A mixture made from two mixtures. One is delicately tart and grassy, with ripe Virginias, rounded off with some perique and black cavendish. Sunny sweet, with some dark fired (Virginias) an fruity, delicate whiskey the other. After a long maturing process the two are melted into a mild, rounded blend full of character - with "that special something".

Notes: Real whisky is used, no artificial flavoring added! Released 02/2018.

BrandMotzek
Taste

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Got this as a sample to my last order... not that much of a Virginia-Guy, but I thought the concept with real whiskey + the seasoning tobaccos (pinch of perique, some dark fired VA) might be interesting. Corase cut, bright and yellow Virginia "flakes" (think cornflakes) are mixed with few red-brown and black-ish ribbons.

Has an intriguing unburnt aroma of sweet Virginias... honey, hay and a little earth. Underneath it has some stewed fruit aroma and is quite natural smelling, actually the VAs dominate in the unburnt aroma. Hot Cut doesn't really smell alcohol-ish, but the Whiskey may contribute to the sweet&spicy bag-note.

From the first puff on I instantly pick up a malty, slightly fruity Whiskey aroma, that feels most natural! Not really alcohol-ish, but more malty, peaty, whiskey-ish. I'm no Whiskey-Connoisseur, but I've drank a few glasses in my life and Hot Cut indeed does have some mild Whiskey-ish characteristics to me. Earthy, honey-sweet and hay-ish Virginia Notes form the base for the smoke and are seasoned by just a hint of Perique. The Perique isn't too pepperyin the mouthfeel,yet midly noticeable, so is the dark fired Virginia, which gives hints of smoke and contributes to the "Whiskey-feeling". Fruity, malty, slightly smoky and not overly sweet. THe sweetness is of honey and caramel and harmonizes well with the spicy notes.

For a Virginia based blend this has quite some body and after the first quarter it get's pleasantly spicy, I guess the seasoning tobaccos do their job well.

To my surprise I really like this blend a lot! Usually Virginia-blends are too "lightweigth" and "thin" for me, being a fan of Latakia, Burley and dark fired leafs. But Hot Cut is the type of sweeter blend, I'd smoke on regular basis. Enough spice to keep me interested, the Whiskey gives it a very pleasant, fruity and malty-peaty note that's consistent throughout the bowl and the small portionsof Perique and dark fired VAs give it some body and pleasant spice that contrasts the fruity-sweet, caramel and honey notes excellently!

What else to say? Very tasty blend, and the first one with Whiskey aroma (from the use of REAL Whiskey) that's well done to my palate. Usually they are chemical, too alcohol-ish or practically non-existent... Hot Cut nails it for me, and people who like Whiskey-Aroma in their 'backy might fall in love with this! A spicier treat for the Virginia lover, and a mildly sweet treat for those, who usually prefer more bold, spicy blends. I just regret, tht I haven't bought a 100g baggie in the first place... ;-)