Granger Pipe Tobacco is a classic American burley based blend with a slight top flavor. This rough cut classic lights and burns easily, delivering a smooth, crisp, mild, medium bodied smoke and a pleasant, fragrant room note.

Notes: Formerly made by Pinkerton.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Taste

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

Over the past couple of months I began seriously searching for OTC blends that would really satisfy something that I've not been able to satisfy with tobacco shop bulk blends. I've been smoking a pipe since the late 60's and in all these years have never found a bulk tobacco I wanted to really stick with - something I could come home to, plug into my pipe without thinking and being satisfied with - something simple, pleasant, not requiring thinking or the temptation to taste this or that and having enough nicotine to relax me.

Since I can't find a store that stocks a good selection of pouches any longer (I'm getting the impression that people only smoke Captain Black anymore) I ordered tubs of three classic American blends to try. Tubs of tobacco are a bit of a commitment and I read hundreds of reviews on this site to narrow my search down to those that sounded like what I would like. These reviews have proved immensely helpful because I like all three so far.

This review is about what I think is my favorite of the three, Granger. The other two are Walnut and Sugar Barrel. I have, in the past, smoked adequate amounts of two standards of the OTC genre, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Both were quite good but neither was quite what I was looking for. Oh yes, I forgot to mention SWR. I buy that from time to time but have yet to finish a whole pouch. I keep forgetting I really don't like it - too flavored I think.

Granger is a straight burley that isn't overly cased or flavored. In fact, there is very little. The tobacco isn't overly PG'd either. I really hate sticking my hand into tobacco and having it stick to my fingers. I like the cut of the tobacco as well. It is large and burns slower than ribbon cuts. The flavor was burley, burley and of course, burley - burley up front, burley in the middle and burley in the rear. I forgot to mention that I like burley. And, it feels full in the mouth. I think of it as kind of round. I love the fullness of it. PA is "thin" by comparison. I have to say that it does bite a bit but I'm willing to tolerate the bite for this one. I did spread this out on a thin tray to give it a weeks drying time and it reduced the bite. I grew up in VA where Edgeworth Slice was as common as PA and I found it a bit bitter or something and I could never quite get into it. I just smoked enough to get the little hinged tins I liked so much that were very handy to keep a little tobacco stash in the glove compartment. Anyway, I like this much better than what I remember of Edgeworth and that is the closest comparison I can think of. There is some similarity to Half & Half but Granger burns slower and has a bigger flavor uninterrupted by Virginia and is less cased.

As far as the room note goes, I don't really know. I can't sense the room note of something I'm smoking and since you can't smoke around other humans any longer it really doesn't matter what it smells like anyway does it?

This certainly isn't the "end all" in tobacco but it very much satisfies what I am looking for in an all day smoke and I very much recommend it to other burley lovers as a must try.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (7)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Much is made of Carter Hall and Prince Albert. True, these are "no nonsense" tobaccos suitable for smoking from first thing in the morning until bedtime. True, they are tried and proven. True they burn well almost no matter what, go well in a cob, and taste "like tobacco."

But for those of us who prefer more robust tobaccos, Granger does EVERYTHING that PA or CH does and does it better. It's not strong by my standards - medium bodied, perhaps even mild to medium. It has a fairly full taste, though, being more medium to full. Burley is often praised for it's "nutty" flavor, but Granger is the nuttiest of all. It is semi sweet. It smokes easily. It is cheap. It has real tobacco flavor and a depth and richness that most "drug store" blends can't match. I wouldn't say this is my favorite tobacco, but if I had nothing other than this, I'd still be a smoker - and a reasonably contented one at that.

I recommend this tobacco. If you don't like old school American burley blends, it may not be for you. If you only like mild blends, it may not be for you. But I like it a lot, and I think you should try this classic blend. For my money, the only American "OTC" still produced that can approach this one is Sir Walter Raleigh, which is sweeter and semi-aromatic, but could stand up to Granger in terms of body and depth.

Get a pouch and give it a try. You might discover you like it a lot. I didn't expect too much from it, but I ended up really liking it.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The one dimensional, no-nonsense burley is lightly sweet and woody, toasty, earthy, and fairly nutty. I would not recommend smoking it dry; moisten it lightly to help avoid tongue bite, which you'll could experience if you puff it too fast. Has very little PG, which is a plus. Burns well with few relights, makes lots of smoke, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. It's low on nicotine. A very mild, all day mellow smoke that performs the basics of what pipe smoking is about, but does no more than that. Lacks body, and the excitement and depth of flavor that several other burley OTCs will provide.

Update: 9-10-2016. STG has improved the blend. Many of the aspects of the Pinkerton version I reviewed in the previous paragraph still hold, though this production seems to have a little more depth of taste, is slightly less nuttier, and the molasses is a little more obvious. I detect an undercurrent of anise, which I had not noticed in the earlier version, which helps smooth out this product. There's little chance of bite present, though you’re chancing a mild hint of tongue warmth if you puff like a winded Superman. I rated the strength of the original as very mild, and would rate this as mild. The taste level of the original was rated by me as mild, and this is a half step more than that. Two and a half stars, though a three star rating might not be unwarranted, unless you compare it to OTCs like Sir Walter Raleigh, which has slightly more flavor and a shade more complexity.

My first experience with Granger was over 35 years ago. I was drawn to that old-fashioned pipey aroma coming from a colleague's briar. After reading all of the reviews for Granger I was prompted to revisit it once again. I would call the present variety a cut plug as I seem to remember a cube cut years ago. Also, I remember it being lighter in color. My current canister contains a slightly darker brown mix.

The contents in my tin was so soft to the touch - it was like the comfort felt when you lay your head on a new, soft pillow. Very sensuous! It didn't feel moist, just soft. The tin aroma reminded me of slightly fermented apples. One of my kids said it smelled like Church wine. Another said prunes. No problem with packing and the initial lighting posed not much of a problem. It did need frequent relights and I attributed this to its apparent state of freshness. After drying it out with the lid off the canister for a few days, this seemed to have improved the burn. The flavoring was interesting. I definitely could taste the Burley. It was topped with something relatively sweet - a cross between apples and raisins for me. I honestly don't remember this flavor after so many years of having not smoked Granger. Right out of the tin it smoked quite hot and the flavoring was somewhat harsh. The typical "drying it out before smoking" did seem to help some with the heat factor but not much with the harshness, nor have I found Granger all that forgiving if you're a fast puffer. No matter how much drying time you give it, it must be smoked very slowly to avoid the heat, and you can not pack it too tightly. Give it some breathing room and use gentle tamping. I can't say that Granger bites, but it always seems to scorch the roof of my mouth, even with the slowest puffing cadence I can give it without needing to re-light the bowl. I suspect this is from whatever chemicals are used as a preservative, as it feels like a chemical burn on my palate and not a burn generated from heat alone. I like the taste and the room note it emits, but the way it can scorch my palate certainly makes for a not too pleasant smoking experience.

