A classic quality flake. The light Virginia tobaccos are matured slowly to ensure this masterpiece.

Notes: Discontinued Blend. Last production was in Denmark.

BrandDobie's
Packaging50g. Tin
Strength
Taste
3.2
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I managed to acquire about an ounce or so of this via a trade on PSF.com, I wasn't really expecting it so it was a pleasant surprise to receive it. The sizable slabs of dark tobacco were a little reminiscent of Dunhill Flake, if a little less lighter in colour. I was reliably informed it was aged ten years too so a win win.

The tin aroma was very mild, perhaps hints of fruits and the rubbing out was very easy, perhaps because the flakes were quite dry, though a good spot of rehydration made little difference to this. The packing and lighting were easy enough and the taste was of a rather nice, if mild lemon, all the way to the bottom. The only downside I had was the smoke was very quick and, probably as a result, the pipe got tremendously hot, often to the point of making it impossible to hold. Initially, I put this down to both the dryness of the of the tobacco and a tad too much keenness to sample it on my part. The good dose of rehydration I alluded to before and every attempt to slow my smokes down, however, proved rather futile, giving rather damp powder to an otherwise excellent smoking gun.

On the whole then, an excellent mild smoke, little different from other similar virginia flakes but definitely rates as good as any of them save for that hot burning. As for it being discontinued, I find it rather a shame that, given there are much poorer offerings still available, a very good quality tobacco is no longer generally available. However, given that there is no shortage of top notch tobaccos in the same vein as this one. Given this situation though, I will be keeping an eye open to see if this tobacco and it's brethen raise their heads on the open market once more and will be plumping for a tin should that occur.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

I was able to get a tin off Ebay. It is the rectangular small grey/silver tin, produced in Denmark.

What a nice unpretentious flake! It reminds me quite alot of yellow Capstan, but it does have more of the sweet 'n sour dried apricot scent to it than Orlik-made Capstan. Said aroma is the same as in the Danish-produced Four Square Red, but in smaller proportions.

Whereas Four Square Red, had approximate similarities to Old Gowrie, this is brighter, milder and somehow sweeter.

As a reviewer aptly stated: A blast from the past, and an excellent morning smoke!

Lovely!

Jakob kiilerich, Denmark

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was my first Virginia flake after years of aromatics. So I could say that this flake was my introduction to a more natural pipe tobacco. Fig and raisin undertones, a smooth smoke that I will always remember.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Less "strong" than the Medium navy Flake, this was still an enjoyable smoke. Four Square reeked of outstanding quality.

The small tin was so convenient to carry around, it barely took any room in my jean's pocket.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Another very mild flake very similar to light flake or larson no32, Quite nice but no longer availble I believe well not availble in England. So a blast from the past,.

Unfortunately, this was one of my regular smokes but I can no longer find it in the US. Mild, cool with a great natural flavor. If you like straight VA flakes, and find some of this blend, it's a must try.