Generous amounts of perique are combined with black cavendish and a variety of mature red Virginias. The combination is then processed into an old fashioned crumble cake to create a VaPer lover's dream.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging1.5 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.8

The tangy, earthy, woody, lightly floral and bready, dark fruity matured red Virginias are the lead components. The tingly spicy, raisiny, plummy, perique is a supporting player. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a little smoothing sugar in the background. The perfectly intermingled varietals create a harmonious, deep, consistent sweet and lightly savory flavor from start to finish. The strength level barely reaches medium, while the taste sits squarely on that mark. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. This mildly moist crumble kake easily breaks apart and burns cool, clean, and a tad slow. Hardly leaves any dampness in the bowl, and depending on how one prepares the tobacco, may require some relights. Has a very pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. The blend packs a little punch, but not enough to preclude it from being an all day smoke, especially for veteran pipers.

-JimInks

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (85)

I can't give this 4. It's a nice presentation, smells like good clean va/per fun in the tin - a little sharp but some deeper tastes are promised in the tin note. Busted up, filled and lit, no trouble. It is a little sharp at first but settles down into a pleasant but to me unremarkable va/per sort of taste. It hits me as a little unrefined to be honest. If I think of Navy Rolls or any of the other real classic va/pers, I am reminded of the balance they offer, the interplay between sweet virginias, leaf selected for body, and perique, I find that missing here. It's got a little spice, and enough sweetness to balance it, but the basic flavor is just that - a little spice and a little sweetness and I don't have a lot else to hold on to. I could not, for example, specify how this is in any way better than Sutliff's other va/per, the 1849.

Glad I tried it, and I'll throw a tin in the cellar, but this isn't in the same class to me as other top-notch va/pers (Solani 633, Gawith Cabbie's, DNR, Scottish Cake). It lacks a softness and a fullness which these all present. Room note sees approval from Mrs. Squatch.

EDIT bumped up to 3. No bite, friendly smoke, lots of worse stuff out there.

Pipe Used: big and small

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Sutliff 1849.

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Crumble Kake Va. Perique.

Love it!

Well, Fridays are my favourite smoking day of the week. I always use, on this day, my prized Altinok Meer', based on the model formerly owned by the actor Lee Van Cleef; I bought this as a present to myself after spending a year, ill, in hospital; so, I love smoking it! And, this is the ultimate blend to fill my best pipe with!

The tin holds two, thick, slices of dark kake, which emanate a dark-fruit aroma, have the moistness I like (a little damp), and although they're fairly thick I don't need to rub too efficaciously; a gentle hand produces the perfect consistency. I like mine to be a little chunky when I fill my pipe.

From first light, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, the smoke is heavenly. To my palate, there's a hearty amount of fruity, slightly spicy, Perique, which intertwines perfectly with the doughy, bready, Virginias. The black Cavendish is a lesser addition; this brings a euphonious, soothing quality, and prevents any rough edges becoming apparent. Because I keep my kake fairly coarse to smoke it I get a slow, cool, steady, burn, with the number of relights being a tautological and superfluous topic; it goes perfectly!

Nicotine: a little less than medium. Room-note: not bad.

Crumble Kake Va. Perique? Four stars, easily:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: One month

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (60)

Opening the tin, I’m greeted by a couple of superbly crafted, handsomely hewn cakes that smelled of spice, raisins, fig, notes of bread, accompanied by a faint whisper of vinegar. The Virginias bring the tang, dark fruit, bread and hay, while the Perique delivers the pepper that tingled almost the entire tongue. It’s the addition of the Cavendish, however, that really characterizes this blend and sets it apart from the more orthodox VaPers -- those containing only Virginia and Perique. The cake itself, a Goldilocks crumble (virtually identical to that of the Red Virginia release in this series), which has a semi-soft, faintly moist, brownie-like texture. Pleasing to the touch and fun to crumble, it is indeed a cool, slow-burning blend. Lovely stuff, this crumble – highly recommended.