Bright Virginia, Black Cavendish, and Burley.

BrandJohn Aylesbury
Blended ByPlanta
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild, savory tobacco, mostly natural tasting, with some piquancy and a vague sour sweetness that, in my opinion, provides a surprisingly friendly room aroma. Is such thing possible in an English blend? Yes, provided it does not carry any Latakia or Oriental leaf. This is the case with John Aylesbury's English Mixture. Not at all heavy tasting, the ingredients used in this blend are of excellent quality: bright Virginias, Burley and a touch of toasted (not steamed or saucy), unsweetened Black Cavendish, barely apparent in the mixture as a whole. The fact that there are no Orientals or Latakia in this blend is no betrayal to its English nature, for it is basically a non aromatic mixture, i.e., there is no casing or topping.

When I first opened the tin, I was intrigued because I got no sign of Latakia or Turkish components. The tobacco is on the dry side, but it has a remarkable burning rate with no harshness at all. Bright to mid brown in color, with very few strands of blackish leaf thrown in, I proceeded to load the bowl and light up. Mmmm. Tasty, palatable, but with none of the traditional density and earthy flavors commonly associated with even the lightest of English blends (say, Early Morning Pipe). Instead, I tasted the crisp, woodsy tanginess of straight Virginias in perfect harmony with the nutty and almost acerbic flavor of natural Burley. As a I progressed further on, I perceived a faint, discreetly elegant, floral sweetness from the Cavendished leaf which, without being bothersome to the palate, enlivened the blend, highlighting the basic flavors of the other two components whilst issuing a very pleasant room aroma. The taste was rich, yet mild, and though it did have some effect on the palate, it never reached the tongue biting point.

The green label round the 100 g. tin, printed in German, reads: "Eine milde Mischung mit den Hauptkomponenten Bright Virginia, Black Cavendish und Burley". Since I had previously tried the Scottish Blend from the same house (that one does have Latakia as well as Cavendish and Virginia) but which I did not really find to my liking, I was quite surprised with this English proposition. In fact, this is very similar?but I think better tasting?to Macbaren's Mixture Scottish Blend. It has virtually the same components, but Aylesbury somehow avoids that harsh, bitter-sour aftertaste that haunts Macbaren's.

A nice, simple and friendly natural taste that can confidently be smoked in public without attracting negative attention from uncivilized non smokers. If you like a natural smoke and want a change of pace from straight Virginias, this is a very good option.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

Being a tobacconist, I happen upon various tinned tobaccos that I never had any real intention of trying. This is one of those tobaccos. I was filling an order and managed to drop one of the tins from the top shelf onto the hard floor and it opened spilling part of its contents. Needless to say, I couldn't ship that tin, so it became my personal 'test' tin (it's a hard life...how many industries give you the opportunity to smoke 100g of your own screwup?).

It's an attractive blend with various mottled browns from the Virginias and, I believe, a little oriental component. The dark blacks also plainly visible are constituted in what seem to be even, but fairly small, proportions of latakia and unsweetened black cavendish.

The tin aroma is pleasant, but nothing spectacular-- pretty much what I would have expected from a medium english, the category into which I can wholeheartedly put this blend.

My test pipe is a Lane-era Charatan relief, though I've smoked the blend in various pipes over the past six weeks. The flavor is pleasant, but unexceptional. It is a remarkably dry and clean smoke, which is very much to its credit, but I find it doesn't truly excite me. Granted, I'm rarely overly excited by an English blend, though a few more notable ones have turned my head. That said, the flavor is still well modulated and the smoke well balanced. The blend is, on the whole, pleasing to the palate. To my delight the Latakia does not overwhelmingly dominate the blend nor is the cavendish overly sweet.

As stated, the blend pleases me though it doesn't excite me. However, given the remarkably good per tin price (100g for about $8), it is most definitely worth a try.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

John Aylesbury - English Mixture.

Here's another blend from my pal Gentleman Zombie, in the states, cheers mate!

He sent me numerous John A' blends in loose pouches, so I haven't had a sealed tins moisture to contend with! It looks more of a broken flake; ribbons account for a high proportion of the blend but it includes a fair few chunkier pieces. I can't see much, if any, black Cavendish in the mix, so I assume it's brown Cav', as opposed to black.

The smoke has a large Burley flavour, only a little Cavendish sweetness, and I could swear I can identify some Latakia woodiness. This Lat' note isn't the raw smoky kind, but the rich cedar type. After a few bowls, in close succession, I started to notice some bite, and I also found the smoke a bit too warm for all of them.

The nicotine's medium to strong, and as the smoke's thick it fills the room quite heavily.

I really appreciate Franck sending me some 'difficult to get' blends, but I'm not too much of a fan of this one! Thanks though buddy.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula #221

Age When Smoked: ???

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie.

CharatansMake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CharatansMake (18)

4 stars for this tobacco? YES! If you are searching for a very special and fantastic tobacco to experience a unique smoke, then J.A.-E.M. will not be the choice. But it is (IMO) a very solid high quality tobacco with a natural earthy and nutty taste with hints of dark chocolate. No problems at all with heat or moisture/gurgling. It's burning characteristics are perfect and absolutely clean. I think it needs bigger bowls. Because of this very solid taste, it perfect characteristics and it's very reasonable price (200g for € 25,--) it's my all day smoke and I think it deserves 4 stars.

BTW: As far as I know there was a mistake with naming this tobacco 50 years ago. They mixed up the names of 2 tobaccos and never corrected this mistake. So this tobacco stayed with it's name "English mixture", even without Latakia/Perique.

Pipe Used: IL CEPPO XL, CHARATAN FH XL, LORENZO Titano OomP

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (69)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Very nice and not overly sweet. Nice woodsy like element. Somewhat earthy. Flavor is slightly drier. Tin note reminds me of the inside of an old cedar chest. A tad strong which works in this blend's favor. Virginia's noticeable, the burleys less so. Smokes cool and lingers on the palate and timewise. This claims to be an all-day mixture, but I'd say better as a morning stater or for when you just want to unwind. No bite but has a spicy undertone that never gets in the way. John Aylesbury is one brand that should not be overlooked. Looking forward to trying other JA blends. As for the room note, it's toasty and warm- very old world like.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 1yr.

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

This is the description at Smokingpipes: John Aylesbury's English Mixture is a refined blend with the main components being Bright Virginia, Black Cavendish and Burley. A real classic for the lover of true tobacco pleasure. The flavor is mild, but well balanced, since the Black Cavendish isn't overly sweet and the Latakia is more of a ghost in the background.

Definitely has Latakia in it. I added it to the description. Starts like a good VaBur with a nice nuttiness from the Burley and a touch of hay from the Virginias. It seems as though the little sweetness it has is from the Black Cav. The Lat starts showing about 10 puffs in and by halfway it matches the Burley in strength. It finishes that way. A very nice tasting smoke that has a smoothness to it.

My tin had lost it's seal and the tobacco was very dry. I smoke mine dry anyway, but this was really dry. That may explain why it burns a little warm. Still a nice smoke.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavorings detected.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain