A blend of bright Virginia flake, white Burley, chopped cigar leaf, and a touch of Perique, Billy Budd Blonde is a sweet sequel to the blend originally created for C&D's late friend Sailorman Jack.

Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based

3.6
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mellow qualities and very well-blended. Cut to about an intermediate ribbon and primarily a mix of medium-to-dark brown. The bright Virginia flake and the white Burley are an excellent match and well-proportioned. Though recognizable in the smoke, there’s just enough cigar leaf (probably Lancaster) and Perique to provide some extra depth and dimension. In body, strength, and taste just a step or so beyond moderate. The nicotine displays some ‘oomph’. More Virginia-like at the top, more Burley-like as you progress with only a hint of bitterness introduced. Not overly complex, but very interesting and straight-forward. Taste is mostly grass and wood with some darker elements and is all natural tobacco. Well Done!!

Age When Smoked: Young

Archer Darkpint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archer Darkpint (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Another of my forays into the realm of burley-based tobacco, smoked several pipefuls and I find this an interesting blend with an array of flavor.

A much younger sister or maybe cousin to the original and latakia laced Billy Budd, I was attracted to this blend due to my fondness for cigars, in fact, I’ve smoked this several times in replacement to my usual Friday/Saturday evening cigar.

The flavors are more like ripples, they seem to come and go, not sustained…like a good cigar, alternating in an interesting and not unpleasant way. At times, you’ll get the grassiness of the virginias, the fruitiness of the perique, nuttiness of the burley, and yes, threads of cigar notes…ah yes, the reason we’re here.

More like a friendly competition in flavors working in harmony, it’s hard to say there’s anything that stands out or overwhelms in a negative sense. Really, this is like a parfait of taste, again, not at all unpleasant.

From flame to ash, there was nothing I found detracting and this was truly pleasant to the bottom. Billy Budd Blonde won’t replace my routine cigar, but it does bring a nice bit of variety, and like a good cigar, offers a welcome prism of flavor.

Smoke this if: You like cigar-leaf blends, perique, big blooms of smoke, and a headiness of flavor.

Pipe Used: Varied

Age When Smoked: Months.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Not really similar to anything else I've tried. To me, nothing like the original Billy Budd with latakia..

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (120)

I was not a fan of the old BB, finding it too harsh and confusing. However I do (did) love Habana Daydream and still stick to Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall and Atlas Balkan.

This one tastes like sweet grass clippings. I realize it was intended to be a lighter version of a heavy tobacco, but I find the VAs to be too grassy and prominent. There is a sweetness in here that seems out of place. The Perique is fairly far in the background as is the cigar leaf and neither are likely to offend anyone. The white burley tempers the Vas but do not seem to add much taste.

Smoking qualities are excellent, very natural, utterly no bite. However, it is the lack of flavor and body, for me, which tips the scales.

Similar Blends: The "new" Habana Daydream with the same grassy, ribbon cut Vas..

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (101)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

If you love VaPers and Virginia/Burley blends you'll find this to be right in your wheelhouse. The pinch of cigar leaf combines beautifully with the base ingredients to give the blend a somewhat oriental character, which I find delightful.

The tin description notwithstanding, SmokingPipes.com says that there is black Cavendish in the mix; but I can't detect it -- either visually or in the taste (except that there is a modicum of sweetness.)

No packing, lighting, or burning issues; and it produces dense, luxurious clouds of smoke.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Freshly tinned.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (95)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Interesting...Both in the pouch aroma and while smoking it...I got this big VA/Turkish vibe. But there’s just the Burley, Cigar Leaf, Perique & Virginia. The Perique & Cigar Leaf combo must be fooling me into thinking ‘Turkish”. Shows you I would never make it as a ‘taster’. Certainly well blended though. Seemed very well mannered. Honestly, it was just what I hoped it would be. Very pleased indeed.

Interesting...about five years ago I tried some of the original Billy Budd. Gag me with a stick! I found it intense, hot, harsh and reeking of Latakia. I couldn’t finish a second bowl...like a hot dancing Gypsy just wantin’ to steal yer watch. But the Blonde...take out the Latakia and sub in Perique...Bazinga! Like a quiet, tasty, eager to please girl next door. Soooo much better.

Pipe Used: Custom full bent naked acorn (group 4)

Age When Smoked: Pretty fresh,

Purchased From: A gift.

Similar Blends: Reminded me of Capt. Earl’s Honor Blend...though dialed back a fair amount. Yes, I know the components are very different..