A largesse of St. Nick's personal smoking mixture, this blend features golden Virginias, black cavendish, and a hint of perique, imbued with a generous touch of orange liqueur and hints of ginger, hearkening back to an old legend of Kris Kringle secretly gifting gold to a family in need.

Notes: Cornell & Diehl's Christmas Blend for the year 2018.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
3.1
Precious Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Precious Paul (16)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Picked this up a week ago same day it was released. Very aromatic with some gorgeous leaf in there. From bright orange to black. Smells like gran marnier and tobacco. Claims a ginger component but it’s barely detectible. Burns cool with components and topping interplaying. Doubt I would smoke this outside of holiday season but it’s appropriate for now, daughter said it smelled like Santa 2.5*

I received this as a gift from my wife for my birthday. The cut is a narrow ribbon with a few pieces of what look like mostly rubbed out pressed black cavendish. The tin note is a mild sweet with a little orange. Moisture level was maybe a little more than I might consider ideal. I smoked it as delivered and was mindful not to overpack.

Smoked, the initial flavor is a ginger and orange. It is mild enough that it falls in the "interesting" camp instead of the "what were they thinking?" Once you start smoking it, the topping dminishes in intensity, and to me it is smoking like a mildVaBur with a few hints of orange and spice from the perique and the topping.

I know it is not supposed to have burley in it, but I think I am getting the burley notes from the cavendish. I "might" be getting a little sweet from the black cavendish, but there is no vanilla in it. I am not getting the musty I get out of many black cavendish blends.

In terms of room note, I told my wife I was smoking it and she said "that's nice" in an unconvincing way. She asked if I liked it. I am claiming the room not does not smell like most things I smoke, and she is worried I won't like the present.

This was good but pretty mild for my preferences. As a mild aromatic, it is very good, and it is a pleasant smoking experience. If you are looking for a mild aromatic, this might be just the thing you are looking for.

Pipe Used: various GBD and Grabow pots

Age When Smoked: fresh from SmokingPipes

Purchased From: gift

Milehighpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Milehighpiper (1)
Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I started smoking pipes about three months ago and this will be my first review.

Prior to smoking this blend I had a standard soup/sandwich lunch followed by a pint of an excellent Coffee Stout. I was ready for something sweet but did not want to reach for any snacks. Instead I headed to my local shop where I sampled and bought this blend.

The tin I tried had been open for a few days in the sample shelf of my local B&M. Even with a dozen noses a day opening and shutting the tin, the aromas in the tin were still present. The tin gives you the separate scents: Orange, ginger, holiday spices and a bucket full of sweetness. I knew this was exactly what I was in the mood for.

After lighting it and taking my first butane-free puffs, it was like solving a simple riddle. The flavors of orange and ginger were present, and the familiar Christmas baked goods sweetness and spices were accounted for. Nothing else to find. Pretty much exactly what they say is there. After a few puffs, the ginger mellowed out and the Perique worked its way out of the blend. After several more sips, I exhaled a tingly puff of spicy ginger through my nose and was immediately sold on this blend. Be aware that the orange and ginger smoke evenly for about two thirds of the bowl, then the perique takes over and you have to work a little harder to find the sweet flavors.

Good blend if you are in the mood for something sweet. I enjoy a variety of blends from English to aromatics and this has its place in my small collection of blends.

3 stars because I would like for the orange and ginger flavors to continue throughout the entire bowl.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kapp Royal Straight Apple

Age When Smoked: Several Days

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: I have not tried any similar blends..

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (112)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Top drawer tobaccos in this blend as usual with C&D. Tin note for me is a well made whiskey sour. Notes of the orange liqueur and ginger come through on the initial light and throughout the smoke. No harsh spots or gunk. Smokes fairly dry and had no bite for this smoker. Has a almost numbing mouth feel due to the liqueur and ginger, Perique adds a bit of fruit as well. Not too sweet, just a pleasant Christmas blend that, in my humble opinion is C&D’s best thus far.

