A slow, long lasting smoke, contains Virginia, latakia and perique. A strong taste with a mild flavour. Supplied in a 50 grams tin. Similar to Dunhill Nightcap.

BrandCharatan
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Charatan - Eventide.

This was supplied by my pal Martin McGahey of McGahey's tobacconists (I write for them). And, I love it!

So, it's clamed to be similar to Dunhill's Nightcap? Well, that casts a big shadow!

In keeping with Nightcap it isn't a stertorous Lat Bomb. It's a weighty, heavy, smoke, with lots of flavour, but we're not talking about anything harsh, or uncontrolled. As well as the Latakia there's a notable taste from the Perique. This gives a zesty, fruitiness, on top of the heavier tasting Latakia. Heavier; it isn't overly sharp or cutting, like some of the varietals, but rich and full. The Virginia's the platform and base, but the flavour is outweighed by the other two; in comparison the Latakia and Perique are much more formidable. Although full tasting, it's also very smooth. The burn's standard is high: not fast, cool in temperature, creating a comfortable, bite-free, smoke.

Nicotine: above medium. Room-note: not great for others, but I quite like it!

Charatan Eventide? Wonderful. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: My Friday pipe

Purchased From: McGahey's

Similar Blends: Nightcap.

Pipe Wizard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Wizard (10)

After Dunhill discontinued their tobacco products, Charatan released a series of tobaccos designed to replace them. Eventide is their version of Nightcap, which has long been one of my favourite English blends. As soon as I heard about this, I couldn't wait to order some and try it out.

When it arrived, I immediately did a side-by-side comparison. I then smoked several bowls of Eventide in a few different pipes over the course of the next week. Here is my experience with it:

Upon opening my tin of Eventide, I was greeted with that old familiar smell... Nightcap! In terms of appearance and tin note, the 2 are virtually indistinguishable. As someone who was very fond of Nightcap, this put a smile on my face right away. I was fully expecting there to be little to no difference between the 2 blends. Unfortunately this is not the case when you light up. The first thing I noticed is that Eventide has a honey-like sweetness that isn't present in Nightcap. It is definitely not as strong in the nicotine department and also doesn't contain as much Latakia. There are some similarities but not enough to make Eventide a suitable replacement for Nightcap in my opinion. For a blend that allegedly contains the same variety of tobaccos, it borders on being one-dimentional. You get nowhere near the level of complexity and depth you would find in Nightcap.

Having said that, it's not a bad smoke. It packs well, burns well, doesn't get too hot and has a fairly pleasant taste. While I probably won't be picking up any more of it, I won't have any trouble finishing the tin I have.

Is it a match for Nightcap? No, but it is still worth trying.

Purchased From: GQ Tobaaccos

Simon.c Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simon.c (12)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After trying Royal Escape I had hopes for this. I shouldn't of got my hopes up.

Even as a English Blend it's bog standard. Overshadowed by Squadron Leader, Skiff Mix, Ashton Artisan, Black Mallory. Weak in both strength and flavor, lacking in that nice heavy latakia. And very lacking in vitamin N, none of that relaxing feeling after a bowl like you got with nightcap.

At this point I'm done with even bothering with Charatan's offerings.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (134)

If you like English mixtures, this is a good one: complex, smooth, flavoursome - and it doesn't bite. The Latakia is notably present, but not overwhelmingly so, and the spicy Perique adds a very welcome dimension. Eventide is a civilized tobacco that lights readily and behaves consistently all the way down the bowl, leaving behind a fine white ash and no goo at all. It burns a little too quickly for my liking, but that's a function of the ribbon cut, and hardly a fatal objection. I find that a ten minute drying time between loading the bowl and lighting up is a good idea. I wouldn't recommend Eventide to the beginner, but experienced pipe smokers will appreciate its many nuances. This tobacco is full of flavour and different aspects of the flavour profile present themselves at different points during the smoke. Take if slow, then, and savour it. This is a tobacco for the armchair in front of the fire. If you smoke it while doing something else you'll miss a lot.

As Pipe WIzard has pointed out, Eventide isn't an exact match for EMP, but it's pretty close, and a good smoke in its own right. The falling demand that killed off the Dunhill blends will probably also kill off the new Charatan subs before too long; but let's enjoy it while we can. We pipe smokers are on a sinking ship anyway, so let's go down with the band playing.

Pipe Used: Hardcastle billiard