Broken Flake Pipe Tobacco made from air cured and Kentucky style tobacco with flue cured Virginias pressed and cured for full round flavour.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Strength
Taste
McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (18)

Germain BK flake (Broken Kentucky) has a great old-world aroma and taste (all of the esotericas I have tried have tasted delightfully old world).

They call this a broken flake but it’s really more of a wide cut like Esoterica Dunbar. The aroma of prunes, dried apples, maybe a dash of vinegar and figs are present. This smokes smooth, smoother than say, Escudo in my opinion. This is a VaPer through and through, with a healthy perique presence, nice and peppery. This will be an excellent candidate for aging. More later this week as I finish the tin...

Pipe Used: Savinelli Porto Cervo 122

Age When Smoked: Two years old & fresh

Purchased From: Payless Cigars and Pipes

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (166)

Ribbon strands; smells peaty in tin.

Acceptable moisture content; burns steady for me. Not bitey or hot. Smoked full tin as usual.

Not sweet but not bitter. Somewhat sour, earthy, nutty, pinto-bean like. I can detect some Virginia grass, hay, but not the sweeter citrus element of Tilbury. Mostly burley content to me but Kentucky not as deep as hh bold Kentucky.

Not as deep as brown flake but more burley than that one or Bridge.

I do not see or detect any perique but there is a figgy character to the taste.

Not mild but medium; repeatable during day for seasoned smoker.

Hard to find, as are the other two similar picks--bridge and brown flake.

Good for straight vabur puffer.

Pipe Used: St. Claude large billiard

Purchased From: Ebay

Similar Blends: Bridge old brown flake, brown flake, or Tilbury by Germaine..

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (141)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

B.K. Flake is a very nice VA/Bur blend (7 types of Virginia's with Kentucky). The tin has a misprint (Kenyucky..one key position away from the proper spelling) and I would like to say a better misprint would be Kenyummy!) Germain has a loyal following and they can't seem to get supply to meet demand. That is likely due to the companies 100% commitment to quality and a process that cannot be rushed or scaled quickly. This new blend is another home run in my opinion. The tin note is reminiscent of Marlboro cigarettes to me, I never smoked cigarettes but I had family and friends that did my whole life and this smells like a fresh pack to me. In other words, this smells like tobacco to me, no other adjectives come to mind. The flavor is truly amazing. I like Burley and I love Virginia's. The marriage of these tobacco's yield something greater than its parts: 1+2 = 5 in this equation. Germain's process is likely part of the alchemy here. There is a topping on the blend but it is not something I can pin point in smell or taste. If I had to guess it is an essence of chocolate or vanilla or a similar liqueur. The tasting notes are as follows: The base of Virginia's are sweet and hay like, There are grassy and citrus notes coming from the miriad of VA's. The sweetness hints of stewed fruits (apples and pears) and there are some high citrus notes here and there. There is also toasted bread: rye and whole grain. The Burley is first class. It reminds me of Uhle's Burley, and that is a high compliment. The Kentucky provides nutty and toasty qualities with hints of chocolate in the background. This is a really wonderful blend. This is like other Germain blends, it does not bite. I do not know what kind of sorcery they employ but their Virginia's and Burley's do not bite, no mater how hard you push them, and I find tasty blends bet pushed more as you try to get the most flavor you can our of them. This will require few to no relights if dried properly, about 30 minutes did it for me. As you smoke down this bowl I can taste SG FGF or SG BBF, I literally had to look back to my jar to remind myself what I was smoking. These similarities are fleeting tastes, not something I noticed at once or that persisted, but I did find my mind wondering a few times s I smoked through the first tin. I hate to hold one blender on a pedestal like I tend to do when reviewing Germain blends but they do seem to hold a consistent line. Impressive stuff. Nic hit on this one is on the medium to full side of the scale. I am a nicotine light weight and like to know what I am in for. I had to put this one down mid bowl in full size pipes, even on a full stomach, so if you are sensitive to nicotine like me, know that there is a fair portion in this blend

Pipe Used: briar's, cob's and meerschaum

Age When Smoked: fresh tin