Original Kentucky Club pipe mixture. A mild blend of high grades of White Burley from Tennessee and Bright Virginias from Carolina and Georgia districts.

BrandKentucky Club
Taste
2.9
Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)

Well it?s leaf raking and winterizing season here in NE Ohio. Break out the corncob and buy some burley at the drugstore. I have Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh still at the house loafing, and definitely wearing out their welcome. So, I bought some Kentucky Club to keep me company for the chores at hand. The tobaccos mentioned above have several qualities I?m looking for those being reliable taste, and easy lighting and burning. KC and SWR seem dry from the pouch as intended, whereas, PA (tub) appears moister from a higher application of humectant. The humectant on PA annoys me on the palate and by residue in the bowl. SWR is an ok smoke, but I get a vegetable (green) note to the smoke that leaves me mildly annoyed. The burley smoke of KC is simple and satisfying. I think it has a light sweet casing that tames the tobacco. It tastes pleasantly and monochromatically of burley from stem to stern, never getting bitter. It doesn?t bite. It smokes effortlessly. I sense the burley nuttiness better from KC than PA or SWR, but that is my observation. Kentucky Club doesn?t try to pretend to be any greater then what it is, a simple easy smoking straight burley.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (20)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke this stuff once in a while and for some reason always have some around. Nothing to go nuts about, mostly burly with what I assume passes for Virgina. The flavor is mild and you more or less have to find it. Anise maybe in the back ground? Coffee? I can't detect it. You can get a nicotine buzz from this stuff if you smoke it too fast and it will make your tongue feel like feel like a hot plate if smoked too fast. I kind of like it once in a while when I am hanging out on the deck .... it seems to repel insects.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the simple American burley "drugstore blends", and this is one of my favorites. A bit monochromatic at times, but predictable and just plain "nice". I buy this by the pouch, so I'm not too sure if the tinned stuff is different (as sometimes happens). This is burley through and through. No grassy cheap virginia or candied black cavendish to mess up your palate, just nutty, creamy burley with the slightest bit of fruity topdressing (hints of berry and...melon?) that is perfectly appropriate. The flavoring doen't burn hot or goop anything up and is most noticable towards the middle of the bowl. If this brand has PG on it it is very sparingly applied as the tobacco that I buy is usually pretty dry (but not "crunchy) right out of the pouch. I find that burley's like this are somewhat neutral as I can smoke them all day long and not have my taste for other, more sophisticated tobaccos, affected later in the day.I've never noticed the room-note, but I'm sure it's sufficiently neutral not to have elicited any comments from my perpetual critic and it certainly doesn't make my car smell too "pipey" like some other blends. I smoke this and other drugstore burleys like PA, Velvet,Hickory, Rum and Maple, Granger and Carter Hall as well as Half and Half as everyday all day smokes usually in no-name briars or an armamentarium of cobs which dwell in all of my vehicles and in most of my coats as well. Not nearly as much nicotine as Granger, but certainly enough for after lunch use. I would reccomend this, and Carter Hall for anyone who is looking to experience a so-called "drugstore blend" for the first time as these two are in my opinion the smoothest and most predicatble of the bunch.

I think that the big problem with these tobaccos is that people expect big things from them and they tend to be disappointed when they don't produce an explosion of flavor or a creamy liquid cloud of smoke. These are basic american tobaccos with a long history, and they demand a slightly different philosophy that the more sophisticated blends. These are burleys, coveted for mildness and palate, always the everyday smoke of the working man rifing a trailer or taking a break from his job in the factory or drinking a pilsner...these are not the tobaccos of the aristocrat with a palate for fine wines and fancy cheese. One must smoke these slowly, preferably out of a bowl which is taller than it is wide (read-corncob), and one must always be willing to admit that the end of the bowl is at a point when there is still about 1/4 of the tobacco still unburnt in the bowl. Push it further and you get the characteristic bitter/ashy "brash" which turns many people away from these tobaccos.

Highly recommended by this reviewer.

UPDATE: 1/15/09- A bit hard to find in the pouch in my neck of the woods. Maybe I'm crazy but I like the pouch better than the tin now. Still smoke it, but have been won over by Carter Hall recently--I suspect I'll move back to Kentucky Club as the days start to warm up. Strangely, I sort of get the "coffee" flavoring thing with this blend now...used to percieve it as fruity, but now when I smell it I can't think of anything but coffee...wierd how your buds change over time...

