A pipe tobacco with natural flowers. Mild Virginia and sun-cured Kentucky tobaccos, blended with natural flowers, create a new dimension for pipe smokers. A unique Concept symbolized by the beauty of the Cardinal - the official bird of Kentucky.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Manufactured BySt-Group Assens

2.3
elliath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elliath (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Very gentle and mild tobacco, I remembered it as smell of spring and flowering fields. Good for weekends, sunny days and for smoking while free walking.

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)

Pouch note: All that I detect is natural tobacco, no toppings, flavorings or casings. According to the packaging, there are petals of white roses included in this tobacco, but there is no rose scent detectable. The Kentucky adds a faintly pungent spiciness to this tobacco.

Moisture content: perfect, can be smoked right out of the pouch.

Room note: pleasant, slightly sweet, not at all overpowering.

Smoke: This tobacco packs well and burns cool and evenly, provided you take your time with it, as with any mixture heavily based on Virginia. The flavor is Virginia sweet, and it is while smoking that the rose petals do their job, adding a complex, exotic nuance, while the Kentucky adds a bit of zest.

I would recommend Kentucky Bird as a good, every-day, all-day smoke. It is a light smoke which offers the experienced smoker an interesting smoking experience. I would not recommend it to novices, as the tastes are really subtle nuances which, I think, only an experienced palate can really detect and enjoy. A novice might be tempted to smoke this too quickly in an attempt to "get to the flavor", which will only get him tongue bite.

Give Kentucky Bird a try. It's definitely a departure from Stanwell's usual offerings.

slarty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slarty (2)

I like this tabacco. The moment you open the pouch and get your nose in there a most delightful aroma of Liquorice tickles you nostrils. Lights well, and if packed properly will not need countless re-lights. No bitter tongue bite. Fresh room note. It's the aroma that has people asking, "What is it"?. As one other guy has mentioned go slow with this tabacco, you are not a steam train, sip it and you will be pleasantly pleased. I'll buy more without question. Enjoy.

merement Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
merement (1)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I guess an opinion from the middle of the spectrum would be appropriate. I don't usually smoke aromatics (in the canonical understanding) and I don't think I could judge this one fairly. However, I didn't find it the most disgusting evil weed ever. There is the whole bunch of much worse concoctions. So this one, from the perspective of predominantly Virginia smoker, is worth some attention (say, you are on a deserted island and you only have KB and nail clippings, so you've got my drift).

I didn't find it very hot smoker. Not the coolest one, either, just nothing remarkable in this department. The aroma from the pouch is wonderful, and the minute I stuck my nose into there I understood that that's gonna be a challenge. The flavoring (flower-ish, herbal-ish, parfumer-ish) is extremely strong. Not very bad per se but very strong. And this is the only significant downside and the reason why I rate it so low.

The tobacco doesn't leave the ghost (at least nothing out of the ordinary) in the pipe and this is very good thing.

I managed to finish the pouch blending the tobacco in to some home made blends in microscopic amounts and don't regret about buying it. Would I recommend it to a fellow Virginia smoker as a change of pace? Barely. Is it worth trying? Why not. It's not yet another aromatic.

smoke stack lightin' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke stack lightin' (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Bought some of this In Holland on a trip and enjoyed it. Can bite a bit if you are puffin away. Not the best aromatic blend (that is what I prefer) I have had, but to my palate not offensive at all. Just had to keep it slow and steady. Been through half a pouch and will buy more if I can find it around my area.

taki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taki (3)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to get out of the chorus of Kentucky Bird?s detractors. I?ve been smoking this blend for about 12 years for my aromatic side smoke; I always appreciate it?s balance between measured strength and aroma. If it lets dry in open air for a while, moderates that some harshness coming from heavy top-flavouring, burns easier and tastes better. I used to smoke it as an all-day tobacco, if puffed gently gives no bite, its aroma gets gentle between mouth and nose, sidesmoke is also delicious. The flower petals, you can see clearly in the mass of tobacco, give a slide flourish freshness to taste, but at half bowl disappears at all. Vanilla, thus, is its main aroma, makes it a quite classic danish blend.

It?s worse fault, however, is that leaves a wet dottle in the end of the bowl, means that I rarely managed to burn the fourth quarter of the pack and many times is needed to whip away moisture left in the bottom of the bowl after emptying.

The room note is great with a note of bitterness, characteristic of burning Kentucky.

IMHO, it?s a 3 out of 4 stars aromatic tobacco, for quality and price --I only had the pouch version here.

T

Extremely Mild Medium Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The description above is true, this stuff actually had flower petals of some sort in the blend, and if you are a female, you'll want to stick an opened tin in your underwear drawer. If you're a man, you'll want to barf after smoking this poor excuse for tobacco.

Kentucky Bird does have a couple of redeeming qualities though. The tin is pretty and this blend would grow beautiful flowers if you planted it, I bet!

