4noggins.com

A fragrant and mild Burley pipe tobacco.

BrandLane Limited
Taste

2.7
Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

Over the past couple of months I began seriously searching for OTC blends that would really satisfy something that I've not been able to satisfy with tobacco shop bulk blends. I've been smoking a pipe since the late 60's and in all these years have never found a bulk tobacco I wanted to really stick with - something I could come home to, plug into my pipe without thinking and being satisfied with - something simple, pleasant, not requiring thinking or the temptation to taste this or that and having enough nicotine to relax me.

Since I can't find a store that stocks a good selection of pouches any longer (I'm getting the impression that people only smoke Captain Black anymore) I ordered tubs of three classic American blends to try. Tubs of tobacco are a bit of a commitment and I read hundreds of reviews on this site to narrow my search down to those that sounded like what I would like. These reviews have proved immensely helpful because I like all three so far.

This review is about what I think is my favorite of the three, Granger. The other two are Walnut and Sugar Barrel. I have, in the past, smoked adequate amounts of two standards of the OTC genre, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Both were quite good but neither was quite what I was looking for. Oh yes, I forgot to mention SWR. I buy that from time to time but have yet to finish a whole pouch. I keep forgetting I really don't like it - too flavored I think.

Granger is a straight burley that isn't overly cased or flavored. In fact, there is very little. The tobacco isn't overly PG'd either. I really hate sticking my hand into tobacco and having it stick to my fingers. I like the cut of the tobacco as well. It is large and burns slower than ribbon cuts. The flavor was burley, burley and of course, burley - burley up front, burley in the middle and burley in the rear. I forgot to mention that I like burley. And, it feels full in the mouth. I think of it as kind of round. I love the fullness of it. PA is "thin" by comparison. I have to say that it does bite a bit but I'm willing to tolerate the bite for this one. I did spread this out on a thin tray to give it a weeks drying time and it reduced the bite. I grew up in VA where Edgeworth Slice was as common as PA and I found it a bit bitter or something and I could never quite get into it. I just smoked enough to get the little hinged tins I liked so much that were very handy to keep a little tobacco stash in the glove compartment. Anyway, I like this much better than what I remember of Edgeworth and that is the closest comparison I can think of. There is some similarity to Half & Half but Granger burns slower and has a bigger flavor uninterrupted by Virginia and is less cased.

As far as the room note goes, I don't really know. I can't sense the room note of something I'm smoking and since you can't smoke around other humans any longer it really doesn't matter what it smells like anyway does it?

This certainly isn't the "end all" in tobacco but it very much satisfies what I am looking for in an all day smoke and I very much recommend it to other burley lovers as a must try.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This stuff tastes like straight burley with no casing or topping at all. It is monochromatic from first light down to the last dregs. I don't get any nuttiness as others have tasted but I do get a natural, slightly sour flavor. There is no bite or goop or aftertaste. It makes a nice change of pace from aros and English blends but I'm not likely to ever get more of it. 2 stars.

My first experience with Granger was over 35 years ago. I was drawn to that old-fashioned pipey aroma coming from a colleague's briar. After reading all of the reviews for Granger I was prompted to revisit it once again. I would call the present variety a cut plug as I seem to remember a cube cut years ago. Also, I remember it being lighter in color. My current canister contains a slightly darker brown mix.

The contents in my tin was so soft to the touch - it was like the comfort felt when you lay your head on a new, soft pillow. Very sensuous! It didn't feel moist, just soft. The tin aroma reminded me of slightly fermented apples. One of my kids said it smelled like Church wine. Another said prunes. No problem with packing and the initial lighting posed not much of a problem. It did need frequent relights and I attributed this to its apparent state of freshness. After drying it out with the lid off the canister for a few days, this seemed to have improved the burn. The flavoring was interesting. I definitely could taste the Burley. It was topped with something relatively sweet - a cross between apples and raisins for me. I honestly don't remember this flavor after so many years of having not smoked Granger. Right out of the tin it smoked quite hot and the flavoring was somewhat harsh. The typical "drying it out before smoking" did seem to help some with the heat factor but not much with the harshness, nor have I found Granger all that forgiving if you're a fast puffer. No matter how much drying time you give it, it must be smoked very slowly to avoid the heat, and you can not pack it too tightly. Give it some breathing room and use gentle tamping. I can't say that Granger bites, but it always seems to scorch the roof of my mouth, even with the slowest puffing cadence I can give it without needing to re-light the bowl. I suspect this is from whatever chemicals are used as a preservative, as it feels like a chemical burn on my palate and not a burn generated from heat alone. I like the taste and the room note it emits, but the way it can scorch my palate certainly makes for a not too pleasant smoking experience.

The Burley, while perhaps not from the best leaf grade, does provide sufficient Burley flavor throughout smoke, although at times harsh. I think some of the "plastic" taste others have experienced is most likely due to the humectant used in the processing. Also, when fresh, it tastes overly fermented and harsh. Just let it sit for a few days in the can with the lid off. I also have found it best smoked with a filter (Medico, Dr. Grabow), helping to reduce the harshness/heat factor for a somewhat more tolerable smoke. On the positive side, no gurgles or mess left in my pipe to speak of. It says "rough cut" on the can and does burn slowly. I would love this in a broken flake form or cube cut as I am sure it would smoke cooler right out of the can.

The only other codger Burleys I can compare Granger with would be Prince Albert, Half and Half, ERR, and SWR regular. I did not care for the Prince in taste or room note - too cigarette-like, and I really didn't care for that clove-like taste of Half and Half. SWR easily was in the same camp as both Granger and ERR.

If it wasn't for the palate scorching, Granger would be an everyday smoke for me since I am partial to Burley and enjoy both its tin/room note, and mildly sweet flavor. In spite of the difficulties I have had with Granger, I like it enough to persevere in my quest to eliminate the palate scorching as I am sure it is my mouth's reaction to the chemicals used in its processing and not the tobacco itself. I smoke many other Burley blends and have never experienced any palate discomfort whatsoever. For what Granger is beneath all the chemical fixings, it rates 4 stars. Because of how I have to coax it along, my personal rating is 3 stars. With well over a year of drying and daily churning the tobacco in the tin with the lid off, the harshness and chemical factor did reduce but not disappear for me. What a shame as it is a tasty tobacco with a lovely, old-timey room note.

A bit of history for all of you tobacco buffs. Granger was originally produced by the Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co. A Mr. J.N. Wellman was credited with making a pipe tobacco that was "very popular" utilizing what was referred to as the "Wellman Method". This was around 1870. After he died, it was forgotten about until many years later having been acquired by Ligget & Myers, the dates I discovered point to anywhere from the late 1870s to the late 1890s. It was this "method" that was utilized in developing the tobacco known as Granger ("A pointer on fine tobacco."). My search thus far has failed to turn up what the "Wellman Method" actually is. In 1897 the Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co was acquired by the American Tobacco Co. I can not ascertain whether Granger as we know it was originally produced by the original L&M Co or by the American Tobacco Co using the name Ligget & Myers. I assume the later since the old newspaper adds that I discovered that mention much of the above come from newspapers from the early 1930s and advertise Granger as something new and unique. L&M was no longer in existence at that time, but ATC was. Perhaps they still utilized the L&M name for some sort of brand recognition. This is what leads me to believe L&M first produced a smoking tobacco that ultimately became Granger under ATC. I can not find out when the Pinkerton Tobacco Co, who now produces Granger, took over the manufacturing.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (15)

Granger is a very pleasant burley (and so far as I can tell it is only burley) that is fun to smoke for those who enjoy burley, but there is nothing to get excited about.