The Burley, while perhaps not from the best leaf grade, does provide sufficient Burley flavor throughout smoke, although at times harsh. I think some of the "plastic" taste others have experienced is most likely due to the humectant used in the processing. Also, when fresh, it tastes overly fermented and harsh. Just let it sit for a few days in the can with the lid off. I also have found it best smoked with a filter (Medico, Dr. Grabow), helping to reduce the harshness/heat factor for a somewhat more tolerable smoke. On the positive side, no gurgles or mess left in my pipe to speak of. It says "rough cut" on the can and does burn slowly. I would love this in a broken flake form or cube cut as I am sure it would smoke cooler right out of the can.

The only other codger Burleys I can compare Granger with would be Prince Albert, Half and Half, ERR, and SWR regular. I did not care for the Prince in taste or room note - too cigarette-like, and I really didn't care for that clove-like taste of Half and Half. SWR easily was in the same camp as both Granger and ERR.

If it wasn't for the palate scorching, Granger would be an everyday smoke for me since I am partial to Burley and enjoy both its tin/room note, and mildly sweet flavor. In spite of the difficulties I have had with Granger, I like it enough to persevere in my quest to eliminate the palate scorching as I am sure it is my mouth's reaction to the chemicals used in its processing and not the tobacco itself. I smoke many other Burley blends and have never experienced any palate discomfort whatsoever. For what Granger is beneath all the chemical fixings, it rates 4 stars. Because of how I have to coax it along, my personal rating is 3 stars. With well over a year of drying and daily churning the tobacco in the tin with the lid off, the harshness and chemical factor did reduce but not disappear for me. What a shame as it is a tasty tobacco with a lovely, old-timey room note.

A bit of history for all of you tobacco buffs. Granger was originally produced by the Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co. A Mr. J.N. Wellman was credited with making a pipe tobacco that was "very popular" utilizing what was referred to as the "Wellman Method". This was around 1870. After he died, it was forgotten about until many years later having been acquired by Ligget & Myers, the dates I discovered point to anywhere from the late 1870s to the late 1890s. It was this "method" that was utilized in developing the tobacco known as Granger ("A pointer on fine tobacco."). My search thus far has failed to turn up what the "Wellman Method" actually is. In 1897 the Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co was acquired by the American Tobacco Co. I can not ascertain whether Granger as we know it was originally produced by the original L&M Co or by the American Tobacco Co using the name Ligget & Myers. I assume the later since the old newspaper adds that I discovered that mention much of the above come from newspapers from the early 1930s and advertise Granger as something new and unique. L&M was no longer in existence at that time, but ATC was. Perhaps they still utilized the L&M name for some sort of brand recognition. This is what leads me to believe L&M first produced a smoking tobacco that ultimately became Granger under ATC. I can not find out when the Pinkerton Tobacco Co, who now produces Granger, took over the manufacturing.

This is my favorite OTC, and it was my grandfather's daily smoke. This is a good basic burley that is hard to find locally. I find the pouches and cans have a different taste. The pouch note is a raisin or prune maybe.

It is nutty, earthy, mellow and slightly sweet. I have gone through periods where I have smoked little else, and there is a satisfying quality to this tobacco.

I would like to see a better distribution for Granger, and I would smoke it more often if I could get it easily.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased Granger to get a cube cut Prince Albert but instead I got a chunkier Prince without the Cocoa topping. This is really a fine Burley without any surprises and I am really smitten with it. $22 for a 12 ounce tin, no chemical vanilla or gooperific toppings, cool smoking, chunky light burley, what's not to like? Right from the get go Granger burns with one light to the bottom of the bowl, no bite and that wonderful nut like taste and aroma. My tin that I just got from Pipes and Cigars says Scandinavian tobacco group and does not mention the "Wellmann Process" so I know this is the new stuff being manufactured by Lane and not Pinkerton so my review is of the new batch. I love the extra kick it has over the Prince and the lack of topping makes it a great blender, I mixed it 50/50 with Virginia Woods and my version of Half & Half greatly surpasses the current version of that blend. Ever since Carole at Pipeworks & WIlke was not able to obtain that wonderful Burley to create "Nut Brown Burley" I have been on a quest to find a replacement, while Uhle's #44 is very close, Granger is half the price and being a Lane Burley, is very high quality. It always amazes me how they produce the goopiest aromatics but also have access to very very good Burley!! 4 stars for price and being at the top of the OTC / Codger Burley choices. Oh and there is no PG anymore as it dries very quickly so if you didn't like it before, try the new Lane version, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Pipe Used: Cobs

Similar Blends: Brown & Williamson - Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert - Prince Albert.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This stuff tastes like straight burley with no casing or topping at all. It is monochromatic from first light down to the last dregs. I don't get any nuttiness as others have tasted but I do get a natural, slightly sour flavor. There is no bite or goop or aftertaste. It makes a nice change of pace from aros and English blends but I'm not likely to ever get more of it. 2 stars.

Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (10)

I have been smoking the STG version of Granger for a few months now and find it a excellent straight burley smoke. I go through at least one tub about every two and half weeks. There is little to no PG in it, and is my favorite of all the OTC brands.Its just a good simple burley with a very slight casing, I can smoke it all day with out any tongue bite or tiredness of smoking it. It is a all day smoke for me. Its earthy , smokey , nutty with a slight spice and sweetness.I prefer to let it dry some overnight for a better smoke. If you like straight, slighty flavored burley then i recommend trying it.

The price is very reasonable but hard to find other than mail order .

Its a good base burley if you are into blending as well.

I recently got a few ounces of the old Pinkerton Granger and i find the STG version a much better smoke. The STG is a smoother, less harsh blend and has better quality control. I have gone through well over 10 tubs by now and have found the consistency excellent. If you tried the old Pinkerton version and found it not to your liking then try the new STG version and see what you think. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

I find i like to smoke Granger mostly in my old pre war Linkman, Yello-Boles, Kaywoodie briar billiiards and pokers. Its also great in a cob, i just don't smoke cobs as much as my briars.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: straight from tub

Purchased From: WV Smokeshop

I received this as a test, in an unmarked baggie, with the request to smoke it down just to the last bowlful before being told what it was. A nice blind tobacco test! I opened the baggie and sniffed, and was rewarded with an aroma that was very "old-timey", reminding me of some of the stuff my dad smoked. A perusal of the tobacco itself made it obvious to me that this was some OTC drugstore burley. Oh, joy (he said sarcastically).

