A blend of aged latakia, rough cut burley and bright Virginia flake. Heavy in latakia.

Blended ByCornell and Diehl
Manufactured ByCornell and Diehl
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

About six months ago I found an Ebay seller offering three tins of this blend for one bid and, since I had never smoked nor seen this tobacco, I bid and won them. Not happy with the lightness of some English blends sampled recently, I looked in my stash for something promising to be heavier and came up with 43rd Anniversary Blend/Bonfiglioli by Cornell and Diehl. Yea, I sure got it all right. This English blend is both strong on Latakia and strong on Burley and I've never smoked a blend quite like it. On opening you might be tempted to label this one as a "Latbomb" from it's pungent and persistent odor but don't stop here - light it up. 43rd Blend smokes more even and controllable than any "Latbombs" I've ever tried and followed the familiar path of top third of bowl good, middle third of bowl best and bottom third back to okay. For those of us looking for the Virginia in this blend, well, its there but in the background serving an important function - controlling these other two potential beasts. As to aroma, there is a pungent sourness lurking behind the Latakia that I feel comes from the particular Burley(s) used in the formula and is present in both the tin and in the room smoke. I was really enjoying this blend when I began to use it as a strong English base in micro blending and this was an equally satisfying activity. So, all in all, you can guess that I really liked this blend, would buy more of it if I could find it and give it a deserved rating of four stars.

Pipe Used: Michael Parks Large Stack Canadian

Age When Smoked: seven years old

Purchased From: an Ebay seller

Similar Blends: This blend is at the strength level of Standard Tobacco of Pa.'s Latakia Mixture but the heavy presence of Burley, in addition to a pronounced presence of Latakia, makes this one unique..