A perfect Virginia blend for all day smoking - created from the Old Belt district, with a touch of sweetness added.

BrandG. Smith & Sons
Strength
Taste

I never tried the K&K version, but my tins were all from the Murray's 1980s era and it was a dandy of a smoke. I just finished my last tin and was surprised to see I had not reviewed this one because I have notes dating back to 1988 that match my thoughts of the bowls I just smoked over the last few days. Deep and Rich ribbon cut Virginia leaf. Earlier notes indicated a variety of Virginia tobaccos due to the varying shades, but the leaf was coal black and full of sugar crystals when I opened that last tin. And boy, was it richly rewarding with depth as deep as the Ocean and I could puff like a freight train and get nothing but gentle, deep and sweet Virginia flavor. Magnificent stuff.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

Current blender believed to be Kohlhase, Kopt; previously Murray & Sons of Belfast.

The latest blend is mediocre, sadly. I smoked this before blending went to Murray's and it was a wonderful tobacco in its original cut and blend and the natural sweetness was delightful. Tolerable even after Murray's took it on and 'ribboned' it - originally this was pure burley in well rubbed-out form.

Today it contains dark tobaccos (unknown) mixed and a pronounced cavendish texture and flavour, although I would describe the cut as more 'shag' as opposed to 'ribbon' - it's harsh and seriously bites back, even to the more experienced smoker.

Somewhat recommended here!