Firing up a bowlful, I smoked and contemplated. Not bad! Dry in the pipe, mild and cool but with a nice rich flavor. It was burley all right and it had some kind of topping but it wasn't intrusive. It just lent a bit of spice and sweetness to the leaf. The more I smoked of this, the better I liked it. Sure, it was a drugstore burley and while I can tolerate them, they certainly aren't in my everyday rotation. This one won't be, either but it'll be one I go to on occasion. At any rate, I figured it would be something like Sugar Barrel or Revelation or one of the more "obscure" OTC blends. Nope, it turned out to be good old Granger Rough Cut, with an hours worth of drying and then mason jar'd. Really a nice, no-nonsense smoke, and as another poster wrote, it seems to be the "best of the codger burleys". At least for me. Smoking the last bowl and knowing it was Granger did not change the taste at all (I'm big into the psychology of biases!)

Dry this stuff out, folks! I'm going to pick up a tub of this and do some experimenting. I don't know that I'd call this a high grade tobacco but who cares? It tastes pretty dang good!

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (11)

Here's the thing: 50 years ago my father smoked Granger regularly. Sometimes he mixed it with something else, but I do not know what. (I have fond memories of him shaking a brown paper bag to blend his tobaccos.) Finally, I tried it today for the first time, and I love it. This is just what I want: pure tobacco (burley) flavor, without a nicotine hit. I'm not good at spotting nuts, fruits, or chocolate, but that's fine because I want tobacco. This is a smoke I can enjoy while working, thinking, or anything else. Why did I wait so long?

Day 2: I'm picking up a chocolate note both in the tin and the smoke. Very good.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: Minutes after I got it

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Nothing I've tried..

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

GRANGER is an old friend that I keep on hand for changes in my smoking rotation. I like comfort tobacco and I always have a lot on hand. It has a great smell. Packs very easy and the cut has gotten much finer over the years. This will burn very slow and should not need a relight. I like to let it sit out for about 20 minutes before I pack it and I always hand roll it into the bowl. I use a Magnum pipe that gives me almost 2 hours of smoke time. I used to love this when I had to ride the train in to work in the morning. Back before we were to PC about smoking. If you puff this fast it will give a major bite. Biggest mistake you can make here is to not let the flavor develop. Smoke fast and you will get nothing but bite. At a $1.20 an ounce it can stay in my pipe bowl a while longer.

Pipe Used: Dutch

Age When Smoked: pouch put in jars

Purchased From: Army base exchange

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Prince Albert.

PDubbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PDubbs (1)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

One of the first tobaccos I've ever smoked (1979) I was just 14. It has always been a staple bacco that my father always smoked. Along with HH,PA sometimes Raliegh. And, a few Dunhill blends. Now made by Scandinavian tobac co. To me it doesent taste as sweet as days of yore. Which is fine by me. I'm really an English blend smoker. But, when I'm in the mood for something lighter I reach for this blend and the others I've mentioned. BTW this is my first review on this great site!

Pipe Used: Jelling Brier

Age When Smoked: New can 2 months old

Purchased From: Local tobacco shop

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

Granger is a very pleasant burley (and so far as I can tell it is only burley) that is fun to smoke for those who enjoy burley, but there is nothing to get excited about.

The cut is small cubes, and it smokes cool. Originally it was a much larger cube, which in the heyday of OTC smoking mixtures differentiated it from brands such as Prince Albert which could be (and often were) smoked as RYO. If memory serves me correctly, when the cube size was diminished the pouch announced "new improved cut" for several decades.

Some reviewers grouse concerning a play doh taste. Whatever the "old time Wellman's process" supposedly used on Granger happens to be, this tobacco is slightly fermented, and has a faint sourish whang as an undertone to the flavor. This is the way that it is supposed to taste, but that doesn't mean that you are supposed to like it. The taste is not overly strong; I have rated it mild to medium.

The burley provides a goodly amount of nicotine, a boon for those who like the jolt and a bane for those who do not.

The room note is of a pleasant "old time pipey" variety.

At the time I write this review, the headnote says it is available in a 3 oz. pouch. Not exactly. It is not now, nor was it ever, in a 3 oz. pouch. So far as I can tell can tell, Granger is now available only in a 12 oz. canister. That is more of this tobacco than I want to buy at one time.

While the small pouch was available, I purchased Granger at some frequency as a utility smoke.

Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Unlike ole' Normaaan, I find the jolt of nicotine in Granger to be just a little above average. It is a delightful jolt at that. Veteran puffers should have no trouble driving and smoking this blend. Novice puffers just need to keep the window partially down or they'll wind up like Norm! The tobacco is burley with a light top flavoring that aids the room note, but not the flavor.

Granger is just plain burley tobacco, and should be appreciated as such. It is not a high quality burley, thus the bitter aftertaste as you work your way down the bowl.

If you are in a one-horse town and out of your favorite weed, you could do worse than Granger. Of course, you could do a lot better too!

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Another classic burley based tobacco blend along the lines of PA, SWR and CH. Granger though has more nicotine. Not a lot, but still more than the 3 others combined. If you like burley then you'll like Granger. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: SWR But without the sugar.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)

My Grandpop smoked this and this is why I took up pipe smoking. I remember smelling this out of his pipe when I was 4 and 5 years old. I liked it then and I like it now. He smoked this, half and Half, and another blend called Sensation which hasn't been available for over 40 years. Granger is just burley, period ! Let it air out a bit or carry it in a roll up pouch to let it dry a bit and it's a good, straightforward dry ,cool smoke ! Don't expect bells, whistles and an orgasm. Its just a good, honest smoke ! Aroma is pipes sweet, balmy, and taste is rich burley. Codgers smoke best in pipes like Kaywoodie, Yello Bole, and Cobs. I smoke this in a Briar Yello Bole most of the time.

Pipe Used: cobs, Yello Boles, no name briars

Similar Blends: Velvet, half and Half somewhat..

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

Another old burley blend from years ago. Damn fine burley. A bit earthy, a little chocolaty, and a tiny bit spicy... All hallmarks of a quality burley. I tried this before back when Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was discontinued (God only knows why) and didn't like it at all (when produced by Lane). But, I noticed that Granger is now being produced by Scandinavian Group and it taste much better without that casing that Lane Co. was using a few years back. lately I've been smoking a lot of burley (mainly Carter Hall) and thought I'd try it again... Very happy I did. The only issue I have with it, is that, you'll have to let this dry out quite a while. However, I usually use the air-pocket method. I use this packing method with shag and ribbon cuts, but it also does pretty well with Granger's rough cut due to it's moisture content. Packing this way really helps to dry the tobacco as I smoke without leaving such a damp bottom in my pipe... Enjoy.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)

I got a tub of Granger. I've read the reviews and was troubled about the 'plastic' taste everybody talked about. I opened it up and proceeded to pack my cob. I lit it up . . . It wasn't bad. As one reviewer said here, it did taste 'raisin' like. The plastic taste came and went. It was also hard to keep lit. I puffed like a maniac and burned hell out of my tongue. I will see how it goes as it ages.

