry taste, but it isn't dripping with vanilla gloopiness. This is the reason for the lesser rating, because I actually enjoy some stickiness in my cherry blends! The cherries aren't too sweet, neither: strong, but true. The burn from it's well behaved, giving cool smoke, without bite.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: nice.

Like I said, it's a little different to most cherry blends, but the things that make it different are the things I miss! Somewhat recommended:

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One reviewer hit the nail on the head when he cited Half and Half with cherry flavoring added. I definitely got the flavor of the ole Burley and bright with this one. The cherry flavor is similar to a Luden throat drop, which isn't all bad. I have polished off a pouch of this stuff in the last 2 days and while I cannot say it is a favorite of mine it is not the worst I have smoked either. Will I buy it again, I doubt it! Do I recommend it, only because it is on my list of codger blends to try. A word of caution with this one is to use a reasonable cadence while smoking. If not you could torch your tongue 👅!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: Local tobacco shop

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

You have to type a certain amount of characters so here goes............this sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks aaaaaaaaaaand sucks!!!!

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend does have a flavor of black cherry. It causes tongue bite easily, but I believe it's due to heat, not necessarily the chemicals. It also causes quite a bit of moisture to build up in the bowl. It lights decently enough and smokes for a good while. It's not great, but far from the worst. That distinction is reserved for Borkum Riff Cherry. I never truly appreciated the difference between cherry and black cherry until I smoked this blend. It is very noticeable. I prefer regular cherry, and I'm not convinced the so-called "cough syrup flavor" is all that bad. Someone described this as a "fun aro", but I disagree because you cannot smoke it with a carefree cadence. It's too much work to be fun. After a few bowls of this, I've decided I've had enough, it's going out, and it was only $5. Somewhat recommended because it is not the worst, and I can see how some people might really like it.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I was feeling nostalgic the other day, thinking about the wonderful smell of my dad smoking his Paladin Black Cherry when I was young. That smell is one of the things that drew me to pipe smoking. I tried some 30 years ago and decided to give it another try. Let me just say that I loved my dad but he would not have known a good tobacco if it bit him (and it DOES bite). This stuff it just flat out wretched and leaves that same aftertaste as smoking a cigarette

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Back when I started smoking a pipe, in the 1970s, my cousin said I just had to try this. He liked the room note and that is the one appealing thing about it. I smoked a couple of pipefuls of this stuff and it had the distinction of being the only tobacco I've thrown away with less than a full go at it. Wet in the pouch and difficult to dry out it tended to be sharp and overpowering without much tobacco flavor, if any. I'll admit I've smoked some iffy blends and generally worked with them before moving on but this one is on my worst list. I imagine you could mix this in very small portions with something else but there are many more cherry blends out there that are better. Here be dragons.......

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

Normally I do not see eye-to-eye with the "hillbilly yuppies" and their beloved Cobs. Chiefly over what is, or is not, a proper tobacco. On this blend, I have to concure. Paladin was one of the first blends I smoked in the wee early 80's. It was bloody atrocious then and now.I had stuffed an opened pouch of this blend in my college brief case sometime in the late 80's, fifteen years later I rediscovered the case in the lumber room. Opening the brief case I was greeted with the scent of a freshly opened pouch. God above, what in the world do they soak this stuff in??? To this day I am still leary of cherry blends because of Paladin. Still, I would have to recommend it to the beginner. If only to show what a proper aromatic is not.

Pipe Used: Dr Gabrow Savoy

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Pouch

Purchased From: Shopping Mall tobacconist (B&M)

Similar Blends: American OTC Aromatic.

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

Pipe Used: Dr Gabrow Savoy

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Pouch

Purchased From: Shopping Mall tobacconist (B&M)

Similar Blends: American OTC Aromatic.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I'm not an Aro smoker so take this for what it is. The tin note is sickening sweet (like cough medicine). Almost no flavor. Smoked almost 2 bowls. I will not buy this brand again

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: NyQuil.

SugarGnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SugarGnar (2)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Garbage, at least that's where this pouch ended up minus 1 bowl. My poor pipe won't forgive me for this. Opening the pouch one gets a huge sense of urinal puck and very little if no smell of tobacco. I let this dry for about 10 minutes, less to dry and more to air it out. After that I got more of a huge cherry but it was still very chemical. This is one of the few baccy's I've had that the flavor precisely matched the aroma when smoked, very sharp. No problem lighting or staying lit and it burned just fine. There was very little tongue bite though I didn't puff it too hard and the wife noted the room note as "not terrible, smells like cough syrup". I can't speak to the fabled bottom third of the bowl becoming burley like some reviewed, I only made it half way into this bowl.

Everyone has different tastes and for the price it might be worth trying. My suggestion would be to use a pipe you're not super fond of.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999

Age When Smoked: New - Aged 10 min

Rivermann68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rivermann68 (2)
Very Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Just to add a few notes to the mix- Robitussin and Vicks Formula 44 are descriptions that are very accurate. Upon opening the pouch I was met with the smell of both of the cough syrups. The aroma was so sharp it would make a razor blade seem like an 8 lane highway. I could not get past the smell. I loaded the pipe and STILL couldn't get past the smell- Taste was just as sharp. The experience was an absolute disaster. Thank Goodness for "trial pouches"!!!

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the puoch

Similar Blends: Robitussin, Vicks Formula 44, Halls cough drops....

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I was surprised by how much I liked this blend. I had heard less than spectacular things about it, so expectations were very low.

Upon opening the pouch I get a quite dark cough syrup type black cherry smell with a little Half & Half floating in the background. Quite strong.

The smoke is the other way around. It tastes like Half & Half with a little cherry floating in the background. I like H&H, so I like this blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Similar Blends: Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Half & Half.

Thane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thane (1)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a good tobacco to use as a mixer. Another reviewer has mentioned the blend called "Papal." That is a mix of 50% Paladin and 50% Prince Albert. You can also mix other blends with black Cavendish or vanilla. It is an inexpensive but very smokable tobacco, especially if it is smoked slowly. I don't think anyone will object to the room note. I have purchased the large 12 ounce tin because the pouches are sometimes dry.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: WV Smokeshop http://wvsmokeshop.com/

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I personally enjoy this blend. Just because some brands are inexpensive or readily available at your local pharmacy does not mean they are all poor in quality. Though I won't claim it is the absolute best I've had either. Still, I found this particular cherry flavor much better than the average shelf brand. I keep it in my rotation along side my Cornel & Diehl aromatics and my 1776 Old Dominion.

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash, Dr. Grabow Duke

Age When Smoked: 40

Grumpynuts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpynuts (9)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

On a whim I thought I'd give it a try. Although people around me enjoy the aroma it is one that I can't wait to finish the pouch only because I don't like throwing away tobacco. Sickly sweet, cherry medicine flavored in my opinion, so if you're looking for something along those lines pick yourself up a pouch. It was pretty cheap, too.

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Age When Smoked: As old as my tongue but older than my teeth

Purchased From: Grocery Store, Omaha

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

A very cherry aro. Smells like a mix between playdough and robotussin. But tastes a bit better. Gives me quite a bit of bite, but worth a try.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

well i took the dive and went for the tub..i cannot say i am very dissappointed but at that price tag you might as well score your self some macbaren,peter stockkeby or lane bulk. the flavoring is strong and it does taste as it smells indeed.the room note is accepted to some degree although it might be a little stale sweet if that makes any sense(smoking it outdoors brought more complements). the tobcco cut is fine chops very similar to half and half (go figure its the same comany), it burns well and even and the casing makes it one of the sweetest tobaccos i tried so if you are looking for strong cherry then by all means there you have it.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)

Picked up a pouch at one of the local beverage centers. Upon opening the pouch I immediately was hit with a cough syrup, cherry lollipop something or other smell!

