Rich, hearty smoking, long lasting and cool.

Notes: These reviews appear to be for Mick McQuaid Square Cut -- if that is what you wish to review, please go to the Mick McQuaid Square Cut page to post the review.

No longer available in the U.S.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByMurray & Sons Ltd
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The bold Virginias are dark fruit sweet with a touch of mild citrus and fermented sugar, and is earthy with a couple blades of grass. I also perceive a few hints of stewed fruit. There’s a very slight nutty note, and I wonder if a few dabs of burley is present. It might also help explain the minor molasses I taste. The fruit toppings are hard to define, but I get a small sense of berry and almond. The toppings tone down the tobaccos to a mild extent. The nic-hit is almost medium. No bite or harshness is present. Burns cool and clean and just a little slow with a very consistent, fairly smooth flavor from start to finish. Needs some relights, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste. Not an all day smoke.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Mr Colin Lunn, formerly of King?s Parade, Cambs., introduced me to this excellent and hearty tobacco (while selling me a straight billiard Parker pipe?by the way, one of the best pipes I?ve ever had). I don?t know about a Burley component. For me it was a straight Virginia, properly matured and aged, with a natural sweetness and, I agree with Pipestud, a bit more muscle than the Ready Rubbed version.

A nice square cut flake (similar to Larsen?s Selected Blend Nº 32, though Larsen?s is infinitely milder and timid), MM is a very Scottish tobacco, representing the highest craftsmanship of the old British blenders, no longer to be found, I?m afraid (the blenders; I don?t know about the tobacco). Medium to full strength, this wonderful Virginia had long lasting properties, and the peculiarity of bringing about a joyous smile to all who smoked it.

BTW: I don?t know if the ?Flake? entry under the same brand refers to this tobacco or if there was another version different from the square cut. In any case, if you find it, smoke it!

Mick McQuaid Square Cut Flake is no longer being sold in the USA. Too bad. It is an outstanding flake tobacco with just the slightest hint of casing. It rubs out easily, and the short strands are easy to pack in any sized pipe. (Because of its strength, you might opt for a smaller bowl). Unlike Mick McQuaid Ready-Rubbed (which I prefer), the Square Cut boasts a bit more muscle and burns more slowly. The Virginias are top shelf, and I particularly enjoyed the "no bite" smoke from beginning to end. I think there is a bit of Burley in this blend which aids the cooling properties.

If you prefer a straight tobacco taste from your blends, this might work for you, even with the top coating. Absolutely delightful!