The cut is small cubes, and it smokes cool. Originally it was a much larger cube, which in the heyday of OTC smoking mixtures differentiated it from brands such as Prince Albert which could be (and often were) smoked as RYO. If memory serves me correctly, when the cube size was diminished the pouch announced "new improved cut" for several decades.

Some reviewers grouse concerning a play doh taste. Whatever the "old time Wellman's process" supposedly used on Granger happens to be, this tobacco is slightly fermented, and has a faint sourish whang as an undertone to the flavor. This is the way that it is supposed to taste, but that doesn't mean that you are supposed to like it. The taste is not overly strong; I have rated it mild to medium.

The burley provides a goodly amount of nicotine, a boon for those who like the jolt and a bane for those who do not.

The room note is of a pleasant "old time pipey" variety.

At the time I write this review, the headnote says it is available in a 3 oz. pouch. Not exactly. It is not now, nor was it ever, in a 3 oz. pouch. So far as I can tell can tell, Granger is now available only in a 12 oz. canister. That is more of this tobacco than I want to buy at one time.

While the small pouch was available, I purchased Granger at some frequency as a utility smoke.

This is my favorite OTC, and it was my grandfather's daily smoke. This is a good basic burley that is hard to find locally. I find the pouches and cans have a different taste.

I would like to see a better distribution for Granger, and I would smoke it more often if I could get it.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)

An excellent Burley tobacco. The light topping adds a very mild sweetness but isn't chemical tasting or bitter. This is one of the few burleys that I could smoke all day long. Simple, tasty and easy on the tongue. This isn't the most complex blend on the market, but it isn't supposed to be. You could pay a lot more for tobacco much worse than this.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Much is made of Carter Hall and Prince Albert. True, these are "no nonsense" tobaccos suitable for smoking from first thing in the morning until bedtime. True, they are tried and proven. True they burn well almost no matter what, go well in a cob, and taste "like tobacco."

But for those of us who prefer more robust tobaccos, Granger does EVERYTHING that PA or CH does and does it better. It's not strong by my standards - medium bodied, perhaps even mild to medium. It has a fairly full taste, though, being more medium to full. Burley is often praised for it's "nutty" flavor, but Granger is the nuttiest of all. It is semi sweet. It smokes easily. It is cheap. It has real tobacco flavor and a depth and richness that most "drug store" blends can't match. I wouldn't say this is my favorite tobacco, but if I had nothing other than this, I'd still be a smoker - and a reasonably contented one at that.

I recommend this tobacco. If you don't like old school American burley blends, it may not be for you. If you only like mild blends, it may not be for you. But I like it a lot, and I think you should try this classic blend. For my money, the only American "OTC" still produced that can approach this one is Sir Walter Raleigh, which is sweeter and semi-aromatic, but could stand up to Granger in terms of body and depth.

Get a pouch and give it a try. You might discover you like it a lot. I didn't expect too much from it, but I ended up really liking it.

bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Saw this at my local country pantry, second OTC brand and second burley Solani ABF being the first.

Uniform in color and cut, I cannot readily label the scent, wbich is earthy and...woody?

The cut is so uniform in the pouch its almost sawdust-like, or at least shaving-like, as if it would be easy to roll.

Taste is monochromatic. I can label it burley, but where ABF showed depth and strength, Granger smokes like cool smokey air to me. This toby has gaught me burley's role in adding strength as well as coolness to blends, and even chugging through a cob it never got hot enough to bite.

Straight burleys, and virginias for that matter just dont float my boat -at least at this point in time.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Local Country Market

05Venturer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
05Venturer (3)

Just got my first tub of Granger yesterday and had to open it up and give it a shot. Very glad I did, this is the burley I have been searching for, I think this one may replace Carter Hall as my go to Codger Blend.
Damn good tobacco and a damn good price.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: 45

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Carter Hall , Prince Albert.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

Another old burley blend from years ago. Damn fine burley. A bit earthy, a little chocolaty, and a tiny bit spicy... All hallmarks of a quality burley. I tried this before back when Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was discontinued (God only knows why) and didn't like it at all (when produced by Lane). But, I noticed that Granger is now being produced by Scandinavian Group and it taste much better without that casing that Lane Co. was using a few years back. lately I've been smoking a lot of burley (mainly Carter Hall) and thought I'd try it again... Very happy I did. The only issue I have with it, is that, you'll have to let this dry out quite a while. However, I usually use the air-pocket method. I use this packing method with shag and ribbon cuts, but it also does pretty well with Granger's rough cut due to it's moisture content. Packing this way really helps to dry the tobacco as I smoke without leaving such a damp bottom in my pipe... Enjoy.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Granger is a very nice quality BU. And I like the fact that the tub it is sealed like GL Pease products. The cut is rough, the leaf a darker shade of brown, and the tobacco smells rather nutty and something almost fruity. My tub gave me a perfect humidity level, it was ready to smoke right away. Because of the cut, it can be a bit hard to get going but once properly lighted, it smokes cool, nice and dry. The taste will remain just a bit nutty with the pure taste of tobacco. No hint of that fruity aroma in the tub. Because of the cut, as well,if smoked too hastily, Granger`s pointer will bite ;-) Overall, an excellent OTC product, of a higher quality, I believe, than Prince Albert and Carter Hall. And the nicotine might seem like nothing at first but, towards the last third, you know it's there. And I am fine with that. If you are looking for a good OTC BU with barely a topping, try Granger. Scandinavian Tobacco Group just keeps significantly upgrading the American classics. To our greatest benefit. The pointer has found a new home: mine.

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I like that it's not drenched in PG like Half and Half is. This is no-nonsense burley with some sweetness and nutty notes. I would not recommend smoking it dry; moisten it lightly to help avoid tongue bite, which you'll likely get if you puff it too fast. I fairly much enjoyed smoking it, but it's too mild for my taste. I'd rather give it two and half stars instead of two, but this is not a three star OTC burley when compared to SWR, Carter Hall, and Sugar Barrel, hence the two star rating. But if I'm sitting at a fellow pipe smoker's house and run out of my own tobacco, I'll smoke Granger if he has it, without any complaint. I've certainly smoked worse tobacco.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is as close to the true old fashioned burley taste of yore as one is likely to get in a major tinned production tobacco. The rough cut does facilitate slower burning and the Wellmann process, if still used, adds to the charm of this very old codger blend. Flavor improves to the bottom of the bowl and usually produces a fairly dry smoke even when the tin is first cracked.

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wanted to experiment with an OTC tobacco and chose this one because of the bird dog, very scientific. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a straightforward American tobacco from yesteryear. It has little or no subtleties to it and is very consistent. I find this to be great when I want to smoke and not think, like when I am fishing or mowing the lawn. At those times that I don't want to contemplate the subtleties in a Balkan or fine aromatic, I will go for Granger. It also seems to go hand in hand with a cob.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)

My son gave me a can of Granger for Christmas, and I couldn't have been happier. My Great-Grandfather smoked this and nothing but this his whole life, and now I know why. You just didn't mess around with Grandpa. He was very straight forward, and that's what I have found out about his favorite tobacco. Granger is just a really good, nothing fancy, but very satisfying smoke. Smells good in the can, smells good in the room, and even though there's a dog on the can, it will never bite you! Grandpa was, at the very least, a no-nonsense kind of guy, and Granger is all that in a pipe tobacco. I still prefer CH as my everyday burley, but Granger is a nice alternative.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked it for the first time recently. A bit hot & harsh, but flavorful, nutty aroma & taste. A good OTC blend.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

An iconic, rich and substantive 20th Century U.S. American burley tobac standard. Glad to know it has survived the years and is still readily available at reasonable prices if you are willing to investigate. I try to forget this great national blend is owned by Swedish Match, a huge European tobacco and food product conglamorate.