After a few bowls, I decided this wasn't for me. I had recently picked up a pouch of Carter Hall (very, very dry and older than me I think!)at a local grocery that I had only smoked several bowls from. I mixed the two in a roughly 50/50 blend and placed in one of my jars. The CH has taken some of the moisture from the overly moist PBC and the overwhelming cherry of the PBC has mellowed. All in all, this mixture isn't a horrible smoke now!

Update 1/31/17: New Lane product is much improved. Gone is the cough syrup taste mentioned above. Better in a cob IMO. Improved room note and taste. Bumped from 2 to 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Briar and cob

Purchased From: Locally

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I'm somewhat dismayed by all the negative reviews. The pouch smells amazing. Smoke wise, its one of the few aromatics that actually tastes the way it smells and the room note is wonderful. It lit easily and burned smoothly.

Overall Paladin Black Cherry has become one of my "go to" aromatics. Its far better than its price (or negative reviews) would have you believe. Give it a try!

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I really want to like this blend. The packaging is attractive, the pouch fragrance is alluring, it delivers a heckuva nicotine hit, and the room note is wonderful. However, it's the only blend I've ever found to be worse than Captain Black - gold label. It really does have all the terrible characteristics noted in past reviews below. If you feel you must try it, remember, you have been warned. You could likely duplicate this blend by soaking some Prince Albert with cherry cough syrup.

UPDATE Although I don't like to mix my own blends, I mixed this stuff 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh. It is an improvement over either blend smoked separately but it is still not worthwhile.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

If you're a fan of non-sweet aromatics just avoid this blend and save the anguish. But for me inexpensive and relatively plentiful Paladin from Pinkerton is just the "nutz on the sundae." Especially if you: a) desire your cherry blend on the sweeter side and/or b) want a tobac you can mix with genetic burley or non-aromatic leaf to give it just the bit of cherry flavour you crave.

For all intents and purposes Paladin is most useful as a condiment type cherry flavour additive tobacco. A previous reviewer suggested mixing it with Prince Albert or other burleys and that's an excellent alternative; I've done the same with Carter Hall and Mixture 79 to great satisfaction. Even mixed it with Red Cap, a coarsely flavored tobac concoction that tastes more like cigarette than pipe tobacco. For me it managed to make the rest of the Red Cap pouch smokable.

So I puff Paladin straight as I am right now in a Great Dane Bent cob reserved especially for cherry blends. Or, keep it around as a trouble shooter mixer just like you would Tabasco or Frank's RedHot Sauce on the kitchen table.

Some of our purist non-aromatic reviewers rate Paladin as a pouch of "glop" but for we lovers of sweet aromatics its a cheap, pleasurable if not versatile date. Happy hunting.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Every time I see a pipe tobacco at the store that I don't know, I've got the impulse for trying it and this happened to me with this blackcherry, long history short, disappointment because is a mild to weak strength tobacco without a good flavor and tastes like smoking tobacco with mold, yuck. I have the feeling that I have to thoroughly clean my pipe, I mean at the Bio-Hazard level, You know what I mean?

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

You get what the package says - "Black Cherry." I smoked quite a bit of this during my early piper days and always found it a pleasant smoke. I enjoy cherry flavoring and the beautiful room note a good cherry blend can produce. Long gone are the days I would choose a pipe tobacco based on its flavoring, since I now enjoy the taste of good tobacco first, and any added flavoring has to play second fiddle. I never found it to be medicinal, nor did I find it harsh or bitter. A bit gurgly, yes. Dottle, some. Inexpensive, you bet! All in all 3 stars for those starting out, but only 2 stars for those who have developed a taste for fine tobacco.

Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

I had previoulsy made reference to this tobacco in my review of Gawith's Grousemoor, but had not dared review it as such. Well, here's my relative opinion.