UPDATE 5/15: It had been a while since finishing a 14 oz tub of Granger. P&C had 12 oz tubs on sale for 20% off, so I went for it. I think the Lane version of Granger is way better than the Pinkerton one. There is no plastic taste whatsoever. No tongue bite. The Pinkerton version was closer to a cross cut. The tobacco was dark and very moist. The Lane version is also dark burley but more of a rough cut. The humidity level was perfect when I opened the tin. The intense raisin smell was gone. It had more of a real tobacco smell. When I lit it up in a Kaywoodie briar, I was blown away by how different it was from the last time I smoked it. Nice nutty burley. It only took a couple of relights. It got better as the bowl progressed and burned down to a fine ash. The first time around I wanted to like Granger because it was an old classic. Now I really like it. I've been smoking it every night since I got the tin. It's one I'm going to keep around from now on. It's also great in a cob.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Campus, Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin.

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Velvet.

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

You're probably wondering why people would enjoy Granger when the famous Prince Albert has won the hearts of so many pipe smokers(myself included)and there's two easy answers for that...1.you don't normally find Granger at every grocery store2.Prince Albert and Granger are very different from each other despite being a straight burley.The cut of tobacco in Granger i'm not really a critic on,straight burley is a scoop and serve tobacco.The smell of Granger in the can and pouch has a creamy molasses yet slightly raisin scent to it.The taste of Granger is no surprise it's straight burley-just a smooth and nutty taste that gets bolder towards the bottom but what makes Granger different is it has a dark and rich character to it,making it a tasty smoke which I believe is thanks to it's fermentation process.Granger does leave your pipe dry,I was expecting the rich taste to leave alot of residue but surprisingly my pipe was pretty clean afterwards.Would I recommend Granger?definitely.I'm an all-day every day PA smoker,but Granger I consider to be an indulgence since it's not exactly on every street corner.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)

This was one of my grandfather's favorites and for that reason alone, one of mine. In his honor, I smoke one bowl a day in in a no-name double bent briar he carried in the trenches near the Argonne Forest during WW I and only this burley and his other all day blend, Half and Half, can ever touch this sacred relic. That said, and with an attempt at sidelining my obvious bias, I will provide my insight. I can't comment on the quality nor consistency of this blend out of the pouch as I only buy the 14 ounce tub - the tobacco therein I immediately transfer to the tin my grandfather left at our house during his last visit in 1969. On opening, the tin note is unmistakably slightly overbaked chocolate cake with a faint fermented dark fruit bouquet. Neither transfer to the taste. The appearance is a consistent, medium- to-dark brown rough cut although not quite a shag. Regarding the taste, this is a classic burley-flavored burley cased in burley with a heavy burley topping. Burley, burley, burley, all day burley. That's it. No more, no less. No frills. I never experience bite, although my cadence with this one is always slow and contemplative. Good, dry ash with minimal to no dottle can be counted on at my slow cadence. Packs well and stays lit with minimal tamping and relights required. Aftertaste is pure tobacco. According to my wife, the room note compared to my usual blends and aromatics, is nothing to write home about, although I rather like it. A classic that will appeal to any burley aficionado. Recommended

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I have been on an OTC binge as of late. This blend was next on the "hit list." Overall, not a bad blend in the genre. It fills and lights rather easily and stays lit throughout the bowl. It does seem to burn down to a nice ash with some dottle in it. It produces a decent amount of smoke with a nice amount of Vitamin N to keep you going and the price is right. I would definitely recommend this blend if you are just getting started.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My last stop on the OTC drugstore burley safari. Wished I'd found this one year ago. For some reason this one just plain does it for me. From the tin its a nice, mellow rough cut burley and not much else. I've learned that overpacking results in a less than optimum smoke so I gravity fill one of my larger inexpensive pipes (often a cob), light up and enjoy a smooth, cool and almost sweet tasting tobak. Amazingly consistant throughout the smoke, few relights needed, no goop at the end. This is simplicity itself. I find myself smoking it exclusively (unusual for my habits) whilst the other more ex$pensive blends languish in the larder. I would think any burley smoker would want to try this one. Just remember: this kind of blend was designed for the old timers who had simple, cheap pipes that they just dipped into the tobak and lit up. A great older blend.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a lightly cased burley that is terrific by itself or perfect as a base for mixing a blend. I've used this for years while adding some perique, latakia and turkish for a great all day smoke. You can't beat the price for a quality burley tobacco and it's always consistent.

Now this is burley! Rich, a little sweet, smells good, burns well. If you like burley what else can you want for an OTC blend that has flavor from the beginning to end. I like this and will keep some in my rotation. Much better than a lot of expensive blend that claim to be the ultimate burley. Great as a mixer or right from the pouch. Much darker and in a rough cut that I like.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

ME tp Bo Bo You cant go wrong. What can I say other then "less is more". A simple burley with pleasant aroma. Granger can't be beat for price value & most of all taste. This simple pleasing tobacco has plenty of mellow flavor. The flavor will come and go throughout the smoke,not overwhelming flavor. About 1/2 through the bowl you will realize that this is some good stuff. Soft Aroma thanks to the Wellman Process "whatever that is?" But it works well with Burley tobacco.

This is another true American Classic pipe tobacco. An all day smoke that you will find yourself turning to as an old stand by. Great for breaking in new pipes. Burns even and clean.

I feel that we have all gotten to far away from these basic blends. We also do not give enough credit to our American blends that were staples for so many years. The Micro blends are over blended and often too strong for everyday. They are all copying each other and These blends are really just English Blends for the most part. Granger is also perfect all day good Amreican Blend. Get a tin Now! Redd

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, this is an old blend and its name, no doubt, pays tribute to America?s agricultural community as the word ?granger? is a (rarely used) synonym for ?farmer? (and/or a member of The Grange). Some folks call Granger an ?Over The Counter? blend and others call it a ?Drug Store? blend. Regardless of its heritage and the name, I call it a GREAT SMOKE!