Hadn't tried it for decades, but after recently purchasing a 12 Oz. tub glad I did. From the first whiff upon opening the lid, tamping down the emminently packable leaf, and settling in after the first needed char light, I felt relaxed,content. But don't hurry this leaf along as it can induce some bitter blow back taste and residue if puffed too aggressively. Also seems to taste better in smaller bowls. Love the name "Granger," the signature friendly dog image, and its nostalgic reminder of an agrarian and rural America pretty much lost as the world has turned so many times.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

As a traditional OTC blend, Granger is comparable to PA, Mild Kentucky Club, Carter Hall, etc. To me, Granger is the best of all the above.

This blend is very consistent from first light to bottom of the bowl. Not complex, even monochromatic. Smooth, no bite, copious clouds of smoke. Room note is not great, so I wouldn't describe this as a "social" tobacco. Pouch aroma and taste produce a distinct, sweetish raisin flavor. Almost the equivalent of smoking a Dr. Pepper soda pop.

I enjoy Granger most when I'm doing something else: mowing the lawn or working in the garage.

Recommended.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)

I got a tub of Granger. I've read the reviews and was troubled about the 'plastic' taste everybody talked about. I opened it up and proceeded to pack my cob. I lit it up . . . It wasn't bad. As one reviewer said here, it did taste 'raisin' like. The plastic taste came and went. It was also hard to keep lit. I puffed like a maniac and burned hell out of my tongue. I will see how it goes as it ages.

Phototone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phototone (6)

This is another tobacco that has changed over the years. The cut is nowhere near the "rough cut" it used to be. Still a pleasant smoke. It seems like most of these old time drug-store blends are now made from the same "cut" of tobacco, regardless of blend.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I really wanted to love this tobacco. That blue package with the pointer on the front makes me think of old times, of good old fashioned hard working people, and morals, and the American dream. Unfortunately all I found was a pretty bland burley tobacco.

I do not want to mislead people. This blend delivers exactly what it advertises. It is a no nonsense straight forward smooth and cool smoke. No tongue bite, not gurgle, no hot pipe, and next to no exciting flavors. It burns great, has a great price point, but does not interest me at all.

Here you have a typical nutty burley blend with a slight sweet topping. Pairs well with a nice cup of coffee but I prefer Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall to this one.

Some people find a really great thing in this blend, and good for them, I wish I could see it too. Just not for me. Not because of what it is, but because of what it is not. As always, try it. It is not expensive or hard to find, and if nothing else your hard earned money is going to keeping a long time brand running.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I came across this stuff again after a lot of years and since I have been slumming with old drug store blends again I decided to give it a try once more. Well it ain't bad. It burns cool and dry. It has a component of dark Kentucky like burly in it and has a dark, nutty taste that doesn't change and is not very sweet at all. I wish it also came as a flake. I'll bet if you added a little Red VA. and some Latikia and some Turkish leaf and pressed the hell out of the mixture for a day or so it would be excellent. It seems like a great mixer. I kind of like the stuff but don't think it will become a regular.

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

You're probably wondering why people would enjoy Granger when the famous Prince Albert has won the hearts of so many pipe smokers(myself included)and there's two easy answers for that...1.you don't normally find Granger at every grocery store2.Prince Albert and Granger are very different from each other despite being a straight burley.The cut of tobacco in Granger i'm not really a critic on,straight burley is a scoop and serve tobacco.The smell of Granger in the can and pouch has a creamy molasses yet slightly raisin scent to it.The taste of Granger is no surprise it's straight burley-just a smooth and nutty taste that gets bolder towards the bottom but what makes Granger different is it has a dark and rich character to it,making it a tasty smoke which I believe is thanks to it's fermentation process.Granger does leave your pipe dry,I was expecting the rich taste to leave alot of residue but surprisingly my pipe was pretty clean afterwards.Would I recommend Granger?definitely.I'm an all-day every day PA smoker,but Granger I consider to be an indulgence since it's not exactly on every street corner.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (12)

This was one of my grandfather's favorites and for that reason alone, one of mine. In his honor, I smoke one bowl a day in in a no-name double bent briar he carried in the trenches near the Argonne Forest during WW I and only this burley and his other all day blend, Half and Half, can ever touch this sacred relic. That said, and with an attempt at sidelining my obvious bias, I will provide my insight. I can't comment on the quality nor consistency of this blend out of the pouch as I only buy the 14 ounce tub - the tobacco therein I immediately transfer to the tin my grandfather left at our house during his last visit in 1969. On opening, the tin note is unmistakably slightly overbaked chocolate cake with a faint fermented dark fruit bouquet. Neither transfer to the taste. The appearance is a consistent, medium- to-dark brown rough cut although not quite a shag. Regarding the taste, this is a classic burley-flavored burley cased in burley with a heavy burley topping. Burley, burley, burley, all day burley. That's it. No more, no less. No frills. I never experience bite, although my cadence with this one is always slow and contemplative. Good, dry ash with minimal to no dottle can be counted on at my slow cadence. Packs well and stays lit with minimal tamping and relights required. Aftertaste is pure tobacco. According to my wife, the room note compared to my usual blends and aromatics, is nothing to write home about, although I rather like it. A classic that will appeal to any burley aficionado. Recommended

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)

Another one of my long time favorites - heck, it is my favorite. One of the grocery stores in a the city where I work has it from time-to-time, and I always make sure to pick some up when they have it. Mild strength, pleasing aroma, and a flavor that I can't quite figure out but like. Just be sure to smoke it slowly because it can heat up on you and bite the dickens out of your tongue.

My uncle Danny was a huge fan of old-time classics like Granger, Velvet, Prince Albert, and Carter Hall, and smoked them all in his trademark corncob pipes. I find that these are the same tobaccos I gravitate to when I don't feel like driving 35 miles to the nearest dedicated pipe shop - which is most of the time.

Sure, I could buy "premium" tobacco and smoke it in $300 exotic briar pipes but after 30 years I find the my uncle Danny really did have good smoking sense because I get just as much enjoyment from bowl full of inexpensive Granger in a cheap $5.00 corncob pipe.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Granger... Another old timer. To best describe this stuff, the phrase … “Straight no B.S. tobacco taste” hits the nail on the head. For my mouth chemistry, I do not detect any evidence of a topping, just mild to almost strong tobacco flavor, depending on my puffing cadence. Not unlike many other blends where some basic smoking technique is required, Granger is no different, as careless puffing can produce some noticeable harshness, due your part and you may find why Granger has survived the test of time. With all of that out of the way, for my taste Granger is not my top choice for (OTC) burley blends, I prefer SWR, KCM or McB's GE when it comes to burleys, but I do enjoy Granger on occasions. Overall a slightly stronger basic no frills burley, that I'm sure many will find just what their looking for. Enjoy. My personal rating 3/5

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)

Update 01/27/11: I've smoked about half the 14oz tin, and I can honestly say this tobacco has grown on me. A bit mild, but good tobacco flavor and aroma. I think all tobacco smokes best in a cob. Granger is no exception. Brings back the good old days, when a pipe smoker could walk to the drugstore and buy an endless variety of burley based tobacco, and smoke a pipe anywhere.