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Kentucky Club is a nice burley for what is termed a drug store type blend. It is somewhat difficult to find however. I found a pouch in a small "smoke shop" in my home town, but it is not regularly shipped here. The cut is somewhat crimp, and the packing is easy. It was at just the right moisture level.

The burn is cool, and the quality of the leaf is surprisingly good. It tastes like just plain old tobacco--which is right up my ally. I smoked the whole pouch is just a few days and will grab another sometime on down the road.

Burley lovers, this'll please ya!

A nice if basic and straightforward blend; old fashioned? perhaps, but sometimes basic is best. I don't detect any 'coffee' topping, but it lights easily, keeps going, and smokes without a trace of bite. It's one of the basic blends I recommend for those new to the pipe. As the ads from the 1940s proclaim, 'Good ol' Kentucky Club'!

Pipe Used: various briars and a cob

Purchased From: Milan Tobacco

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I am a diehard C&D English blend smoker who rarely smokes any aromatic and more rarely reviews them; it seems a waste to offer a negative opinion about a blend style one does not like to start with.

However, someone gave me a pouch of this and I have tried it a few times over the past two weeks in a MM cob and find it to be pleasant as far as an OTC goes - smokeable.

If the flavoring is coffee I must take that as a given because I could not otherwise discern what the flavor is. It is so light that I must over-stoke the bowl to get a tobacco taste at all and then I come away with a slight celery(?) aftertaste and an overheated pipe. But if I was caught in a motel in a town with no real tobacconist I might as easily pick up a pouch of this as I would Carter Hall to get through the night.

Personal rating of two stars, but I am guessing three for those who like this style.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is, in my opinion, straight white burley. I do not taste any added flavoring and find this to be an excellent tobacco as a burley base when mixing it with other tobaccos.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to say this is a good pipe tobacco. Definitely tastes like coffee to some extent. Burns really nice and stays light as well. From where I'm located, this is not a drugstore tobacco because you have to go to the smoke shop to find it. I would much rather pay $3 dollars for this compared to Captain Black at $7. Well worth smoking it.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

In the pouch, this fine crimp-cut blend smells of licorice and vanilla, along with the typical burley grassiness.

Based upon fairly good white burley, there is a gentle cigar note to the blend. The added sweetness is welcome. The toppings remain noticeable throughout, though without distracting from the simple tobacco pleasure underneath.

Kentucky Club smokes exactly as billed: Mild. With a wholesome graininess, this reminds me of Sir Walter Raleigh, though a bit sweeter and more aromatic. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)

I don't know what to say about this pipe tobacco. First, I need to make clear that I am talking about a Mexican blend, that could be a licensed brand of the original American classic, as Mr. Tantric says. The Mexican company that produces (or just imports?) this blend is called Norma de México.

Now, this version is made entirely of burley tobacco. I have notice that the quality of this weed is not always the same: sometimes, is a mellow, simple and direct nutty taste; other times, you can find that good taste, but with a nasty bitter undertone, something like ammonia (I have found this bad flavor in some low quality cigars).

The casing is very mild, in the package (50g. pouch) says something like "soft rum". The room note, however, is always the same. People have told me it's like flavored little cigars, but nicer.

Recommended if you like simple tobacco, but remember that you have to take a chance because of the quality issue I mentioned.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

Let me start out by saying that I have not tried this tobacco in many a year, as I have not seen it on any shelves in quite some time. However I will state my case as to what I can recolect of this tobacco. The word 'Bland' comes to mind as I remember that I tried to like this over the years. One dimensional, tounge bitting furry of a woman scorned is what I remember.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (6)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

There's something very honest to this fair-priced tobacco: it is a tobacco blend that holds very few surprises which, in the daily life of a pipe smoker, can be quite comforting. For better or worse, you can smoke a full tin of it for the period of weeks and never get anything else but what the tobacco initially offers: a fine taste of burley that isn't exaggeratively sweet; a mild but noticeable taste of coffee grain; and a room-note that is very discrete.

No nuances, no unpleasant surprises, no relighting hardship; only a tobacco that can be smoked pleasurably both indoors and outdoors and in any small to medium sized bowl regardless of the shape. Pipe smoking needn't always be complex or exotic; in that sense, Kentucky Club has somewhat of a homely feel to it.