Some non-burley lovers and previous reviewers who found this tobacco lacking may think I am suffering from ?delusions of Granger? in having rated this blend with four stars. I have no delusions about this blend! I like a good, honest burley and Granger fills the bill. This is a solid, simple, old fashioned, ?cracker barrel? straight burley with an unidentifiable light, topping that I found totally satisfying. I experienced no bite, just a cool, flavorful smoke with a modest hay like sweetness and toasty nuttiness from beginning to end that was augmented with a nice nic kick. A few previous reviewers have made mention of a plastic taste. I have only five words in response, "I did not taste plastic."

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.8 out of 10.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

My trek into the world of drugstore burleys has ended with Granger. I seek no further!!! As a 31 year old pipe smoker I have no sense of nostalgia like many of the other reviewers of this blend. It's simply 14 oz of heaven for $14.95!!! No other way to describe. It packs well, lights well, burns well, tastes great, and smells nice. Pipe was bone dry. Any topping was barely discernable. Nothing complex here. Just good tobacco flavor at a great price.

BlueTomorrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlueTomorrow (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Granger is about as basic as it gets for a burley-based OTC blend. It packs well and burns all the way down in my cob on a single light (charring, then packing down while it's lit). The pouch note is surprisingly sweet and fruity; it reminds me somewhat of dried apples. It is pretty moist out of the tin and can burn a little wet if you don't give it some drying time before smoking. I didn't get a huge nic hit (I don't smoke for nicotine) but I do get a little bit of a buzz after smoking this.

Granger has a deep, nutty, earthy flavor with no detectable added flavoring to my palate. I've seen the flavor of this tobacco likened to Grape Nuts breakfast cereal and I definitely see the connection. The smoke it produces is thick and voluminous; it provides a very satisfying puff to be sure. I'm not the biggest fan of straight burley but this tobacco checks all the boxes I would expect from a burley OTC. It's no wonder that Granger is nearly 100 years old and still on the market today.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: Prince Albert.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Gifted by a good friend. Thanks D.

An uncomplicated and tasty Burley smoke. Nutty and earthy with a very mild spice. Has a nice sweetness which, I think, is in the casing. Very mild in body which is my only complaint. Not gonna hold that against it though. There's a clear market for that. If you're looking for a mild Burley smoke you can't go wrong here.

Very mild in body. Taste is mild to medium. Flavoring is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Purchased From: gifted

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I finally got around to trying granger and I am glad I did! I love the classic American burley blends but this one just never made it into my pipe until now. It is a mild burley with a hint of sweetness on it. Not as nutty as prince Albert, the sweetness is stronger though I can't tell if it is just the sweetness of the tobacco or if it is an added flavor. This one will earn a permanent spot on my tobacco shelf with its own dedicated corn cob pipe

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum legend

Age When Smoked: new from tub

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Carter hall.

Gripsholm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gripsholm (24)

Granger is a good straight forward cross cut Burley tobacco. No frills or gimmicks, no top notes or flavorings. It’s not sticky or overly moist so it would seem that the PG level is probably pretty low. It’s one of my go to favorites. It’s smooth, mellow, and very enjoyable with a very pleasant room note. It has a nice nutty flavor that reminds me of English walnuts. If you’re reluctant to purchase a full 12oz tin then try West Virginia SmokeShop, wvsmokeshop.com, they sell it in bulk by the ounce for anybody who wants to try it.

Pipe Used: Caked Briar

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I finally tried Granger, from the big, blue tin. Based on other reviews, I suppose I must concede that I got lucky and got a good batch. It burns well and consistent, and the flavor is decent. I understand the comparisons to other OTC blends. Here's my ranking: most similar to SWR but less sweet, similar to CH in terms of mildness, but it has a bit more flavor, better than PA because PA tands to bite me more. How people can compare this to H&H is beyond me. At least Granger has an overly mild flavor while H&H is absolutely repugnant. This could definitely be an all-day smoke, even if it is a bit monochromatic. Recommended.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)

Wow, this was great! Its a good old-fashioned blend with just enough sweetness to give that burley "a little extra!" The room note will take you back as a kid smelling what the real everyday tobacco smelled like during a simpler time. Thats about all I can say, its really good, therefore I can do no more for it other than give it its well deserved rating. By the way, I got absolutely NO "plastic smell" or anything of the sort.

==UPDATE== This tobacco has grown on me! The taste and smell are captivating to say the least. I absolutely love this stuff!

Pipe Used: Chacom

Similar Blends: Price Albert, Carter Hall.....any of the basic burleys..

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is almost a clone of Half & Half, with the exception of the absence of a smattering of Virginia. I also have the exact same problem with this blend as I do with H&H--I can't smoke it. The topping/casing gags me.

Sorry. I cannot recommend this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: fresh out of tin

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: Half & Half.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)

An OTC burley with a mild anise like casing. A more calm and even headed version of half and half. I really wanted to like it, pouch note was great, burned well, room note the usual for a burley. Unfortunately I have some sort of sensitivity to PG casings and left that ashtray nasty aftertaste taste I always get from that type of product.

Pipe Used: Legend Corncob

Age When Smoked: New Bulk

Similar Blends: Half & Half.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)

Reminds one of Half and Half in the taste department and the tin note is similar but Granger smells a bit more fermented, burned well and the price is good.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Saw this at my local country pantry, second OTC brand and second burley Solani ABF being the first.

Uniform in color and cut, I cannot readily label the scent, wbich is earthy and...woody?

The cut is so uniform in the pouch its almost sawdust-like, or at least shaving-like, as if it would be easy to roll.

Taste is monochromatic. I can label it burley, but where ABF showed depth and strength, Granger smokes like cool smokey air to me. This toby has gaught me burley's role in adding strength as well as coolness to blends, and even chugging through a cob it never got hot enough to bite.

Straight burleys, and virginias for that matter just dont float my boat -at least at this point in time.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Local Country Market

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Pure tobacco flavor. Good nutty Burley with a toasted note. Somewhat uni-dimensional, but good nonetheless. Burns straight and clean. Great as a blending tobacco. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (12)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wanted to experiment with an OTC tobacco and chose this one because of the bird dog, very scientific. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a straightforward American tobacco from yesteryear. It has little or no subtleties to it and is very consistent. I find this to be great when I want to smoke and not think, like when I am fishing or mowing the lawn. At those times that I don't want to contemplate the subtleties in a Balkan or fine aromatic, I will go for Granger. It also seems to go hand in hand with a cob.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)

My son gave me a can of Granger for Christmas, and I couldn't have been happier. My Great-Grandfather smoked this and nothing but this his whole life, and now I know why. You just didn't mess around with Grandpa. He was very straight forward, and that's what I have found out about his favorite tobacco. Granger is just a really good, nothing fancy, but very satisfying smoke. Smells good in the can, smells good in the room, and even though there's a dog on the can, it will never bite you! Grandpa was, at the very least, a no-nonsense kind of guy, and Granger is all that in a pipe tobacco. I still prefer CH as my everyday burley, but Granger is a nice alternative.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked it for the first time recently. A bit hot & harsh, but flavorful, nutty aroma & taste. A good OTC blend.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

An iconic, rich and substantive 20th Century U.S. American burley tobac standard. Glad to know it has survived the years and is still readily available at reasonable prices if you are willing to investigate. I try to forget this great national blend is owned by Swedish Match, a huge European tobacco and food product conglamorate.

