Iwan Ries

An equal measure of dark and bright traditional American granulated tobacco from Denmark.

BrandHalf & Half
FlavoringAnisette, Cherry, Licorice
PackagingFoil pouch
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Very Mild, Medium
Taste
2.1
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must agree with some previous reviewers that the recipe for this tobacco must have changed recently. I seem to remember smoking this and it being hot, ashy, uninteresting. My pouch says Lane LTD, Tucker, GA. This is certainly not a cigarette tobacco, nor does it taste anything like cigarette tobacco. This is a pipe tobacco -- the question is whether it's a good pipe tobacco. In that regard, I must still answer no, not really.

Presentation is somewhere between ribbon and cube cut. Call it broken ribbon. Or, better, call it "OTC cut". Comes very damp, soaked in PG. Pouch note is largely of pleasant Christmas scents and something else.... aniseed?

Like most OTCs, the charring light is all it needs and it's off to the races. Burns fast, but not particularly hot. There must be some propellant agent OTC companies use to get these PG-soaked tobaccos to burn so fast. Initial flavors are a burst of maraschino cherry and other glazed, candied fruits. Akin to Christmas fruitcake. That hint of aniseed in the background. Overall, a pleasant casing on some poor quality, chemically drenched tobacco. I would enjoy tasting this topping on a high quality burley/Virginia Christmas blend. As it stands, there is little to no tobacco taste and after mid-bowl the topping wears thin as a more ashy and nondescript chemical taste asserts.

I have to admit to liking this topping. Just not a big fan of the overall blend. But far from awful. May appeal to those who enjoy very mild, OTC aromatics with bold toppings. Were I in a pinch, on the road, and out of tobacco, I would probably opt for this right after Carter Hall and the more difficult to find Sugar Barrel. But well ahead of Prince A, Captain Yack, or any of those vile Borkum Riff products.

tommyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

half and half is one plain tobacco that I find myself going back to for over 20+ years. I usually smoke lanes 1Q (aka captain black royal!!)When I grow tired of the sweet stuff and want some good plain tobacco I smoke this. I also found that this tobacco is one of my favorites for building a nice cake in a new pipe!! Its got a 'spicey" falvor and the only words I can think of to describe it is a fresh, crisp autumn day! It also is great in a corncob. I'd recommend it to a seasoned smoker of a couple months. It does have to be smoked slow, -and enjoy it!

tommyboy

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried this in 2010. It tastes and smells ten time better when smoked than it looks and smell in the pouch. Best thing in a corn cob. Overall nutty flavor, I don't like the anise flavoring because it is too similar to cinnamon which I despise. It is true that it looks like a one tobacco blend that smells like medicine, but its a pretty decent smoke.

Pipe Used: Corncob, Basket Billiard

Purchased From: Ingles

Similar Blends: Carter Hall.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (48)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Back in the 80's I worked for a tobacconist who offered this Lane Limited tobacco in bulk. It was a very popular tobacco and we sold it often by the pound. I smoked it occasionally and often used it as a blender with heavily cased cavendishes.

In an emergency I bought a pouch of this from a tobacco shop hoping for the same honest no nonsense blend that was so cherished by my customers at the cigar shop in the 80's. I was so very wrong.

Upon opening the pouch I was surprised at the unsavory sickeningly sweet citrus apple aroma. It was a very random appearing tobacco with crumbled ribbon and broken flake cocoa brown in color. I let it dry out 15 or so minutes before packing it into an old YB billiard. It lit fairly easily after the char. The room note of this tobacco was not unpleasant at all but the flavor was lacking in an extreme sense. I was hoping for a straight tobacco smoke flavor as I remembered instead I got a mouthful of a flat tasting smoke that seemed dry and indescript if not a tad sour. I might have to try it in a cob or something I haven't smoked too many stout VA's or English blends in.

This is one I will hopefully pass on to another smoke who has a taste for this blend.

