Bright Virginia is heated, turning it dark and bringing out the natural sugar. Good as an everyday smoke or as a blender.

Packaging Bulk
Strength
Taste
Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (189)
Very Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Stoved Va is my favourite genre of tobacco. With the demise of McClelland and the now absence of those blends containing their wonderful stoved tobaccos, and the unreliability in supply of Rattray's Black Virginia and Rattray's Dark Fragrant, the tobacco apocalypse appeared to have come early for me. I have trolled thru dozens of tobaccos described as 'unflavoured Black Cavendish' or 'natural Black Virginia' and similar hoping to find a bulk, easily available dark stoved Va, all to little avail. For my efforts I now have a very large jar of mixed tobacco of varying shades of vaniila, caramel, maple and Heaven knows what else. I use it for my excursion tobacco. It isn't very nice, but it at least has the virtue of being relatively inoffensive to strangers.

So when I came across this tobacco on my Friday Buy Day, my heart leapt a little to see a bulk offering clearly marked as a Stoved Va and unflavoured. But the often disappointed part of me was cautious. I was well past 'fool me twice' on this score.

But praise be! This is what it claims to be. A straight, bulk offering of unflavoured Stoved Black Viginia. I have found my unicorn blend.

To the tobacco. Given the sort of reviews I see on Tobacco Reviews, stoved Va is not a well loved beast. I appear to be an outlier in this regard, so take this review with that in mind. Chances are YMMV.

This tobacco is loaded with dried fruit aromas: currants, candied lemon peel etc. For me it is like smoking a Christmas pudding. It has very little nicotine. Puffed at a slow pace, as I think it should be, it does not produce much smoke at all. But it is packed with interesting flavours. I find stoved Vas do not bite, and 507S is no exception. Again, YMMV. It has the odd rough edge; I doubt this has the same quality source leaf as the Rattray's product, but to be fair, it is also a fraction of the price. Loving it. Highly recommended but only for lovers of the type.

Pipe Used: Ceramic

Similar Blends: Rattray's Black Virginia.