(http://thedailypuffer.tumblr.com/)

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I usually like burley but this is just too plain for me. It's sort of in between PA and SWR but not nearly as good as either. Have only tried two pouches of it but I don't intend to try a third.

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Very Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This review is based on a 50g pouch of the stuff that is produced under the same name in France. The name and tin description are the same only the pouch is white instead of blue.

My girlfriend brought 10-15 pouches/tins of different kinds of tobacco from her last trip to Paris, this was among them.

I can't smoke this stuff. I've tried, but it feels like sucking molten lava with a straw. The aroma in the pouch is the usual cheap chemical they coat these kinds of tobaccos with. Smoking it I can't get any taste since it burns my mouth like hell. The only smell I can get from the smoke is of burned sugar.

There's a funny pattern appearing in European tobacco shops, whenever you ask for a non-aromatic blend they'll suggest the worst most tasteless aromatic they can think of. I'd rather smoke those heavily cased vanilla/cherry/plum macbaren/stanwell/skandinaviks than stuff like this.

Since I don't have any friends that smoke a pipe I've to throw away lots of tobacco :(.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Second edit: Tried yet another pouch of this. I found this one so bland after trying three bowls that I could not finish the pouch without adding some other tobaccos to it. I will not buy more. Maybe you could roll some cigarettes with this stuff but I don't want it in my pipe anymore.

Blends should be consistant. When I buy something I want to know it will taste like the last one I bought. This will be my last edit of this stuff because I'm not going to buy anymore of it.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Good old Kentucky Club has been around for years and years and years. Thats because it is an extremely good tobacco. KC is a fairly nondescript blend of light burly and Virginia tobacco from the American south. It is very lightly topped with a coffee flavoring that is not overpowering and ads a pleasant flavor on the light up that quickly vanishes about mid-bowl. At this point all you are left with is the nice nutty somewhat sweet flavor of this nostalgic drugstore blend. KC is a nice all day smoke for those who prefer very light blends. Though I prefer a little bit heavier blends, I like to smoke this in a corn cob or billiard that is dedicated to mild blends. Some things are tried and true and don't require revamping. Kentucky Club is one such thing.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is my first review on tobaccoreviews.com. I am a relatively new pipe smoker, but even when I still smoked those awful cigarettes I went for better brands like American Spirit and Nat Sherman. I will be behaving myself at first, and showing respect for my elders. I wanted my first review to be of something unusual, so here it is. I was turned on early in my pipe smoking career to mainly Virginia flakes, which pleased me most once I learned to control the tongue bite! This review is of an unusual item-a 7oz tin of Kentucky Club from 1950 that I won on Ebay. This tobacco is a cased burley, but for me at least, given the age, it is hard to tell what the original casings might have been. The tin aroma is something I find it hard to describe, and the best analogy I can come up with is that of a fairly decent red wine which has been left out overnight. The tin was under full seal, and the tobacco was still not entirely dry, if not moist. It reminds me of a Virginia; perhaps the casings have allowed the tobacco to ferment. All in all, it is an enjoyable and unique smoking experience. The wine taste goes away after a few puffs, and the taste becomes very mellow yet with complex overtones-very Virginia-like. I would love to find a reviewer who has tried this tobacco at this age-otherwise, none of you will know what I am talking about! I have tried Escudo, Erinmore Flake, the Stokkebye Luxury line, and quite a few other offerings, and all I can say is that I will miss this 7oz when it is gone and will look for other Kentucky Club unopenened classic cans if I can find them.

1-20-10 I still have a lot of this in a mason jar, and still smoke a bowl from time to time. It seems dryer and harsher now; not really harsh, but age has really dried it out. I think I will still miss it when it is gone, but that may take a while. I will cherish it as a curiosity, and as the oldest tobacco in my cellar.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the hero blend of a family friend, whom I observed in my younger years as one to emulate. Actually, he would switch to Prince Albert during the summer. For burley fans this would be a good start due to its availability and inexpensiveness. Out of the pouch it has, as a previous reviewer noted, an apple-ish aroma. It burns decently. The aroma was decent to almost non-descript. It certainy was anything but one of those blends that made you want to run for the hills as soon as it hit your nose. This blend deserves two stars.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, I'll admit it. I've been on a real nostalgic Americana OTC Burley blend kick this summer.

