Cubed Burley smoking mixture. Made in the USA.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company

2.4
Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was recently looking for that "blend that nobody seems to smoke". I received a cannister of this in the mail (along with a few other goodies) about two days ago. I was pleasantly suprised. Alas, I had found that blend. A mixture of thick coarse cut- blonde and cherry wood in color. The tin aroma's: a cross between cherry, cocoa and citrus- subtle and inviting. The blend is earthy and robust in flavor (not in the aromatic sense but in the body of the smoke). I'm reminded of green pastures, old-fashioned coffee breaks, relaxing in one's favorite armchair or tinkering on a project in the workshop (in my case that's fleshing out my next literary idea and working on music theory). Upon first light, you are hit with a soil-like richness which is slightly tangy. It funnels into hints of hazelnut, lemon and mild black coffee while maintaining the right amount of sweetness. This blend seems to be another "sleeper" type of tobacco. A quiet reminder of days gone by, which it does in a straightforward way- nature's way. If Sutliff is looking for a slogan for this little pipe smoking treasure, it should be Heine's Blend: The Honest Smoke. I give it three and half stars. This coming from a guy, who loves exploring the aromatic side of things.

A typical American over the counter burley based blend that's been around since the 1930s. The burleys have a little molasses and nutty flavor with a touch of coumarin replacing the deer tongue that was once used. The burleys are cubed, crushed plug, and small diced flake cut which make for a even, cool burn requiring almost no relights. The topping is a mild pineapple citrus which adds a little sweetness and tang. I also get a very slight hit of lemon. Light on nicotine, and not a deep tasting mixture, but it's a very good all day smoke with a flavor that wears well for the smoker no matter how often it's smoked.

I had been wanting to try this as I am a fan of the old school Burley blends.

This is what I would call a crushed plug rather than a cube cut. There are some chunks, short ribbons, and small flakes.

It smells faintly of figs, with just a touch of molasses.

It loaded easily, and as it was a tad moist, I thought I would have a little trouble getting it going. I was wrong.

It burned a little hot for me at first, but never bit my tongue. It produced thick, creamy plumes of blue smoke, perfect for smoke rings.

The trick to this stuff is to let it dry. When it is fresh, the flavors are watery and muted. After a good airing out, it tastes of hazelnuts and black walnut. It's delightful with a cup of coffee or hot tea.

The room note is very mild and inoffensive, but not something that would please folks who don't generally like tobacco.

It burned clean and dry to a salt and pepper ash.

Its only real fault is that it is very plain. But sometimes that is what I want.

I ordered my can from the fine folks at pipesandcigars.com, who along with excellent customer service, produce some fine blends of their own.

May your troubles end in smoke...

HunterTRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HunterTRW (6)

Heine's Blend has been on my tobacco radar for years, but is one that I did not try until today. Now I am sorry that I waited so long.

This blend is described above as having a "cube cut" and so I expected to see something akin to Cornell & Diehl's Crooner (No. 104) when I opened the sturdy 14 oz. plastic container. Instead, I was greeted by a mostly dark, gently fragrant, chunky tobacco that has more of what I would describe as a "rough cut."

It was moist, but did not leave my fingers sticky when I pinched some between them. Its aroma in the container seemed almost subtle, really noticable only when I placed my nose a few inches above it. To me the smell was reminiscent of Fig Newton cookies.

Like most aromatic tobaccos this one would benefit from some drying, as initially I had a hard time keeping it lit after loading my pipe (a small briar billard that I use for testing new tobaccos) directly from the container. However, having said that, I was pleased by the fact that there was no "gurgle" in my initial bowl. Further, a pipe-cleaner applied after I dumped the dark gray ash (with almost no dottle) showed a surprisingly small amount of tar.

The smoke was blue-white and creamy, and try as I might I could not induce this blend to bite. Its taste was lightly sweet and pleasant, and left no coating on my tongue. The room note was comforting: slightly spicy, warm, and inviting.

This is a very pleasant easy-to-smoke blend that helped me to recall why I became a pipe-smoker in the first place, and I recommend it.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

I remember my Dad buying this blend in the late 60's. This was his everyday turn to. You know, the kind of tobacco that you grab when you just need to get a bowl going to do yardwork or putter around the house. Since the publication of recent articles on the "Old Time" tobacco blends it seems that many of us are reaquainting ourselves with our pipesmoking roots. This one of the first blends that I smoked when I began to pickup my Dad's pipes to try. It reminds me of LJ Peretti's BPC which is a Burley Plug type of tobacco. Nothing Great here, just a Burley Plug, slightly nutty, a tinge sweet. Good for a change of pace, nothing more, nothing less. Burns clean, a puttering around the house mindlessly smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Random pieces of mostly lighter color. Aroma is faintly licorice, but not really sweet. Tastes like a more natural version of Mixture 79, which is an improvement. Not bad, but not good enough to come back to.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

Divide the smoked this blend in two parts. The first just turned on the smoke sends a bitter taste, so for the first quarter, then there is quite smooth and without any great excitement in taste, some slight hint of hazelnut but nothing more. I would say modest, and I do not buy more.