Original review: I ordered a tub of this online, as I haven't seen it in stores for decades. Also, in over 40 years of pipe smoking, I had never tried it. Objectively, this stuff is very, very mild. I smoked a few bowls in both filtered and unfiltered briars.(Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow) As an old codger, I want to really like this tobacco, but flavor is at a minimum. The aroma out of the tin leads you to believe that it will taste like good burley with a light topping, but I really could not taste the topping. Decent quality tobacco, I will have no trouble finishing the tin. Nothing harsh or unpalatable about Granger.

Maybe I'm losing my sense of taste, Half and Half (my 40 year tobacco of choice) seems to have lost its flavor. I remember it smoking with much more flavor than the current stuff.

All in all, I recommend Granger to the burley inclined.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

I have been on an OTC binge as of late. This blend was next on the "hit list." Overall, not a bad blend in the genre. It fills and lights rather easily and stays lit throughout the bowl. It does seem to burn down to a nice ash with some dottle in it. It produces a decent amount of smoke with a nice amount of Vitamin N to keep you going and the price is right. I would definitely recommend this blend if you are just getting started.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

I don't know about the tubs but this isn't very good out of the pouches. One pouch will be ok and the next will change. Since I can't get the tubs where I live I have to assume it tastes the same from there.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had my eye on this one for some time. It's the ones like Granger that aren't available locally that make me want to try them all the more. I ordered a 14 oz tin plus two pouches, in order to give it a fair shot without having to open my tin. I had a feeling ahead of time that I might like this one, after reading many of the other reviews. The packaging is very appealing in an old-timey way, and the tobacco when the pouch is opened is a nice chunky rough-cut, uniformly brown, with a beautiful smell of raisins, molasses, and maybe a touch of licorice. It lit easily and stayed lit, smoked beautifully in smaller bowls, but did have tendency to get a bit gurgly toward the bottom of the bowl-- nothing a pipe-cleaner couldn't handle. The flavor stayed consistent for me all the way to the bottom, but did get fairly strong overall-- stronger than any of the "over-the-counter" blends I've tried so far (haven't tried the infamous 5 Bros. yet). Overall, it reminds me a little of Half and Half from the same company, only all burley and without H&H's topping. I love it so far, and am glad I got in a good supply. You never know when (Heaven forbid) these great old blends might get discontinued on us. May it never happen.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are a fan of burley, you should not have a problem with this, it has a casing that,to this day I cannot realy pinpoint. Im thinking licorice and molasses, just a hint though, enough to sweet the burley, this OTC as with Half and Half is pipe smoking that stays true, nothing fancy, but if you get real with yourself, this is the tobacco that is a good friend to a "Gentle mens corn cob, this old boy needs very few lights with a good tamp stays light very well, its got Nic, just like HH, and bite, but what a great front porch smoke. 2stars

BarryE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BarryE (6)

Being a very big fan of Burley blends and Drugstore types, I was anxious to give this oldie a try. I ordered a pouch from my favorite online tobacconist, and on opening the pouch I was greeted with a wonderful sweet scent that only good burley can give. Granger in the pouch is at just the right moisture level that I prefer, without all the excess Propylene Glycol that other blends tend to have. Granger was very easy to pack and stays lit very well, the flavor is one I would describe as burley with a slight anise taste. I am planning on keeping a tub of this old codger blend around for a change of pace smoke. Recommended!

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

I have only been smoking Burley blends for a short time .Here in Australia they are non existant OTC at B&M Tobacconists. So its a matter of ordering them on the Internet from the US.Granger was the first one i tried. Its a lovely all day smoke that never gets hot and the taste is there all the way to the bottom of the bowl.CA and PH would have to be pretty good to equal or better this blend. I am looking forward to trying both of them in the near future.Granger gets = from me .I just wish it was available here in Australia.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The tub aroma is of earthy burley with a tartly fermented quality. Granger Rough Cut adverts from the mid-20th century touted that the "big shaggy flakes" were "cut for pipes and only for pipes." Though currently still identified as a "rough cut", the current presentation is a choppy, wide ribbon.

The flavor is burley, pure and rustic. Although lightly sweetened, there is little or no scenting which might intrude upon the adamantine stolidity. The "Wellman" process seemingly induces a mild ferment which contributes a pleasing funk and wards off vapidness.

Granger is a weighty and satisfying burley yielding a soberly pleasing smoke. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

amanthinketh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amanthinketh (2)

I recieved a 14 oz. tub of Granger from Iwan Reis a few weeks ago. I have probably enjoyed about 3 oz. so far. I was prompted to try this tobacco as a result of reading the reviews noted on this web site. The aroma from the tin I found to be of dried prunes and raisins. My two daughters also noted the smell of raisins. I use my international bent briar that is dedicated only to burley blends of tobacco when smoking this. The tobacco in the tin is somewhat damp but does not hinder the ignition througout the smoke. The room note is sweet like warmed marshmallows which stays with you throughout; a pleasant aroma. The strength of this tobacco I find medium compared to other burley blends. Some mild bite is there but is managable and does not bother or hinder me from my enjoyment. When this tobacco is smoked slowly, there is no bite. The taste of this tobacco goes back to the raisins. After finishing this smoke it tastes like ate a box of sunmaids. Lately I have been experimenting with old vintage type burleys, Cartar Hall, Half and Half and Sir Walter Raleigh. I must say that Granger is my favorite of these blends. This tobacco can most likely be smoked all day without tiring of it. The beverage of choice paired with this tobacco is sweet tea. If anyone knows what the "Wellmans process" is regarding this tobacco please notify me. I am a fan of this tobacco and do recommend to all burley lovers. I found the price of this tobacco also reasonable. 25$ for tin. Thanks for reading.

I received this as a test, in an unmarked baggie, with the request to smoke it down just to the last bowlful before being told what it was. A nice blind tobacco test! I opened the baggie and sniffed, and was rewarded with an aroma that was very "old-timey", reminding me of some of the stuff my dad smoked. A perusal of the tobacco itself made it obvious to me that this was some OTC drugstore burley. Oh, joy (he said sarcastically).

Firing up a bowlful, I smoked and contemplated. Not bad! Dry in the pipe, mild and cool but with a nice rich flavor. It was burley all right and it had some kind of topping but it wasn't intrusive. It just lent a bit of spice and sweetness to the leaf. The more I smoked of this, the better I liked it. Sure, it was a drugstore burley and while I can tolerate them, they certainly aren't in my everyday rotation. This one won't be, either but it'll be one I go to on occasion. At any rate, I figured it would be something like Sugar Barrel or Revelation or one of the more "obscure" OTC blends. Nope, it turned out to be good old Granger Rough Cut, with an hours worth of drying and then mason jar'd. Really a nice, no-nonsense smoke, and as another poster wrote, it seems to be the "best of the codger burleys". At least for me. Smoking the last bowl and knowing it was Granger did not change the taste at all (I'm big into the psychology of biases!)

Dry this stuff out, folks! I'm going to pick up a tub of this and do some experimenting. I don't know that I'd call this a high grade tobacco but who cares? It tastes pretty dang good!

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Best of the codger burleys and gives a solid smoking experience for it's type.

Wish it was easier to find in my area but that is the value of Internet buying.

Plus it has a birddog on the can...that alone gets a R nod from me.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My last stop on the OTC drugstore burley safari. Wished I'd found this one year ago. For some reason this one just plain does it for me. From the tin its a nice, mellow rough cut burley and not much else. I've learned that overpacking results in a less than optimum smoke so I gravity fill one of my larger inexpensive pipes (often a cob), light up and enjoy a smooth, cool and almost sweet tasting tobak. Amazingly consistant throughout the smoke, few relights needed, no goop at the end. This is simplicity itself. I find myself smoking it exclusively (unusual for my habits) whilst the other more ex$pensive blends languish in the larder. I would think any burley smoker would want to try this one. Just remember: this kind of blend was designed for the old timers who had simple, cheap pipes that they just dipped into the tobak and lit up. A great older blend.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Read Redd's review - right on! I did have a little trouble with a plastic taste the first 1/4 of the tin, but non now. A really good burley that I like all day.