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

Funny thing. I once bought a box of this wonderfully soft, easy burning, chocolatey type of burley....but someone poured the nastiest cough medicine all over it!

This stuff would be pretty good if not for the topping. I almost can't believe some people like this. It is so horrible that it left a bad taste in my mouth for DAYS. And I do NOT have a sensitive palate. Tried unsuccessfully to make it through a bowl in hopes I would discover something good. When I first discovered Latakia it took a few bowls to get it, and now I love and crave it. I thought I might have the same experience with this stuff. But I couldn't even make it through a half bowl. Dumped the rest and tossed the package. I wouldn't even give this garbage away.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As far as OTC blends go, not too shabby. I'd actually recommend it to somebody just starting, and only had access to a drug store, or cruddy tobacco shop. It's not a bad place to get to know your burley. The virginia didn't come out to me very much and almost non-existent.

A lot of OTC blends are over cased but this is pretty tasteful. I have my complaints, and I wouldn't buy it again, because of the chemical burning and some bad after taste. It does smoke cool, however. A decent mild aromatic.

As far as price goes, you can get a million times better aromatic burley over at mcclelland or almost any where else. For any beginners, I would start there.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

this tobacco is nor good or bad. For what it cost it give you what you want. Is pleasant, doesn't bite and havens good flavour. But the casting doesn't remain constant and after 2 weeks it become a so and so tobacco

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not a bad smoke. Far superior to CH among the OTC's.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Strong

Picked a box up at the local smoke shop to give a try. Not to my liking at all. Reminds me of passing the local refinery in taste. Chemical taste was very strong and unpleasant. If there were a tobacco taste I did not notice it. I do not recommend this at all.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Disgraceful! I would not tell anyone to bother with it.It's neither this or that,except VERY FOUL!

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (3)

I enjoyed my first bowl of this tobacco in a corn cob. My initial reaction to this "old codger" favorite was OK. It was smooth with no bite and a pleasant note without being overly done. H&H will not be my go to blend by any means, but it was enjoyable enough and left a good overall impression. I would recommend it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Local Shop

JtotheCtotheL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JtotheCtotheL (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco does everything a tobacco should. "Drug Store" or not, I like it better than 90% of the expensive tobaccos I've tried. Good thing I don't always listen to people on the internet.

Half & Half won't take you to a far away land with elves and fairies and giant stags. But it hits the spot when you come home from work and it smells good enough that your non-pipe friends won't think it's cheap. I can see myself smoking quite a lot of it.

Edit: So far, l like it packed very loose in a cob. Better taste, no tongue burn to speak of and stays lit.

Pipe Used: stanwell poker, balsa filter. Cobs.

Purchased From: P&C

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When Pinkerton and American tobacco co. Made this it was good, more like Granger with some va added. Now that lane took it over they ruined it ! You can still find 14 oz Pinkerton tins though and those are the ones I'd try to get if you like this.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

As OTC burley blends go half and half is one of the better ones. Granted, thats not saying much. It burns well, smokes cool and has a nice nutty flavor to it. However the nice nutty flavor that it starts with quickly disappears and is replaced by a chemical flavor. The aroma is also chemical laden. Over cased, low quality. Yet somehow better than most OTC burleys. To any new pipe smokers considering this blend I'd say its a good starting place. Readily available and inexpensive. However I'd recommend new pipe smokers to go to pipesandcigars.com or smokingpipes.com and order some tobacco samplers. A much better place to start.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have smoked only a handful of bowls of this tobacco. The pouch smell is OK, as are the moisture and burn qualities. I like the initial puffs, as they still give off that "crisp" sensation. But it goes away about 10 minutes later. What's left is the closest I've experienced of smoking a cigarette in my pipe. If you don't know what that means, good for you. For those of you that do know, you might consider it unpleasant. It's just not what I want when I smoke a pipe, so I can't recommend it... Period.