C&D's Burley Flake #5 is a robust, sweet blend of light and dark burleys, with zesty red and bright Virginias and just the right amount of dark-fired Kentucky.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #5.

When I received an email from Smokingpipes.com announcing this as their latest addition I ordered a tin imminently. Likewise, when it arrived in the post it never made it to my cellar; received, opened, smoked.

The blend has a build that's closer to #3 and 4: actual flakes. The first in the series were broken, #1 looked like thick ribbons, but #5 is a steadfast flake. This doesn't mean a formidable hand's needed, though, they begin to crumble at the slightest touch. They're fairly dark in colour.

A bowl lights easily, generating a decent burn, where the only fault lies with the heat: when puffed voraciously it becomes too warm. The Burley and Kentucky definitely outweigh the Virginia, but it doesn't taste like a fire-cured mess. The Burley gives a sweet, nutty, flavour and the Kentucky adds a touch of exuberance without completely dominating the flavour. The Virginia requires more identification, it can be picked out, but the calibre the other leaves have means it's a bit of an exerting task to do so. The main flavour's good, but what puts me off a little is a slightly 'dusty' top note; this detracts from the enjoyment.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant-ish.

Burley Flake #5? It's 'alright' but harbours a few negatives for much of a recommendation.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: L' Anatra

Grim_Tactics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim_Tactics (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I’ll be frank and say that I do not enjoy Virginia or VA/Per blends. Therefore, I don’t review them or buy them. I also detest blends where the VAs just stand out more than, say, Latakia or the accompanying tobaccos. I need VA to just sit down and shut up for me to enjoy a blend.

Burleys on the other hand are my forte. I love when a company puts out a good Burley Flake or uses it well in English blends.

What made this blend sing for me is the way the flavors sing their own tune but find a way to harmonize.

For example, on the first light I immediately noticed the Virginia tobaccos but also tasted the Burley. I didn’t know what to think at first because the VA was there, no hiding that, but I tamped and re-lit the bowl and sat back and just enjoyed what this offered up.

The VA’s danced ever so well that it went hand in hand with the Burley which is also very well balanced as to provide enough of that earthy sweetness and nuttiness without being overbearing. Add in the fact that the dark fired Kentucky plays more of a condiment roll and what you have is a smoke that keeps your attention.

The spice that the Kentucky adds should be thought of as a good rye - it imparts a spice that doesn’t over power but doesn’t linger longer than it should but you know it’s there.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this blend is it isn’t overly strong as some C&D blends can be. I found the nicotine to be noticeable but less so than Old Dark Fired and much less than Irish Flake.

The only negatives I will give this blend are:

1. If pushed too hard this blend will turn bitter and unpleasant. It’s similar to Irish Flake in regards to this. Slow your cadence and this will correct itself.

2. The end of the bowl can get a tad one dimensional. I very much enjoyed the vast majority of my time with this tobacco but the final leg of the bowl just became a bit boring. Nothing terrible mind you, but it just seemed to lose that “wow” factor.

With that being said I don’t think it should cost it any stars because I will stock up on this and enjoy this very much in the warmer months ahead. ODF is my favorite blend like this and Burley Flake #5 came very close to beating it but will sit a close 2nd.

Pipe Used: Peterson Royal Irish, Neerup Ida

Purchased From: SP

Similar Blends: Old Dark Fired, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Peterson’s Irish Flake.