Saluki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Saluki (11)

After several large cans of Prince Albert, I bought Granger for a change of pace. What a pleasant surprise! Cool smoking with a nutty aroma, Granger burns to a white ash with no bite. No complexity here, just good straight burley tobacco. Contrary to the description in the listing, this is not a ribbon cut tobacco.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)

I am a true burley lover and I must say that Granger fills the bill perfectly! This is a burley lovers dream - pleasant, nutty taste and aroma, stays lit, no bite! Those who are experiencing bite with this blend must be smoking way too fast. This is a great afternoon smoke and a tribute to the great American "drug store" blends of the past. Glad this one is still available in the present!

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (41)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a lightly cased burley that is terrific by itself or perfect as a base for mixing a blend. I've used this for years while adding some perique, latakia and turkish for a great all day smoke. You can't beat the price for a quality burley tobacco and it's always consistent.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Update: 15 May 2009

The old dog doesn't bite. After 3 months in a jar, either it has lost its teeth or is too tired to bite. Tastes fantastic and even better than it did when fresh. Tastes the same to the end of the bowl.

I am not sure what to say about Granger. It has a good strong aroma in the can, and quite a burley taste once it gets going.

I have to rate it as really very good, in terms of the flavour and burning quality. I didn't taste any plastic, and once it was dried out I couldn't smell or taste any other foreign substances. Overall, a smoke I would definitely keep around.

The only problem is that it bites. Not the bite that you get from some blends -- the steady nibble of ferrets that have been sharpening their teeth on pumice stone for years -- the Granger bite is more like the snap of the hound dog's jaws once in a while. I haven't yet figured out how to avoid the bite, and keep smoking it hoping that the next pipeful will not bite as much.

I use it in my home made hybrid blends, usually mixing it with some Carter Hall and a Latakia blend. I often have Balkans and English blends lying around in open tins and get tired of them as is. Being a burley fan, I find that the Granger spices up the Carter Hall but doesn't damage the overall taste.

That said, Granger is not bad on its own, if only someone woudl feed the dog or tranquilise him. I think I'll fire some up and see if the dog is asleep this time.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Unfortunately, Granger suffers from a few fatal flaws. The first and formost, in my book, is inconsistency, especially in pouch form. Some pouches are just delightful, while others are goopy with PEG and musky with "Wellman process" flavoring. I believe that the "plastic aroma" referred to (which I have experienced with this blend occasionally) is secondary to the fermentation process and the PEG. If this tobacco is allowed to dry out for a couple of days, the off flavors dissapate a bit and the tobacco becomes more of a smokable burley. I find that if I have been smoking Carter Hall or Prince ,and then switch over to this, I get a bit of bite--not really tongue bit, but total mouth bite. After a few bowls this becomes nicer. As someone mentioned, there even appears to be inconsistency bowl to bowl...sometimes it just burns nicely and the taste is mild and there is no off flavor, other times it is a searing halfbowl voyage into plastic garbage bag land. MAYBE this has to do with personal mouth chemistry...

It's quite unfortunate, and I suspect that in earlier times this was a higher quality tobacco, indeed I remember really enjoying this tobacco years ago when I started delving into the american codger burleys. The recent pouches I have purchased have been disappointing and I'd rather not take a chance on a tub when I can spend less and have a tub of something like PA or CH on the shelf. And it's not that easy to find. In my area, we are lucky enough to have a multitude of smokeshops etc. I have only seen it for sale in pouch form in maybe half a dozen retail places around here ever whereas PA, Half and Half, Carter Hall etc. can be picked up at CVS, some local 7-11's and quite a few other places...

I'll smoke through the couple of pouches I have in my cellar here during the next few years, but likely will not pursue any more.

Try it for the experience, you might actually connect with this tobacco...

Bokonon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bokonon (1)

I first tried Granger because it is what my grandfather smoked when I was a kid in the 60's (I remembered the blue tin with the dog on it). I spent summers with my grandparents who lived on a lake, and when I wasn't in the water I followed my grandfather around while he worked on the house that he built with his own hands. I don't think I ever saw him without a pipe in his mouth and wondered if he slept with it.

When I smoked my first bowl of Granger the smell took me right back to Lake Hiawatha and my grandfather. I soon realized why he loved the stuff so. It is as the tin proclaims mild, fragrant and cool. In fact, it is the coolest and driest-smoking tobacco I have ever smoked. I am something of a power smoker, and most tobaccos heat the pipe to the point where I can hardly hold it. This doesn't happen with Granger. The pipe stays cool and relatively dry. And the taste! The more I smoke it the more I like it. After all the fancy aromatics and expensive blends I have smoked, I have found Granger to be a simple, delicious and easy-smoking tobacco that I prefer over all others.

Now this is burley! Rich, a little sweet, smells good, burns well. If you like burley what else can you want for an OTC blend that has flavor from the beginning to end. I like this and will keep some in my rotation. Much better than a lot of expensive blend that claim to be the ultimate burley. Great as a mixer or right from the pouch. Much darker and in a rough cut that I like.

Britannia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Britannia (34)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

No thank you, it doesn't get one star because I would smoke this if it was the only tobacco around. That being said, in my limited pipe experience 1+ years, I have never encountered a blend that is so inconsistent. One bowl you are smoking a menthol cigarette, and the next you are smoking a heavily topped burley, cross your fingers and you may get a pipe full of decent tobacco, and this was in a 2oz bag.

I tried it, I don't like it, and now I'm moving on.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

STOP! If you have never tried a burley blend try a plain burley blend(Prince Albert) before reading this review.....Granger has become the main staple as my everyday smoke.It's a very nice burley with plenty of nuttiness and earthy taste.Now here's the kicker,Granger has a secret ingredient called the 'Wellman Process' which gives it's unique flavor.The topping is dark and rich and reminds me of black coffee.This taste has never been 'plastic' tasting as some have described it.It also packs and lights very well and is a must for taking your burley up a notch.If this blend could have an alternate name it would be 'Hunting Lodge':)

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

ME tp Bo Bo You cant go wrong. What can I say other then "less is more". A simple burley with pleasant aroma. Granger can't be beat for price value & most of all taste. This simple pleasing tobacco has plenty of mellow flavor. The flavor will come and go throughout the smoke,not overwhelming flavor. About 1/2 through the bowl you will realize that this is some good stuff. Soft Aroma thanks to the Wellman Process "whatever that is?" But it works well with Burley tobacco.

This is another true American Classic pipe tobacco. An all day smoke that you will find yourself turning to as an old stand by. Great for breaking in new pipes. Burns even and clean.

I feel that we have all gotten to far away from these basic blends. We also do not give enough credit to our American blends that were staples for so many years. The Micro blends are over blended and often too strong for everyday. They are all copying each other and These blends are really just English Blends for the most part. Granger is also perfect all day good Amreican Blend. Get a tin Now! Redd

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

This was my great-grandfathers smoke of choice. A straight up burley with a mysterious mild topping. It does kind of smell like prune! Very cool, slow, and dry smoking. Go slow with it and it won't heat up. This has a darker flavor than Half&Half and Velvet. I picked up a couple of pouches of this the other day and my opinion has changed. I like Half & Half better! It's cooler and has more tobacco flavor. Granger does have a weird flavor at times, and it makes my sinus and throat sore. I wish I could have smoked this back in the 70's, when it was much better. Many blends have changed through the years and for the worst! I don't know what the weird flavor is but it's probably the plastic taste other reviewers are refering to. Two days of smoking this and my throat and sinuses were raw and sore. I won't be smoking this again! It's a shame, many of the Old School blends are changed in one way or another. I'll take PA or H & H any day over this!