Hadn't tried it for decades, but after recently purchasing a 12 Oz. tub glad I did. From the first whiff upon opening the lid, tamping down the emminently packable leaf, and settling in after the first needed char light, I felt relaxed,content. But don't hurry this leaf along as it can induce some bitter blow back taste and residue if puffed too aggressively. Also seems to taste better in smaller bowls. Love the name "Granger," the signature friendly dog image, and its nostalgic reminder of an agrarian and rural America pretty much lost as the world has turned so many times.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

As a traditional OTC blend, Granger is comparable to PA, Mild Kentucky Club, Carter Hall, etc. To me, Granger is the best of all the above.

This blend is very consistent from first light to bottom of the bowl. Not complex, even monochromatic. Smooth, no bite, copious clouds of smoke. Room note is not great, so I wouldn't describe this as a "social" tobacco. Pouch aroma and taste produce a distinct, sweetish raisin flavor. Almost the equivalent of smoking a Dr. Pepper soda pop.

I enjoy Granger most when I'm doing something else: mowing the lawn or working in the garage.

Recommended.

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Well, I wanted to like this, as others have said, but it simply couldn't be done. I mean, I'm an American many generations back, and so it's natural that I would want to like a classic American pipe tobacco like this, but I just couldn't do it with this one. I like PA alright, and SWR is a little better than PA, and if I couldn't get my normal stuff I would smoke either one of those in a pinch, but I would rather pick up a pack of Winstons than smoke this. As a matter of fact, after trying to smoke Granger for 10 minutes, I pulled out a Winston and lit it up, and it's much better. If I want classic American tobacco, I guess I'll stick to my trusty Winstons, but otherwise, call me a snob all you want, but I'll stick to my Nightcap and my Gawith and generally other pipe tobaccos that I consider to be worth my money.

Phototone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phototone (8)

This is another tobacco that has changed over the years. The cut is nowhere near the "rough cut" it used to be. Still a pleasant smoke. It seems like most of these old time drug-store blends are now made from the same "cut" of tobacco, regardless of blend.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

I really wanted to love this tobacco. That blue package with the pointer on the front makes me think of old times, of good old fashioned hard working people, and morals, and the American dream. Unfortunately all I found was a pretty bland burley tobacco.

I do not want to mislead people. This blend delivers exactly what it advertises. It is a no nonsense straight forward smooth and cool smoke. No tongue bite, not gurgle, no hot pipe, and next to no exciting flavors. It burns great, has a great price point, but does not interest me at all.

Here you have a typical nutty burley blend with a slight sweet topping. Pairs well with a nice cup of coffee but I prefer Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall to this one.

Some people find a really great thing in this blend, and good for them, I wish I could see it too. Just not for me. Not because of what it is, but because of what it is not. As always, try it. It is not expensive or hard to find, and if nothing else your hard earned money is going to keeping a long time brand running.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I came across this stuff again after a lot of years and since I have been slumming with old drug store blends again I decided to give it a try once more. Well it ain't bad. It burns cool and dry. It has a component of dark Kentucky like burly in it and has a dark, nutty taste that doesn't change and is not very sweet at all. I wish it also came as a flake. I'll bet if you added a little Red VA. and some Latikia and some Turkish leaf and pressed the hell out of the mixture for a day or so it would be excellent. It seems like a great mixer. I kind of like the stuff but don't think it will become a regular.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Granger... Another old timer. To best describe this stuff, the phrase … “Straight no B.S. tobacco taste” hits the nail on the head. For my mouth chemistry, I do not detect any evidence of a topping, just mild to almost strong tobacco flavor, depending on my puffing cadence. Not unlike many other blends where some basic smoking technique is required, Granger is no different, as careless puffing can produce some noticeable harshness, due your part and you may find why Granger has survived the test of time. With all of that out of the way, for my taste Granger is not my top choice for (OTC) burley blends, I prefer SWR, KCM or McB's GE when it comes to burleys, but I do enjoy Granger on occasions. Overall a slightly stronger basic no frills burley, that I'm sure many will find just what their looking for. Enjoy. My personal rating 3/5

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had my eye on this one for some time. It's the ones like Granger that aren't available locally that make me want to try them all the more. I ordered a 14 oz tin plus two pouches, in order to give it a fair shot without having to open my tin. I had a feeling ahead of time that I might like this one, after reading many of the other reviews. The packaging is very appealing in an old-timey way, and the tobacco when the pouch is opened is a nice chunky rough-cut, uniformly brown, with a beautiful smell of raisins, molasses, and maybe a touch of licorice. It lit easily and stayed lit, smoked beautifully in smaller bowls, but did have tendency to get a bit gurgly toward the bottom of the bowl-- nothing a pipe-cleaner couldn't handle. The flavor stayed consistent for me all the way to the bottom, but did get fairly strong overall-- stronger than any of the "over-the-counter" blends I've tried so far (haven't tried the infamous 5 Bros. yet). Overall, it reminds me a little of Half and Half from the same company, only all burley and without H&H's topping. I love it so far, and am glad I got in a good supply. You never know when (Heaven forbid) these great old blends might get discontinued on us. May it never happen.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

I have only been smoking Burley blends for a short time .Here in Australia they are non existant OTC at B&M Tobacconists. So its a matter of ordering them on the Internet from the US.Granger was the first one i tried. Its a lovely all day smoke that never gets hot and the taste is there all the way to the bottom of the bowl.CA and PH would have to be pretty good to equal or better this blend. I am looking forward to trying both of them in the near future.Granger gets = from me .I just wish it was available here in Australia.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Read Redd's review - right on! I did have a little trouble with a plastic taste the first 1/4 of the tin, but non now. A really good burley that I like all day.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Unfortunately, Granger suffers from a few fatal flaws. The first and formost, in my book, is inconsistency, especially in pouch form. Some pouches are just delightful, while others are goopy with PEG and musky with "Wellman process" flavoring. I believe that the "plastic aroma" referred to (which I have experienced with this blend occasionally) is secondary to the fermentation process and the PEG. If this tobacco is allowed to dry out for a couple of days, the off flavors dissapate a bit and the tobacco becomes more of a smokable burley. I find that if I have been smoking Carter Hall or Prince ,and then switch over to this, I get a bit of bite--not really tongue bit, but total mouth bite. After a few bowls this becomes nicer. As someone mentioned, there even appears to be inconsistency bowl to bowl...sometimes it just burns nicely and the taste is mild and there is no off flavor, other times it is a searing halfbowl voyage into plastic garbage bag land. MAYBE this has to do with personal mouth chemistry...

