Mick McQuaid Ready Rubbed is a traditional Irish ready-rubbed mixture based on Virginia leaf that produces a rich, long and lasting smoke.

Notes: Available in Europe, not in the U.S.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
CountryIE
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

3.4

I noticed virtually no differences between this and the plug version. The Virginia is dark fruit sweet with a touch of mild citrus, and is more earthy than it is grassy. The brandy and almond topping is mild. I tend to notice the essence of almond not in a direct way, and when it shows up, it doesn't add much. The brandy is more obvious, and tones down the tobaccos to a moderate extent. The nic-hit is a shade past mild. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no dull moments. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a creamy smooth consistent flavor. Needs some relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste. Not quite an all day smoke.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

In a word, MM RR is a superb tobacco belonging to the class of flavored, or cased, Virginias. It is not a Lakeland but bears more than a passing resemblance to Royal Yacht.

However, the flavoring or casing of MM RR is far better and more prominent, but it does not cross over into typical "aromatic" territory.

The Brandy/Almond casing is applied at just the right intensity to create a "semi-aromatic". It is quite "American" smelling, as opposed to floral Lakeland scents or to whatever casing is on RY. The scent also compliments the very high quality, deep and rich Virginias perfectly, neither overwhelming them or disappearing after the first quarter bowl.

I find the underlying tobacco richer and deeper than RY, but with similar burning properties and roughly the same strength.

The net result is rounder, richer, sweeter, with a much better room note.

A five star tobacco.

Note: this needs to be dried, like any Virginia, or you'll be smoking too much hot air.

Note number 2: You can't buy it except in Ireland.

Similar Blends: Royal Yacht.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

* I am updating my review of Mick McQuaid after having just finished another well aged tin of this marvelous leaf. I do believe it just gets better and better each time I smoke it. In fact, this may be the best matured virginia tobacco I've ever smoked. I do think a bit of burley was included, but am not positive. In the tin, this blend is very similar to Dunhill's Royal Yacht in both cut and color. It is a very dark, ribbon (almost shag) cut tobacco that has a wonderfully semi-sweet and slightly fermented fig smell that entices the pipe smoker to hurry and load up!

The taste is very naturally slightly sweet, but I think I detected a very discreet casing that I cannot begin to identify. It smoked clean and mostly dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl and I wanted more almost immediately.

It is unfortunate, but the Carroll Tobacco Company of Ireland quit importing McQuaid blends into the USA years ago for fear of lawsuits by the tobacco Nazis who are currently being allowed to run rampant with their dastardly, despicable and downright ignorant behavior.

PS...My wife says the scent of the tobacco while burning is heavenly!

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Excellent straight Virginia. Strong, really strong but delicious. Sweet, really sweet but not sickly, not cloying. A perfectly matured Virginia with a mild casing but with the taste of ripe Virginia. A dream! This blend represents the perfect marriage between a spirit (brandy) and a tobacco (Virginia). Nothing more nothing less: superb, delicious, strong, sweet, smooth, satisfying, complete, without any flaw. Wonderful! Don’t be scared for the strength, just enjoy it. Really deserves. Absolutely necessary for Virginia lovers. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 10 (the maximum) and four stars.

Purchased From: James Fox Cigar & Whiskey Store in Dublin

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I will start off this review by saying I really, really, really like this tobacco. In the Republic of Ireland this is a very popular tobacco and can be picked up in any newsagent. Despite it's availability where I live (in Ireland) I have always overlooked it. Only recently did I decide to give it a go and am I glad I did.

This a coarse ribbon cut tobacco, mostly dark brown but with golden flecks. The pouch aroma is strong, very much Virginia, with an air of apple or pear about it. It packs easily, but usually requires a charring light to get going. Once lit is is easy to keep it going.

When smoking this tobacco is smooth and flavoursome. The strength is middleish, strong enough to satisfy but not so strong it overpowers you. It has a nutty edge to it and every now and again it gets fruity. It gets stronger as you smoke it, as do the flavours. However it never causes me tongue bite even if I puff really hard. I have to agree with pipestud's review and say I too detect some burley in this blend, which may explain why it smokes so cool.

In summary this is a pleasant. well rounded, smooth tobacco and I love it.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Mick McQuaid - Ready Rubbed.

When I first opened the pouch and took a sniff I couldn't identify any extra aromas. There's a very slight sort of sweetness but nothing prominent enough to label it as being 'cased' with anything. At first, my idea was to jar this for a while prior to smoking it but as the mixture has a great water content there's no need to wait. I open, fill and light!

I find the smoke has the same quality as the pouch note where added flavour is concerned: a very light sweetness. Again, other than that I can only identify the natural Virginia's freshness.

This burns well: easy to light, steady and even, giving off a fairly cool smoke.

I think the nicotine's medium in this, it would be good for most smokers I guess.

I don't find Mick McQuaid R'R' offensive or nasty, it's just too boring for my taste. I'd much rather have the Square Cut.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer'

Purchased From: James Fox

SamH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SamH (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Like the other McQuaids I have tried, slightly fruity. Maybe a little lighter than I expected for some reason, but not bad. It leaves quite a nice aroma behind.

Pipe Used: Billiards.

Age When Smoked: From new to 2 months.

Purchased From: MySmokingShop.

Similar Blends: McQuaid flake..

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pretty mch the same review I gave the plug -- I still don't get any almond, or anything other than a light brandy topping. This is a nice, solid mixture, a fairly pleasant all-weather smoke if you're looking for a darkish, fairly full smoke that's not over-the-top with N

Pipe Used: various briars, cobs, meers

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Fox of Dublin

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am perhaps not the ideal reviewer of this tobacco as it is a touch too strong for my tastes yet I have been impressed. It burns slowly, with an exceedingly cool taste. There is no hint of bitterness, right down to the last puff. I did get much 'giddiness' with this smoke, so for those who prefer a milder blend avoid it, but for those who like a stronger tobacco, it is to be recommended.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

M.McQ's is a top quality pouch tobacco readily found in shops all over Ireland. It's also sold in the UK and comes in tins too. It is a shag cut similar to Mellow Virginia, another easily available pouch baccy. Very easy to load a bowl, it practically loads it's self. Many pouched baccy's are heavy aromatics, often of low quality, this blend is really satisfying for both the discerning pipe smoker and the man who like his nicotine hit in a pipe.

I would call it a semi-aromatic, that fruity brandy and almond casing is very, very soft, enhancing natural and robust tobaccos. If your in the UK or Ireland treat yourself to a 25grm pouch...you'll be pleasantly surprised, albeit in shock at the price! But it does have a fair nico hit...show just sit back and enjoy.