BoBo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoBo (4)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

very cheap, its really good. no plastic tase in it, the people who say theytaste that must be delusional.

ill reccomend this to any one

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)

As many have noted this tobacco is perhaps one of the "best in drug store burleys". As a pipe smoker for 45 years I first encountered this tobacco in 1960 and smoked it off and on for a few years. Further noted is that consistency in manufacturing/processing this tobacco is questionable at best.

Predominately, I smoke Virginia Plug and Flake tobaccos and some Balkan flakes. Rarely do I go outside this area anymore since I find I have the satisfaction necessary with what's available. But as I have explained to many novice and experienced pipe smokers... To find that "ONE" tobacco we all search for, don't get bogged-down in reaching the destination...enjoy the journey itself...for the journey is perhaps more fulfilling than reaching any destination".

With this in mind, I picked-up a few cans of Granger, and as usual with the "old brands" I have enjoyed re-experiencing this simple, straightforward burley. While I've never understood why the manufacturer needs to spray sugar water, or something close to it, in the final process, it none-the-less, provides for an interesting and pleasurable smoke. Since most of my plugs are Matured Virginia's denoting the various differences in tobaccos other than Virginia's is drastic.

I have smoked 10 bowls over the last few days in a Dunhill group 5 straight billiard and while I remember how reasonable it smoked in an old cob, I enjoyed a number of good smokes over the last few days. However, as enjoyable as those smokes were, I am consistently drawn back to my plugs and know why I have resided in that narrow spectrum of tobacco for so long.

Is it worth a try... sure, and as we all have noted the price is right...if you can find it without having to pay high shipping costs.

As a side note...the manufacturer of Granger and several other "drug store" type brands all share in this inconsistent manufacturing process. Its a shame to see that a company can't control their process any better than this...but, they're not the only ones who have problems in this area.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Okay, must update this. Not sure what happened when I gave this three, I think I was not far enough into Granger to give a good opinion. After several pouches, I'm starting to think, yea, it's good, but it's harsh, and the topping I think is the thing that's making it harsh. I'm just not a big fan of toppings, and though I was tolerating it before, I'm just starting to tire of it now. So down to two stars.

smokey stover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey stover (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My grandfather loved this tobacco and smoked it all day long. As a child in the late '30's I used to enjoy the aroma of this tobacco in the tin and the room note was plrasant. I started smoking the pipe at age six teen and of course Granger was my first choice. Over the years I tried just about every drug store brand on the market but always came back to Granger. Today at age 72 it's still my first choice , especially right after breakfast. Slight to moderate nicotine kick with a hint of flavoring-perhaps raisins? I believe it is cured by fermentation-"Wellmans Process" My wife doesn't like the room note but others insist it smells like "real tobacco" as opposed to the aromatics. Smoke slowly and it is mild with no bite. This is my favorite and while it is becoming had to find The Tobacco Center in Williamsport'Pa. always keeps a few tins on hand as it seems that there are others in the area who enjoyit as well. Moreover at $16.50 per can you can't beat the price. Highly recommended!

When I first opened the pouch, smell was a bit like prunes! I let it sit for about a week. When I checked back it smelled like plain tobacco. It has a nice,nutty, toasty, flavor, and is a cool dry smoke. The room note is sweet and nostalgic. It does have bit of a nicotine kick, but nothing dramatic. A classic old fashioned American tobacco.

This is better in the can than in the pouch. Sometimes this stuff has a plastic taste to it that really puts me off. Other times it is very pleasant. I wish it were more consistent. Oh well. It's a moot point as Granger is no longer available where I live.

tiltjlp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tiltjlp (7)

I'm very much a burley lover, so I have been wanting to sample Granger. There isn't anything I can say against this blend, but I do find it a bit weak-kneed, especially in comparision to my regular burley blend, Carter Hall. As for any room note, at age 60, my sense of smell is much weaker than my sense of taste.

Granger lacks the fuller nuttiness of Carter Hall, IMNSHO. But then, I've smoked CH for 40 years, and know it like the friend it has become. I think Granger would make a wonderful blender base for a personal, custom blend, since it does have a good, clean, honest burley taste. If it were bolder it would be on my Must Have List. A perfect choice for a new piper who wants to start off slowly.

Isaiah 53:3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Isaiah 53:3 (8)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

As a burley fan, I had thought I would enjoy this blend more. It wasn't bad, but did not seem to have a solid tobacco taste. I believe this blend undergoes a process similar to that of cavendish to make it mild-perhaps it became too mild.

I've held on to the pouch for about 2 years so perhaps I will give it another try.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, this is an old blend and its name, no doubt, pays tribute to America?s agricultural community as the word ?granger? is a (rarely used) synonym for ?farmer? (and/or a member of The Grange). Some folks call Granger an ?Over The Counter? blend and others call it a ?Drug Store? blend. Regardless of its heritage and the name, I call it a GREAT SMOKE!

Some non-burley lovers and previous reviewers who found this tobacco lacking may think I am suffering from ?delusions of Granger? in having rated this blend with four stars. I have no delusions about this blend! I like a good, honest burley and Granger fills the bill. This is a solid, simple, old fashioned, ?cracker barrel? straight burley with an unidentifiable light, topping that I found totally satisfying. I experienced no bite, just a cool, flavorful smoke with a modest hay like sweetness and toasty nuttiness from beginning to end that was augmented with a nice nic kick. A few previous reviewers have made mention of a plastic taste. I have only five words in response, "I did not taste plastic."

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.8 out of 10.

Bob in Beijing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob in Beijing (4)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I read all the other reviews, and since I liked Carter Hall, but not its gurgle, or Velvet I thought I'd give this one a try. Turns out there is a reason this one has been around for eons. Granger lites easily, burns slowly while tasting great. When you're done, there's little dottle left to dump.

Thank you all the other reviewers for pointing me in the right direction.

It's a mail order proposition only here in China, but worth the wait.

NB I bought it in a pouch six pack given my desert climate. None of the "soapy" taste others have experienced, so maybe theirs was packed on a Monday.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yuk! What is up with the plastic taste as I smoke this blend??!! I had high hopes for this tobacco, I even purchased a large tub, thinking I would enjoy it. What a disappointment! In the tin it smells wonderful, and it packs extremely well, but when I lit up, it tasted like I was smoking plastic! I tried smoking this blend through several pipes, all with the same result, YUK! I thought it might be the PG content, because the tobacco was too moist for a Burley blend, but PG has never tasted this way before, and I smoked PG soaked Drugstore blends for years before "moving up" to higher end blends, and none of them ever tasted like this. I noticed several reviewers having the same complaint, and also stating that they may have got a bad batch. Well, I am unable to purchase the small pouches locally, and I don't think I will "roll the dice" on another tub to see if it is any better, so I am done with Granger. And once again, I must say...YUK!!!!!!!!!!