KC (Mild - in the Blue tin/pouch) is my latest um, "subject" and frankly, it reminds me of Carter Hall Light. To me, both Carter Hall and Kentucky Club share a similar sweet "apple-ish" aroma and to some extent, taste.

It's a very light and mild blend with a touch of artificial sweetness that finishes in the mouth. The cube cut also has some Prince Albert-ish "crimp cut" mixed in so it's easier to light and keep lit than say, Edgeworth. However, Edgeworth is a much classier blend all the way around.

Right now, Edgeworth is clearly top dog in my book followed by Prince Albert, while Carter Hall and Kentucky Club are tied in third place. But wait....Velvet and Granger are in the queue, so it ain't over quite yet.

I've come to really appreciate (if not love) these old American Burley blends but since I've almost forgotten what Latakia tastes like, Autumn needs to hurry up and get here.

In the meantime, you can catch me on the porch with Kentucky Club which, by the way, earns (and deserves) three solid stars.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)

I've been smoking this as a change of pace for the last 35+ years. I remember buying many pipes from a catalog that Kentucky Club used to publish and provide points coupons for discounts. I remember pipes selling for as little as $ 1.25 then.

Objectively, a mild, burley tobacco, with very little character. Not harsh, tongue bite is not a problem. A good smoke when golfing and doing household chores. I think it smokes best in a cob.

Recommended.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)

First off I should say I am a fan of burley blends and blends that have existed forever. Kentucky Club sadly has been overlooked by me for it is so cheap ($1.79 per pouch). I am not a pipe tobacco snob but I was wary that it was so cheap for negative reasons. I was wrong. The pouch aroma is nice but seems to have no continuing scent upon putting it under the flame. Once lit you get mild tasting burley that stays lit and stays smooth on the palate. I like Prince Albert for to me PA is nuttier and Kentucky Club to be fair seems more mellow in taste. I have been smoking bowl after bowl of this since the first and find it to be a good all day smoke when you don't want to think about what your smoking. Possibly the best intro to burley due to the mildness.

Hard to find in the Northwestern U.S. I believe this was one ordered online. Perfect moisture level, packs easy using the scoop and tamp lightly method. Lights easy, burns very well with little attention. Smells very good for a non-Aromatic and reminds me of some of the pouches Grandpa used to smoke in the nineteen fifties. I don't know what the lingering room note would be like as I am almost entirely an outdoor smoker.

If you like Burley blends I highly recommend it. Or if you just want to try something like Grandpa used to smoke (or Great Grandpa), give it a go. You could do a lot worse than this.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like Kentucky Club for the simple reason that I like Burley. I have become more of a Virginia smoker in recent times, but I cannot say that I will ever give up blends that have a heavy Burley component or are just simply Burley. Kentucky Club is good old white Burley in a very fine, almost shag cut. It does not pack tight, it is the easiest in the world to light and keep lit. The flavor is among the best examples of Burley's endearing softness and simplicity that I have so far encountered. It tastes of hazel nuts and cream simply by virtue of the naked leaf. It never bites the tongue and one is free to smoke it from early morning well into the night, such as I was so often moved to do. If only it were more available in my area of the country. Thank the gods for mail order.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to admit that I only revisited this blend after reading the reviews on it here. For years I tried picking up pipe smoking, only ever having it last for a few months to a year. This was due to two factors; cheap tobacco and cheap pipes. But truthfully, many of the drugstore tobaccos are just as expensive as the bulk blends at any tobacconist. I never really enjoyed it the way I do now that I buy good pipes and really good tobacco.

That being said, I got to say that Kentucky Club was one of those blends I remembered having a fairly positive experience with. Along with Sail, it was really the only decent pipe mixture to be had where I lived. I enjoyed it then because it had a good tobacco taste rather than the heavy aroma of vanilla or cherries like many of the cheaper aromatics.

I picked up a pouch today, and it instantly brought back memories of my first pipe smoking days over 20 years ago. The aroma in the pouch was like trail mix (nutty and fruity), but pleasant. Upon lighting, the flavor (more like the taste of the aroma) was reminiscent of sweetgrass. But, it almost immediately burned off. It didn't bite like a virginia, but didn't assault my nostrils like a cavendish. The rest of the bowl was just nice and slightly sweet, but not sickenly so.

