Rattray's Summer blends are always sought after, and for 2018, the blend includes vanilla, ginger, and lemon flavors, mixed with a blend of yellow Virginias, burleys, and black cavendish.

BrandRattray
Taste
Gerry P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gerry P (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The aromas of citrus, ginger, and honey are very strong when the tin is cracked...or rather when the tin is cracked and the bag opened. It's a very pleasant aroma, but it reminds me of the tea I make when I have a cold more than summertime. The tobacco is very damp...I might go so far as to call it goopy, since i could roll it into a ball that stuck together impressively. As is, it smoked hot and wet and had a tendency to bite. It also required a few relights if I wanted to avoid BBQing my tongue. I dried it out for a while, then let it age in a jar for a few months. This improved the blend tremendously.

Quality Virginias et al are what you'd expect from Rattray's, and it's on the mild side. The tobacco flavors assert themselves more towards the bottom of the bowl. The flavorings are there, and more prevalent than those in Bagpiper's Dream for example, but they don't overpower the tobacco. The room note is excellent, and the SO even commented on how pleasant it is. It comes in a nice tin as well.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky 01

Similar Blends: I haven't tried it, but I bet this is similar to Rattray's Exotic Orange..