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I am a contractor in the home improvement feild, my jobs carry me into many once remote areas. I still find old mom and pop country stores, in my journeys today I found one that had a couple boxed pouches of this simple but surprising blend. I had read the reviews just this past week while looking over past blends I had tried, back in the 80's I had tried this blend and must admit I found it lacking, Back then it seemed it was a biter as well as being lacking in flavor, But at that time I was smoking mainly black cavendish blends that were heavy cased. Today was quite different I will continue my experiments with the old classics.., to sum it up just plain simple pleasure. never mind trying to analyze whats in it.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (7)

This tobacco is among the best of the so- called drugstore brands. The initial aroma upon opening the can is that of prunes and other dried fruits. The taste is mild and does not vary through the bowl. It smokes well in all pipes as it burns fairly dry. This is a good all day blend.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a very light and fresh tasting all-day smoke. It reminds me of Sail Aromatic (green) but it has less distiction in character. The ease with which this smoke satisfies is perhaps just down to the fact that I'm looking for an all-purpose blend, and this will certainly hit the mark every time. It'd better; I bought the 14oz can. We'll see if it gets better or bitter with age, like so many of us can.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Granger,IMO, is one of the grand old "Drugstore Tobaccos", that has been around for about 80 years. This is straight Kentucy burley, that has a nice nutty flavor, with a light topping that smells like rasin/purunes. This burley has strength and a good nicotine punch, with a mild sweetness that dosen't over power the tobacco. The room note is very pleasant! For those of you who have tried some of the other burley brands like Velet or Prince Albert, and found them two mild, Granger will be a pleasant taste suprise.

This tobacco is rough cut, compared to crimp cut or finner cut tobaccos mentioned above. You can get a 14oz. can form JR Cigars for $13.99. Granger is a better burley tobacco than some of the more expensive ones I tried in tobacco shops. No bite, burns cool and dry. Give it a try!

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

My trek into the world of drugstore burleys has ended with Granger. I seek no further!!! As a 31 year old pipe smoker I have no sense of nostalgia like many of the other reviewers of this blend. It's simply 14 oz of heaven for $14.95!!! No other way to describe. It packs well, lights well, burns well, tastes great, and smells nice. Pipe was bone dry. Any topping was barely discernable. Nothing complex here. Just good tobacco flavor at a great price.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

OK, here it is... This tobacco does not pretend to be something it's not. It is a "drugstore burley" although I looked all over town and never did find it at a drug store or any other store for that matter. I got a 14 oz can from J.R. Cigar for $13.95. That works out to less than a dollar an ounce!! This is a good everyday mowin the grass, driving the truck etc. tobacco. It wont replace Pease and C&D by any means but I plan on keeping a big tin of this stuff around to enjoy when I cant spend the time to really get in to the whole smoking experience! This stuff burns great and leaves the bowl dry as a bone. I did not notice a medicine or plastic taste to this at all. Ducksbreath remarked that if this were aftershave it would be Aqua-Velva. (I am an old school Aqua-Velva guy myself) thats part of the reason I tried this!! He is right, straight foward, old school, this is what Grandad would have liked, straight up burley tobacco flavor! Cant go wrong for the price. Give it a try.

Update The more I smoke this stuff, the better it is. I went with the four star rating before due primarily to the price. This tobacco is really good stuff! I have gone through almost a pound of this and it is better every time I smoke it. Just fill the pipe gravity style and push down slightly and sit back and enjoy a truly wonderful smoke!! This tobacco is nothing fancy, but sometimes I think less is more!!

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was picking up some odd items at Wal-Mart today and out of curiosity poked my head towards the tobacco counter to see what they were offereing. I noticed Granger, remembered hearing something about it, wondered how bad it could be, and figured for $3 it was worth satisfying my curiosity.

I like burley based blends - some of my favorites are Haunted Bookshop, Butternut Burley, and Old Tartan. Granger was unlike any of those, much simpler, but for the life of me I can find anything wrong with this drugstore blend. If Barbary Coast is the Muesli of pipe tobaccos, Granger is a nice warm bowl of Quaker Oats on an empty stomach.

As others have pointed out, this tobacco burns very nicely, is a joy to fill a pipe with, and leaves no unsettling aftertaste nor does this particular "pointer" bite.

On taste and smoking characteristics alone, I was going to give this blend 3 stars - recomended, but after further consideration of the value for the cost, and even more the nostalgia involved, I believe every pipe smoker who hasn't tried this yet should give it a shot. Four stars - highly recomended.

Railroader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Railroader (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried, 25 or so years ago....in a cob from a country store. I still keep a cob just for Granger. I also use it as a base for some home blends.

It's been around for at least three generations, and with good reason, it's just good Burley.

Go visit Grandpa's favorite sometime. You'll enjoy it, as long as you don't over expect.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a Granger fan. Nice easy to smoke burley that can occasionaly get harsh on the bottom. Along the same lines as PA, Half & Half,etc. I do like this one better from the can than the pouch. As far as the "plastic" or "metallic" taste I myself have never expierienced either..just a nice simple burley. Give it a shot its cheap enough and if ya don't like it no big loss.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

If you get a good pouch or tin of this, its a good simple no frills burley. If you get a bad pouch or tin it's horrid with a plastic taste. Akin to SopwithCamels review I have also noticed that Pinkerton has a quality control problem as their products are just to inconsistant to be enjoyed by this piper.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

There is not too much to add as far as specs on this tobacco. Straight up burley with a kick. I wasn't particularly bothered by the "industrial" taste of the ending though was disappointed that the tobacco became kind of flat. I was more enamored with the rough and tumble early portion of the bowl. I'd smoke it again, I may keep a tiny bit on hand - though I have to say there are likely far higher quality, and equally nostalgic, burley blends on hand. As someone else said, you could do better - but could do far worse as well.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This dog hunts for me because it doesn't try too hard . It is 100 percent cool smoking fermented burley with a trace of added flavoring, no goo, a little sweetness and a big kick.

The aging process combined with the topping makes it taste slightly like prunes. I'd like it more if there weren't a medicinal/metallic aftertaste. However it is very cool, biteless and full bodied. This would be my choice of drugstore tobaccos...except I've never seen it in a drugstore. I bought it at a cigar shop in Alabama for $1.69 a pouch and $13.89 for a 14 ounce tin. Very manly and straightforward. If it were aftershave, it would be Aqua-Velva.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Unlike some other reviewers, I consider this to be a great driving tobacco. I like to take Granger with me on long trips. I never noticed the nicotine jolt reported by others, but then I didn't get it from Nightcap (Dunhill) either.

Granger packs very easily, I can pack a pipe while I am driving - without becoming a hazard to others!

It lights easily, and minimal re-lights are needed. Again, good for driving and smoking.

The taste is honest and true. I believe that the curing process gives it the flavor, I don't think there is any topping present. Very simple, one-dimensional. And sometimes that can be a good thing, yes?

Granger is inexpensive, packs and smokes well. Doesn't bite, doesn't goop up your pipe. Very unassuming tobacco. Doesn't pollute your pipe with a taste that you can't get rid of. What more could you ask for?

May very well be the best of the 'drugstore' lot.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Good old Dog,that Granger. This is Burley, Burley and nothing but Burley. It does have a light casing that I believe is sprayed on the tobacco in a fine mist before it is packaged. The casing is mostly sugar water,(airplane de-icer). This is an "old timey" brand that still delivers good tobacco flavour and a great nicotene punch. Go back in time with this time traveler.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the only OTC tobaccos that actually ages better than normal. When I first opened the can a couple of years ago, the aroma was godawful. After doing some research on it, the "Wellman" process that Granger uses is a type of fermenting technique (not a casing- and similar to how perique is fermented) that gives it that distinct aroma. I transferred the baccy to a tupperware container and have smoked it pretty regularly the last few weeks again. The sour aroma is now gone and in it's place is a pretty natural tobacco aroma. It loads easily, burns great (never seen a whiter ash in an OTC blend) and has a wonderful room note that brings you back 50 years. Recommended for those who enjoy Burley.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Strong

I remember smoking this several years ago and seemed to have liked it at the time. My most recent purchase, however, was so bad that I suspect I may have purchased a defective sample.