It was actually very pleasant to revisit this after so many years, and with a really good pipe. I think many of us will secretly admit to not being real conessieurs (heck, I can't even spell it) of tobacco; we either know what we like or we don't. But, if you don't mind owning up to the admission, and being seen with a pouch of $1.79 Kentucky Club in your smoking kit, life just got better for you.

Edit: I just compared this blend to what is considered a "really good" burley at my local tobacconist (blend called Sailor's Burley). The aroma of Kentucky Club (mild) was stronger than the Sailor's, possibly due to some kind of mild topping, or maybe the humectorant. The flavor of the Sailor's was a little milder, but a little cooler. The main difference is that I really got that burley "mentholatum burn" at the bottom of the bowl with the Sailor's Burley (got to be careful not to get mixed up and tell people I enjoyed the burley sailor). This comparison having been done, I will say that the Kentucky Club strikes me as a better tasting, fuller flavored smoke. But it was also more tarry, requiring twice the work to clean out the pipe.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)

I recieved a tin of this blend from J.R Cigar. A 14oz. tin is under $15. This is not the Kentucky Club I remember from 30 years ago. I'm referring to the blue tin. Then, it was an all burley cube cut. The Kentucky Club of today is completely different. It is a crimp cut mixture of burley and virginia with a light chocolate-cherry flavoring. It is very mild and smooth and tastes good bowl after bowl. The only negative is that it burns quickly, so that a medium sized bowl lasts about 20 to 30 minutes. None of the other reviewers have described this new version, so I wonder when Middleton reformulated the blend.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Just happened across some of this when I was desperate for some tobacco at a quick stop store. Really enjoyed it at the time I must say. Just simple Burley , just what you might expect. I smoked the whole package over the next week. Kind of took me back in time. Very similar to Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Recommended when your in a jam but could never replace higher grade tobaccos.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A real mild burley. A good tobacco for smoking with company. Nice aroma. Not enough taste for me however. This is similar to Prince Albert krimp. It's a little dry too.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This smells wonderful in the pouch, similar to fresh clover. I really like this tobacco, it has become my work smoke, for when I want a solid blend that keeps me happy, but doesn't require much attention. It has a nutty 'fresh' flavor, hard to describe. Better than Carter Hall which is the only other drugstore burley I have enjoyed. No tongue bite and it only got sour at the bottom of the bowl. Overall a very good tobacco, when you need a simple easy smoke.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

My wife and I were returning from Wisconsin, driving east on Highway 2 along the north shore of Lake Michigan. We were running low on gas, so we stopped in a very small town at a Marathon gas station about 50 miles west of "the bridge" which connects the Upper and Lower peninsulas of Michigan.

There, by the counter, was a display of Kentucky Club tobacco in pouches. This was the first time I had seen it anywhere. And having read the positive reviews, I had been looking. Seek and ye shall find.

In the pouch it has a scent that I have detected in several other "drug store" burley blends: familiar, pleasant, yet difficult to describe.

This is a very nice smoke. The short crimp cut makes it easy to fill the bowl. I smoke it in a large cob that has become my favorite pipe. Given the cut, it does burn rather quickly. And, hence, it can get a little hot on the tongue if one smokes vigorously. It is now half an hour since my last bowl and I am feeling no tongue burn, however.

It smokes, smells and tastes like a nice, unadorned, burley. It is much better than the Hickory blend (also a burley) which I have smoked in the past. If you like burley and enjoy the taste of good, simple, unpretentious tobacco, you will be well pleased with Kentucky Club.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the same tradition of Prince Albert and Carter Hall, Kentucky Club is a simple no frills burley best smoked in a cob that has a very mellow nutty flavor. If you like burley you should like this one. KC is a simple white burley with a small cavendish cut. Packs easy and burns clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This is great for cutting any blend that needs sweetness or flavor toned down a bit. It comes at a nice price as well!

I have yet to try the original American blend, but down here in Mexico there is a licensed version (the same company produces a version of Mixture 79, and of something called Brush Creek). It is made from Mexican burley, with a very mild topping, and it is readily available at a popular chain of stores.

I am not a burley fan as such, but this particular tobacco smokes pretty well in a middle of the road sort of way: not too heavy or harsh, not too light or mild. It has pleasant flavor and an agreeable room aroma, and as it is produced locally it is not expensive at all.

When, for whatever reasons, I cannot find my usual supply of Petersons', Gawiths', Mcbarens' or Davidoff's (about the only imported brands one can find here), KC or Prince Albert are not entirely bad options. KC is, definitely, a simple, straight forward tobacco, enjoyable in the most traditional sense of the term.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A pleasant, low key burley blend that doesn't try to be anything it isn't. I recently spotted a pouch of this in my local grocery store for $1.65 and couldn't resist the tempation. Of all of the so called "drug store" tobaccos, this has become one of my favorites. Not much aroma in the pouch, it packs easily even using the old time dip- it-into-the-pouch-and-pack-with-one-finger method. Lights easily and stays lit. It's not elegant, except perhaps in it's simplicity. This is my no brainer smoke, and I usually smoke it in a large cob driving home from a night shift. It burns cool and dry. A great basic burley smoke, nothing fancy but reliable and reasonably tasty. (2 -2-05)

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic, old timey, cube cut, burley. The pouch aroma is cool and sweet, very reminiscent of Granger. The small cubes load beautifully, and when lit give that mild, nutty taste any burley lover will appreciate. The nicotine content is much milder than Granger, although they are similar in many ways. The aroma while smoking is mild and pleasant. This could be nice (and very inexpensive) all day smoke. Cool and dry. Best in a cob. Milan tobacco and Mars Cigar carry it in the pouch for a very reasonable price.

BONUS: As I can't seem to get Kentucky Club Mixture added to the database, I'll give you my impressions here!

This is an everything but the kitchen sink kind of blend. It has perique, white burley, Carolina, and Virginia bright, tossed together in a wild array of cubes, ribbons and flakes, it has an aromatic topping that I can't identify. The "perique" is pretty harsh, and my experience with it kept me away from the real thing for a while. I love the way this stuff is packaged, very retro in its plaid pouch. I did not love the taste or aroma too much, as it was harsh and hot. I might give it a whirl on down the road, but this blend just was too chaotic flavor wise.

Two stars.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)

The second of the JM Burley blends I tried ,the first being CH. This was very close to the same as CH. I like the cut on CH better, however, there is nothing wrong with the cube cut. I picked up a whole tub of this for 18.00. Here in Michigan with tax on tobacco being one of the higher in the US that is not bad at all only about 4 dollars more than the lowest internet price I found. Again it burned dry with little bite. Good stuff. Anyone try the Aromatic version?

daytrip202 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daytrip202 (1)

I really like this blend, it is simple, straightforward and good. I noticed that others complained that it was hard to find, but around here in Ohio, it is just about everywhere I look to buy Tobacco. There is nothing fancy about this tobacco, it is just a good clean smoke. I would definitely reccomend this for beginners as everything about it is easy. It barely needs to be packed, it never needs more than two matches (usually one), it stays lit, and it tastes like tobacco. The only drawback is that it burns farily hot. I haven't experienced any tongue bite, but my pipe itself seems to get a lot hotter with this tobacco than any other. Anyway, highly reccomended if you are looking for something simple, or learning to smoke a pipe.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a grand old timer tobacco, and you will see it featured in old ads if you like looking at such things. Middleton Tobacco, which is so good at getting Prince Albert into almost everywhere that sells pipe tobacco, really seems to drop the ball on this one. I agree with the above reviews that it is way too hard to find. This is really a better smoke then some of their other products with a better pure tobacco taste. This is a easy smoke for those who like burley to enjoy. Of course if it was more available you would get more of the bad reviews from people trying it who do not like this sort of old time American tobacco. This burns better then most tobaccos usually requiring just one light. It is a pleasure to smoke it while driving or working on something. It is also a pleasure to smoke at any time.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Burley from Tennessee and Kentucky,make up this tobacco. I do not however believe there is any Virginia leaf here. This tobacco has a light sweetner but doesn't harm the taste at all,and seems very pleasent. It is true burley flavor. Not the cream of the crop in burleys but still of fair quality. Crimp/cube cut, it packs easy and light easy. Stays lit, and is a simple old timey burley smoke.Enjoy this in a corn cop pipe for best results.