To mark the return of Russ' Monthly Blends, Russ came up with Russ' Monthly Blend - Pirate's Cove. This is an easy smoking blend of burley, black cavendish and a bit of ripe Virginia with warm notes of honey and vanilla plus a splash of rum. The aroma is pleasant and unobtrusive and it smokes so cool and bite free that it can be enjoyed all day long.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouelette
Manufactured Bypipesandcigars.com
FlavoringHoney, Rum, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

S8ntsfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S8ntsfan (19)

I tend to not get too involved in Russ' Monthly Blends, as I've had a few that were not my particular profile preference. I got hooked by the descriptions and once I smoked them, ehhh not so much. Pirate's Cove is one that filled the bill for me. I was looking for another liquor cased blend and found it. Nothing super remarkable about the blend, but there is something lurking that makes me keep firing up bowls of this. And as I've let it mature, it gets better for me. Just enough flavoring not to kill the tobacco and make it enjoyable. The aroma is on point and I like the way it finishes. Easily an all day smoke, and I don't think you'd get burned out (no pun intended).

Pipe Used: Old Dominion Cob, Baraccini Bent Apple

Pirate's Cove - Russ' Monthly Blend.

I've enjoyed a few aromatics this week, as opposed to my usual go-to blends; Vapers and Balkans. I think, due to the UK weather being atrocious, I've just wanted a more 'comforting' smoke!

My blend looks a little different to the picture here. The colour's mainly brown and it isn't as coarse; the ribbons are chunky, but a bit mesomorphic and stubby. The aroma has a sweetness to it, and the moisture was good imminently. So, getting a bowl lit is easy.

I get more of the honey and molasses-sweet rum than the vanilla. These two flavours are concordant with one another; like Sweet, and Sweeter! The vanilla underscores the smoke, it isn't a lead flavour. Where the tobaccos are concerned, the smoke seems quite defunct of black Cavendish, yet weighty with coarse Burley, which is supported by the Virginia. It burns well, generating a mid-temperature smoke, requiring little maintenance. But, I notice, with distain, it bites fairly easily.

Nicotine: above mild. Room-note: nice.

Pirate's Cove? Although it bites, because of the nice taste I'll give it the benefit of the doubt; it won't bite everyone! So, I recommend it:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Albert's Theory

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: TobaccoPipes.com

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (101)

I do love a good rum blend! If you find Barbados Plantation too heavily flavored, I would highly recommend this blend. The casing is light and does not totally mask the tobacco taste. Burns well with few relights. Great room note! This can be smoked all day

Pipe Used: Stanwell Author

Similar Blends: Barbados Plantation, Queen Anne's Revenge.

Dr. Kinsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Kinsey (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The very definition of an “easy smoking” blend. Nothing life-altering here, but you can’t make it bite even if you try. Room note is pleasant but the taste is just tobacco. It’ll do.

Pipe Used: MM cob