Frog Morton, eat your heart out! A decidedly English-style tobacco that is incredibly kind to the mouth and packed with flavor! A generous helping of latakia is accompanied by noticeable Turkish Izmir, ribbon cut Virginias, unflavored black cavendish, and a dash of soft burley. A complex blend and a non-aromatic treat!

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

BlackAdderLXX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlackAdderLXX (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When McClelland closed up, I was caught off guard. My favorite blend of theirs, Frog Morton's Cellar was no more and by the time I had heard about the closing, my opportunity to hoard was lost. I had heard that Northwoods and Shepherd's Pie were close. I tried Northwoods first and while it is a good blend, I hesitate to compare it to FMC. I finally tried Shepherd's Pie a couple of months ago. It definitely is closer to FMC than Northwoods, but in my opinion, it's got it's own thing going and I like it better. I had a chance to try all three side by side and I confirmed my thoughts: Shepherd's Pie > FMC > Northwoods.

Shepherd's Pie is a nice mild English with a touch of sweetness from the Cavendish. In spite of the mild taste, it has a decent complexity. Definitely an English crossover reminiscent of the beloved FMC.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Cobs

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Frog Morton Cellar, Northwoods.

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (11)

This a wonderful mild to medium English. There is a defined sweetness from the Cavendish and the Virginias that continues through the entire bowl. This is balanced by the sec dryness of the Turkish and Latakia. They also convey a slight spiciness and a very pleasant body and creaminess to the smoke. I don't detect any of the burley, but it may be contributing to the body as well.

As BlackAdderLXX said, even though it's no lat-bomb, it is complex and very well balanced.

I've been lamenting the loss of Dunhill Aperitif much more so than Frog Morton. This definitely has a similar flavor profile of a medium English with some Cavendish and Virginia sweetness as Aperitif does. This is a very worthy replacement for me, and I find it much more satisfying in every way than any of the Frogs.

Nicotine is mild side of medium, and this is a very easy smoke with perfect moisture in my package of it. Very similar to Dunhill English blends for ease of packing a bowl and just sipping. Well behaved with a tolerable room note for an English.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Dunhill Aperitif, Frog Morton OG.