A poetic mixture of bright and red Virginias with a good portion of Turkish leaf, elevated by genial portions of Perique and black Cavendish, and topped with the flavors of bourbon and vanilla, C&D's John Marr is an unparalleled voyage of sweet complexity.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringBourbon, Vanilla
Packaging2oz, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
SonofVirginia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SonofVirginia (2)

This was a delightful surprise for me. I am usually very cautious about aromatic tobaccos, and I approached this one with no small amount of trepidation. Upon opening the tin you get a lovely aroma. A light vanilla with a very subtle boozy undertone. When you go in for a second whiff you catch the wonderful virginia and perique notes, coupled with the oriental tang. It is fairly moist when fresh and I would recommend some drying time, otherwise it leaves the final third of your bowl fairly difficult to keep lit. It is a fairly uniform medium ribbon cut that packs abd lights easily. I was immediately taken with it. Plenty of flavor here. Typical virginia sweetness, accented by the top notes. A fair amount of perique pepper and stewed fruit. Not anywhere near overwhelming, but definitely present. I have difficulty in detecting a lot of oriental flavor here. Retrohale brings molasses and more mild pepper. The flavors build pleasantly as you progress. The top notes are mild in flavor impact, yet help make a very nice room note. Nothing like a typical american aromatic. This tobacco likes a larger pipe, and so do I. I found that I always wished for more at the end of every bowl. A wonderful aromatic that I will keep on hand for the foreseeable future.

Pipe Used: Peterson system, briarworks rhodesian, bc apple