Within the universe of heavily cased over-the-counter tobaccos, this one is on the verge of a cosmic explosion: the deliquescent chemical cherry sauce highly concentrated in the core of the mixture breaks lose at the touch of the flame and, very much like the Big Bang theory, takes you to the farthest confines of an unexplained time-space continuum, leaving you, your palate, and your pipe in a point of no return.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Extremely Mild Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming

This stuff is just awfull. I really don't know why I bought it, Hope fully I have not ruined a good pipe.

If ever approached by a pouch of this, just run the other way.

smallshinythings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smallshinythings (7)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I admit this guilty pleasure. No, not a favorite. No, not admired, but, like a fast food hamburger it's always exactly what I expect. I tend away from aromatics, but the smell in the bag is just too good not to open it and stick your nose in a few times a day.

The down side, I have to keep it on it's own and not let it play with other tobaccos or it's all I can smell in the cabinet. It makes my throat hurt. I taste chemicals and it wrecks pipes.

Nevertheless, I have a friend and this is all he smokes, so when I have the Grabow on the boat, I let him fill the bowl and it's as good as a hot dog at a ball game.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To begin with this blend is good for a drugstore tobac.I got pouch cause my order of the finer stuff is not here. This smells like black cherry soda when lit but smell like cherry cough syrup in the pouch. The blend has some moisture and it packs well, at first light the cherry is a little strong and starts to mellow out. I only smoked two thirds of the bowl and that was well enough to quit while its good any further will lead to bitter bad tastes and sour mouth syndrome. I recommend trying on a cob before you use your favorite pipe ,but it is not bad drugstore brand but it not great .

I gave three stars because of it being a drugstore blend.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Strong Full Strong

As said in my other review today I've been on a cherry tobacco kick lately.It is now over. Of the 2 I tried (tho other being Borkum Reef Cherry Liquor) This one is the worst. In fact I'm not sure if this is tobacco. Now that I think about it I should have just chopped up the money I spent on the 2, soaked it in cherry kool-aid and smoked that. "It only tastes expensive" Who the F*&% do they think their kidding? Rev 1/1/05 Have a great New Year. Just don't spend it with the Paladin

Mild Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

This stuff is fairly common in my part of the world. It is a wonderful smelling blend, particularly suited for residing in my handkerchief drawer. It is not a good smoke. You will have a sticky, gooey mess in your pipe, so take care...

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Picked up another pouch from Pipes and cigars, again I had another nice smoke. Lane has really fixed Paladin, nice black cherry blend and very inexpensive...

Paladin was an unsmokeable mess a decade ago when I made my first review. Since the manufacturer has changed, Paladin is now a totally different animal. The quality of tobacco, flavor and aroma is wonderful now. I tried three pouches just to be sure my first pouch wasn't a fluke. I think the change to high quality tobacco made all the difference as the bite is gone and the bitterness has been eliminated, also the cough medicine cherry flavor has been toned down and upgraded to a much more natural black cherry flavor, before it was a Shasta black cherry soda topping. I am very happy to see Paladin back to its former glory!

1/23/2004 - Picked up a pouch of this and apple. Had a nasty sweet tooth one day after work.....

Not goopy in the pouch, but the Shasta taste does get old after a bowlful or two. Good for being out in public, and a nice potpurri on my desk thats about it.

Very Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Pipestud is right! You could do worse if you are looking for a nice aromatic. On the other hand you could do much better. This was the second blend I tried right after Captain Black Royal Blue and it was really cool for about half a packet. Unfortunately, after that the novelty of smoking shasta black cherry soda wears off, it pretty much loses its appeal.

Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend tastes exactly like it smells, sweet black cherries!

It is extremely mild and cool. The stoving keeps this from biting the tongue, even with the casing. I found a pouch at a drug store a few months ago, and had to revisit this classic old blend. Yes, it is of drug store quality, but should be given a fair shake. If you want a really sweet, light tobacco taste, and don't want to purchase a goop laden aromatic, then take up with Paladin for a nostalgic ride. I smoked it in my 20's, 30's and 40's...and one pouch every ten years seems to be enough for me. Uh oh, I'm getting worried. I turn 50 later this year. Gulp!