Mild mellow and naturally aromatic since 1859. Virginia and latakia base with a touch of perique, black cavendish, and burley.

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Blended ByJohn Brandt
Manufactured ByWilke Pipe Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz., 4oz., 8oz., 16oz. Pouch, Bulk
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

The smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian latakia is the lead component as well as a team player. The toasty, nutty, earthy, woody burley is in an important support position. The unsweetened brown sugary black cavendish almost plays a secondary role as does the grassy, citrusy, lightly dark fruity Virginias. The plum is more noticeable than the spice from the perique, which continually lurks in the background. The strength barely reaches the medium level while the taste sits squarely on that mark. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite and has no rough edges or harshness. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with very consistent, well balanced mildly sweet and lightly savory flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and can be all day smoke. The sweetness reminds me a little of Balkan Sobranie 759.

-JimInks

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (302)

To think that this blend was created before the civil war is unreal, plus the fact that the recipe has survived for so long is reason enough to try some.. I had a sample and ordered the custom glass jar of it, the label is just so beautiful, really gorgeous in my man cave. SCP is one of those English blends i can smoke anywhere since it has some Black Cavendish that takes the edge off the latakia stink and adds some sweetness. Combined with the Virginia's gives the blend a Karo syrup sweetness (but not nearly as sweet, just a comparison) and keeps the blend from being too dry which is what usually keeps me from smoking blends like SMM or Standard Mixture Full, i prefer a red wine to a dry white for the same reason. Not strong in the nicotine department and mild enough to be an English Breakfast type blend or a closer to the end of day if you need a mild blend for that cause. We really need to commend John over at Wilke since he's taken over. He's added tons of vintage blends that he bought the recipe's for. He's taken an already wonderful business and not only expanded but brings customer service to a new level, as good as any of the best... Btw I just found out that Walter Kronkite smoked # 72 and General Douglas MacArthur smoked Wilke tobacco's!

Pipe Used: GBD & Radice

Age When Smoked: Freshly blended i believe

Purchased From: Wilke Tobacco

Tabak Trak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tabak Trak (78)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I spoke with John Brandt over the phone to place an order to complete the varietals needed for blending my own Balkan & mentioned that I was never completely satisfied with anything I've tried in the past but was getting close to what I was after. Some have come close to the BSOM & some have turned out awful & none that I'd deem exceptional. So, he knew exactly what I was after & during our conversation he suggested trying the Crystal Palace & stated that he liked it really well & smoked it himself on a regular basis. So, I placed an order & purchased a small pouch of this from his Wilke Pipe Tobacco shop to sample. I received it in the mail just yesterday & opened the pouch this afternoon & the aroma was sweet & smoky.

Has anyone ever fired off a blend & right from the charring light knew they were going to like it? That was my first impression with Surbrug's Crystal Palace. The pouch aroma & sweetness transferred to the smoke the instant I fired it off. Then I thought, "Just think, it's going to get even better as it burns down & sure enough, it turned into one of the best Balkan blends I've ever sampled." It had a flavor reminiscent of the Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture with that elusive, alluring flavor & sweetness that could be tasted in each draw. The Cyprian Latakia is of high quality but is not overwhelming & plays well with the fruity Perique & sweetness from the Black Cavendish infusion. The Virginia also adds some of its inherent sweetness to the mixture as well. I didn't taste any Burley. Actually, if I didn't know what the blend consisted of other than the Latakia, I couldn't have guessed what they were because they all played so well together... like a professional orchestra.

You can smoke this in a corn cob pipe, an old pipe, a new pipe... even a stove pipe & it will deliver some of the best Balkan flavor you've ever smoked in your life. I've bought and tried quite a few tins & pouches through the years trying to find something that could rival the flavor of the BSOM & now my search is over. I'm even considering halting my blending ambitions but probably will continue only maybe not as enthusiastically for I'm doubtful I could come up with anything as good as this. I simply was amazed at how the varietals melded together almost right from the start to produce the flavor I've been seeking in a good Balkan mixture. I'll be ordering two eight ounce jars today & this will definitely remain in my rotation as long as I'm above ground but maybe by the grace of God, I can take it with me.

Pipe Used: GBD Virgin Apple, Missouri Meerschaum, D. S. Huber

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: Wilke Pipe Tobacco

Similar Blends: The Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture.