This well-known mixture of our house is beloved by pipe smokers for many years. The medium-strength, smoky taste of the English No.18 comes from bright Orientals and spicy latakia, which are rounded off with Java and burley tobaccos. An English mixture whose main component are latakia, Virginia, Orientals and perique. 40% of flake in the mixture make for a smooth and slow, cool burn.

BrandPfeifen Huber
Blended ByPfeifen Huber
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
ContentsBurley, Java Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (296)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I got granted a tin of this blend and didn't knew what would expect me. It was given to me with the words "this is a few years aged, but I don't know the blend itself", so I was quite excited to try it.

Cracking the tin (which isn't raped by the annoying EU-warning labels, so it must be at least 3-4 years old I guess) a delicious looking mixture awaits. Broad ribbons and lots of (broken) flake chunks, ranging in color from bright-beige to pitch-black.

Great tin note of lots of smoky, almost wine-like Latakia (which makes me think it may have some Syrian Latakia in it), etherealness from the Orientals and a slight fruity touch, which may come from the Perique. You can make out the Java-Leaf with its cigar-ish, spicy aroma in the background, making the tin note quite interesting, yet also quite intense! Definetly not the most beginner-friendly Latakia mixture I guess!

Perfect conditioned I was able to pack a bowl right away and the charring light already surprised me. A very, very wine-like quality is present! I haven't smoked too much Syrian Latakia, but it tastes a lot like the always mentioned "wine-like aroma" syrian is supposed to contribute. But also a delicate fruitiness lurking in the back, underscoring the wine-like experience very well. Quickly the Latakia gains depth with a richly woodsy and smoky aroma, always maintaining its wine-like quality. The sweet Virginias outbalance the untamed power of the Latakia's aroma and harmonize very well with cigar-like Java lurking in the back. I don't get too much from the burleys, but I suppose they are (also) repsonsible for the rich body of this blend. Orientals rounding this mix by adding decent etherealness and slight flowery and herbal notes.

Really an interesting compositon! On the one hand you have this very delicate and fine wine-like flavor and the Virginias smooth, caramel-y sweetness. But then on the other hand there's the rich presence of smokiness, tart woodsiness and peppery spice, as well as rough (but pleasant) floral cigar-ish notes. It just works really good for me! Lots of depth and body and a mouthfilling, creamy and full-bodied smoke. But also very nuanced, wine-like and delicately-smooth aromas.

|| Personal rating: 3-stars | Attempt of an 'obective rating': 3,5-stars ||