It's quite unfortunate, and I suspect that in earlier times this was a higher quality tobacco, indeed I remember really enjoying this tobacco years ago when I started delving into the american codger burleys. The recent pouches I have purchased have been disappointing and I'd rather not take a chance on a tub when I can spend less and have a tub of something like PA or CH on the shelf. And it's not that easy to find. In my area, we are lucky enough to have a multitude of smokeshops etc. I have only seen it for sale in pouch form in maybe half a dozen retail places around here ever whereas PA, Half and Half, Carter Hall etc. can be picked up at CVS, some local 7-11's and quite a few other places...

I'll smoke through the couple of pouches I have in my cellar here during the next few years, but likely will not pursue any more.

Try it for the experience, you might actually connect with this tobacco...

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Similar to Half and Half, but with less chemicals, some Burley taste and a bit less tongue bite. Still, there are many adjectives between "execrable" and "fine", and finding the right one for this tobacco won't be a task I'd recommend in any way.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)

As many have noted this tobacco is perhaps one of the "best in drug store burleys". As a pipe smoker for 45 years I first encountered this tobacco in 1960 and smoked it off and on for a few years. Further noted is that consistency in manufacturing/processing this tobacco is questionable at best.

Predominately, I smoke Virginia Plug and Flake tobaccos and some Balkan flakes. Rarely do I go outside this area anymore since I find I have the satisfaction necessary with what's available. But as I have explained to many novice and experienced pipe smokers... To find that "ONE" tobacco we all search for, don't get bogged-down in reaching the destination...enjoy the journey itself...for the journey is perhaps more fulfilling than reaching any destination".

With this in mind, I picked-up a few cans of Granger, and as usual with the "old brands" I have enjoyed re-experiencing this simple, straightforward burley. While I've never understood why the manufacturer needs to spray sugar water, or something close to it, in the final process, it none-the-less, provides for an interesting and pleasurable smoke. Since most of my plugs are Matured Virginia's denoting the various differences in tobaccos other than Virginia's is drastic.

I have smoked 10 bowls over the last few days in a Dunhill group 5 straight billiard and while I remember how reasonable it smoked in an old cob, I enjoyed a number of good smokes over the last few days. However, as enjoyable as those smokes were, I am consistently drawn back to my plugs and know why I have resided in that narrow spectrum of tobacco for so long.

Is it worth a try... sure, and as we all have noted the price is right...if you can find it without having to pay high shipping costs.

As a side note...the manufacturer of Granger and several other "drug store" type brands all share in this inconsistent manufacturing process. Its a shame to see that a company can't control their process any better than this...but, they're not the only ones who have problems in this area.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Granger is a strange tobacco- I smoked a big tub of this, and some smokes tasted like burning plastic as noted in other reviews. Other smokes were quite pleasant, although not noteworthy. I worked my way through 1/3 of my second tub, then threw it away. Why? well, this tobacco always seemed to give me heartburn right out of the gate, and the wild inconsistancy of flavor was too much. The flavor is mild to me, I can't think of anything to compare it to, but I don't think it tastes like Burley. As this tobacco is very uniform in color and texture, I cannot imagine why some smokes are so plastic tasting and other smokes not. Cool old school tin art though, and I guess a lot of folks like this as it is still in production. Like many old baccy's, this is getting harder to find other than online.

smokey stover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey stover (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My grandfather loved this tobacco and smoked it all day long. As a child in the late '30's I used to enjoy the aroma of this tobacco in the tin and the room note was plrasant. I started smoking the pipe at age six teen and of course Granger was my first choice. Over the years I tried just about every drug store brand on the market but always came back to Granger. Today at age 72 it's still my first choice , especially right after breakfast. Slight to moderate nicotine kick with a hint of flavoring-perhaps raisins? I believe it is cured by fermentation-"Wellmans Process" My wife doesn't like the room note but others insist it smells like "real tobacco" as opposed to the aromatics. Smoke slowly and it is mild with no bite. This is my favorite and while it is becoming had to find The Tobacco Center in Williamsport'Pa. always keeps a few tins on hand as it seems that there are others in the area who enjoyit as well. Moreover at $16.50 per can you can't beat the price. Highly recommended!

Similar Blends: Since this review I have re-visited Granger now that it is made by Scandinavian Group. It no where near comes close to the Pinkerton blend. Doesn't smell like it, doesn't look like it and doesn't taste like it. In a word Terrible ! A burned tongue in every pipe full. Will not buy it again..

When I first opened the pouch, smell was a bit like prunes! I let it sit for about a week. When I checked back it smelled like plain tobacco. It has a nice,nutty, toasty, flavor, and is a cool dry smoke. The room note is sweet and nostalgic. It does have bit of a nicotine kick, but nothing dramatic. A classic old fashioned American tobacco.

This is better in the can than in the pouch. Sometimes this stuff has a plastic taste to it that really puts me off. Other times it is very pleasant. I wish it were more consistent. Oh well. It's a moot point as Granger is no longer available where I live.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

This tobacco is among the best of the so- called drugstore brands. The initial aroma upon opening the can is that of prunes and other dried fruits. The taste is mild and does not vary through the bowl. It smokes well in all pipes as it burns fairly dry. This is a good all day blend.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a Granger fan. Nice easy to smoke burley that can occasionaly get harsh on the bottom. Along the same lines as PA, Half & Half,etc. I do like this one better from the can than the pouch. As far as the "plastic" or "metallic" taste I myself have never expierienced either..just a nice simple burley. Give it a shot its cheap enough and if ya don't like it no big loss.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This dog hunts for me because it doesn't try too hard . It is 100 percent cool smoking fermented burley with a trace of added flavoring, no goo, a little sweetness and a big kick.

The aging process combined with the topping makes it taste slightly like prunes. I'd like it more if there weren't a medicinal/metallic aftertaste. However it is very cool, biteless and full bodied. This would be my choice of drugstore tobaccos...except I've never seen it in a drugstore. I bought it at a cigar shop in Alabama for $1.69 a pouch and $13.89 for a 14 ounce tin. Very manly and straightforward. If it were aftershave, it would be Aqua-Velva.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I will not try this again even though I hope I had a bad batch.

