Choice, mild Burley blend, light in aroma.

BrandHouse of Windsor
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
2.1
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This has a little nuttiness to go with the mild chocolate and slight molasses flavor. It burns well, though just a touch harsh at the finish, causing a light cigarette taste, but it isn't unpleasant. A decent all day mixture that doesn't get old during the course of your smoking day. The lack of moist PG is a plus, too. I'd like to see it brought back.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I tried to give this my best shot but I kept getting a flavor/smell of burnt pine needles which would switch to a Winston type flavor/smell. Plan to give this away to anyone who rolls their own. This was just very bad to my taste.

Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

An old time burley, without much to recommend it. It isn't bad. It's just there. Just a little too bland for my tastes.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

If this was the best selling tobacco in America at one time all I can say is ignorance is bliss if, in fact, this is one and the same blend as smoked in those prior times. I could not smoke more than a quarter of a bowl in several different pipes on different days before my taste buds told me to throw this away. I did. I did not find it harsh as previously noted, just downright and outright distasteful. This, with the exception of Mixture 79, is the worst tobacco I have ever smoked. As others have noted, the HOW retro (largely burley) blends are much the same except for the toppings although some do contain a modicum, and I do mean modicum, of condiment tobacco(s). The best HOW retro blends, in my opinion, are Country Doctor and Union Leader.

I rate this tobacco 0.0 out of 10.

Light and dark burley blend in a ribbon cut with a nice hint of burley-chocolate in the tin. This tastes mostly of standard burley tobacco but with a slight sweetener. Has some cigarette notes but it's mostly good old-fashioned burley. On the other hand, there's a bit of complexity here, perhaps due to the merging of light and darker tobaccos.

Nothing earth-shattering but very appealing on a nostalgic level. I prefer this to some of the more available OTC burley blends on the market today and I've often wondered why no one has picked up the HOW recipes. I found this one nowhere near as good as Union Leader, Mapleton or Revelation, but it's definitely something I'd smoke again if it were available. As it stands, I'm a sucker for old OTC blends and I jumped at the chance to pick up a tin of this off Ebay. Would do so again and encourage others to give it a try if they enjoy old timey burley blends.

R.M. Schultz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.M. Schultz (7)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Stronger than their Union Leader, but not very interesting. Very smokeable, but not worth the premium price.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

In the tin, the aroma of this thin, rubbed, cavendish-cut leaf is the common burley vegetativeness along with a treacly note.

The leaf seems to be of lighter burley and darker, ruddier burley which is lightly sweetened; methinks with molasses. In fact, there was a few splotches of a dark residue at the bottom of the tin which must be the remnants of the syrup. The burley is of fine quality with a rich tang, full earthy aroma which is nicely enhanced by the sweet sauce.

Model is a fantastic all-day, autopilot smoke which neither dazzles nor disappoints and testifies that fine ingredients which are simply prepared can have timeless appeal. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (13)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is a fine nutty/sweet burley. At least initially, the flavor is that of a good burley in an almost cube cut. Further down in the bowl, the taste turns somewhat ashy and a little harsh. Not bad, but I have had better (and probably more expensive!) straight burley.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A Light Burley... Very mild, A little low on flavor, but will do nicely in a pinch.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Briar Law's comments are spot on with my perceptions. I see no reason to smoke this unless flavor and character are obstacles to sense satisfaction. It must have been the original packaging of portraying models (i.e. attractive women by and large), not the little guy from Monopoly currently on the box, that helped sell this. But, hey, Model was popular when claro (green wrapped shade) cigars were vastly preferred and folks smoked everyday and perhaps throughout the day.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

While Hardcore burley smokers will find this kind of bland and certainly not a bell ringer, this is a very smooth, no bite burley that burns clean and even. I do recommend this to all day burley crowd. A good work smoke and also a good one for aeromatic or VA smokers wanting to try a burley.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I found Model to be too bland for a main event. It is more like a "B" movie feature. A good smoke for a yardwork puffer. Or if you find it needs punched up, try crumbling about 10% McClelland 2015 or equivalent. Makes it closer to an "A" picture.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

American Burley. No bells and whistles just tobacco. Very mild. It's good but I like more kick. My father likes this tobacco but he's a cigarette smoker. He rubs it out and rolls it up! Another no B.S. blend from the House of Windsor.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

When I opened the pouch for this tobacco I was greeted with typical drug store burley, ala velvet or half-n-half. The outlook was not good. I set it back down and forgot about it for a couple of days. While waiting for my wife in the parking lot of the supermarket I dug around my truck and found it hiding in the corner of the passenger seat. I pulled out my trusty corn cob and gave it hell. I have to say- this is what all of those other drug store burleys are trying to be! The taste was nutty and simple, a delight all the way through. I got no bite, but found it tasted better when smoked nice and slow. I think I found another burley winner especially next summer during the heat.

Hope this review precedes a wonderful holiday to all of you, my friends here at tobacco reviews.com!!!!!

generalpatton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
generalpatton (5)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This blend really dissapointed me. After reading the comments here and elsewhere I was all set to find a nice, mild, mildly aromatic burley blend. I did find that......but I also found a weird spicy component that I've not yet been able to put my finger on. It's definitely not Latakia-'ish......I don't really know what it is. But...it really made for an odd burst of flavor every now and then. Hmmmm.........

I'm hoping this blend evens out, as the other HOW blends I've tried do over a few days of being open in the tin. I'll re-visit it and see if I have a change of heart.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another nice staple from the House of Windsor. According to the reviewer in a recent P&T magazine (William Serad), Model was at one time the most popular tobacco in the United States. Of course, that was a long time ago and there is more elegant stuff around these days. Still, my nostalgic ride with this Burley blend was pleasant.

Model actually started out with more punch than it finished with. Upon opening the tin I was greeted by a pleasant, light and definately "tobacco" smell. At the match, the flavor threw its hardest punch. Very much a "tobacco" taste, and my tongue never did detect any topping. It must be somewhat cased though because my wife said the room note was pleasant.

I would not define the flavor as sweet, per se, but it certainly never turned bitter. The taste lightened up as I progressed down the bowl and I did not get the heavy hit of nicotine that I prefer. Still, it was tasty and the second bowl right after the first one settled my nicotine craving to some extent.

I can see where this one is going to be a hit with the all day puffer crowd. No bite whatsoever. Nostalgia never tasted better.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sometimes the old stuff is just plain old. I wanted to like this for the sake of Nostalgia but found it bitter and bland. Sort of like cigarette tobacco.

Hate to be harsh but I did not like this.