The tobacco was so moist that it was clumped together almost in plug form in the pouch. I could not manage to keep the tobacco lit and the taste was of mould, dampness, and dirt. I tried airing out the sample for several hours and, whilst being easier to maintain in the bowl, the flavour and aroma were even more offensive than they were originally.

Perhaps I should visit another purveyor and purchase a second pouch just to be sure, but I shudder at the thought of going through such a horrible experience again.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

One of the strongest burley blends that I have ever experienced. I smoked this somewhat regularly when I was a teen.

Plain burley with a kick. ...That means good!

As said in above reviews, it bitters at the end.

Still available; If you can find it.

I'm not looking anymore.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)

This is meant in the very best of ways, and in no way do I wish to exclude ladies from enjoying this burley...that out of the way...

Granger is a man's tobacco.

It's long heritage, the entirely un-modern design of it's packaging, for that matter, it's entirely un-modern taste; leave me longing for an era I never knew. It strikes me as being the very antithesis of the average new Mac Baren blend, both in the conception and execution. Not a knock on Mac Baren, just an observation.

It is a very well done, reasonably clean tasting, easy packing, smooth smoking, slighly sweet, slighly earthy, burly, burley. I very much enjoy blends from the European and British tobacco houses, but I would feel hard done by, indeed, if there wasn't always a tin of Granger's by my easy chair.

Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Unlike ole' Normaaan, I find the jolt of nicotine in Granger to be just a little above average. It is a delightful jolt at that. Veteran puffers should have no trouble driving and smoking this blend. Novice puffers just need to keep the window partially down or they'll wind up like Norm! The tobacco is burley with a light top flavoring that aids the room note, but not the flavor.

Granger is just plain burley tobacco, and should be appreciated as such. It is not a high quality burley, thus the bitter aftertaste as you work your way down the bowl.

If you are in a one-horse town and out of your favorite weed, you could do worse than Granger. Of course, you could do a lot better too!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Random smallish pieces, uniform medium brown

Aroma: Smells like just a plain burley, possibly a trace of top dressing. I can?t identify it, nor am I positive it?s even here.

Packing: Can be packed into any size bowl just by putting the pipe into the pouch and feeding with one finger. It is possible to pack a pipe in your car, with one hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road. However, see warning below

Lighting: Classic one-match light is the rule.

Initial flavor: Just Burley, nothing else. Nutty, and just a little bitter. Maybe even plainer than Prince Albert.

Mid-bowl: Nice cool dry smoke. You have to like Burley to enjoy this. There is a fairly good jolt of nicotine in it, so it MAY NOT be the best thing to smoke while driving.

Finish: A bit more harsh at the bottom, but not a problem.

Summary: An excellent choice in a cob. A good change of pace if you get tired of blends, or matured Virginias

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (63)

Reminds one of Half and Half in the taste department and the tin note is similar but Granger smells a bit more fermented, burned well and the price is good.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Pure tobacco flavor. Good nutty Burley with a toasted note. Somewhat uni-dimensional, but good nonetheless. Burns straight and clean. Great as a blending tobacco. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Well, I wanted to like this, as others have said, but it simply couldn't be done. I mean, I'm an American many generations back, and so it's natural that I would want to like a classic American pipe tobacco like this, but I just couldn't do it with this one. I like PA alright, and SWR is a little better than PA, and if I couldn't get my normal stuff I would smoke either one of those in a pinch, but I would rather pick up a pack of Winstons than smoke this. As a matter of fact, after trying to smoke Granger for 10 minutes, I pulled out a Winston and lit it up, and it's much better. If I want classic American tobacco, I guess I'll stick to my trusty Winstons, but otherwise, call me a snob all you want, but I'll stick to my Nightcap and my Gawith and generally other pipe tobaccos that I consider to be worth my money.

mbmc82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mbmc82 (7)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

I tried to like this blend but to no avail. There is a strong off flavor..,plastic like.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A straight burely, chopped into the size and shape of mulch, with a strange fruity topping, is an awful combination.

Slimstem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slimstem (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It?s a shame that these OTC old time brands aren?t easily found readily any longer.

If they were I could have wasted three to five bucks on a pouch of this stuff instead of wasting $32.00 including the shipping for a can of this disappointer. (Pun intended). I hoped against hope my taste receptors would be immune to the ?plastic? taste others have mentioned, they weren?t. I really wanted Granger to be a replacement to the un-understandable discontinuance of Edgeworth Ready ?Rubbed. The best modestly priced Burly ever produced. Maybe someone can explain this to me because I don?t get it. Why would Lane & Co. discontinue one of the few truly good tobaccos they ever put their name on? Oh yeah, and now that I look at my long empty can of ?Dunhill Night Cap?, a blend of iconic quality, it?s got that idiot ?Lane Limited? logo on it too. This Lane outfit must be a private company with suicidal tendencies. I?m really pissed about their decisions and nothing with their name on it will pass through the ?Slim Stem?.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

As much as I love Burley, my experience with Granger was less than a positive one. I've heard others mention that it possessed the taste and odor of plastic and I too experienced that same thing. My assumption is that the problem is in quality control and I'm not willing to spend my hard earned cash on a tobacco that may or may not be smokable. One bowl is all it took for me and the tin hit the trash.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Similar to Half and Half, but with less chemicals, some Burley taste and a bit less tongue bite. Still, there are many adjectives between "execrable" and "fine", and finding the right one for this tobacco won't be a task I'd recommend in any way.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Nowhere near the quality of Prince Albert. It also has a plastic/chemical taste to it that becomes apparent as soon as you light up. This shit is absolutely horrible.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Granger is a strange tobacco- I smoked a big tub of this, and some smokes tasted like burning plastic as noted in other reviews. Other smokes were quite pleasant, although not noteworthy. I worked my way through 1/3 of my second tub, then threw it away. Why? well, this tobacco always seemed to give me heartburn right out of the gate, and the wild inconsistancy of flavor was too much. The flavor is mild to me, I can't think of anything to compare it to, but I don't think it tastes like Burley. As this tobacco is very uniform in color and texture, I cannot imagine why some smokes are so plastic tasting and other smokes not. Cool old school tin art though, and I guess a lot of folks like this as it is still in production. Like many old baccy's, this is getting harder to find other than online.

Mikey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikey (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I wanted to like this tobacco. It is a burley blend that is finished with what is called the "wellman process" To me granger has a strange plastic like taste. I smoked half a tub of this over several weeks to give it a fair trial. Maybe it's just me but I found this to be not good when compared to other burleys. By the way it also made my voice go hoarse and made my eyes burn.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Granger was on the bottom of my list when I was trying various burley tobaccos. I detected a strange taste each time I smoked it and then read other peoples reviews here...yes,it does have a burning plastic after taste. Perhaps it was a bad pouch, I don't know.

Birddog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Birddog (6)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I tried this with high hopes -- after all, it has a bird dog as its mascot. While it's a burley, the pouch I had was not pleasant. This bird dog bites. I didn't finish it.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I will not try this again even though I hope I had a bad batch.

The inital light and first few puffs were a delight. Then the flavor turned. It was as if there was some plastic mixed in. It was that foul.

Never again.

Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very bad example of drugstore burley. PA is much better. Clippings from my backyard are better. Horrible flavor and aroma, doesn't get much worse than this.

Smoke in peace.