Brendan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brendan (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

In the beginning i bought this tobacco and disliked it. after i went through other tobaccos i tried this one again and to my surprise, it is really nice floral taste. the taste is also consistent through out the whole bowl. if you are a beginning pipe smoker i highly recommend this and if you just want a nice soft floral taste.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is a very mild and straightforward experience. It's not bad, it's quite ok, but not exceptional. I think it's good for first time smokers and people not looking for the nicotine buzz, because you won't get any.

In the pouch, it's a delightful experience both in smell and touch. i clearly smell honey and a hint of rose. The moisture content is just perfect, and the packing comes easy. It burns reliably, for a very long time and never too hot. The taste is fine but definitely mild.

If you want a reliable, light tobacco just as a standby or for the pleasure of a long and straightforward smoke, it's definitely ok, but it won't be able to displace favorites.

Purchased From: Italy

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Strong

This tobacco is very hot in the bowl. It can even burn your fingers if you have a thin bowl like I do. The smoke is sweet and you can feel it on the tongue without biting.

Recommended to "young" smokers who are searching for a sweet tobacco even if the price (I've paid 10 € for a 50g pouch) is not justified. It's not disgusting any way.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this one is pretty uneventful.

It smells good in the pouch, and the moisture level is perfect. Takes to a flame well and burns down without any relights. The taste is sweet but not overly sweet. It just never develops or goes anywhere, though.

It didn't burn hot for me at all. I have a feeling some people are not packing it correctly.

Still, a nice smoke when you just want to smoke without really having to focus on flavors.

kanular Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kanular (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Hello i'm a recent pipe smoker. This tobbaco is like empty of anything could make me feel i'm smoking something like tobacco. Nothing really enternaining in my mouth. i would say it is really better to smell in the pack than anything else. Sorry for my english (native language french). I was more entertained with WO Larsen aromatics than this one whitch seem to me that he maybe try too mutch to be pleasant and finaly doesn't have much carracter.

Dillinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dillinger (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

it has a srong bite even if you smoke slowly but with a somehow nice tace of spices i think stanwell need to work on this blend more it would be good

randy chris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
randy chris (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I'm afraid I must disagree with most reviewers on this one, as it happens to be my favourite smoke. In 40 years I've tried most but keep coming back to this one. Hot and harsh? Certainly not. It remains gentle and smooth throughout and relights without a hint of bitterness. The room note always gets favourable comments. It's obviously not a tobacco to everyone's taste but a superb blend IMHO and has been a revelation to those who have been introduced to it.

Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild to Medium Overwhelming

In search of more aromatic blends, I bought a pouch of KB when I was bingeing on aromatics some time ago. The claims on the package intrigued me.

In retrospect, I should have spent the money on something else. The pouch aroma was nice, certainly, the tobacco-and-flowers easy to pack, and it took to the match easily and burned down relatively well, fulfilling many of the points necessary to make a good blend -- but it could turn nastily hot on occasion.

As it turned out, they should have left the flowers to bloom where they had stood. The taste was sweet, yes, but also charry with an acrid note of (best way I can describe it) burning tulip fields. The room note was sickeningly flowery-sweet; I wanted to run away from myself whenever I smoked a pipe of Kentucky Bird just to get away from that smell.

Oh, the humanity... this blend is a waste of potentially good tobacco leaf. Certainly an interesting experiment by Peterson, but definitely not one I can recommend participating in.

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Almost everyone agrees: "This is a bad tobacco". Well I don´t. It´s not the best tobacco I´ve smoked but neither the worst. It´s an unexpensive aromatic flavored virgina with a traditional aromatic taste. I´ve always have an open pouch of this blend. Just one recommendation to smoke it: Remember you are NOT a locomotive.

w3c Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
w3c (1)
Very Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Overwhelming

As other people said, this tobacco is much too hot when smoked. For those who want to try a better quality while keeping the flowery-taste, i'll recommend Von Eicken's "Springwater Exotic Cut".

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Extremely Mild Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

At ?2.50 a pouch I thought this might be a bargain. After 3 draws on the pipe, I see I was ripped off. I think this may be an attempt at a Sunday's Fantasy kind of blend. Whatever it is it didn't work. There's a plethora of jokes comming to mind in remembering this vile stuff, but it just isn't worthy. Our time zone here is 9 hours ahead of California (pacific standard time) So, I speak from the future. Steer Clear.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

December 2005. Lighting Kentucky Bird was easy,but after 5 or 6 puffs my throat felt like it was on fire,and my tongue and lips felt as though they had been overly cooked on a red hot BBQ. The flavour is very strong,and accompanied by "HOT HEAT" leaving me with the feeling of smoking etremely extra hot coles from a vulcano.(No,I'm not exagerating) I'm a lady pipe smoker with 34 years experience coming up next New Years Eve.But,never has any blend burnt me like Kentucky Bird. If the heat could be turned down,then the flavour might be more enjoyable. The only positive thing about this experience,was the photograph of the bird. If you do go ahead and try it,make sure your near a fire hydrant!