Charatan 1992 Mixture is similar to Dunhill My Mixture 965. This English blend contains Orientals, Virginia, latakia and cavendish. The cavendish brings sweetness to the mix in a way that Virginias alone can’t. There’s a nutty brown sugar soul to this smoky, spicy tobacco. An amazing sweetened variety of English that is just perfect for after dinner smoking.

BrandCharatan
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Charatan - 1992 Mixture.

Another I've been reviewing for the UK tobacconist McGahey's.

Says it's similar to Dunhill 965? Hmm, that has had 255 reviews here where it received 4 stars. So, that could be a grandiloquent remark! As it's been awhile since I piped 965 I'll use my memory and comments here to paint a picture! But, considering the fact I've had a head injury in the past, my memory can be sketchy ;)

The appearance is similar, but I don't recollect 965 having as many coarser, pieces of broken flake. It includes about the same quantity of varietals, the hydration's good, and the aroma's smoky but fruity-sweet.

Once lit the standard of the smoke is congruent with the original; high class. As was the case with '965 it isn't a Lat-Bomb. Instead it's well rounded and flavoursome. None of the leaves are too preeminent, instead they work together well. The Virginia, rather than having sharp citrus, has a note of rich dark fruit, and the Cavendish lends the flavour a touch of honey. The Orientals and Latakia, rather than selfishly consuming the profile with an acerbic smokiness, give a bit of toast, nuts, and plenty of spice. I can't fault the burn, the smoke which is generated sits at the lower end in temperature, and I haven't been bitten once!

Nicotine: maybe a jot above medium. Room-note: not bad.

1992? As I recall, 965 was a fairly inimitable English, rather sweet and spicy. The same goes for this: it isn't a 'smoky' English, but sweet, spicy, and quite different. The new Charatan blends have impressed me, with 1992 being no different. Highly recommended:

Four stars.