Fireside Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fireside Philosopher (2)

Caveat, I'm not an aromatic smoker. Dunhill English mixtures are more my speed. With that out of the way, I cracked it open this afternoon... and the tin note put me right back to being 9 years old at the family gathering with marvelous smells coming out of the kitchen - a promise of the feast to come. As the accurate tin description states there's a dose of Orange Liqueur and hints of Ginger in the mixture. I pick up a vanilla and a cranberry in there as well but that could be associative with the memories this evoked. My tin was slightly moist and while it smoked well, it required multiple relights. About a half hour's drying time would be advised. Did not bite or turn harsh through multiple bowls. Smooth, mild and creamy smoke with a marvelous flavor and aroma. Again, this is listed as an aromatic and it should be, but it's a very light aro - not cloying or overpowering at all. I couldn't detect any perique in the smoke, so if it's in there (and I'm sure it is) it's a minor-player. Bright and bronze finely cut Virginia ribbons and some coarser brown and black ribbons of the cavendish. Packs well, lights well and smokes okay right out of the tin...with the aforementioned drying time it should be perfect. This won't be an everyday smoke for me but as a holiday mixture it's a winner.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Nordic, MM Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The grassy, citrusy golden Virginias are the lead component. The mildly sugary unsweetened black cavendish is a supporting player. The spicy, plummy, lightly raisiny perique is always noticeable, though it’s never forceful. There’s less of the ginger topping than there is of the orange liqueur, but the ginger is more pronounced during the first few puffs, and mostly retreats in the background. The toppings do sublimate the tobaccos to moderate extent, but they also fade a mite in the last third of the bowl. The strength is a step or two past the mild level, but settles at mild by the half way point. The taste is just shy of the center of mild to medium, and also ends up being mild by the last third of the experience. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with some inconsistency in the overall flavor. Leaves little moisture in the pipe, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. Can easily be an all day smoke. Two and a half stars because the taste changes a little too much as I mentioned earlier. Otherwise, I would give it three stars.

-JimInks

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (25)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A Nice Malty Bed of Golden Virginias, Black Cavemdish, and a dash of perique. The Orange Liqueur topping offers wonderful nuances of orange/cognac/mulled wine, with a spiced sweet ginger lingering throughout the tobacco. The cavendish initially turned me off, but I began to noticed a toasted pecan note that I determined must be the cavendish. The perique gives the smoke some balls. I don’t believe this one will ghost a briar beyond a good busting, with something like Haunted Bookshop in you arsenal. A pipe needs to be dedicated to this blend to get the full smoking pleasure. I’ve gone from sitting on the fence to loving Old St Nick. Maybe not something for everyone, but with the tin art and the aroma, Jolly Old St. Nicolas is a wonderful addition to the Holiday smoking rotation.

Pipe Used: Stanwell & Cob

Age When Smoked: 10-2018

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (196)

Jolly Old Saint Nicholas tastes mostly of black cavendish and orange oil, with a ginger ale aftertaste. The cavendish gives the blend a sugary sweetness that is pleasant in a holiday blend. The orange flavor is a darker/stronger orange oil flavor, not candy sweet orange and the ginger hit me on the exhale with a slight ginger bite on the tongue and lips. I wouldn’t nessarily want this blend very often, but it would be a nice treat for the holidays.

Pipe Used: Various briars

RMB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMB (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Not your typical aromatic, the orange and ginger play very well with the perique, sweet and spicy, and very well matching its name and the season. Burns well, not hot, no tongue bite for me. As a usual smoke I'd probably give it a 3, but this Thanksgiving and how well this matches my holiday feeling I'm giving it a 4!

Pipe Used: Cobs and meerschaum

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (69)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very interesting tin note and I picked up immediately the Orange and Ginger in the tin.

Ribbon cut, easy to pack, easy to light. Moisture from tin seems just right.

I picked up the orange at the beginning more then more ginger in the middle. A friend of mine I gave a bowl too was almost "overwhelmed" by the ginger at his light but got more orange as he smoked.

This is not a goopy aromatic and the ginger portion of it reminded me of Valle Crucis out of the Two Friends collection.

I jarred the tin and will enjoy through the holidays and winter as a nice change of pace from my usual blends.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Tin

Similar Blends: Two Friends - Valle Crucis.