Choice, mild Burley blend, light in aroma.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Blended ByHouse of Windsor
Blend TypeAmerican
Packaging2 oz. tin, 10 oz. tin
Strength
Taste
2.3
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This has a little nuttiness to go with the mild chocolate and slight molasses flavor. The grassy, barely citrus sweet Virginia is a background player. Has a mild nic-hit. Didn't bite. It burns at a moderate pace, though just a touch harsh at the finish, causing a light cigarette taste, but it isn't unpleasant. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. A decent all day mixture that doesn't get old during the course of your smoking day. However, the Sutliff Match is much better; smoother, a little deeper in flavor without the harsh notes.

Light and dark burley blend in a ribbon cut with a nice hint of burley-chocolate in the tin. This tastes mostly of standard burley tobacco but with a slight sweetener. Has some cigarette notes but it's mostly good old-fashioned burley. On the other hand, there's a bit of complexity here, perhaps due to the merging of light and darker tobaccos.

Nothing earth-shattering but very appealing on a nostalgic level. I prefer this to some of the more available OTC burley blends on the market today and I've often wondered why no one has picked up the HOW recipes. I found this one nowhere near as good as Union Leader, Mapleton or Revelation, but it's definitely something I'd smoke again if it were available. As it stands, I'm a sucker for old OTC blends and I jumped at the chance to pick up a tin of this off Ebay. Would do so again and encourage others to give it a try if they enjoy old timey burley blends.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another nice staple from the House of Windsor. According to the reviewer in a recent P&T magazine (William Serad), Model was at one time the most popular tobacco in the United States. Of course, that was a long time ago and there is more elegant stuff around these days. Still, my nostalgic ride with this Burley blend was pleasant.

Model actually started out with more punch than it finished with. Upon opening the tin I was greeted by a pleasant, light and definately "tobacco" smell. At the match, the flavor threw its hardest punch. Very much a "tobacco" taste, and my tongue never did detect any topping. It must be somewhat cased though because my wife said the room note was pleasant.

I would not define the flavor as sweet, per se, but it certainly never turned bitter. The taste lightened up as I progressed down the bowl and I did not get the heavy hit of nicotine that I prefer. Still, it was tasty and the second bowl right after the first one settled my nicotine craving to some extent.

I can see where this one is going to be a hit with the all day puffer crowd. No bite whatsoever. Nostalgia never tasted better.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (16)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is a fine nutty/sweet burley. At least initially, the flavor is that of a good burley in an almost cube cut. Further down in the bowl, the taste turns somewhat ashy and a little harsh. Not bad, but I have had better (and probably more expensive!) straight burley.

Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

An old time burley, without much to recommend it. It isn't bad. It's just there. Just a little too bland for my tastes.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I found Model to be too bland for a main event. It is more like a "B" movie feature. A good smoke for a yardwork puffer. Or if you find it needs punched up, try crumbling about 10% McClelland 2015 or equivalent. Makes it closer to an "A" picture.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

If this was the best selling tobacco in America at one time all I can say is ignorance is bliss if, in fact, this is one and the same blend as smoked in those prior times. I could not smoke more than a quarter of a bowl in several different pipes on different days before my taste buds told me to throw this away. I did. I did not find it harsh as previously noted, just downright and outright distasteful. This, with the exception of Mixture 79, is the worst tobacco I have ever smoked. As others have noted, the HOW retro (largely burley) blends are much the same except for the toppings although some do contain a modicum, and I do mean modicum, of condiment tobacco(s). The best HOW retro blends, in my opinion, are Country Doctor and Union Leader.

I rate this tobacco 0.0 out of 10.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

When I opened the pouch for this tobacco I was greeted with typical drug store burley, ala velvet or half-n-half. The outlook was not good. I set it back down and forgot about it for a couple of days. While waiting for my wife in the parking lot of the supermarket I dug around my truck and found it hiding in the corner of the passenger seat. I pulled out my trusty corn cob and gave it hell. I have to say- this is what all of those other drug store burleys are trying to be! The taste was nutty and simple, a delight all the way through. I got no bite, but found it tasted better when smoked nice and slow. I think I found another burley winner especially next summer during the heat.

Hope this review precedes a wonderful holiday to all of you, my friends here at tobacco reviews.com!!!!!