The inital light and first few puffs were a delight. Then the flavor turned. It was as if there was some plastic mixed in. It was that foul.

Never again.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Random smallish pieces, uniform medium brown

Aroma: Smells like just a plain burley, possibly a trace of top dressing. I can?t identify it, nor am I positive it?s even here.

Packing: Can be packed into any size bowl just by putting the pipe into the pouch and feeding with one finger. It is possible to pack a pipe in your car, with one hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road. However, see warning below

Lighting: Classic one-match light is the rule.

Initial flavor: Just Burley, nothing else. Nutty, and just a little bitter. Maybe even plainer than Prince Albert.

Mid-bowl: Nice cool dry smoke. You have to like Burley to enjoy this. There is a fairly good jolt of nicotine in it, so it MAY NOT be the best thing to smoke while driving.

Finish: A bit more harsh at the bottom, but not a problem.

Summary: An excellent choice in a cob. A good change of pace if you get tired of blends, or matured Virginias

Tomasz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomasz (9)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of burley tobaccos. Previously I have enjoyed SWR and so I decided to go all in and get a tub of Granger. It definitely has more nicotine in it compared to SWR but just slightly so. The room note is mild and smells primarily of tobacco and not very aromatic. Taste wise I can pick up the nutty flavor of the burley but it is very slight. It smokes cools and generally only needs a relit here and there if you aren't paying attention. As other reviewers have noticed, there is somewhat of a plastic taste halfway down the bowl and sometimes get a little bitter as you make your way down. I have found this occurs most often when I smoke too fast. For me it is similar to SWR with a tad more nicotine. I am nearing the end of the tub that I bought. While I have enjoyed it, not sure I will buy more. Definitely worth a try!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Straight from Tub

Purchased From: CIgars International

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh.

JosephJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JosephJames (12)

I lit up from a new can straight away. I used a brand new Nording pipe, so no adulteration or ghosting.

I compared the tin note to the can of PA I had beside it. PA has a richer, nuttier aroma to it. The aroma of Granger is pleasant but more subtle.

Like many burley otc tobaccos, this one was a one light bowl. It smokes very well. Light, mild flavor. This could easily be an all day tobacco for me. I did not experience any gurgle, or tongue bite.

I like burley but I find Granger to be boring versus PA. This might be best used as a mixer.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Carter Hall..

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Granger has intrigued me for a while. When I first saw the package at an online tobacco vendor's website, I was overwhelmed with nostalgia, and a feeling that I've seen it before, and that the memory is somehow meaningful....but I can't for the life of me bring it up. Something from childhood, I'm sure; and probably nothing really significant. No one in my family smoked pipes....so maybe I just noticed the bright blue container standing out amidst all of the red containers of PA and SWR and H&H on the shelf at the grocery store; or maybe someone close used an old can to hold something significant (this was certainly commonplace - I vividly remember being a preschooler and digging crayons out of an old King Edward cigar box at church). Regardless - the blue can with the dog intrigues me, and I felt compelled to try it for that reason alone. This review is from a pouch marked Pinkerton Tobacco. Pinkerton is no more, and has been taken over by Lane. So it's possible that this pouch is several months old. I don't know if Lane changed the packaging or not, but I assume they would, as I know for a fact that they changed the packaging of 5 Brothers, another old Pinkerton blend.

Ribbon cut, medium brown. Very moist - sticky, in fact.

Granger is...interesting. Nutty burley, of course. There's a top flavoring that I quite enjoy. Others have referred to it as unpleasant and "plastic" tasting. I don't really get plastic, but I can't exactly say what the topping tastes like to me. Nutty burley, kinda sweet, and some "other" something. I quite like it! I believe it has more nicotine than either PA or SWR, but it's nowhere near strong. Mild-medium-ish.

Unfortunately, Granger bites my tongue. Admittedly, I've stuffed the soggy wet stuff straight into a cob (and found it to burn surprisingly well)...and been moderately uncomfortable smoking it. Today, I left a pile of it sitting out for about two hours to dry. When I came back to it, it was still a little moist but no longer sticky, and I'm smoking it now - the bite is much improved, but it's still there. Overly moist and bitey are huge red X's to me for a tobacco in this class, where tobaccos like PA and SWR are perfect right out of the can or pouch and never ever bite.

originally reviewed 10/24/2012

Pipe Used: cob

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Granger is another tobacco that looks and smells great in the pouch but is a total let down once lit. I found this in a 1.5 oz. pouch in a local shop and had to try. When I opened the pouch there was a glorious presentation of light and dark burleys, thick cut and looking very high quality. Pouch note was just what you would expect from a high class burley as well, nice and nutty with coco background. Moisture is a little excessive but still smokable. It loads and lights nicely but that is where the positives end with this one. There is almost no flavor to this blend. You get a slight taste of play-doh in an ashtray in a dark and dank basement. Not really an earthy but rather a dirty taste. It's a fine line that granger lives on the wrong side of. Fortunately, the taste is so light you can almost ignore it. No appreciable nicotine and a willingness to bite if it's puffing speed limit is surpassed. It will be several weeks before I give granger a chance to redeem itself. I really haven't smoked enough for a review but first impression was bad enough to not have another bowl.

Update 5.4.2016

Apparently the pouch I had is the old pinkerton variety and did not age well at all. Looking forward to trying the STG iteration. I think the pic here is the Pinkerton package. STG package has a different dog in a different position.

Pipe Used: crusty old cob

Purchased From: bandm

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Straight Burley Tobacco with hints of cocoa.When you open tub the tobacco smelled like Rum and Maple casing. Tobacco had a Rum and maple top note.The smoke was a full white smoke. The taste of Burley tobacco came straight through.This Tobacco was a rough cut, like broken flake or course cut.Reminded me of the similar Tobaccos listed below, did not remind me of Edgeworth at all.Tobacco burned cool with a very lite bite and after taste.The tobacco had the Rum and maple after taste after smoking.I would try it if you like Burley tobacco.

Pipe Used: Meershaum, Briar

Age When Smoked: NEW

Purchased From: Damage Freight Store

Similar Blends: Carter Hall, Sir Walter ,Prince Albert.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked this many moons ago when it was more readily available in most drug stores. This blend is just what the other reviews have noted, burley upfront and nothing special. I can tell you about that dog on the label. You have to treat him gentle or he'll bite a plug out of your tongue. Yes, this is burley that bites. It really has to be treated far to gentle to get any good flavor from it.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Age When Smoked: New.

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: Kentucky Club.